Palin a No-Show in Virginia

Anita Kumar

After the election last year, Republican Bob McDonnell expected former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin to campaign with him.

In the summer, even after Palin's stunning announcement that she was resigning as governor of Alaska, McDonnell said he would welcome her to Virginia.

This week, McDonnell made it clear that would not happen.

"There was a time earlier on when she was governor when I thought she would come here,'' McDonnell said after a candidates' forum in Loudoun County earlier this week. "But I think she seems to be busy with books and other things like that. We've still got about 20 different events scheduled down the road and she's not one of them."

But Palin adviser Meg Stapleton told Politico that her boss offered to help McDonnell. Calls and e-mails to Palin's political action committee were not returned. Her PAC donated $2,500 to McDonnell this summer.

Palin's visits to the state drew enormous, enthusiastic crowds of Republicans last year, but Democrats would have a field day with Palin's arrival if she did come here.

By Anita Kumar  |  October 9, 2009; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Anita Kumar , Creigh Deeds , Election 2009 , Robert F. McDonnell , Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Conservative Group Targets Deeds
Next: Palin: McDonnell Personally Asked for Help

Comments

McDonnell told me on a recent blogger call that it was Palin's staff that wouldn't respond to His campaigns repeated attempt's to bring Her out, They invited Her, got no response from her idiot staffers and moved on to focus on a campaign without Her. He was probably worried more about a no show event than a backlash. I say He should send her thru SWVA and the Valley 48 hours before election day.

Posted by: PWConservative | October 9, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

If Dirty Deeds provided serious competition, she'd be here like a gunshot, but she "can see from Alaska" Governor McDonnell has this thing in the bag..

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 9, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I think he will be better off without her. I cant see anyone taking a chance on what she would say.... she went to hong kong and critized POTUS.. so theres no telling with her..

Posted by: janeycat57 | October 10, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

And the Washington Post staff would just love to have Sarah Palin show up for Bob McDonnell so they could play "Pin the Palin on the McDonnell," right?

Posted by: Question_Assumptions | October 10, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I had to sign up in order to post a comment and this Bleeding Heart Liberal Rag. I can't wait for 2012 so we conservatives can bounce all that hope and change that Y'all voted for. Oh and Saracuda is the one that is going to do it.
And don't forget to catch Glenn Beck at 5pm on Fox News.

Posted by: corvette1992 | October 11, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

This article sounds just like his thesis. Reminds me of the fellow who always says "I can't be a racist, I have black friends." and then spends the afternoon telling Jokes about blacks, and has a noose hanging in his garage.

Micky-d-You can have it for free, shows more of his true colors:

McDonnell won't renew protection

Excerpt:

His opposition to an executive order banning discrimination, issued by Govs. Mark R. Warner and Timothy M. Kaine, "was not a philosophical issue. That was a separation of powers issue," McDonnell said.

His position against the order shouldn't be connected to beliefs McDonnell expressed in his graduate-school thesis 20 years ago that criticized feminists and gays, he said.

McDonnell said he didn't discriminate against gays when he hired people to work in the attorney general's office.

"I know for a fact" that gay people worked there from 2006 until this year, he said, and "They did a great job. All I cared about" was whether they met his requirement for getting results for Virginia, he said.

Posted by: maxtor0 | October 15, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse