Butler staying in DC for now

Caron Butler did not fly out to San Francisco today as he'd hoped and will remain in Washington for now rehabbing that stiff left knee. Butler said yesterday that he was anxious to meet up with the team on a five-game road trip that continues Friday night at Golden State and possibly play before the trip ends Monday night at Utah. Butler has been working out twice and day and said he just needs to get clearance from team doctors before returning to action.

The Wiz won without Butler Wednesday night but it wasn't easy. Agent Zero saved the day with a coast-to-coast drive and layup for the game winning points one night after missing a potential game-tying shot at the buzzer in Portland. The Wiz again fooled around with an opponent that was without its best player and again got killed on the boards (55-35) but held on.

Observations:
-Andray Blatche played one of his better games I thought. He made 6 of 8 shots with 12 points, 7 rebounds and four assists and did a pretty good job on Rashard Lewis.

-With Jarvis Hayes out (right foot sprain) Eddie Jordan gave heavy minutes to Blatche, Darius Songaila (11 points and 4 rebounds in 30 minutes) and Roger Mason (1 of 6 from the field with three points in 14 minutes). Songaila played pretty well but he still gets beaten for rebounds at times because he struggles to get off the ground. As his legs come back, he'll get a little more lift. Also contributing the rebounding problem was the zone defense the WIz employed late. Guys were missing box outs and not getting to long rebounds. That almost killed the Wiz for the second straight night.

-Huge substitution by Eddie with 22.2 seconds left and his team up one. Eddied pulled Antawn Jamison for Michael Ruffin and Ruffin came up with a big play, blocking a shot by Rashard Lewis near the rim. No knock on 'Twan but I don't think he makes that play. I know some of you hate seeing Ruff on the floor but that's what he brings. Wonder what would have happened if Eddie had replaced 'Twan with Ruff for that last play at Miami? Does Udonis Haslem get such a clean shot?

By Ivan Carter  |  March 22, 2007; 3:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hayes out, Butler may make the trip
Next: Kobe Was Meant To Score

Comments

As evidenced by yet another career night by a PF against the Wizards (Wilcox 27 and 22), I could not applaud the move to sit Jamison out on defensive possesions anymore. I was thrilled with that. Whoever Jamison had, scored at will and killed us on the glass. He needs to be taken out in all defensive situations whenever possible.

Cannot believe that horrendous team was even in the game against us.

Posted by: Bernard King | March 22, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Yes it was a timely substitution. But I fear that it will only encourage EJ to play Ruffin more which is not a positive development. He should be used exactly the way he was last night -- situationally. Further, the amount of love you give him in your column seems disproportionate to the coverage you give other players who make similar contributions on a regular basis.

Posted by: Charlie | March 22, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz play to the level of their opponents, unfortunately. They will fight the better teams and lose to the lesser. Now what to do about that, if anything? I believe that is an internam team attitude that changes with maturity and, perhaps the wrong word, meaness. Someone has to play with idea that the other team is trying to steal something that belongs to them. Being fancy, pretty (Gil, you listening?) does not cut it there. Time to be Assassains for real. When that happens, this tema will explode.

Posted by: Bridgewater, VA | March 22, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is going to be standard operating procedure from Eddie in end-of-game situations. A lof of other NBA coaches play offense-defense why can't the Wizards. And I don't think most of the posters would mind seeing Ruffin out there in that situation and playing 5-8 minutes a game instead of heavy minutes in the 4th quarter.

Gack had right when he posted this

But probably the best stats of the season are these:

Minutes Played:
C.Booth 7
E.Thomas 7
M.Ruffin 5
J.Hayes 0

Posted by: George Templeton | March 22, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, you've got it all wrong. We hate seeing Ruffin in the game for a legit big man for significant portions of the fourth quarter. Bringing him in as part of an offensive/defensive rotation w/ Jamison is exactly how he should be used late in games.

We still had Blatch and Songaila in there and getting AJ out on key defensive possessions is crucial. It's when he puts in Ruffin as our center with either Hayes or AJ as our PF that I (and I assume quite a few others) take exception to.

Posted by: JJ, Herndon, VA | March 22, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Agree completely with JJ. Very nice block by Ruffin, but a horrible blocking foul the next trip down. But he should be in there for offense/defense switches at the end.

Glad to hear Butler is staying in DC getting his rehab right. Makes you wonder, though, whether the news yesterday that he was flying to the West Coast was more about the Wizards dropping the Portland game than about Butler being ready to play. I thought that sort of shortsighted thinking was a thing of the past for this organization.

Posted by: Joe | March 22, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Glad Caron is staying on this coast for now. He really ought to stay and rejoin the team when they return from this trip.

Ruffin is one of those players who EJ should use in spot situations. He's like Clint Richardson, who wasn't the greatest guard in the world. But in the 80s, he had value to the Sixers because he could contain Larry Bird.

He's better on D than on offense, and isn't afraid to scrap for the ball. If he'd been in against Haslem in MIA, he would have made Udonis earn it at the foul line at the least.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it but this team is just better off w/o Jarvis. EJ, EG please take note. As far as defense, well, um let me think a minute? THERE IS NONE! This is one of the single worse defending teams in the league. It is the single reason they can't beat Miami. Couple that with EJ's odd combinations and it is why they play to the level of their opponents. The numbers don't lie!

Posted by: DMAN | March 22, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry folks. That was my anonymous comment.

Posted by: iceberg | March 22, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Concur that last night was the CORRECT use of Ruffin. For individual possessions as a defensive replacement for AJ.

Blatche was huge last night. Beyond the boxscore he played GREAT defense on Lewis at times and he's by far our best defensive big against the pick-n-roll, which teams love to use against Gil.

Blatche should be a huge contributor in the playoffs guarding either Bosh or Deng.

Posted by: JJ (the real one) | March 22, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Also, any idea where/what the guys are doing in SF? I live downtown SF and would love to give a shoutout to my boy Blatche!

Posted by: JJ (the real one) | March 22, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

AB is getting better by the minute. I was the troll that was foolish enough to compare him at this stage of his career to KG.
Boy did I blow that one!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 22, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ivan, for another good anlysis.
Just wondering..

Its amazing we all discuss the previous plays, games, etc. We try to figure out who should be put, or what to correct,etc but listening to Arenas last night, with Chenier and Buchantz - he said he never thinks about a previous games. Never. I don't understand.

Where does all this stuff he puts out to the press about getting even with teams that over looked him, didn't choose him or the zero to hero story?

Is that stuff players say to press to make them look less like lame or something?

cuz I remember Butler's statement on his draft day..when he dropped to #10 or something saying: "I'm gonna make those teams that passed on me pay!"
but lookin at him at all star..he's looks just happy to be in.

What am I missing? or am I?

Posted by: Robin | March 22, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, I've asked before, and I'll ask again: please, PLEASE ask Eddie why he doesn't play Haywood more minutes. I realize he's a limited center, but he's so much more effective than anyone else we have there. Here's what John Hollinger at ESPN says: "In the big picture, Haywood is one of the game's most underrated defensive players. The Wizards were 4.1 points better per 100 possessions with him on the court, and this difference has held up for a few seasons now."

Anyone who watches the Wiz regularly knows this. Why doesn't Eddie? Ivan, will you point out this stat and ask him why he plays Brendan 20-25 min. per game?

Posted by: Keithinator | March 22, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Mike Hall? Will we ever see him in garbage time?

Posted by: Wizzy | March 22, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Got to have three inactive players. Maybe we see Hall in uniform with this injured reserve list:

Caron (knee)
Jarvis (sprained suck)
Donnell (congenital lack of jumper).

I'd love to see Hall get in, play well and steal all of Jarvis' minutes at SF. Hall can hit a three ball, defend a bit, rebound.

But the offense is notoriously tricksy. Takes a while to get a comfort zone. So we'll see on that one.

Posted by: doclinkin (realgm.com/boards) | March 22, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, Rather than follow up on Keithinator's request to ask EJ why Haywood doesn't get more minutes, I think you should spend that time trying to explain how the statistic that's being attributed to John Hollinger could possibly be true (assuming that it is true). Like most of the other posters, I've seen Haywood in many, many games, and I'd have to say he's one of the weakest defensive centers I've ever seen. He doesn't hold his ground, he gets poor rebounding position, he isn't aggressive, his timing is poor, and he doesn't help out when his teammates are beaten off the dribble or screened out of a play. And, of course, when he does get a rebound, his tendency to bring the ball down makes him easy prey for quick-handed opposition players of any size. On the other hand, his offensive game has improved somewhat this year, probably due in large part to the added emotion he's showing on that end of the floor.

Posted by: dzl | March 22, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiz Fan | March 22, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to mention that Gilbert's blog today is great:

Posted by: aspats | March 22, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

dzl, the numbers speak for themselves. Hollinger is, statistically, as good as it gets. Brendan ain't no David Robinson when it comes to defense, but compared to the other Wiz' options, he's miles ahead. It's not even close. He alters and blocks lots of shots, and has the bulk to hold his ground. Of course, we'd all like to have Shaq in the middle, but we've gotta play with who we have. And, according to not only Hollinger's stats, but the states on 82games.com, Haywood is much more effective than any other center on the roster.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 22, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Why do we or anyone care about Gil's blog? It has nothing to do with this team putting up some wins instead of barely beating lottery bound teams! Somebody better shake Gil up and tell him to grow up.

Posted by: Miles | March 22, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Miles, aka DCMan88, Gil is the primary reason we have been to the post season the past few years so many of us enjoy his blog. You don't have to read it.

Posted by: Lisa | March 22, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"Wonder what would have happened if Eddie had replaced 'Twan with Ruff for that last play at Miami? Does Udonis Haslem get such a clean shot?"

Funny, before I read that I was just thinking the same thing. :)

But I also have to agree with Charlie about any "encouragement" and would hate to see him on the floor for any lengthy period of time. I like the guy but as a situational player ONLY. Otherwise he's a detriment.

I'll take this a step further....what if in the Miami game Jordan switches up his defense and put Booth, Blatche, or Haywood on D against Haslem? Miami wanted to go right at Jamison and that play was designed to do so. You make a switch, you confuse Miami and that play *might* be different. How hard is that? It's not like Jordan couldn't have done the same thing there, it was after a time out after all.

My point is you've gotta wonder about Jordan sometimes and what he's thinking (or not thinking) late in close games. He's lost more games then won with some of his subs this year. It's not like he doesn't know his players limitations by now.

I think Songaila will get more minutes down the stretch, which I'm all for. I'm not one to wish injuries on anyone, but Jarvis being out is kind of a blessing to the Wiz. I thought back at the beginning of the season when Etan went down that putting Haywood in there as starter was also a blessing.

It's nice to see big bodies in there for a change instead of that *smallball* crap.

By the way for all you Haywood haters....Haywood is not the most gifted center but he has really long arms also and it DOES affect the other teams shots. My thing is give him a PF to play next to him and cover his backside and I think you'll really have something there defensively. Blatche provides this, something Jamison can't.

"Ivan, will you point out this stat and ask him why he plays Brendan 20-25 min. per game?"

He can say what he wants Keith, but I still think Jordan doesn't like him. And you're also talking about the same man that keeps sticking 'Arvis in there.

"He doesn't hold his ground, he gets poor rebounding position, he isn't aggressive, his timing is poor, and he doesn't help out when his teammates are beaten off the dribble or screened out of a play."

Again, Jamison is his PF so Haywood is asked to do A LOT. He can't guard two guys. The Wiz play man to man for the most part so all you have to do is pull him out and the lane is clear. A good example of this would be Wilcox, he tore the Wiz up didn't he?

Can't entirely blame Haywood on that and it's not like there's too many centers in the league torching the Wiz right now. More often then not it's a PF or Lucious Harris. ;)

He DOES need to be more agressive I think though.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 22, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

This lag between games is KILLIN' ME! Not because I'm desperate to watch the next game, BUT because of all these people on this blog coming up with STUPID make believe what if, what then, if he had, if they had, etcc...arrrghhhhhhh!!!!....situations that mean absolutely dddidddly squattt!!!!

Posted by: fogle | March 22, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Miles | You grow up faggle.

Gilbert is the reason we are in first place.
The reason we aren't playing Jeff Malone ball.
You can keep Kobe, cause Gilbert at least shares the ball on most nights.

Give it a break before I break you in half you moron. & for all you Haywood haterz, stats don't lie. The reason you don't want ot believe is that MATH > YOU.

I used by my maryland degree for that last equation by the way.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 1:04 AM | Report abuse

"Gilbert is the man. Just give him the DAMN ball and get the HECK out of his dang way. He works best alone. He's got the green light. JUST GET OUT OF HIS WAY AND HEAD FOR THE BOARD TO REBVOUND IF HE MISSES.

Posted by: fogle | March 22, 2007 11:16 PM "

Now you are getting it foggle! Glad you know, that without Gil, we'd be the 80's Bullets! You think this town is exciting enough for us to attract any free agents?

C-Web did drugs just so he could get bounce out of town!

I'm glad Gilbert chose us, he could have said no, then where would your empty life be? Would you pick on arvis, your starting small forward? Or watch Booth, your starting center, set picks for Juan Dixon.

It's a wonderful life without Gilbert huh?

AND quit using caps, amkes you look like you can't afford a working keyboard.

Posted by: Miles | March 23, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Wiz Fan wrote: "Hey Ivan, check out Gil's blog on NBA.com. I would love to hear your view on what he says. It is a great blog and I am so glad he wrote it. It is definitely a must read!"

Well, I don't know what Ivan thinks, but I took a look and my first reaction was: Didn't the people at Arizona teach him what a paragraph is? I mean let's face it, Marcel Proust or Thomas Mann this is not. (Maybe G. Arenas, "Remembrance of Bricks Past," or G. Arenas, "Death in Portland.")

Actually, I'm getting a bit concerned about Gil. He seems to be losing focus at times. Sometimes I'm afraid he's actually focusing on basketball and losing his laser-like concentration on self-promotion. Get it together dawg!

Posted by: Mitch | March 23, 2007 6:47 AM | Report abuse

As much as I hate to admit it, Kobe is the god of basketball right now, and he's much better than Gilbert. He scored another 60 last night, to make it 3 game a row with 50 points or more. Gilbert's got a long way to go if he wants to be as good as Kobe, and Kobe doesn't choke during crunch time.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

I think it's easy to say "what if EJ had put Ruffin in for the Heat game?" Really how often do the Heat go to Udonis Haslim for a last second shot? Probably as often as the Wizards look to Ruffin to make a field goal.

Posted by: Bart | March 23, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I think Gilbert's latest blog entry was one of the most honest things I've ever read. As a fan, my appreciation of Gilbert the player, and Gilbert the person has only increased. I am so glad he's on the Wizards. As Wizards fans, we are all extremely lucky to have Gilbert.

Posted by: Tuna | March 23, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Just to let everyone know... Chris Wilcox is good. That wasn't a fluke. Second... Am I the only one who feels Gil's buzzer beaters are a (slightly) tainted? If you look at all 3 situations the score was tied. But against Portland, he blew it. I know someone out there who loves stats can find out how many shots he made when his team is down, compared to when the game is tied. And on a sweet 16 note...Last night was the worst coaching i've seen in a long time. How does Tenn. blow a 20 pt lead and doesn't even get a final shot off (that ball was still in his hands long before Oden blocked it). And how the hell does Texas a&m not run a play for Acie Law at the end? Terrible coaching.

Posted by: C.Bell | March 23, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Gil's latest blog is one hell of a long-winded rant, but I agree with him on most counts. Seems to dispel the notion that he's somehow not taking the game seriously, has a bad relationship with his teammates, or isn't concentrating enough.

More importantly, it gives some context for why he does some of the things he does, that may seem strange to the rest of us. And I'll tell you this, I'd rather have a guy like Gil who's making crazy predictions (and a lot of the time, living up to them), coming up with catchphrases and nicknames, and doing practical jokes on teammates, than some guy who's wound up all tight and is all business all the time, and then ends up blowing off steam by crashing his car drunk, shooting off guns, getting busted for drugs, or involved in some sex/paternity scandal.

It's fine to complain about Gilbert if you want, but the grass ain't always greener, people. Frankly, I like our lawn just fine.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Sad to see Acie Law go out like that, especially after that outstanding A&M / UT game a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Haywood improves the Wizards defense because he eats space in with his height and long arms. Back when the Bullets/Wizards had Big Gheorghe they had a very pronounced defensive difference statisticly when he was in the game. A friend of mine thought it wasn't true, he declared that Big Gheorghe had to be the worst defensive centers he ever saw. But if you've ever been in the lane and one of those really tall guys that will keep his arms up steps accross on you, you pass out!
Guys like Mark Eaton played in this league for years without alot of talent except that they were tall and eat space in the lane. Brendan is actually more talented then that. His lack of aggressiveness, I think comes a little from the early habit of drawing alot of silly reach in fouls.
When you're that tall and have arms that long the hardest thing to learn is to keep your hands up to use your height and not draw reach in fouls. Brendan has greatly improved at that at both ends of the court, he doesn't bring the ball down on offense nearly as much as he used to.
Stick your hands straight up in the air and walk around for awhile or even sit at your computor screen with your hand straight up for say 10 minutes. It's not very easy, and you sure don't look very aggressive. But, it sure works in the lane if you're a seven footer!
I knew a guy growing up that was 6'10" by the 9th grade. He ended up getting recruited by DeMatha( they insist to this day the don't do that!). But anyway he really wasn't very good, but they had him walk around with a dumbbell in one hand stretched out over his head. And he was to keep switching hands. Seeing it, you knew why they call them dumbbells. But it worked, he became a good enough center to get College Scholarship. Like Roy Hibbert there was a time when he could barely walk and chew gum but with hard work he developed. Most guys that tall will never look good on the court. But most coaches find that they give them enough that the find ways to play to their strengths.
Big men take time to develop, because they are so tall people expect the to dominate right away. Oden has obvious talent, but my guess is that he won't mature into a good NBA center for 3 to 4 years. Seems like to me Haywood is just now reaching his potential and has worked very hard to get there.
Problem is Eddie Jordan still remembers the mistake prone weak post player that was here when he arrived two years ago. There is nothing harder to change than a first impression, Jordan is slowly beginning to trust Haywood more. But I do mean slowly!

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I say Gilbert's gonna rock TONIGHT! He's gonna have a blowout game against the Warriors because his idol Kobe got 60 last night and he's gonna show everyone that the last win wasn't a fluke!

LIKE KOBE, I WANNA BEEEEE LIKE KOBE! That should be Gilbert's next commercial with Gatorade.

It don't matter if you're tall or not. If you have shot blockin instincts, then you will block shots. Peter John Ramos is 7-3, and couldn't block traffic in downtown DC during rush hour. Alonzo is 6-8 on a good day, and is averaging almost 2.5 blocks/game and he's not even starting!

Posted by: fogle | March 23, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

And both Zo and Deke dominated right out of High School at GU when I was there! Deke though, was probably 35 years old at the time, but Zo was dominating the boards right out of High School. Zo was averaging 12 BLOCKS a game in high school, AND LED THE NATION IN BLOCKED SHOTS DURING HIS FRESHMAN YEAR!

Sorry big men take time to develop. Good big men like Zo, Shaq, and Ewing dominate RIGHT AWAY, nevermind all this fuss about dumbells and holding arms up and all that HULLABALLOO!!! IF YOU CAN PLAY, YOU CAN PLAY!!!

Posted by: fogle | March 23, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I didn't make a post earlier this morning declaring Kobe the God of Basketball. Seems like "the boys are back in town".
But anyone would be blind to not see that Kobe's on a pretty good run right now. As I said a couple of days ago he'll win the scoring title, it means more to him then anyone else. He's also about at his prime, Arenas is still only 25. Most players if they are fairly injury free peak in their early 30's, so Kobe as an individual player should be reaching the top of his game.
What remains to be seen is if Kobe is willing to make the sacrafices to get back into title contention. One thing alot of people forget about Jordan. For years he played with an undervalued contract that allowed Krause to make moves like bringing Cartwright on board. And to go after other free agentsto fill in the peices on those Championship Teams.
I've got to go now, I suppose my next post will be about anal sex, my mother, wife and the other mysteries of basketball.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, I messed up again. I just quickly checked and Kobe is only 28, not in his early 30's.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

faggle, you never went to GTown. You're too stupid. Quit dropping name baldy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to use my name to post at least learn to read. I said most players reach their peak by their early 30's so Kobe as an individual player should be "reaching" the top of his game.
I didn't say he was in his early 30's.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

GM, I'm not sure that Eddie is starting to trust Brendan. He still pulls him for long stretches to go with Etan, Ruff and Booth. I don't know why he hasn't figured it out. That's why I question his basketball IQ sometimes. He has these beliefs that Jarvis is a 20-30 min./night player, that Blatche should be on the inactive list unless Jarvis is hurt, and that Etan/Booth/Ruff give him what Brendan does. I'm mystified. Haywood should be getting 35 minutes per night, and the Wiz would be winning more. No doubt in my mind about that. Again, this isn't to say Haywood's an all-start; just that he's the best we've got at the 5.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 23, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Gilbert is going to be 26 next year, and he'll be reaching his peak soon too.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

You're right Keithinator, he did pull Brendan Todd at the towards the end of the game when he gave up that driving layup. Brendan is still working on getting his hands up though, so I gotta cut him some slack. Plus, how can EJ really start a guy who gets beat up in the locker room by the benchwarner Etan?

Haywoode was doing well when Larry was here, because Larry made sure the big men got their touches. Gilbert though, has got his touches and Brendan's too. So touchy touchy. Big men aren't happy unless they get the ball.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

(The last post attributed to me was not one of mine -- the masked spoofer strikes again)

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Gack - I just got a chance to read Gilbert's blog. I must admit, he made alot of great points. As much as I thought he was a little "different", there is a method to his maddness.

Yo Gil, if you are reading this; great blog. I can really see you do "care" for us, "the fans". Thats great to know because I have been supporting this team for over 25 years now since I was a little kid and I have seen nothing but the good (10%) and the ugly(90%).

The Fat Lady Singing, the Beef Brothers, Mugsy Boges and Manute Bol, John "Hotplate" Williams (the rise and fall), Wes Matthews (Mr. 4th Gear), the Fab "Two" (Juwan Howard and CWebb before the police traffic stop), Bob Ferry (Kenny Green) and Wes Unseld's miscues (Trading Big for Small, Young for Old - CWebb for Mitch Richmand) at trades and draft picks, John Nash's good trades (CWebb) and decent draft picks and along with him being fired for what reasons I can not remember) after he put a good team together and let me not forget the MJ Arrival.

Fast forward to today, I will take things the way they are now with the organization over what I have observed the past 25 years anyday. Go Wiz's!!!

Posted by: mikie | March 23, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't spell it Haywoode, and I don't use Touchy, Touchy. Motombo could have been about 25 or more at Georgetown. It's a Marvel that he's still playing in possibly in his upper 40's. Patrick was a great athelete for a seven footer. Very rare, but look at old G'town games and he changed and matured greatly as he got older.
Zo I'd say is alot closer to 6'9" than 7'0, completly different kind of player. That rare guy that can jump quicker at that size than smaller guys can jump. That can never be taught, guys like Zo, Bill Russell, Moses Malone before he got old, Walton before he got hurt, just have have that quick explosive jumping ability which truely seperates them from others.
But there have been alot of titles won with servicable bigs that have learned to play.
And by the way DCman88 since you were the one that mentioned in one of your posts about Brendan not getting Roy I'd assume you're the clever fella doing multible posts with my name this morning.
Now you can come on and be shocked and outraged!

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see in today's Post about the episode after the Sonics game where Gilbert laid down his jersey and said he dreamed of people rushing out and grabbing for his jersey? It was so FUNNY! Gotta love the guy...he's in his own world!

"You know, I always dreamed about someone leaving a jersey on the court and having everybody run out and trample each other to get it; so I was trying to see if that would happen," Arenas said. "But I was the only person standing out there, so I was kind of disappointed."

Posted by: jake | March 23, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan,

Did you go through with asking Coach why he gives Jarvis so many minutes in crunchtime (and so many minutes generally)? I think most Wizards fans really, really want an answer from EJ on that.

Posted by: Kam | March 23, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

That's what Ruffin should be used, in a situational substitution (i.e., a defense-offense swap with Jamison), but not in a regular rotation, taking heavy minutes.

BTW, I agree with many posts by GM.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 23, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

fogle=miles=dc man88=clewiston88

Posted by: We Are Pathetic | March 23, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

" I know some of you hate seeing Ruff on the floor but that's what he brings. Wonder what would have happened if Eddie had replaced 'Twan with Ruff for that last play at Miami? Does Udonis Haslem get such a clean shot?"

Does Haslem get that shot off with Haywood, Etan or Booth in his face either?? As JJ said earlier, using Ruff as a defensive replacement for Jamison at the 4 in spot situations is exactly what he should be used for, and only that. That is how he can actually be useful, because Jamison is a defensive liability.

Neither Jamison or Ruff should ever be center IMO. Ok ruff made a nice block... but so would any of our 3 actual centers. In fact put any of those guys at center in that situation and the opponent pulls up for a more difficult J rather than go in for the layup which we see time and time again, and have lost many past games to open layups.

I don't hate seeing Ruff on the floor. I hate seeing him OR jamison at center. In fact seeing him in at PF for Jamison is a welcome sight when we need D and some physical play inside which we don't get from 'Twan.

Posted by: Darnell | March 23, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Ivan!!! That is the sort of substitution pattern many in here who grill EJ regularly want to see. Ruffin used in situational defensive situations is a great idea particularly when it means pulling AJ. Arenas should also come out for AD or Mason every time. These subs make sense, but too often his substitutions make no sense or the next game he'll leave in AJ in the same situation??? Or things like leaving in Ruffin for major minutes with the team struggling to score, Jarvis Hayes getting all his burn, going small too often and for too long, strange match up choices like Songalia against Portland's athletic front line, never forcing your opponent to match up with you by, perhaps, going tall etc etc.

Ivan, please please please ask Gilbert if he liked shooting the synthetic ball better. When he was shooting that thing, I knew it was good. Since the ball change, he is very sporadic. I remember thinking at the time that the switch could not be a good thing for a player so hot. I believe he liked the grip of the synthetic ball better and it made his shot much more accurate. What say you Gilbert?

PS H'wood and Etan have reverted back to subpar performances. Somebody get these two in another fight please!

Posted by: Rob P | March 23, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I still think Booth is our best center. He's a savvy veteran and has got natural instincts to go for the block. EJ should definitley start Booth ahead of any of the centers we have.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

It is debateable but certainly a valid argument that Booth is our best DEFENSIVE center, but I think both BTH and The Poet are better scorers.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The depth chart at center should be Haywood, Etan, Booth... with Blatche then Songaila as smallball/offensive options. Ruffin should be the last option only in situations where those others are injured or fouled out. How many times do we have to see him take a charge, then miss his free throws in the 4th Q?

Posted by: Darnell | March 23, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

In the starting lineup, the other 4 guys are scorers though. Even though Booth is better defensively, do we need a real scoring threat at center? I think Booth may be scared to start, because then he'd get jumped by both Etan and Brendan in the locker room.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Booth our best center? Ummm...no way! Sure he has had some moments of good play(against the other team's second string usually), but he is also smaller than H'wood, just as slow footed or slower, and offers less offensively particularly around the rim. Trust me, if he played the minutes of a starter, his deficiencies would become evident pretty quickly. Besides, don't you think if that were true he would be starting for another team? If H'wood is better than half the centers in the league (let's say for arguments sake and it's probably true) and Booth is better than him then he would certainly be a starter somewhere.

Posted by: Rob P | March 23, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Agree with you, Darnell. Except I would put Ruffin at #5 instead of Songaila. I think Ruffin is a better shot blocker. Songaila at this stage (his own estimation: 75%), just does not jump well, nor move his feet quick enough defensively (he is OK on offense, since offensive player dictate the pace). I will have to wait and see on how he will perform at center when he is 100% before I make any judgment on that.

Anyway, I feel if EJ really wants to play small ball, he can put Blatche at 5. He is quick enough and tall enough that satisfy both demands.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 23, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Well two more brilliant posts( 2:27 and 2:49)I didn't make. Who ever is spending all this time making posts in other people's names really should enroll in clown school. Then you could make a living making people laugh instead of sitting around all day just thinking you're funny.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse