Late Night Humor

Here's Jon Stewart last night: "A provocative speech from the president of the United States, delivered in the heart of a Middle East capital. How will it play with the extremists?" For the answer, he rolls a Fox News montage.

"The main takeaway from Fox: 'Why are we even talking to these people?'" Stewart says. Then, speaking directly to Fox, he says: "You're the network that most vociferously and enthusiastically supported our attempt to reform an entire region through military action, but where you draw the line is conversation?"

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Looking for Comity in the Muslim World
thedailyshow.com

Stewart also riffs on NBC's White House special.

By Dan Froomkin  |  June 5, 2009; 9:31 AM ET
Categories:  Late Night Humor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cartoon Watch
Next: Quick Takes

Comments

And the point would be? Oh, I see, Stewart is someone we should take seriously when it comes to issues of state and not look to him as the comedian that he is. Now I know Fromkin is a comedian, so maybe this is an effort by Froomkin to help us take him more seriously. Not likely. I mean look at the picture of him that he uses on the WP website. Makes me laugh everytime.

Posted by: mmourges | June 5, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

mmourges,
Did you even watch the clips?
Did you comprehend FauxNews' assumption that we should NEVER talk to people as it might prevent us from going to war?

FauxNews talking heads are their own worst enemy.

Posted by: boscobobb | June 5, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

There is truth in humor and Jon Stewart, though primarily a comedian, is both funny and truthful, which is more than can be said for many commentators, especially from the right wing fringe. As for Dan Froomkin, he is also truthful, backing up his pieces with actual facts (as opposed to cherry picked or made up facts from those like Cheney and his minions) and asking people to make up their own minds. He even provides a forum for people who disagree to post their views, whether they are based in reality or fantasy.

Take Froomkin seriously? I'd rather take someone like him seriously than many I see posting comments and spouting the fox news propaganda. As for him posting links to Stewart or Colbert, he's just injecting some humor. Lighten up! Personal beliefs should be strong enough to take some joking around.

Posted by: allenofwoodhaven | June 5, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

At least Stewart doesn't try to pretend he's a serious news reporter, though he is more insightful than most.

Most of Fox News (and, to be fair, most of MSNBC) is to news reporting what pro wrestling is to sports.

Posted by: Gallenod | June 5, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Still wondering when Froomkin will focus on the current White House, instead of referring back to the previous one.

Just like he did while covering Bush. He never got drawn into looking at past WH actions.... so why is he doing so now?

Maybe because he is just a lib hack like his readers and posters.

Posted by: alutz08 | June 5, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

alutz08:
Did you not watch the clip? It was about Pres. Obama's speech in Cairo, and the Fox News reaction to it. No mention of Bush there. And yes, Froomkin does at times look back at the Bush administration. That's due to the fact that the horrendous problems our country is now facing were created by the arrogance and incompetence of that administration. Since Pres. Obama is now the one who is left to fix those problems, I think looking back is germaine, don't you? By the way, are people like you and mmourges ever going to attempt to state cogent opinions, or are we doomed to suffer only your usual snide comments?

Posted by: bienefes | June 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"By the way, are people like you and mmourges ever going to attempt to state cogent opinions, or are we doomed to suffer only your usual snide comments?

Posted by: bienefes |"

You know as well as I that they are incapable of stating cogent opinions.

Posted by: thrh | June 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Cogent opinion? Ok, I think Obama is very naive and arrogant on his views of the world. This is primarly the result of him never having held a job that require the management of money or the defense of anything. He was an urban grass roots organizer, taught constitutional law and served 2 years in the US Senate, one of those spent running for Pres. Nothing he has done in the past comes even close to providing him with the skill set he needs to run this country. He had a tough time filling his cabinet (Richardson, Daschel, etc), he defered the budget to Pelosi, which resulted in a projected $1.9T deficit, his press sect Gibbs is arrogant and misleading. I don't agree with him on abortion, but I do agree with him on his views on gay marriage (do you?) and I don't think he will be the best CEO of GM. I know most Dems love him cuz he gives great speeches, but I can't even give him props on that because he USES A TELEPROMTER!! And I have just scratched the surface. Feel free to respond, but try to do so without using the word "Bush".

Posted by: mmourges | June 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

mmourges please go get a life. Your last posting was pure trip.
"Ok, I think Obama is very naive and arrogant on his views of the world. This is primarly the result of him never having held a job that require the management of money or the defense of anything."
Do you read what you are writing - Ronald Reagan was an actor!!!! and then you go on to say "he USES A TELEPROMTER!!" I am sorry but what world leader doesn't? Abe Lincoln read his speeches - are you going to hold that against him? Is this the best you've got.
And I do not think he had a hard time filling his cabinet, these things happen.
If Gibbs is arrogant what would you call Ari Fleischer? Also the white house budget office did write the budget. If you have proof otherwise please put it on here.
You are a pathetic piece of work!

Posted by: gandalong3 | June 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Great comments; allenofwoodhaven, Gallenod and gandalong3. I couldn't say it any better.

Posted by: sailorflat | June 6, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse