Kobe Was Meant To Score

I know everybody else was probably watching the NCAA Tournament last night - and I did catch a glimpse of Greg Oden, too - but I clicked over to NBA League Pass so I could truly witness March Madness. I had to see if Kobe Bryant would become the fourth player in NBA history to score 50 points in three straight games last night in Memphis.

He has scored 175 points in his past three games. That number is even more phenomenal when you consider that several teams, such as the Atlanta Hawks, have struggled to score that many points in back-to-back games this season.

When the season began, reporters around the country wrote stories about how Bryant had matured, how the No. 24 represented a new era for the former No. 8. He was involving his teammates more, which resulted in more wins. Phooey. It worked for awhile, and it appeared that Bryant had truly bought into Phil Jackson's triangle offense the way Michael Jordan did in Chicago in the 90s - until the Lakers lost 11 of 14 and Kobe got more attention for clobbering opponents with his right elbow, instead of squaring his elbow and pointing it directly toward the rim for another shot.

Sports Illustrated's Jack McCallum offered up an interesting debate on Bryant earlier this week. But I don't think there really is need for deliberation. The Lakers are unbeaten when he gets 60.

Kobe is not meant to be a passer. It's like forcing Emeril to make a Big Mac.

Kobe Bryant is the greatest offensive weapon in the game, a dangerous scorer because he can get points in every way imaginable. He can score in the low post, drive to the basket, drain shots from the perimeter. There isn't a spot on the floor where he cannot be effective. Aside from his skill set, Bryant is also the only player in the game capable of this sort of run because he has that ornery mentality to humiliate and embarrass anyone standing in his way (teammates included). When he wants the ball, get out of the way or get crushed.

"He's in a league all to himself," Jackson told reporters in Memphis. "What you admire in Kobe is that he's going to attack. He's going to be in that mode and he's going to continue to go at a team until either you take him out of ballgame or else they stop him."

Take a look at his most explosive offensive outbursts: Five years ago, he scored 56 in three quarters against Memphis. Last season, Bryant outscored Dallas 62-61 after three quarters. Everyone remembers what he did last January against Toronto. Then he decided to bust Portland for 65, Minnesota for 50, and Memphis for 60. (And, what does Kobe have against Memphis, by the way?) Those videos play out like pure comedy when you see the ease at which he scores.

Bryant already has as many 60-point games in his career as Jordan (four) and they've all come in the past two seasons. He should get a few more - possibly this season, possibly tonight in New Orleans.

So, don't worry about getting that extra assist to Smush Parker or Kwame Brown. Keep on shooting, Kobe. Keep on scoring. Keep it up.

By Michael Lee  |  March 23, 2007; 11:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Butler staying in DC for now
Next: Road Tripping

Comments

Like a fastball pitcher that is scary fast and just wild enough and mean enough to make you wonder when you'll get one in your ear Kobe has defenders thinking right now.
Is he going right, going left, going to the hole, pulling up and shooting, or am I getting an elbow in the ear? Alot to think about.
When Kobe gets that look I think the other Lakers have learned to get out of the way and play defense. He is in a zone right now.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Kobe is pretty sick - alleged and confirmed.

I bet Emeril would make a pretty money Big Mac.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | March 23, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

thats 175 of the most "conscious" points i can think of... congrats Kobe...

Posted by: Ledell Eackles | March 23, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Let him score. But NEVER confide in him. Just ask Shaq.

Posted by: iceberg | March 23, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

That's all well and good, but what he did early in the season is what he will have to do in the playoffs or he will never win a title without Shaq and he needs to do that.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 23, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Kobe is a wonderfully skilled basketball player. Frankly, while never fair to compare athletes of different eras, I suspect that Kobe is, all up and all in, and putting aside his personality, as good as Michael was. Kobe doesn't have the personnel that Michael did in his heyday so hard to draw a firm conclusion, but I don't see an area where Michael was distinctly better than Kobe: passing, shooting, scoring, down low, perimeter, defense, even intensity. Kobe's legacy will never be close to Michael's b/c of the off-court issues and the feud with Shaq, but as a pure hoopster. . .

That all being said, I'd take Michael in his prime over Kobe even purely on skills alone, but not by much, and we all do view the past with rose colored lenses.

The flip side of this is that while I am sure that Kobe is driving to the playoffs with all this scoring right now, I am sure too that he is thinking about the MVP award. He racks up a few more of these sick games, and he carries the Lakers to a fifth or sixth seed by himself, tough to look elsewhere given that Nowitzki has to overcome his rep as a choker, LeTravel hasn't put together a full season, and tough to give it to the same player three years running.

Posted by: charles jones | March 23, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Gilbert, but do we need any more reasons why Gilbert idolizes Kobe? Kobe is the man!

Posted by: Lisa | March 23, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

To take shots like shows that he has no conscious :-)

Posted by: Wizzy | March 23, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the dude AT ALL, but there is no denying his swag is uber-phenomenal.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

No 1 complains when you score 60 & your team wins (which btw, I have never really heard of any team really losing after 1 of their's score 60+).

So why the complaints of unconciousness when Gilbert goes for 40+ & his team wins?
Double standard? If Kobe is meant to shoot, so are some other players including Gilbert.

MJ was winning prior to the supporting cast. He became a champion when he got the reinforcements. Lets not kid ourselves that he only realized then that he needed to pass the ball. HE NEVER HAD ANYONE TO PASS TO PRIOR!.

Finally Kobe, you are the best player in the league & the second coming of MJ playing wise.

Just not style wise.@@

Posted by: Victor | March 23, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Kobe, and think he's great, but I still put Gilbert ahead of him. Gilbert is only 25, and can achieve and best Kobe if Arvis, EJ, and Brendan weren't dragging the team backwards.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I may appreciate him, but I still don't like him.

Posted by: TG | March 23, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Well they're still at it. That's not my post. I never use "Arvis" in case no one has ever noticed.
I do have to agree Charles Jone and George Templeton, on the court Kobe could be at or near Jordan. It's the off the court intangibles that seperate Jordan from Kobe. As I said before Jordan played for a number of years with a cut rate contract, alot of these guys have said they're all about the ring. Jordan put his money where his mouth was and went for the rings. He more than made his bucks back in marketing.
Kobe and Shaq and their Mamas and Shaq's Daddy and everybody around them tore apart a championship run in LA. I'm not assigning blame in that one, but Shaq has gone on and co-existed with D Wade and won another title. Kobe hasn't, to win a title it takes more than one great player. It remains to be seen if Kobe can play a role as the leader of a championship team and allow others around him to develop into the players needed to make a title run.
I agree at the moment he's got his eyes fixed on a scoring title and an MVP. It remains to be seen how he plays in the playoffs.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"And, after seeing Bryant drop 60 on the Memphis Grizzlies, I have to tell you: I don't want to see Kobe share anymore."

Awww, Mike and his "Kobe love" is so cute. ;)

I'm kidding. :)

Dude, Kobe is going to get the scoring title. No other team counts on one person as much as the Lakers do.

Could actually make a case for MVP, right Mike? :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 23, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This isn't the same NBA Wilt or MJ played in. Players don't care about defending anymore, it's all about money, there is no pride.

Where was his defender last night, who the heck was his defender last night, he has no self respect.

The rules have changed, the game has changed.

kobe is good no doubt, but his numbers don't really represent how good he is in comparison to other greats, this isn't the same game the other Greats played, that game was alot harder.

When MJ scored 60+ it was on boston and bird, a hard defending team.

kobe is better then the nba players right now, but that is about it.

Posted by: mj always will be better | March 23, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The other thing is that kobe doesn't seem to recognize that his game is pinned to mj's. At least he should be grateful to mj once in awhile for his genuis on the court.

Mj always referred to Doc J as someone he learned from and said he was grateful for the things he learned from them.

kobe is in some kind of denial about who he learned how to play from. And he is unoriginal. he hasn't taken the game further or anything.

Lebron is taking it further.

Posted by: mj always will be better | March 23, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"The rules have changed, the game has changed."

I'm sure Wilt and Oscar said the same thing about MJ and Bird.

It's hard to compare "eras" since the game has changed so much in the last 50 years.

Shaq would have crushed Wilt into tooth picks 40 years ago.

It works both ways.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 23, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Ray -
You are comparing apples to oranges.

I said the game changed.

Wilt against Shaq isn't about the game, it's about their physical attributes.

The only one that seems to be playing hard is kobe, so it's like he's all by himself on the court.

