Sunrocket Reportedly Will Cease Operations

From the Associated Press:

Internet phone service provider SunRocket, which had as many as 200,000 customers nationwide, has ceased operations without warning.

The move by SunRocket, which offered service via Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP, was reported last night on The New York Times' Web site.

It was confirmed by Martin Pinchinson, a spokesman for Sherwood Partners of Palo Alto, Calif., who said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that the financial consulting company was handling SunRocket's liquidation.

A message left at SunRocket's headquarters in Vienna was not immediately returned. The privately held company's Web site was still up last night. But SunRocket's customer service line offered callers a brief recording: "We are no longer taking customer service or sales calls. Goodbye."

The company also laid off what its chief marketing officer called "a significant number" of employees July 3, five days after the firings of two top executives, Chief Technology Officer Mark Fedor and Chief Information Officer Robert Kramer. The company's chief financial officer, David Samuels, resigned July 2.

Some people identifying themselves as SunRocket customers on Internet discussion boards were complaining about outages Monday, while others said their service was working. The company has been known to have periodic outages in the past.

SunRocket, which started in 1994, was one of the first companies to offer Internet phone technology, and reported about 200,000 customers as of April, second only to Vonage Holdings as a stand-alone VoIP provider.

By Mike Shepard  |  July 17, 2007; 11:03 AM ET
Previous: Morning brief 07.17.07 | Next: Sallie Mae Profit Up 33 Percent

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

This is the problem with the pre-paid service. They apparently burned all the money collected from 1/2 year subscription to pay the current bill.

I am going to sign up for LINGO - Monthly plan...No more yearly subsciption.

Posted by: SR customer | July 17, 2007 11:56 AM

My service is still working as of noon on Tues, July 17th, but my colleague's service stopped working last night.

If you are a Sunrocket customer, I suggest disputing the credit card charge with your credit card company. I only became a customer on June 9th, so I think I have a decent chance of recouping my $200.

What a lousy way to shut down the company and leave 200,000 customers in the dark.

Posted by: Brian | July 17, 2007 12:04 PM

I also lost my service last night. Thinking it was just another outage I wake till today to follow up with sunrocket. So when I got home from work I called customer service. I was shocked when I heard the phone voice message " "We are no longer taking customer service or sales calls. Goodbye." I hung up the cell and looked on the internet and found this. Up until now they have always been great. I have loved their service for the past two years. What happens?

Posted by: Ken | July 17, 2007 6:34 PM

Posted by: Ken | July 17, 2007 6:34 PM

I signed up for VOIP.com service today the 18th after experiencing some difficulties and finding out that SunRocket is going belly up.

Purchased the $199 full year plan with 30-day guarantee that way if SunRocket hands me off to a competent VOIP provider I can cancel with VOIP.com and not incur any set up charges, shipping charges, etc. I think it is a good backup plan for the next 20+ days.

Posted by: Kerry | July 18, 2007 3:35 PM

I found this great site with news on SunRocket and information on how to port your number to a new provider. They compare the other top Providers and even have an 800 for Vonage so that you can talk to a person about porting your existing SR Number. I just got free activation and first 2 months free with Vonage.

Good Luck