Posted at 11:48 AM ET, 01/24/2011

Allen officially enters race for U.S. Senate

By Anita Kumar
Anita Kumar

Former senator George Allen (R) officially announced in an e-mail to supporters Monday that he is running to reclaim his old job next year.

"You know me as someone willing to fight for Virginia and I am asking that you hire me on for six years to fight on behalf of Virginia's voices and values which are being ignored by Washington,'' Allen wrote.

The former Virginia governor also produced an online video and is expected to file his candidacy papers with the Federal Election Commission so he can begin raising money. But he will not launch his campaign publicly until later this year, probably on Thomas Jefferson's birthday -- April 13 -- the formal start of his last two U.S. Senate races, according to sources close to Allen who were not authorized to speak publicly about his plans.

Allen's candidacy thrusts him into a tough primary fight for the Republican nomination against several possible candidates running to the right of him, and into a possible rematch with Sen. James Webb (D) in what will probably be one of the most-watched Senate races of 2012.

Webb said in December that he would announce a decision on whether he'll seek reelection in the first quarter of this year.

Last month, Jamie Radtke, chairwoman of the Virginia Tea Party Patriots Federation, became the first Republican to jump into the race. Radtke, who did not seek a second term as tea party leader last month and who worked for Allen right out of college, challenged him to joint forums.

At least three others have said they are interested in running: Corey A. Stewart, chairman of the Prince William County board of supervisors; Del. Robert G. Marshall (R-Prince William) and Bert Mizusawa, a businessman and lawyer who ran against U.S. Rep. Scott Rigell.

Read the e-mail to supporters below:

I wanted to tell you directly that later today I will launch my bid for the U.S. Senate by filing my declaration of candidacy and sending out a statement to the press.

If you have a moment I encourage you to click my video message below. It will be posted on my website later today, but only allies like you can view it right now.

You know me as someone willing to fight for Virginia and I am asking that you hire me on for six years to fight on behalf of Virginia's voices and values which are being ignored by Washington.

Over the last several years, Susan and I have traveled throughout Virginia talking to people anxious about losing their jobs and their homes. We have heard from many parents worried that the rising national debt will rob our children of future opportunities.

And from people frustrated that Washington continues to ignore their concerns.

It's time for an American comeback with leaders who listen to 'We The People,' adhere to foundational principles, rein in spending and start creating opportunities for more jobs.

To get there we'll need to listen to Virginia voices - and fight to repeal the government mandated healthcare plan, pass a balanced budget amendment and line-item veto, and reduce our families' energy costs by unleashing our American resources and creativity.

If given the honor and responsibility of serving Virginia in the United States Senate, I pledge to work hard for the voices, values and prosperous future of Virginians.

Susan and I look forward to seeing you on the trail ahead including when we do an official kick off tour later in the year. We want to continue spending time with families across Virginia listening and discussing ideas for achievable reforms that will put our country on the path to prosperity. Please check back to www.georgeallen.com for campaign updates and events.

Thank you for standing strong for freedom!

By Anita Kumar  | January 24, 2011; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  Anita Kumar, Election 2012, George F. Allen, James Webb, U.S. Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill would allow McDonnell to appoint member to Metro board
Next: 5 Democrats sign on to sponsor McDonnell's transportation bill

Comments

hrmmm...tough choice though.

War Hero or Chicken Hawk. Let me see....

Posted by: mikefromArlington | January 24, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I can never vote for this man. Always telling me I'm a bad person because I don't believe some of the things he does.

Posted by: jeadpt | January 24, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I can identify that Webb has done was have an opinion piece published in the Wall Street Journal that complained about minorities.

Posted by: blasmaic | January 24, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Another repub retread nobody wants.

Posted by: Glimpy | January 24, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Virginians would be idiots to re-elect this racist goon!

Posted by: bobby20 | January 24, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Where is my macaca t-shirt?

Posted by: FoundingMother | January 24, 2011 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Why's he sound like he's talking to a bunch of 5 year olds. I guess he realizes who his target audience is for this.

hrmmm...tough choice though."

****

He's talking to his racist, bigoted base, so you're not far off there.

Posted by: dcp26851 | January 24, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

he's the perfect candidate now the republicans are openly racist.

Posted by: calif-joe | January 24, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

What, no sports cliches? He must have new advisors. How this California carpetbagger rose to the top of Virginia politcs is beyond me.

Posted by: Natmeister | January 24, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

he still sounds like a loser.

Posted by: MarilynManson | January 24, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Just combine Virginia with West Virginia. Cluckers of a feather ...

Posted by: blackforestcherry | January 24, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Allen, go back to California and Cucinelli go back to New Jersey. We have plenty of home grown fruitcakes like Gov. McDonothing, we don't need any imports.

Posted by: hodgensr | January 24, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i'm so glad he's running!! so i can watch Webb beat him again!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cai1 | January 24, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

He's officially in, and I'm officially helping Webb.

Posted by: clarkesq | January 24, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Webb did an excellent job with his leadership on the the new GI bill. I can't identify anything Allen has accomplished as a Senator, except reflexively voting for the most extreme right wing legislation he can find. The kind which has bankrupted our country while sending our jobs overseas to corporate America's factories in China.

Posted by: Mendel | January 24, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I hate the pop the bubbles of all the leftist commenters here, but guess what? Allen thinks you're nothing but a bunch of leftist airhead losers. And he's right.

Posted by: Azarkhan | January 24, 2011 6:41 PM | Report abuse

The Macaca Man is back--or trying for a comeback. In VA it just could happen, but Macaca Man will never get my vote.

Posted by: yenta1 | January 24, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

[yawn] [cat sound]

Posted by: WmLaney | January 24, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Allen has a shot, but I think a lot of Republican primary voters are ready to move on to a younger, newer candidate. The primary should be wide open.

Posted by: Simon23p | January 25, 2011 4:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, he's not listening to Virginia voices if he's against healthcare.

I sent him an e-mail telling him so.

i do not intend to support him. We got rid of Nye who betrayed us on health care, we're not replacing him with another who doesn't.

Posted by: giollab | January 25, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I supported Allen for years, but I voted for Webb in 2006 because it would have been hypocritical for me not do so. See, for years I've felt, and have not hesitated to say, that Jim Moran is an embarrassment to the 8th District because of his constant Jew-baiting comments. A member of Congress should have better judgment than to make those sorts of statement in public. I thought Allen did an excellent job as governor, but after his infamous "macaca" moment, it would have been highly hypocritical of me to brush that off, especially given that in his case he said it directly to the target of his statement (whereas Moran spouts off to whomever happens to be listening at the moment).

Whether I'd vote for Allen in 2012 would depend in part on how he responds to the inevitable media onslaught regarding that comment. I tend to discount the Washington Post's stories on such things because they tend to invent a story and then carry on with it long after it proves irrelevant (see: their continued stories about their smear effort on McDonnell's thesis). But the "macaca" thing won't be limited to the Post.

Posted by: 1995hoo | January 25, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse