Obama "Will Be Back," Says Deeds

Rosalind Helderman

For the second time in week, Democrat Creigh Deeds has virtually promised that President Obama will be back to campaign for him before the Nov. 3 election, even though no date for such an event has been set.

In an interview with Ryan Nobles of Richmond's NBC12, Deeds said, "President Obama will be back in Virginia." Nobles asked the candidate, "Within the next 19 days, we will see you and Barack Obama, standing on a stage in Virginia?" And Deeds answered, "You will, yes."

Deeds told Mark Plotkin something similar last week on WTOP. Yet, Obama has announced a rally for New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and so far, no such love for Deeds.

Deeds also tried to explain why he called himself a "Creigh Deeds Democrat" when asked at a recent debate whether he was a "Barack Obama Democrat." Was he trying to distance himself from the president?

"You know, I support the President, but I will not visit my sins upon anyone else. I support the President, I think he is doing a good job, I worked hard for his election last year, I want him to be successful. It is in the interest of every single American citizen that he be successful as President of the United States, But I speak for myself, I am my own kind of Democrat and I have always been a Creigh Deeds Democrat," he said, according to Nobles transcript of the interview.

You can watch the interview here:

By Rosalind Helderman  |  October 15, 2009; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Barack Obama , Creigh Deeds , Election 2009 , Robert F. McDonnell , Rosalind Helderman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deeds Raises $3.5M, $2.7M in the Bank
Next: First Click - Virginia

Comments

I think this column raises a really interesting question: How is a “Creigh Deeds Democrat” similar to, or different from, a “Barack Obama Democrat”?

Here are some initial thoughts about that:

DIFFERENCES
-The President is for nationalized health care; I believe Mr. Deeds is against it.
-The President is for the Cap and Trade Law; Mr. Deeds’ position on the law has varied, but he said recently that he’s against it.
-The President is for establishing more charter schools; Mr. Deeds is apparently against doing that.

SIMILARITIES
-As a trivia item, both have six letters in their first names and five letters in their last names. (Note: Mr. Deeds’ real first name is Robert, which also has six letters).
-Both are lawyers.
-Both have served as state senators; and, except for the nine months that the President has been the President of the U.S., neither has ever worked before as the manager/leader of any small or medium or large organization.
-Both are supported by Big Labor.
-The President was apparently endorsed by ACORN's political action committee in the last election; Mr. Deeds has supposedly received donations from SEIU, which I think was (is?) associated with ACORN.
-Both want to raise taxes.

Posted by: VirginianforFreedom | October 15, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Creigh Deeds has been running for governor since 2004 when he sent emails to people in Northern Virginia about his elections in Charlottesville. "Who is this Creigh Deeds," I said to myself then, "who is spamming me like this?"

He is a law and order former prosecutor is the answer to that question. Had he run as a Repubican, the people of Virginia would probably have liked what he stands for. He is one of those annoying people, persistent in politics as bisexuals were in bars in the seventies, or as the confused something or other beetle infesting your plants today, a person who is a Democrat in name only.

People these days are after designer labels. They don't care if something is beautifully made, of a fine fabric, and wonderfully comfortable. They'd rather wear something put out by Michael Kors.

So they look for the Republican label when Creigh Deeds is a Republican knockoff with a Democratic label. How's that for total confusion?

Too bad they didn't pick Brian Moran. He has a really good family image and is better looking than Deeds. Looks count for a lot in politics, which is as superficial as can be, as we are beginning to see.

Since when did The Washington Post, a bastion of sexism where affairs between male editors and their female reporters
has notoriously been the grand road to success for the women, decide that a policy that discriminiates against women is politically incorrect? What a joke!

Posted by: eyemakeupneeded1 | October 16, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Obama was here Wednesday, Dirty Deeds, where were you?

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 16, 2009 3:16 AM | Report abuse

VirginiaforFreedom . . . you cracked me up with the letters in their names. You forgot to mention both started their foreign policy experience with a visit to Lebanon . . . Virginia

Posted by: WeThePeopleofVirginia | October 16, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse

I just hope Obama does campaign for Robert C. Deeds. It will draw even more criticism and scorn. The Dem Party is out of favor right now and he would do best to just be quiet and produce positive ads rather than attacking McDonnell for 25 year old remarks. If voters vote issues of taxes and transportation then McDonnell wins by 10 pts.

Posted by: espnfan | October 16, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse