Agent Zero goes for 60

Wow, I'm sitting here inside an empty Staples Center and I can still feel energy surging throug the place. Made deadline but not sure how the heck I captured this one in print. If you don't know by now, Gilbert Arenas dropped a franchise-record 60 points in a 147-141 win over the Lakers that has to be one of the craziest sporting events I've covered during my career.

To summarize: Arenas passed MJ (51), Earl Monroe (56) and Phil Chenier (53) on the individual game scoring list, outdueled a ticked-off Kobe Bryant in the process and had the Staples Center crowd cheering for him when it was all over. The Wizards should have had this one wrapped up in the fourth quarter but the Lakers drained seven of their 19 threes in the period and erased a 17-point Wiz lead mainly because Bryant kept driving and passing out to wide open teammates after the Wizards collapsed on him.

Gilbert? He was just unstoppable. It was as though he had a jet-pack inserted into his back. He was moving that fast all night. I'm sure the Lakers will complain about his 27 free throw attempts but from where I sat (underneath the basket near the Lakers bench) the calls were legit. Gil was getting past his man - Kobe, Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmer, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, whatever, whoever, it didn't matte tonight.

Not that Kobe was feeling the effort: "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that. But him individually, it's funny, he doesn't really seem to have that much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots that he took tonight, you miss those, they're just terrible shots, awful shots. You make them and they're unbelievable shots."

We'll have to get into just how ironic that quote is at a later date. Kobe questioning another player's shot-selection and, conscience? Wow.

Gilbert on why the Lakers didn't double-team him: "It's hard to double. With Caron and Antawn shooting the lights out too, I got the freedom to go one on one all of the time."

I'll be back in tomorrow before I head to Denver. Right now, I need a brew. Peace.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 18, 2006; 1:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz and Heat update
Next: New night, different town, different story

Comments

The defining moment: Kobe drives for a layup and takes a slight bump from Jamison - no call. Afterwards, you could hear him turn to the ref and say, "same [bleep] Gilbert gets!" Classic.

Posted by: Ev | December 18, 2006 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Just when I thought Eddie was doing a decent job coaching 1st he takes Haywood out and plays small ball(I hate that)then he takes Caron out of the game late in the 4th quarter. What was that about? I am glad we got the win, this would have been a hard loss to swallow.

Posted by: Derrick | December 18, 2006 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Kobaby can't even get calls in his own house That will tell you how much the anti Jordan he is.

Gil getting luv from the Laker crowd must bust Kobaby's ego.

Note to Kobaby re: Talking about Gil's shot selection: he makes them dude unlike you.

Oh well Kobaby, behind DWade, Gil is the next darling in line.
Definitely not this dude:

Posted by: Victor | December 18, 2006 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Ivan - nice assessment on the evening. Have fun in Denver. Don't have too much fun on the slopes. E

Posted by: wizdotcom | December 18, 2006 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Kobe talking about shot selection and bad shots? Heck he should know because he authored the book.

Posted by: john | December 18, 2006 2:11 AM | Report abuse

I still don't know how Gil got off that late 3-pointer over Bryant when he ran out at him. Kobe looked like a seriously p'ed off dude by the end of the game. The rematch on 3 Feb at the Phonebooth should be a classic.

And 112 points of offense from the Trilateral Munition. [Golly.]

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2006 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Kobe didn't look too pleased after ex-teammate Caron went up for a dunk with one arm cocked behind his ear.

Posted by: DC | December 18, 2006 2:53 AM | Report abuse

Ivan - I stayed up late to get a chance to read your article on the game. The blog entries continue to add such great flavor to this team in addition to your articles.

I find it ironic (and great) now that Gil is just playing and is now getting the calls from refs he wanted!

Also, Kwame for Caron makes up for so many bad deals for this team. Thank you former Bullet Miiitch Kup . . . chak (Marv Brooks reference)!

Guess this means I'll make the Nugs/Wiz game tonight, since I live out here. If you see a Bullets jacket in the crowd . . . hopefully it's me watching the Wizards still running (will they have any legs left?).

Posted by: BulletsFan | December 18, 2006 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Derrick, you are so on the money! The game was tied in the fourth bc Jordan decided to take Brendan out. From there it was a freeway to layups. It was as if the Wiz thought if they gave the Lakers layups without fouling they would be fine! Brendan is actually playing the best he ever has right now. His rebounding has been almost great and he is a presence around the rim. If he keeps this level of play up, the Wiz will be a contender in the East. A real contender.

Last point, which I picked up on and nobody else seems to have noticed including the announcers on NBA Tv. Caron was pulled bc with the game winding down ( I think there was a minute or so left) Caron decided to take that wild drive down the middle of the lane with like 12/14 seconds left on the shot clock. I was pissed about it and I'm sure Jordan was too! Stupid play by Caron. Daniels plays game situations probably better than anyone on the team and he was inserted.

Arenas! Wow! Nothing more needs to be said.

Posted by: Rob P | December 18, 2006 3:32 AM | Report abuse

That hesitation move and open three on Kobe in the second overtime was probably the most incredible one-on-one move I've ever seen. How was he able to stop so quickly and still square up and drain the three against a defender as good as Kobe Bryant.

-bulletsforever.com

Posted by: Bullets Forever | December 18, 2006 3:33 AM | Report abuse

OMG Gilbert was phenomenal!!! My only regret is that I turned the game off and went to bed. Just as I was starting to respect Kobe and believe he had matured, he makes a not-so-gracious comment out of his immature mouth. Game recognizes game. That's why Kobe can call people out for being ball hogs and free throw kings. Who cares how Gilbert got his points? A 60 point game is not easy to have. In the end, Gilbert spanked Kobe like the baby he is. Kobe is embarrassed. He thinks people are afraid to contest him. He is getting older so he needs to get over himself. There are a lot of younger players who will not be afraid to show him up. I like Gilbert because he is gracious in winning and losing. He is not afraid to give other teams and players credit for their efforts. He is a true champion in my book. Well, so much for the respect for Kobe. He hates that he got pimped by Gilbert. Enjoy the accolades, Gilbert. You deserve it.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2006 4:00 AM | Report abuse

tonight was phenomenal. The Laker fans spurred their team's comeback in the 4th - but it was great watching Gilbert shut them up. props to the scattered Wiz fans in the crowd. it was a great night to be a Wiz fan.

Posted by: Bullets Fan in L.A. | December 18, 2006 4:44 AM | Report abuse

Caron needs to go head with the Karl Malone poses.

This is why Antawn should not be traded.

Will this point splurge catapult GA into the All-Star starting line up?

Posted by: emmpee | December 18, 2006 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Holy Cow Ivan Carter that was incredible. That game had me pacing the floor where I was and had me screaming at the TV and wanting to throw things during the 4th quarter. And to think I was starting to get mad at Gilbert (french pronunciation) for lack of defense. All is forgiven Agent Zero! Isn't it always sweeter to stick it to the Lakers, particularly in the City of Angels.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 18, 2006 6:53 AM | Report abuse

What a game! Kobe needs to just shut it up on Gils game. As a previous poster said, "Game recognizes game" They got beat fair and square. Missed calls on both sides of the ball by the refs so he should quit it, be gracious and give Gil the respect he deserves. Go Gil! Go Wizards! What a great win! In the past, they would have given up in OT, hung their heads but this time they didn't and prevailed in the end. Yea, the Wiz are beginning to click on all cylinders. Haywood was a beast out there and I love the way he is now playing. So, Kobe, we will see you next game in our house. Should be a great one!

Posted by: GIL ZERO FANATIC | December 18, 2006 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Kobe better stop running his mouth the Hibachi heats up a little more at the phone booth!!!

I think Kobe is hating the fact that the younger guys are taking over the league.

Posted by: the butler did it | December 18, 2006 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Kobe is such an idiot. If he had any brains he would know that Gil grew up idolizing him and by talking smack, that is only going to make Gil work harder to kick his tail when he comes to DC. Kobe should have studied his Gilbertology before he started running his mouth. The Hibachi is going to be on fire!!!

Posted by: Thanks Kobe | December 18, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's Kobe's quote from the end of the game:

"You tip your hat and say, 'See you next time,' " Bryant said. "First of all, he shot 27 free throws. We as a team shot 30. Think about that.

"But him individually, it's funny. He doesn't seem to have much of a conscience. I really don't think he does. Some of the shots he took tonight, you miss those, and they're just terrible shots. Awful. You make them and they're unbelievable shots. I don't get a chance to play him much, so I haven't gotten used to that mentality of just chucking it up there. He made some big ones, but I'll be ready next time."

All I can say about this is that these are comments from an immature jerk. Ivan was right at even though the Lakers are complaining about the uneven free throw stats, all the calls seemed legit. BTW, I don't see Kobe complaining about the two non-calls when he had his hand "IN" DeShawn's face?

The game ended around 12:30am, I couldn't sleep for another hour because of the adrenaline rush. I just hope they run the Nuggets out of the building early so I can get some sleep tonight. Go Wiz!

Posted by: CJ Baltimore | December 18, 2006 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Who cares how many times you go to the line, you still gotta make them, right? Coming from someone who once scored 81 in 3 quarters, Kobe was being a very sore loser. How do you have a conscience and score 81 in 3 quarters? Every one of those 60 points Arenas scored the Wizards needed (badly). And if you are the franchise player and you've got the hibachi grilling, why stop shooting? Great wizards win. And now on to a depleted Denver team (if only David Stern will act quick).

Posted by: Bart | December 18, 2006 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Watched the whole game and you could definitely tell Kobe was getting more and more agitated as the night went on and he realized that maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't steal the spotlight that night. Seriously, someone call the whambulance for this guy, what a joke.

Anyway congrats to Gil and congrats to the whole team for going over .500!

Posted by: DK | December 18, 2006 8:51 AM | Report abuse

And to those complaining about Haywood, didn't he have like 5 fouls (and ended up fouling out in OT)? I think Eddie took him out 'cos of the fouls (remember he's the only legit center without Etan).

Posted by: Bart | December 18, 2006 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Eddie switched because of LA's lineup - they went small for 3's (I think they brought in Radmonavich) and Eddie adjusted. The only problem was Kobe kept taking it to the rack - I'm sure that was part of Phil's plan.

Posted by: the butler did it | December 18, 2006 8:59 AM | Report abuse

One really big play that might be overlooked happened with less than 2 left in overtime and the Wizards up by 3. Kobe was driving, pretty much open, and Booth was smart enough to foul him BEFORE the shot. That prevented a basket, and the Lakers missed after taking the ball out of bounds. The Wizards scored on the next possession, pushing the lead to 5.
When the Wizards were up by 17, I felt kind of sick to my stomach -- I just felt that the Lakers were coming back. To give it up, but then pull it together in OT to win shows a lot of guts.

Posted by: Henry | December 18, 2006 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Great win for the Wiz. They pulled it out despite Brian Cook cashing in all his karma for his one shining moment. Playing "small ball" defintely allowed the Lakers to start a lay-up drill which eventually led to the blown lead. Jamison just isn't big enough to man the paint by himself. Maybe Songaila can help if/when he returns?

As for Kobe, was he sucking on a pacifier when he made his post-game comments? Maybe someone should ask him how to say "bitter" in italian? The guy is an arrogant jerk and I'm glad Gilbert torched him off his high horse for one night at least.

p.s. Why do I love the NBA? For every eye-rolling, forehead smacking, waste-of-good-time-and-money game like the Nuggets/Knicks contest on Sat., there is an amazing display of athleticism, skill, and entertainment like this Wiz/Lakers game. People who only watch highlights of the brawls and think the league is "filled with thugs" should take the time and watch a game like last night's.

Posted by: JVN | December 18, 2006 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I just CAN'T get over Kobe's reaction. He's acting like he doesn't even know Gil or his game. His remark - "I dont think he really has a conscience" We all know Gil doesn't have one and sometimes he will take bad shots or rushed shots but what shooter doesn't. Gil took him to school and picked him up....... that's why he playing this I dont know this kid , where did he come from line from last year. If this is the case that's more of a knock on him, maybe he shoulda done his homework.

Posted by: the butler did it | December 18, 2006 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I used to be a big bullets fan when chris webber, chaney, howard, strickland, were here and doing there thing. But once, the team was chopped up, it wasn't the same anymore and I stopped watching. 3 Years ago, I decided to watch one game, and saw a guy named Gilbert Arenas just blaze people at the age of 22. Since then, I haven't missed a game (maybe 1). Last nights performance goes to prove how he has carried the franchise. Hell, he is the franchise. Nothing to take away from Jamison and Caron, they are another reason why we are doing well . In any case, as a player kobe should just recognize that he should have been prepared knowing that the hibachi burns all season long (in other words, he's consistent), unlike himself who throws up 80 points and then throws a dud in games after that. However, there wil be a rematch and it will be historic. Oh by the way. I say we win the next 10 atleast.

Posted by: WIZARENAS | December 18, 2006 9:43 AM | Report abuse

how can the lakers complain about free throws? you're not going to get a fouled called on a wide open three, which is all they were doing. the wizards were driving all day long and the lakers were fouling to stop the clock at the end, so of course the free throws are going to be one sided. that's just a poor excuse by sore losers.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2006 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Had to post about Kobe too. I started laughing out loud when I read his quote. It was like listening to a kid after his team loses a bball game and is saying "those guys weren't that good." Well...they just beat you, so...

Please. Gil is a superstar. He led the league in playoff scoring last year if I recall correctly. Kobe was just jealous that somebody dropped 60 on him (including 16 ON KOBE in OT!) and he couldn't do it in return. Poor preparation by Kobe, and absolutely phenomenal execution by Gil.

Agent Zero dropped 60 and shot over 50%. "Horrible" shots or not, there's no way a mature professional makes a comment that Gil did anything other than play a historically outstanding game. I had very little respect for Kobe before that game, and even less after it.

And by the way: WAY TO GO GIL FOR PLAYING WITHOUT A CONSCIENCE! That's how we want him to play, because that's how he plays best! When he shrugs off evaluating the ref's calls, and thinking about pass before shoot, we win. This was demonstrated last night. Well done! Just wish I hadn't gone to sleep during the 3rd quarter (huge regret!)

Posted by: Nick | December 18, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

If I were Adidas, I'd put a chef's hat on Arenas and let him fire up some stir fry on a hibachi and show 4th quarter and OT highlights from this game. Dude was a beast even in the ugly new alternate uni's. Somebody get Kobe his 'paci'. The rematch in DC will be special. Keep guarding the paint Heywood.

Posted by: G$ | December 18, 2006 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Like Buckhantz put it..

From their young star, the assassin, the new Bond, 15 points for Agent Zero, Gilbert Arenas," Buckhantz said.

Posted by: the butler did it | December 18, 2006 10:31 AM | Report abuse

1 more thing on Kobaby: Those are low class comments trying to justify his night vs Gil.

To belittle some1 who just dropped 60 on you shows why if Kobaby hadn't help win the championship, Lakers fan woulda dump on him by now. He'll always be 50% luved in LA.

Sad.

Posted by: Victor | December 18, 2006 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

I hope they have legs tonight in Denver! Not to mention the Nuggets won't have Melo at the least (he gets an automatic game suspension for throwing that punch vs. the Knicks).

Posted by: iceberg | December 18, 2006 10:37 AM | Report abuse

And ML, good job on the series running about basketball development overseas. I haven't read it cover-to-cover yet, but what I saw of it was very interesting. Wonder if we will soon re-evaluate our approach to learning basketball as Americans -- or just go back to our roots.

Posted by: iceberg | December 18, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Just like everyone else I was PISSED when that game went into overtime. but apparently Gil was too. 16 points in OT! his postgame interview was great, he could barely stop smiling. i loved the bow at the end of the game also, which was directed at his 70 or so friends who were all kobe fans. this guy is an absolute treat to watch. its nice to finally have not just a star, but a legit superstar on our squad

Posted by: Ray C. | December 18, 2006 10:47 AM | Report abuse

There's been so many instances where I thought G-Wiz should have had 50..and now, 60? Nice. "G-Wiz" is a terrible joke - I just want us all to realize that the media could make the association between Gil and our horrendous mascot. Can you imagine if they started calling him that? Can we please go back to being the BULLETS? Joke's over...

Posted by: BigPERM | December 18, 2006 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Kobe never surprises me with his "hater" comments. Why can't he just give GA his credit? Everything he said about GA, like how he has no conscience, puts up shots from everywhere, etc., that's EXACTLY what Kobe does. Kobe made himself look even worse by not giving GA props. It's obvious that GA had a better game and had help from his teammates (Caron and Antawn). Kobe's just mad that his 45 points got overshadowed by GA's 60! Kobe said he hasn't played against GA much, as an excuse for not being ready... well do your homework next time, watch tapes of GA.... and need I mention that GA was Eatern Conf Player of the week last week. C'mon Kobe, you're pathetic!!!

Posted by: evann | December 18, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

What a great game! Love the way Haywood is playing, and the Arenas vs Kobe matchup is just classic. Too bad these guys don't play each other more often! I could watch Wizards vs Lakers every night and never get tired of it. Congratulations Wizards and nice win on the road! Hibachi!!

Posted by: Darnell | December 18, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1) It was a d*mn shame that game had to go into overtime. I get that the Lakers were unconscious from 3. What got them back into the game were the uncontested drives for layups and dunks. Kobe wonders why there was a FT disparity? it was because the Wiz played no D and the Lakers were fouling in attempt to stop. The Wiz were going to the hoop really hard (wondrous to see).

2) With his game tying 3 Pointer, please welcome Brian Cook into the Luscious Harris All-Stars. He made Buckhantz yell a new phrase: 'CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?!!?!?'

3) Jamison had a nice shooting night. The evidence that we cannot consistenly win with him at PF can be summed up when his breakaway LAYUP attempt was swatted away. NBA power forwards dunk the basketball there. They dunk it and maybe they get fouled. They dunk it and insult the defender. They dunk it hard because they are angry at the world.

