McDonnell talks health care on FOX News

Anita Kumar

Republican Bob McDonnell criticized the health care package being written on Capitol Hill in a live interview today on Your World with Neil Cavuto on FOX News.

"I know our voters are telling us that they're concerned,'' McDonnell said. "While they think it's legitimate to address the cost and access to health care, turning over the greatest medical system in the world to the federal government is probably not a good idea."

McDonnell said Virginians are worried about increased costs, decreased choices and a interruption in the doctor-patient relationship.

Cavuto said Democrat Creigh Deeds was invited to appear on the show, but that he never heard back from Deeds' campaign. This is the third time in recent weeks that McDonnell has appeared on national TV alone with Deeds either declining or not responding to a interview request.

McDonnell said he supports a 72-hour window that would allow citizens and lawmakers more time to read massive bills, such as those involving healthcare.

"There's been some disappointments, certainly from Virginians, with the many bills that have come out of the United States Congress that are 1,000 pages plus that don't appear to be fully read or comprehended prior to the vote."

Cavuto asked McDonnell if federal issues are playing out in the Virginia governor's race.

"I've made an issue in my race about some of the things we do see coming out of the United States Congress -- cap-and-trade, card check, unfunded mandates, major new deficient spending,'' McDonnell said. "These are things that voters all over Virginia have told me they're concerned about. I've pushed my opponent on it. He's either ambivelent or for all those reforms. I've been steadfastly against them...It has been an issue in the race and I think it's one that's actually helping me with the independent voters in Virginia."

By Anita Kumar  |  October 22, 2009; 7:06 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Anita Kumar , Creigh Deeds , Election 2009 , Robert F. McDonnell
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shannon accuses Cuccinelli of 'states' rights' stance
Next: First Click -- Virginia

Comments

I could easily write something witty for a laugh at the expense of Creigh Deeds, but there is a more serious aspect to a character flaw we just witnessed.

Deeds missed 3 primetime opportunities to talk about his plans for the Commonwealth with Bob McDonnell and promote our State’s business friendly environment.

I have personally interviewed and hired many people in my lifetime and as a voter in this election, you really have to ask yourself if Creigh Deeds truly wants this job.

Posted by: WeThePeopleofVirginia | October 22, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

So, McDonnell widens his lead this week. Deeds refuses to appear on another show with McDonnell. Even though the Post surprises no one this week with its non-nuanced endorsement--i.e., McDonnell's a culture warrior and therefore bad--most Virginia papers endorse McDonnell. Yet Deeds wins Robert McCartney's scorecard.

One must question his relevance . . .

Posted by: OlMcCreedy | October 23, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Clearly Deeds spent too much time around the "Chickens" back home on the farm..This guy literally runs from debates! He's Forrest Gump for chrissakes..

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 23, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

In one respect this is the oddest governors race I have ever seen...one candidate (Deeds) never talks in his ads (except to say that he sponsored them). Only his surrogates talk. How can you be a credible candidate and not say anything on TV or radio? If you were from Mars and taking a look at this race I think you might conclude the Mark Warner or somebody else is the Democratic candidate...truly bizzare.

Posted by: dcmowbray1 | October 23, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

It is fairly simple to understand why Senator Deeds would pass on an opportunity to appear on FOX News. Why would he subject himself to an attack on national television by the GOP's TV hit men? FOX is about as 'fair and balanced' as a wolf chasing a one-legged dog! To be fair, I wouldn't expect to see Bob McDonnell appear on MSNBC with Rachel Maddow either. Now, if both were to appear on PBS or CNN, then that would be closer to a fair fight...even though McDonnell is obviously more gifted at public speaking. Senator Deeds knows that he is up against the ropes, but this fight is far from over and anyone who knows how campaigns ebb and flow knows better than to declare victory for either candidate. 10 days can be an eternity...

Posted by: HigherEducationAdvocate | October 24, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Healthcare the world over seems much more of an illusion, for far too many people that need it. My company http://www.smilemd.com is right now securing doctors and dentists for voluntary free clinics, for all those uninsureds throughout the USA, who still will not have insurance coverage, even after the dust settles on the great healthcare debate.

The irony of the issue that's left out of these debates we’re fighting this very moment, is that most people in this country die from viruses that are freely contracted. Whatever then will all your money buy?

Posted by: smilemd1 | October 24, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse