Sissy Spacek claims Virginia as home, pushes film industry

Anne Bartlett

There's nothing a legislative body likes more than celebrities, particularly hometown stars who step forward to state their affiliation with their states.

So lawmakers, who were already wowed once by Wayne Newton this year, went fairly gaga over Oscar-winning actress Sissy Spacek, who visited the Capitol today along with her husband, production designer Jack Fisk. to push new incentives for filmmaking in Virginia. She lives in central Virginia.

Spacek attended a mid-morning press conference with Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R) and legislators who have sponsored the tax credit bills. Dressed in a crushed black velvet skirt, a deep grey tweed jacket and a red plaid scarf--looking a bit like a horsewoman--the Texas native took the microphone in front of a crush of television cameras.

"As my mother always reminded me, Virginians settled Texas," she began.

She went on to say that for years, she would tell people she lived on the East Coast or in the Mid-Atlantic. "I was greedy, I didn't want to share it," she said. But she said that after years of leaving the state to work, she believes it is time for Virginia to compete for productions. Bolling and Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) have been pushing new spending on the film industry as a way to create jobs in the economic downturn.

"I just think it's time for Virginia to get a piece of the pie," said Spacek, perhaps best known for her roles in "The Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Carrie."

Afterward, she was escorted into the Senate chamber, where Sen. Creigh Deeds (D), who represents her farm home, brought her forward to the dais. Clutching her hand, Deeds murmured to her, "This really is a great honor." As senators stood in honor, Bolling presented Spacek with a porcelain vase bearing the name of the state.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you didn't break it! she said.

"Me too," he said with a smile.

By Anne Bartlett  |  February 16, 2010; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  2010 legislative session , General Assembly , General Assembly 2010 , Rosalind Helderman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Romney, McDonnell call into Bolling's radio show
Next: Cantrell, Hare join McDonnell's administration

Comments

Just don't take her to the prom.

Posted by: ajlerner1 | February 16, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Christ, I thought she was dead.

Posted by: kinkysr | February 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I wish she could do something to get to her uncle, Rip Torn, about his drinking.
She should never forget it is genetic.

Posted by: SoCali | February 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, if that isn't the biggest non-sequitor, SoCali.

Posted by: chunche | February 16, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope she's a democrat.

Posted by: Reality6 | February 16, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the rest of you; But I've been wanting to plug here since she first hit the screens. I tell you; there isn't any as better than one of those RidgeRunners that you have to teach them everything. They can teach you how to change a tire on their house, but that's it...

Posted by: BlackRock11 | February 16, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Is this really news? As far as I know, she's been living outside of Charlottesville for at least 20 years now.

Posted by: 1fasthoo | February 16, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how much of any type of financial incentives will end up with Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting or his university (Regents) which produces alot of propaganda, now with McDonnell in office. Also, I wonder how many right wing "films" will now be funded because of the new Supreme Court ruling allowing such productions slamming candidates.
McDonnell jumped on this right away, so one has to wonder why he is so enthused.....

Posted by: jjjva | February 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse