Wiz win

That was a solid performance by the boys in blue tonight. The big three came to play, Brendan Haywood gave some solid minutes in the post and they came away from one of the toughest venues (trust me, Sacramento is one of the hardestt places to play in the league, they are crazy. You saw that tatooed white chick with the blond hair who was killin' the refs right? That's Sacto) and they got out with a much-needed win. Now, what happens tomorrow night in Phoenix.

Here's a prediction: Gilbert will come out gunnin' like Billy the Kid. He played at the U of Arizona and always gets a courtside seat for Lute Olson. Last year when we were out here, Gil dropped 41 and killed Steve Nash. When he hit a shot, he turned to the crowd and yelled: "Wildcats baby!" Nash has no chance of staying in front of me let alone Gil. The key is going to be Brendan and the bench. He has to play like he did tonight - he was better than an all star and Team USA Member Brad Miller tonight - and the boys on the bench have to bring energy.

By the way, the Suns are stuck in Denver just like me. They were supposed to play the Nuggets last night but the game was called and they can't fly out until noon on Friday at the earliest. I may not make it at all. It's killin' me but I'll soldier on here in D-town as long as I can. Holla.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 22, 2006; 12:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz rolling
Next: Escape from Denver...

Comments

Ugh, these late night games are killing me!

Needless to say what the effects the road trip is having on the Wiz. This is what makes all of those NBA "great" teams of the past so great. They can play these things and still win 60+ games. This is why the Denver loss was so huge, but if they win against the Suns then it will be chalked up to "one of those games."

Gotta win when you can.

""You saw that tatooed white chick with the blond hair who was killin' the refs right?""

Lol Ivan, I saw her and was laughing. :)

IFFFF the Wiz win against the Suns then the Denver loss doesn't look so bad so I hope they win. But again, they will be playing two games in less then 24 hours so I am hoping they reschedule it. :P

Seriously, that's the best thing that could ever happen to the Wiz. As Ivan said, the Suns game will be up the bench and I don't have much faith in it right now.

Doug Collins had a crazy, crazy, stat: the Wiz shoot less then 45% they have not won a game this year. Think about that stat a minute....all I can say is crazy.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 22, 2006 1:37 AM | Report abuse

IC,

Just so you know, we're still out here. I'm up late as usual, listening to the Pogues, and pondering the latest DC United news.

Good to see another road victory. I lived in Oakland for a year and I wouldnt want to play pick up soccer in Sacto, much less play a pro ball game there. Great to see Brendan get over 10 rebounds, and Antwawn was lighting it up. Worried that they didnt use the bench more, even with Etan out. 7 man rotation? On the road? Going into Phoenix tomorrow night? The wiz better hope the Suns dont get back to Phoenix til 7 pm.

Posted by: the cheat | December 22, 2006 1:37 AM | Report abuse

hopefully, we keep some of this energy for tomorrow against the suns, when we'll really need it.

anywho, good to see the big three shooting at a good percentage, and i think when twan hits his threes, we are usually in good shape.

i was watching this game sans volume at a watering hole, and saw some wiz dude shoot a nice turnaround. short hair, i thought gil? no, deshawn.

where went the dreads?

Posted by: tp | December 22, 2006 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Have the Bullets/Wiz ever had a worse shooter than Jarvis Hayes? He's not even streaky - you have to get hot to be streaky. I can't believe it's just the knee - he just cannot shoot with any consistancy.

The non-starters gave them 40 in Sacto - how many in Phoenix? One good thing - Phoenix flies home the day of the game.

Posted by: Shotgun | December 22, 2006 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...decent win. The layup drill by Sacto was getting me worried. The Wiz sure don't play any D. Why can't Arenas and others stay in front of somebody??? That's all I ask.

Yeah, I think the Jarvis Hayes experiment is just about over. I am tired of announcers saying how good of a shooter he is just bc his shot looks good. It doesn't go in! He shoots 30 something percent. I like the guy personally, but with all his assets he just does not produce. Signing him to any semi-big contract would be a huge mistake.

Posted by: Rob P | December 22, 2006 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Score prediction for tonight: 232-231 6OT, you pick the winner.

If Gil is blazin and Antawn and Caron jump in, we could have a seriously high scoring game...

Can't wait!

