The Kitchen Table: Disenchanted Obama voter, revisited

Sandhya Somashekhar

In August, we brought you the story of Chris Ann Cleland, a real estate agent from Prince William County whose buyer's remorse over voting for President Obama last fall was coloring her view of the Virginia governor's race. Obama was not the change agent he promised to be, Cleland said. "I feel like I've been punked."

The quote so resonated that it got picked up by New York Times columnist Frank Rich and scored Cleland an interview on Fox News. But two months later, we wondered what she had finally decided about the governor's race.

Well, she settled on Democrat R. Creigh Deeds. The reason, she said, came down to two words: liquor stores.

A few weeks ago, Cleland was so busy with her work and so tired of what she perceived as politics as usual that she thought she might not even vote in the election this year. But then she learned that Republican gubernatorial nominee Robert F. McDonnell had proposed privatizing state liquor stores to collect $500 million for road improvements, an idea that suggested a transformation of her community from tranquil to "trashy."

"While his plan may be thought out very well, I'll take my chances with the other guy, Deeds, because I don't want to feel like I live in Maryland or D.C.," she told us in a phone interview. "I like the way Virginia handles the liquor stores."

And how does she feel about Obama these days?

"I feel worse about him now," she said, citing what she viewed as his failure to adequately push for a public health care option and his deferential attitude toward misbehaving banks. "He just seems to be very self-interested and just continuing a run of bad choices, in my opinion."

The video we shot of Cleland back in August is below.

By Sandhya Somashekhar  |  October 20, 2009; 2:49 PM ET
Categories:  2009 Governor's Race , Barack Obama , Creigh Deeds , Election 2009 , Prince William , Robert F. McDonnell , Sandhya Somashekhar
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shannon blasts Cuccinelli for 'personal political agenda'
Next: GOP spoofs ads touting Post endorsement of Deeds

Comments

What a dope. Now she's getting punked in real time..

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 20, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Typical that the Post would make no mention of the fact that Creigh Deeds also supports the idea of privatizing liquor stores. Maybe if they did then the voter wouldn't make such a big decision based on bad information. Here's Deeds on WTOP for the idea of privatizing ABC stores:

Posted by: vapolitik | October 20, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Just a thought: Maybe this nimrod should quit voting for Democrats since they always seem to disappoint her after they have been elected. What's that saying..."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Posted by: VaCommonSenseConservative | October 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"What a dope." and "this nimrod"

Way to recruit voters who might go either way in the election.

Posted by: wpbrown46 | October 21, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"... citing what she viewed as his failure to adequately push for a public health care option and his deferential attitude toward misbehaving banks."

On the other hand, she really doesn't seem to understand the realities of life. Demanding a public health care option could result in no health care reform at all. Screwing the banks (and their top management no matter how much they deserve it - and do they ever deserve to be nailed) would screw the economy, and every American, even more.

Ms. Cleland should consider the deeper meaning of that old concept, cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Posted by: wpbrown46 | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse