Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
About this Blog   |   On Twitter   |   Follow us on Facebook   |   RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 1:03 PM ET, 01/31/2011

Northern Virginia counties receive more snow disaster aid

By Jennifer Buske

The commonwealth received additional federal funds Monday to help cover the costs associated with digging out from last winter's snowstorms.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency allocated just over $3 million to the Virginia Department of Transportation for reimbursement of expenses related to snow removal in Prince William and Loudoun counties during the December 2009 and February 2010 storms, FEMA officials said.

Roughly $1.4 million of the funding will go to Prince William, and $1.6 million to Loudoun, FEMA officials said. To date, more than $45.7 million has been approved to Virginia applicants affected by the storms.

The grants, plus administrative costs, represent a 75 percent federal share of project costs, FEMA officials said, noting that the remaining 25 percent will be paid with non-federal funds distributed by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.

Also on Monday, FEMA announced that it will award an additional $1.2 million in snow disaster aid to the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative. The funds will help cover expenses incurred for the removal of debris and restoration of power in Fairfax, Loudoun, Fauquier, Stafford and Prince William counties during the February 2010 storm, FEMA officials said.

By Jennifer Buske  | January 31, 2011; 1:03 PM ET
Categories:  Jennifer Buske, Loudoun County, Prince William  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill to send existing sales tax to Northern Virginia for roads faces 'tough' future
Next: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to host meetings on conservation plans for wildlife refuges

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company