Posted by: Nick | December 22, 2006 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Wiz showed again last night that they are the "new Mavericks:" "Well, we can't or won't play any "D," so we'll just outscore everyone." That won't win in the playoffs, but it sure is entertaining to watch!

Posted by: Larry | December 22, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

So tired, so tired.... Time to make the donuts...

Posted by: Jumpy | December 22, 2006 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Holy moley.

What a 3rd quarter.

Looked like Gil gets up to play ex-wildcat Bibby as well. He made Bibby look slow.

The Zards are going to need another option at the 4/5 positions sometime in the near future or it going to catch up with them. Hopefully Etan is back soon. That was the good thing with Jeffries in a pinch he could slide down. Eddie needs to give Lang a bit more PT not Booth.

Posted by: dc | December 22, 2006 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I agree about Jarvis Hayes. He's only shooting 39 percent from the field this season. That's also his career average people. For his career. No more great shooter talk. Did anybody see that wide open 3-point shot the other night that caught nothing but wind?

As for the extra 4/5 don't forget that the Wiz have Songalia coming back in the next couple months. That should help. If the Wiz are still above .500 by that time then it will be like a late Christmas gift to add a little depth to the bench.

Posted by: KD | December 22, 2006 9:52 AM | Report abuse

uhhhh, can anybody name one thing that jarvis hayes does well?

Posted by: tmac | December 22, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Was that DeShawn or Larry on defense last night? Same haircut, defensive stance, leg wraps...sure looked like Larry to me.

Posted by: Ajay | December 22, 2006 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"Have the Bullets/Wiz ever had a worse shooter than Jarvis Hayes?"

He's not too good and he's taking up minutes. :(

Maybe they should trade him while he still has value.

I hardly recognized Stevenson without his floppy hair. The announcers called his name ansd I was like "That's not Stevenson" and saw the #2 on his back and I kinda scratched my head. :)

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 22, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Just finished catching up... nice posts, and thanks again for the blog IC, sorry I missed it last night! What a good game, it seemed Sac wanted to run with us, and that was a big mistake. Doug Collins' hair cracked me up! Give in to the grey Doug, please do us all a favor! Nice to hear our old coach give his analysis, and he definately talked about the Wizards alot more than the Kings and good for us on national TV. Cool he gave that shout out to Buck! And dude that crazy chick in the stands was off the hook! I was rollin'!

Jamison, I have to say, had a very good game. His shot was fallin, and I have noticed during this winning stretch he has been going in more and giving us more of an inside/outside game, which we need from him. His D has been "better", and just seems to be playing a bit tougher overall. That's what we need from him, and I think it's a big part of our recent success! And basically I think after he drops some of those flip shots inside, he is more confident when he's open for the 3. But did you all see when that guy grabbed Antawn by the jersey and threw him to the ground?! That could of blew up, but I actually got a sense the players had that NY/Den throwdown in the back of their minds. Then the next play I think, Brendan knocked him down and accidentally stepped on him!

Haywood is playing great. Totally outplayed Miller last night! Love it, and he's earned the starting job back in my book. I think we could use Etan's energy as a spark off the bench at this point. Hayes... I'm still cutting him some slack at this point because I am just glad to see this guy healthy and on the court. But, he has been disapointing. His PT has been sort of erratic, and it seems it takes him a while to really get into the game and get into a flow. He doesn't seem to be the type that can just come in cold and start hittin, so not sure how suited he is to the off the bench role. Hopefully he can adjust to it. I'd actually like to see him attack more and be more aggressive offensively when he comes in, like Dixon used to do. Jarvis takes too many quick turnaround fallaway jumpers when there's no reason to, like he's trying to warm himself up or pump himself up to get going. He's best when he's outside where he can square up, and use his threat to extend the D and open lanes for Gil and Antonio.

And am I the only one that likes DeShawn's new look?? I thought it was tight, looks military. And is it just me or did it make him look quicker? Without the hair bouncing around, I swear he looked smaller and quicker, and his handle and J looked smoother! Must be an optical illusion!

IC, love the "Wildcats, baby!" quote... hilarious!! It's gonna be a fun game tonight! I can't wait! A high scoring shootout in the desert! Matchup against Nash is just a classic. Gotta feeling Gil is gonna explode.

Safe travels to Phoenix IC.
Peace

Posted by: Darnell | December 22, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and missed you today in the Post Ivan! Melody Gutierrez filled in I see... she uses alot of stats, style kinda weak. None of that IC insight or subtle humor. You gotta be the best beat in the country bro! We're real lucky to have you for our Wizards!

And another thing about the bench... why isn't Mason playing more??

Posted by: Darnell | December 22, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Jamison was hot, so we end up winning the game. We'll live and die by it all year. You know Caron is going to get his.

As to Jarvis Hayes, I will never forgive him for lying to me. He made me look like an idiot in front of my friends when I predicted great things from him. I am no longer trusted to make talent evaluations.

His shot selection is ATROCIOUS.net. Its like people are not allowed to coach him. 6'7" athletic dudes should at least periodically get to the rim. Anyone? Bueller? On second thought, jumpers with a foot on the 3 point line are better for us...(currently gritting teeth and eating poison)

Posted by: Bernard King | December 22, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Ok, last time... but wasn't the expression on Musselman's face last night a riot!? I mean just absolutely priceless!! All game he just had this motionless scowl! I was dyin everytime they showed him!! And that time he started yelling at the ref he was so pissed and trying to call a TO!! Man players gotta hate to be in that atmosphere on the sidelines. Does not look fun.

Posted by: Darnell | December 22, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

IC,
Fan of your work, but lately you're in need of spell checker. That or you need to lay off the brew when you're blogging for work. Great content but embarassing quality for the WP.

Posted by: Welches | December 22, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I think Jarvis's shooting percentage will improve and that he'll be a difference-maker in quite a few games this season.

Posted by: 7snider7 | December 22, 2006 11:49 AM | Report abuse

IC-

don't worry about your spelling... this is a blog. thanks for keeping this so updated.

Posted by: rain man | December 22, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"The 1st half D was astoundingly bad. I was jubilent to see Eddie Jordan adjust and remove the small lineup that gave up multiple layups."

I had to laugh at Collins calling it the Wiz's "fast line up." I was hoping he would call it "smallball" but that didn't happen. ;)

Doug Collins is "ok," but it's hard for me to take him seriosuly as an announcer since he was the Wiz's coach here for a couple years. Let's just say I wasn't impressed.

As BK pointed out Jordan promptly brought Haywood back in when they started giving up the layups. This is where the Wiz needs Etan back, Booth is way to slow to guard anyone. Jamison was actually playing the 5 spot in stretches last night. Gotta give Haywood some rest I guess.

I'm still not so sure about tonight against the Suns. If the Wiz's shots start falling short early they aren't going to win. They can't do what they did against the Nuggets and expect to come back in this one.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 22, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Good job Zards on pulling out the road win. They are now playing with house money at Phoenix.

Posted by: Zonker | December 22, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

That is how you win the first game of a back-to-back. As great as the Lakers win was, the way the Wizards won that game cost them the game against Denver the next night.
The great thing about the win last night (usual bad defense aside) is that they didn't have to empty the tank and they have a good shot at beating the Suns. A 3-1 Western road trip would be fantastic. Get out of Denver safely Mr. Carter.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 22, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, as BK and Ray pointed out, I was soooo happy Eddie changed up when that small ball lineup was giving away layups!! I was about to go CRAZY as Collins pointed out Jamison was actually playing the center, and the lack of anyone stopping the penetration down the lane. Was just flat out amazed Eddie realized what was happening and put Haywood back in! And Ray is right, I had to laugh at the "fast lineup" remark!!

Welches, cut the dude some slack! This is a BLOG! It's not an editorial for the Washington Post, it's a chat. It's supposed to be casual, not some formal school papaer. My man IC does a phenomenal job keeping us up to date, and we are lucky he reports for us so often. We're lucky he doesn't at all!! What are you an English teacher?? Why don't you go eat some carrots and read a book!

Posted by: Darnell | December 22, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

ivan what do you think about this??

troy murphy for etan and jarvis??

warriors are reportedly shopping murphy. etan and jarvis would match salary-wise. murphy can play pf or c. also murphy is one of arenas' very best friends, and he's former teammate of arenas and jamison.

haywood i think is good as our starting center. murphy is 6-11 and can also play center and back up haywood, as well as lang and booth. so we can part with etan who could be good center for golden state. etan would probably like the warriors because san fran has lots of poets.

also we lose hayes as backup sf. but murphy at pf would allow us to use jamison more at sf to make up for that. murphy is a good rebounder and shooter, and he'd make us more versatile. we would fit great in our system. plus hayes would be better if he can start somewhere, and he never will here behind caron.

i think this is a great trade! i would even throw in a future pick, or the rights to veremeenko or navarro. what do you think? murphy is playing 10 min a game and he's not happy. we could really use him!

Posted by: poptart | December 22, 2006 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Darnell, That's an interesting trade idea. I've always liked Murphy though not for the bread he's pulling down in Oaktown. They way overpaid him. He would be a good fit for Eddie's system but, and this is a huge factor, Ernie still sees Darius Songaila playing that role of the big man who can step out and stick an open jumper in the pick-and-roll game. And Welches, sorry from the sometimes sloppy posting. Unlike an article, I tend to get going fast when I'm blogging and some mistakes get through. I'll try to clean it up.

Posted by: Ivan | December 22, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Wiz coming off of a back-to-back against a well-rested Suns squad? Puhlease,

Suns scorch us 115-98

Posted by: Wiz_on_U | December 22, 2006 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hi Ivan,

Hope you have made it out of snowy Denver and into the warm sun in Phoenix.

I LOVED Stephenson's dreads....they were really sexy....can't imagine what possessed him to cut his hair....wonder if Gilbert (or another prankster) did it while DeShawn was sleeping...

Posted by: Lisa | December 22, 2006 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Murphy and Songalia - not sure who is a poor man of the other. Not a bad idea, tho frankly I think the warriors would jump at that trade. at this point, now that the team has gelled a bit, i don't know that we need help on the front line, assuming Songalia can get back sometime this season - any update on that Ivan? Jan/Feb still in the works? Frankly, what we need is another spark of the bench - like Ivan said last night, Eddie isn't playing anyone besides AD and Hayes - we will wear out with a seven (8 with Etan/Brendan) rotation. AD is doing his thing off the bench, but we need someone who can come off the bench and score in bunches - supposed to be Jarvis, but that isn't happening. We need someone with Jarvis' conscience (sic) off the bench, but who hits them regularly. It really is too bad we don't have Juan - put him in - if he is hot, let him roll; if he is not, take him out (cause he will keep shooting).

Wiz are 11 point dogs tonight. . .

Posted by: charles jones | December 22, 2006 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Why does Charles Barkley hate the Zards so much? Is it because his buddy MJ was showed the door when he was mismanaging the team?

Posted by: DC | December 22, 2006 5:48 PM | Report abuse

DC,

Why do you ask that about Barkley? Has he made negative remarks lately? I know last season he was not too high on them.

Posted by: Lisa | December 22, 2006 8:20 PM | Report abuse

thanks for doing these blogs Ivan, it really makes it alot easier for outta towners to keep up.

Wondering what you think david lee (knicks) trade value is right now? Dude is pounding the glass..think the bullets have anything to offer zeke?

Posted by: Mikey Fingers (San Diego) | December 22, 2006 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I was crying for a Jared Jeffries David Lee trade right after the playoffs last year.

He's been better than I thought even. JR Smith too (a Hayes JR Smith trade, or even PJ Ramos' non-guaranteed contract to the Bulls, which they wanted (the contract, not necessarily PJ))

Ernie G. got it going on though, I can hardly be upset with him, all things will fall into place. I wish Pesh was stateside though. Oh wells.

Posted by: jumpy | December 22, 2006 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Brendan is going off early. 10 and 8 already? Did somebody tell him Etan was almost ready to return?

Posted by: Learned Hand | December 22, 2006 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's how you can tell Gilbert has made it. When you've got the TNT guys drooling over you and talking about you constantly in lieu of actually calling the game, you're on that next level of stardom.

Gilbert is at that point in his game that I am seriously making room for him in my pantheon of personal Washington sports heroes.

Just wow. 17 in the first quarter. Got more smack to talk, Kobe?

Posted by: Gack | December 22, 2006 11:03 PM | Report abuse

great to see the wiz playing so well and on tv 2 nights in a row. i live out of the area and it was nice to see them play so well against sac, which is the nearest team to me.
i'm pretty skeptical of this team. if Haywood plays the way he did last night and in this game so far this team can do pretty well. I like etan but maybe his injury will help Haywood. he's got a few games to play without worrying about being replaced. he's made some nice moves in the post and played some decent defense. if one of our centers could pull down 10 and 10 every night we might have a team that can win a first round series....

Posted by: ledell eackles fanclub | December 22, 2006 11:18 PM | Report abuse

i just wish that gilbert could play the end of the half like it is the end of the half - working the clock, instead of two bad shots, completely ignoring impact of the fact that taking an 8 point lead into the half is huge against taking a 2 point lead. Worked out because the Suns missed, but . . .

Posted by: charles jones | December 22, 2006 11:37 PM | Report abuse

all this talk about deshawn stevenson's defense need to stop. i'm sure he's a good defensive player, but he does no more than larry hughes ever did (defensively). and we had the same problems on D (opponent scoring) that we have now.

which leads me to believe that it's all in the front court. our forwards/center need to play better D. it's evident as I'm watching in the 4th quarter now--whoops, overtime now--that the wiz have allowed way too many easy rebounds, and have allowed nash to run into the lane and dish off too easily.
let's get a defense-minded forward or center. THEN we can talk about limiting our opponents points. until then, let's be prepared for 120+ point totals for each team.

Posted by: k-man | December 23, 2006 12:57 AM | Report abuse

what a game tonight. it just went to ot on a reidiculous shot by gilbert.

am i the only one that sees amare stoudamire setting moving screens for nash all night?

Posted by: ledell eackles fanclub | December 23, 2006 12:58 AM | Report abuse

If I didn't want to wake up the whole apartment complex I would have been screaming after that 3 by Gilbert. Holy crap he is amazing!

Posted by: George Templeton | December 23, 2006 1:10 AM | Report abuse

And God bless Caron Butler too. Love to see him hit clutch FTs late in the game.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 23, 2006 1:13 AM | Report abuse

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know they can be maddening at times, but these Wizards sure know how to
take you for a hell of a ride!

Posted by: George Templeton | December 23, 2006 1:17 AM | Report abuse

biggest win of the year?

Posted by: ledell eackles fanclub | December 23, 2006 1:20 AM | Report abuse

wiz win!! wiz win!!

i like caron at the foul line at the end.

i think we would have won in regulation if we have E. Thomas back so Brendan wouldnt be fouling out.

Posted by: pete | December 23, 2006 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Sold. Done. Gilbert has to be in the DC Hall of Sports Titans after this road trip. Seriously, the clear-out sign and then (admittedly banking) the clutch triple in OT?

A *ton* of bad / no-calls in this one tonight, but what I really like is that even though Gil kept going to the rack and getting no calls whatsoever on the contact, PLUS a bunch of offensive fouls, he stayed in the game and made big plays.

Frankly, a couple of freak ball-bounces right to PHX players after we essentially had corralled rare misses, and we would have won this by a dozen.

Outstanding game by Caron, who (IMO) is having the most pivotal season of any Washington player in recent memory, and unbelievable numbers/play from Brenda tonight.

What a win. These guys now have won two really killer games this year against elite West teams that basically say, "we can beat anybody on any night". Now they just have to believe.

BTW, the best part of this win is that we know Nash is a classy competitor and isn't going to make some asinine comment about Gilbert shooting without conscience. Hell, he may even give Gil some props.

"One down, one to go"... I smell a new Wizznutz shirt....

Posted by: Gack | December 23, 2006 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Amen Pete. Brendan is playing well but we need him and Etan! Jamison at center. Yuck! I mean he tries but what the hell can you do.
They showed a stat on SportsCenter that the Wizards are just the 4th team in NBA history to snap 2 12+ winning streaks.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 23, 2006 1:31 AM | Report abuse

We need a "Revenge of Gilbert" t-shirt!

Posted by: George Templeton | December 23, 2006 1:32 AM | Report abuse

We beat the #1 team in the league in every single offensive category except assists. (And, I guess, bench scoring, though that stat is somewhat irrelevant when you have a trio like the Wiz do).

Crazy. We outscored these guys on the fast break, had 9 steals, committed fewer turnovers, outshot them at the stripe, at the arc, and in general, and even grabbed more boards.

All starters in double figures, three double-doubles....

Posted by: Gack | December 23, 2006 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Yeah, this Phoenix game was amazing. At the end of the fourth I really didn't think the Wizards were going to be able to even take it to overtime, let alone end up winning - it looked like the Suns had really gotten rolling and weren't going to be stopped on any possession.

Honestly, while it really is frustrating to see things like Jamison backing away from a guy dunking above him and getting called for a foul anyway, on the one hand, we're talking about the Phoenix Suns here and nobody in the league looks good trying to play defense against them, and on the other, Nash seemed to think the refs were totally biased against him (just like it seemed to me like they were totally biased against the Wizards). Does that mean the refs were actually neutral? I don't know, but I guess Phoenix fans must find it just as frustrating to see Gil go to the hoop and the line over and over again as we do to see Nash make all those ridiculous passes that give his teammates easy baskets. :-)

Posted by: Josh | December 23, 2006 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Gack - good points - "We outscored these guys on the fast break"

I thought the Wiz did at least a reasonably good job in preventing true fast breaks. Granted, they got broken down, but I thought at crucial times their switches looked sharp. Hey, the Suns are good . . . and Nash is great! Amazing passes while driving. I love watching him organize the chaos! Although last night, he had to run in the half court much more often.

Props to DeShawn - he came up big in the 4th. He hit some tough shots and worked it down in the paint. Brendan too, in the first half.

How 'bout the Wiz free throw shooting? How about Nash missing several (another key to win)?

I wonder if DeShawn cut his "do" since he kinda looked like Chris (the bad man) from The Wire (although that is a good image in the game).

Gil - money!

Ivan - were you unable to hitch a ride with the Suns?

Posted by: Shotgun | December 23, 2006 3:20 AM | Report abuse

First of all I just wanna say Bill Walton is the most HORRID announcer in sports. He over exaggerates everything! Sheesh!

The Wiz are not an "elite" team just yet and Jarvis Hayes is not a "great" player. Sounded to me like he was drinking too much spiked egg nog or something. ;)

"biggest win of the year?"

Absolutely LE, coming off a back to backer, and out west even, against a team everyone is picking to be the in the end. This is by far the best I've seen the Wiz play in three years. Crazy to think just a couple weeks ago they looked so disfunctional. Again, this injuries HELPED the Wiz because Jordan's rotations were abysmal at best.

Props to Haywood, like I was saying on here back in preseason he should have been starting since the beginning of the season. Etan should be coming off the bench the rest of the season with Haywood getting at least 30 minutes a game. You don't sit a seven footer who can run the floor.

Gilbert has showed up three super stars in the last few weeks: Nash, Kobe, and Anthony(in DC). He looks like an MVP candidate right now. I hope the ball change doesn't mess that up. :P

Jordan needs to keep Booth and Hayes on the bench. When plays are run to Hayes, he actually makes those. But when he brings the ball up and launches one, oh my goodness! Horrbile thing happen!

Booth is just too slow, the Suns kept going around him all night.

Jamison is really inconsistent and I think it's signs of his age. He can't run every night like he used too and I think this playing this past summer might not have been a good thing for the Wiz at the end of the season. He shows up in Sac and disappears against the Suns. His D is still atrocious, Amare went right around him at the end there ON THE BASE LINE. Grrr.

I didn't know Gilbert missed the birth of his kid to be at the summer try outs. Not making the team seems kinda lame after missing something like that. I think I was too hard on Gilbert for saying what he did when he didn't make the team.

Good win Wiz!

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | December 23, 2006 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What an amazing game and exciting win!! Doug Collisns (of all people) said the other night that if the Wiz beat the Suns they will be flying so high they will not need a plane home....and he was right....

Posted by: Lisa | December 23, 2006 9:46 AM | Report abuse

DAGGER!!!!

Posted by: hmmmmm | December 23, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Amare baseline dunk on Jamison? Come on - name a PF in the league that hasn't had **that** happen...

Yess!!!

BTW he said we were an elite Eastern Conference team, not NBA team. He specifically seperated the two.

Posted by: jumpy | December 23, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"BTW he said we were an elite Eastern Conference team, not NBA team."

Still jumpy, they are barely over 500. I don't think that's "elite" regardless of division.

The point with Jamison was more of a reference to the playoffs last year. I don't know why but he can't cut that baseline off to save his own life. He has terrible lateral movement. It's just really frustrating to watch.

He's also been really inconsistent on the offensive side. Earlier in the season it really depended on what game he had if the Wiz were going to win but now it seems like everyone's(at least the starters) playing really well and pitching in.

Stevenson especially.