Pssst! McDonnell stumps in ... Arlington

Amy Gardner

Republican Robert F. McDonnell continued his "New Jobs, New Virginia" tour with a stop at a flower shop in the Cherrydale area of Arlington -- but don't tell the neighborhood!

Owner John Nicholson hosted the event this afternoon at the request of the National Federation of Independent Business, which is supporting McDonnell. Nicholson is a past chairman of the Virginia NFIB's Leadership Council.

"My wife said, 'Are you sure you want to do this? Our customers might picket us,'" Nicholson said with a laugh, making a reference to Arlington's overwhelmingly Democratic electorate.

Nicholson went through with the event anyway, giving McDonnell a short tour of his flower shop, Company Flowers, and talking about what he views as the bigger challenges facing small business today -- the Business and Professional Licensing tax and the high cost of health insurance, among others.

Surrounded by greeting cards and Halloween decorations and the heavy scent of roses, Nicholson said, "It's nice to see somebody who really understands business."

But then he added, "I disagree with you on widening I-66," prompting a grin from McDonnell and this response: "I know Arlington's had some objections to that. We have to find a way to improve it. How about if we double-stack it?"

In case anyone doubted it, there are Republicans in Arlington -- and Sally Linderman is one of them. Out to support McDonnell at his flower shop appearance, Linderman said she's been looking forward to his gubernatorial campaign for two years.

"He looks the part, he speaks the part, he carries the whole aura of the governor of Virginia," she said. "And we need a change."

By Amy Gardner  |  October 23, 2009; 3:21 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Amy Gardner , Election 2009 , Robert F. McDonnell
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New NRA ad for McDonnell
Next: RNC sends money to downticket candidates

Comments

Remember when the leftists wanted to make Obama president on November 5th? I say let's do away with the formalities, and make Bob McDonnell Governor right now. Timbo Kaine has bailed on us anyhow, why not?

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 23, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Quick: who do you think fits in more in Arlington--Bob McDonnell or a Creigh Deeds Democrat?

If you're hesitating, I refer you to the video of the last two debates . . .

Posted by: OlMcCreedy | October 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, there are plenty of serious Republicans in Arlington, there always have been, and there always will be.

I wish their party understood that better, I know the Va dems understand this sort of thing very well.

This whole idea of treating the state as some place to attempt to mold into a GOP golden child is a pile of horse crap. I wish they'd stop with that crap, but well they never will it looks like. They care more about that than running the state well.

Posted by: timscanlon | October 23, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I love that there was concern over their customers picketing them for having a Republican in their store. I am pretty sure if I refused to support a liberal-owned business because of their politics that those same people would call me narrow minded. I think the leftists in Arlington prove to me over and over who has the narrow mind. It was fun growing up a conservative in the People's Republic of Arlington.

Posted by: dtysko | October 24, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the "People's Republic"....the city of Falls Church is Arlington's handmaiden when it comes to leftist politics...but, take a drive through the neighborhoods and count the McDonnell signs versus the Deeds signs. Pretty amazing. Bob won't carry these left wing pockets, but he will do quite well and the entire R ticket will crush the Dems on the 3rd...

Posted by: dcmowbray1 | October 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had known that the next Governor of our Commonwealth was visiting Company Flowers so that I could ask him in what year he was planning to accept the invitation to become the Chairman of the RNC.

Posted by: sperowithane | October 24, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

So are all you Rs happy about the prospect of a double-decked I-66? What will that do to the ambiance around the flower shop?

And how many liquer stores will that cost?

Posted by: RRider3 | October 24, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse