Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
About this Blog   |   On Twitter   |   Follow us on Facebook   |   RSS Feeds RSS Feed

Prince William wants feds' information on illegal immigrant charged in nun's death

By Jennifer Buske

Prince William County has sent a freedom of information act request to federal officials seeking information related to the investigation into Carlos A. Martinelly-Montano, an illegal immigrant who is charged with killing a nun and injuring two others in August while allegedly driving drunk.

The Prince William Board of County Supervisors is requesting copies of all reports the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement division have related to their investigation into why Martinelly-Montano remained in the United States despite having two previous drunk driving convictions.

Martinelly-Montano, 23, entered the United States illegally at the age of 8 and was awaiting a deportation hearing when the vehicle he was driving struck a car carrying three nuns in Bristow. Sister Denise Mosier, 66 who was heading to a retreat at the Benedictine Sisters monastery, was killed.

Prince William officials also are requesting copies of all correspondence and reports concerning or memorializing any department or division contacts with Martinelly-Montano. The request states that the local government has an "important interest" and "concern" in informing its citizens regarding this matter.

Martinelly-Montano was indicted in September by a Prince William County grand jury on charges of felony murder, driving on a suspended license and maiming resulting from driving while intoxicated.

A senior official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said earlier this year the results of an investigation by Homeland Security into why Martinelly-Montano went almost two years without a deportation hearing would not be released. The official said they did not want to make the information public because of "law enforcement sensitivities."

By Jennifer Buske  | November 17, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Immigration, Prince William  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two weeks after campaign win, Rigell to close auto dealership
Next: Defense Department to investigate Mark Center move

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company