Customer Service Hangs Up

If you want to get out of your cellphone contract, try calling the company a few hundred times, reports staff writer Kim Hart.

Sprint Nextel is disconnecting service to about 1,000 subscribers who call customer service excessively, company spokeswoman Roni Singleton said. The terminated contracts represent a tiny fraction of Sprint's 53 million subscribers, and it's the first time the Reston company has used the measure.

The terminated subscribers called customer service an average of 25 times a month over the past six to 12 months, mostly complaining about billing or technical problems that Sprint was unable to resolve. Some called as many as 300 times a month, Singleton said. Customers did not have to pay a termination fee, and they were given until the end of July to find a new carrier.

"The bottom line is that we were not able to resolve their issues," Singleton said. "We wanted to allow them to find another option that would make them happier."

By Dan Beyers  |  July 7, 2007; 5:57 AM ET  | Category:  Sprint
Previous: On A Hiring Tear | Next: The Morning Brief 07.08.07

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

It's amazing what people will do to get out of a contract:)))

Posted by: Veness | July 7, 2007 9:46 AM

Businesses don't need customers like corporations don't need profit.

I hope the dropped "problem" customers get a $200 "reward" because Sprint broke the contract early.

Posted by: Pam | July 7, 2007 10:09 AM

Sprint has always used Bully Tactics. The dropped customers should demand reimbursement for any telephone equipment charges that they may incur in changing companies, and any disconnection and connection to a new service charges. Many of the people that I know had awful customer service problems with Sprint. When you think about it, a company the size of Sprint should have special customer service problem solvers for problems that are not solved by the lower echelon of customer service agent groups, but that would be too much of a bother, wouldn't it? Get rid of the incompetent that suggested getting rid of customers with a problem and put in someone who can handle the customer service job.The problem is you Sprint.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 7, 2007 10:53 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 7, 2007 10:54 AM

Good for sprint, it shouldnt get pushed around by the ghetto customers that cant pay their bills anyway. If not knowing how much you run your mouth is the cell phone carriers responsibility, than good...good writtens to you.

Posted by: marcus | July 7, 2007 2:28 PM

Good for sprint, it shouldnt get pushed around by the ghetto customers that cant pay their bills anyway. If not knowing how much you run your mouth is the cell phone carriers responsibility, than good...good riddance to you.

Posted by: marcus | July 7, 2007 2:29 PM

si senor,
as long as i can call my children, i like sprint...i am not even a citizen and they still give me service

Posted by: pablo | July 7, 2007 2:31 PM

I like sprint, i can go to erika to pay my bill and she ask me to add a line. i have 28 phones.

Posted by: juan | July 7, 2007 2:32 PM

Sprint sucks! The service is lousy and they lie about it in their commercials.

Marcus, you only have to post your thoughts once.

Posted by: DON'T USE CELL PHONES NOW | July 7, 2007 2:34 PM

There are a ton of these goofy software billing issues, they can't fix. So I suppose nuking em isn't a bad solution. Considering they are switching their billing system from P2K to Ensemble.

Doesn't bug me a whole lot, now they can go buy an Iphone... lol.

Posted by: NightWing | July 7, 2007 6:12 PM

When is had Sprint, emphasis on HAD, I called them 18 times for one issue. These people aren't dead beats, they are the standard customer that has to deal with Sprint service. I hate Sprint and I spread the ungodly word of them.

Posted by: Idiots. | July 8, 2007 2:24 AM

I think Sprint's poor attitude permeates it's culture in all departments, not just customer service. Just today I'm travelling on the highway in the left lane. I'm about to pass a semi with a Sprint truck behind it. Just as I'm about to pass, the Sprint truck pulls in front of me. I have to hit my brakes hard to keep from hitting him. He looks in his rearview mirror and has the nerve to wag his finger at me. Then, he slows down so he's now going slower than the traffic in the right lane. Yes, Sprint sucks all the way around. I will never be their customer.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 4:02 PM

sprint is bull go with someone else

Posted by: mathew anderson | July 11, 2007 12:35 AM

I have Sprint. Any problems I've had have been taken care of to my satisfaction. My husband is a truck driver & is satisfied with his service nation wide. Some people can't be satisfied. What cell phone service is perfect?

Posted by: Connie | July 14, 2007 10:03 PM