4) The resilience we showed after they had all the momentum was really impressive. Hope we get Denver when they're down.

Posted by: Bernard King | December 18, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Some truth, but Kobe is a b!tch! Every shot kobe misses he is fouled. Gilbert takes some incredible shots, some of which are really bad. He even drives to the hole at the wrong time sometimes. But when you look up the guy is at 20 points, 6 or 7 assist.

Posted by: RobGreg | December 18, 2006 11:52 AM | Report abuse

And about Kobe's comments, he better stop eatin that Gerber's baby food! Gilbert could of easily put up 70... he usually hits those free throws, and he usually puts down alot those shots he was fouled on that didn't fall. He usually gets those to drop, and he would've had more And-1s which would of been more pts, and less free throw attempts.

Can't wait til they play again at Verizon!

Posted by: Darnell | December 18, 2006 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert got those foul calls because LA plays him that tough. In this way, they're kinda stupid: when Gilbert's in the right line, going fast enough, might as well get out of his way, rather than turning his two-point plays into three-point plays. I thought LA defended him with inept thuggishness and played right into this hands.

I love this game! I also love the Wizards because they are good guys -- without a suggestion of Kobe-like behavior. I remember not just that Gilbert brought stuff to the DC Armory for Hurricane Katrina victims, but I (working with the Red Cross) remember *what* he brought: stuff that showed he was connected to people and understood what their real and immediate needs would be.

That's when I became a BIG Gibert fan.

You can't fake heart. Don't be hatin,' Kobe.

Posted by: Nancy | December 18, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Gil shot 53% for the game. Kobe has shot 49% for the year and 45% for his career. There's a five letter word for Kobe that can't run in family newspapers.

Posted by: Tyrone Nesby | December 18, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert currently has the Adidas contract that Kobe used to have, and then he lights up Kobe for 60 in his own building. I can sorta see why Kobe might be bitter about that. Not that this excuses his poor sportsmanship. You know, most people don't like him because of this stuff, but I think it's more than that. I think he'd be an even better player if he weren't so angry.

Posted by: dtrey | December 18, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little bleary eyed today, but staying up for that game last night was well worth it. I'm amazed at what Gil did, and I'm even more amazed that he did it on one of the biggest stages in the NBA.

Posted by: The Prognosticator | December 18, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

this is what this team does: wins games it should lose and lose games it should win.

Posted by: poptart | December 18, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

That's the kind of positive attitude this team needs poptart...

Posted by: mriggs6980 | December 18, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Just in from that dope ESPN Marc Stein - Wiz hater: Melo gets 15 games.

Melo's got a nice game but why doesn't Gil get the pub he deserve instead of these thugs!

There's no place for crap like that in the game. It's not hockey & Marc Stein go on a diet fathead.

Posted by: Victor | December 18, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know poptart, the team's on a roll beating every1 & any1. can't say losing to Houston was a bad loss & beating a depleted Miami was a good win.

A win is a win buddy.

Posted by: Victor | December 18, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Haywood. The soft, immature fade-away jump shooter... turned into a dunking, shot blocking, lane controling beast. He's always had the physical tools; but he never had the attitude. Maybe someone should take his job away every year!

Posted by: mriggs6980 | December 18, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

mriggs6980: I luv America. Competition brings even socialist like Haywood out of their caves.

Posted by: Victor | December 18, 2006 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Kobe stop complaining about free throw attempts...yes the Wizards took 60 free throws and the Lakers took 30.....

but if you look closer 22 of Washington free throw attempts came when the Lakers were trading quick fouls for 3 point attempts in an effort to come back in the 4th and overtime...

take the extra 22 gift free throws and the discrepancy is only 30 to 38.... not at all unbalanced considering the Lakers took 44 3 pointers

Kobe shut up and give Agent Zero his due.

Posted by: guinness4health | December 18, 2006 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Ivan's largest blog by far!

"last night game meaningless if we can't take advantage of depleated nuggets team and get the win."

My feelings EXACTLY poptart! After the game that was the first thing that popped into my head. The Wiz can put a significant win streak together if they win tonight against Denver.

The thing is they are playing very good right now. Crazy to think they were stinking the joint up a few weeks ago.

"Booth was smart enough to foul him BEFORE the shot."

I was with you Henry, I was screaming "foul him!" on that play.

"The evidence that we cannot consistenly win with him at PF..."

Yeah that was disappointing BK, I was thinking the same thing on that one. He turns his body or dunks he gets the call.

"I also love the Wizards because they are good guys."

Me too Nancy. :)

Can't say much more then anyone else on here has already said but some obsevations:

1) Kobe was outclassed by the "Hibachi" last night and he didn't like that. Tough cookies, I'm tired of everyone kissing Kobe's butt. Ric Buchler of ESPN picked the Wiz to finish 9th in the East and the Lakers to finish 1st in the West. What a dope.

2) Injuries forced Jordan to play guys he doesn't like to play and the Wiz are playing better now as a result. I still don't think Jordan is the coach for the Wiz. Less then two minutes left he "micro-managed" and nearly blew it. Gilbert saved his butt....again.

3) Gilbert is FINALLY getting those calls he wasn't getting at the beginning of the year. If you win, that's what happens. It's always been that way in the NBA, refs are biased to the superstars. Sad but true fact.

Oh well, the Wiz should win tonight in Denver but that game a few years back against Toronto still lingers in my mind.

Congrats Gilbert!

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 18, 2006 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey and I want to say I agree with you BK and Ray on that play! I was yelling "Dunk the ball Jamison!" If he dunks it he gets the And-1!! That play was the defination of SOFT!

And Kobe, give me a break! I remember one play Gil got called for charging and it clearly was a foul on Kobe, no way he was set and you could see him moving to his left! Kobe just was straight up out played in his own house!

I hope after the bow, Gil gave his jersey to Jack.

Posted by: Darnell | December 18, 2006 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Next, Kobe's going to blast Mike Tyson for Tyson's rape. "I just can't believe Tyson would sexually assault a woman like that. What was he thinking? A famous athlete at the height of his game? What a stupid thing to do! He just destroyed his reputation, the moron!"

On to other matters: Anyone else notice something subtle with Eddie's rotations? The last two games, he's played Blatche in meaningful portions of the game, not just garbage time. Ivan, can you ask Eddie about this? I assume he's getting Andray ready to get more minutes, and more meaningful minutes.

Posted by: Keithinator | December 18, 2006 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Andray will be back to pulling splinters out of his butt as soon as we get healthy. Right now I'm down two bigs and I'm forced to give him a minute or two. Don't expect anything more, especially minutes.

Posted by: EJ's sub-conscious | December 18, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

EJ's subconscious: You may well be right. But I can't help thinking that Eddie might be trying to get him more used to game situations. We have to find out what the kid can do sometime...

Posted by: Keithinator | December 18, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

blatche made a very bad decision to skip college. who gave him that advice? he has alot to learn, and he is far from being ready for nba even now in his 2nd year. plus what kind of person avoids going to college? what a bad choice!

i hope they use him as example to why players should go to college. instead go straight to nba and get shot, then sit on bench and watch for 2 yrs of your life and never play. in college he would play and probably become a star.

he needs to learn how to play. he thinks he is a guard but he's not. the guy is clueless. what a waste!

Posted by: poptart | December 18, 2006 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Lakers international players are so accurate on the threes and is the reason for the comeback. Jordan needs to come up with something to defend 3 pointers. I can't believe the game went into overtime with as much as 17 pts. lead by the Wizards at some point. I think part of it is just poor coaching. Haywood was good on the rebounding and inside defense, but cmmon he needs better footwork on his post up moves and stop shooting those fade away shots. Etan is the same way as well. How can the big men excel from this Princeton offense when there's so much outside shooting and less giving the ball up when the guards penetrate?

Posted by: Jun | December 18, 2006 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Kobe should be the new pitchman for Massengill..forgive the pun, because Kobe is a real douche.

Far be it, anyone other than Kobe, has a good scoring night, or take over a game like Gill did last night. Now Kobe knows what it is like to get bent over and done hard.

I never cared whether Shaq or Kobe was at fault. Maybe Shaq was right, and Kobe was as much of a c sucker as he was made out to be. There is no repsect for Gill, Kobe does not view Gill in his class, but over the last three years, ponder this:

Kobe about 42% field goal pct.
Kobe about 34% 3 point pct.
Kobe gets to free throw line 8-10 per game.

Gilbert about 43% field goal pct.
Gilbert about 37% 3 point pct.
Gilber gets to free throw line about 7-9 per game.

Vote for Gilbert in the All Star Game, so we can watch Kobe kiss Gill's backside and act like the hypocritical a hole we know he is. We are lucky to have a talented, emerging, law abiding star. F Kobe.

Posted by: k Squared | December 18, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I was admittedly concerned to start but this road trip is shaping up nicely. 3-1 (and possibly 4-0) is very likely. I thought 2-2 might have been the best the Wiz could have hoped for but it looks like Christmas has come early. Arenas is hot (dude tried to close the gap between his home and road scoring avgs in one night) and a depleted Nuggets team and a struggling Kings squad are next on the menu. That Suns game is looking like a 300 pt affair.

Posted by: Learned Hand | December 18, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

As Jun wrote the Wiz's perimeter D is terrible. It's not entirely coaching(but yes I agree), but it has a lot to do with Jamison's D, which is atrocious. Jamison will get you 20/10 offensively and that's why he plays.

Keithinator it's injuries, "EJ's sub" is correct. The flipside of this is Haywood is seeing significant minutes and making the best of it. When Ruffin/Etan comes back you won't see Blatche at all.

I personally dread that because Haywood's minutes will go back down as well. :(

I wanted to also give Stevenson some props. He's playing really good ball right now, I hope he keeps it up. I know he got toasted by Kobe last night, but it's still Kobe even if I don't like him very much.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 18, 2006 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Kobe Bryant hasn't learned a thing, has he? What a worthless waste of talent that man is.

Posted by: Joe The Fan | December 18, 2006 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Ivan:
It's good to see your blog numbers putting Jason LaCanfora's to shame for at least a day. Well, maybe not to shame.

Posted by: Henry | December 18, 2006 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Staying up last night is going to cost me on my Statistics finals tommorow.

Since I can't understand this crap anyway, I think I may just Sharpie - SIXTY EIGHT & EIGHT - How about them statistics gump!

Posted by: Jumpy | December 18, 2006 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Poptart, he wanted to move his mom out of the ghetto.

Blatche will be fine.

Posted by: Jumpy | December 18, 2006 6:28 PM | Report abuse

WOW..what a game!!!

It took me forever to read all these posts. Great article.

Is Kobe the only child? If he had humility he would be adored...right now he is admired for his talent, but is detested for his arrogance. What will it take to humble this dude?

Posted by: Oz | December 18, 2006 6:48 PM | Report abuse

poptart: "blatche made a very bad decision to skip college"

I agree with you there poptart. Perhaps if the NBA had a "little league" rule. Something like, if you draft a player out of high school, he has to play 20-minutes a night, or you forfeit his rights.

I'd like to see the NBA GM that had the intestinal fortitude if THAT rule was in effect!

Posted by: Rook | December 18, 2006 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Not to totally change the subject, but in regards to Blatche, how do you know he made a bad decision? Sure he isn't playing, but he is surrounded by some of the hardest working nice-guys in the NBA, not to mention *the* guy who came into the NBA way early (named Gilbert Arenas) at 19 years old (same age as Dray) and has made his own way, into 60 points a night

Maybe Blatche would be better off playing 35 minutes a night at Syracuse right now, but how would you know? When he left for the draft after his junior year? Well that will be almost 2 years from now, so just because he doesn't have Vitale screaming about him, doesn't mean that after 3 years of B-ball he won't be ready for serious minutes a-la Morrison etc.

College kids get shot too. Blatche has Jamison and Gilbert and Caron to help him, not to mention Deshawn who is the icon of the low point of the NBA HS phenomenoms.

Posted by: Jumpy | December 18, 2006 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Oz, I believe Kobe is an only child...

To add my 2 cents worth....what a GAME! On the Road (far away from home) and playing a good team. Gil was amazing and the others were ballin' as well.

As for Kobe, I thought he had finally matured and was beginning to like him...but NO MORE! He is just jealous that Gil outperformed him and embarrassed him at home. When he shot 81 points last season I suppose all those shots were good and with a conscience. What a piece of work!

Posted by: Lisa | December 18, 2006 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Lisa- I 100% agree, I had just been telling my friend how impressed I was with Kobe during their last game (which was OT also) how he was talking to his teammates, keeping Kwame's confidence up instead of beating him about missed FTs, then he just was a whiney baby last night.

hahahhaa, it was funny.

Posted by: Jumpy | December 18, 2006 7:30 PM | Report abuse

""He is just jealous that Gil outperformed him and embarrassed him at home.""

Exactly Lisa. It's really unfortunate he acted that way and he's from Philly and they don't even like him. Remember how he gets "booed" all the time when they play the Sixers or in that All-Star game a few years back? Now you know why.

As far as Blatche, he's still a kid. It's kind of hard to develope when you not playing minutes and your coach is into the whole "smallball" thing.

Saying that I would be surprised if he were a Wizard next year. He'll probably get traded somewhere though, I wouldn't think they would just let him walk.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 18, 2006 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I am a little bit worried that the Wiz (Gil especially) will be spent tonight after the long game and exhilarating win last night. Since the Nuggets will be deplete, the Wiz gotta win this game.

Posted by: Lisa | December 18, 2006 8:19 PM | Report abuse

About Blatche,I saw him get in at about 2:35 minutes left in the third quarter and he never got a pass from anyone as far as I can remember. No one is even setting him up when he was in. How can some people judge him as not good for the nba at his age? Plus, how can someone showcase his skills if you are not really part of the game plan?

I saw some games the later part of last season when Blatche was in the game and I guess still getting stronger from his incident, he was making some long range shots and defending well. I even remembered him having a very nice follow slam dunk one time. Also he was always the highest scorer during the 06 summer league if yall were following the wizards during summer. He has potentials.

First time I saw Dwayne Wade in his first NBA pre-season game, I said to myself that this guy is going to be a big star right away. It's all about giving these young guys a chance. So put Blatche out there and give him more minutes. I'm kinda getting tired of seing small ball.

Posted by: Jun | December 18, 2006 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Horrors! The Wiz are looking TERRIBLE tonight...a depleted Nuggets team is running all over them. Will be surprised if the Wiz score 50 points at this rate.

Thank God for last night.....

Posted by: Lisa | December 18, 2006 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Stats or not, I find it highly ironic that a grown man making ridiculous money to put a ball through a hoop can whine like babies instead of admitting that his opponent was the better athlete. A true baller does not have to tear down another in order to validate himself or his prowess on the court. Period.

Posted by: Maria | December 18, 2006 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Jun...I agree with you. Blatche and Mason Jr get scrap minutes, hardly get any passess, and when they do, they probably feel like they gotta shine and sometimes force the shots. EJ seem to sub very randomly, the bench never knows who will play, when, and for how long.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2006 10:25 PM | Report abuse

gil kills kobe....
gil kills kobe....
gil kills kobe....

Posted by: petey | December 19, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

wizards need to trade for another two guard and big man maybe pau gasol he wants out of memphis give up a couple draft picks for the guy come on wiz get big.....

Posted by: petey | December 19, 2006 3:41 PM | Report abuse

kobe calling someone a hog? pot calling the pot black? kobe is the most overrated player in the league. you cannot be an all defensive player and get rung up for 45 and 60 in the same season and the season is only 1/4 done. kobe should never criticise anyone for how he plays team ball. that is why kobe lost in last year's payoffs. as soon as he is not allowed to gun as he pleases he refuses to do anything else. in last year's playoff series game 7 when he wasn't taking any more shots he also only got one rebound, zero assists, zero steals, zero blocks zero penetrations... he is all about himself and the spotlight. the reason he is pissed off is because gilbert outplayed him to the point where kobe's hype men in the media couldn't compensate for the massacre at the staples center. he is a spotlight strumpet. an overrated one at that.

Posted by: geecee | December 19, 2006 6:34 PM | Report abuse

To all you Kobe haters, Gilbert had a good night, showing out for family and friends. I have been to Wizard games where Gilbert could not buy a point. GA is not in the same class as KB. I know this from observing both players not just watching one game of the Lakers vs. Wizards. Kobe's mouth gets him in trouble and changes people's perception, but it does not change the fact that he is the greatest player in the NBA right now. All of you hating on him are no better than him hating on GA. I think GA is a good player, and I did not realize so many people thought he was great, where were you all when he needed votes last year just to make it to the ALL STAR game? Where were you all when he missed the foul shout against Cleveland ending their 05-06 season? Don't sleep, Butler and Jamison are the under rated talent on this squad. Good luck Gilbert and Kobe. May the best man win. I will wait for the post season to see who goes on summer vacation first, before I make premature and immature comments.

Posted by: RC | December 19, 2006 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Where were you RC when he hit the 40 footer to put the game into OT???

Posted by: GA for LIFE!! | December 21, 2006 5:43 PM | Report abuse

how come kobe is the best player in the league and is yet to win any ndividual award except slam dunk champion in one of the weakest years in the competition? he's overrated.

Posted by: geecee | December 21, 2006 8:27 PM | Report abuse

dont get it twisted kobes great but he got
burned know this he dropped 81 on the raptors they have had zero all defensive players in franchise history he dropped 62 in three qtrs vs dallas c mon dallas last i checked they were considered one of the worst defensive teams in the last 8 to 25 yrs oh by the way mj scored 63 in the playoffs against boston you may say boston but know this they beat magic and the lakers they were one of the greatest defensive teams in history face it gilberts efforts were praised because he did it against those lucky lakers you know that shot horry hit that comeback against portland that franchise that got iverson and the whos nots in the finals ...laker fan cry on shaqs back when he left the rings left with him but all in all i like kobes 3pt shot...

Posted by: petey | December 24, 2006 6:35 PM | Report abuse