Value Added: The Hunks' Way of Doing Things

Here's Tom Heath's latest column on greater Washington's entrepreneur set:

So here I am, writing the second column in a couple of months about a pair of guys in their 20s who started a seemingly silly business and are earning way more than me. I am full of both jealousy and admiration.

If you can get past the name, College Hunks Hauling Junk, without laughing, there's an important business lesson here: Just do it.

Nick Friedman and Omar Soliman, two buddies who attended the District's Sidwell Friends School with Chelsea Clinton, will gross more than $2.5 million this year running a trash-hauling business that started as college summer jobs.

They own a fleet of eight trucks in Washington, employ 20 part- and full-time employees, and have franchises in 13 cities, including Baltimore, Richmond, Chicago and Los Angeles.

The business has gone from a room in Friedman's parents home in Northwest Washington to a warehouse in Rockville and a national call center in Tampa. These are the guys you call to clear out the garage or get rid of the old computers and printout machines in the basement.

What the name says.

When the two entrepreneurs were heading into their senior years at college, Friedman at Pomona College in California and Soliman at the University of Miami, they used a van owned by Soliman's mom to sell themselves as furniture movers. After dinging up too much furniture, one customer suggested they stick with trash. They became garbage haulers, distributing fliers and relying on word of mouth. They split $5,000 for the summer and went back for their senior years.

Soliman took the idea and turned it into a business plan that won him a $10,000 award and first place in an entrepreneurial competition at Miami. The two were working as consultants in Washington a year later, Friedman at Marsh & McLennan and Soliman at the Advisory Board, when they decided to revive the company.

"We were both getting antsy crunching numbers for somebody else and making $50,0000. I sent Omar an e-mail asking, 'When are we going to start College Hunks Hauling Junk?'" Soliman responded in all capital letters. "MY TIMELINE IS RIGHT NOW."

So they just did it. They made a check list. Brand, logo, Web site, truck. Initial financing from parents. Soliman's business plan had them eventually going national. They stole their orange and green company colors from Soliman's University of Miami Hurricanes.

"Getting business was a combination of guerrilla marketing, using the truck as a billboard, giving presentations at networking functions like a Chamber of Commerce happy hour in Chevy Chase. We would go and bring our business cards and wear our orange-and-green suits," Friedman said.

I estimate that Hunks Hauling Junk throws off around $500,000 in profit, although Friedman would not confirm that. He and Soliman, who are president and chief executive respectively, earn six-figure incomes and roll the rest back into the company.

Friedman owns four homes in Washington, including a residence on Nebraska Avenue and three remodeled rental townhomes elsewhere in the city. He also owns stock in Apple, Google, Research in Motion and Wells Fargo bank. I caught up with him on his cellphone while he was helping to set up the Tampa call center. Soliman was in Los Angeles working with a franchisee.

"Our primary goal is go get into the top 100 metropolitan markets around the country, to scale up and become a household name," said Friedman. They advertise on the Internet and expand the brand through direct mail. They also troll for business at industry trade shows for groups like property managers and remodelers, both of which are industries that need stuff hauled away.

Of the $2.5 million in gross revenue, $1.2 million comes from the D.C. business and the rest from a 12 percent cost levied on gross revenue from the 13 franchisees. Franchisees can buy a territory for $25,000, adding $12,500 for every additional territory. The fees help cover the cost of the call center.

In return, the founders teach franchisees how to run the business. They also help them find clients and provide coaching and support on how to haul trash. The call center - at 1-800-JUNK-USA -- sends franchisees business.

That 1-800 phone number comes from a medical company in Michigan. Friedman and Soliman found it by cold-calling 800 numbers with "junk" in the name and bought the number for $13,000. Almost immediately, the got a big job cleaning out a warehouse for US Airways in Fairfax. It was 50 truckloads worth and paid thousands. They were still operating out of Friedman's parents house in Northwest.

They learned how to price jobs by trial and error. When they lost money hauling away concrete, they decided to charge extra for heavy items like dirt and concrete. They pay dumps $60 a ton to get rid of the trash.

Another headache was knowing how many employees they needed on a given day and getting them to show up. Hunks pays $10 an hour to their part-timers, but they started adding bonuses of up to $50 a shift based on customer feedback. It became easier to find help.

They also had trouble getting taken seriously. One property manager in downtown Washington didn't like the image of college kids hauling stuff from a law firm in Class A space. Hunks put together reference material from customers like US Airways. They got the job.

Friedman and Soliman couldn't get a bank loan without a credit history, so their parents co-signed the $50,000 loan for their first Isuzu truck. The only current debt is $240,000 on the eight dump trucks in their fleet.

The single homeowner is still their biggest customer, constituting 60 percent of their business. But the housing slowdown has reduced demand. Friedman said that customers used to sell their house at a big profit and not care about what it cost to get rid of the trash left behind. But that has changed, with houses selling for less and sellers keeping a close eye on what they are paying. As a result, the company is targeting commercial office buildings, currently 20 percent of revenue and growing, for more business. The rest comes from real estate agents and remodeling businesses.

The biggest cost is $400,000 for labor annually. The next biggest cost is $75,000 for insurance. Gasoline, dumping fees and $3,000 a month for the warehouse round out the rest of the costs.

The company was only a year old in 2005 when Freidman and Soliman they paid $250,000 for a franchise consultant to tell them how to set up a national franchise network. They plan to have 100 franchisees within the next two years, putting them at their goal of being in the top 100 markets.

And they recently founded a new company called College Foxes Packing Boxes.

The name of the spinoff is a display of the same tongue-in-cheek marketing employed by its anything-but-hunky founders.

"We started out with the idea that clean-cut college guys doing the work, operating an unglamorous business with shirts tucked in and doing manual labor, had some allure to it," Friedman said.

By Terri Rupar  |  September 16, 2008; 5:34 PM ET  | Category:  Value Added
Previous: Roundup: HealthExtras, OpGen, Constellation, CSC | Next: Early Briefing: Estate Turns Retirement Community

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Great article! I used to work for College Hunks my junior yr of college. It was the most fun job I ever had. This is a great place to work for students looking to make some extra $. Keep up the good work guys!

Posted by: Alex Gausling | September 16, 2008 8:49 PM

Great to hear such an inspiring success story of young entrepreneurship during this time of economic unrest!

Posted by: Rodney Moreno | September 16, 2008 8:54 PM

You guys should get someone from the Harvard Business School to write a case about you. Keep it up.

Posted by: Justin Hakuta HBS Class of 2010 | September 16, 2008 9:04 PM

great stuff! where do i sign up for a franchise? we sure could use one down here in New Orleans to clean up the hurricane mess.

Posted by: Peter | September 16, 2008 9:05 PM

That's crazy! I can't believe they're doing so well--and so fast! I can't believe that trash hauling can make so much money! I'm inspired and intriugued. (And also Jealous!!)

Posted by: Brandon Swisher | September 16, 2008 9:06 PM

I've seen there signs in like 5 cities. Keep up that guerilla marketing and good job fellas!

Posted by: Frank Petrakis | September 16, 2008 9:12 PM

I see thier orange and green trucks all over town.

My son just started 1st grade and I think College Hunks Hauling Junk would be great speakers to the school and community organizations. They seem to have a compelling story and a fun business attitude, they are dedicated and even donate to a college fund, according to thier website. The kids would learn alot about the recycle process and how to reduce and reuse - important lessons in the times that are ahead of us.

Keep it up guys (and gals - can't wait for College Foxes Packing Boxes)

Posted by: Brian Cheboski | September 16, 2008 9:12 PM

From a marketing perspective, these guys have done everything right! They chose a name that says exactly what they do, and it's both fun and memorable. They set the business up knowing they wanted to franchise it, which was another very smart move, and finally they deliver consistently great service which is why their business continues to grow. This is a great entrepreneurial success story that shows that not all 20-somethings make their mark in high tech - these guys have done well in a very low tech industry. It's proven to be a great niche market.

Posted by: Catherine Read | September 16, 2008 9:16 PM

That was a great story...I had no idea...Im speechless.

Posted by: Justin Frazier | September 16, 2008 9:20 PM

I always wondered about the story behind their trucks, which I seem to see all over. This is more interesting than I expected! I really enjoyed it and I too am inspired and a little jealous.

Posted by: Diane Herman | September 16, 2008 9:25 PM

Very interesting article! Hunks can haul junk from my step mother's house any day! So in the job interview - do you have to be cute to work there?

Posted by: Caroline A. | September 16, 2008 9:35 PM

Brains, brawn, bold. Youth is on their side. Follow this company as I have and know they will succeed. Think Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook. They soon will become a household name.

Posted by: Kathleen Ryan | September 16, 2008 9:51 PM

What a great success story! Especially today when all we are hearing about are failing businesses. I'm sure this is not the last we have heard about these 2 guys....I have a feeling there will be more successes in their future.

Posted by: Debbie Segal | September 16, 2008 10:01 PM

What a great story. And this profile of the business is an interesting and helpful summary of a small business in the making. I disagree about "getting past the name" however -- I think the name is a fun and memorable hook that sets them apart. Please come to NYC -- I have boxes to haul and would welcome some college hunks to do the job.

Posted by: Nora Ryan | September 16, 2008 10:04 PM

Sounds a lot like 1-800 Got Junk...but more fun! Very interesting marketing and I love the female version of it. Very clever.

Posted by: Sean Keener | September 16, 2008 10:10 PM

Anything-but-hunky? They are ADOREABLE! I've seen other articles in a local magazine about these boys. It made me wish I had something to haul away just to be able to hire such an inventive, motivated team!

Posted by: Geneveive Herdler | September 16, 2008 10:42 PM

Now THIS is an interesting, well-researched article! I really appreciate the in-depth look at how the economy has affected their business, and how these guys adjusted. Well done, Heath!

Posted by: Dominic Rivers | September 16, 2008 10:44 PM

That's a great article! I love to read about DC entrepreneurs going national. Move over Got Junk!

Posted by: Milan | September 16, 2008 10:46 PM

Very inspiring story. I've got to be up at 6am, yet still found the time read all about this entrepreneurial journey. Seems like we'll be hearing lots more about these guys and I expect we'll soon see them on Oprah ;-)

Posted by: Steve D. | September 16, 2008 10:47 PM

I want my grandkids to work for these guys so they will come to know the value of a college education :)

Posted by: Mike Fitzgerald | September 16, 2008 11:13 PM

Love the college foxes spin off. Excellent name choices for both.

Posted by: Sandra | September 16, 2008 11:19 PM

Great work guys! Keep rolling...

Posted by: Brandon S | September 16, 2008 11:25 PM

Damn, it's refreshing to read an article that actually offers a glimmer of hope in these economic times. It just goes to show that hard work, clever marketing and a committment to customer service can work in any economic cycle. Hats off to Washington Post for the timely and thoroughly enjoyable story, and major kudos to the College Hunks.

Posted by: Dan Berkon | September 17, 2008 12:06 AM

I see the Orange trucks all over the place! Parked in the Mall parking lot. It is great! Young Professionals making their moves. Proof that it just takes an idea, doing something different and guts to make it.

I loved the article!

Posted by: Ryan Coleman | September 17, 2008 12:11 AM

Very impressive, guys!

Posted by: Christina | September 17, 2008 12:54 AM

College students looking to make extra pocket money, this is the job to have. I worked for the company a while ago and they sure know how to take care of their employees. Plus these guys are not just business men; they are very well vested in their community through volunteer programs, and their effort to going green.

Posted by: Ante Afahame | September 17, 2008 1:06 AM

Interesting story. They chose a niche market and stuck with it. Low barrier to entry, but they seemed to differentiate themselves and stand out among the crowd. Should be interesting to see how they are received as they expand into other cities.

Posted by: Bill W | September 17, 2008 1:59 AM

It sounds like an interesting business concept that is not so common here in Germany. Hopefully it will catch on!

Posted by: Janel W. | September 17, 2008 2:32 AM

These guys are an inspiration and hope for anyone trying to make it in this world. This a great story of two friends who show what a little belief and a lot of tenacity can do for ones confidence. These guys sound like they have charisma, style and creativity. Its great to see two close friends share a common passions to succeed. They are the future of the fortune 500. keep it up!

Posted by: Adam Gluck | September 17, 2008 3:07 AM

Just goes to show the power of an idea, when it's backed up by action. Good for these guys! I love it!

Posted by: Glenn K. Garnes | September 17, 2008 5:29 AM

Fantastic article! And more importantly, a fantastic business! I applaud these gents. Junk is taking over the world. I've used College Hunks to remove items from my home. What a relief. Getting rid of stuff is so much harder than bringing it in. Harder yet is finding someone who will come in and get it ... quickly, reliably and safely. Their story is inspirational and instructive. Their universities should bring them back to school as adjunct business professors.

Posted by: Alvin | September 17, 2008 5:58 AM

good piece!

Posted by: Mark Amtower | September 17, 2008 6:38 AM

Excellent inspirational article, illustrating how young people with imagination, incentive, and willing to work hard can establish themselves in a useful and profitable business. Right up there with The Container Store story.

Posted by: Rob Ransone | September 17, 2008 7:08 AM

Wow! Truly inspiring... I always got a smile on my face whenever I saw the trucks going by. I didn't realize that these guys had gone national and were doing well. Way to go guys.

Posted by: Mirza Baig | September 17, 2008 7:38 AM

What a great concept! Everyone has trash of some sort; many of us don't have the time to take care of it and for the larger items well they sit, so taking this concept and made it a huge success! Congratulations, to all your hard work it has certainly paid off! We look forward to meeting you at Perfect Networker or any other venue of networking!

Posted by: Tammy Bowers | September 17, 2008 7:47 AM

What a great concept and article! Truly shows that even with the economy in hard times, small businesses can still THRIVE. Keep up the good work:)

Posted by: Chris Marxmiller | September 17, 2008 7:54 AM

Great article! (Gets the engine going in the am.) More articles like this would be a good thing.

Posted by: Mike Parkinson | September 17, 2008 8:18 AM

This is a great story. It just goes to show that if you are serious about business nothing will stop you from achieving. This is a great story for business owners jsut starting out.

Posted by: Barry | September 17, 2008 8:29 AM

What a fantastic story about a start-up doing well, especially in these economic times. I noticed the bright orange and green trucks, and called them when I needed to pack up my aunt's apartment. They provided a great service, for a fair price. I wish the 'Hunks' well, and I love the name of their new company - I saw a red and white 'Foxes' truck. Go get 'em, College Hunks Hauling Junk. Well done. You will be a National name in no time.

Posted by: Brooke Waskewich | September 17, 2008 8:40 AM

I am so happy to see this company being recognized once again. Nick Friedman and his staff are service providers to my concierge service and it is the greatest pleasure to be able to refer the professionalism they provide.
Initiative and know-how - please post it on the front page to inspire others.
Kirsten Borden
President
McLean Concierge Services, LLC

Posted by: Kirsten Borden/McLean Concierge Services, LLC | September 17, 2008 8:43 AM

Inspiring story. They used the strong fundamentals of our capitalist economy and have built a great, successful company. Do they still have the green and orange suits?

Posted by: Kathy G. | September 17, 2008 9:01 AM

Great idea. Great names. Makes people remember them. Wish them all the best

Posted by: Bev | September 17, 2008 9:13 AM

What a GREAT story! They took a cute idea, and ran with it. Needless to say, these "Hunks" are brilliant businessmen! It's great to hear such a successful story these days.

Posted by: Roberta Biese | September 17, 2008 9:16 AM

Great article, a little long, but a true success story. I have hired CHHJ in the past for jobs and they have accomplished them on time and very efficiently. I am a real estate agent and have also referred them to many of my clients!

Posted by: Katrina | September 17, 2008 9:17 AM

This is the exact kind of spirit we need in business -- companies that serve local communities, create local jobs, teach people the value of honest work (and reward them accordingly) and have fun while doing it. Kudos to Nick & Omar.

Posted by: Rich Schmidt | September 17, 2008 9:21 AM

A colleague referred me to this article. I enjoyed it. Simple idea turned big. Solid message and value proposition. And I love your spin off/complementary model College Foxes Packing Boxes. Much success.

Ira Koretsky
The Chief Storyteller
blog: www.ChiefStoryteller.com

Posted by: Ira Koretsky | September 17, 2008 9:24 AM

What a great story and an inspirational piece for all of us to continue pursuing our goals. An idea is just an idea without taking action!

Posted by: Mali Phonpadith | September 17, 2008 9:36 AM

It is wonderful to see them being recognized for their creative, energetic spirit. They may be 'young' entrepreneurs but they are true professionals. Keep us posted on their progress.

Posted by: Hazel Eringis | September 17, 2008 9:41 AM

It is so good to hear of young people succeeding in such a big way and having fun doing it. What creative young men. What a wonderful lesson for all of us, if you have an idea go for it!

Posted by: Sarah Kesselring | September 17, 2008 9:51 AM

Very inspiring. Reminds me of Two Men And A Truck, a very successful Lansing, Michigan moving and storage company (now national) of similar origin. I'll be contacting these folks about bringing their program to Michigan. Very reasonable franchise cost as well. Go Blue!

Posted by: Tim Kaltenbach | September 17, 2008 10:01 AM

I thought 20-somethings were supposed to be all about entitlement and having things handed to them.

These guys EXPLODE that stereotype.

Glad to see there are those who still combine sweat equity with basic business sense and a willingness to take a risk to provide something of value. Go Hunks!

Posted by: Dennis | September 17, 2008 10:11 AM

Excellent enterprise. Inspirational endeavor. I hope they soon get a call from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posted by: Gary G. | September 17, 2008 10:31 AM

As a Professional Organizer, I can definitely say that many of my clients need the service College Hunks Hauling Junk provides, and we've used them for several organizing projects. I've been very pleased with their level of customer service and am glad they're doing well. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Deb Lee | September 17, 2008 10:42 AM

Terrific article. Success stories like this one, with the indications of continued growth - particularly in the face of variations in the economy - are very encouraging for the entrepreneur or one pondering a new start with a new business. Much appreciated the level of detail and the brief insight into the thinking of the founders!

Thanks for the story.

Posted by: Clyde L. | September 17, 2008 10:49 AM

Great story, very inspiring for those of us running our own businesses and fighting every day to build and maintain our future.

Great job guys, congrats, and keep it up!
Stop in to say hi if you're in Bethesda!!

Posted by: Chef Tony of Visions | September 17, 2008 11:00 AM

I have called College Hunks Hauling Junk and this positive, "can do" attitude goes right down to the person answering the phone. They've got customer service down.

Posted by: Donna Lopez | September 17, 2008 11:01 AM

Great article! I am always fascinated to see how people get their start. Congrats to Nick and Omar for following their dream and making it happen.

Posted by: Amber McCrocklin | September 17, 2008 11:15 AM

Sounds like a pretty good idea. It would be nice to see something like this in every major city.

Posted by: Calvin | September 17, 2008 11:28 AM

All college student should read this article to see what's possible. My son had a lemonade stand and other small means for making money. He enjoyed reading this too and is thinking, which is good.

Posted by: Dee | September 17, 2008 11:36 AM

Great Article!! Keep up the great work. I have work with these guys and it is a pleasure doing business with them. Very professional and I highly recommend them to very one.

Posted by: Matt Simmons | September 17, 2008 11:40 AM

What a story. It nice to see this generation taking their energy in such a positive direction. With everything they've done and learned, this should be a book!

Posted by: Dave Herkshire | September 17, 2008 11:40 AM

What an awesome story! Since we are getting nothing but negativity in the news these days, this is a welcome and refreshing change!

Posted by: Zabrina K | September 17, 2008 11:52 AM

cool

Posted by: gina | September 17, 2008 12:48 PM

Thanks Tom,
In this moment of the USA nationalizing an insurance company and bailing out a bunch of crooks it’s great to hear about a pair of hands-on, hardworking, young American entrepreneurs keeping capitalism alive.
I would’ve preferred having their website address but will call 1-800-JUNK-USA. I’m renovating a Manhattan apartment and will get their help clearing out some junk.
Better yet depending on the deal maybe I’ll buy a franchise (or decide to compete).
Give me Friedman’s cell phone number. I want to ask if their IPO is in the works.
Thanks for being (as Forbes magazine used to say) a “Capitalist Tool,” Dale Pon

Posted by: Dale Pon | September 17, 2008 1:03 PM

Sounds like a great business idea. I keep seeing their signs all over so they must be doing something right. I have used there "competition" in the past and found them expensive and not very helpful. Definately a need for new, young blood!

Posted by: Eric Olinger | September 17, 2008 1:10 PM

It's nice to see someone's dreams, ideas, and hard work pay off. In return, youo are performing a great service. Great work guys!

Posted by: Patti Maluchnik | September 17, 2008 1:31 PM

cool

Posted by: gina | September 17, 2008 1:33 PM

Great story, turning garbage into gold. The entrepreneurial spirit at its finest.

Posted by: Jon Roiter | September 17, 2008 1:37 PM

Innovative, impressive, and inspiring. It is one of the most well thought out and creative marketing plans I have seen and is refreshing to see a business that is not only out to help people but also the community (through recycling junk and college scholarship programs). Maybe I could start a college foxes franchise in Phoenix...

Posted by: Kristin | September 17, 2008 1:57 PM

I met Nick in 2005 and was immediately impressed with the CHHJ story. They have a plan and a can do attitude.

I have referred clients to them many times. Their customer service is great, they show up on time, they clean up the area and are friendly. They have created smart alliances with organizations that compliment their services. Intelligent, clever and determined young business men. Congrats!

Kim Oser, Certified Professional Organizer®

Posted by: Kim Oser | September 17, 2008 2:11 PM

They're not Hunks -- far from it. I hired them hoping to get some good looking college kids to help the time pass as a married mom with 5 kids. I wanted a fantasy for the day and dressed up in my robe waiting for them. Let's just say I was extremely disappointed in their appearance.

Posted by: Truth be told | September 17, 2008 2:33 PM

This sounds like an impressive business model. Good luck to Nick and Omar with the franchise opportunities and to the Washington Post- keep profiling these guys. It's nice to see local businesses thrive.

Posted by: Kim J. | September 17, 2008 2:45 PM

Great idea -- very inspiring! =)

Posted by: pelirroja | September 17, 2008 2:56 PM

Great story. These guys seem poised to explode. When I first started reading, I thought these guys might be a strong number two in the market, but as I read further, I started thinking that their competitors better watch out. These guys have their act together. Nice to see a story like this.

Posted by: Mark Siebert | September 17, 2008 3:52 PM

Congrats to the Hunks. Shows what hard work and entrepreneurial drive can do.

Posted by: Ellen | September 17, 2008 4:38 PM

Great article and great idea! I love the entrepreneurial spirit. Way to go guys!

Posted by: Pennie Hawks | September 17, 2008 4:42 PM

You have to admire these individuals for following a dream, that most would think would be to silly to pursue. God bless you guys and I pray for your continued success.

Posted by: TheCreditBuilder.info | September 17, 2008 4:53 PM

Fabulous idea well executed. And the responses are so interesting in that they all seem to marvel at what these two 'hunks' are accomplising. I was particularly impressed that they coughed up $250,000 to hire a franchise consultant to take them national. My compliments to the Post for taking such an indepth look at two young innovators!

Posted by: Milton Waldoff | September 17, 2008 6:40 PM

I noticed the trucks around town all summer in Howard County. What an inspiring story...I can't wait to show this to my son. He is a freshman in college this year. This just goes to show that if you work hard and never give up, you can achieve success. If I ever need junk hauled away, I am going to be sure to get a college hunk to do it!
Theresa Robertson
Virtual Christian Administrative Assistance
www.vcaaoffice.com

Posted by: Theresa Robertson | September 17, 2008 8:00 PM

Great article and great story. Really impressed with these guys. I just want to see more of their trucks in Brooklyn -- I have a lot of junk I need hauled!!

Posted by: Scott Hechinger | September 17, 2008 8:18 PM

Great article. Great name. My wife told me just the other day when we saw one of the trucks, "With a name like that, I would definitely call them to haul stuff for me instead of some other company."

Posted by: Jamie McIntosh | September 17, 2008 9:51 PM

really good article ... nicely broke down a lot of the aspects of running an entrepreneurial business like this.

on the website it makes reference to some green initiatives and i heard about some scholarship program they are trying to do. whats the latest with those efforts?

Posted by: Nick Tandon | September 17, 2008 10:03 PM

Way to go, guys! You are an inspiration for all of us parents with teenagers, and every high school in the country should require students to read about your success! Best wishes!

Posted by: Karen Bailey | September 17, 2008 10:21 PM

I am thoroughly impressed with these young men. Their business has excellent customer service, a memorable name and a logo and colors that stand out. Everything that I have heard about them is positive and encouraging. I wish them nothing but continued success.

Posted by: P. H. Smith | September 18, 2008 7:22 AM

What a great story! We could all do with their services at some time during our lives. I hope their story inspires other young people to believe in themselves and realize that you can have the life you want, if you have an idea and are willing to work for it. Wishing them all the best.

Jacquie Ross
CastAway the Clutter!

Posted by: Jacquie Ross | September 18, 2008 8:17 AM

What an interesting success story -- to be able to build up a recognized brand and easily franchised business model in just a few years is very impressive.

Basil P. Alexander - Regional Manager
O'Connor Construction Management, Inc.
www.ocmi.com

Posted by: Basil Alexander | September 18, 2008 9:05 AM

Please note that Nick Friedman really goes the extra mile to give back to the community! Case in point: we were in the middle of planning our High Holiday Services for a brand-new Jewish community, Shirat HaNefesh, when we realized we did not have a truck available for a very large Yom Yippur food drive. Nick quickly offered to send a truck with a crew and make sure all of our non perishables will be delivered to Manna Food Center in Rockville.

On behalf of Shirat HaNefesh, I thank you again Nick!

Posted by: Lisa Jo Finsrom | September 18, 2008 9:17 AM

Ditto to Lisa's kudos. For our first-ever food drive at Shirat HaNefesh, it's great to have help from College Hunks. Their success story is an inspiration, too...

Posted by: Paula | September 18, 2008 9:33 AM

It just goes to show you that there is plenty of room in our society for innovative thinking and clever marketing. It's what makes the USA great!

Posted by: Ray Butchko | September 18, 2008 1:30 PM

what an ingenious idea , i have some stuff that needs to be hauled i live in tampa so i am about to call these guys

Posted by: tamer | September 18, 2008 2:45 PM

It's an inspiring story that any hard work with a good plan and management can succeed in business. They are lucky to have parents who are able ro cosign when financial assistance is neeed and believe in them.

Posted by: Sue Vittas | September 18, 2008 7:50 PM

I've seen the growth of certain franchises and certain franchise industries over the years and this reminds of the home service concepts, such as Maid, Lawn Care, Handyman, Painting, etc that people laughed at when first started and now are huge business models. Junk Removal and its cousin, Recycling, is here to stay, it appears, and this College Hunks programs appears to be leading the way.

Posted by: George | September 19, 2008 1:38 PM

As the mother of a college student, I love using these articles as a "See you can do this too!" lesson. Hard work does pay off and when you hire and involve all of your college buddies, this makes the hard work a little more palatable. I am very pleased that the College Hunks put a large percentage of their profits back into their community and spend the time to recycle what they can! I can't wait to read the next article about this inspirational team!

Posted by: Vicki Aylor | September 20, 2008 2:52 PM

Great article.

Posted by: Brad Freeman | September 22, 2008 1:37 PM

What is the number for College Foxes Packing Boxes?

Posted by: Elliott Spitzer | September 22, 2008 7:30 PM