Utah's Williams Could Be Breakout Star of Playoffs

I'm a little tired this morning because I stayed up late to watch that Golden State-Utah series last night. And, I have nary a regret.

That was riveting entertainment. I had no idea that the Jazz would be able to run with the Warriors; I anticipated a much more slowed down game, and long-term I believe they will have to play at a more controlled pace to reach the Western Conference Finals. I picked the Jazz to win the series in six games, but I hope the remaining games are just as thrilling, even if the scoring dips some. The Eastern Conference might be delivering two dud series thus far, but the West is worth missing sleep over.

That being said, I know I harped on the absence of stars remaining in the playoffs, but the good thing about the postseason is that this is also the time when new stars emerge - what was Dwyane Wade before he single-handedly annihilated the Wizards in 2005? I say that because Deron Williams is looking more and more like the real deal. He is the best young playmaker remaining in the playoffs (Tony Parker is more of a scorer; Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Chauncey Billups are all over 30).

The second-year point guard from Illinois truly had a breakout regular season - Williams probably should've been an all-star - even if his statistics didn't increase in the dramatic fashion of the league's Most Improved Player, Monta Ellis of the Warriors. And, while Ellis appears a bit overwhelmed in his postseason debut, Williams is shining. If his games weren't so late, more people might be aware of him by now.

He was superb last night, as he outplayed the MVP of the first round, Baron Davis. Williams had 31 points, 8 assists and 5 rebounds, pushing the tempo after nearly every made or missed or shot. He made some questionable decisions every now and then - forcing some passes, rushing to make others - but for the most part, he maintained his composure and never got rattled. Davis had Jason Terry and Devin Harris hiding under the bed in the first round, but Williams isn't afraid of him. Davis looked like he was going to take over the game in the second quarter, scoring 17 points. Williams didn't cower, he just charged back harder.

Williams will not be able to score at this level consistently, but he could be just as effective setting up Carlos Boozer. The Warriors were focused on shutting down Boozer, smoothering him with double- and triple-teams, but Golden State realizes now that the other players on the Jazz can beat them, too. Keep an eye on Williams. This could be the beginning a fun ride the next 10 or so years.

By Michael Lee  |  May 8, 2007; 12:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Second Round Musings, First Round Reflections
Next: Arenas All NBA second team

Comments

Michael I stayed up too. But, as I wrote on the previous article - several plays I'm curious about. I'm an older lady so - maybe I missed it or something.

Steven Jackson passing thru sevral defenders for layups..very clearly gets hit from both sides then shoved off court in process of the play to lay ball in.
No foul called either time. BUT!! Deron Williams in process of same play going thru defenders for layup attempts and received calls - the last of which gave 4 pts helped decide the game and place it out of reach especially after Boozer's put-back w/ 7.7 seconds remaining. Never mind the Warriors STILL attempted another bad 3 - instead of Davis trying to lay it in - kicked it out to Richardson

I felt Warriors didnt play well first half.
Constantly jackin up bad 3's silly mistakes but some of those calls - especially on Steve Jackson seemed a bit much. Or is there something I missed or is it just the playoffs where the refs are subject to favoring perhaps the home team?
What say you?

Posted by: Robin | May 8, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, any truth to the story of Haywood wanting to skip DC?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

love Wizards Insider. keep it coming. grow it!

"Ivan, any truth to the story of Haywood wanting to skip DC?"

How can Haywood stay after the sit down that he got in the playoffs. Man, I'd be embarrassed to walk around the streets of DC if I were him. Take me anywhere but here.

Posted by: marko | May 8, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

How about Carlos Boozer as a breakout star? Especially if Utah makes it to the next round.
With Williams, Boozer, Kirilenko and Okur, Utah has a Big 4. None of the four is a superstar, but all are excellent players. (Same with Detroit -- no superstar, just 4 excellent players.) Unless Arenas can make the leap to a superstar (I don't think he's there yet), it would seem the Wiz need to make it a Big 4 to push themselves to the next level. Unless Hayes or more likely Blatche can accomplish that feat, the 4th guy will have to be someone currently not on the roster. Navarro is intriquing because come playoff time, you need guys who are not afraid to take the big shots. I think he's that kind of player, correct?

Posted by: Sean | May 8, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Hugh recovery by the Suns tonight, but SA had already did what they came to do with getting the split. Looks like the two West Series are shaping up to be classics. More late, late nights. Well, that's ok looks like I can sleep through the East Series games!
The first two Warrior/Jazz games were great, looks like Utah has two break out stars in Boozer and Williams. I think Boozer had proven he could play in this league before, but after the way he left Cleveland and two seasons of being hurt in Utah he had kind of lost his shine with alot of people and was somewhat forgotten. So I don't think he's really a breakout player as much as a comeback player.
Boy, if Cleveland hadn't have lost him they sure would have a pair of monsters at forward right now!
Utah took alot of heat in the draft a couple of years ago taking Deron Williams. He's got a better supporting cast, but it looks like he could have a chance to advance to the Conference Finals before Felton and Paul.
The Wizard's Gilbert Arenas has taken alot of heat on this site for being too much of a scorer to play the point on a winning playoff team. But, how about the scoring performances that Nash, Parker, Williams and Davis are putting up right now in the second round of the playoffs!
If you have the firepower to spread the floor and get spacing, they way that the league is calling the hand checking now really favors putting the ball in the hands of a quick strong point that can finish at the hoop or dish. If he can pull up and hit the jumper or a short floater, he can be downright unstoppable as we've seen in these two Western Series.
Grunfeld was very astute in realizing where Stern was taking the league with the rule changes a couple of years ago and choose to build his team around Arenas. Gilbert has worked hard and added a new wrinkle to his game each year, this year he needs to add the midrange jumper off the drive and work on a floater in the lane so he's not trying to go all the way to the rack to finish all the time. That along with improved on the ball D can take his game to the next level.
If Pecherov can come in and play the post and catch the ball and shoot, and we can get Navarro over here, I could really see us spreading the floor and playing like these Western teams are playing right now. Hey, I've been a Bullets/Wiz fan for 41 years, there's always next year!

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double post, sometimes this site freezes up and when I post again it comes through twice!

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of Brenda Todette Haywoody.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2007 2:23 AM | Report abuse

The Phoenix game last night showed the risk of getting rid of Haywood without replacing him with a good defensive center. The Suns put Kurt Thomas on Duncan, and Thomas did enough to slow Duncan to help the Suns win. If the Wizards go with a more mobile center in its regular lineup, that can work, but there are going to be times, especially in the playoffs, when you need a good defensive big to counteract an opposing team's center or power forward. (Recall that sometimes Haywood would cover the opposing team's PF (e.g., Elton Brand) when Jamison could not cover him.) Etan Thomas is not that guy. So if Haywood goes, somehow a replacement needs to be found for a comparable price. That's going to be hard to find.

Posted by: Henry | May 9, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Henry is right that there are times that Haywood is an excellent defensive matchup against the opposition's center. There's other guys that he just appears lost against.
I think that was the point that Mikie and some others were trying to make during the Cleveland series, there are times that he is a good defensive matchup.
The problem is Haywood regards himself as a starter and is unhappy as a role player here. Like Jauan Dixion, I think Brendan will have to go elsewhere to either become the player that he thinks that Eddie is preventing him from becoming. Or more likely come to the understanding that he has strengths and weaknesses and at best is a role player in this league.
But bigs that learn to except being a backup can make good money for a long time in this league, so either way Brendan won't be hurting. The shortage of bigs that can defend is one reason that Grunfeld should be able to get something in return for Brendan, it just won't be another center.

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Im with you GM. Was Boozer injured when UTAH played @ Verizon? Wasn't that one of Arenas game winning last sec. shots?

I agree, could care less about LeBron(bite my nails & suckin my thumb)James & the Cavs. What happened to the Nets? Carter? What a wuss. All season he's lightin teams up with his stylin reverse lay-ups, behind the back dunks, hi-flyin dunks, etc now? Can he see the ball? What is he 6 of 26? Kidd 8 turnovers? - tossin the ball to "usher" & folks in the stands & 8 assts? Against Wiz wasn't it 22 assts? 0 turnovers? I guess pressure huh?

The Det game to me looks like two bros. battling. Big brother Det vs. little bros. Bulls. Still not interesting. No, GM, I wouldn't stay up for that either.
BUT!! Golden State or Phoenix games.
I'll struggle through. Yes, I read Brendan has asked to be traded. I think we all expected as much didn't we? What about Eagles drafting a qtr back? interesting

Posted by: Robin | May 9, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I thought the Phoenix /Suns game was great!
Went to bed early - Didn't know Suns won.

I'm sick Jersey lost...

Posted by: skip | May 9, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

either deron williams is faster than devin harris and jason terry (not likely), or davis' hamstring has slowed him down a little. at the end of the game davis was left to try and post deron up, which wasn't working. good game by deron, but getting a different player than baron in round 1 games 1-5.

Posted by: CreditZard | May 9, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

GM -- I think it is an open question whether Haywood would continue to complain if a better center was playing in front of him. With the Wizards, you could certainly argue that Haywood was the team's best center, yet he would sit on the bench watching Thomas, Ruffin and occasionally Jamison playing instead of him. It's one thing to complain in that scenario, another to complain if Jermaine O'Neal, for example, is playing ahead of you.

Posted by: Joe | May 9, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Joe, The real question would be if he'd except Pecherov starting and backing him up because I think that's the direction that Grunfeld is leaning right now.
Alot could change between now and camp, I think there's going to be alot of trade acivity in the league. But getting Jermaine O'Neal would be a real stretch Luxury Tax wise, he's due to make about 20m next year. That would be difficult with out trading Jamison(No Lisa I'm not suggesting trading Jamison).
If the Wiz would start Blatche and Pecherov they'd have two young mobile 7/0 guys inside that could offensive ability to play in the open court and allow the Wiz to spread the floor like you're seeing in the Western Conference Series. If we could bring over Navarro we could end up with an explosive starting 5 and possibly move Jamison to a classic 6th man role where our second best scorer would be coming off the bench.
It's something to think about while we're watching other teams in the playoffs.

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of: Jason Terry - Read last night that he will very likely be traded. Would think Lakers will make a serious offer for him provind salary cap will allow.

Posted by: Robin | May 9, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow! And they let Nash go and cut Finley to keep Terry under the new Luxury Cap. That all led to Nellie's serious illness which forced him to retire. Which was only resently disclosed as a bad case of being sick of Cuban.
Bet they'll laugh Bout that one at the Billionaire Boys Club! How about Snyder's line to Landry's father,"Like my jet? I'm thinking about getting another one". Some of these guys are really unbeleivable!

Posted by: GM | May 9, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

THe Wizards obviously need a good defensive C, but they'll need one even if they don't move Haywood. No serious comparison can be made between Thomas and Haywood, because Thomas plays strong physical defense every minute of every game he's on the floor. It's his calling card and has been for 10 years. The coach never worries about him coasting on the floor. He brings energy and effort all the time. Haywood does for a few games scattered throughout the season.

Posted by: kalorama | May 9, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Robin,

I can't see the Lakers going after Terry. First of all, he's got a big salary and they aren't likely to want to part with one of their bigd (Bynum or Odom) to get him. Also, Phill likes two things from his PGs, shooting and defense. Terry's an okay shooter (at least he was in Dallas) but he's not a good defender.

Posted by: kalorama | May 9, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I understand Kal, thats why I said providing salary cap can stand his salary.

Just my own musings about Lakers - nothing in cement..not that knowledgable regarding the salary cap anyway. As I recall they had their feelers out for a pg for a while..

Perhaps hopin for a Kidd or a Deron Williams, Devin Harris, etc. but as it is...I think considering things as they are..they'd be happy to get a Terry.

Again...just middle aged thoughts and musings I'm not Greg Anthony or Legler.

Posted by: Robin | May 9, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, the only thing worse than seeing LeBron James and the Cavs win yet another game (in my opinion because the Nets truly LET them) was hearing Doug Collins drone on about how FABULOUS Lebron is.

Posted by: Lisa | May 9, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Should we expect anything more from Doug "Blondie" Collins? Just mute the TV and laugh when Lebron scrunches his face up like a little baby. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE GREAT TONIGHT

Posted by: God Shammgod | May 9, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

How about the chance we get a Roy Hibbert from this draft? Roy Hibbert is a 7'2 presence who is well versed in the Princeton offense (since they play that in Georgetown). Or even Javaris Crittenton. Javaris Crittenton is 6'5 super quick point guard. Imagine him playing point pushing Gils to the two. A 6'5 pg can guard 2's on defense and play 1 on the offense. There is soo much young talent in this draft (as opposed to old talent in a draft???...lol haha) but what I mean is many future stars who played one year in college...Javaris Crittenton, Brandon Wright, Oden, Mike Conley, Spencer Hawes, Thaddeus Young...to name a few (and this is not to mention the sophmores/juniors comming out...Julian Wright, Al Hortford, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, Jeff Green). If the wizards cane comehow get into the top 13 they will get a STAR CALIBAR player.

Posted by: Meraj | May 9, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... this blog is titled "Wizards Insider", but whenever a Wizards story comes out, I seem to be able to find information on it anywhere BUT here.

Strange...

Hey, I don't mind the NBA playoff updates and stories and such, and I understand the Wizards' season is over... But if there's a story involving the team, and there have been a few in the past few weeks, maybe you guys could give the readers of WIZARDS INSIDER the story?

Posted by: SantanaClaus89 | May 9, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

it seems rather unlikely that Pecherov will start in his first year over here.

And even more unlikely that Navarro will play for the Wizards next year. Actually that sounds impossible. How could that get done if the NBA limits the Wizards to a $500,000 buyout?

I look forward to the day when Blatche and Pecherov start together, but my guess is we're at least a year away.

Also I'd love to see Hibbert in a Wizards uniform, but that ain't happening. I'll take Jeff Green instead if he somehow drops that far (and what a mistake that would be). Or a big, physical guard.

Posted by: but what do i know? | May 9, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Are there ANY African American people in Salt Lake City??? Everyone in the audience (and pretty much on the court) appears to be white....

Posted by: Lisa | May 9, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Meraj, I'm a little wary of the idea of Hibbert as a Wizard. I think he'll be a solid NBA player in time, but I doubt he's an immediate impact player. It'll take him a while to get going and I'm not sure the pressure of starting his career in the same city where he starred in college would be the best way to go.

But I also think it's probably a moot point. He hasn't hired an agent, and some of his earlier statements indicate that if he does fall all the way to 16 (the Wiz pick) he'll probably go back to school.

Posted by: kalorama | May 10, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Another great game game last night, if Golden State can bounce back and win at home after coming so close twice on the road, this one could be a classic.
Robin, No, not many, not to venture into to relegion or politics, but that's why Sharpton doesn't trust Mitt Romney. Salt Lake City is the Whitest big city that I've ever been to. It was almost surreal.
Meraj, from what I've read Hibbert and Hawes,the two big centers in the draft, are both hoping for a qaurentee to go from 9-11. Chicago, the Kings, and Atlanta pick in those three spots and are all considered likely to take a center if there is a good one available. That is unless Atlanta would move up in the lottery from 4 to 1 and get Oden.
But anyway, Hawes and Hibbert are apparently looking for someone to assure them that they will get picked by that point or they'll go back to school. They both seem to feel if they don't go in the top 10 or 11 of this draft by going back to school they could be top 5 next year.
Even at 16 we should be in position to take a pretty good player unless alot of these guys opt to go back to school. And I just don't think many of the lottery bound guys really will. And there seems to be that one guy that drops further than expected on draft night every year, so we could be in position to get lucky if someone falls.
Seems like every year there is one or two guys that teams fall in love with in the workout process, that at this stage is a late first early second pick, and then they shoot up the draft boards out of no where.
Last year it was Sene, my prediction this year could be Tomic. The guy's 7/2 and is supposed to be pretty skilled, but skinny as a board and has no strength. Somebody will convince theirselves if we could just put 40 lbs.of muscle on this guy he's the next Jabber.
I remember years ago, when Tom Burleson was coming out and Bill Russell was running the Kings(they were in KC back then). Russell picked Burleson and said that with some work on his body he'd be the next "Russell". We all know how that worked out, won't be anybody in this draft proclaiming they found the next "Burleson" even though they'll be more "Burleson's" than "Russell's", there are every year.

Posted by: GM | May 10, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

just a comment about the Bulls, why they seem to be lost against the Pistons. They got to the playoffs because they are a young, tall and tough team that plays very physical games. Watch our Wiz get frustrated with these guys all the time. But they're up against the Pistons who can handle their physicality with more of their own. And more than match their shooting.
On the Wiz side, Caron is one of our tough presences on the court. We need more like him who can push opposing players hard and also drive to the basket or shoot from 20 feet out.

Posted by: rickgonz | May 10, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

rickgonz, They say that teams take on the personality of their coach. Skiles always like to act like a bad ass when he played.
But if someone knocked him down a couple of times he useally wilted.
I was thinking the same thing watching the Bulls, when they go up against a real physical team they loose their swagger. Watching the game the other night, they said that Skiles had commented, "we've got to lay some wood on these guys".
So when they get home, look out things could get interesting.

Posted by: GM | May 10, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

LOL, LOL, LOL Lisa!! I'm with you on that!! I thought it was just me who noticed that..But look at the team too!!!
Deron & Boozer look so lite & bright its hard to tell the difference...
I Know, I know...It doesn't make a difference...but I happened to note it everytime Okur, Kirelinko & the other 2 went to the line...lol, LOL..
Its silly stuff but Lisa you're as hillarious as I am...lol.

Posted by: Robin | May 10, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

At least you admit that talking about that is silly stuff Robin. Does it really matter the composition of the fans in Salt Late City, or for that matter the composition of the players! And yes Salt Lake City is very white and suprise surprise many black free agents won't go there because of that. The point is who cares! By the way say what you want about the Jazz fans, just don't forget how loud they are and how tough it is to win there in the playoffs.

GM I think you have hit the nail on the head with what Grunfeld wants to put out there. The good news I think is that it might mean that Grunfeld and Jordan will be more on the same page on what personnel moves to make. I think the Wizards will find a way to get Navarro over here. To me we have gone as far as we can go with Gilbert as the point and for this team to get better Gilbert needs to go to 2 and we need to get a real point. Now if we could just find a center who can fit the offense we want to run. That is the real difficult part.

Posted by: George Templeton | May 10, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

George Templeton,

Robin and I did not say that it mattered about the white population in Utah - it was just so shockingly white that it was noticeable.

Posted by: Lisa | May 10, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

George, I think finding a C who fits the defensive needs is probably a bigger concern than finding one who can fit into the offensive scheme. They've got the scoring part down. They really need a big guy who puts out consistently on defense, rebounding, shot blocking and physical presence down low. If he only scores 10 ppg on putbacks, FTs and alley-oops and never even attempts a post up or jump shot, that should be gravy, as long as long as he's filling the bigger holes. A guy like Paul Milsap or DeSagana Diop would be a very good fit.

Posted by: kalorama | May 10, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, George, it is silly and quite unimportant. Sorry, I or We apologize if our statments appeared to be offensive to anyone on our favorite site. They WERE NOT MEANT TO BE. We just had a short laugh for the moment on that quite noticable part of the playoffs. We haven't gotten distracted though.

Posted by: Robin | May 10, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Robin, I understand. I shouldn't have been so short with you.
Kalorama, given our defensive shortcomings, I just don't know if there is any C that can fundamentally can change our defensive situation. So I figure we might as well try to find a C who can actually play in this offense and make us an even more fearsome offensive attack.

Posted by: George Templeton | May 10, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

George, I definitely agree that one good defensive player isn't going to turn the Wizards into a great defensive team overnight. But they don't need to be a great defensive team to succeed. Even with their lousy defense, they were one of the highest scoring teams in the league and, if it weren't for the injuries, probably would have won 45-plus games. But their inability to rebound or to keep the other team off the glass is what really kills them (and contributes to other teams racking up 2nd chance points off offensive rebounds or running fastbreaks off of the Wizards' misses). A tough, physical big who can work the boards and shave off the Wizards' awful rebounding differential would have a huge positive effect, without disrupting what already works.

Posted by: kalorama | May 12, 2007 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | May 12, 2007 3:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Wilbon recommended Les BouleS consider Diop. Anybody care about him?

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 21, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse