Gilbert's MRI will determine status

Here's what I know about Agent Zero and the sprained left knee he suffered in the first quarter tonight: he's undergoing an MRI today and the results of said MRI will determine his status. He was not putting a ton of weight on that leg when he limped off and the medical types I know say that is not a good sign though it's way too early to guess how bad Gilbert's is.

Antawn Jamison missed 12 games with a grade two left knee sprain and Andray Blatche has already missed six games and is expected to miss at least five more with his own left knee sprain. Of the three, I would say that Blatche's looked the worst, Jamison's was next and Gilbert's was third but as I said up above, there's no idea to guess how bad it is yet.

Antawn: "The most important thing is getting the swelling down and going to work. I'm hoping it isn't as bad as mine; it didn't look that way."

Gilbert was not available to talk after the game and as of right now (10:41) he hasn't returned a call I made to him about 20 minutes ago. I'll update if I find out more. The Wiz magic number for clinching is one game following the Knicks' loss to Philly tonight.

By Ivan Carter  |  April 4, 2007; 10:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas out with sprained left knee
Next: Arenas Out 2-3 Months

Comments

Seems our season is over.....call me crazy but I don't believe we will even make the playoffs. Too many injuries and now Eddie appears to have lost the team. Where was Brendan tonight? Was he even dressed? And then benching Gilbert?

With the Wiz luck (or rather lack of luck) Gil will not play the rest of the season. And even though it seemed unlikely a week ago, I think Eddie will get fired.

Posted by: Rainmaker | April 4, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

i agree...EJ is outta here most likely!!!

Posted by: ghiul | April 4, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

well we clinch the playoffs with one win at this point, so bad as it is (and unfortunately I think), I'd think we will pull one out.

i hope gil is ok. if he isn't, I hope this isn't a full on knee injury, b/c you always lose something if that happens.

so off topic and somewhat insensitively, i can't help but mention that my season over under is 39.5. . . sigh.

Posted by: charles jones | April 4, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, if Gil is out I honestly cannot see us winning another game. It truly sucked to have Caron out but Gil too? The rest of the team played as hard as they could tonight (where the heck was Brendan) and still could not pull off a win at home. That speaks volumes. And Friday night we play the "Almighty Lebron" - so chalk that up to a 3rd straight loss.

Posted by: Rainmaker | April 5, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

dang dude, the knee. It was an hellafun season to follow my bullets.

Hope gil is ok, and caron and co get better in the offseason, maybe we can grab a couple good kids in the draft..

im feelin B.Rush from KU & Thad Young from GT. maybe a 2nd round flyer on the big baby glen davis...

Posted by: mikey five fingers | April 5, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, serious props to Ivan and Michael Lee...great job getting the scoop and good stories this year!

All the work and comedy made keeping up on the team a whole lot cooler for a dc transplant in socal. Even got a few laker/kobebean fans out here hooked on these insider blogs.

Posted by: mikey five fingers | April 5, 2007 1:17 AM | Report abuse

I look at this as a good thing. It's an overdue wakeup call to this team. Jorden burns up the Big Three and now there going down at the end and this with Wade coming back after all. Cool, isn't it? The wizards are going to get their a---s kicked in the playoffs so maybe they'll finally do something in this offseason to improve the team. I do not think Jorden is out the door because who is out there to replace him? Larry Brown? Now, if the Wizards struggle next season Jorden might not make it to the end of next year.And as far as Haywood, who cares. As long as he doesn't have to jump or move side to side he's okay, but Thomas has heart and Booth just puts up better #'s. Trade Haywood. Trade all players whose last name begins with Hay- How about Haywood, Hayes, Taylor, Mason,the first round pick and anyone else the Wizards can muster and trade them all to Minnesota for Garnett. Or grab Navarro and maybe Gasol will carp on Memphis to trade him to Washington. The wizards need a middle defender and this is why I don't understand Jordens love for Jarvis Hayes over Blatche when Blatche is healthy. I like Stevenson, but Butler is a wing guard and Jamison is a small forward snd Arenas has got to learn ball distribution. Iverson couldn't carry the 76's to a championship. You cannot do it with a small guard. They need a big guy. A J.O'Neal or Gasol or Garnett most of all. Every championship team has a talented biggie. Where's Miami without S. O'Neal? The Spurs without Duncan? The Suns without Stoudemire? Utah without Boozer? The Mav's without Nowitzki or Da Bulls without Wallace or Detroit without R. Wallace or even Webber? Huh? Well?? Where's our big guy? Well? Where? Huh? Anyone? We don't have one. Get it? Huh? Get it? So what the h-ll is everyone writing about all season? "Where's Haywood?Where's Haywood?" I guess he'll just have to keep his 4 rebounds and 6 points and use them for his PSP. A 7 footer who can't rebound or defend or shoot. That's your Haywood. A sulking marginally talented hack center Who has the agility of an alligator. He's to slow for the Iversons and Wades. To weak for the S. O'Neals and can't stop Nowitzki or Duncan because he can't jump. And he sulks! Goodbye.

Posted by: firemetalrat | April 5, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Interesting stat from last night's game: AD had 17 assists and 1 turnover. The team overall had 23 assists and 15 turns. In other words, the team excluding AD had 6 assists and 14 turns. Granted D-Song had an off game, but overall the above stats reflect that most of the guys on this team simply can't execute.

Posted by: Mitch | April 5, 2007 8:03 AM | Report abuse

i've been calling for more AD all year. But it's ridiculous to say we're better without Arenas. We probably will be swept first round of playoffs. Anyways, what AD'ss assists total shows is the importance of getting a true point guard in the offseason. for whatever reason, EJ never let ad play with gilbert. so he needs to get somebody who he will let play with him. Mike, Ivan, any word on whether EJ will let Brenda play again? We're gonna need his defense.

Posted by: ct fan | April 5, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Brendan didn't play b/c he's still in EJ's doghouse. He got PT against the Bobcats in Charlotte b/c Brendan had family in the stands, so EJ gave him 10 minutes.

Also, Brendan didn't get in b/c Etan was red hot. Not only was he scoring off easy setups by AJ, but he was knocking people on their butts. Many times, I saw GWall cringe after he was hammered driving to the hole. Etan also helped out on the weak side by blocking a few of GWall's shots after he drove on AJ. That's what I call defense, and what has been sorely lacking. The apologists will say otherwise, but if you can't play D, then put someone on the ground. That will make them think twice next time about driving on you. I think Etan was even assessed a flagrant foul, even though it looked clean.

My starting lineup:

PG: AD
SG: DS
SF: AJ
PF: Song
C: Etan

6th Man: AB (hopefully young guys heal quick)

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

EJ gets paid to win basketball games, not to discipline headcases. Frankly, if he can't manage or motivate his players well enough to get them to show up at shootarounds and play as hard as possible, that's a failing by EJ.

Fact of the matter is that, for all his failings, BTH is the best center we've got, period. Earlier in the season, after he was returned to the starting spot, he was playing better than I've ever seen him play. Then, inexplicably, Jordan started reducing his minutes.

Brendan did not respond well, and apparently EJ felt like he needed to send a message to his team by puting Brendan in the doghouse and freezing him out.

...but guess what, EJ doesn't get paid to teach manners classes, he gets paid to WIN BASKETBALL GAMES. Haywood has a bad attitude--boo fu*&ing hoo. Figure out how to motivate him and get his 7', 265 lb. ass off the bench and into the game. At the very least, allow him to put up some decent stats, keep the dirty laundry out of the media, and maintain his trade value. Seems like a better strategy than benching the (real) starting center as the team continues to get its ass handed to it night after night.

Posted by: woof | April 5, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I must say I have been pretty hard on Etan, and as I said before if I am wrong about something, I do not have a problem admitting it.

Wow, Etan showed me something yesterday. However, I am still concerned when he has to play against legit 7 footers. Still think there will be a problem there, but overall the dude did show a lot of energy and I have to give him and Eddie props(which I do not do that often) on the move.

I'm still in Haywood's corner because he can be still used in the "right" situations, so I hope Eddie recognizes that when we are playing Clevland, Miami and Orlando. I hope Eddie can put the personal stuff aside and throw Haywood some bones in those games against 7 footers.

As for Arenas, wow. He is the one person who can not have a knee injury because he depends on his legs so much. I guess D Taylor better get ready for some "run" because this is going to be his, Jarvis, Ruffin, and Mason's last auditiion if they want to stay Wizards next season.

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Know what? As the saying goes "desperate circumstances call for desperate measures..."

I think with Gilby out of the lineup, and AD showing his ability to pass, set up people, and use his veteran savvy, I hope EJ considers using Etan at the 4 and Brendan at the 5. Both guys will get their touches, and both guys will be happy. I just hope DS doesn't feel the need to try to be a superhero and carry the team while Gilby is out. DS tried that last night and bombed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

In the words of Nancy Kerrigan, "WHY!? WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!"

I can't believe this. Over the first 40-45 games, this team was playing like a Eastern Conference contender, and now, the Wizards are staring at a 6 or 7 seed with little to no real hope of winning a playoff game let alone a series. I will no go apply a cheese grater to my shins.

Posted by: Tuna | April 5, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"EJ's job is to coach the team, but he's partial to blame for people being PO'd about their PT because he's inconsistent with his lineup, and inconsistent with the PT, while granting a lot of slack to his favorite players and superstars. I'd much rather take BTH who's mad about not being in the game vs. someone like Kwame who's content doing nothing and collecting a paycheck." - DC Man88

DC Man 88 this is what I have been saying the last two years. I have never been a fan of Eddie's rotation patterns, but the man is still a good coach. I think maybe why his rotations are "all over the place" is because he does not have the bench that he "really wants".

EG sets the roster, and EJ works with it. I think if we are able to get OPEC here next year along with a Euro "5" with the 1st pick and a "ball hawk high energy defender with a little offense" in the 2nd round along with Blatche being signed longterm, you might see EJ call a better game.

We stood pat for two seasons at the trade deadline because EG said he was fine with the current roster. I am not sure EJ may have agreed with that. Maybe all of these injuries will now make EG re-visit the current roster.

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Mikie,

I don't know if you read a recent quote by EJ, but it spoke volumes. He mused to himself why this team can't get the players that other teams get, and was almost wishing upon a star. Then, he woke up and came back down to earth and was quoted as saying "he knows this team is on a tight budget and can't get all the players that they need, but that's fine."

Hmmm, if I was dishonest Abe, I'd be seething. I think if EJ had a better coaching option elsewhere, even in college, he might leave. Dude has had a lot of headaches on this team, a team with players that don't listen to the coach. Even Caron was quoted as saying "if we listen to the coach, we'll be fine."

Seems like based on your assessment, this dynamic between EG and EJ isn't working. Once again, Abe pulled a Daniel Snyder where he got the coach before the GM because he was desperate for some good PR after kicking MJ to the curb, then Abe had Wes Unseld draft Jarvis, and then Abe brought in EG and made EG sign EJ to an extension (according to Ivan). None of this makes sense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

DC Man88 - Yea you are right, but I still think this overall relationship between management and the coach can be salvaged with good additions to the roster next year.

With this current roster, after the starting 4 (not including the "5") Eddie has to "guess" at which guy is going to bring what this game. Here are the guys Eddie has a pretty good idea on what he is going to get night in and night out:

Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Stevenson and Songalia.

AD, Thomas and Blatche can't be put in the first group however they never do anything that "hurts" the team. ( I would put Haywood here also if he was to get 25 to 30 minutes a night because he is a slow starter most nights but gets better as the game goes on, but oops. forgot we never see it because at the 4:00 minute mark of every first quarter he gets benched, whether he is blowing it up or not, until a minute left in the 2nd quarter. He then starts the 3rd, comes out at the 6:00 minute mark and we do not see him again unless we are playing Shaq).

Jarves, D Taylor, Mason, Ruffin, and Booth is where EJ starts to have problems.

By having Booth, Thomas, Haywood, and Ruffin here on the same bench causes EJ problems. He tries to "ride" the hot hand from the 4 (however that does not apply to Haywood, that is personal).

EJ also wants to "make" minutes for Jarvis. It must had killed him to start Blatche over him when Butler first went down, but you noticed Blatche was on the same "rotation plan" as Haywood. No matter how good he did, he was coming out at the 4:00 minute mark too.

As I said before, I think the Blatche thing is about the contract he is about to get next year and the Wiz do not want him showing to much to other teams before they lock him up long term. The Haywoood thing is personal, from my viewpoint and the Jarvis thing is EJ is trying to give Jarvis every opportunity to earn a new contract but Jarvis is not taking advantage of it.

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I hope/expect this offseason:

Grunfeld better do some wheeling and dealing to get rid of the dead weight and bring in an impact player(s), get more athletic, and get some muscle inside that will lay the pine on anyone driving to the hole.

If EJ still loves Jarvis, he will have to deal with it with EG, b/c I seriously doubt EG wants to bring Jarvis back. Somebody is going to have to make this call.

Bring in a defensive coach, for real.

Consider sitting AJ for next season to be the sixth man in order to develop AB more. This team needs a scoring punch off the bench, and AJ was fine with that in Dallas.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If we get Juan Carlos, Oily, and maybe Veermeken (sp? last years 2nd rounder)and they turn out to be serviceable and crafty like garbosa (for juan) and songalia (for Oily), we should be just fine. Maybe gil and caron won't even have to play those ridiculous minutes that they did early in the season (read: at one point Wiz were only team with 3 people in top 15 in minutes per game)
Otherwise, I'm new to the wizards insider, is OPEC the accepted Pecherov name? I have a friend who says Oily... seems right: http://nbadraft.net/profiles/largepics/pecherov01.jpg.
OPEC sounds interesting, though.

Posted by: CreditZard | April 5, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

i'll b shocked if the wizards make it 2 the 2nd round of the playoffs. the real work begins during the offseason with Ernie Grunfield. let's assume the only guaranteed players returning next season r Gilbert, Caron & Songalia. Jamison is a free agent so he's not a guarantee 2 return. besides, do u pay top dollar 2 someone who can't play a lick of defense? can Ernie find a replacement n the 4 spot who can take up some of Jamison's scoring plus become somewhat of a major force down low? Etan, Blatche, Daniels and Stevenson should return, but only as the second rotation. Everybody else needs 2 b replace. If this team ever wants to advance 2 the eastern finals, Ernie is going 2 have 2 do some serious upgrading this summer? what about the 3 players we drafted that r oversees? i'm hearing a lot of positive comments about them, but what's their status 4 next year? can any of them bang on the boards, and/or play any defense? last, but definitely not least, the Wizards should try get a pure point guard & move Gilbert over to the 2 spot. Gilbert can always play both positions, but a pure point guard will make life easy for a team with great scorers-especially during crunch time.

Posted by: koolkatt007 | April 5, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I had yet to hear any nicknames at all for Oleksiy Pecherov, but I have to say, OPEC is a pretty great one. Another possibility would be "Sexy 'Leksiy"...

Posted by: Josh | April 5, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If AJ is really going to become a free agent after this season, I wonder if he's going to request max bankfunds because if he does, it will severely limit what Les BouleS can do as far as free agency. If it were me, I'd let him go and pick up Rashard Lewis. 6-10, more athletic than AJ, and plays some D.

Also, during sportstalk yesterday, they brought up the fact that Gilby will be a free agent in 2008. They said Gilby might walk if this team doesn't show it's committed to winning by bringing in the stallions. I would be shocked if Gilby takes less money to stay here, and he said himself he doesn't want to handicap a franchise by doing a KG max out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Antawn is in an option year next year. But it is his option. He can go if he wants, but he is slated for big money ($15m?) - definitely more money than he would command on the open market, so he is definitely sticking around.

Posted by: charles jones | April 5, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

word is gil's done for the season...i hope it's not true...

Posted by: WizFan | April 5, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think Gil's going to go after 08. I just have that feeling. After all the hype from his B-Day party and the All-Star weekend, the team hasn't been the same. Now they have all of these injuries happening during the most important part of the season. Not A Good Look!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad I didn't invest into those Wizards Playoff tickets yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Antawn is not a free agent until 2009 I believe. 2008 at the earliest. Gil has an option to be a free agent at the end of 2008. Gil has said in the past that he would take less $$ if helped the team to get another stud, but in all honesty, the Wiz will HAVE to give Gil the max contract.

I've been an EJ supporter up until this past week. Giving Haywood minutes over Booth in Charlotte because he has family in the stands is unforgivable. Benching Gilbert, and indirectly causing Arenas' injury because Gil was late to a shoot-around is also absurd. Maybe Gil had an honest excuse. Alas, the team's injuries will give EJ an excuse as to the reason for the team's horrible fade.

Posted by: Tuna | April 5, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a Gilby hater, yet I want to see him gone. It's a shame that such an amazing talent fails to be a team leader or team player. yet it's so common in the NBA. rather than step up when Butler got injured, Gilbert plays sulky prima donna and even gets himself benched for showing up late. I see no positive benefit from keeping him next season, especially with free agency looming and him predicting 60 point games for himself. They need a guard who can lead this team, even if it's someone less talented or less a 'superstar' than Arenas.

Posted by: joenat | April 5, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Trade Gilbert to the T-Wolves for Garnett!

I wonder if Arenas is posting on his blog today?

Posted by: 761-091 | April 5, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I cannot believe people want to get rid of Gil. . Gil is THE BEST thing to happen to the Wizards/Bullets in a quarter century. Jeeze, people. Have we all forgotten the game-winners? The interavtive openess with the fans? The desire to be the best by sleeping at the gym and taking thousands of shots a day? Gil isn't perfect, but he's the best player this team has had since "Three's Company" was the #1 show on TV.

However, I agree that this team CANNOT sit idle like they did last year. Songaila was a nice addition to the bench, but this team needs something more from the starting 5 defensively in the front court. Jamison can't do it. Neither Center cand do it. This is THE major change needed. Alas, I can't think of anyone who will be available. Trade Jamison and some baggage -the one true leader- for a better defender? Maybe. I don't know. I am sad.

Posted by: Tuna | April 5, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Two Things:

1. If Gilby is truly injured and won't be back, it'll be a sad ending to this season that was full of hope. But, one thing that's good is that Les BouleS was exposed for their many flaws based on their subpar play after the all star game. This team is in need of some major tinkering.

2. Did anyone see that fabulous PG play from Raymond Felton? He was really active, set up his guys, made steals, and even tried a few alley oops. He's a real, well schooled, pass first point guard who can shoot also. I think he'd be better if he lost about 15 lbs and got some more muscle.

Gerald Wallace looked almost unstoppable. He got hammered, but got up for more. The Herrminator, Walter Herrmann has got some serious skills. How did he escape Les BouleS radar? Every player on that Argentinian Olympic Roster should have been considered by EG. EG is wasting time on Russians. The hot area now is South America.

Okafor was pretty dominant, and he's a big guy too, and very active. Both Carroll and Morrisson are deep threats, and Brevin Knight is still a servicable 1 guard. So, when Le Bobcats get their lottery pick this offseason, and get Sean May (12pts, 7 rebs before injury) back, I see a team with much more upside than Les BouleS, especially if they can hire Larry Brown, or maybe MJ can convince George Karl (UNC alum) to leave the Nuggets.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Trade Gilbert stuff is ridiculous at this point.

Our bench would be sweet in the NBDL - I mean seriously.

EG needs to get some depth, we need a few more DS moves.

Oh yeah, and these guys need to start getting rebounds.

I don't think this team is full of chumps, but watching them is pretty painful. EJ has to take some of the blame, he might be a good coach, but he sure isn't a good leader if after year 2 they still aren't listening. Sounds like Norv Turner to me. Hopefully I'm wrong, I like EJ and hate NT.

At least we'll have a decent, albeit non lottery pick in this deep draft. Maybe we can get some muscle and some depth.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 5, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a stats maven, but when I watch basketball I useally find that stats the other guys quote here bear out what I think I'm seeing. I know this is not a good defensive team, but when I watch them play and watch other teams in the league, they're not as bad as many posters make them out to be.
Scoring defense is easy to minipulate with pace on offense. Slow down your pace and the other teams have less opportunity to score. Opponent shooting % is probably a better measure but doesn't tell the whole story.
I don't know if it is true statisticly, or was just one of those things you get told as a young guy to make you rebound? But I was always told that on second shots the shooting % goes up about 10%, third shots it goes up about another 10%.
Last night in the 4th when the Wiz needed a stop, on one possesion they gave up two offensive rebounds and on the next they gave up another and the Bobcats ended up scoring both times. Two trips down the floor, we stopped them 3 times but they ended up with two scores and three offensive rebounds.
I'd be interested, is there a place where the stats can be found of first shot shooting % vs. 2nd or 3rd? Do the Wizards track it? My eyes are telling me that the problems that we have been having are not so much defense as they are in defensive rebounding, boxing out, and failing to secure the ball. Think of the number of offensive rebounds we gave up on the West Coast trip.
It also makes me wonder if Jamison's knee is bothering him. If your knee hurts going inside and wrestling for position and bodying up hurts more than making moves in the open floor. He just doesn't look right to me.
Also in the 4th Daniels looked like he had the steal, we were off and running before he secured the ball. The Bobcats got it back and got an easy basket and half our guys were out running the break with no ball!
Thomas has played two good games and it was so good to see a couple of hard fouls at the rim. But when he is coming off of his man for blocks we're giving up weakside offensive rebounds. Gilbert got hurt trying to drop down for the weakside rebound, normally our gaurds are doing a pretty good job at helping with rebounding.
But without Butler we really lack a good positional rebounder in our front court. That is supposed to be a strength of Pecherov's game, but I think we need to take other steps to address it in our frontline this off season primarily at the center position.

Posted by: GM | April 5, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I can not believe I am seeing posts to let Gilbert go. Are you folks crazy or something. I have been watching the Bullets/Wizards since the late 1977 when I was in elementary school, and Gilbert is the best thing that has happened to the Wizards and me as a true fan.

As I have posted before, I was there with the Fat Lady Singing, The Beef Brothers, Gus Williams and Dan Roundtree (after their prime), the Kenny Green pick two slots before Karl Malone by GM Ferry, John "hotplate" Williams, The Fab two, Pollin's decision to change the whole dynamics of the college draft "slotting system" by lowballing JHoward, the Wizards forced ouster of John Nash because Susan O'Malley could not get along with him and Abe choose her over Nash, Wes Unseld and his missed picks along with trading CWebb for someone older and shorter after we had traded three #1 picks to get CWebb in the first place, trading R. Wallace for Rod "eat a hotdog before everygame" Strickland, MJ's arrival and excitement only to not get into the playoff's, MJ's departure and the Wiz then being called the laughing stock of the NBA, then the arrival of EJ and then EG, and guess what?????? The arrival of Gilbert Arenas. That is where everything changed.

For the folks who have not been long-time Bullet/Wizards fans and do not really know the history of this team and its numerous mishaps, you need to chill on those crazy comments about getting rid of Gil.

Look what he did for that young kid who lost his family in that fire years ago. He still is associated with that young man when that young kid needed some support. Look at what he is doing for the school system in the Metro area with his contributions.

Man, sometimes people (fans) don't know how to appreciate things until they are gone. Did anyone of you ever stop to think how you would be acting if your mother dropped you off in a crackhouse and left you there. Everyone needs their mother's attention, and you have to remember this guy never had it, so that may explain some of his self-promoting ways; but who cares about that. The dude is still the best thing that has happened to this franchise.

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"The man might desire a lot of attention, but guess what? At least he is not cocky about it. He explained himself in the NBA blog if you ever have time to read it. He is everyting a lot of superstars are not. He is accessable and he cares about his fans. - Mikie"

Yeah, until he wants you to steamroll someone's grandmother while trying to grab at his jersey.

"You know, I always dreamed about someone leaving a jersey on the court and having everybody run out and trample each other to get it; so I was trying to see if that would happen," Arenas said. "But I was the only person standing out there, so I was kind of disappointed."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

SWADAGGGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It is going to be hard to upgrade that bench. We are going to end up using most of the mid-level exception on DeShawn so all we have left will be part of the MLE (~ 2 mil maybe) and the LLE. At this point, although Navarro is a great player, I would package him with our first if we can move into the top 10 so we can Brewer, who has SG skills and is much better than DeShawn. Then, Grunfeld is going to have to scout some Euro FAs and find us a Calderon and a Garbojosa. He also needs to get us a bargain signing like an Udoka. Even if we stay at the 15 spot or whatever, we should still be in place to get Thornton or Batum.

Posted by: Bonz | April 5, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 - As you can see I am new to this blog (about 2 to 3 weeks in), and I have noticed how you "get into it" alot with some of the other bloggers about Gilbert.

From what I can see and read from some of your blogs when you keep it at "basketball" you seem to know something about the game.

However, I am at a lost on why you seem to hate Gil so much. Maybe you explained yourself before in prior blogs that I have not seen. So could you do me a favor and share with me why you seem to hate the man so much? Thanks...

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mikie,

First off, ask yourself whether the stuff that I've presented to you has been conjured up somehow, or is it based on fact. Do I not provide ample evidence and backup to support my arguments?

Given that, I was always a fan of Gilby as I bought into his story about his hard childhood. I felt bad for him. But, since the start of the season, the catepillar came out of his cocoon and out came a diva butterfly.

One that did a complete 180 on us and

* had his coming out party,

* his shameless self promotion,

* him bragging about his billboard in vegas,

* his cry that he wasn't getting endorsements,

* his cry that he was not recruited by a lot of colleges coming out of HS (nevermind the fact that he got a full ride with U. Arizona with Lute Olsen, a major power),

* him complaining about being told to play D because it takes away from his offense,

*him not shooting for the first half after someone called him a ballhog,

* him saying he prefers helter skelter over princeton offense,

* him participating in the all star weekend (3 point contest throws your shot off, and predicted that he was going for the MVP) even though he was injured instead of healing up for the second half of the season by taking a break like Steve Nash did,

* him placing his jersey on the ground and dreaming about people trampling each other to get at it,

* him predicting that he was going to score and get revenge on the coaches of the world basketball team and then flopping...willing to give up 1 NBA season to have a chance at Duke so he can score 80 pts. ok Coach K., etc., etc....

The list goes on and on. It seems to me like it was a gimmick. He sold us on his hard luck, but now he someone totally different. It's too funny, but I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Just to add on, I do not hate the cat. I just think what he's done since his "me against the world" promotional campaign has shown me that he's somewhat of a fraud. A lot of people here have been bamboozled, but not me.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 - I read your post, but for all the points you made I still think Gil was doing all of that in "jest" just to create some excitement. I take it like someone just talking a bunch of "junk" and having fun with it.

Now the only time I got upset with Gil was the game with Portland where he did not score well and he blamed it on EJ telling them they needed to play defense first and that is what threw his game off. Now that was not called for and I am pretty sure he learned his lesson off of that.

As for the party, voting for himself and etc., again that is stuff from his childhood rearing up where he wasn't shown any love. You can have your father in your life, but if you don't have that "mama's love" it will do something to you man.

All I am saying is try to give the "young dude" a little slack and read his NBA blog about some of the things he does and why he does it and you will see that the dude is pretty deep.

You have to love a guy who is in the NBA and is not scared to go down to Barry Farms with security and do his thing. I have cousins down there and the spot is no joke, so in this I am saying the man is just a fan who happens to be a NBA basketball player. That not a bad combination in my book.......

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure all of that is just BS, but his play shows us that he's an individualist who thrives on taking care of himself. I think he savors making the winning shot more than getting the win. All in all, I don't have time for his BS, and would much rather see him produce on the court. This second half of the season has been atrocious.

With a 1-4 West Coast Roadtrip, MIA in OT in the Toronto debacle, and getting blown out by the Bobcats at home, that shows me absolutely that he does not have what it takes yet to to be superstar that can elevate this team and will them to wins consistently. He wants to be on the Kobe, DWade, Shaq, etc. level, but no so fast young buck.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Mikie, you usually make good sense but now you're breakin my heart....come on now..that's GA's PR.I'm not a hater but truthfully -98 % of the players in the NBA have families w/issues. Arenas was actually fortunate. His story is not unusual and there was no crackhouse.

His mother did what most 19 yr old girls do..left baby Gily w/their mom. After 4 yrs, Moms called Gil, Sr. who finished college & said:"Heh, his mom's got drug probs. You gotta come get Gil, Jr."

Arenas dad graduted from college. He made sure Gil went to college as you all know..U.Arizona. How horrific is that?
How hard is life as a college ball player?
Gilbert just hates his mom cuz she's got drug issues but thats his issue. The rest is PR by him.

Sad? read about Amare Stoutemire's life. no dad,moms & bros drug issues all in jail even were when he was drafted. As a kid Amare avoided the truant officers by moving cty to cty - livin on the streets but put himself in school after school because he wanted to play ball. His mother? Amare loves her and couldn't wait to take care of her-bought her a car even tho he couldn't drive himself and won't let folks talk bad about her although - she just got locked up again. There are others w/more sad stories but GA isn't one. Anyway...back to the NBA...

amazing these guys played pretty descent D ball minus their 2 main players.
Lets see how it goes.

Posted by: NBA | April 5, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

NBA,

Losing your mom while young is very sad. Young kids need their moms more than their daddies. I hope GA reconciles with her.

Given that, another sad story is Juan Dixon, who lost his mom and father to AIDs and was raised by his brother. He wasn't heavily recruited either, but went to UMCP and was the MVP towards bringing the terps glory with their first NCAA championship. Do you see or hear Juan crying about this or using this to prop his marketing campagin? No. That's why the town loves him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 and NBA - I'll give you those points. But once again, it falls down to maturtiy, and Juan and Amare just happen to be more mature then Gil.

Both of those guys have closure with their situtions (Juan's parents died, and Amare has forgiven his mother).

However Gil does not have closure, becuause unlike Juan's situation, where death is unfortunally closure, Gil has not gotten to the point to forgive his mother like Amare has.

Something like that will weigh on you for a long time until you finally decide to face it head on and deal with it. To summarize, everyone handleds life and it's pressures differently, not making an excuse for the man but I was just trying to throw the "young dude" a life line.

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

It goes to show that immature people probably should be having babies with their babies mommas who are on the other coast all the while not getting along with her anyway. If he came from a broken home, he should at least know how hard it is for the kids, but he's gone and done it twice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't, not should.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

In Gilbert's defense, I don't believe there's another player that has ever played as many games and minutes as he has in a single year and not wanting to admit that he was hurt. No, I don't agree with EJ's couching strateies b/c he beats a good horse down But w/the exception of AD what's with the other guys, can you depend on them, or do they feel that EJ's gonna take them out regardless. I thought they played good last night, but why don't they play like that every time they're on the floor like Blatch (sp)and Taylor. The starters will get a sizeable lead and the bench lose it, happened in the early part of season to Orlando. You've got to believe that you can play as well as the starters if given a chance, those that show this are given the chance.

Maybe EJ saw something in AD that can help the starters as well as the team. I've never seen them play that well, but what happened, EJ broke up the flow and then try to rekindle it, no consistence. Especially with a completely new lineup.

But regardless of what may happen, no other teammate should laugh or make negative comments about his team or teammate (speaking of Friday's game) BH needs to take a close look at himself. Atawn was suspended for his action and came back and played hard or even harder to show that he is a team player. BH remember there's no "i" in team. There're no big "i" and little "U" this is team work. Things happen to everyone but they happen so you can learn and draw strength, not to be laughed at.

Posted by: Erma | April 5, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yo DC. Couldn't help it, but this is my last comment on this. You either do the exact same thing you saw growing up or you do the complete opposite. It is all about the choice you make. Hopefully, Gil will see the light and marry the young lady and become a whole family, like the one he was not able to have.

Gil is going to have a real "trust issue" when it comes to dealing with women, just because of what his mom did to him. So that probably explains all of that Baby Momma Drama on his part. Again, no excuses for the man; just talking fact.

I like you and NBA's counter's, it is all good in the neighborhood with me. I'm going to now get off of my social awareness soapbox and return to "basketball". Peace......

Posted by: mikie | April 5, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's a strange thing that I heard on the radio, that hopefully has nothing to do with Gilby.

About 2 months ago, someone called into 96.3 during the Michael Baisden show and the topic was about HIV. A lady who called in said her younger brother has full blown HIV and is having a secret, unprotected relationship with a prominent local athlete who's gf was 1 month from giving birth. Now, I don't really want to go there, but I hope it's not anyone we know.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Thats what "I" want in my team leader..a point guard that tells me all about himself on his personal blog. Don't worry about playing sound fundamental basketball as a team or encouraging your mates to listen to the coach..Thats not necessary. No we want you running around talking about all your interviews and how great your popularity is..forget playing common sense ball. Let me run out and buy season tickets..

the media hound he is... I am willing to bet he'll be back before 2-3 mos. with some "miracle story" or asking fans to follow him along on his healing process..to the doctor & back, etc. on his blog. Prob already arranged interviews w/Wise,Times, ESPN and Sporting News to chronicle his despair and tradgedy.hound.

The obcessed fns will cry & wale as he describes "going under the sugeon's laser..

Did I describe an NBA player or a darn soap opera actor?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe these fans will hold a vigil outside of Sibley while chanting MVP, MVP, MVP, MVP........

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Did you have a bad feeling the other night when Gil didn't start? I did. I understand that Coach Jordan was proving a point. This is playoff time people. It's time for the others to step up and take it to the next level...

Posted by: Harold Green | April 5, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is about basketball. He was forced into fatherhood. Yes, he will probably be there for the kids since their already here. But why isn't the mother staying in the same house with him. He's living with his best friend John.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"He was forced into fatherhood."

This has got to be the dumbest statement of the week.

"But why isn't the mother staying in the same house with him. "

If you read Mike Wise's expose early in the season, Gilby specifically bought a house for his baby's momma so that she could live away from him, but have the kids nearby. He does not want to be in the same house with this woman, but then he went ahead and knocked her up a second time, and thus AAA came into this world. He admitted they fight a lot and don't get along. She's from a prominent family in the Bay area, but followed him here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Only the women can make the decision to go through with the pregnancy, that's what I meant.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why she went back to California to have the child when she was living in Virginia.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

So how do men protect themselves from that jam? It takes two to tango. Also, if he messed up the first time, he should have learned, but no, he went and DONE DID IT AGAIN!!! That's how AAA came to existence! Wasn't immaculate conception!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

He knocked her up while in the process of purching that 1.5 million dollar 5 bedroom house in Herndon. Yes, she's living in a Million Dollar home. Also she's driving his old $80,000 black Range Rover too.
The girl wasn't going for the average Joe to make babies with.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, so don't say he was forced to be a father when he went ahead and DONE DID IT AGAIN. F up the first time, fine, but F up again, then you're just plain dumb.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 5, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

DCmann, you are funny yes, but he wasn't forced into fatherhood.

He kept flying out to California..she wasn't comin here.

Mike Wise wrote a long series of articles about that.
Arenas & the young lady were dating 2 + yrs @ Golden State - When he got our contract - he dumped But kept see her undercover.Then opps! I'm pregnant.
He still denied knowing her & bein the daddy. Ignored her til she tried to have him served to take the DNA test. Abe & Eddie were hidin him so he couldn't be served. They should have made him step up & be a man. (story for another day)

Anyway, he got served & was the daddy. He kept see her under cover- still denied knowing her. She just had a little boy. She lives 3 miles from his home in Great Falls in a 7,000 sq ft home. She was with her mother following the birth of their 2nd child. he flew there for the birth.

John is another cover.

But you are correct in that - if he doesn't do well by his mother..things will not go well with him. He's actually had a fabulous life. The rest is pr for the NBA & ESPN.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse