A Radical Plan To Rescue The Wizards

My phone rang during the third quarter of the Wizards-Bulls nationally televised butt-whipping and the subsequent conversation triggered an idea that could save the season for the local five.

My best friend, David, was watching the game from Kansas City and couldn't believe what ABC had subjected him to - the Wizards were down about 22 or so at this point - so he called me to complain. "This is supposed to be a playoff team?" David, an unabashed Bulls fan, asked of the Wizards. "The NBA needs to disqualify them!"

After my initial chuckle, I told David that Wizards don't need to be disqualified; that they earned the right to be in the playoffs; that it wasn't their fault that Caron Butler and Gilbert Arenas went down to season-ending injuries the last month of the regular season. Then, I asked, "What team in the Eastern Conference should be in the playoffs at the expense of the Wizards?"

I threw out the East teams currently on the outside looking in. "Indiana? New York? Philadelphia? Milwaukee?" David stopped me before I could mention Boston, Atlanta or Charlotte, and said, "You're right. I guess we have no choice but to watch these guys in the playoffs."

Then it hit me. Disqualification is not the way the NBA solves the problem of making America watch a playoff team that doesn't closely resemble the team that earned the playoff berth. The league needs to empower the Wizards.

Look, Commissioner David Stern has to be concerned about his bottom line, and I'm sure the ratings for the Wizards' 101-68 loss to the Bulls had to be miserable. People had to start reaching for the remote in the first quarter when the Wizards seemed like they'd be stuck on 5 points forever. I'm also sure that a possible first round series between the Wizards and the Toronto Raptors would be about as appealing as a runny nose. Forget ABC, ESPN, TNT or even NBA TV, QVC might not want to televise those games.

The Wizards were hit with an unprecedented hardship - losing two all-stars prior to the postseason - and they more closely resemble an expansion team than a playoff team, so this requires a drastic solution. How about instituting the first-ever playoff dispersal draft?

Let's give the Wizards the opportunity to replace Arenas and Butler by allowing them to draft any two players from the 14 teams that failed to make the playoffs. The Wizards can rent their services strictly for the postseason. The players chosen are also allowed to get an equal share of the playoff money. When or if the Wizards are eliminated from the postseason, the players are sent directly back to their teams along with a thank you card and bottle of Armand de Brignac (the "Gold Bottles with the Ace of Spades" that Jay-Z showcases in the "Show Me What You Got" Video).

Now, every player available for this draft has to be on a team's active roster. The Wizards need healthy players, so it does no good to select Ray Allen or anybody who has had season-ending surgery. That also eliminates "injured" players like Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Michael Redd, who may not really be hurt but have been asked to shut it down for the rest of the season.

Anyway, this still gives the Wizards the opportunity to replace Arenas and Butler with two great players. I looked at the rosters from non-playoff teams and the possibilities are pretty good.

Wouldn't you like Pau Gasol and Mike Bibby? Rashard Lewis and Chris Paul? If the Los Angeles Clippers don't get in, wouldn't it be great to add Elton Brand to the front line? With Andre Miller running the point? Or Wizards-killer Gerald Wallace at the wing? What about young guys like Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson or Josh Smith?

So many options.

The Wizards' playoff opponents might argue that this isn't fair, but neither is losing two all-stars in the last month of the season. What makes the playoff dispersal draft great is that is gives these players a chance to shine on a big stage. It also gives fans from those teams an opportunity to feel a part of the postseason. It's a win-win.

Let's face it. Things don't look pretty for the Wiz. They've lost seven of eight. The mood around this team is bleak. A regular visitor to the Wizards' locker room said that the place which once boasted "swag fests" and more playful banter than arguably any locker room in the NBA now feels like "a morgue." To borrow a line from my favorite rapper, Nas, "It's the same vibe 'Good Times' had when James died."

Wouldn't the playoff dispersal draft bring back some life into the organization? This city?

Hey, Stern has already force-fed a synthetic ball and a dress code on the league. Why not rescue the Wizards and the playoff ratings at the same time? Otherwise, I'm going to get a few more phone calls during the first round.

If it were up to me, I'd take Brand and Bibby. Brand could provide the low post scoring the Wizards sorely need, and give Jamison the space to spread the floor from the outside. Bibby could be the deadeye shooter the Wizards need to hit three pointers. Both players also have had success in the playoffs - the type of experience the Wizards would sorely need on the fly.

Who would you pick?

By Michael Lee  |  April 15, 2007; 11:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Opportunity knocks
Next: A Thrilling Finish

Comments

IVAN AND MICHAEL: PLEASE READ

My post from the skinsblog:

This is for my people. I wasn't going to say anything but today's Zards loss put me over the top. On Saturday night, I was repping it to the death at Smith Point. I was reading how Prince William broke up with his lady on my Razr, when someone brushes by me who looks familiar. It was Kirk Hinrich. Then right next to him comes in Chris Duhon. They were wearing sweat suits and trying to get their drink on...they went straight for the back bar. I look at Hinrich and shout "Least favorite player in the NBA." Then it hits me, it's almost 1 am. The Wizards-Bulls game is on at 1 pm the next day on national tv with the 2nd seed on the line. How are Hinrich and Duhon out drinking this late the night before??? The answer: no respect. Then they went and blew us out by 109 points on Sunday. Unreal.

The reason I am writing this is I want it to get back to the Zards how they were disresepected to the point where one of the best players on the team who took Lil' Gilbert's spot on the Olympic team thought so little of the game that he went to get bent with that boozhound Duhon and some sexy time with the 2 seed on the line on national TV. I want Michael Lee or Ivan Carter to drop that knowledge to Clueless Eddie Jordan (who looks like a man who just found out his 18 year-old daughter is pregnant). You don't believe me? Call Smith Point and ask Bo if Hinrich stopped by. We need some fire, son! We need something. I am tired of looking at Washington sports teams and seeing the image of Jeff George being dragged on the ground by Ebeneezer Ekuban while Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen watch. Someone needs to say: I know we lost Gilbert and Caron, but you know what? We'll still punch you in the mouth. COME ON!!!!!

Posted by: The Governor | April 16, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Michael-

Kyle Korver!

Great blog...

Posted by: Guess Who? | April 16, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Dear Ivan and Michael,
We all are just waiting hopelessly for this season to end. I wish the Wizards draw the Bulls in the first round just so that it would expose Eddie Jordan's incomepetence. You guys have been way easy on the coach and avoided all the tough questions. The real story at this point would be the budding anomosity between Gil and Eddie. Give us something that will get us interested again. Thanks. I always enjoy your work.

Posted by: Charlie | April 16, 2007 1:21 AM | Report abuse

I say this with the utmost respect, but I think this playoff dispersal draft idea is atrocious.

If teams think they can simply add one or two players to their playoff roster from teams that didn't make it and expect those players to gel easily and learn the system, they're insane. Plus, it takes away the importance of "role" players on teams and if this playoff dispersal draft were to happen, then that means teams would have to release players who have been with the team for the full season and gone to every practice and participated in every team activity. BUt now, these players would have to be released to make room for a superstar. That is unfair and ridiculous if it happened. It would not only send negative messages to youngsters watching the game by conveying it is okay to be disloyal and abandon someone who has sacrificed a whole year of hard work, but it would also jeopardize the integrity of the game.

Posted by: KevinZ | April 16, 2007 2:09 AM | Report abuse

This is a stretch even for fantasy. Why should other franchises risk their players just so the Wizards can be competitive? Sure they've lost 2 KEY players but last time I checked, there are more than 2 players on the roster. This is the Wizards fault for resting all their hopes on 2 guys in a semi-contact sport with a LONG season.

Besides, this should give some of the younger players a chance to get valuable experience.

Posted by: Bart | April 16, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, I generally agree with you, but I think this idea, although well conceived, is kind of risky. What other team out there will be willing to allow another team to borrow their top players and then have them risk injury to a bottom feeder playoff team? How will the other team be compensated if "Brand or Bibby" blows out their knee during a Wizards playoff game? It's way too risky.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Michael Lee. I have to agree with KevinZ on his post. No disrespect, but that whole idea makes no sense!!??? Are you running out of subjects to write about? Or are you trying to "lighten the mood" around here for us Wiz Fans?

How about giving us some more "inside information and behind the scenes stuff" like Ivan seems to do? This is not a bash on you, but I prefer that you find out some information on why Haywood is back in the doghouse, or is EG still "sticking to his statement" before the trade deadline that "we" are happy with our team and we see no need to make any changes.

Does the "we" mean Eddie and him, or Abe and him? Eddie has been taking a lot of the blame lately, especially from me on the way he treats Haywood and his crazy rotation calls; but I think now something should be said about EG to a degree.

Don't get me wrong, EG has done a "bang up" job here, but I do not think he planned on Gil and Butler going down thus exposing how weak our bench is (except for Blanche, Mason, AD and Haywood).

How about looking into what EG's "plan of attack" might be or should be? Again, no offense intended from me, but lets get some more "inside stuff" to talk about? Thanks......

Posted by: mikie | April 16, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, add Songalia to my list of good players. Did not mean to forget him....

Posted by: mikie | April 16, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

One thing I noticed yesterday afternoon was that Les BouleS took their thrashing like a good boy. Even when Le Bulls ran up the score on the knicks, the knicks were PO'd and wanted to go fisticuffs.

Where was the fire on our team? Why didn't a Bulls player get slammed onto the court for running up the score after it went past 30 pts? I kind of understand because most of the players just want the entire debacle, playoff included, to end. It was an embarrassment, and EJ took it like a Michael Jackson in a maximum security penitentiary.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Michael, the time for a comprehensive post on Brenda is long overdue. What the heck is going on?

Posted by: ct fan | April 16, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Chris Paul and Gasol, but you we could also 'try out' somebody who will be on the market like Magloire? I would like to see this plenty

Posted by: yess | April 16, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree with ct fan....what the heck is going on between Eddie and Brendan? He rarely plays - but the one game that he did he played well. And his comments have been very supportive.

I've tried to support Eddie but he has gone too far with this one....unless Brendan has slept with his wife there is just no excuse for not playing him more.

Posted by: Lisa | April 16, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, I saw a recent pic of his wife in the style section. I doubt if Brendan would go there.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Based on the first couple of posts, I think you guys need to lighten up. This playoff dispersal draft will never happen. This is a complete fantasy. Are you too mired in misery that you can't see past the murky waters? I was just trying to have some fun at a time when there is nothing good going on with the team. Lighten up, folks. Just try to play along. This doesn't need to be analyzed on a serious level here. Pick two and move on! Has the Wizards' season eliminated all hope for any sort of laughter here? My goodness, people. We'll address the rest of the issues, but whew. . .I don't know. I thought somebody here had a sense of humor.

Posted by: Michael Lee | April 16, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Mike, I think the only laughter we will have is if we see some heads roll for this debacle. Or, if we get some blockbuster trades/draft pick this offseason.

Since I'm a good sport, I'll play along with this fantasy. I'll take Chris Paul and Jermaine O'Neal. And, I'll swap Eddie Jordan for Mike Dunleavy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Elton Brand and Chris Paul. With Daniels hurt, now they need a point guard to help out. And Brand is, well, Brand. And to think that if Michael Jordan hadn't been so stubborn, they could have gotten Brand for the pick that became Kwame Brown. (Not that I mind having Butler, but stil...)

Posted by: TG | April 16, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Michael,

I can't speak for everyone, but I do have a sense of humor and I found this humorous and a welcome break from the misery that has been the end of this season.

However, I can't blame the others here for wanting to know: a) What's the deal with Haywood?; and b) Why no one ever seems to ask Eddie the tough questions, the answers to which we are really interested in knowing?

That said, thanks for the humor. We surely need it.

Posted by: Kam | April 16, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cute Idea for fun, But you know it would never happen cause teams would want their guys back healthy. And with Tony and DCman88 rolling out the curse talk we'd have no way of knowing if this thing rubbs off or what.
We could send a guy back after the playoffs and he might take out an entire roster!
Along those lines a serious question, when you enter the playoffs a team has to name 12 players eligible for each series. Is there any allowance for adding a D league guy if out of your 15 contracts you can't muster 12 healthy bodies?
We're not there yet, but has there ever been a situation in recent years where a team was down to less than 12 healthy bodies? And what is Daniels status?
I remember once in the late 60's early 70's that the Bullets got down to only having 7 or 8 healthy bodies when they were going up against the Knicks in the playoffs. I'm suprised guys aren't sitting on the bench with garlic and Voodoo dolls to ward off the dreaded curse!

Posted by: GM | April 16, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Les Curse can only be lifted when you cut the monster off at the head. And Les Head is Les Dishonest Abe. He needs to sell this franchise to Les Leonsis ASAP.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the land of the Make believe.

How about we return to reality and cut Mike Hall, has he played this year? And sign a PG to a 10 day contract. Hell bring Greg Anthoney back.

It was like watching a body without a head yesterday with the team struggling to replace AD. The team currently has ONE point guard on the team. And I understand with the typical amount of minutes Gilbert logs to go light on depth at this position but this should be address ASAP.

Posted by: dc | April 16, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Heck, if Navarro is done with being the MVP in Europe again, somebody tell Abe to cut a $500K check and get that dude over here quick! Heck, stop the plane in Russia and get him on that plane too! Somebody put an APB on Party John and get him there too! Somebody stop by Old Country Buffet and get James Lang here!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I would vote to add Brendan Haywood and Calvin Booth.

Posted by: Sean | April 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Guys - Michael was trying to have a bit of fun - don't take it so seriously. Obviously, and this doesn't need to be even said, but. . .this would never happen.

I'm with Yess - I'd take Paul and Brand. Covers the two biggest needs on the Wiz - defense and clutch scoring, as well as a real PG, and strong rebounding.

The thing that struck me about that list is how little talent is out there on the teams that didn't make the playoffs. Even with the "injured" guys (and Michael - this would be a great article for you to write - the whole tanking thing - it seems VERY excessive this year - don't know if writing about that sort of thing would get you blacklisted by Stern, but an in depth look at it would be very illuminating), you can build one maybe two good teams. The first team would be championship caliber - Paul, Redd, Allen, Brand, and Garnett, with Bibby, Wallace, Okafor, O'Neil and Gasol off the bench - but take those players off the board, and I don't think you could build a playoff team with what remains.

Sean - on your previous post - it was me at the 39.5 for the season - I was really sweating it out. BTW - I got that play in early - the final Wiz line when the season started was 40.5. That is probably a loser. Amazing how spot on Vegas always is.

I really want us to take at least one game in the playoffs.

Matchup wise we lose tiebreaker with NJ, and are up by one game. So if they go 2-0 and we go 1-1, say hello to the bulls.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | April 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I am shocked that no one has a reaction to the fact that Kirk Hinrich and Chris Duhon were out getting drunk at 1 in the morning on Saturday night before a big 1pm game the next day. No one cares? No one is incensed by the lack of respect? Are we really that much of a doormat? Unreal.

Posted by: The Governor | April 16, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Governor, welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, where what may seem an earthshaking piece of information to one person may not mean the proverbial "jack" to anyone else. Comes with the territory :)

Posted by: Mitch | April 16, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Governor,

Did you actually see them drink alcohol? Sometimes, these athlete types show up at bars, sip some spring water, and just chill. Their primarly purpose of hitting joints like those is to get a taste of the local fare, if you know what I mean.

If DC was a real tough guy town that cared, like Philly, those two Dukies would have missed the game the next day due to injuries sustained after hours.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Michael,

These guys are not in the playoffs:

Rick Mahorn
John Stockton

Those are my two picks. A little muscle and a solid point guard. Now, if AD comes back for the playoffs, I'd maybe go for Adrian Dantley. Or the Iceman. or Kiki. Hell, I'd settle for Tracy Murray and some Rap Snacks.

Posted by: the cheat | April 16, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I know Kirk is not a Dukie, but he acts like one.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Governor:
Given the current state of the team, rather than being offending by the opposing team getting hammered the night before, we should be encouraging it.

Posted by: Sean | April 16, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

have not read through all posts of the last few months so this may have been hashed out previously. Gil and Caron going down has a certain blessing in disguise element. It fully exposes what a horrible coach EJ is. Their talent had been holding him up, but this team craters when it loses one player (see earlier losses of AJ and Caron). While teams like Toronto and Chicago are getting connsistently better via ball movement, defense and development of young talent EJ just rides Gil and prays for the best. Team has stunning lapses during games and numerous multi-game streaks where they just don't show up. EJ is neither a good motivator nor a good game coach. Hopefully, this total collapse (not showing up has nothing to do with injuries) will allow EG to do what he should have done last year and get rid of EJ and bring in a coach who will maximize the talent the wiz have.

Posted by: crn | April 16, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The Gilbert Rules

""If I can't play, it's hard for me to even be around basketball," Arenas said.

Jordan said he has not spoken with his all-star guard since the night of the injury and has not requested that Arenas attend practices or games.

Butler, who has been out since injuring his hand on April 1, has attended practices and sat on the bench at home games, including yesterday's, when he enthusiastically supported his teammates throughout.

"Gil is Gil," Jordan said. "He's very, very different. There's nothing that we are making mandatory for him unless our front office, you know, has a different idea for him. I know how Gil is. We all know how Gil is. So, there's nothing mandatory for me.""

WTF?!?!?!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Hinrich and Duhon are grown men. Who cares how long they were out clubbing as long as they showed up the next day ready to play?

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Don't they do just that in Baseball?

Posted by: cwb3 | April 16, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I've been a big supporter of EJ, but I'm finally getting to the point wher I think he needs to move on. The Brendan Haywood fiasco is huge. At the beginning of the season (after regaining the starting spot), Brendan looked like he was poised to have the best season of his career. Instead, he has ended up pissed off and riding the pine. Nice player management, Eddie.

1) His rotations are inconsistent and ususally just plain weird.

2) The Princeton offense does not work well with our personnel. Like it or not, Gil is most suited to being a shoot-first, stop-and-pop guard, and the Wiz in general are most suited to being a fast-paced, run and gun team. The Princeton O, which emphasizes lots of ball movement, a slow developing offense, and which relies on a good passer/shooter in the post, just doesn't fit with this team.

Posted by: woof | April 16, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

So Kalorama, what would you say if that was Gilbert and Caron? The same thing? Right.

Posted by: The Governor | April 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Last I checked, Gilbert and Caron were grown men too. As long as they aren't getting arrested or into fights and show up at game time ready to play, how they spend their nights off isn't any of my (or your) business.

You do realize that this probably wasn't the first time in the history of pro sports that an athlete over the age of 21 went out to a club the night before a game on the road?

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't care either way if these professional athletes choose to stay home or hang out on their own free time, but two things happened not so long ago that reinforce the fact that players are better off staying home, both for their safety and for perception sake.

1) Sean Taylor gettin busted for DUI after going to Rod Gardner's b-day party at Dream.

2) MJ getting lambasted for gambling in AC right before a NY Knick playoff game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Governor,

It does look like Hinrich and Duhon were totally overlooking us....but I guess they felt confident. After all, we are missing Gil and Caron....lost 6 games straight and they probably heard about AD as well. They are a cocky bunch anyway and after what they did to the Knicks they have become fearless.

As much as it pains me, I actually see them winning the East.

Posted by: Lisa | April 16, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Not so long ago"?

That MJ gambling thing was 14 years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lee. I have a sense of humor, but when I come on these "blogs", I am looking to talk "real basketball". Not about things that will never happen. I can go into a chat room for that kind of stuff. But I appreciate what you are trying to do though. I hope there is no hard feelings.

I am just looking for some answers on why Haywood gets no minutes, and why Haywood, Blanche,Songalia, Mason and Taylor are not comiing into the game as a "unit".

You saw what they can do when they are in there together. Eddie didn't put that combo into the game until about 5 minutes left in the game.

That is our clearly our most athlectic, best rebounding, and defensive minded unit. Yet, EJ prefers to not put them together and put Ruffin in before Haywood. I don't get it????????

The more Eddie keeps pulling this kind of stuff the more people are going to start noticing it. I have noticed it since last year. What's the real deal, Mike? As Lisa said earlier, what the heck has Haywood done to "tick" Eddie off like that??

Posted by: mikie | April 16, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Skiles would let his guys out that late at night.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll take David Dupree and David Aldridge or any writer that doesn't show such open contempt for the home team.

Posted by: Fred | April 16, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If you ever watch FCP, Dupree has no "open comtempt" towards Les BouleS because to him, it's a forgone conclusion that they are a mess of a franchise.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Brendan looked like he was poised to have the best season of his career. Instead, he has ended up pissed off and riding the pine. Nice player management, Eddie."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

A nice story about a couple of "local boyus" made good.

I thought at the time that the Wiz were making a big mistake not giving Blake more run.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's a quote from Dupree about 2 weeks ago.

"Les BouleS will never beat (re: championship) the Heat or Cavaliers as long as DWade and LeBron are on those teams. Also, they will never beat the Pistons."

Looks to me like he might want to add Los Toros (da Bulls) to the list too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"You are seriously siding with Brendan in this entire mess? I think it's pretty obvious Haywood has aliented the entire locker room, coaching staff, and management, it's not just a problem with Eddie Jordan."

Beware, my nameless friend, this blog has many posters who are Brendan apologists. Basically, its everyone's fault BUT Brendan that he hasnt had a great season. Its especially EJ's fault.

And Kalorama, nice article about the Maryland duo. I would have love to have kept Blake and Dixon. But we took Daniels over Blake (good call in my opinion) and Dixon didnt want to be a role player. Great for them, but not a big F up by the Bullets FO in my opinion.

Posted by: the cheat | April 16, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

This is from the Blake/Dixon article referenced above:

"Wizards coach Eddie Jordan laments that a numbers game stifled Dixon and Blake in Washington.

"They are players with a lot of heart," Jordan said. "They are working from an undersized, underdog role. That's how they thrive. They're always out there trying to prove themselves.

"They had terrific careers here, I thought. But they were playing behind Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes. That is the way it goes.""

-------------------------------------------

I'm surprised conspiracy theorists haven't said that the reason why Les BouleS got rid of Dixon and Blake was because of Arenas. There's no way Arenas would be as popular as Dixon and Blake had they stayed with Les BouleS.

According to the article, Blake becomes a free agent after this season. If they don't think they'll get Navarro, a shoot first guard, they could sign Blake to run the show.

Here's a list of former Les BouleS players that could easily beat our "new team."

Center: Ben Wallace
PF: Rasheed, CWebb
SF: Jerry Stackhouse, Rip Hamilton
SG: Larry Hughes, Dixon
PG: Blake, McInnis

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Cheat, I don't think replacing Blake with Daniels was a mistake (and I really don't think Dixon was any great loss, quite frankly). But I thought that, while Blake was here, they should have used him more. Esp. given that he would appear to be just the kind of PG Jordan liked, a playmaking, pass first, second, and third guy. He and Arenas could have easily played well together, just as he meshes with Anthony and Iverson in Denver.

And I love it when people list all of the players who got away and lament "what if?" Get over it. It's not like they could have kept all of those guys, so that "team" is a figment of the imagination.

Stack has rehabilitated his image nicely in Dallas, but he was a locker room cancer in D.C. And since leaving the Wizards, Jeff McInnis has proven himself to be nothing but more trouble than he's worth, having pissed, moaned, and groused himself into the doghouse and out of the rotation of every team he's played for.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind the good players that have left, as you can't get it back, but at least you have to get something good in return, not garbage or a whole lotta nothing.

Garbage:

Mitch Richmond
Rod Strickland
Ike Austin
Larry Hughes: No compensation
Jared Jeffries: No compensation
Blake: No compensation

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Rod Strickland was hardly "garbage." In fact, for some of his time in D.C., Strickland was a top 10 PG in the NBA, probably the best of his generation never to play in an All-Star game. Yeah, he turned out to be a headcase later on, but they squeezed as much out his considerable talent as they could by then.

They used the cap space created by not ridiculously overpaying Hughes to acquire Antonio Daniels.

Blake was a second round pick making about $1 mill/yr. He had no Bird rights and left as a FA. There's no real "compensation" to be had in a situation like that.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

And the cap/luxury tax clearance they got from not overpaying Hughes also went into signing Butler to a 5-year extension not long after they traded for him.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Josh Smith from the Hawks, (have you seen how he been playing lately) to replace Caron Butler he'll get the steals and points like Caron plus he'll get the blocks as well.

And Pau Gasol to replace Haywood (haha) the Grizzles changed there style of play to run and gun to so I guess he would fit right in plus he would have to the height and size to match up against Wallace (either one) Shaq (well maybe not the size) Big Z and Chris Bosh. I like Elton brand the guy is a monster but he's like Jamison height...

OH but who am I kidding... we can still dream can't we.

Posted by: Jeff | April 16, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I just think it's sad we have to end up with what left?? Our humour.... It has been hard to be a Wizards' fan this year (once again) and honestly I won't say I never thought this would end up like that but at least I was hoping. Now what we got?? We gotta joke cuz it's the only thing left... I don't care I'll support them to the end and not crack lil jokes like this which ain't bringing anything but another sign of what the Wiz are making people think. I know you'll remind me the score of yesterday's game, but I've seen the game, I even find the force to watch it 'til the last second... I'm just hoping the Verizon center won't be empty or full of haters.

P.S: This ain't no hatefull message Ivan and Michael, I love this blog, read every articles, thank's by the way for your work, I'm just pissed right now cuz of this season ending...

Posted by: Mehdi | April 16, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Poor Kalorama, what you really don't know.
Rod Strickland was chronically before the courts for drunk and disorderly. Wiz finally got tired of the bad press and having to pick his sorry behind up from jail or court.

Uh before you start your "he's a grown man" speil..Everyone is fully aware.

Only he didn't know it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Despite the positives coming out of Rod's play when he actually played, the last thing this franchise needed was a player who came in with a questionable attitude and priorities. Getting arrested, fighting with Tracy Murray, eating dogs before games, etc, etc. That's if you don't care about the image of the franchise. Yup, that talent took us far enough to challege Les Bulls against MJ and lost in the first round and did nothing after that.

Hmm, with Hughes, if you're going to lowball him, you might as well have traded him to begin with. Les BouleS position that they were going to do everything they could to retain him, but then end up lowballing him, reminded many of the Juwan debacle. Another franchise black eye. AD has hardly made an impact here, and early in that season, people were calling for AD's head.

Blake, another case of letting a good player go without letting him prove himself. Now, Les BouleS are stuck with having Arenas run the POINT GUARD duties, which is a joke.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I don't respond to criticisms from anyone who's too big of a chickens--t to sign his name (even a fake one) to them. Man up and take ownership of your words and maybe we can talk.

DC:

Posted by: kaloram | April 16, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Michael as always - you keep it interesting. This time its hilarious!!

You're beggin folks to keep it lite!!!LOL

Sorry Miguel, LOL, LOL!! Everybody's jaws are tighter than a rottweiller's clamped around Eddie Jordan's leg. I'm waiting for a dummy ablaze with Eddie Jordan's head to get paraded past Verizon center any day now. LOL,LOL, LOL!!!

I'd also take Brand and either Mike Bibby or Kidd(can't remember if he's out)

As D.C says ya gotta laugh.

Posted by: Robin | April 16, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

to the dcman - true it is. Gil's actually fine mobile even. But no love for Wiz.

Read this by Dan Steinberg-

Oh, and he completely sells out his teammates, in public. Like this:

I try to watch the good parts [of Wiz games] ... so I won't watch the last four or five minutes. I'll watch the good part of the game.
Not to make too much of this, but Caron Butler is visibly wrenching his body in misery, courtside, exhorting his teammates on while the Wizards are losing these games, and Gil can't even bother to watch the end on TV? Because he's gotta watch another X-Men movie? I've supported this goof through virtually everything, on the theory that sports are entertainment and all entertainment is better than no entertainment, but that kinda turns even my stomach.By Dan Steinberg

Man talk about kickin a man when he's down.

Posted by: steve | April 16, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"No one's denying Rod's issues. It'd be impossible to. But as a player, he was damn good and played well for the team. Thus, he hardly qualifies as "garbage," unless you're totally discounting his value to the team on the floor (which was considerable) and only giving weight to his personal issues.

Of course, if that's what you're doing, it calls into obvious question your earlier pining for the likes of Stackhouse, McInnis, and Webber, talenmted players with their own (and several other people's) share of issues."

I thought Rod was a heckuva player when he was here. Always backed his man down low for a good shot, and never ever missed a layup while driving. He got a lot of respect from his peers. Problem was, he wasn't a team player and never looked to pass. He is garbage meaning Les BouleS gave him up for Rasheed Wallace, who was also a head case, but ended up helping a team win a championship. Les BouleS did nto exercise enough patience with Rasheed, or didn't get him the verteran leadership to put him in check.

Wasn't really pining for Stackhouse. I just put together a team of past Les BouleS that could easily beat our current "new team." Nothing more complicated than that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

How's that for a name? Happy now?

Kalorama, you have no idea therefore we don't need to talk.

In case you hadn't noticed - this is a blog.

so you like garbage players. Get a team and you pay him. see how much fun that is.

Posted by: florida ave grill | April 16, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

I'm glad the backlash is starting. I saw the gimmick all along, and now some are starting to realize it. But, if you read EJ's comments today, he gets a bye from the coach, so he's untouchable, and management won't touch that either, since they're worried he might leave.
Here's my post from above:

-------------------------------------------

The Gilbert Rules

""If I can't play, it's hard for me to even be around basketball," Arenas said.

WTF?!?!?!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 11:17 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Problem was, he wasn't a team player and never looked to pass."

Well, that's pure nonsense. In five seasons with the Wiz, Strickland was one of the top assist men in the NBA, averaging just under 9 apg over all (just under 10 apg in his first 3 seasons in D.C.).

"...Rasheed Wallace, who was also a head case, but ended up helping a team win a championship."

Yeah, 8 years later. A team with 3 recent or soon-to-be all-stars, a multiple DPOY award winner, and a HoF coach.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Kalorama, you have no idea therefore we don't need to talk."

Since you seem capable of only talking nonsense unsupported by facts and pointless, infantile insults, I would agree.

"In case you hadn't noticed - this is a blog."

Yeah and we all know that people don't talk on the Internet. Oh, wait a minute ... and what was your point?

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If you consider dumping the ball down low for Cwebb or Juwan to make a one on one move an assist, then good for you. When I think of assists, I think of Stockton and JKidd type of assists.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The NBA considers it an assist, that's good enough for me. And he was near to top of the league in dishing them out during his first few years in D.C. If you

And I can only assume you rarely, if ever, actually watched Strickland or Webber play. Because Strickland was one of the best in his day at penetrating and getting into the lane, and down low one-on-one moves were few and far between for Webber, who fell deeply in love with the jump shot during his Wiz days.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go with Kalorama re. Strickland's ability to penetrate and either finish or get the ball to someone who would. He was fun to watch, and it looked like his teammates liked playing with him because he got them involved. However, he was MOD -- missing on defense.

Posted by: dzl | April 16, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Re. Woof's "The biggest two things that can't be ignored when it comes to EJ, though, are these:

1) His rotations are inconsistent and ususally just plain weird."

Yesterday when the Wiz were down by dozens, EJ inserts Ruffin! I'm not a Ruffin disser; I like what he brings to a limited role. But scoring points by any means -- such as 2-foot jumpers, put-backs, foul shots -- is not his strenght.

Posted by: dzl | April 16, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Mike it doesn't look like you can get any
ones attention on this blog man. They're all cryin in their cups. One guy mad about 2 Bulls players - one chasin a washed up bullet - the others still cryin for Gil

you got a few live ones in there

What a pitiful group if they aren't winning. Our lives should be more than a basketball game and our minds should be able to comprehend more than one team.

I like elton brand - Derek Fisher,(The old Laker tho he's getting old)& Jason Kidd

sorry didn't give it too much thought but loved your article.

Posted by: Rob | April 16, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, if it makes you feel better that you think Rod is such an assist man, then I'm all for it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Rod Strickland story. I was at 1223 on a Saturday night and I look to my right and in the corner, wearing a purple suit looking like the Joker, was Rod Strickland. I roll up to him and go "Rod, you're our leader, we need you." He takes a sip of bourbon and looks at me with his glassy, buddah-induced eyes and goes "Yup." He was rolling completely solo with no posse, just standing next to some girls hoping they would talk to him. He was sooo drunk. For some reason, I loved that moment.

Posted by: The Governor | April 16, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

FYI-Kwame Brown lives in an apartment in LA with his four girlfriends. Fact. Four. Yes. This is true.

Posted by: The Governor | April 16, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

And, yet again, DC, the illogical extremes to which you will go to trash the Wizards are on stark and contradictory display.

So, to summarize ... Strickland "didn't look to pass the ball" despite the fact that he was one of the league leaders in assists, and he was "garbage" because, according to you, all he did was "dump the ball down low" into two all-star big men who routinely scored in double figures. Meanwhile, Gilbert is a "ball hog" who "doesn't make his teammates better" because (to reference one of your favorite example from past anti-Wiz rants) he refuses to dump the ball down low to Haywood who's never averaged in double figures once in his 6 year career.

Great stuff. Classic.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

This is the dumbest article I've ever read. I guess it's trying to be funny. Micheal Lee on this supposed Wizard blog never writes about the Wizards, when I see the subject is about Kobe or the Heat etc I don't even have to get to the bottom to see who wrote it. Now he finally writes about our team and it's this garbage. Thanks.

Posted by: Darnell | April 17, 2007 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for spotlighting the hypocrisy kalorama.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 17, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

If a player or player's collided with him going for a loose ball, just how stupid would people be calling the Wiz then? Risking your franchise player to injury, on the bench after a surgery for moral support, when a playoff spot is clinched?
I'm very frustrated with this stretch of injuries that this team has been through this year. When you look at the time Songalia, Jamison, Butler, and Arenas have missed 1/2 of our top 8 players have missed big chunks of the year.
I'm still confident that EG will continue to put the pcs. in place to build this team. The so called curse came about when year after year the Bullets/Wiz made risky or questionable moves hoping to grab a golden bullet and time after time they blew up in their face. Some were just bad luck, others can be second quessed from now to the cows come home and it change a thing.
But since he's been here, I can't say that EG has made one move that I wouldn't agree with when it's looked at in the context of the salary cap and retaining flexibility to get us to the next level.

Posted by: GM | April 17, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey Templeton, Kalorama please give it a rest. Before it was DCman88 - he's funny, cool and on the money but enough with you 2 already.

M. Lee always writes interesting and challenging articles not only about Wizards but all the NBA. Whats with you guys? You're so stilted & focused on Arenas like some women or groupies you can't think of anything else. Whats happening between you 2 and Arenas?

Any comment made no matter what it is or who says it - has to run through your "gilbert filters" then Geo has to make some sarcatic, whiny comments
"Everybody blames Gilbert." (Why oh Why?) Or "here we go again, I guess this is Gilbert's fault" EVERYTIME!!
Now, you've joined the chorus.
What is it? A crush perhaps? Good Grief!
He isn't even playing in the NBA now & still you two attack anyone who even mentions his name Yet he could care less about his own team?

That's the hypocracy.

Posted by: Phillie | April 17, 2007 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Kalorama,

You're really beating a dead horse. To me, Rod is garbage because of what he did on the court was pretty much cancelled out with what he did off the court. He was an embarrassment and made this team a laughing stock. Now, if you want to say that he averaged 9 assists and all should be forgiven, then good for you. It's your prerogative.

"The one I liked best was that this was all Gilbert's fault for going out and averaging nearly 30 points a game and getting us all the wins in Dec. and Jan. and covering up this teams flaws.
In the last blog he posed a question about Gilbert's injury that I answered and he ignored, then he came on here again today chiding Gilbert for not being on the bench. But I'll say it again, when has anyone seen a player on an NBA bench in a knee immbolizer?"

GM, I hope you weren't referring to me, because I couldn't care less about Gilby being on the bench or not. It really didn't dawn on me that it was an issue until Ivan and Steinberg brought it to everyone's attention and have a gripe about it.

Kudos to Caron for his efforts, as the report now is he's going to try to make it back for the playoffs. Caron is clearly the antithesis to Gilby's idiocracy, and is a great teammate.

Oh yeah, it's clearly obvious that Gilby's ability to score a lot of points covered up the team's flaws. Now if he learns how to act like a real point guard, then maybe he can get his teammates more involved. Clearly, Gilby can't win without Caron in the lineup. He needs that crutch. Very true.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

"gilbert filters" "yet he could care less about his own team"
Based on what exactly? Haven't heard any of that coming out of the Wiz lockerroom.
So he hasn't watched a game from the bench, I watch alot of NBA basketball and I've never seen a player on the bench shortly after knee surgery. Never ever seen a guy in an immbobilizer sit on an NBA bench for obvious reasons.
Most guys out for the year with surgery go home.Check it out. You get on Kalorama and George for defending Gil then you take another shot at Gil in the last sentence. Now that's hypocracy!

Posted by: GM | April 17, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Well I guess Ivan should answer my question about players on NBA benches in an immobilizer. This whole line of conversation seems pretty lame to me having had knee surgery.
But I having seen Steinberg on Comcast, now there's a guy that looks like a serious athlete. I'm sure he can speak as an expert on how to battle through serious injuries, like say a puncture wound from a paper clip or a paper cut.
This is what the blog world has brought us to. These guys have to have something to say everyday if it makes sense or not. And quite often much of what they are saying is tongue in cheek or sarcastic humor. Listen to them live and you get a sense of their dry humor.
But it gets read and re-typed and put in another context. And all of the sudden we have a rift on the team, like about a month ago someone on this blog went on for days about Gilbert and Stevenson weren't speaking. How did that rift on the team turn out anyway?
We seem to wast alot of time on this kind of stuff. You know what I'd really like to know right now is exactly what's going on from an organizational point of view with Brendan Haywood? Has this reached a Kwame Brown type of thing? Is he as good as gone?
And by the way what is Daniels status?

Posted by: GM | April 17, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

To give credit, where credit is due. Recall during the ill fated West Coast road trip where Caron was out because of his bad back after stuck on a bus and plane for X hours. This guy is such a team player that he REALLY wanted to fly out West and support his teammates even though he couldn't play, but was nixed by management. Since when did you ever see a guy with a bad back volunteer to fly across country in coach (6'7" guy) to sit on a d@mn bench to cheer his teammates on? Never.

The last time I saw someone with a bad back still hanging around was Larry Bird, who laid on his belly while he wasn't on the court to play. This was towards the twilight of his career, and we know how dedicated and no-nonsense Larry Joe Bird was.

Now, I'm not harping on the fact that Gilby ain't sitting on a bench cheering for his teammates, but Caron is clearly trying to go above and beyond. Kudos again to Caron, the glue to this fragile franchise.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I agree Caron is going above and beyound, But we are looking at two completly different injures. Caron's saying the cast will come off in a week and he's been working out in anticpation of playing in the playoffs.
Not one person has offered any hope that no matter what Gil does he can be back this year. You're the person that brought this up here, please explain what he should be doing differently to support the team. And please remember, there is a period of time after knee(well any major surgery) that you are forbidden to fly. And that for the first two weeks you're supposed to keep the knee above the heart and ice it. So just EXACTLY what should he be doing? And I'd really love to hear from Ivan or Steinberg on that one too. You know when you're hurt, you're hurt and this other carping is plain pointless.
And by the way since you brought this up too. How did that Stevenson Vs. Gilbert team spliting fued work out?

Posted by: GM | April 17, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

My above and beyond kudos to Caron was not only for his broken hand, but moreso for him volunteering to go out west even though he had a bad back, which was nixed by management. This, a bad back, is more in line with being crippling like a knee injury. You can't even walk with a bad back, but you can limp with a bum knee. I even recall how you remarked how it would be possible for him to get on a plane and go out west given that you have a bad back also.

I personally think Gilby was better off staying home rather than showing up and then going home. As I said, I really didn't care until Ivan and Dick brought iit up.

As I said tongue in cheek, I'm surprised Gilby hasn't tried to use his knee injury as a marketing gimmick to continue his self promotion. I would imagine him showing up at Verizon with a ferrari decked out wheelchair and signing free jerseys or throwing out t-shirts. It'd be more of a kick for the fans than watching their home team getting blown the F out by 33 points. I mean, dude can show up in a wheel chair you know, even if he can't walk. How about a Ferrari gurney to "keep his knee about his heart?"

Oh, I don't recall saying Arenas and DS were fueding, but whatever DS was doing indicated to me that he may have been jealous. I mean, the dude was challenging Gilby in a shooting contest, bragged in Gilby's face that he's Mr. Fifty and don't talk to no one who ain't shooting above .500, is coming up with a gimmick where he puts his hands on his face everytime he makes a shot, got his women on courtside seats wearing his shirts, and is giving away stupid t-shirts that say he can't "feel his face."

To me, it's not a feud, but to me, it's surprising, although weak, attempt at oneupsmanship that you would not expect someone to challege the hot dog on the team. I don't think Gilby likes to share the limelight with anyone, and it's likely DS will be shown the door come the offseason. I mean, they cleared out Kwame, Larry, Juan, and Blake so that Gilby could have all the limelight to himself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas is the best thing to happen to this franchise since "The Pearl".
This team was below mediocre in games where Arenas scored less than 25 ponts.
He obviously allowed AJ to find open shots. His penetration was the only opportunity for the inside game to reach the basket, as not one of the "BIGS" has the skills to create their own shots.
I love Caron, but he was no where near the player he was after the All Star Game. He started going more one one one, and the offense breaks down, when any one other than Gilbert dribbles excessively. Caron was most effective in picking his spots and making great decisions before the ASG.
The real problem with this team, which I have consistently stated this year, is EJ and Honest Abe.
EJ is clueless and has not been stellar in dealing with personnel and or team discipline situations.
We forget the animosity created between Gilbert and Kwame, also between EJ and Kwame.
Now we have the continuing saga of BH and ET and EJ. These are matters for a leadership coach to address and be done with it, one way or another. But nothing is ever resolved.
EJ's personnel choices are beyond explanation.
How about JJ as the 2 guard...geeesh, he can't make a layup let alone an outside shot, thankfully he is now the Knicks very expensive problem.
Ruffin is a development league player at best, and yet he is on the court, when AB and AS should have the court time.
That ridiculous "Princeton Offense, wherein we obligatorily make 3 passes outside before we get into any offense is a joke.
Ande the defense, the defense...please...there is none...no rotations, just passive jumping out and than running around to find someone to guard...it is all pathetic, and EJ is the incompetent reason.
But like I have said he is now a "lifer" like Unseld and other adopted children of Honest Abe before him.
Until there is a change at the top, we will have to continue to enjoy the small pleasures of Gilbert and Caron without any long term "big" possibilities.

Posted by: MRICKLEN | April 17, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Again, Whats up with these guys "arguing and "fighting" to defend this guy?
K -man can't believe you're in this love fest thing man. respect your posts-sharp bBall wise but this idocy? the dude ain't playin - why the comments?

I am convinced GM & Geo have a "thing" for gilbert. Its ok fellas, I understand - You're probably wearing his "Tee" right now. But sorry, he is irrelevant in case you guys hadn't noticed. The team is 39-39 below last yr.

And GM, in case you don't read - Amare Stoudemire - after major Surgery - both knees. traveled with Suns every game. Jamison sat courtside in his suite. Wade & his shouldar - with his team, Jefferson - with his team. There are lots more but its your love for GA that clouds your minds.

This guy is and has been walkin around. Makin deals & appearances at ESPN, NY, various dinners oh & yes his 1 appearance at verizon center. He's still promoting himself and yes, as someone else intelligently posted:
"They're scared he'll leave" so they let him do what he wants. And it aint about the Wiz.

Eubie Brown, Ivan, Winter and the other announcer mentioned his lack of support for his team on the air publically. Steinberg who as he stated supported this "goof" said his attitude sickened his stomach.

I & apparently everyone on here is supporting those who rise with or go down with the ship - sink or swim.

I know its painful for your guys but enough about gilbert already. Can we talk about basketball?

Posted by: Phillie | April 17, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"Too bad the "best thing to happen to the franchise..." moniker doesn't amount to a hill of beans when the team goes one and done in the playoffs for 3 seasons and limps towards the playoffs this season. I'd take playoff progress and championships over these meaningless labels any day."

DC Man,

To those of us with long memories, 3 straight trips to the playoffs is progress. Before the Bulls series, the Wizards hadnt won a playoff game since 1988. They hadnt been in the playoff since 1997.

If Caron and Gilbert hadnt gone down injured and the Wizards still lost in the opening round, then I'd be pissed. And if the Wizards dont make the playoffs next year (or are knocked out in the first round) then I'll be pissed.

Maybe I'm more patient than the average blog reader/poster, but I've been watching this team since the early 80s (playoff futility is 83-87 or whatever - 4/5 straight first round playoff defeats) and I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet.

Posted by: the cheat | April 17, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Two years ago we beat the Bulls and advanced to the second round, last year we lost 3 games to Cleveland at the buzzer in what many around the league thought was one of the more entertaining duels.
And this year hasn't been played yet, if Caron does battle back and Daniels gets healthy I'm not ready to write the Wiz off. Especially if they pull the Rapters, these guys have got to see if they can get a win tonight to stay ahead of the Nets.
If they slip to 7th then I'll be more inclined to throw in the towel.
You don't remember alot of what you say, but remember you're not saying it you're typing it. Watching you state one thing and then three posts later taking the exact opposite view with another poster does keep things amusing!

Posted by: GM | April 17, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I recall that many, including I, complained that last season was a regression because the previous year, we had advanced to the 2nd round, but last year, Gilby choked, so Les BouleS didn't beat the Cavs. This year is a regression of sorts also, injuries or not, because Les BouleS have been on a downward spiral since right before ASW, and that's with Gilby in the lineup.

I think the biggest problem with some fans being fat and happy about this so called "progress" is that others think the team can be so much better for a number of factors, including ownership being stingy and coaching staff being incompetent or players being too self centered.

Hmm, if you can point out a clear example (via quotes) of how I pointed out one thing and backtracked, then I'd be happy to explain. Don't make an accusation without proof. I always use quotes and data when I present an argument.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"I still don't understand why people can't comprehend my outrage about Hinrich and Duhon. It wasn't an off night. Whatever."

Judging by the results of the game, it didn't seem to effect them much. I guess by your standards they should have been in church Sunday morning instead. hahaha

Posted by: dc | April 17, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Lucky for Les BouleS that Hinrich and Duhon were out, otherwise, it might have been an even worse blow out. Skiles would have had to sit his starters after the 1st quarter!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

A little perspective from someone who's been there:

So the Wizards are done?

It's a team with only one piece of its puzzle, Antawn Jamison. They are a professional team and they will give it their best. But what we have to remember is that these are role players fillng the gaps. And if their role players were good enough to be starters, then they would be starters in this league already. Simple as that.

Posted by: kalorama | April 17, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Les BouleS have been done since 30 games ago. I said to stick a fork in them a long time ago. In case no one has noticed, AJ, the silent leader, has been MIA these past few games since the other two stars have been out. Instead of getting on AB's case about the second bus, AJ should make sure he didn't leave his own game at the motel.

Chicago, AJ 3-12, 5 rebs
Atlanta, AJ 1-7, 6 rebs
Miami, 4-11, 5 rebs

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Where's Ivan with a new "blog"....???

Posted by: mikie | April 17, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is turing on each other!

I can't wait until the draft in 10 days. If the skins make a couple of silly moves, I suspect the WaPo servers crash and DC burns down.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 17, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If they were afraid of Gil getting injured sitting on the bench (as far-fetched as that would be) he could sit in the second or third row.

Come on guys (GM and others) his behavior has been a total disgrace. When you close your eyes to the obvious you lose credibility.

Boy, it sure has been all downhill since that "birthday bash," hasn't it? A bash that, by the way, cost the team a game when guys weren't ready to play the next game.

Posted by: Mitch | April 17, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

...and Mitch, that game was: a Sunday matinee at Toronto!

How different would things be if the Wizards had closed out three or four of those close losses:

@OKC
vs. the Nets last week @ VC
@ATL when they were down to Zaza (Zsa Zsa?), the cleaning crew and a couple D-league castaways
vs. Charlotte on the 2nd night of that back-to-back.

EG: Whichever players you move in the offseason, can we PLEASE get some tough guys in the Charles Oakley/Rip Hamilton/Larry Hughes (pre-free agency)/Caron Butler mold, no matter the position they play? We got too much Hollywood and not enough grit.

Posted by: iceberg | April 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree with some of the other posters...Where is an article on Eddie Jordan's lack of coaching skills? This article is way off topic and I feel this space could be better used adressing EJ and his substitution patterns.

Posted by: Berg | April 17, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Everybody read steinberg's sports bog today. He's digging for Gilby info from Caron.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert not sitting on the bench is pretty meaningless. If it was a cruicial concern, they'd require him to do it. They aren't. And it's not uncommon for players with injuries that require rehab (and his does) following surgery to skip the games and work on actually recovering. Caron can sit on the bench because, until the cast comes off, he can't do any rehabbing. Much ado about nothing.

Posted by: kalorama | April 17, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Phillie, I'd be happy to talk about basketball, but obviously all you want to do is rip Gilbert for whatever you rip him for and make whatever personal attacks on those who disagree with you. Of course I could bring up your inability to spell hypocrisy, but that has nothing to do with anything.
The reason I defend Gilbert is because he is the franchise player that has been an integral part of overturning the losing culture and making this a playoff team. And for that I am appreciative. Are we as far as we need or want to be, no. To blame Gilbert for that is ridiculous, because it will be difficult to get to that next step without him (unless you all have a good deal in mind).
Now to the Amare Stoudemire part of this argument over nothing. First if I am not mistaken Stoudemire's micro-fracture surgery took place in the summer before the 05-06 season. If that is the case then he would have been far enough along in his recovery to be able to travel with the team and sit on the bench. Quite a difference between that situation and this one. By the way you all forget that Suns rushed Stoudemire back needlessly and he re-injured his knee, putting his career in jeopardy. Given some of the rhetoric heard here, I assume you wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert's career put in the same kind of jeopardy.

Now to this statement by DCMan:
"I mean, they cleared out Kwame, Larry, Juan, and Blake so that Gilby could have all the limelight to himself."
That might be the most idiotic statement you have ever posted. Kwame's actions (recall how he clashed with Jordan) got him traded and given how highly we all think of Caron Butler, are you now saying the Wizards shouldn't have made that deal. I didn't think so. Dixon and Blake were let go so this team could sign Antonio Daniels. The merits of that move can be debated, the idea that Gilbert had something to do with it is ludicrous. Any evidence that Gilbert had them cleared out is nothing but a fantasy concocted in your mind. Larry Hughes, Cleveland's is paying him over $13 million a year. Are you telling us DCMan that you would pay Larry Hughes that much. Now remember if you say yes, that means you can't resign Caron and he goes after one year, is that what you really wanted. No, I don't think so.

Now if you guys want to talk about basketball and what happens on the floor and keeping the personal stuff out of it, fine. You want to talk about this crap, then we can.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 17, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Know what? EJ came here as a players coach, and the funny thing is he's burned a lot of bridges with his petty squabbling with his players.

Kwame's take on it was that Gilby is tight with the coach, and thus Gilby told EJ not to put Kwame in the game, which caused Kwame to threaten to slap the crap out of Arenas. Gilby is Mr. Look At Me Limelight, so I wouldn't put it past him.

Dixon and Blake were hometown heroes, and were beloved. Nobody got bigger cheers at the gym than Dixon.

I don't care what they decide or don't decide to pay Larry Hughes. What I don't want to hear is lip service from management about doing everything possible to retain a player, but the lowball him. That results in distrust in anything management says or does. They've done it time and time again with Juwan, Rex Chapman, Larry Hughes, etc.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Dixon and Blake left because they wanted to get more PT. The Wizards let them leave because Antonio Daniels was available and because they thought they'd have Hayes back healthy for the upcoming season.

Posted by: kalorama | April 17, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Larry played great here and was the only player to really be able to influence Gil positively; BUT he was injured a heck of a lot for a top-dollar player. So I consider it a close call, and my guess is that the consensus around the league is that he's overpaid now. But maybe he needed to be retained for the intangibles he brought.

I liked Larry's toughness. Much as I like Caron and I know he's tough, he doesn't have the kind of nasty streak that LH has. Gil, who wants to be loved by the whole world, needed Larry at his back to really get snarling and ripping into people. The two of them had some really good synergy.

Posted by: Mitch | April 17, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"So they should sign players based on how loudly the fans cheer for them, rather than how productive they are? Because, despite his hometown hero status, Dixon was not and is not anywhere close to being a vital must-have player. He's an undersized streak-shooting gunner who's a nice jolt of adrenaline when his shot's falling, but basically useless when it isn't."

So, what has AD done for you lately? Has he parlayed his championship experience into carrying the team with AJ during Gilby and Caron's absence? So I guess in your mind, AD is a vital must have player. One to keep the bench warm for Arenas less he throw an hissy fit to EJ and EJ's starts benching people left and right.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And, as usual, when preseneted with facts that undermine your argument, you attempt change the argument.

Of course, nothing I said could be construed as saying Daniels is irreplaceable. You said they let go of Dixon and Blake because of Gilbert's ego. I simply pointed out they let them go because they thought they would be replacing them with better players in Daniels and a healthy Hayes. Whether they were right in that assessment is, as always, a matter of opinion. The obvious (to most of us, anyway) point is that they let those two go for very legitimate and reasonable basketball reasons that had nothing to do with any fantasy/conspiracy theory you have about them demolishing the team to feed Gilbert's ego.

Posted by: kalorama | April 17, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

So why bother bringing AD's name into the argument? If you didn't bring his name into the argument, neither would I have. Gilby, with his ego, is a very jealous and insecure player. It's great that most fans out there are embracing Caron. It'll be funny to see Gilby throw a hissy fit and temper tantrum.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama's right. Blake & Dixon left because they had to play behind Arenas. Wanted more playing time. They liked Daniels because he has a ring and championship experience.

Topic just discussed on am 730 & 980

I don't think anyone thinks they should choose a player because of the roar of the crowd. thats a dead issue. no brainer there.

remeber now..LH was as injury prone as Bulter if not more.

Just remembered Butler had thumb issue last yr same time. hands are delicate for both these guys.

Posted by: Philie | April 17, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

You all are seriously upset that Brendan Haywood is not getting enough run? I realize he is on the team, but he is a scrub. Plain and simple. Remember, he gave Kwame Brown the scrub disease. He can't help it that he's a 7 foot scrub though. He has been stealing NBA money for too long just because he want to Carolina. The Wizards need to try to produce a center from the ground up like what happened with Ben Wallace. I'll take a 6-7 guy with heart and a nose for the ball over a big, soft, UNC scrub. Eric Montross, Serge Zwikker, Brendan Haywood....no difference...all UNC NBA scrubs. I have been watching Brendan Haywood since his high school days in Greensboro, NC. He was a scrub then, and a scrub now.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah the playoff dispersal draft is massively bad

Posted by: stick | April 17, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

HAVEN'T BEEN ON THIS SITE IN A BIT BUT
WHO IS THIS DUDE OBSESSED WITH ARENAS?
HEEOOOOOOOOW EVERY POST ITS JUST AGENT O.
SORRY MAN BUT LAST TIME I CHECKED YOUR PG AIN'T PLAYIN. PUT HIM IN YOUR FANTASY GAME. WE'RE TALKIN PLAYOFFS NOW.

Wiz strugglin right now but what's you guys thoughts on Chi-town or Cleveland as a matchup? Jamison took it to em tonite.

Posted by: #3wizfans | April 18, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse