Webb asks IRS to investigate U.S. Navy Veterans Association

Anita Kumar

U.S. Sen. Jim Webb (D) is asking the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the legitimacy of the U.S. Navy Veterans Association, a charity under scrutiny in three states.

Webb, a member of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee Subcommittee on Personnel, sent a letter to IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman Friday.

Webb notes that the organization filed a tax return for their Virginia chapter claiming that it provided services to 2,204,405 Virginia residents in 2009, but "there is little evidence of services being provided on such a vast scale."

"I know you share my concern that we should minimize the opportunity for unscrupulous organizations to mislead or exploit our nation's veterans,'' Webb wrote. "Therefore I would appreciate your prompt attention to this matter, in accordance with all applicable rules, regulations, and statutes."

Following a six-month investigation, the St. Petersburg Times was able to locate only one of the group's 85 state and national directors and officers -- Bobby Thompson of Tampa.

Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) and House Speaker Bill Howell (R) said they were donating campaign contributions they received from Thompson to established veterans charities. Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R), who received more than $55,000 from Thompson, has not followed suit. Cuccinelli political director Noah Wall has said the attorney general will donate Thompson's contributions if he is convicted of a crime related to misappropriating charity funds.

Read Webb's full letter below:

May 28, 2010

Douglas Shulman
Commissioner
Internal Revenue Service
U.S. Department of the Treasury
1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20224

Dear Commissioner Shulman:

I am concerned about a 501(c)(19) organization allegedly providing services to veterans in Virginia. According to recent press accounts, the U.S. Navy Veterans Association (USNVA), otherwise known as "U.S. Navy Vets," is under investigation in at least three states for its legitimacy, fundraising activities, and expenditures on behalf of veterans.

As the enclosed St. Petersburg Times article notes, the USNVA filed a tax return for their Virginia chapter claiming that the group provided services to 2,204,405 Virginia residents in 2009. However, there is little evidence of services being provided on such a vast scale.

In addition to questions regarding USNVA's services to our veterans, investigators have been unable to locate individuals who purportedly serve on USNVA's various boards of directors because addresses and other legally required information have not been accurately documented in the organization's tax filings.

Despite these alarming reports, tax records indicate that the USNVA has solicited millions of dollars from Virginians and residents of other states for its programs.

I know you share my concern that we should minimize the opportunity for unscrupulous organizations to mislead or exploit our nation's veterans. Therefore I would appreciate your prompt attention to this matter, in accordance with all applicable rules, regulations, and statutes. I would also appreciate your furnishing me with a report of your findings.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
U.S. Senator

By Anita Kumar  |  May 28, 2010; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar , James Webb , Ken Cuccinelli , Robert F. McDonnell
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frederick endorses Fimian in GOP race to face Connolly in Northern Virginia
Next: State braces for health care cuts after Congress fails to extend enhanced Medicaid spending

Comments

Hey Jimmy babe, I'd be more concerned about the Communist in the White House you march in lockstep with, if I were you. (and I thank my personal god I am not)

Posted by: wewintheylose | May 28, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

weWHINE: you suck donkey dongs

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | May 28, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The nonprofit saying it provided services to 2,204,405 residents of Virginia is like Webb saying he represents 7,567,465 residents of Virginia (the estimated population of the state). There's little evidence of services being provided on such a vast scale by Webb either.

Posted by: blasmaic | May 29, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey wewintheylose: Do you ever shop at WalMart? Then YOU are the communist supporter-Try reading a book for a change and stop listening to Glenn Beck--who's mother and stepbrother ther both committed suicide rather than acknowledge their relationship to him! ( See we liberals can be name calling meanies too!)

As for Kookinelli--he is far too busy redesigning State of VA lapel pins to be bothered to INVESTIGATE possible crimes. I mean 3 states have already opened fraud investigations so why would the AG? Doing his actual JOB would grossly interfere with promoting ultra-right wing propaganda from his perch--

One can only wonder: Why did Ken get $ 55,000 when even the Governor only received $ 5000--It's not like he might have promised the now-missing Bobby Thompson something?

Posted by: suec716 | May 29, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

listen, you pansy, girly-boy republican fat slobs....you're all talk and no walk.....webb is a veteran and deserves some respect....

a veteran that has been wounded in battle is deserving of respect, regardless of his/her political views....I am sick and tired of sissy, pansy, girly-boy fat slob republicans running around insulting people like jim webb....that goes for you pansy, pinhead, left wing, draft dodging democrats that like to run your mouths too....why don't all of you go back to whatever two bit brothel from which you all were issued.

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | May 29, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Mr Cuccinelli, who investigates anything that he disagrees with, apparently doesn't think this is worth his time.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | May 29, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Stupid poor misguided Va conservatives who think that people who talk the talk actually walk the walk. Some times it is what you actually do and not what you say. I guess if I called your house and said Hi I'm representing the Church of bow it out my ear, and I'm trying to raise money for Sarah Palin's wardrobe fund, Republicans would drool, reaching into their purses and donate a portion of their Cracker Barrel money to the cause. Go with God, Go with somebody, but just Go Cuccinelli, you are a useless waste of space!

Posted by: keithlb28 | May 30, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse