McDonnell appoints supporters to universities's boards of visitors
Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) announced Thursday that he has appointed several of his biggest supporters and top donors to the board of visitors of four of the state's premiere universities.
Sheila Johnson, co-founder of Black Entertainment Television and one of McDonnell's most prominent black supporters, was appointed to the University of Virginia board. R. Carter Pate, a partner with PricewaterhouseCoopers and a major Republican donor who was Sen. John McCain's Virginia finance chairman, was named to the George Mason University board. Suzanne S. Obenshain, a Virginia Tech graduate and the wife of Sen. Mark Obenshain (R), will serve on the Virginia Tech board.
It's common for governors to use board of visitors appointments -- the most prestigious appointments they have to offer -- as a thank-you to longtime supporters and friends.
See below for the full list:
The College of William and Mary
· Charles A. Banks of Gloucester, Partner with Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, LLC
· Edward L. Flippen of Richmond, Partner with McGuire Woods LLP
· Laura L. Flippin of Arlington, Partner with Paul Hastings LLP
· L. Clifford Schroeder, Sr. of Richmond, President of Chronos Limited
George Mason University:
· Nancy Mitchell Pfotenhauer of Oakton, President of MediaSpeaks Strategies, LLC
· C. Daniel Clemente of Alexandria, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Clemente Development Company, Inc
· R. Carter Pate of McLean, Partner with PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLC
· David-Imad Ramadan of Loudoun County, President of RAMA International Inc
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University:
· William B. Holtzman of Mt. Jackson, President of Holtzman Oil Corporation
· Suzanne S. Obenshain of Harrisonburg, Alumna Class of 1984
· Michael Quillen of Bristol, Chairman of Alpha Natural Resources
· John G. Rocovich, Jr., of Roanoke, Chairman of Moss & Rocovich Attorneys at Law
The University of Virginia and Affiliated Schools
· Hunter E. Craig of Charlottesville, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hunter E. Craig Company
· Marvin W. Gilliam, Jr. of Bristol, most recently Vice-President of Cumberland Resources Corporation
· Sheila C. Johnson of The Plains, Chief Executive Officer of Salamander Hospitality
· Mark Kington of Alexandria, Managing Director of X-10 Capital Management
July 1, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories: Anita Kumar , Robert F. McDonnell
Save & Share: Previous: Penn State clears Mann in Climate-gate probe
Next: Gay rights group "disappointed" in McDonnell college board appointment
The comments to this entry are closed.