Posted by: mj always will be better | March 23, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I often wonder if "The Logo" had played with a three point line what he would of scored. Watch some of those greatest games of the NBA and see how many jumpers Jerry West put up from 3 land and he was only getting 2. God knows what he'd done if he'd practiced the three ball.
Or The Big O, put Oscar Robinson on the floor with a team of three ballers like the Suns have to spread the floor and that man would have put up insane numbers. He averaged a triple double for about 3 years with everyone packing the lane to keep him from penetrating. He'd tear this league apart in a more open court without hand checking. Or could you imagine MJ with no one allowed to hand check him?
But worst of all imagine Wilt able to post-up ball palmed in one hand looking for open shooters at the three point line while sizing up the center trying to guard him all alone. Pick your poison, gaurd Wilt one on one, or allow one of the greatest passing big men that ever played to look for the open man at the three line. Oh, and besides Jerry West they had Gail Goodrich out there too!
Kobe may be the best in the game today, but he's got a ways to go to crack the top 5 alltime Lakers

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We all know how good he is. It's just flagrant that he's great as a player and watching him playing is great too. But honestly I just can't stop thinking about his personnality you know. I mean I respect him quiet a lot cause he is awesome, one of the best baller ever, but this respect starts and ends on the court you know. Anyway I think hell enjoy shooting all game long till the playoffs cause he knows what he does and as soon as the playoffs will start he'll act more as a team guy, I mean if it seems like the lakers need it, cause we all know he won't trade any 50 or more game opportunity!

Posted by: Mehdi | March 23, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ray, Wilt wasn't as beefy as Shaq but he was an incredibly strong man. My older brother and I had tickets at Cole Field House when the Bullets played their split season there and in Baltimore.
The Laker game was close late in the 4th, Jerry West missed a shot that hit the front of the rim and Wes and Wilt were struggling for position. Wilt held Wes off with one arm while he battled Jack Marian for the ball with the other. He ripped the ball away from Jack's two hands with his one and pulled it into his chest as he turned back toward the rim, both Wes and Jack tried to tie him up and foul him. He gathered himself with Marian on his back with a bear hug around his shoulders and just went up and dunked with Jack still holding on.
I've watched alot of basketball since but I've never seen a feat like that again.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who argues that it was easier for Kobe to score than it was for Wilt or MJ is ridiculous. To say that teams in Jordan's era cared more about defense is nonsense. A few memorably hard fouls in the playofs does not make you a tough defensive team. The 80s Celtics were a smart defensive team, but they lilke many of their 80s opponents were decidedly offense first. Which is why they and the Lakers were surpassed by the Pistons, the team that ushered in the NBA's defense first era. And to suggest that a 7-foot Wilt Chamberlain faced stiffer defenses in the 1960s than 6'6 Kobe Bryant faces now is either lunacy or stupidity. I'm not sure which.

Why is it that people can't separate Kboe the player from Kobe the person? Who cares what he said about Shaq to who? He's the best basketball player on the planet right now, and one of the greatest to ever play. Give the man his due.

Posted by: SouthernDandy | March 23, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Wilt was a freak among men at the time he played, and weren't there like, oh I don't know, several dozen or more rules put in place that didn't exist in Wilt's day because of how he was able to dominate the game?

You can't deny the guy was unstoppable, but at the same time, you also can't compare him to guys from today because the conditions under which they're playing are radically different.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

This has got to be the funniest thing in today's Post:

""You know, I always dreamed about someone leaving a jersey on the court and having everybody run out and trample each other to get it; so I was trying to see if that would happen," Arenas said. "But I was the only person standing out there, so I was kind of disappointed."

Arenas's stunt fizzled because the stunned fans ringing the court at Key Arena froze and stared at the jersey while Arenas stood over it. After a few moments and with some encouragement from his date, one brave man eventually walked from his seat underneath the basket, got around a security guard and made a move for the jersey only to be foiled by the Sonics mascot, who snatched it off the floor in defiance."

Is this fool full of himself or what? He DREAMS of people trampling over each other to get his jersey!!!! I would only imagine GM and Lisa breaking bones trying to get his jersey, but Lisa would probably win because she's probably a lot younger than the old fart, GM! GM would throw out his back bending over to pick it up.

Maybe Gilby would have had more success with people killing each other if the threw his jersey down on the ground outside of the Rose Garden where he signed autographs after the game in which he shot the 6 ft. airball in the Blazers' game. Then the "look on the 9 year old's face," as GM mentioned, would go from excitement to pure agony as the poor kid is trampled over while people are trying to get Agent Gilby's jersey!

Arenas's dream come true!!! Please apologists, try to apologize for him for that sick, sick quote from a NUT!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"NBA nowadays is so laid back. Whenever I go see games you can tell no one is really playing as hard as they could or should."

Sorry I misunderstood.

I dunno it's hard for me to believe that players like AI, D-Wade, Steve Nash, Dirk, Duncan, and so on aren't playing hard especially during the playoffs.

To me there's always been difference of level of play during the season and during the playoffs. Many of those highlights were post season ones.

Will there ever be a Magic vs. Bird? Yeah, sure there will. Everyone was so concerned when MJ retired that the league would fall apart but the stars are so young right now. I would love to see a Gil vs. Lebron rematch in the playoffs myself.

"Hey Ray, Wilt wasn't as beefy as Shaq but he was an incredibly strong man."

Absloutely. I just think he would be no match for Shaq in his prime is all. My opinion of course. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 23, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

The league has a number of young and rising stars, some of them even have personality! If you can't love guys like Walt "Clyde" Frazier, World B. Free, Charles Barkley and many many others,you need to find another sport like the No Fun League. As much as I love football you got to laugh at how tight assed the NFL owners can be.
If you can't laugh at some of Gilbert's antics and grin at them for what they are then you're taking basketball far to seriously. Like Ray, I'd like to see the Wiz and Cleveland meet again again and establish a running feud with Queen La Travel.
Lets mix it up and have a little fun instead of whining on a daily basis about what's wrong. Hell, it's March 23rd and
we're in first place, driving for the playoffs, after all of these years if you can't have fun with that, what is there?

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Pacers are CRUSHING the Heat by 30 right now. Say what you want about us losing to sub-500 teams, but at least our losses were close games :)

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Gilby apologist strikes again. Very weak....... It's bad enough that he talked about people trampling themselves going for his jersey, but for him to say he dreamed about it, to initiate it, and then to admit that he was bummed out when people didn't go gaga/buckwild killing each other in a mob scene over his jersey on the floor, that's a huge stretch for your apology. Sickening.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Another day closer to the end of the season another day in first place. Miami went ahead and lost, hope the guys can expand the lead tonight.
Not a cakewalk the Warriors are playing for the 8 spot out west. Great win by Georgetown tonight, clutch shot shot by Green, but wow on replay I think he got away with a "King Like" double switch of his pivot foot on that play.

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

It's the same old song.....It's Friday night, take the boys out for a drink...
You all can still hate the Wizards tomorrow. Who knows with a good hangover you can really work up a rage, then maybe you could even make up some new stuff because your same old song is getting really old.
Your unlike real wine, your whine is not improving with age!

Posted by: GM | March 23, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The real same song is another apology or turning a blind eye from you. I'm not asking for you to jump on my bandwagon and condemn him, but the lack of objectivity from your part by not acknowledging what's right and what's wrong the latest Gilby antic is pathetic.

This is getting too easy. Anyone with an iota of objectivity can sit back and for sure, Gilby will put his foot in his mouth again, as his true colors come out. Too bad most people here are colorblind.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, you're the one with the "look at the face of the 9 year old and how excited he would be to have a professional athlete sign his autograph" example, and then to imagine this is the same guy who admits to dreaming, initiating, and gets bummed out when fans don't create a mob scene "trampling" over each other to get a chance at his jersey. Hopefully it's not your kid getting steamrolled. Yeah, I'm creating the hate by making this stuff up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Nice reffing going on tonight. This is going to be a bloodbath unless the zebras get their crap together and start calling it down the middle.

GM, just stop feeding the troll, man.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

It's too easy ack.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Good lord. We've got like 4 players with 2 fouls and it's the END OF THE FIRST!

Stephen Jackson Teed up twice and ejected!
D-Steve dunking over a 6'11" center!! Gilbert with 7 dimes!!!

IN THE FIRST QUARTER!!!!!!!!!

This game is a freaking circus. And it sounds like there's all of 10 people in the arena, do they pump in silence or something? They keep booing DeShawn, but otherwise you could hear a cellphone ring in the nosebleed seats.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I only wish Tough Juice was playing in this game. He's probably chomping at the bit back here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 23, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

We may see one of these teams have to forfeit because they can't field 5 players by the time this game ends. This is pure insanity.

Arvis with 10 points and hasn't missed yet. BTH is hitting fadeaway jumpers. The Wiz are killing the Warriors with dimes!

The WORLD HAS GONE MAD.

Posted by: Gack | March 23, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

... and predictably, now of course, they aren't whistling anything -- it's hack-attack all over the place.

I'm trying hard to remember the last time I watched a professional sporting event with officiating this bad. This is just unbelievable.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Would someone who has watched the whole game please explain how any team (esoecially this one) can commit 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turnovers against the WARRIORS? The Warriors who aren't exactly the Spurs on defense. Sweet jesus!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I am hating Gilbert Nazi & I am gay.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

This is pathetic...

Posted by: rurikbird | March 24, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Utterly ridiculous, another winnable game that they let slip away. A 9-point lead at halftime and come out with nothing in the 3rd quarter. Baron Davis wore the Wizards ass out. Dammit!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 1:07 AM | Report abuse

George, for one thing because the zebras were letting the Warriors hack the ever-living crap out of every ballhandler.

That doesn't excuse all the poor passes that were tossed out there.

The real travesty tonight: twofold.
1. We continue to leave free points at the line (9 missed tonight)
2. We let a guy like this Biedrins clown just camp out underneath the basket and dunk all night long. There's a reason he shoots a high percentage, guys, because he doesn't ever take jumpers. He's a lane camper. We let this clown go 10-14 for 24 points -- that's inexcusable. This guy is no Chris Wilcox.

The turnovers can be chalked up at least to the fact that both of these teams are among the top teams for fast-breaks and steals, but we could have withstood that abysmal 3rd quarter had we actually made them rely on those jumpers all game long instead of making a superstar out of a chump who averages 10 a game.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Once again you can chalk up another loss to Eddie Jordan!!! The worse coach in professional sports. He has 3 1/2 centers at his disposal and he use two pf's wit no athletic ability whatsoever. Great game by Jarvis too. Roger stunk up the joint (and has been the last couple of games). But this game was given away at the start of the 3rd with Deshawn trying to show off for the home crowd. That was the worse display of basketball i've seen him play as a Wizard. It completly took away from an exciting game the way he tried to ball hog. Nonetheless, we stay in 1st thanks to a no show by the Heat against Indiana. But I wonder how much they'll have in the tank tonight against the Clips

Posted by: C.Bell | March 24, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

And for the record I don't think this game was as winnable as you might think -- consider the final game stats and you'll see we outrebounded, had more assists, tied them in steals, and had only a handful more turnovers than they did.

The difference was points in the paint, which we have never found an answer for (sorry Haywood fans, but it's a bigger problem than that), and the fact that we ran into a team who shoots hotter than we do.

We shot 53% for the game! And we took NINETY freaking shots! And 38% from 3pt! Thing is, they shot an unbelievable 58%, and 40% from 3pt range. That, to me is all about defense.

And we don't play defense.

Hence, I don't think we really could win this game. Our only game plan is to run the other team out of the building, and when we're shooting well, that seems to work most nights. Tonight we just ran into somebody hotter.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

All good points Gack, I thank you. I actually saw Jamison covering Davis on one of the possesions late (yikes). Who did the Wizards try on him tonight (not that it would have made a difference)?

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 1:22 AM | Report abuse

SWADAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!BACK
BREAKER!!!!!

That was one heckuva performance by the Warriors, especially Baron and Monta. Agent Gilby ended the game once again, with an airball. Didn't matter, because the Warriors were way too athletic and had way too much passion for Les BouleS to withstand. The Warriors were without Stephen Jackson again, who was tossed from the game with 2 quick T's!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Once again, you have to laugh because otherwise, you'd cry! I mean, Les BouleS gave up 62 FRIGGEN' points in the paint! Nobody played any F'n defense or had any toughness except for Songaila even though they outrebounded the Warriors by 8 boards, and 8 offensive boards. Biedrens, a 6-11 European guy who looks like he's 200 lbs. constantly flew in untouched for either a rebound, or a dunk. WTF? Brendan, Etan, Ruffin, and Songaila TOTALED 7 REBOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!

Agent Gilby can score all the points he wants, and get all the assists he wants, but if he plays Agent Zero defense, then they will lose again. He had 7 steals, but never even tried to stop his man. Deshawn Stevenson proved yet again that he's no defensive stopper. If Gilby wants to learn how to play defense, he might want to watch some videos of his idol, Kobe, who's a six time All Defensive Selection. Maybe next time he can do something against Baron and Monta Ellis, who were both lightning quick.

Many times on the court, I saw Baron exert his veteran leadership on the court by getting into other people's faces. None of that happened on Les Boules side. Seriously, Tough Juice might want to get on a plane right now. Lost yet again to a below .500 team.

PS. Jarvis had a pretty good game. HA!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 1:31 AM | Report abuse

George, it was a mix of guys on Davis, but the tempo of this game was pretty much fast-break the entire game, so it's not like there was a whole lot of defense on either end of the floor.

C.Bell is right that DeShawn really screwed the pooch in the 3rd and he sat pretty much the rest of the game. Dude had 5 turnovers tonight and took a lot of really ill-advised shots.

I think Jackson getting tossed may actually have helped them, because THEY had to go smallball and just run it most of the game. That, coupled with some really bad officiating, left the door to this one wide open. I think there were at least 8-9 offensive fouls called tonight.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Even with Jackson, the Warriors were shorthanded, as they had only 8 active players on the roster. Warriors deserve all the credit for this win with only 7 players.

Jackson getting tosses is irrelevant to what Les BouleS had to do to win this game. Poor excuse. Les BouleS knew the Heat got blown out tonight, and could have pulled ahead by 1.5 games, but we all know what happened.

The good thing is AAA isn't old enough to see Les Boules lose, although I'm sure Gilby had a lot of his family in the stands.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Great points DC! Although just looking at the box score, Darius pulled down 6... in 31 minutes! Blatche had 7 in 16. You do the math. Gack, your wrong about this not being a winnable game. Let me throw out some numbers that really matter. Between our so called centers (Haywood, Thomas,Booth and Ruffin), they played a TOTAL of 39 minutes. Andris Biedrins play 46! He had 26 pts, 12 rbs, and 5 ast. Our centers gave us 17 pts, 4 rbs, and 2 ast. 4 grown ass men was outplayed by one average center. And you know why? Because his coach let him play. If Eddie would've kept Brendan in, we'd be talking about an exciting win instead of a frustrating loss! Nobody was in any foul trouble so he has no excuse! And for the life of me, what does he have against playing Andray? in 16 minutes, he gave us 10 pts, 7 rbs, 1 ast, 1 blk, and 2 stl. Ruffin play 6 minutes and had 1 foul and 1 board. I don't care if he did make a play the other night, he is worthless! I'm sick of people saying he "does more that doesn't make it to the stat sheet". Hell, give me 10 pts and 7 boards over 2 fouls and a hard screen ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. And the worst part of it all is when Caron gets back, guess who's gonna be sitting at the end of the bench in a suit? It ain't gonna be Michael " I'm really Charles Jones" Ruffin. If i'm Ernie Grunfield, I got to be thinking to myself, "This man plays a guy who does NOTHING offensively, and very little defensively instead of a 6'11 guy who can score, rebound, block shots and handle the rock?" I said it before and I'll say it again, Eddie Jordan is in trouble. Damn the contract extension. Its been proven in the past that a team will buy you out if the right coach (Mike Fratello?) comes along!

Posted by: C.Bell | March 24, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Anyway George, it sounds like you weren't able to watch the game, shame because it was really entertaining -- there were some great circus shots on both sides. Hell, I even saw Cal Booth toss a statue of liberty flip pass to a backdoor cutting D-Song who put in a nice reverse layup.

Shame 'Twan got into foul trouble early (charging x2, I think), he was on fire in the first quarter and had to sit for a long time, when he came back in, he seemed to have cooled.

Bulletproof had a great game. He plays above the rim and tipped at least 3 misses back in. Made one big mistake on a steal he grabbed and tried to go to the rack rather than dish to a wide-open BTH, but he got fouled and redeemed it by sinking two FT's.

In general, it seems like guys are doing a better job of dealing with traps and doubleteams now, well, except D-Steve tonight, he got killed. He did have a pretty shocking facial dunk on that goofball Biedrins.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Let me state categorically that the presence of BTH would not have mattered one bit, C.Bell.

Biedrins made a living off of us because he's a sneaky little bastard who squats just off the center's radar and waits for a driving guard to draw the center, then he gets a dish and dunks. Rinse repeat.

Problem with this is, we don't play team defense. You can put BTH in there all night long, all he's going to do is step out to stop the cutter, then foul Biedris.

We just don't match up well with teams who move the ball well because we don't play defense.

I do agree with you that Bulletproof might as well be playing the entire game. He's the only guy on the floor who has a snowball's chance in hell in tipping in a miss, and he shows that every single night. If we could get some meat on his bones in the offseason and teach him some 6th grade box-out techniques, he'd be scary effective, I think.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

True, we don't play team defense. But (and trust me, I hate to admit it) when Brendan is in, there is defense played. Or at the least, he makes you change your shot. But where Biedrins succeeded is when Brendan went out. The Wiz were playing a good zone defense on them tonight. If you recall, Monta Ellis did most of his damage driving. With Brendan (or any effective rebounder) in the middle, he at least makes you think twice and is big enough to put a body on someone. Haven't looked it up but i'm sure we got killed on second chance points. And why? Smallball Baby! I'm not going against anything you're saying Gack... the point i'm trying to get across is that this team has the potential to be great and they are wasting away under the "Eddie Jordan Regime". The Wiz can beat ANY team that doesn't have the words Heat written on their jersey. Nobody in the East wants to play them (especially Detroit who, honestly, I think we could beat in 5. Regardless of home court advantage). But nobody "fears" them or respects them for that matter because they know that (and by they I mean opposing coaches) eventually, Eddie Jordan will blow the game and pray that Gil (not Gilby) will bail his ass out yet again!! So please forgive my negativity, but from now on...Eddie get blamed for EVERY loss!

Posted by: C.Bell | March 24, 2007 2:23 AM | Report abuse

I saw and/or listened to most of the 4th quarter. And I was just frustrated by all the drives to the rim Golden State got and the results. I think Haywood should play more, but I also think Gack is right and that it might not have made any difference because of the lack of anything on the defensive end. I hate to admit when I heard Arvis mentioned for the first time when I got in my car after work my first thought was "Damn, I thought his sprained foot would keep him out another game."

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Actually the comment at 2:24 was me not Gack

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Ok, If not Brendan then somebody!! That man has 2 legit 7 footers, a 6'11 freakish athlete who seems to have a knack for getting rebounds in a crowd, and a fiery 6'9 center (Etan) who plays hard all the time. He has no clue whatsoever as far as managing a game is concerned. Eddie is the Norv Turner of Basketball. Everywhere Norv has been he built an offense. But put in charge and he's clueless. Same with Eddie. Great offensive mind but doesn't have what it takes to head coach. We need a strong personality coaching this team. I'd love to see Big John or Lil' John coach the Wiz!

Posted by: C.Bell | March 24, 2007 2:40 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and actually sat right in front of Ivan Carter. I had one conclusive observation when I left Oakland...

Eddie Jordan was painfully bad tonight. Not only were his player rotations particularly bad tonight, his X's and O's were even worse.

I'd say that Don Nelson took Eddie Jordan to school...but that would be giving too much credit to Nelson. Jordan's defensive gameplan is what led to GS putting up huge numbers. That and refusing to play our 2 best defensive bigmen.......errr even though they are also our 2 best offensive bigmen.

Posted by: JJ | March 24, 2007 4:59 AM | Report abuse

Michael Ruffin:
5.7 minutes, -14 in +/-.

Ballgame.

Posted by: Joe | March 24, 2007 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Well yesterday was a day filled with multible posts I didn't make. Just got up this morning to see what I posted in my sleep last night. I see I was queit but our friend appers to have been busy else where.
Ever since his days at Milwaukee Don Nelson has been the master of Quirky line ups. The NBA has never been a league where coaches make their impact calling plays as much as they do managing to get favorable matchups for their team.
Last night on an evening that the officiating crew somehow missed the game, Don Nelson managed to create matchup nightmares for the Wizards. Jamison trying to chase Richardson around, Stevenson on Ellis. For a game that got ratched up to a track meet pace not the kind of matchups we wanted.
Well on to LA, but at least the Pacers helped us out.

Posted by: GM | March 24, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Generally I hate "smallball" as much as the next person. But when you get beat by a much quicker team that moves the ball around much better, I'm not sure how the loss can be blamed on "smallball." Especially when you're beating them on the boards the whole night.

GS was overplaying on D the whole night, and the Wiz did nothing to make them pay for it. At the other end the Wiz were giving GS's best shooters all the room in the world to shoot, letting them get into and stay in a great comfort zone.

Posted by: Mitch | March 24, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

SWADAGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the club oldie, as I of course didn't make this stupid posting and put my name on it:

---------------------------------------------
I am hating Gilbert Nazi & I am gay.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 12:54 AM
---------------------------------------------

In any regard, BTH should have had MUCH MORE PT. Did anyone see his fallaway jumper early in the game? That was sweet. Him only playing 18 minutes is a crime. BTH was right early in the season for complaining about his lack of minutes.

Also, there was absolutely no reason why Blatche was not in the game more also. Either he or BTH are the only big and long longs that we have that can play D, and be an offensive threat, as BTH can at least keep the defense honest. Blatche was everywhere.

Biedren torched us. I don't give a crap how little respect any idiots here give him. He's 6-11, and maybe 190 lbs, and he had free access to the basket all night. Not once was he hammered. Gilby was too busy trying to match Baron and Monta in scoring to play any D by stopping his own man.

The funny thing was Gilby had a friggen' deer in the headlights look on his face all night. The only focus on his mind is get the ball and shoot, not what they have to do as a team. Rallying the troops.

The only guy with any cajones was Songaila, who mixed it up. As much hype that Ruffin gets on this blog, Ruffin is not a physical guy. He's not going to lay the pine on anyone. He's going to hustle and try to be tough, but he's not physical. The look o his face is as if he has no fire in his belly whatsoever.

Don't know if anyone cares, but the Clippers (33-36) smashed the Jazz (44-24)
last night also, by 32, without Sam Cassell (out as a game time decision). So with our luck, we're going to play a confident Clippers team, and then play a Jazz team that's probably getting their @sses ripped by Jerry Sloan right now. Not good timing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Les BouleS got beaten in their own game last night. A helter skelter, fast paced, up and down, long bomb, little D type of game. 72-64 in favor of Les BouleS at the half!!!!!!!

Problem was that the Warriors had so much more pin point passing. Many times, Baron drove to the hole, drew the D, only to dish off the Biedrens who was cutting. There was one play where Monta did a quick change of direction and drove straight to the hole and left Arenas or DS flatfooted at the free throw line arc.

EJ, who said he was going to shrink the roster, ended up playing everyone! Nellie though, had a gameplan, and even with the loss of Stephen Jackson, only played 7. Even Sarunas Jasikevicius didn't get any PT, and he was a starter for the Pacers and European League god.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Bell -- yeah, I think we are saying the same things, really -- the way this team is coached and what it's been taught to do up until now aren't really compatible with stopping a team like GS was last night.

It wasn't individual performances that undid us at all, IMO. You can say, "well, we needed to play perfect ball", but really, other than the turnovers (and GS had nearly as many as we did), we played a very good OFFENSIVE game. Probably one of the best all year.

Nor was it poor team play, as evidenced by the outstanding assist numbers, fast break points, and, what, seven guys in double figures?

No, this one was squarely about matchups and coaching philosophy, and one team being just a couple degrees more searing than the other. I don't usually hang losses on EJ, but I'm on Ray's team for this one ;)

Great game to watch, though. Lots of great play on both sides. Bench play was HUGE, which was a good sign for the playoffs.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Arenas is crazy. All he wants is attention, Great scorer, Zero D and does not know how to deal with attention. The Dude is a ZERO leader, tells his coach that defense is ZERO important, jumps of trampolines....he is a JOKE. Comparing him to Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Carmelo....is laughable. The guy got made mental issues and had to pay for people to come to his birthday party. Wow. Get Arenas out of the discussion, the cat will never even sniff the finals

Posted by: GIL ZERO DEFENSE | March 24, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Good point, because LeTravel and marsh-Melo are doing so much with their respective clubs as well.

Nobody can argue against Kobe and D-Wade. The rest of the NBA poster children are a product of superior marketing, and nothing else.

Watch as Greg Oden and Kevin Durant come into the league next year with more marketing hype than you can shake a stick at. Welcome to the hypocrisy that is the NBA.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to say you are right about one thing, dude *IS* crazy.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Here's Les BouleS bad losses and the opponent's record for that month since January:

Jan
Toronto (15-19)
NO (14-22)

Feb
Portland (22-34)
Minn (26-30)
New Jersey (28-30)

March
Atlanta (23-39)
New York (29-34)
Portland (27-40)
Golden State (33-37)

What a great way to prepare for the playoffs! Les BouleS better win the rest of this road trip's games.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Gil isn't crazy, any more than LeBravo is. These guys just realize that America is all about self-promotion. If the team thing helps with self-promotion, fine; if you can create and market your own "brand" without the team winning, all the better.

Basically the team thing is for saps and Europeans.

Posted by: Mitch | March 24, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Pitiful job by Eddie. How does Haywood,Blatche and Stevenson all not play a single minute in the 4th quarter?! The only 3 guys on the team that play defense/rebound. No, Eddie has to have a lineup of Mason,Daniels,Songailia,Ruffin and Booth for the first 5 minutes of the 4th!?

Posted by: bababooey | March 24, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn deserved to sit, he was out of control and caused several of the turnovers in the 3rd that led directly to easy buckets by GS. Plus, he was chucking crazy shots up whenever he *didn't* turn it over.

I guess BTH was sitting because, well, he never plays in the 4th (don't ask me why!) but even if he had been in, I don't think he could have been effective, it was back and forth the whole time.

No clue why Bulletproof wasn't in there in the 4th. I don't understand what EJ's trying to prove by sitting this kid as much as he does.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Ray, sorry bro, gotta disagree with you for once... Wilt was MUCH better than Shaq. No comparison. Wilt was VERY strong, an awesome shot blocker, and for his size and strength amazingly graceful. Think Hakeem but about 3 inches taller with more of a power game. The best ever to play NBA, IMO better than MJ.

He could stop Shaq, but Shaq could not stop him. Wilt was a dominant shot blocker, could out jump Shaq and he'd be too quick. And he could hold his own against him strength wise and on the glass. But like you said, it's just my opinion. :)

Posted by: Darnell | March 24, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I've got to agree with GM (GM, I hope the post I'm referring to really was yours!) and Darnell on the question of Wilt vs. Shaq. Wilt dominated in a way no one has since. Even Russell couldn't stop him, only contain him (which usually would translate to like 30 points and 20 boards). And Wilt was more versatile them people tend to remember. The dude averaged 50 pts for a season and then turned around a led the league in assists. Can you imagine a center who could lead the league in assists today?

Darnell. While agree with you overall, I don't think you can compare Wilt to Hakeem. Two completely different types of Centers. I loved Hakeem's game because he could post up, but also could take it out to the perimeter. The guy's turn-around J was unbelieveable. However, he couldn't dominate the way Wilt could, or Shaq can today...

Posted by: PK1 | March 24, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it doesn;t matter to them, but I hope the Wizards know that Miami Heat LOST AGAIN! How about taking advantage of it this time and solving the stinking Clippers in the Staples Center!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope the BTH Lovers are watching tonight, because The Poet is eating Brendan's lunch so far. Etan has been a rebounding machine and has flushed every pass sent his way, meanwhile Haywood keeps bobbling passes and I just watched him completely blow his assignment on a double-team, leaving Brand wide open for a snowbird.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Another busted defensive play and Brendan is standing around near the top of the key looking lost. Why in the world does he come up and "help" defensively, which leaves him woefully out of position to stop a shot or even get a rebound?

Is that Brendan freelancing or does Eddie actually coach him to do that? It's insane! He's way too slow to be more than two steps away from the lane.

Bulletproof is having another huge game. He snatched a board with authority right out of some Clip's hands (I think it was Maggette?). It's really cool to watch this kid get better literally each game.

Posted by: Gack | March 24, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

It would be even cooler to see Blatche get left in more often.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, he may be bulletproof, but apparently he's not left-knee proof. The left-knee curse strikes again, Dray leaves the game after going down on a very vertical rebound. He returned to shoot the FT's, then left, no report yet.

Losing him would be very, very bad for this team.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Blatche "tweaked" his knee and should return, according to CSN.

Just watched AD completely blow his defensive assignment on back-to-back possessions, leaving guys wide open (AD's at least 4 feet away) for 5 free points. You could hear EJ screaming "GO GO GO AD". Thankfully he made up for it in between the two botched defensive stands by hoisting up a brick from behind the arc, way outside of his range.

My god we have got some problems on this team. Anybody who thinks they start with Gilbert isn't looking very hard.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Correction. Blatche with a right knee sprain, will not return.

This game, barring a miracle, is over, chalk up another loss.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

The biggest problem right now (not long term) is not having Butler. We need his edge and toughness and that is what the loss to Golden State and the likely loss here shows. I mean some of those rebounds the Wizards aren't getting he would get. And losing Blatche just stinks. And I hate to rip on Songaila, but WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING COVERING KAMAN!!?!?!?!?!?!! That doesn't make any damn sense!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 25, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Good God to add injury to insult, Jamison hurts his knee again. I am starting to wonder if the basketball fates have it in for the Wizards!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 25, 2007 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh, good! Now Jamison goes down with a knee injury. FAAAAAAN-TASTIC!

Good games by The Poet and Bulletproof. Nice passing and shooting from D-Song. Gil had a standard Gil game, shot pretty poorly but kept the team in it late with drives to the rack.

For a soft outside shooting team, we sure have a lack of deadly, reliable shooters.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

BACKBREAKKKKKKKERRRRRR!!!!!

I actually thought Buckhantz jumped the gun a bit when the Clips went up by 6 with 1:30 left on the clock after Maggette's 20 ft. J, but Buckhantz's proclamation came true.

The blame clearly starts with Arenas as he's the PG and he's responsible for making sure the Princeton offense is running, nevermind that his shot was off tonight. If no one is getting their touches, then the offense falters (BTH 0-3) Anyone denying this is a fool.

Jarvis was hitting clutch J's tonight also, and anyone claiming his demise doesn't know basketball. A player coming off multiple injuries takes time to heal and get into a rhythm, especially since he doesn't start. Anyone wanting to use the Caron excuse for losing is smoking something because the Clips were missing both Sam Cassell, and Shaun Livingston. Anybody want to bring Blatche's tweaking of his knee is reaching also, as the Clips were up when Blatche left.

Stats wise, both teams played each other pretty much even. Biggest thing that stuck out was both Jamison and Gilby couldn't hit the side of the barn from long distance. Team shot 42%, and 22% from 3.

AJ: 8-22, 1-7 from 3
Gilby: 9-25, 1-8 from 3
DS: 2-6

All in all, a pretty sorry homecoming for both Gilby and Deshawn, losing to a 34-36 team.

Anyone getting giddy about the Heat's 2 consecutive losses shouldn't just factor in Dwade's absence, but Mourning has missed these past two games b/c of his knee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry everyone, but after watching tonight I feel you can stick a fork in the Wizards because they are done.

Blatche and Jamsion both hurt thier knees, and no Caron.

Regardless this team makes WAY too many mental mistakes. At this point I really think if the playoffs started today they would be out in the first round.

This team has no focus or sense of urgency what so ever. You can't blame Jordan for the injuries, but you certainly can for the mistakes.

I know how you feel Lisa, but back when the Wiz were hot over the winter we could all see this coming and it's why we weren't holding our breath.

It doesn't look too good right now.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 1:18 AM | Report abuse

damn Ray you are a great fan....wiz raptors will face off in the first round

Posted by: dc | March 25, 2007 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Arenas drove to the hoop with a little over a minute to play and Kamen shoved him with one hand and got him with the elbow to the forehead and no call! 32.4 seconds left and a complete phantom foul on Stevenson to put the Clippers up by 6 again, unbeleiveable! At least if we're going to stay up to 1am to watch a game the officials could watch it too.
Second night in a row, really weird calls, last night's crew let the game get so rough they nearly lost control. I thought that we were just a hair away from a fight when Songalia shooved Baron Davis in the back.
Not good news at all seeing Blatch and Jamison both leave the court with their left knees hurt. Doesn't seem like we can get everybody healthy. I'm afraid that Jamison may have some kind of recurring problem, hope he can rebound from this. Hope Blatch is ok, the kid looks better every game. Hope an injury doesn't set him back, we need that kid.
One more thing about last night's game at Golden State, since the 70's when he was wearing leasure suits, Don Nelson has been the master of Quirky lineups to create mismatches on the court. I think Gack said earlier Jackson's getting pitched may have worked in his favor. He ended up with Baron Davis, Ellis and Richardson all on the floor.
Jamison chasing Richardson, Stevenson trying to keep with Ellis, at that pace they were just too quick. I'm sure old Donnie will be telling everybody he had it all planned that way.
Two tough losses, shame we couldn't expand our lead on the Heat. Haven't had a chance to watch them play, been following the NCAA's, am wondering if Shaq maybe wearing down having to carry the load every night?
One more point about the Wilt vs Shaq debate. Wilt was apparently was a world class athlete that was 7' something. A legendary Vollyballer by day, well you know by night, highjumper, boxer, at one point was talking about training for the decathalon. And a worldclass Water Polo player, somehow I just can't see Shaq in a pool!
In short Wilt was a legendary athlete as well as maybe the greatest basketball player ever. But, I'm not one who is big on trying to compare guys from different eras and to declare anyone besides Ali the greatest of all time(H'mm, self promotion? I thought that was something these young NBA ballers just invented). I think for Shaq that it's a shame that for much of his career he hasn't had an epic matchup like Wilt/Russell, or later later Wilt/Jabber.
I think that many of the all time greats have raised the level of their games because of the level of the competition they've had to matchup against. I think that it's hurt Shaq that there wasn't a guy in the league at the five to really push him and force him to work hard to improve to stay on top.

Posted by: GM | March 25, 2007 2:07 AM | Report abuse

"damn Ray you are a great fan....wiz raptors will face off in the first round"

I am a good fan and have watched the Wiz/Bullets for many, many, years but I'm not going to sugar coat it either. Just tired of making excuses as a fan for a team that won't try and help themselves.

They make so many mental errors during a game and can't play a lick of defense to save thier lives. It's frustrating to watch. The problem is they haven't learned how to "win" a game yet. That's what seperates a good team from a mediocre one. Regardless of injuries Jordan isn't putting his players in a position to do just that. If anything he's putting players in a position to lose.

A team takes on the identity of their coach and I think Jordan has taken the Wizards as far as they can go.

Like the Redskins, the Wizards have a ton of talent on thier roster but they lose games they should be winning. The playoffs are just around the corner they better figure it out fast because if they do face Toronto or Miami they will lose in the first round.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Today we got beat in the third period, yesterday we got beat in the third period and that's where the games are won."

Ok, lets take this up a notch.

This is Gil's comment following the loss. Games ARE NOT won in the third period, they are won in the last couple minutes of the 4th period where players step up and coaches coach.

Someone needs to tell Gil this because it's certainly not Jordan.

Just because the Wizards come out flat every night leading after the half and thinking they've already won the game doesn't mean the game is won in the 3rd.

If you've ever watched a game where Hubie Brown is announcing a Wizards game you can listen to everything he says and take it to heart because that guy knows the game very well. He always says "Give the Wizards a few minutes and they will let you back in the game."

Mentally this team is a mess, sorry but that is coaching.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Blaming the refs calls is an age old excuse. The very next day, it doesn't matter anymore, because what matters is whether it was a won or a loss. Did people here complain when Gilby unfairly got that phantom call in Golden State after time expired? People want home cooking on the road? I don't think so.

In any regard, Division leaders such as Les BouleS should be blowing these below .500 chumps out, especially since they are missing superstars or key players, not trying to hang around at the end for desperation Agent Zero heroics. Also, blaming anyone besides the team superstars is ludicrous. If Agent Gilby wants to be the face of this f'n franchise, then the team's success, and lack there of, lies clearly on his shoulders.

If the Cavs get blown out, do you think people will blame LeBron or David Wesley for missing a few J's? If the Lakers lose, people blame Kobe, or do they blame Turiaf?

I was surprised when watching Full Court Press that David Dupree said as Les BouleS are now, they will never win anything if the Cavs still have Lebron, if the Heat still have Dwade, or if Detroit still has the team that they have, despite Les BouleS having a great record against them. Now, I'm not so surprised. Let's not even talk about the Bulls. If Les BouleS don't beat the Jazz, we'll have consider breaking out the "choking dogs" label.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

There is a degree of truth to what Gilbert said about the third quarter in this sense.
You can't come out the halftime locker room flat and twice in a row (and I am sure several other times this season). How many times have they played a good first half and then stunk the joint out after halftime.
What that does say (unfortunately), is that coach Jordan is getting outcoached because either the other team is making adjustments and he isn't or coach Jordan is allowing the players to get too satisfied at halftime and not coming out with the fire needed to maintain or expand that lead.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 25, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ray, I'm sorry but you're wrong re: the 3rd quarter thing. Statistically speaking, the first quarter score differential has the highest correlation to game W-L, with the 3rd quarter score differential being the 2nd strongest correlation. Saw this on NBA.com a few months back, it was an interesting article with lots of number-crunching.

I also have to disagree with the 'Skins comparison because while we do have talent, I don't think many of our players are as good as we think they are. Or at best, they are poor fits for the kind of offense EJ is trying to run.

There's no question Gil, Caron, and Antawn are solid players. It's well-established, though, that Gil and AJ are both mediocre defenders at best and liabilities at worst (though I will say Gilbert looked a lot more active and in position last night than I've seen in a long time).

Songaila is coming along and does seem to be a really solid player. His passing instincts are dead-on most of the time and his shot is one of the few on the team that looks like it's good every time he takes one, and he's got fantastic range.

Blatche has a boatload of potential and as I've been saying a lot lately, he is the only guy on the team who can play above the rim.

After that, we've got a big mess. We're a run-and-gun jump-shooting team with a bunch of unreliable streaky chuckers. Arvis has had one good game and last night was okay, but in general he's still WAY too unreliable with his shot.

Stevenson has started to think he's a shooter for some reason and has been putting up some horrid shots as of late. Mason has reverted to his namesake.

Down low, we've got a mess of guys who are all serviceable at best, horrible at worst. None really defend well, and though Etan and BTH can both score 10 a game if they get the minutes, you're never going to get a 20 and 10 game out of one of these guys, ever. And neither is comfortable enough with the ball to be a distributor and set up the inside-outside game.

For me the most telling thing is that, beyond the "big 3", most of this team are really streaky shooters and cannot hit open jumpers. Watch any Wizards opponent and I guarantee you're going to see at least 2-3 guys you've never heard of hitting wide open treys multiple times a game.

Meanwhile our guys can't hit their open 3's when they do get open, which is rare because we don't move the ball well anyway.

I'm coming around on the "it's EJ's problem" camp at this point, not because of "Smallball", but because this team doesn't run a gameplan that suits the makeup of the team at all. Because fundamentals like box-outs and ball movement aren't really coached (and no, throwing it around the perimeter doesn't count guys), and because we're like 3 games better than we were this time last season.

Our only real hope in the playoffs, I think, is to ride the Big 3 (assuming they can limp their collective way onto the court) and hope for heroics. Fundamentals are out the window with this squad.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Ray, I'm sorry but you're wrong re: the 3rd quarter thing."

Right, for the Wizards. The think they have the game won after two quarters.

Now tell me how many more games have been lost by this team late in the fourth either by a coaches substitution, someone looking for a call and not getting it, or a lack of defense?

If you're under 10 points and under 8 minutes left in the game, you should be able to win that game. Realistically speaking unless the game is a total blow out teams should be able to go on a run and get some stops and win the game.

This team doesn't know how to stop anyone and the turnovers are going up.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"It's funny to me how other teams can come back and win against the Wiz when down in the 3rd going into the 4th but the Wiz can't?"

Well, right *now* that's certainly (mostly) true, but you do seem to be forgetting a large number of amazing 4th quarter comebacks we pulled off earlier in the season.

"That's not good enough anymore, there's only a dozen games left and all I'm hearing are excuses."

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was the same no one that keeps posting in other people's names. He struck again and used DCman88's name and went on for days about that call.

Posted by: GM | March 25, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz perform the way they are coached,poorly.They play no defense and play far too much one on one.They take too many wild and crazy shots to be successful on a regular basis.That's coaching or a lack thereof .All teams have injuries and continue to play hard nose team ball. It's time for folks to stop talking about Caron being absent.Before Caron went down THey did not play defense,gave up open shots on a regular,did not hustle for loose balls,took crazy shots rather than pass to an open team mate,and still played down to the competition.I have been a fan since the 60's but have never seen a Wiz/Bullets team with this much talent play so poorly and the coach make statements like ""the guys played hard we just didn't get it done tonight ".EJ your job is to get the team ready to get it done every night.Please coach and show your worth.This team is under achieving and that is a coaching problem.

Posted by: ron | March 25, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

That was not my post earlier about "Kobe being the man" - maybe there is another Lisa but it was probably somebody posting under my name.

DC Dude, this is for you - since you keep insisting that Jordan and the team do not like Gilbert.....from the LA Daily News:

Gil's comments about not scoring 50:
"I don't think people care most of the time if I'm really going to do it. They just want to hear it. ... At the end of the day, David Stern wants to put people in the seats. And somehow I'm helping him."

His teammates shake their heads and laugh when he says things like this. His coach Eddie Jordan smiles, shrugs his shoulders and then talks about something he calls "Gilbertology."

But you can tell they love it.

"His teammates love him," Jordan said. "They respect him. ... This a game where people have a lot of individual incentives, they have their own bodyguards, there's this cool, hip-hop image. So for him to come in, act like a kid, say he's going to score 50, go jump off a trampoline (at the All-Star Game) and still be able to go for 45 in an NBA game and hit a game-winning shot, that's great.

"It's refreshing, isn't it?"

But then again, that must be wrong because DC Dude KNOWS EVERYTHING.

Posted by: Lisa | March 25, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Lisa -- don't waste your time, just stop feeding the troll.

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know who's making excuses or what it is you want to hear, other than that EJ has been fired?"

Nevermind.

It's the third quarters fault, not the Wiz's. They don't play any other minutes in basketball except the 3rd quarter.

Forget that I even brought it up.

"Arenas later elaborated on his nba.com blog, saying that he made $10 bets with two fans during the game and had obtained their e-mail addresses so that he could pay them off."

Wow, what a dumb thing Gil did there. He's lucky he wasn't suspended for that.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Ray, I heard on the news tonight that Gil has been fined for that bet.

Posted by: Lisa | March 25, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Susan O'Malley (ska Lisa), I never said EJ or his teammates hated him. So, tell me then, how do you interpret the quotes that I copied from the Washington Post? How do you explain these?

Clearly, the quotes indicate their frustration with Gilby's antics, which have made it harder for his teammates, as the opposition has extra incentive to beat them, and that Gilby needs to listen to the coach and not go off on his own agenda. Frustration does not equate to hate, but as you well now know, this team needs any edge they can get to beat any and all teams out there, and the last thing they need is a loudmouth teammate making their jobs that much harder.

How many times has a loudmouth teammate been told to shut his yap to avoid having locker room chalkboard material? He's lucky he's talking to the media, because any other coach out there with championship pedigree would have put the kibosh on this shiznit from the getgo.

"Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan was clearly annoyed by the distraction created by Arenas's mostly playful prediction saying: "It affected how they played. Defensively, they double teamed him and switched off on him. I think it really jacked them up twice to play to us. I don't know how it affected Gilbert, you'll have to ask him that but it really jacked them up.""

"Butler said the Wizards just need to play with the necessary energy to get through the grueling stretch ahead. "If we play 48 minutes with no drop-offs and keep playing good team basketball -- and nobody's trying to be a hero and go out there and do it on their own -- we'll be fine," Butler said. "We've got to trust the system Coach put us in and we'll be all right.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Finally, someone told him to quit it....just stop it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how some geniuses here first blame Jarvis, but when he's not playing, they still lose, and when he's hitting his shots like against the Clippers, they still lose. Time to stop blaming the benchwarmers and start blaming the faces of the franchise. Also, you can't blame EJ for not coaching Defense if you admit that two of your star players suck on defense. That doesn't exonerate them from playing D.

Also, you have to be devoid of a brain to think Les BouleS staging comebacks against sub .500 teams is positive. Les BouleS should be crushing these guys, or should we admit that if Les BouleS were in the West, they probably wouldn't be in the playoffs. Better just ignore this troll, because it's the smart thing to do, as you sure as heck don't have any valid counter arguments. Know your role boy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Ray, I don't know what you're getting so upset about re: the 3rd Quarter thing. It's not a guarantee, but statistically speaking, teams who perform poorly in the 1st or 3rd quarter win fewer games than those that perform well.

That doesn't mean Gilbert's quote was accurate, it just means that it's important to play well in those quarters, and we haven't lately.

I'm surprised this is so controversial, this is a pretty basic concept in, say, football. Momentum is a real fickle mistress and coaches always stress the importance of establishing a rhythm and getting into "the flow" at the beginning of a half...

Posted by: Gack | March 25, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, No one complained after Gilbert got a phantom foul against Golden State at the buzzer? Amazing!!!!!

Posted by: GM | March 25, 2007 03:17 PM "

I think old age is getting into your brain Abe. What was meant was no one on the Les BouleS team complained to Tony Brothers that his phantom call favoring Agent Gilby after time expired should be taken back. As Ivan said, AJ had a huge smile on his face because he knew he had home cookin'.

Therefore, Gilby and DS shouldn't be surprised, or complain, that Golden State got some home cookin' too. It all evens out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 25, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | March 25, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Ray, the Wiz 3rd quarter woes is reminiscent of the Redskins. All season long the Skins were pretty darn ineffective in the 3rd quarter. Actually, truth be told they were pretty darn ineffective the entire season - in every quarter = but particularly the 3rd.

Posted by: Lisa | March 25, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"Ray, the Wiz 3rd quarter woes is reminiscent of the Redskins."

Yeah I know Lisa, pretty scary isn't it? :)

"Ray, I don't know what you're getting so upset about re: the 3rd Quarter thing."

It's not that Gack, I'm just frustrated as a fan right now is all. You have to play 4 full quarters and the Wiz just don't do that regardless of what quarter it is. They lack any kind of focus right now and it shows in thier play.

I have a feeling this time next year people will be calling for Jordan's job. We watch the Wiz pretty much every game so there's things we can see that maybe the casual fan does not.

I don't know if they are any better this year then they were last year. It looked like they turned the corner over the holidays then regressed.

Looking back there's a lot of games this year the Wiz could have won that they didn't and it didn't have to be that way. The don't play defense, they turn the ball over more now.

I truly hope they win in the playoffs and I will be watching every minute, but I'm discouraged instead of encouraged right now.

Maybe they will get hot in the playoffs, but if they have to start with Miami they aren't going to get past the first round.

Now there's this betting thing with Gil and all of the publicity that will most likely go with it because of people like Charles Barkley, Pete Rose, and so forth.

It's a distraction and Gil should know better.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

You know I watched "Rocky Balboa" tonight. Maybe the Wiz should watch the original "Rocky" before every game.

Every time I've ever watched one of those movies I've always felt like I could kick anyones butt. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 25, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

"And your constant referral to them as "Les Boules" is sickening. Tony Kornheiser you ain't - and he did not spell it that way anyway - and has not said that in a long time.

Posted by: Lisa | March 25, 2007 10:42 PM "

I'm glad you're clever enough to pick that up. I'm not Tony K., which is why I SPECIFICALLY make it a point to mispell "Les BouleS." I've been reading the Post for awhile, when Tony K. used to use it regularly, so I KNOW THAT IT'S SPELLED 'LES BOULEZ' by Tony K., even though some dumbarse on this blog, who keeps using my name, keeps hounding me about it. I don't give a crap how it's spelled, so I keep doing it.

If Les BouleS keeping playing the way they're playing (losing to 3 sub .500 teams in THIS away series alone, in unspectacular fashion) I'd imagine Tony K. would break it out soon as he's been off and on Full Court Press.

"DCDude, you basically DID say that Eddie and the players disliked Gil....and that quote from Caron (I read all the newspapers so have read that before) never mentioned Gil by name...for all YOU know he could have been referring to your man Jarvis."

Susan, I didn't say they disliked Gilby. I can't be responsible for what you assume (ie. "basically DID say"). But, what do you think EJ and Caron implied from their Washington Post quotes?

If Caron is saying someone should "stop trying to act like a hero, and going out there and doing it on their own," do you think Caron was referring to Michael Ruffin or Donnell Taylor or Gilbert Arenas? Who's the face of this franchise? Who takes the most shots in each game? Who's got the highest scoring average on the team? Surely you jest.

Caron said that the hero wannabe should listen to the coach. Don't you recall that right before Caron made the statement, Gilby came out and said he had a bad game because EJ wanted him to focus on Defense b/c AJ was out?!?! Surely, your memory can't be that bad, or maybe your apologist attitude refuses to let you consider anything that's counter to your pipe dream that this has been a perfect season and will end in championship glory.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 7:05 AM | Report abuse

"It's a distraction and Gil should know better.

- Ray"

C'mon Ray, it's just Gilby being Gilby. Leave him alone! All jokes aside, if Gilby knew better, then none of this season's drama would have unfolded, and the team would be focused.

The players on this team follow Gilby's lead because he dictates the game's tempo, whether Jamison is the leader or not, and if Gilby stepped up and followed EJ's (ie. the coach's gameplan) leadership, then the rest would follow. By him being so loosey goosey, then that's room for the other players to slack off.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Can't remember if it was Micheal or Ivan that said after the Caron qoute that keeps getting refered to as a sign of team dis-unity, that Caron was talking about himself in the third person.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

It would be surprising, and unlikely, that Caron was referring to himself in the third person, because he's never taken the number of shots, or drawn as much unnecessary attention that some other diva on this team has. Caron made that quote first game after coming back from an injury and losing to the Hawks 100-97 where he shot 9-16 for 19 pts, 11 rebs. Gilby was 2-9 from 3 in that game, while Caron had a decent, steady game.

Even if he did, he was probably was referring to himself in third person, to be sarcastic. Who knows? Read the quote and take it as it is, as the article itself never mentions anything about 3rd person as Michael ended his article with that quote.

"For all of the things I read here about this team hating each other or one person, I've never seen anything anywhere about the Wizards players not getting along. If anything to me it appears sometimes they enjoy each other's company too much.
But as far as locker room conflicts, this site is the only place that I've even heard a sniff of such a thing. Maybe we have an Ace reporter here that is scooping every NBA beat reporter that covers the league. "

Locker room conflicts? Where have you been sniffing? Never heard of such a thing on this team eh? I guess you've been asleep all season, as Brendan Hawyoode and Etan Thomas has been in two brawls already. You must have slept through that eh Abe, after your warm glass of milk after dinner?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

GM, out of the kindess of my heart, in case you missed this drama while taking your napS throughout this season:

-------------------------------------------

According to one source with knowledge of the incident, yesterday's fight interrupted an otherwise normal practice and occurred in front of members of the Wizards' front office, including President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld.

"The entire situation doesn't make sense," said Thomas, whose minutes have fluctuated since he returned after missing 13 games with a sprained ankle. "I am trying to find my rhythm after missing a month with this ankle injury, trying to put together some decent games, feeling good to be a part of everything that the team is accomplishing, and this cat decides to hit me with a cheap shot during practice and I reacted. I could have turned the other cheek. I guess I didn't."

"San Antonio just beat us by what seemed like a hundred but I guess all that matters to him is he didn't get the minutes he thinks he deserves, so he's mad, which results in a displacement of anger," Thomas said. "What does he think, that throwing a cheap shot at me is going to keep him on the floor? Bottom line, I'm not putting up with any garbage from Brendan Todd Haywood, but at the same time, I do feel bad and upset with myself for allowing him to bait me."

Haywood and Thomas have had at least three brawls at practice in two years, resulting in a suspension for each. Thomas's current self-inflicted TKO will keep him out of tonight's game in Philadelphia. This battle between Washington's little big men seldom ends and barely has truces. The pair bad-mouth each other in public, give each other the cold shoulder during games, sit apart, avoid eye contact -- the whole kindergarten program.

-------------------------------------------

Supposedly, the first brawl this season resulted in BTH body slamming Etan Thomas. I guess it's Brendan's version of a Poetry Slam.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

In case you didn't get it, Abe (ska GM, ska Geriatric Man):

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Everybody in the world reported on the fight and every little thing around it. Etan and Brendan's dislike of each other has been written about and from every angle. And many of the bloggers here including myself have offered up opinions.
We only have one source for the Gilbert hate in the Wizard locker room. It's almost like we've got "Deep Throat" writing to this blog and giving us secert inside info that no one any where seems to have access to. It's as if there's some one hiding in the hamper with their dirty sweaty jock straps and towels and giving us the innermost secerts of the Wizards.
All the secerts of basketball, don't you just love it!

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, you old fool, everybody wrote about it until you conveniently forgot and attempted to write a convincing argument by forgetting it. Is your Alzheimers kicking in?

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 07:53 AM"

Your "ANYTHING AND ANYWHERE" diatribe is hilarious. Yea, Etan and BTH really enjoyed each other's company so much that they decided to invade each other's personal space.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Once again I never said Gilby's teamates hated Gilby. Don't make things up Abe. I said they were frustrated with his antics, but he's the face of the franchise who can get them cut, so what are they going to do? Whether you agree or disagree, it doesn't matter. I'm sure everyone can agree that they are on their heels right now and on a downward spiral.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I challenge you to FIND a quote and a corresponding link to where I said Gilby's teammates "hate" him. Go find it Abe, and get your accomplice Susan O'Malley (ska Lisa) to help you, since she's convinced herself that I did also. If you can find it, I'll recant it.

I for one though, provide backup with my writings:

"I've never seen anything anywhere about the Wizards players not getting along. If anything to me it appears sometimes they enjoy each other's company too much.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 07:53 AM "

Your verbage attempts to sound very convincing and absolute. Too bad it's factually flawed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe | March 26, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Can't give me that credit. Not only has someone been using my name to make most of the obscene posts, but the article doesn't say anything specifically about Wizards blog. You jumped the gun, my boy Joe. As I say and continue to say, I NEVER initiate anything offensive. The most offensive thing on this blog is the apologist attitude.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that has a job or runs a business wouldn't possibly have time to go back and review your endless writing or would even care too.
I'm sorry if I somehow I missinturpted your many long, long posts and just made up on my own that the point was that there was some inernal rift on the team and Butler and Jamison were sick of Arenas.
Then I'm sure that since I came with this all in my own then we can all agree that the problems with this team are not related to Gilbert's relationship with his teammates.
But you know, you did go on for days about that call at the end of the Golden State game at Verizon. It was only fair to point out that many games can swing one way or the other on a call down the stretch. Sometimes you get them sometimes you don't, that's something I learned a long time ago watching NBA Basketball.
That's why if you will notice I've never ranted about calls here and I won't. Until they perfect the "Robot Referees" this is what we've got.
Really don't have time to play with you anymore this morning. Kind of busy running a business. It sure would be nice if you could just make your points with out name calling, it would make your posts shorter and you might appear to be a little more mature and us old guys might take you a little more seriuosly.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Ray, I think you must be the only person on this blog not sqabbling and able to actually see the Wizards clearly - not thru rose colored glasses.

Eubie Brown is great to listen to during the games. He is objective for all teams. He usually says pretty much same things about Wiz. No Defense - not training & using Haywood right way, etc.(He has said he likes Brendan)players don't appear to be listening to coach.

Kobe is fantastic period - no question.
Regarding off-court issues there should be nothing said tho. He simply doesn't have MJ's PR machine.

For those unaware - MJ had and still has a PR machine that kept & still keep
his "off-court theatrics out of the media.

The ONLY way anyone knew about the mistress a few yrs ago? His angry wife released the info but his PR folks SHUT IT DOWN ASAP. Smothering it with $$$$$.

Its all about the $$$$. If his image gets stained..he loses millions & so do they.

He was no choir boy & neither was Barkley.

Can you imagine - MJ is GM for Bobcats but actually stays in Chicago - only visits NC periodically. Ever wonder why Bobcats floundering since he became GM?

The rest of this stuff on this blog makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Michael Lee wrote a very insightful and interesting article. Thanks Michael, I concur.

Posted by: Robin | March 26, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

That's my point exactly. Unless you read that I wrote "Gilby's teammates hate him," then don't accuse me of such a thing. There is way to much of this BS going on on this blog. I report what I see and provide stats, data, quotes, but then I get bashed b/c I'm not "gaga over Gilby." Ridiculous.

When Gilby got his "phantom call," I said it wasn't right, but eventually moved on after debating the legitimacy of the post buzzer foul. My point was that if the Wizards happily accept this gift from heaven, then they should also accept the gifts from hell. It all evens out. Apparently people on this blog were crying about no calls after the clippers game.

"It sure would be nice if you could just make your points with out name calling, it would make your posts shorter and you might appear to be a little more mature and us old guys might take you a little more seriuosly.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 11:02 AM "

Uh, that's fair, but what's also fair is that you don't practice what you're preaching to me right now. Case in point:

"It's almost like we've got "Deep Throat" writing to this blog and giving us secert inside info that no one any where seems to have access to. It's as if there's some one hiding in the hamper with their dirty sweaty jock straps..."

This was tasteless and uncalled for, which, if you noticed, I didn't bother responding with anything vulgar, although I could ahve.

I also I recall how you and Lisa made up this joke between you two about me living in my mother's basement, etc., etc....that's not called for either, nevermind me being called a troll, hater, etc....when people can't debate the facts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Go back and read my post real slow. Did I mention your name at all? I'm sorry the "Deep Throat" went right over your head.
This is a Washington Post Blog, "Deep Throat" was the informent that leaked the "dirty laundry" of Watergate to "Woodward and Bernstein" the Washington Post Reporters that broke the Watergate story.
There was no sexual content intended. I guess I should be careful in referencing things like the biggest news story of the 70's. I actually thought it was kind of clever being that I hadn't read a thing about this team rift anywhere else.
But anyway, I shouldn't have tried to make my point in a humorous way, my bad.
Now the exchange between Lisa and I about your living arrangements, the thing about you living in a basement actually came from one of your exchanges with another blogger. I made no mention of a basement, or I beleive there was something about you sitting in your underware, didn't mention that either.
Lisa said you were probably 19 after you had made a number of sexually explicit remarks to her, me and others here. I disagreed, said you were at least 25 because my younger help thinks that homophobics are so 90's as they say. I do think I added that someone couldn't get that plain mean in 19 yrs.
I'm not casting blame here, but I don't have a problem with anyone else on this blog, but you can't disagree with anyone without name calling, then you get all upset when people don't take you seriously or even try to be a little homorous with you.
I've got the point, you don't like Gilbert, I do. so leave it alone. Go back and read you posts for awhile. You can't let me post anything without getting into another round of name calling. Could you just give it a rest?
Like I said the Deep Throat was a joke about us getting an inside story by reading the Post. Sorry you're not old enough to get the connection. And by the way the whole "Deep Throat" Linda Lovelace thing was all cashing in on Watergate too.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

By the way I've never used troll. I have referenced your hatred of Gilbert which is really pretty evident to all.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't bothered by the Deep Throat reference, but the reference about the hamper and jock strap was out of line. As I said again, notice that I didn't respond with anything vulgar.

Also, I never said anything about myself living in any basement. Once again, there's someone here making vulgar posts using my name. Why would I say that about myself, and as I posted earlier, why would I make a post calling myself "g@y?"

Uh, I know you never used troll. Someone else does, nevermind someone else here initiating all this BS by calling me a j#rkoff.

Also, during one exchange with Lisa, I used the word c$nt directed at her. Then you had to join the exchange by saying I would know since I had to pay for it. Totally didn't involve you, but you had to join in.

I don't hate Gilbert on a personal level. Just wish his antics didn't affect his play and his teammates so much.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 26, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm the kind of guy that using those terms toward women, well it doesn't fly with me. Dirty socks might have been better to use than dirty jocks, but the point was dirty laundry.
Like I said the Deep Throat thing wasn't meant to be sexual, it was meant as a joke. I guess I shouldn't reference the 70's in my humor. By god it is 30 years ago.

Posted by: GM | March 26, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse