Heading west

The Wiz proved they could win without Caron Butler by crushing the Hornets Saturday night and the Heat finally proved it could lose by dropping one to Orlando Sunday night. All things considered, that was a great weekend for the Wiz and should give the fellas a boost going into the five-game trip that starts Tuesday night in Portland.

Saturday's win was impressive for several reasons but the most encouraging sign has to be Gilbert's renewed shooting touch. He's making his threes again after going through a brutal stretch and, as we all know, that is the key to his big scoring nights. You have to assume that Eddie would take Gilbert's final line (10-18 shooting, 4-8 on threes, 6-6 from the stripe, 11 dimes and only two turnovers) every game for the rest of the season. All 12 guys scored and Darius Songaila was again very impressive.

After the game I even told Songaila that I think he got off the ground at least two inches on that pretty reverse layup he made in the fourth. He laughed. "Really? That high? I didn't think I had that in me right now."

One of the cool things about Darius coming around is that we're all starting to get a feel for his personality. He's a funny cat and it's obvious that he's starting to blend in with the fellas a little bit. It's been well documented just how goofy that lockeroom can be and I wondered how a guy like Darius would fit. But Antawn Jamison said he's doing just fine.

"He's even starting to talk a little trash here and there," Jamison said. "Every now and then he'll sneak one in on you and you'll be like 'oh, it's like that?'"

Interested to see what you blog readers predict for this trip. I think anything worse than 3-2 would be a failure because Miami has a soft schedule coming up with games against Atlanta, Indiana, Philly and Atlanta again. The good news is that the Wiz aren't exactly playing heavyweights either. This team should be able to beat Portland, Seattle, Golden State and the Clippers and compete with Utah.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 19, 2007; 10:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert, a Father
Next: The NBA Scoring Race Heats Up

Comments

I'd love to see 3-2 or 4-1 on the trip, but with Butler out, I fear that a couple ineffective games are pretty likely. My sense is that the Wizards are playing with some purpose now - I liked Arenas's comment that "if Miami wins out, then we just have to win out too" - but road trips aren't easy for any non-elite team, and they've got two back-to-back sets out there, too.

I think the most probable outcome is for the Wizards to beat Portland and Seattle, beat Golden State but not the Clippers, and then lose to Utah. But they should have a good chance of hanging in every game, I think, so it's certainly possible for them to surprise me...

Posted by: Josh | March 19, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

3-2 is about right. They have gotten smoked in L.A. by the Clippers the last few years, so that one is definately an L. The Warriors are playing for a playoff spot and want revenge for that BS loss in Washington, so the Wizards lose that one.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 19, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm worried....the Portland game was the worst the Wiz have played all season and it was at home!

That being said, hopefully they can beat Portland and Seattle. I see them losing to Golden State, the Clippers, and the Jazz.

Posted by: Lisa | March 19, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm an optimistic fool but I've got money on 4-1, with the loss being one of the back-to-back games. Convention wisdom is it'll be the Jazz, but I think we beat Utah and lose to someone we should handle.

Posted by: Gack | March 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking for 4 and 1, but 3 and 2 maybe more realistic. I'm not as worried about Portland as Lisa. The Wiz came out sleep walking for that home game(1 o'clock Sunday,no TV) and weren't prepared and got deservedly Boo'ed off the court. I think they remember that.
Portland was the first team that sprung the defensive changes on the Wiz after AJ went down. They were doubling Gil, playing up in Caron's face and everybody else shaded toward the lane to take away the drive if Gil split the double. Gil drew two early charges, nobody else could hit a jumper, Daniels struggled, and they outworked us on the boards and controled tempo.
AJ being back is big for this one, and so is having Songalia and Ruffin healthy.
I don't think Ruffin should get as much playing time as EJ gives him sometimes, but Portland is a team that likes to mix it up. Time for Ruff to strap on the hockey mask and use those fouls. Last time thoose guys really ruffed Blatche up(he looked like the ball in a pinball machine in the lane)when he started and he didn't play many minutes. Interesting to see how the kid responds this time. That may be why EJ is saying who is starting is a gametime decision, he might be thinking he wants to set the tone early inside. I'd start the kid and see if he can mix it up in there. See if he can rise to the challenge knowing he got bounced around the first time.
But I think Gil will call up 5/0 and we can "book em Dano"! From there the Clippers and Utah will be the toughest.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Not personally impressed w/Hornets win. Everybody & his brother has beat the Hornets. Not a quality win. So GA finally got his touch back.Ivan & Michael - its great you're so optimistic but As Tapscott & the other announcer said post game:

"its easy when there's no one there to contest your shot." Nobody playing defense or in your face. Wiz could walk up - set their feet and shoot." That said - they really should have had more points but didn't. If you notice - there are less & less comments on this post as the season progresses. Detroit's been on a roll. That loss is understandable considering they just got back from a 5 game winning road trip out west. Good game for both teams.

Lets pray for the same from the Wiz.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 19, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Ivan & Mike,

Check with Agent Gilby to see if he's going to try again to hit 50 against Nate and his Blazers. We all know what happened the last Blazers game when he made the prediction.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan & Michael:

Did you hear me DoucheBags? I also said check with Gilby about why he doesn't pass the ball more?! Y'all know I like to play that 80's style Les Boules basketball.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

STFU!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you meet me somewhere & make me fudgepacker?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Nah, that would turn you on too much like I turned on your Pop.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"The Wiz came out sleep walking for that home game(1 o'clock Sunday,no TV)"

What an apologists excuse! Last I checked, Portland is on the West Coast, so that means their game was 10am in the morning West Coast time.

Les Boules though, did beat Utah earlier in the season by 3, in which Gilby scored 50 and AK47 went 0-4, for 4 pts. Boozer and Okur ate our big men's lunch though.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

What are you babbling about? Someone call the mods & ban me! Or is it him?

??

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a feck what the espn box score says. We all know what happens in the past doesn't repeat itself in the future.

Or did they not teach that in vocational school? What am I? A Phd?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"The Wiz came out sleep walking for that home game(1 o'clock Sunday,no TV)"

Posted by: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! | March 19, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

5-0 road trip is obviously the goal but 4-1 is achievable. I like the way Darius is coming around and starting Blatche is the right move by EJ -- hopefully EJ sticks with him. We need to outscore teams and I think Blatche and Darius give us that best team. Plus Darius brings some toughness and skill whereas as Ruffin brings hustle and toughness but very little skill.
At Utah, I would put Blatche on him since he is more of a perimeter PF/C. Contest his jump shot and make him put it on the floor. I think we match up well with Utah. I'm excited.

Posted by: Chad | March 19, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Going to see the game vs. the Warriors on Friday night! I hope Gilbert has a 50 point game - too bad we won't get to see Caron. Ivan & Mike - let the team know they have some support out on the left coast!

Posted by: Wiz vs. Warriors | March 19, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ivan - how can Blatche go "inactive for the remainder of the season" as not being one of the 12? How is Roger Mason, Jr. more of a "money veteran" than Blatche. Mason has decent 3-pt range, and plays OK defense, but he hardly more experienced than Blatche, and doesn't provide nearly the energy or rebounding. I don't get it.

Posted by: Tuna | March 19, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The Boys are back in town... Maybe fewer people are posting here because of obnoxious, boorish behavior.
It is getting really boring, way to predictable. Lisa, I think I pegged my predictions.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Jordan said his decision to deactivate Blatche on Wednesday night at Indiana because he wanted to rely on his veteran players or as he calls them, his "money" players."

As Tuna mentions, I don't really get it either and agree completely with what he wrote. Kinda like saying I can't play my best players because some older guys who can't play *cough*Hayes*cough*Ruffin*cough* deserve to play more.

Blatche should be 6th or 7th man in after the starters. Jordan plays favorties too much, I've always felt that.

No predictions on the road trip, they should be thinking one game at a time anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know anything about watching old games on Comcast on Demand? I wanted to watch Sat's game, but when I selected it, I just got a 1-minute commercial. Has anyone had luck with this? Thanks.

Posted by: G in DC | March 19, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

When Caron gets back Hayes may really find himself in the position of being odd man out since Jamison is getting more time at the three.
At that point Hayes and Roger Mason Jr. will be competing for minutes as the third shooting gaurd since when Daniels is in Gil really becomes a shooting gaurd. If Mason keeps playing with confidence and hitting his three's Hayes could get edged out of the top 12 all together.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

GM, when you're wrong, your wrong once again.

PS. I thought Lisa (ska supahead) told you not to read my posts anymore.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

The problem with this Wiz team is they could win any of the games and they can lose any of the games, which is not good for a team with serious playoff run aspirations. I think 3-2 at best.

Posted by: Rob P | March 19, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Jordan plays Mason because he's got no other options. EJ isn't very scientific. He's actually treating them rather childish. He uses players to get the other one angry.. example..Etan v. Haywood. Jamison v. Arenas. Its "supposed to make the other person kick his game up in order to gain playing time.

I really wish he'd go to the coaching school Avery Johnson, Phil, Brown and Riley went to. Saunders has a time with Wallace in Det. but manages better than this. Really...The entire Blatch matter is another example of the same thing. Pitting one player one against the other.

Making constant idle threats - then doesn't deliver. That is why this team is so undisciplined and inconsistent.

They are by their own natures..a good core of players. His games are unneccessary.

Avery Johnson shoots straight from the hip(Ivan has been witness as well)

He thinks he's coaching his son's team or something.

He should set his teams sites to win it all, never look back. This crap of "just makin it in the playoffs" is too slavery minded thinking.

I thought that was fine last year - They accomplished that goal then. This is a new year. It should have a greater goal then repeating the same level.

If the city is just happy being to go to verizon and see the team win off and on - then thats fine. To compete - They gotta do better(the coach)

Posted by: j | March 19, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The key is to not have that horrendous 'no effort' game on the trip. 3-2 is a necessity but not a probability.

A few other things:

Wizards and Warriors was an under-rated Nintendo game. The tightness was defeating the evil wizard Melkor which was twice as easy with the throwing axes of Agor instead of the boring 'sword of throwing'.

29, 5 boards, 6 dimes, 2 steals, 85% FT = The per game averages of a young star. Thank higher powers we have him.

Once I post this, I'm posting several responses to myself to compete with DCMan88 who is losing his argument with himself.

I cannot wait until 'arvis Hayes is out of basketball in 3 years.

Posted by: Bernard King | March 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

That's a weird accusation against EJ b/c when he was brought here, he was labeled a player's coach. Now, one member of the peanut gallery is saying he's pitting one player against another.

This though, does have some merit as it remind me of when Kwame threatened to slap Agent Gilby b/c Gilby was going behind his back and telling EJ not to put Kwame in the game. When you speak about weird substitution patterns, it reminds you during the playoffs two years ago where Kwame dominated the 2nd game against the Bulls, and then had single digit minutes the 3rd game. These weird substitution tendencies is nothing new with EJ.

Posted by: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!, Les BouleS, etc. | March 19, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"I cannot wait until 'arvis Hayes is out of basketball in 3 years."

Lol, BK is amusing as usual with his Nintendo dialect. :) If anyone has yet to play God of War II, your really missing out.

I'm telling you all Jordan has a thing for Hayes. Why do you think he's always trying to start him? He will be resigned in the offseason and a member of the Wiz next year(possibly to start in place of Stevenson as a scary thought) UNLESS someone gives him more money elsewhere.

I'm REALLY praying for the latter obviously.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I luv how EJ coaches. He inspires Agent Gilby & the rest. Kwame left because he couldn't bring it every nite. Gilby is the star that will carry this team. For sure.
Unlike Caron, who can't even suit up for 82.

Now where is that rogaine...I losing my mind again.

Posted by: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! | March 19, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!,

No, it's BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!, Les BouleS, etc.

If you're going to use my name, use it right!!!

Posted by: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!, Les BouleS, etc. | March 19, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ray, the interesting thing is that until now Ernie Grunfield hasn't publicly differed with Jordan on players or their roles. But Grunfield controls the purse strings up to the luxury tax level and I've got to wonder how much was said behind the scences about Blatch. It was reported that players talked about Blatch and we all know EG comes to practices, so to me it's a matter of putting 2 and 2 together.
I think down the stretch Hayes will be limited to very little 3 and some back up 2. If he can't hit the 3 ball he could play himself out of the top 12. I know I'm wrong about that, but that's my opinion.
I know EJ likes him but with the emergence of Blatch and Booth, and Songalia and Ruffin healthy I can't see anyway he's getting time at the 4 anymore. And in fact I think Jamison will be getting more time at the 3 to keep his scoring in the lineup and increase our length on D.
I'm probably wrong again, and I know Eddie is unpredictable, but he is showing real signs of turning away from smallball. So it really comes down to playing time for a third shooting gaurd, if Hayes can't hit his shot he could be the odd man out.
Bottem line, I just can't see that Ernie Grunfield will let Stevenson walk and keep Hayes. Hayes isn't his draftee so he has no vested interest in seeing that he makes it.
I honestly think Ernie will resign Hayes and package him with some other expiring contracts and possibly draft picks or the rights to someone overseas and ship him to a team trying to get some cap releif. Ernie has shown some creativity in trying to come up with trades to improve his team in the past.
As for Stevenson, Blatch or Hayes getting a huge FA offer that we wouldn't match. There's not much money out there and the teams that are willing to go over the cap are already there. The Bobcats have money to spend, but the rumor is Jordan wants Carter so that will all be gone. I think Stevenson is happy here and if he can get a 3 yr. deal at 10-12M both sides will be real happy.
Blatch could pose a different problem, if I'm his agent I'm thinking short term because in two years the kid could explode. That one will be real interesting. If MJ doesn't get Carter I could see him making a play for Blatch based on his upside, and if he doesn't get him at least he drove up the price on Abe.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

BOO!

Besides I can't imagine your ego would let you keep that name. Heck your mother, whom I bang in the rear with a plunger last nite, hand a hard enough time calling you cluelesston88. But then that was really the only thing she's taken hard in a awhile.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Not this summer but middle of next esp. if we don't advance pass the 2nd round & have a slow start next year.

At some point, the players might mutiny vs. EJ, if they see he is favoring 1 player over another based on whatever & not on production.

As for AB's contract. We can take a chance & sign him to a long term BH type contract. Where we show a little faith in the unknown for a discount. It depends though on how much AB & his agent think they've been screwed over by EJ.

Posted by: Victor | March 19, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Or is it nintendo's
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If they could tie him up for Haywood like numbers for 6 years it would be another great move by EG. From Blatch's point of view he'd only be 29 and hoping to max out.
I agree that Eddie Jordan could be in trouble if a disagreement developes between him and Grunfield over players. I know our players are young and can tend to get distracted, but some nights I think EJ losses focus too.
Against Toronto they seemed to have a game plan and the coaches seemed focused and stuck to it and we blew out a playoff bound team. Against NY I don't blame that loss as much on the players as Jordan. He apparently wasn't prepared for Stevie Francis and they never adjusted the whole game.
I got to agree with Ray, sometimes he seems very distracted or lacks focus. That's not a good thing for your head coach. Other nights he seems focused and poised. Too often I think he reacts to what the other coach is doing.
I think it was said back after the Atlanta game, that if you go small Eddie will go even smaller. Hopefully this road trip will get them all focused. Sometimes being on the road together can be a good thing.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey DC Man 88. Keep that garbage off this blog. I'm trying real hard not to give you the attention you obviously crave but c'mon, keep it clean.

Posted by: Ivan | March 19, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is anyway Arvis starts the season with the Wiz in 07-08. Ernie sees what we all see and Blatche's roll should only grow over the rest of this season and into next year.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 19, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

3-2 is optimistic, I think. We have two back-to-back sets coming up.

Posted by: miestersean | March 19, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

George, Before this year ever started Ernie was talking about Blatch and Pechy and seeing what we have, and letting them grow together. I understood that he was very pleased with their chemistry in summer league.
I think that's his plan and he's sticking to it. Leaving Pechy overseas for one more year pushed his FA back another year. It will give EG more time to get some other contracts lined up before he has to sign Pechy long term if he pans out

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

That should have been role.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 19, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"GM, with the continual emergence of AB, if EJ keeps defying EG the boss, he will be coaching himself out of a job."

I agree with you and GM both.

GM, it's all about $$$ and if Stevenson gets a better deal then what the Wiz can offer he's not gonna stay. He fits here like a glove so I definately hope he stays(minus the hand wave).

No pun intended. ;)

Vic, Blatche keeps improving while Hayes just doesn't. EG can't be oblivious to that, I mean geeze we can all see it.

Don't get me wrong I think Jordan is a nice guy and a snappy dresser, but those same players Jordan is loyal to will be the reason he's fired. I still believe that.

What does that say though? I mean that EG will have to not re-sign players so that the coach can't play them?

It's not gonna happen this year, but EG is no fool. Talk to me next year at this time. Like you write about Hayes GM, EG did not hire Jordan. That was Mr. Polin's hire.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Jordan getting fired. They took a long time resigning his new contract but I don't see Abe "tight wad" Polin releasing him til near the end of his contract. They got Stevenson for around $900,000 so they might up it to maybe 2,000,000 - just maybe not that high.

Not sure what Hayes makes..I'll look. But Hayes - Jordan uses as a pawn to control other players. He prob has some behind the scenes roll. Jordan is not an up-frant kind of coach more passive aggressive.
He's quick to sit Daniels, Blatch & play Hayes cuz one of them didn't do something right.
Think back to Arenas on camera comments that "players were nervous they might get benched cuz they didn't do something right" Its his form of psychology I guess.

I bet there are all kinds of weird reasons he benches players. That entire Blatche thing was just stupid. To hold a press conference - speak to the press then suddenly realize - OOPS! We need you?

I agree w/ Arenas about one thing: "Why wait til you are in the thick of the season...last 20 games or so then decide your team better play defense? Like GA said: "They ain't been playin defense thus far & have been winning games with their offense & enjoying the games. Why change horses mid stream?
That statement right there bros & sisters is what prob has had them in a funk.

Posted by: j | March 19, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Any Idea what Stevenson's hand thing means? My one son said he thinks it means that he just gave the guy a "facial". I know Buckhantz and Chenier don't know what it is, but they're old guys like me.
I don't know what alot of today's hand signs mean. I'm still pretty basic, I do know the "International Driver's Destress Sign". Think I might of even used it a few times on my way to a Wizard's game.

Posted by: GM | March 19, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"Any Idea what Stevenson's hand thing means?"

It's from a hip hop video, can't remember which or the artist. He saw it and started using it only to find out he was not the first one to do it. One of the Portland players did so last year "to the point of annoyance" or something like that so Stevenson stopped.....for a short time but habits are hard to break. :)

Maybe someone can go back, it's on a previous blog but I'm too popped to look. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 19, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

GM, I saw him interviewed by Chick 1 night after a good game & he said it means: "He's so hot, he can't feel his face."

At a game recently, someone next to me said he thinks it's like windshield wipers cause he's raining jumpers.

Of course the same guy enlightened me to the arvis thing...he's missing his J(umper).

I had to chuckle on a few of those.

Posted by: Victor | March 19, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

The other connotation of the hand-wave is "you can't see me". Which, considering how D-Steve tells the other dudes in the locker room they can't talk to him unless they're in the .500 club, seems apropos :D

Posted by: Gack | March 19, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, there's someone obsessed with me here, besides GM, or it could be GM. Who knows, but the point is they are using my "name" to make weird posts. Doesn't bother me a bit, but it's just like me making a post with your name "Ivan." Can't control it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 19, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

It's a win-win situation. It's great for Verizon Center (me), and great for the DC Council. Pay up fans, it costs to have a good team!

Posted by: Honest Abe | March 19, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

The way the VZN Cneter has revitalized the China Town Penn Qtr area, brought excitement to this town. The price is small for improvement.

Posted by: Victor | March 19, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Except 1 thing else about the money for the VZN Center. They keep talking about that state of the art scoreboard. Even when I was there 10 years ago for the grand opening, I was never impressed with it. Nor did I ever think it was state of the art.

It was a modern version of the old Cap Centre tel-screen. Big deal, no.

Too me, State of the art would be a LCD/Plasma like picture & more data about the boxscore.

Posted by: Victor | March 19, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, please block DC Man88. He has consistently proven that he is too crude to be on this board.

I have been a fan of the W. Post for decades, but DC Man88 is dragging down the level of discourse here mightily.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I support DC Man 88 to a certain degree. He makes statements about the Wizards, but a lot of people jump on him and then pretend to be victims after he responds. A lot of posters here are diehard Wizards fans and don't like any dissention and they try to shout these people down. It's totally out of whack here. I have noticed that there's been a lot of spamming by someone.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Two things I was wondering. At the start of a West Coast trip like this one do the Wizards fly out a day early?
The other was, wasn't it Portland where Abe's brother owned a place out by the airport that the Wiz always stayed, and then when Micheal Jordan was with the Wiz he moved the whole team to another place because he said Abe brother's place was an economy class dump?
Thanks for the feedback on the hand thing that Stevenson makes, from a hip hop video, don't know how I missed it. Guess I've been watching to much college BBall. Thank God for a break til thursday.

Posted by: GM | March 20, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse

I just read on Yahoo Sports that Zach Randolph is missing tonight's game.

Posted by: Mitch | March 20, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I think it's a great idea to tax the ticket buyers in order to spruce up Verizon Center. Unfortunately for Ted Leonsis though, the arena will be given to the district down the road, which would decrease the value of his holdings when he takes over.

Sure, the overall cost will be slightly lower, but I'm sure Leonsis would rather own the Arena since it's a huge revenue source (ie. concerts, etc.). Poor Teddy Big Bucks has been waiting patiently on the sidelines to take over, and Abe won't give it up until Les BouleS win a championship, which isn't likely anytime soon. No comments to date from Teddy on what he thinks about this turn of events.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

The posters that have posted wanting to ban or supporting another poster to a certain degree maybe on to something. Maybe if no one signed their name to anything then there would be all of this name calling that goes on.
Or maybe this blog would turn into a complete free for all where some posters would just go beserk. No wait it already did!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Mitch, you're right Randolph is supposed to be out for bereavement leave tonight.
I noticed on Fox Sports that some of the Portland players said that Gil told them that he had started talking about dropping 50 on them hoping that he could get ABC to pickup the game at Washington for national TV.
Hope the team comes out focused, it seems like they turn in some of their worst efforts when they think they're going up against teams that are short handed.
Here, I'll say it in advance, I'm a stupid old fart that is wrong about everything that I post. I'm a lap dog and I do nothing but make excuses for the Wiz. Just thought I'd save you all reading another rant!

Posted by: GM | March 20, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

From what I've read, the Verizon Center wouldn't become DC city property until something like 2047. That's far enough in the future that I doubt it would have too big an effect on the value of the franchise over the next ten or fifteen years.

Posted by: Josh | March 20, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Portland is missing one of their best players. Usually that means an L for the Wizards. I hope not. And as for having the fans pay for the improvements. Better the fans who visit the Verizon Center pay for it than the people in the city who never go there. I just wish the Wizards/Caps tickets weren't already so expensive.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 20, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Stevenson would be an idiot to accept anything less than what he turned down from Orlando, which was more than $3 million a year. And the Zards would be idiots for offering him anything less.

Posted by: Zonker | March 20, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

At the rate Abe is going, he might live another 10-15 years. He's recovering from a hip fracture, and has looked a bit bloated as of late, but was in his box for the George Michael going away at Verizon.

His conditions on selling the team were this: a) Les BouleS would need to win another championship and he would sell immediately afterwards; or b) his will dictates that Leonsis' team, Lincoln Holdings, would have the first right to buy the rest of Abe's holdings upon him kicking the bucket. Sounds like "b," another 10-15 years to me.

One thing to note though. The average fan who's paying the tax is really only going to benefit from viewing the new scoreboard. Most of the tax monies will go towards renovating the sky boxes. As I read, right now the skyboxes rent at about $100k/year, and after renovation, will command $400K/year.

The average fans paying those taxes aren't going to have access to those luxury boxes. Hopefully some of those profits from the new skyboxes will trickle down to improve the average fan's experience, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If Wiz don'r run Blazers out of their arena tonight, the Wiz are in big trouble. Blazer's best-- Zach Randolph-- will miss game to attend a funeral. In most recent game, Blazers mailed in second half of ugly loss to hapless Sonics, getting crushed. It was more pathetic than how Wiz played against Blazers in DC. Bright spot for team: rookie Brandon Roy, probable rookie of the year. This Seattle loss, though, left Roy muttering afterward about difference between teams that lose and a losing team. Gil's 50 this evening should be a cakewalk, unless Blazers got a backbone transplant yesterday.

Posted by: Blazers-of-old | March 20, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

2047? Just in time for the taxpayers to have to pay to tear it down! In 40 years Ted might still be waiting for Abe to step aside.
But as an item of basic fairness, the City helping with some improvements at Verizon and collecting the money back in taxes is the least they can do in light of the money being spent for a home for baseball.
Not many sports owners ever contribute to paying for their teams home. Abe has done it twice, I'm sure he's made his money back many times over in the real estate market. But Mr. Pollin has never held up DC like Major League Baseball's Cartel of owners did.
To save you time, and me typing, please refer to the last paragraph of my previous post.

Posted by: GM | March 20, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words - 5 and oh!!

* Zach Randolph's out for Portland - W
* Next night Seattle proves to be the more inconsistent - W
* Friday Gil and Antawn show the Warriors what they could've had - W
* Next night the Clippers get blown out - W
* Finally cap it all off Monday night with another buzzer beater by Agent Zero to down the Jazz - W

Posted by: Frank | March 20, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

One thing to note, which I know people love. The last time Les BouleS beat the Sonics, they were without Rashard Lewis. Looks like they got their big men back and Ray Allen had a decent game last time. If Blatche starts, he's going to have to guard Lewis at the 3.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dude, don't flatter yourself. You're not worth all the attention you think you deserve. But of course, you want it, since you keep referring to "rants" targeted against you. Stop obsessing and get over it already.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I vote we don't use names or initials.

Wiz should win handily tonite. This poor team is down to one player who left for a funeral. They have been slaughtered by every team in NBA so far.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Just curious..How does the General Mgr of a team live in another city?

Jordan lives in Chicago but declares he's the Gen Mgr. of Bobcats and makes pretty tough negative comments as though he's there. He's fired the coach - but I am baffled how anybody can do that when they don't show but every now & then.
Help me out.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

If you're refering to me, at 50 I'm nobody's Dude. For quite somtime you've made a habit of coming on after nearly every post I make and manage to call me a name of some kind.
And frankly the post that tried to connect me to your day of vulgar crap by blaming me for using your name is about the height of it.
I'll get over it when you quit name calling vulgar posts. You want to be treated like an adult. Act like one consistantly! I haven't had a problem here with any other poster. This crap that has been going on here didn't start til you came around.
So Dude... If you want to post on a real live grown up site where the subject is Wizards Basketball not a Anal sex......Grow up!

Posted by: GM | March 20, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

DUDE, you're so lame; quite a crybaby too.

snore.......

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Gosh GM. Why do you respond to his emails?
I thought the general consensus was to ignor his posts?

Truth is, I too am way over 50 - could care less about all this junk and negative rhetoric. I enjoy good basketball. Read loads of sports pages & writers. I fly to different games just because. Happen to love the Suns & their style of play cuz they make it so fun and exciting.

Nothing the negative person has to say should faze you one way or the other.

Think about it like this: Does his/her comments: change the outcome of the game? your life? pay your bills? drive your car?
NO!! Then they don't matter.

Peace & love. Have fun watchin your team.

Posted by: Robin | March 20, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Gil's 50 this evening should be a cakewalk, unless Blazers got a backbone transplant yesterday."

I'll tell you this. NO FREAK WAY Gil drops 50 on a kid of Fort Washington, MD. You can take that to the bank. And if you don't know who Jarret Jack is you better learn.

Posted by: dc | March 20, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Robin, I could only wish that he would leave me alone.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

This guy might be there when we pick in this year's draft.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 20, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse