The Inactive All-Stars

Injuries are part of the game. You can't avoid them - most of the time - and teams just have to suck it up and keep playing, regardless. That doesn't make it any easier to stomach, especially for the Milwaukee Bucks, who lost Michael Redd, their franchise player -- okay, I use that a bit loosely; I mean highest paid player -- for the next four-to-six weeks with a strained patella tendon, following a meaningless dunk in the Bucks' loss to Cleveland last Friday.

The Eastern Conference just got a bit worse. The Bucks will have a hard time holding onto the eighth spot in the East without Redd, since so much of their offense is centered on his skills - and since Charlie Villanueva is going to be out for another week with shoulder tendinitis. The Bucks' impending slide will open the door for the Miami to move into the position for the postseason, just in time for Shaquille O'Neal to return from his left knee surgery.

The only positive for the Redd injury, as it relates to the Washington Wizards, is that it may have opened the door for Caron Butler to earn his first all-star appearance. I made out a mental list of the virtual locks for the all-star game last week and discovered that, with Redd included, there was one spot up for grabs. Redd is possibly out of the equation now, which leaves two. The fans are set to send Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Vince Carter and Chris Bosh. The coaches will likely add Gilbert Arenas, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Richard Hamilton and somebody from the Bulls (one of the Bens - Wallace or Gordon - or Luol Deng). Butler needs to stake his claim right now. Eddy Curry, Emeka Okafor, Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups will also get some consideration for those wild card spots.

But after Redd went down, I took a scroll down the list of players currently out because of injuries or suspension and it's quite impressive - and depressing, depending on your vantage point. I decided that I could field an all-star caliber squad from the inactive list. Here's my list of inactive all-stars; some may return in time for actual All-Star Game in Las Vegas on Feb. 18.

Western Conference inactive all-stars
C Yao Ming, Houston (fractured bone under right knee)
F Carmelo Anthony, Denver (suspended for punching Mardy Collins)
F Lamar Odom, Los Angeles Lakers (sprained right MCL)
G Chris Paul, New Orleans (right ankle sprain)
G Peja Stojakovic, New Orleans (back surgery)

Reserves
G Jason Richardson, Golden State (broken bone in right hand)
F Kenyon Martin, Denver (right knee surgery)

Eastern Conference inactive all-stars
C Shaquille O'Neal, Miami (knee surgery)
C Nenad Krstic, New Jersey (torn left ACL)
F Paul Pierce, Boston (left foot stress fracture)
G Michael Redd, Milwaukee (see above)
G Chauncey Billups, Detroit (strained right calf)

Reserve
F Gerald Wallace, Charlotte (separated right shoulder)

Waddya think?

By Michael Lee |  January 9, 2007; 1:23 PM ET
Previous: DeChanges With DeShawn | Next: Gotta Love 'Sheed

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Lol, will there even be enough players for the All Star game? :)

I really think Caron makes it in and have all year. The coaches are paying attention.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 9, 2007 1:47 PM

You had me until you mentioned Kenyon Martin.
What about Paul Pierce? Is he seriously injured or just not playing that well this year? I haven't been paying attention to the Celtics.

Posted by: Sean | January 9, 2007 2:00 PM

Michael, good rundown. Sean covered my one question. K-mart hasn't been an All-Star for some time.

I vote for Caron everyday.

I also think Joe Johnson is an all-star.

Posted by: Bernard King | January 9, 2007 2:31 PM

Vince Carter as an All-Star is a joke!!! He has always been about all style and no substance and definitely not been All-Star caliber for years.

By the way, Melvin Ely wants out of Charlotte. Do/Should the Wiz make a move??? 9 points 6 rbds from a true power forward is not bad. Don't know how they make that work bc it's only for the rest of the year unless he is given a contract extension in which case I am probably against it.

Posted by: Rob P | January 9, 2007 3:29 PM

rob p, yes as i discussed on last blog. bobcats want a "shooter" and we've got one who is perfect salary match for a trade. both players have 1 year remaining on current contract also.

jarvis hayes for ely.

trade is a no brainer really for both teams. i bet we do it.

Posted by: poptart | January 9, 2007 3:46 PM

Dude, it's not fantasy league, do you think Ely can come in here and learn the offense that quickly in mid-season? Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato aren't running the franchise, Grunfeld would never consider that move.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 9, 2007 3:52 PM

If Charlotte needs a "shooter" how does a guy with a career .400 fg percentage qualify?

Posted by: LH | January 9, 2007 3:52 PM

Hayes for Ely. I'd take Ely and a complete lack of knowledge of the offense for Hayes and his complete knowledge of the offense.

Posted by: AV | January 9, 2007 3:55 PM

If the Wizards trade for Ely, that means that Ely will either sit on the bench or take Blatche's minutes at PF. And who will take Hayes's minutes? Presumably the only option is Mason, who hasn't even been able to crack the rotation and shoots a worse percentage (34%) than Hayes.
Good point made above about learning the offense.

Posted by: Joe | January 9, 2007 3:59 PM

we better do it before jarvis gets hurt again, and before the nets jump on it and get ely.

Posted by: poptart | January 9, 2007 4:10 PM

who would take hayes' minutes?

ely!

if you haven't noticed or been watching the games, hayes has been playing pf!

when we rest jamison put in ely.
when we rest caron we can put in ely and play jamison at sf where he belongs.

if we need a outside shooter to come in bring in mason.

Posted by: poptart | January 9, 2007 4:14 PM

I think poptart has a man crush on Melvin Ely.

Posted by: Geo | January 9, 2007 4:21 PM

I don't think Mason's percentage is quite accurate. He get's late minutes often when the team is down by a lot of points. I saw him play in practice this summer, and I think he can shoot the ball really well given the opportunity.

I don't know if we go for Ely, and I don't know if it really helps us down the stretch. I think we'd have to give up more than jarvis for him, because jarvis might not be that enticing. And he seems willing to play out the season down there, so they won't have a lot of pressure to make the move either.

Also, I would like to see how this team comes together if it gets healthier, blatche is green but i think this is an important year in his development. I'm a little nervous about bringing in another guy to take his minutes, and then getting another guy back healthy and not seeing blatche again until next season. But it might be best for the team.

Posted by: greg | January 9, 2007 4:23 PM

don't mean to be pushy and i will stop with this idea. but the point is with all the shooters/scorers we got in arenas, caron, and jamison we just don't need jarvis. he says so in the post artice when mentions the makeup of the team and how he can't get his rythm. he needs to go somewhere he can shoot and shoot and score and get pt and get a fat contract this summer.

we don't need him here, we got enough players who do what he does already. ely at least gives us a different type player with some different skills.

a low post player who can rebound, can score down low, can pass out of double teams and play the high post and can pick and roll. sorry to say this is not blatche. we don't have a guy like this, and it's something we need. lang might be this in a year or two, but ely can give it to us now.

Posted by: poptart | January 9, 2007 4:26 PM

Jarvis may have turned the corner slightly with his game against the Raptors. We're not so desperate that we need to trade for Ely especially with Etan and Ruffin coming back, we can afford to roll the dice with Jarvis a bit.

People were booing Steve Nash his first 5 years in the leauge, hard to believe, but I remember when Nash was shooting about 35% from the field, and Don Nelson was being lambasted for giving him a 6 year $30 million contract.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 9, 2007 4:45 PM

What are you referring to: one season? In his entire career, Steve Nash has shot less than 46% only twice and only once below 40% and that was his season with the Mavericks and he was injured.

Posted by: NY's aroma = Jarvis' game | January 9, 2007 5:09 PM

Strong inactive list, though Kenyon is done - wouldn't surprise me if he retired.

I think Caron is going to have a tough time getting in - we shall see. Not a matter of being undeserving, as he is one of the most solid players in the league top to the bottom - just too many other players out there, and these things tend to get spread out. If the Wiz can maintain their record, and be 6-8 games over .500 by the time the players are chosen by the coach, that will help. I'd also imagine that if Eddie gets to do the coaching (hey it could happen) Caron would get picked.

Posted by: charles jones | January 9, 2007 5:15 PM

Like the Inactive All-Star teams with 2 exceptions:

1. Kenyon Martin is a bum, as several people have mentioned. His future All-Star Game involvement will be limited to being part of an entourage that brawls at a nightclub after the game.

2. Gerald Wallace was great last year but has shown nothing this year. I'd give his spot to Quentin Richardson as far as inactive players go. And for a reserve guard, I'd add Brevin Knight.

Posted by: Joe The Fan | January 9, 2007 5:35 PM

I am on the fence on the Ely discussion. We do have too many Hayes type players for sure and not enough Ely type players. I believe Mason would do fine given the proper playing time. Playing dead cold every 2nd/3rd game is no measure of a player's ability to shoot. Hayes has gotten plenty of PT to miss most of his shots!!! As far as Blatche is concerned, he is more suited for the small forward spot than PF at this point in his career and he is not getting any playing time any damn way. EJ is essentially saying I'll wait til next year in his development to give him more PT. So, why not get decent PF minutes out of Ely. I admit, I have not seen much of this guy's game, but I guarantee he is a better bench option than Ruffin.

Posted by: Rob P | January 9, 2007 8:37 PM

My point is, don't give up on Jarvis. He's still finding his way on the court, look how long it took Nash.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 9, 2007 8:41 PM

"Jarvis may have turned the corner slightly with his game against the Raptors."

Not in one game, I don't think so.

And all these comparisons of Jarvis to Nash, Amare, and whomever just have to stop. He's not even close to being an All Star. Try Brent Price or something, at least that sounds better.

Jarvis has been hurt the last two seasons and he currently has tendinitis in his SAME knee. What do the Wiz need? Depth at PF/C.

I agree 100% with poptart on this. Ely provides some much needed depth, a MUCH bigger body then Blatche, and maybe someone who can throw some people around in the playoffs. Maybe even move Jamison to SF for a few minutes a game and Caron to SG. How would that look? Pretty nice. I think it's a good move.

Plus Jarvis is a restricted FA after this year. You know the Wiz aren't going to match any offers. Best move is to trade him why they can still get something for him. I honestly think he's playing more because they are showcasing him. Everyone is going to be like "Why didn't they trade him while they could still get something for him? The Wiz are stupid."

AD can move back into his 6th spot, and Mason and Taylor can play more minutes. Let's be real, it's not like Jarvis is going to put the Wiz over the top anyway. Not from the bench.

The Wiz's bench stinks, the starters score all the points on this team.

Also don't be surprised if Blatche gets traded because EG has been hyping him up the last few weeks. That rumor makes me think something is up.

Now trading Haywood for Mags would be a big mistake. I hope that doesn't happen.

"You had me until you mentioned Kenyon Martin."

Agreed. K-Mart has been hurt a couple seasons Mike, not just this one.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 9, 2007 9:48 PM

Don't trade Blanche. It will come back to haunt the Wizards-See Rip Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace...need I continue. All players who became all stars the Wizards gave up on too early. Heck, even Kwame is looking serviceable when healthy.

Posted by: PTP23 | January 9, 2007 11:27 PM

Hayes for Ely sounds good. It would give more minutes to Mason & Taylor. Give us size and versatility in the front court...etc

With regards to giving away players that become All-stars...players flourish in the proper environment. If a player does not get proper PT, he can't develop...or takes too long. Look at how many All-star type calibre players Raptors gave away over the years. Do they regret it? Some of it for sure, but many of those were justified. Although I would have kept McGrady over Carter...i digress. My point is, sure teams give up players that were not a match at the time...but you gotta ask, do they fit the team, will they fit the team, will their egos work well, and most importantly, how long will it take for them to be what we need them to be? If we are trying to be a contender this year, I think we would benefit from this trade.

Posted by: OZ | January 10, 2007 12:42 AM

In all this Hayes/Ely trade talk - I think it's a strong assumption that the Bobcats would be willing to give up Ely for the oft-injured Hayes straight up.

Posted by: Bullets Fan in L.A. | January 10, 2007 1:20 AM

If the Bobcats would do it, I think I would pull the trigger on the Ely/Hayes trade. As far as giving up on Hayes is concerned, the dude is never going to be a Nash type player. That's silly! He has no floor game to speak of and when his shot is slumping he's barely in the NBA. Even if he returns to "form", the highest accolade he may get in his career is a sixth man award. Blatche I would not trade and is not going to be traded.

Posted by: Rob P | January 10, 2007 3:09 AM

JH is not tradeable for anyone of real value right now. The only way for a shooter to get his shot back is to get real PT and keep taking shots. The real question with JH is whether he's damaged goods, and it's too soon to know. If he gets his shot back, he provides much-needed bench scoring, he's be valuable for the playoffs, and then he'll have value in a trade. If not, EJ/EG will know they have to cut their losses. Patience...

Posted by: reispace | January 10, 2007 9:09 AM

The real question we should be discussing is not whether the team should pursue trading for Melvin Ely, but whether it should pursue signing Chris Webber now that he's free. He showed in Sacramento that he excels in the Princeton offense.
Let the speculation commence....

Posted by: Henry | January 10, 2007 9:26 AM

"....but whether it should pursue signing Chris Webber now that he's free."

Henry, he's playing on one leg and just barely. He has nothing left to contribute to anyone.

"It will come back to haunt the Wizards-See Rip Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace...need I continue."

First, would you rather not have Caron? You keep Kwame, Caron is still in LA.

Ben Wallce was consistently hurt when he was here and the Wiz thought his career was in jeopardy when they traded him to Orlando. He had a bad foot or something if I remember correctly. Besides he was never going to start here. They get a mulligan on that one.

Rasheed Wallace is an idiot, Im glad he's not here or ever want him here. Talk about the king of knuckle-heads.

Giving up Rip makes me want to cry and I thought it was a huge mistake when MJ did it. If he stays healthy that last season he was here the Wiz would have made the playoffs. But MJ traded him for Stack(NC alum), who was traded for Jamison. Looking back, still a bad trade IMO.

The biggest blunder was trading Webber in his prime for Richmond. Wes REALLY blew it with that one.

It doesn't HAVE to be Ely, but the only way Hayes developes is if he starts and he's not doing that right now with Stevenson at the 2.

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 10, 2007 10:39 AM

Posted by: poptart | January 10, 2007 10:45 AM

juandixonformvp | January 9, 2007 08:41 PM
wrote: You answered your own question. Nash's first year in Dallas he shot 36% over 40 games, the fans were booing him, and after that thoroughly mediocre season Don Nelson gave him a 6 year contract.

I was pointing out how you tried to make a comparison using a statistical anamoly. Nash is a career 48% shooter. He had one bad year shooting while injured. Otherwise, he's been a reliable shooter. Jarvis has been a 40% shooter his whole career and has never be reliable. He's not going to get much better.

Posted by: LH | January 10, 2007 11:04 AM

as far as any hayes for ely deal, there is actually alot of flexibility as far as working out a deal that meets league salary guidelines. as far as salaries, the deal is acceptable straight up hayes for ely. it also would work with us including another player such as ruffin or booth. hayes and ruffin for ely works salary wise for example. we also could do hayes with a future 2nd round pick, or another option would be something like hayes and veremeenko for ely.

but i think it's a fair and good deal for both teams straight up. i really think hayes fits the type of player charlotte is looking for and they would make that deal. plus you know even though hayes has not had a good year, bickerstaff and bob johnson follow the wizards, and bickerstaff has even done the postgame show on comcast when hayes had a good game, and they know the guy has talent.

but ely is good... he has had some tough luck, with clippers behind brand, kaman, wilcox, etc. then in charlotte behind okafor, may, wallace, etc. he would be a nice backup to jamison at pf, and a good 3rd center.

Posted by: poptart | January 10, 2007 11:18 AM

Trading Hayes would leave the Wizards with one true SF (Butler). Jamison is a tweener and Blatche seems better suited for PF now.

Posted by: J-dub | January 10, 2007 11:23 AM

j-dub, i thought about that too. but caron rarely comes out, and when he does we can use jamison. butler/jamison is a nice 1-2 at sf, and jamison/ely is nice at the 4. i wouldn't mind at all though if they included either ruffin or booth in the deal and brought in mike hall. everyone seemed to like him, especially caron, and he kind of reminded me of a poor man's caron.

Posted by: poptart | January 10, 2007 11:53 AM

Posted by: poptart | January 10, 2007 12:00 PM

Jarvis has played in about 180 games, and has jacked up about 1600 shots since he's been in the NBA. At the point when Nash looked like a bust he had played in 180 games and jacked up 1100 shots, which is roughly similar because Nash is a point guard so shoots less.

I don't think Jarvis has played enough games to draw any firm conclusions. Also, you excuse Nash because he was injured but Jarvis has also been injured part of the past 3 seasons. Give him time.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 10, 2007 1:35 PM

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 10, 2007 1:36 PM

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 10, 2007 1:36 PM

"...would be a nice backup to jamison at pf, and a good 3rd center."

That's what I'm thinking, this team is small enough as it is.

- Ray