UPDATED: Salahi resigns from tourism board

Washington Post Editors

White House party crasher Tareq Salahi resigned from the Virginia Tourism Board Monday.

Gov. Tim Kaine had asked hus Secretary of the Commonwealth Katherine Hanley to look into whether Salahi should remain on the board after the incident at President Obama's first state dinner. Kaine appointed him to the board in 2006 as his previous term on the Virginia Winery Board was concluding.

Sen. Thomas Norment, the Republican leader in the state Senate, asked Kaine (D) to remove Salahi from the board. Lynda Tran, Kaine's spokeswoman, confirmed his resignation today.

UPDATED: Lest you think Salahi was pinning his resignation on anything other than the White House incident -- needed more time with his family and all that -- no. In Salahi's resignation letter, released by Kaine's office, he makes it clear that he is stepping down to avoid becoming a distraction to the tourism board. Salahi's full e-mail, sent Monday, is below:

Dear Governor Kaine & Mrs. Alisa Bailey,

Due to the extraordinary misinformation resulting in the unfortunate negative and tabloid type media surrounding our attendance at the White House on November 24, 2009 and attendant issues thereto, I believe that my continued service to the Commonwealth of Virginia by serving as one of your Board of Directors for the Virginia Tourism Authority (VTC) could possibly be a distraction to all of the good work of the Tourism Authority Board.

It is with hope of the continued success of the Virginia Tourism Corporation that I tender my resignation effective immediately. I have enjoyed my years of proud volunteer service to the Commonwealth of Virginia serving under Governor Kaine and the last three consecutive Governors in my various political appointments.

Respectfully,
Tareq Salahi

Norment said he first met the couple when they showed up to help organize the 2007 celebration in honor of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown. He doesn't know who invited them -- or if they were invited.

He said Salahi guaranteed he could convince Queen Elizabeth II to come to Virginia for the celebration. (He didn't, but the organizers were able to do that on their own). Later, he said Salahi, who launched America's Polo Cup in 2007, said he would get his polo team to play the Queen's polo team and that he would bring in princes to participate.

Norment said organizers grew tired of Salahi and "terminated" their relationship with him and banned him from using any of the Jamestown commemorative logos or trademarks. But, Norment said, he later saw a photo of Salahi in a Virginia magazine that showed him in a polo uniform with the Jamestown logo.

Meanwhile, the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services last week began a formal investigation into the America's Polo Cup, the business entity run by Michaele and Tareq Salahi that the couple says raises funds for their charitable organization, as a host of other problems became apparent for the couple.

By Washington Post Editors  |  December 9, 2009; 1:41 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , Timothy M. Kaine  | Tags: Tareq Salahi
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Connolly: Apply extra TARP funds to deficit
Next: Prefiled Picks: Legislation to Watch

Comments

The best treatment for the Salahi`s is to ignore them.Hopefully,they will disappear into the past with the other buffoons who have snatched a few minutes of notoriety.

Posted by: bowspray | December 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Salahi says that they had reason to believe they were on the guest list. Why should he resign so quickly?

Tim Kaine is such a disappointment.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

A watch would make lovely parting gift!

Posted by: DrungoHazewood | December 9, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

They should be shunned and dropped from everything they have touched. They are liars, cheaters and crooks.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Now watch - this idiot will look for a way to sue VA as a result of his resignation - because of his stupidity....Its a great country we live in.

Posted by: short1 | December 9, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

A watch would make lovely parting gift!

Posted by: DrungoHazewood | December 9, 2009 2:18 PM

Now THAT'S funny!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Virginia tourism, about 15 years ago I went to an event at the Oasis Vineyard. It was very nice. Sorry to see that place going down the tubes.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | December 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Tim Kaine is such a disappointment.

==================================

Well, maybe. But I understood that Mrs. Salahi had crashed the Redskin Cheerleader reunion, and I've heard rumor that they also crashed a Congressional Black Caucus dinner. Leaving Gov. Kaine aside for a moment, perhaps the Salahi's are a bit like unwanted cockroaches, they just keep popping up and are a devil to get rid of.

Posted by: atidwell | December 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Is Mr. Salahi getting a going away present from Mr. Kaine? A parachute to help him land far far away, perhaps?

Posted by: philly3 | December 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

White House party crasher Tareq Salahi resigned from the Virginia Tourism Board yesterday.

=================================================

And so it begins, the downward spiral of the Salahis.....

See ya!

Posted by: MUPPET | December 9, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't see all the anger directed at the Salahis.

So what - it is clear they were trying to get a "ticket" - we all know there were no tickets.

I suppose the emails actually at one point centered in on people who they believed were not going, implying that the Salahis were attempting to get "tickets" of those people who were not attending.

So they got dressed up and went down there to see if they could get in - AND apparently they were let in.

That's the way it is.

I just do not see why some people appear to have anger towards them.

Posted by: 37thand0street | December 9, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"I have enjoyed my years of proud volunteer service to the Commonwealth of Virginia serving under Governor Kaine and the last three consecutive Governors in my various political appointments."

Anybody else find this alarming?? Did he REALLY have appointments by the last three governors??? (Warner, Allen, Gilmore...guess he's non-partisan!)

Posted by: silentnomore | December 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

A watch would make lovely parting gift!

Posted by: DrungoHazewood | December 9, 2009 2:18 PM

Now THAT'S funny!
______________________________

A "WORKING" Watch....!!!!

Posted by: fourtimesblessed | December 9, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Is it really a problem to be non-partisan?

Given the Salahi's penchent for embellishment and seeking the spotlight, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't really appointed by any of the previous governors. However, if he was, I find it alarming especially seeing his track record with both his parents and his own organizations that he has started. To me it seems that everything he is involved in is suspicious.

Posted by: spata1 | December 9, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I don't understand all this anger at this couple. Who I'm not happy with is the Secret Service - they dropped the ball in a serious way.

Actually, I feel a tiny bit sorry for the Salahis because this whole episode must be humiliating for them. That said, however, based on what has been said by people they owe money to, it sounds to me like they kind of had this coming to them.

I really hope that they use this to reexamine what they're doing in their lives. This could turn into a transforming event in their lives in a POSITIVE way, but only if they get honest with themselves about what's been motivating them (quest for fame, impressing other people, etc)... and don't try to play the victim in this.

I bet that they're really fun people and it's obvious they have a lot of chutzpah. My guess is that they're both incredibly creative people, but that their creativity has mostly been applied in a "criminal mind" sort of way so far. Maybe if they take a more humble approach to life, they can use their talents do a lot of good for the world.

Personally, I wish them the best.

Posted by: sumipatel1985 | December 9, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I am appalled by the Salahi's arrogant behavior. They opened the security of the White House to world-wide ridicule and compromised our President's safety. I'm not sure why they shouldn't/couldn't be charged with treason.

These people are far worse than just "celebrity" con artists. How can you not be upset? The fact that they hood-winked so many high profile individuals and groups is frightening. Condoning their actions is as bad as supporting them.

Posted by: arm1218 | December 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

". . .unfortunate negative and tabloid type media . . ."

Excuse me?

Who was aspiring to get themselves in a trashy tabloid-type so-called "reality" cable television show?

Be careful what you wish for, because sometimes you just might get more than you bargained for.

Posted by: LAWPOOL | December 9, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

fr the article:

>...Due to the extraordinary misinformation resulting in the unfortunate negative and tabloid type media surrounding our attendance at the White House on November 24, 2009 ...<

Translation: I'm a cheat and a phony and I wanna leave town now.

Posted by: Alex511 | December 9, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt his "years of proud volunteer service" date back as far as Gilmore's term. Are there any online records to verify this claim? If anything, I think his "service" may have begun under Kaine.

As to why people are angry at the Salahis? Perhaps it's because of their "years of proud volunteer service" of ripping off everyone they came in contact with?

Posted by: fishcandy | December 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

37th wrote>>>I just do not see why some people appear to have anger towards them.

They're con artists.
They lie, don't pay their bills, and blame others when THEIR con is revealed.

Posted by: angie12106 | December 9, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

blas wrote>>>Salahi says that they had reason to believe they were on the guest list.

She also said they had an invitation, but she never produced it.

Posted by: angie12106 | December 9, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe had they flown in a "baloon" over the Whitehouse and Mrs. Salahari vomitted over the tents....We may had forgiving them and send Mr. Salahari to anger management classes and founded him a real job....

Yes and all would be right with the world on this "Holiday -(full-moon)- Season!"

Posted by: danders5000 | December 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, I don't understand all this anger at this couple"
Look a little deeper, the anger is justified. Forget about the White House incident and this couple still doesn't rise to the level of pond scum. They have no conscience, use legal thuggery to cheat honest people out of monies owed them, and worse, they steal from sick children through their completely bogus "charity" "Journey for the Cure", which they advertise as sending 100% of all proceeds go to the charities, when in fact the number is probably less than 2%... the other 98% going in their pockets. I'm happy you feel sorry for them, sumipatel1985, and wish them the best. Unfortunately you are a moron.

Posted by: bromo999 | December 10, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse