Draft day nears

The Wizards are conducting their final pre-draft workouts today and tomorrow and then we'll all finally be able to sit back on Thursday night and see how the first round plays out. Today's workout guys are Thaddeus Young (Georgia Tech) and Cartier Martin (K-State), Shagari Alleyne (Manhattan), Dontaye Draper (College of Charleston), Keith Simmons (Holy Cross) and Kyle Visser (Wake Forest). The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Young is the most intriguing guy because he's expected to go somewhere in the first round.

I can't go out on a limb and tell you which player or players Ernie Grunfeld is dying to see sitting there at 16 but I have a feeling that if either Nick Young (USC) or Javaris Crittendon (Georgia Tech) drops that far, Ernie will take them. I've heard that both players had great workouts. The issue is that Young's status has been helped by the workout process and he could go as high as the top 12. Ditto for Crittendon, a freak of an athlete who only played one year of college ball.

A ton of mock drafts have the Wiz taking Colorado State center Jason Smith and the Wiz did work Smith out but I'm not sure that Ernie goes there because he already has two young players - Andray Blatche and Oleksiy Pecherov - who play that kind of outside/in game. Bottom line: I have a feeling that when the time comes for the Wiz to pick, they'll go with the trusty "best player available" philosophy regardless of position. I'll check back later with updates on the day's workouts and any other Wiz news.

By Ivan Carter  |  June 25, 2007; 12:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update on Blatche
Next: Oden Has The Goods To Be A Bonafide Star

Comments

Does drafting Young mean that the Wiz will move Hayes?

Posted by: the cheat | June 25, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Ivan.

By the way - you look really cute in your picture. Are you single?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 25, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Were there any players that were brought in for second workouts?

Posted by: GM | June 25, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Ivan.

So does the "best player available" scenario lead to pairing that player up with an existing team member(s) for a straight-up trade, or future draft picks and cash?

With the many variables likely at pick no. 16, and the repeated inference that he likes where the team is overall, doesn't this lead Ernie to be more of a wheeler-dealer?

Posted by: iceberg | June 25, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

On NBATV they've been playin old drafts. I was very happy when I say John Stockton get picked at #16 !! Lots of nobodys went ahead of him.

Posted by: Darnell | June 25, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

They got an Eastern Conference Draft Preview show on at 7pm tonight btw.

Posted by: Darnell | June 25, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz have all of 1 guard under contract after this season: Daniels. They have the full MLE taken by Songalia and Blatche is about to get paid.

Even Gil, in his blog, mentioned the need for a scorer coming off the bench. Young would certainly fit. IMO they need a shooter (since Jarvis isn't producing) and Belinelli could be a nice add whether Ernie moves back or not.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | June 25, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, I seriously can't believe we haven't worked out Kyrylo Fesenko. Did he have a private workout? He went to ATL and Philly. My guess is he didn't come in so Ernie doesn't tip his hat. I'm sure we've scouted him, he plays in the same league as Pecherov.

George, your question from the last posting, as far as I know he can play this year. But he is only 20.

If we don't get him, I will be shocked. I could see us getting him later in the draft by trading down, or by adding another pick via trade (for a player, or a future pick, or our 2nd rounder + a future 2nd). But I wouldn't be surprised if we took him even at 16.

Posted by: Darnell | June 25, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

God no to Javaris Crittenton, PLEASE. He just sounds too much like Jarvis.

Posted by: AV | June 25, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the fuss about this subject. Professional sports suck! It used to be about the team and now it is me...me...me. Back in the day, I went to see the 'Skins, Caps and les Bullets. Those were fun times. No more! Pay more attention to high school and college.

Posted by: BURKE | June 25, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Burke,

Why did you visit this blog and post on here if you feel that way? Just keep watching HS and College.

Posted by: Lisa | June 25, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Darnell, with your sudden fascination with Fesenko you are seriously becoming like the realgm crowd and their love of Morris Almond. You never even knew this guy existed two weeks ago and now you will be "shocked" if "we" don't get him. Pour yourself a cold glass of lemonade and relax. If Ernie thinks he's that great, he'll pick him.
I believe there is a better than 50% chance that the Wizards pull off a trade this week, whether it involves a current player or a pick. It just seems that there are things going on. Ivan, do you agree? Or are you too busy fielding dating inquiries on this site?

Posted by: Sean | June 25, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

As to the pick, if Stuckey goes to Detroit (he's been invited to the green room, so that suggests he is one of the top 15), then Nick Young, Julian Wright, Javaris Crittenton, Al Thorton, Acie Law or Thaddeus Young would be available. Can't go wrong with any of those guys, in my opinion.

Posted by: Sean | June 25, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling somebody like the Hawks gave Stuckey a guarantee, my other guess would be the Clippers.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | June 25, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

The mocks are worthless, most have the Wiz taking Jason Smith. Expect a mild surprise Thursday night, but not disappointment.

Posted by: Wizzy | June 25, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

yeah i dont understand ur infactuation with this fresnsko guy...like he's a guaranteed thing...u've never even seen him play...u should have read the scouting reports they had about kwame brown...look what ended up happening...i mean thats not to say he's not good...its just that its not anything to get really happy about either...as far as this bellini guy...i think fernandez is way better...its just we need help now and it seems like fernandez wont be able to come over and help right away either...btw...i think noah will be a disappointment to those who think he's going to be a good nba player...he will be serviceable but nothing more than that...

Posted by: jay-son | June 25, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jason Smith is a nice player and all, but like you said Ivan we have two young players who already fit that bill. However, Ivan are there any scenarios that would involve trading the pick (16), because there is certainly a possibility.

Posted by: ED | June 25, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ED | June 25, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I did it because I had the opportunity. I will continue watching high school and college sports and respond to this forum whenever I have time to waste.

Posted by: BURKE | June 25, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I hope Greg Oden or KD drops to the 16th pick...

Posted by: Terpin It | June 25, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"Does drafting Young mean that the Wiz will move Hayes?"

I loved this post. :)

Unfortunately I see Hayes here next year and starting the 2 spot. If they draft either of those kids they will come off the bench.

I would love to see them deal this pick, but I have a feeling they are going to stand pat. The one problem with drafting in the mid to late first is most of the players who are going to make a difference sooner rather then later will be gone.

If they can't get a big man I would love to see them go with a point guard.

I expect a boring night for the Wiz on Thursday. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 25, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I really expect that by Friday we will be rid of Haywood, Jarvis and that the pick that we keep will be somebody from the late first round. It could happen after the draft or Thursday night. I think we are going to see one of the big gun players (Kobe, Marion, Garnett) moved and it will be a 3 team deal. I just got a feeling. The draft is deeper than usual and there are vets ready to move on. I'll be shocked if I am wrong. This week will be quite eventful.

Posted by: BmoreRev | June 25, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Gosh I was conservative in my feeling: I just heard from espn that it could be not a 3 but a 4 team blockbuster between the Lakers-Wolves-Celts and Pacers. Sounds like this is more than just somebody's rumors but a real possibility.

Posted by: BmoreRev | June 25, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"....that Stevenson will opt out of the final year of his contract at the end of the month."

Everyone say "Bye, bye, Deshaun!"

"Sounds like this is more than just somebody's rumors but a real possibility."

If it doesn't happen by Thursday it ain't gonna happen. I hear Kobe still wants to leave L.A. even if it does.

Com'on Mike, where's your Kobe love at now? I read on your chat you called him a "headache." You know you still love that guy.

Minnesota would get a draft pick and Al Harrington, doesn't sound so good to me. McHale is a big dummy if he does it.

I bet it doesn't happen. Garnett said he wanted to go to a major city. Bring his butt here EG.

Hayes will still be a Wizard next year and starting at the 2, I guarantee it.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 25, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Well Ray we will see who is right. I just gotta feeling that Ernie is up to something. Hayes, Haywood and the pick...wait and see! I think he is satisfied that Pech and Blatche can solidify the front court and that we need help on the wings. I think he wants to get depth at the 5 and a wing player. We may somehow end up with 3 picks. I can't see us moving up but can see us moving down and still filling these needs.

I still wish Ernie would draft a true point guard and move Gilbert to the 2. But I don't think that will happen.

Posted by: BmoreRev | June 25, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I am with you on that BmoreRev. What do you think of Dowdell. You think he can play point at this level?

Posted by: George Templeton | June 25, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dowdell is the point guard from Va Tech? Didn't see much of him to have an opinion and haven't seen any highlights of him.

We need a classic point who will distribute, hit open shots and play solid on the ball defense. I'd love to see Gilbert rest more on offense and not have to worry about handling. I think back to MJ who could have been point guard with the Bulls but was not. He had the ball in his hands down the stretch and was essentially the fourth quarter point guard..but not for the whole game. That's what I'd love to see them do with Gilbert.

Looks like Suns are going to be working out top level lottery players and the rumors are that Marion will be the one who is moved. Interesting that so many forwards are being talked about: Pierce, Garnett, Marion, Gasol, Randolf, Odom. Meanwhile there are solid forwards in the draft as well: Horford, Green, Noah, Wright, Wright, Thornton. I have to think that dangling a tweener like Jamison at the right GM will get us one of these guys and upgrade our forward position. But AJ is the team leader so you don't do it unless it clearly upgrades us. What do you need alongside a Caron Butler? I think you need a tall, tough, low post presence. This guy Sean Williams may be worth a gamble. I am not sure that Pecherov and Blatche complete the skills we need at the other forward position.

I mentioned weeks ago that I see Caron as filling the leadership void if they move Jamison. It just looks like he has the personality to do that.

Posted by: BmoreRev | June 26, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

>>>Darnell, with your sudden fascination with Fesenko you are seriously becoming like the realgm crowd and their love of Morris Almond.>>>

Yeah we tend to go overboard in our enthusiasms. Especially if someone can find a stat to back it up.

Dowdell looks to be a pretty solid back-up point at a minimum. At Va Tech it seemed like he was in the mix in every one of their key wins, he really stepped up his scoring this year (especially in clutch situations) and his defensive energy is one of his most reliable attributes.

There's a few decent bench-PG/combo guards out there with the potential to improve:

Gabe Pruitt makes Nick Young look better than he is.

Ramon Sessions will surprise a few guys.

None of them will be available by #47 though. And GMEG et al haven't even looked at PG's much in their workouts: big combo guards, perimeter players, SG/SF tweeners and a few Bigs PF/C's sprinkled into the mix.

Rodney Stuckey hasn't even gotten a sniff.

(Though with EG of course that might mean he really likes him and doesn't even have to test him to know it).

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 12:50 AM | Report abuse

07 Draft Wish List.

Hope there is some way we land the 5th pick from Boston to snag Jeff Green. Outside of Durant and Oden he is going to be the best player from this class.

If we stand pat at 16, take the best player available either Young, Crittenton, Julian Wright, or Byars. And then trade Haywood for a pick at the end of the 1st beginning of the Second for Alando Tucker(Josh Howard v.2.0) or Marcus Williams. With the second pick either Green from Florida or Fazekas.

Posted by: dc | June 26, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"After talking to a number of teams Monday, the consensus was that the biggest slider in the first round could be Kansas' Julian Wright, who could fall to Washington at No. 16." - ESPN

Getting J. Wright at 16 would be the steal of the draft, and I truly hope that happens.

Posted by: Nick | June 26, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Nick. And even if he has flaws, Wright is the type of player the Wizards don't have, so he would be a great complementary player to the scorers the Wizards already have. I just worry that Grunfeld hasn't worked him out and will pass on him.

Posted by: Red | June 26, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I just don't see Ernie passing on J. Wright if he's still sitting there. Perhaps he hasn't been worked out because he was previously considered to be out of reach. Also, its possible that Julian didn't want to entertain the notion that he would slip this far. If he does, he could play with one of those Arenas-type chips on his shoulder.

Posted by: Nick | June 26, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well, Garnett in LA! He didn't want Boston hopeful for Phoenix or LA.

Now Chauncey wants out of Detroit - interesting happenings.

I think Grunfeld will go euro or
Sean Williams but they also need a man on the wing...nuf said.

Its gonna be another mediocre year in wizardland until they get a new coach.
With or without Gilbert. What you will essentially have - Boston and Minne

Thanks for the honesty Burke.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

second round pick is spent on a point guard right?

Posted by: CreditZard | June 26, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the team's feeling son Tiago Splitter?

He seems to get positive reviews as a defensive center and I haven't heard his name mentioned in association with the Wiz.

Posted by: wizzinator | June 26, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the team's feelings on Tiago Splitter?

Posted by: wizzinator | June 26, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the team's feelings on Tiago Splitter?

Posted by: wizzinator | June 26, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Blatche cannot shoot (at least consistently). If Blatche could shoot consistently, maybe we would not see Antwan and Songaila play center last season.

Posted by: Sagaliba | June 26, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

i still say we should consider butler in trade talks as well. he might be much more desirable to other teams. and yeah he had a career year last year, but gasol still had a better year than him. and so did jamison, arguably...

Posted by: JC | June 26, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

JC - surely you are kidding?

Posted by: Lisa | June 26, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Tiago Splitter will not be available immediately due to his current contract. Wizards need immediate help.

Posted by: Sagaliba | June 26, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

lisa,

not at all. i posted earlier on this i think, but if we landed a great inside big man by trading jamison, we'd be stuck with only one player who can consistently shoot outside, arenas. butler is good at a lot of things, but he's miserable on the outside (25% last season). jamison scores just as well, but from more places on the floor and rebounds just as well. neither is a defensive stopper.

so if you get an inside playing big, jamison might mesh better on the floor with him than butler would.

all i'm saying is, teams might be more willing to bite on butler. and as far as i'm concerned, our current team with gasol over butler is a better team.

Posted by: JC | June 26, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

btw, hollinger has a very interesting article on espn about analyzing college players for the draft:

by his count, nick young will be a bust. and julian wrigt will be average, but thaddeus young has the tools to be very good.

Posted by: JC | June 26, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Both nbadraft.net and draftexpress are now projecting that Julian Wright will be the pick. Don't tease me like that. Fingers crossed!

Posted by: Sean | June 26, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse