Worst loss of the season?

I sat in Cleveland once and watched as Dwayne Rudd ripped off his helmet to celebrate a would-be victory over the KC Chiefs only to be hit with a penalty that allowed the Morten Anderson to line up and make a game-winning field goal as time expired but I don't think that topped what I witnessed tonight.

There are shockers and then there is seeing Michael Ruffin, game and third place in the East in hand, attempt to loft a ball up in the air and kill the clock only to have it slip out and wind up in the hands of Morris Peterson, who then threw in (I swear he didn't shoot it; it was more like a loft) a threeball from 31 feet away, tying the game, forcing overtime and all but ripping the heart out of the Wizards and their fans. Unreal.

Ruffin was a major reason why the Wiz were in this game in the first place. His defense on Chris Bosh from the second quarter on helped them erase a 13-point lead but that is all forgotten. After the game, Ruff said he merely wanted to kill the clock but he didn't get a good grip on the ball, it slipped and, well, we all know what happened next.

"When I saw it go to him and he shot it was like......." No need to finish Ruff, we can imagine how it feels.

A win would have moved the Wiz back into third place ahead of the Raptors but now they are in sixth and have to find a way to suck it up, get over this and win at Milwaukee Sunday. 11 games to go now.

Don't know if you caught Brendan Haywood's act tonight but it was classic. After doing nothing early and finishing with no points and four boards in 12 minutes, Haywood was not happy. When Jordan pulled him 41 seconds into the fourth quarter, Haywood walked off the court mumbling to himself the whole way, sat in a seat and then tossed a towel off to the side in anger. He remained sitting while his teammates huddled up a few moments after that and later only half-heartedly joined the huddle by standing in the back with a towel draped over his shoulders. He didn't cheer on his teammates as the game went on and when it was over, he was the first player off the court and had a big smile on his face. Not hard to read into that one.

In the last four games, BH has given this team zero points, 13 rebounds and no blocks. At least one of his teammates is getting tired of his act and didn't appreciate tonight's antics. "Put that (blank) in the paper," said the teammate, who shall remain nameless because it was not an on-the-record conversation. "Let people read that."

Said another: "That's for that man to deal with right in there (pointing to Eddie Jordan's office)."

My guess: you'll see a different starting center at Milwaukee on Sunday.

Eddie on what he saw from Brendan: "It was low energy pretty much, that's about it. Low energy will disallow you do the things you need to do at the NBA level...I don't know what do you guys see?"

I went on to describe what I saw after Brendan got pulled in the fourth, the anger at coming out, the sitting when the team was in the huddle, the not slapping hands with teammates when they came out the game etc.

Eddie: "Call it like you see it. I didn't see any of that. I was too busy coaching my team."

By Ivan Carter  |  March 30, 2007; 11:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The skinny on the elusive Juan Carlos Navarro
Next: Jordan considering change at center

Comments

Ivan, let's jsut say it. This is not a good team. Not as bad as the Celtics and Knicks, but not competent or able enough to be "good". There's no mysterious explanation for why they can't play D; why they habitually lose to bad teams with injured stars; why many of their wins are eaked out; why they get little bench production. It's not complicated: outside of the Big 3 they don't have talented personnel and they don't have a great coach. A streaky All-Star and few playoff appearances in a bad conference has a way of making us think silly things...let's stop the charade and the silliness. This team has hit its ceiling and the ceiling is "average to mediocre". If we can just admit that we'll all have an easier time dealing with their impending first-round exit.

Posted by: pfunk | March 31, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

The first time I saw Brendan Haywood, I was a student at U.Maryland and I was courtside watching him and the Tar Heels warm up at Cole Field House. I thought to myself "he's tall, but up close he looks like a 10 year old in a 7-footers body". About a decade later tracking his lack of maturity, I can only conlcude that he is actually 10-year in a 7 footer's body. Sad.

Posted by: pfunk | March 31, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

No one on the team should be smiling after that loss. If I care more about this team losing than BH, then he needs to go find another job.

Posted by: Aaron | March 31, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with pfunk. Let's be honest, this team is just not that great. Compared with the wiz/bullets of old, being a perennial playoff team is great, but we are not going to get past the first round.

Posted by: Zack | March 31, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, I think I'm sadly on board with what you're saying. December-January really had me thinking things were only going to get better (I mean, they were on fire and still didn't have Etan back, didn't have Songaila, Blatche hadn't even gotten major minutes, etc. It was a lock, right????).

But now, it's clear the rigor of the season has caught up to these guys and the fatigue is setting in, be it physical or mental. Nobody has an edge out there and it shows. It's like they don't really care about any of these games because they feel like they're in the playoffs and that's enough.

Not unlike how they treat defense -- it's optional right up until the very end when it counts, then they hope for one timely stop and wish for the best. That's exactly how they're playing ball right now. Right up until someone tells them they have to win to get into the last playoff slot...

For me the only real bright spots for this team going forward have been Songaila and Blatche. Not that the other guys haven't done some great things this year, but D-Song and Bulletproof both bring things to the table that nobody else is doing for us. I hope whoever is coaching this team next year takes better advantage of them than EJ has.

Posted by: Gack | March 31, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Did Eddie stick up for Ruffin at all?

Posted by: George Templeton | March 31, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, it should hardly come as a surprise. The only reason Haywood played as well as he did for as long as he did was to prove two points: (1) that he's better than Etan and (2) that Jordan was wrong for giving Thomas the starting job at the beginning of the season. It was never about the team or winning. I really think the only reason Jordan didn't give Thomas the starting job back after he came back from his injury is because he knew the minute he did, Haywood would go straight into the tank.

As for the game ... Ruffin choked. He was afraid of getting fouled, missing the FTs and giving the Raptors a chance at a desperation 3 to tie (esp. after what Rasheed Wallace did against Denver) that he tossed the ball before he'd really secured it in his hands.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

we suck.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Tonight was the 'stomach-punch game,' no doubt about it. Beyond a tough one. If Ruffin does almost anything else with the ball, they win. Unreal. Got my heart ripped out tonight and have to get a few things off my chest.

I've watched almost all of the televised games and some things jump out. On offense, and when healthy, they're money. When they play as a team, moving the ball around and not just hoisting up a quick one, they're awesome. Even though Zero owns the offensive end, they're more than just the Big Three. Much more. They can play on that end. But obvioulsy it's defense that kills this team. I love Zero and he's an unbelievable scorer but I've never seen a talent like him have more trouble 1) playing defense coming off a screen at the top of the key and 2) stopping the dribbler coming down the lane from the top. He ought to be able to do it as he's an unreal athlete, but it just doen't happen. And the Captain, Jamison, he makes a ton of plays on offense and he does get some key rebounds at times, but he can't guard anybody either. I laughed out loud when they put him on Bosh tonight in the first half. It wasn't even fair. I don't know what Eddie was thinking. Ruffin did a much better job on him in the second half. Then we get to the center position. Brendan Haywood. Enough already with him. Please. Much more often than not, he doesn't close down the lane, he doesn't rebound, and he doesn't score. I thought he was asleep tonight. Plus he packs an attitude. Heavens, go with Etan. He's doesn't close off the middle either but at least he hustles. And he looks like he cares, which counts. Like most teams inthe league, we need areal center. Team-wise, their defensinve rotations have to be the slowest in the league. More times than I care to remember, Gilbert's out there running around - I guess trying to double someone though I'm not sure he knows either - and they start scrambling. But before you know it, it's one quick pass and they give up a layup. Aside from my man, Caron, Ruffin, Antonio and the 'You Can't See Me' man, there's just not much of a defensive mentality on the team. I love 'em, and I'm there to the bitter end this year, but let's face it, they're soft.

Posted by: fenderdeluxe | March 31, 2007 12:58 AM | Report abuse

fender, you're right on when you say that when they play as a team they are awesome. Problem is that they only have 1 way of winning: The Big 3 need to get 70-80 points, Butler needs to be healthy enough to go all-out on the defensive end, Thomas and Haywood need to platoon for about 15 points/10 boards/4 blocks. If that doesn't happen though, they are toast and can lose to the likes of Portland minus Randolph, Hornets minus Paul, Memphis minus Gasol or Hawks minus J.Johnson. Teams that are actually "good" and competitive in the playoffs know how to adapt and win in more than one way - they can pull out a defensive slugfest, or win at the free-throw line, or win a shootout, etc. That is not the Wizards; and come playoff time when a coach/team gear all their efforts towards taking away the Wizard's "A" option game, they will fold.

Posted by: pfunk | March 31, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

So who is more to blame for this team's lack of a killer instinct, Jordan or the players? I think its equal, but I just want to know what everyone else thinks. As someone said on the previous thread it may be more than Jordan that needs to be change it maybe quite a number of players that need to go (beyond the obvious two, Arvis and Ruffin).

Posted by: George Templeton | March 31, 2007 1:37 AM | Report abuse

This is the most poorly coached team...all season.
It is obvious that coach jordan has no clue.
He continued throughout the season to play the "3" excessive minutes, as if his job was on the line. It was inevitable that injuries would wear down the stars. That includes Gilbert, who is not near the player he was before the all star break.
He has totally wasted Blatche, who is the only talented big man on the roster.
He brings enthusiasm and skills that the triumverant of Haywood/thomas/ruffin...can only dream of.
The defense is an embarassment., and has been all year.
The decisions at the end of regulation tonight, belye coach ej's explanation that he was too busy coaching to see Haywood's petulance.
What was Butler doing intentionaly fouling with the Wizards up 3 with 9 seconds to go.
Also the only way they lose the game was by 3 point shooting, and yet Dixon gets a wide open 3....I could go on and on.
This team will never compete for a simple reason. The owner!
If you compare the talent, in addition to the coaching to top teams...foget about it.
Pollin is in love with Jordan, as was he with Ferry, Unseld, etc.
Also there seems no intention to pay for strong bench and supporting players.
Do you think Chris Webber could have helped this team inside?
The bench is a mish mash of never will, and never were players.
From the top this team is woeful and not getting better until ownership changes.

Posted by: michael ricklen | March 31, 2007 1:38 AM | Report abuse

I can't sleep, it's 2 AM and the game has been over for hours, but I still can't get over this one. You know what would make me happy?....If Eddie had the balls to: come out tomorrow & CUT Brendan Haywood's sorry ass; Re-name Etan Thomas as starting center saying that it was a mistake to change; give Ruffin some support and show that he doesn't want to throw him under the bus like so many others want to.

Kwame Brown was a cancer to this team, T.O. was a cancer to the Eagles and Brendan Haywood is a cancer to this team. Somebody needs to shake things up before this team loses it.

Posted by: Adam Anderson | March 31, 2007 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Can I just say that, as a Raptors fan, I quite enjoyed this game, particularly the ending. I think the season series between these two teams has been compelling, exciting basketball, so I'd look forward to seeing them throw 120 a night at each other for a 7-game set. In any event, good night Wizards fans, I'm out for a great night's sleep. Pass Ruffin some more popcorn ;)

Posted by: K Bomber | March 31, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

I think BH loss a few supporters tonite. EJ is not getting through to these guys.
& has about 50 games as Wizards coach left Iam afraid.

Posted by: Victor | March 31, 2007 4:21 AM | Report abuse

The loss tonight really reflects the way this team is coached.No defense,one on one play,offensive fouls at critical time of game and of course EJ on the bench looking like he doesn't know what to do.All who've said that this team is poorly coached,I agree 100%.Ej does not seem to take any action to right this sinking ship.He seems hell bent on giving minutes to guys who give him poor play and no hustle.The way their playing and coached,We probably will not win a single game in the playoffs.It's time for change;players and coach.Or maybe a different coach could teach defense ,play the right people and thus be more competitive.Abe,start thinking about doing something because the current mix is not going to make it happen.

Posted by: ron | March 31, 2007 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Was at the game and I am already tired of Brendan's attitude. If he doesn't want to be here, LET HIM GO! If you are a part of a TEAM, you play your best when you are in the game and you DON'T sulk when on the bench. You LEND YOUR SUPPORT TO YOUR TEAMATES Brendan! That said, this game was ours to win and once again, it was thrown away! That was a piss poor play by Ruffin and he deserves the blame for THAT particular decision. I did not even stay for the overtime because I knew they would lose in OT and they did! This team has got to learn defense or if we MAKE the playoffs, it will be one and done! I will say this, I would rather have Juan coming off our bench and I knew our trading him would one day come back to haunt us. So BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: WizFANatic | March 31, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, Eddie Jordan needs to take his head out of the sand and admit what is happening. If the team sees Brendans attitude or lack thereof and he does not address this, then this does not bode well for the teams chemistry. I also knew the problem was with Brendan and not Etan. Brendan wants to start and be on the floor for 40 minutes or he is not happy. He has stated that time and time again. That is not feasible, especially if you are not contributing. It is not about him, it is about the team and he is not a team player. Attitudes like that cannot be allowed to flourish on any team or it will kill the team eventually. He only played like a man possesed to keep Etan from starting. Once he got the starting position, he did what he always does, play soft with no real intensity. Eddie, you had better plug the whole before the whole ship sinks. I wonder if that is what Gil meant when he said he was going home to watch the Titanic? Hmmmmmmm?

Posted by: Wizfanatic | March 31, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

It's the morning after and I'm still in a state of SHOCK. Heartbreaking loss....Ruffin both saved and LOST the game. He must feel horrible (althouth not as bad as we do). It reminded me of the botched Tony Romo hold in the Cowboys/Seahawks playoff game - but being a Redskins fan I was happy about that mistake.

I want so badly to like Brendan but his attitude sucks. Noticed him pouting on the sideline and that he did not join the huddle or stand up and applaud, high five the guys when good things were happening. Etan was smiling and totally being one part of the team and he did not play much either.

Posted by: Lisa | March 31, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Don't have much to add on the game last night that wasn't said above - kalorama is spot on - Ruffin didn't want to get fouled and thus we lost. While he played better D on Bosh, when the comparison point is AJ, that doesnt mean much. He can't play offense and if he is that scared of getting fouled with the game on the line, he simply can't be in the game at the end. He just can't.

I also would agree that it would be appropriate to cut Brendan. What a message. But it won't happen. Why? First team doesn't want to have to pay a player not on the team. Second it kills his value. Bottom line is that Brendan is worth something, perhaps a lot, on the open market as trade bait, given that his salary is reasonable and when he does want to play he plays reasonably well. You also can't teach size. Cutting him - you lose a decent player for next year.

Also, we are stuck with Etan, given his contract. So... I'd suspend him for rest of season (don't have to pay him if there is justification). In the offseason, he needs to go (unless Eddie goes, which seems unlikely).

Counterpoint:

All together now - we lost one game. WE shouldn't have lost. We did. But we are still one win out of 4th place in division. Perhaps this game will tell the fellas that they need to close out games when they are ahead b/c if you close the game out, you can't lose on ridiculous three point heaves.

Posted by: charles jones | March 31, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

It's kind of hard to close out a game when your Big Three go a combined 19 for 60 and your team misses a total of 12 free-throws.

Posted by: Mitch | March 31, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

But Mitch even with that being true, the Wizards were one bonehead play and one unbelievable shot away from winning the game. That would have said a lot good about this team, if Ruffin hadn't made that mistake.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 31, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Heartbreaking loss, what else is there to say? There is no excuse for a defense-only player no matter what position. Get a good shooting coach and teach everyone how to shoot jumpers from midrange and the foul line including the centers.

Posted by: rickgonz | March 31, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

EJ called that coaching. Whoops. Another mistake.

Posted by: Colin | March 31, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, please ask that fool why does he sit Stevenson down for long stretches? He almost blew the Philly game because of it and he consistently takes him out when Deshawn has the hot hand. Why does it seem like he only wants the Big 3 and Jarvis to score? He sits everyone else down who MAKES a basket but leaves in Jamison who couldn't throw it in Anacostia River last night (and the whole west coast trip for that matter)! And pass on a message to BTH for me. Tell him 7 footers don't fade away or take charges. If I was his coach, I'd make him write that 1000 times; I will not fade away on my jump shots.

Posted by: C.Bell | March 31, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, but after last nite's game, it's become painfully clear. This is an extremely limited team (albeit an entertaining one if you don't care TOO much about them ... if you do, well, they're a heartbreaking team). Their defensive liabilities and lack of game smarts are killing them. The end of regulation was a microcosm of most of their problems, with the quick foul of Dixon, the leaving him wide open for a 3, and then, of course, the most boneheaded play of all, Ruffin's "celebratory" heave ... although I don't buy his explanation ... I think he got rid of the ball because he was afraid of getting fouled and being sent to the line. Gil has the talent to be at least an average defenders, just needs a coach who can reach him. DeShawn is an okay 2 guard (although I'm not convinced that he is a defensive stopper), and AD is a nice, steadying back up. Would be nice if we had some instant back court offense off the bench (like, perhaps Juan Dixon) to go along with the more defensive AD. However, the frontcourt is a mess. AJ has many offensive strengths, but he gets killed on the defensive end. Caron is undersized and tends to get overpowered some on the defensive end. Center position is a joke: I love Etan's hustle, but he has hands of absolute stone, very few offensive skills, and is an undersized defender; Brendan has an attitude problem, doesn't hustle, and is another black hole when it comes to moving the ball; and Ruffin, et al, well after tonite's game, 'nuff said. Only big guys off the bench that should still be here next year are Blanche, who is showing some potential and is only a nominal 2nd year player, so you got to stick with him, and Darius, who has a nice little offensive game, but is very slow and can't defend one-on-one (although he does do some nice help defense). Finally, the coaching staff is ready for a change ... EJ has had multiple years with this team, and there is no real progress: they are still, at best, 1st round fodder (they could with luck sneak into the 2nd round, but they are not contenders). Paging Ernie Grunfeld ... time to earn all the kudos you've been getting 'round these parts.

I'll watch the playoffs and pull hard for the team, but in my heart, I know that they're not going to go as far as I think they should/could.

Posted by: WestCoastWizard | March 31, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I said it before and I'll say it again... Calvin Booth (yes big goofy Calvin Booth) should be starting at center for the Wiz. He's certainly nothing special but at least he pulls down a few rebounds and tries to play D when he's out there, which is more than we can say about Haywood. Booth won't win us many games, but guys like Haywood and Ruffin are so bad they actually lose games for us.

Also, I can't be mad at Ruffin for what happened last night. He is by far the worst player that has ever played in the NBA, and if the coaches are dumb enough to actually put him in the game then they deserve to lose.

Posted by: ineedpoon | March 31, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

One more thing.. I completely agree with C.Bell. Eddie has not learned how to play the hot hand (or bench the cold one). Way too many times this season we've been forced to watch a guy that was killing it in the first half ride the bench for the entire 3rd quarter while our lead dwindles away with Jarvis/Ruffin on the court. BOOOOO.

Posted by: ineedpoon | March 31, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Unbeleivable that in a game that Brendan had no part in deciding -- because he wasn't given the chance -- that the focus of Ivan's article would be on his attitude. I'd be pissed too if I was Haywood. Anyone who follows the team would know that they have a much better record when he plays 25 minutes plus than when he doesn't. Ivan, how would you like it if all of a sudden your column was pulled out from you? Would you stand by and cheer your replacement who was obvvioussly inderior? Please. And if you're going to be critical of someone, how come the coach has escaped your wrath for an entire season. I'm sick of the media in this town giving this guy a free pass. You want to use your power as a writer to affect change on this squad -- why not do something to put a little pressure on the coach? Why are you so scared to say anything negative about EJ, or Gil or Jamison but you'll take a shot at a guy who's been railroaded by his coach for 2 straight seasons?

Posted by: Charlie32 | March 31, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

First understand the GM takes a lot of responsibility for this as well. EJ can only play the players who he is given. The last few years you've given away Hughes and Jeffries. Your two best defenders. By the way expect Stevenson (your best defender this year) to exit this off-season. The team hasnt been the same since Gilberts coming out party and neither has he. He dont play with desire, dont run for loose balls, or have a good baskeball IQ. Simple as that. And notice teams go after Jamison at the end of the game (Lebron last year, HAslem at the Miami game). As a matter of fact I noticed they pulled Jamison at the end of the 4th quarter during Toronto's final possessions.
EJ is guilty for not bringing in a real defensive specialist and adding discipline to the team and I fear that within a year he will be coaching with the Nets. But having said that there isnt much you can do with a collection of grown men who dont want to play defense or cant play defense. His hands are tied in that respect. You could bench Jamison, Haywood, and Arenas but the players behind them are offensively terrible(Daniels, Thomas, and Ruffin.
Also look at how Chicago has improved since the wizards beat them a few years ago and look at how the Wizards have at best stood still. Miami-Eddie Jones, Detroit-Webber, Cleveland-Hughes, Chicago-Wallace. Pollin is happy with the sellouts and making the first round of the playoffs. As fans we need to realize that

Posted by: CJ | March 31, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who went to the game, what was the vibe in the stands after Mo Pete hit the 3, and then when time expired in OT? Did the fans rain down with booos, or were they dumbstruck?

If you look at the stats, there is no way Les BouleS should have lost because Toronto turned over the ball 9 more times and everyone contributed, except the starting center, Brendan Haywood.

RAPTORS WERE WITHOUT BARGNANI WHO WAS OUT DUE TO AN APPENDECTOMY, AND GARBOSA WAS OUT WITH SURGERY ON HIS ANKLE. MO PETE PLAYED 1 F'N MINUTE IN THE GAME AND HIT HIS ONLY SHOT, A 3 POINTER!!!!! LES BOULES WERE AT FULL STRENGTH. WHAT IS THE EXCUSE NOW?!?!?!?! SWADAGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I think they should have just kept feeding the ball to DS b/c he was hot at the end. He was shooting way better than Gilby, but Gilby took 11 more shots!!!

In all seriousness, Gilbert should have stepped up and put the game away. If you're relying on a scrub like Ruffin to win you games, or if your margin of error is so slim that a stupid toss up by Ruffin cost you the game, then you're in serious f'n trouble. You don't belong in the f'n playoffs, nevermind leader in the division. Put a fork in this season already.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

was at the game, when mo pete took the shot I knew it was going in, Im a veteran, I was there last year when Damon Jones did it in Game 6, we all remember when vince carter did it earlier this season, I was not shocked at all, I just sat back in my chair and waited for the sure L that was coming our way

i dont have much to say on the team/coaching/strategy because its pretty much been said before, it should be an intersting offseason though, because Ernie Grunfeld is a smart guy, he understands this team has reached its ceiling, and he will do his best to make changes

Posted by: terps1411 | March 31, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

EG must be a great salesman, because whenever he's on WTEM doing interviews with Czaban and Pollin, he's the most positive man in the world. Czaban gave him some ribbing earlier this week, and he actually got annoyed. In any regard, his outlook for the team is on the up and up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It's time for all of us to be real about his situation. Gilbert is not the player that everyone thinks he is. First of all, he is an immature streaky shooter that pretends to be a point guard that doesn't get his teammates involved in the flow of the offense. If he's in the gym as much as advertised, why does he miss so many open shots? He shot should be automatic. HE IS A HEAD CASE JUST LIKE BRENDAN HAYWOOD. His game could really be on another level if he would grow up. He is not really an All Star, and there's no comparison KOBE, LEBRON, WADE, NASH, TONY PARKER, CHANCEY BILLUPS, OR JASON KIDD. JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOOT THE BALL MORE THAN ANYONE, AND HAPPEN TO GET HOT ONE NIGHT AN DISAPPEAR THE NEXT NIGHT IS ABSURD. Another streaky shooter, Jamison IS A $15,000,000 BUM who can't check anyone in the league including the ballboy. Antonio Daniels is a ball hog who needs to learn how to pass as the point guard, and stop flopping on drives to the whole. Brendan does not deserve any comments. Last but not least Eddie Jordan is not the answer, this team that he pretends to coach has no discipline, does not run any form of the Princeton offense, and really has no structure. They never swing the ball to find the open man, nor do they have any back door baskets. PRINCETON OFFENSE? In closing, it's time to blow up this under achieving team that I pay $300 for two lower levels seats to see. This team is full of under achievers who come back every year with the same game. Ernie Grunfield is up to something with this European movement. I hope the change comes this summer, but this dream will not materialize because HONEST ABE doesn't need to win games when he can get $50 million from the city, and generate revenue from diehard fans who want a winner.

Posted by: Gunner | March 31, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I do think its interesting as someone noted that Ivan takes a shot at Haywood on the night where Ruffin pulls a "Gus Frerotte".

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Gunner,

I've been preaching that since before the all star break, but have been shouted down by the Gilby apologists and those who are "ga ga over gilby." Now that the "ship be sinking" these people are nowhere to be found.

Here's a quote from today's Post article:

""I was trying to get that contact and make the layup but he got there in time to block it," said Arenas, who was 3 of 11 from three-point range and missed all four of his shots in overtime.""

hibachi my @ss..........

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

DC Dude, I have not disappeared....still here and in Gil's court. This loss was not his fault.

Posted by: Lisa | March 31, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Alright, up to me to get up off the deck and throw some knuckles for the team.

Ugly loss, fine. But the fact is we were down by 13 until Eddie made the adjustment to put Ruff on Bosh. And one mutant alien cancelled out the other. Ruffin did nothing all night except shut down Bosh entirely. With Ruff on him Bosh was scared to shoot, he became essentially Ruffinesque. Ruff was the only dude who could both trap on the pick and pop and still recover to guard Bosh on the pass.

And bxtch all you want about the last second slip. Fact is if not for Ruff's interception (and EJ shouting to send him back to cover him) we would have had Bosh with the ball and 6 seconds to work with.
You think anyone else on our squad was gonna stop Bosh?

Ruffin had the highest +/- of the whole damn team. +15

So we live with Mo Pete shooting and less than a second. Mo Pete who was apparently scrubby enough to not see a minute of game time until then. Nine thousand times out of one hundred chances you'll live with that. And win.

And you'se guys who cry about small ball? Mitchell went small all game but Eddie kept it big and went even bigger.

End of the third Mitch had JDix and TJ Ford in, with Humphries as his biggest player.

EJ has:

GA
Jarvis
CBut
$100 Bill ('D-note')
Big Wood

And smothered 'em.

Up until overtime EJ had a masterful game. Okay he went with Antawn in OT. Bad choice? Eh, maybe second guess all you want to but we've seen before, this team lives and dies with Antawn Jamison. Or maybe you think he should get an injury again so we can see what that looks like again....

And while the coach can't know this while he's coaching but he's got to have the feel: AJ was the only other Wizard with a positive +/- tally this game: +11.

Every other Wiz is in negative figures. Gil was minus 8. Caron minus 11.

This was a tough loss. Tough. Ugly. Gut punch. All that. But it's fights like this you find out who your friends are. YOu gonna stand with the team and support 'em? Or run away and cry about it. Bunch of weak baby fans.

This team was hitting 34% from the floor and fought back to steal the lead, gutting it out and battling at the FT line. They knuckled up and took it, gutty play after gutty play. That's a testament to the players and the coach both.

I'm a Wizards fan. I stand with the squad, a tough loss but no sense crying about it. You don't like it well run along and become a LeBron fan why doncha. This teams still got games to win without ya. Wiz fans, stand up.

-doc.

Posted by: doclinkin | March 31, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I've said it once, I'll say it again:

* The Raptors WERE WITHOUT TWO OF THEIR BIG MEN. BARGNANI AND CALDERON WERE BOTH OUT DUE TO MEDICAL/INJURY REASONS AND LES BOULES WERE AT FULL STRENGTH. No reason for this game to be even CLOSE AT HOME. Recall how people love to use the excuse that the team is injured, or back to back, or they're better at home, etc. NO MORE EXCUSES.

* With Bargnani and Calderon out, that's why Toronto went small ball. They were missing 20 pts b/c of these two guys.

* As FREAKISH as a play that was with Ruffin, if you're BLAMING A SCRUB for the loss, when there are 3 all stars on this team, then your team is in deep kim chi. The face of this franchise is Gilby, and he's got to be held responsible. Look at how Michael responded to my question:

-------------------------------------------

D.C.: Gilbert, who placed himself on a pedestal, is essentially the face of this franchise. All wins and losses point to him, whether he's anointed the leader or not. If the Cavs lose, do they blame LeBron or Eric Snow? If the Lakers lose, do they blame Turiaf or Kobe? If the Rockets lose, do they blame Juwan or TMac? If Gilbert is going to put himself out there and have his "coming out party," then he'd better be ready to take his lashes too.

Michael Lee: That's right, D.C.

-------------------------------------------

* Gilby should have put Les BouleS in a situation where the game wasn't even close. He had an off shooting night again, Le Hibachi wasn't working, and he missed a critical 3, and had his last shot blocked by Bosh.

* Souf-East Lisa. You're here and broken hearted with your sweet tail between your legs. I feel for you hun.

SWADAGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

DC Dude, you don't feel for me or anyone because you have no feelings at all except for your hatred of Gil....and the other bloggers on this site. Why don't you go post on a blog for a team you actually like?

Posted by: Lisa | March 31, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

EJ should deactivate Brenda Toddette Haywood right now. Don't let him travel with the team or practice or even set foot in the stadium. Then trade him in the offseason for whatever we can get.

No one with that kind of attitude should be allowed to tear apart a team. We pay him $4 million a year to do nothing but slack and whine and hurt team morale.

Why did so many people here defend this sack of slack a few months ago? Feeling pretty stupid now, aren't you?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"Up until overtime EJ had a masterful game."

Doc I can't agree with you this time. Good teams find a way to win and the Wiz continously find a way to lose.

That's a reflection on your coach.

I'm a Wiz fan also, but Jordan continuously puts people in there who should not be on the floor, and wouldn't for any other team I might add. He puts players in positions to lose.(ie - Ruffin, Hayes, Jamison)

He's not a good coach, and this team does not play team ball.

- Ray

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Souf-East Lisa, how can I feel bad for you when you're badmouthing me on other blogs when no way in hell did I write on those other blogs, and you've been blasting me since I came with my conservative optimism approach on this website. You made your bed honey, and now you'll have to lay on it and make love with the pictures of Gilby that you have. If you want to blame someone for Les BouleS's follies, you can't blame me. Blame the self proclaimed face of the franchise.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Lets not forget that Gilbert hit that critical 3 pt'er in the closing secs. One move that I didn't see discussed was the foul by Caron with about 9 sec. left. I think we had a 4pt. lead and they had to go the length of the court. He fouled him after about 1 sec. It would have been nice to wait until the ball was at least up to midcourt. That could have knocked off probably 3 more seconds which would have cut the time down to virtually nothing. These final-second plays need some more work for the wiz. I'd like to say 2 real bright spots are the unexpected play from Sanjaya, I mean Songaila who had a 11-11 streak (over 2 games) recently. But even more heartening is the stellar play from Stevenson. Frankly I'm not too happy with either BH or Poetman

Posted by: robert | March 31, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Another disappointing loss.

More disorganized, inept coaching.

Uh, where was our media hound, black gums grinnin, cheezin, big mouth, Mr Franchise player? On his way to watch the Titanic? What a lame, spineless leader? On the way to his blog spewing nonesense, playing on-line poker, betting w/fans on line, booking his next appearance on some or any program, grinning for the cameras and hopefully looking for d-fense. Cuz he certainly hasn't found it yet.

What good is it to brag about 3 clutch shots this year if everything else has clunked?

May Grunfeld waive/trade the entire bench
Start over w/core 3 or 4. The rest are a waste.

ENUf with the excuses already.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 1, 2007 1:51 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz...play no defense....
take turns doing stupid things at critical times...are poorly coached..havent won a big game versus a good team since when?
Arenas is not to be mentioned in the same breath as LeBron, Wade, Kobe...he is just a stat accumlator..plain and simple

Overall most fans would trade this overpaid collection of "zeroes" for the Raptors team....

Posted by: the truth | April 1, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse