Butler Out at Least a Week

Wizards forward Caron Butler will be out through the upcoming five-game, seven-day road trip with a left knee contusion. An MRI was negative and there is no structural damage to the knee, which Butler originally hurt last Wednesday at Atlanta. Jarvis Hayes will start tomorrow night against the Hornets and Andray Blatche will be active after he was inactive at Indiana the other night.

Butler said he tried to tough it out at Indiana but it became obvious early in the game that stiffness in the knee joint would continue to hinder his movement and it was then that he knew he had to take a break. The loss of Butler will obviously hurt -- the team was 0-3 when he was out with back spasms a few weeks ago and lost five straight when he was out with a thumb injury late last season.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 16, 2007; 1:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MVP Is Nash's To Lose
Next: Gilbert, a Father

Comments

This is what is right for the Wizards. Now it's time to find a way to win without Butler. More Blatche less Hayes, that is the key.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 16, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Amen, George. Though EJ's previous rotation tightening that left Blatche as odd man out doesn't bode well for that. Let's hope that AJ & Gil's good form, along with the bench's recent solid play, helps the team stay on track til Caron is back.

Posted by: San Diego | March 16, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope EJ has a quick hook for Jarvis if he launches and misses as usual. If not Blatche, then maybe Mason, to take over there.

More proof a deeper bench is needed. Let's hope EJ's 12 man rotation used recently pays off now.

We were all calling for more minutes for the bench guys - now they have to show their skills.

Posted by: Shotgun | March 16, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Tommorow's game against New Orleans does not lend itself to Blatche's use. They have no player that he uniquely matches up against. So if Jarvis is "adequate" Andre will ride the pine.

GAR

Posted by: Bridgewater, VA | March 16, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Stands to reason with the heavy minutes Butler normally gets there will be some playing time for Blatch in games coming up.
This is the right time to shut Butler down and get him right. He hasn't looked the same since that Bulls/Bucks trip after the All Star break. I wonder if we'd have won either the Knick or Heat game is he'd have tried to go against the Pacers. It's a shame he couldn't have set that one out instead of trying to go. Could have got a week there and only missed two games.
Look for a heavier dose of Songalia, he really looked good the other night and seems be starting to get through the dead legs. Against some of the teams we'll be seeing I think Blatch will get his spots on this trip.

Posted by: GM | March 16, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken but I just read EJ is changing his rotation and is sitting Andrey Blatch. Check your paper or on-line. Jamison told him to stay focused and ready - he could never tell...

I could be wrong but check it out yourselves. No Blatch.

Posted by: Robin | March 16, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Its Ivan Carter's article: 3/16/07

Before the game, Coach Eddie Jordan indicated that he planned on trimming his playing rotation and he deactivated second-year forward Andray Blatche

Posted by: Robin | March 16, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Ivan says Blatche will be active Saturday (in this blog).

The active list can be changed on a game-by-game basis, up to an hour before game time (it's not like baseball's DL).

Posted by: burke | March 16, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a stupid female comment but since we never win when Caron does not play, why can't he just suit up and get on the court for few plays only?

Posted by: Lisa | March 16, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, what do you do when your knees get sore? Suck it up and do it anyway?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Someone please make me understand this organizations fascination with Arvis Hayes?

They are stone cold wrong on that guy, at least Jordan is.

I never said I was a coach but I can see if someone can't play. I think Im going to start calling him Mark Brunell. :P

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 16, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

DC Man, as a matter of fact I would. I trudge on no matter what. And I don't get paid millions of dollars.

The XRays were negative....I only meant suit up, step on the floor and then go to the bench. Call it a jinx fixation but when Caron does not play even a little we lose. We cannot afford to lose 5-6 more games - in fact, can't really lose 3-4 more.

Posted by: Lisa | March 16, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Lisa, my question was tongue in cheek in a sexual way. It was too easy, but I apologize.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

i gotta agree with GM. look out for songaila. he has been looking better and better.

Posted by: nick | March 16, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I think the Wiz are in much better position to win without Butler than they've been in the last two years. My big worry is that Gil gets back and is ready to play Sat. night.
We've got more options then we've had in the past when Butler was down. Last year when he was out, we were generally pretty banged up. We kind of limped into the playoffs, alot of guys were playing at less than 100 percent. This year Jamison and him were out at the same time. So, I think we'll break the curse.
You know, the winning without Butler one, I have no clue what to do about the foul mouthed one. By the way can you be foul mouthed on line? Or, do you have dirty little fingers that you can't stop from stroking the wrong keys?

Posted by: GM | March 16, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Lefty had the dirtiest fingers after his barn visit with the missus, in exchange for you watching his practice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

EJ needs to get antonio daniels more playing time. When he consistently receieves 20 to 25 minutes hell put up 9 to 12 points and 5 assits. he also gets to the line alot and doesnt turn the ball over. I have no idea why they havent been playing him that much this season.

Posted by: D | March 16, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Most of the people on this board have the right idea; what is Jordan's fascination/love affair with Hayes? He's been less than mediocre for the past two years, yet continues to get opportunity after opportunity. His best season was probably his rookie year. Besides, he probably won't be back next year. I'd much rather see Blatche get the minutes at the 4 spot with Jamison sliding over to the 3. It certainly would help out our rebounding.

Posted by: Raj | March 16, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

GM,

We are going to have to ignore him. He is probably only 19 and still living at home with his parents. Has nothing better to do than make cruel, insane sexual remarks.

Posted by: Lisa | March 16, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 is really Clewiston88 from the ESPN Wizards board. He is in love with Wade. He should be banned from all boards because he is a foul-mouthed, vulgar pervert.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, you can't keep your own promises, let alone follow your own suggestions, so why are you offering others advice?

I think your suggestions though, will fall on deaf ears with the geriatric one (aka GM). GM can't leave me alone. He can't resist trying to jab at me, but when I respond, he gets all worked up like most others here and cries like others that I'm attacking them. So silly....

For the anonymous one who keeps saying I'm Clewiston88, you're dead wrong. I only write on this blog. Don't have time for any other blogs. Even if I were that person, you will note that I hardly mention about Dwade on this blog, so if I was obsessed, it would be nonstop Dwade. I barely watch any Heat games so I don't care much, but I do know that he's better than Arenas, and better than Lebron and Carmelo since he has a ring.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

So using that logic, I should hold Darko in higher esteem than Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing?

Posted by: mikeinseoul | March 17, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorry mikeinseoul, your logic is flawed.

Dwade was a starter, and along with Shaq, were the two most important pieces in their championship. Darko never played or did anything significant, even though he has a ring. Sorry.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse