Wiz fall in SL opener

The fellas looked a bit nervous and all kinds of choppy in opening summer league play with a 75-64 loss to the Kings this afternoon. Nick Young (11 points on 3 of 14 shooting) and Oleksiy Pecherov (9 points on 3 of 11 shooting) missed a bunch of open shots. Dominic McGuire and Mike Hall played well. Sacramento's Francisco Garcia was the best player on the court which is to be expected.

-No update on the DeShawn talks but I'll know something tonight (Ernie's in the house and so are a billion and one agents/gms/scouts etc.)

-Juan Carlos Navarro is getting itchy. He's dying to get a contract done, finish up with his buyout back home and get started on his NBA career. Ernie still holds the keys and he's looking for the best deal possible. I have no idea what Ernie will do if talks with DeShawn hit a wall (and they might). I know you guys want more but I'm spending so much time talking to agents and NBA folks that blogging is tough. I'll hit you with more later....

By Ivan Carter  |  July 10, 2007; 7:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas baby!
Next: Francis Is Free

Comments

Spend your time wisely and get us the info :). Preciate the update(s). This is a tough question, "What to do with JCN?" I prefer keeping him myself. If EG is set on trading ET, what are we to make of BH, particularly with his declarations and behavior? Is he considering trading both of them. If not, he would have just killed whatever authority his coach has. Any info on these questions/issues is appreciated.

Posted by: skeef | July 10, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ivan.

Posted by: Andy S | July 10, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

So it finally sounds like EG is determined to trade JCN for some strange reason. I don't understand why the Wizards are bidding against themselves to keep DeShawn. And quite frankly, I think JCN is a good option off the bench, particularly as a back up PG. There's no reason EG HAS to trade JCN. I don't see why DeShawn is such a must that they have to dump JCN. (If Gilbert is behind this DeShawn stuff, I'd be pretty disappointed. That would mean he's sabotaged the organization for two straight off-seasons. Last year it was Eddie.)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't see EG dishing out Jason Kapono bucks to sign Deshawn. The current offer is not spectacular but it is fair. Just because other teams are overpaying role players don't mean the Wiz have to follow suit....JCN adds a lot of intrigue to the entire situation and gives EG a fallback plan....what's the latest on Jarvis? He's such a good guy but it seems as though he is as good as gone....I hope we keep AD, he's very steady and we gotta keep Blatche, he has started to fill out and show some of that KG potential. Like IC said, EG holds all the cards and so far he is playing his hand very well.

Posted by: low | July 10, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

(I posted the anonymous comment above.) As for Arvis Hayes, I hope, and I trust they will, that the Wizards stay as far away as possible from resigning the guy.

Posted by: Colin | July 10, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think trading JCN is a good idea if and only if we can get a big man who can score or 1st rounded pick of next year back. I think we should keep deshawn on that last offer (15 mil for 4mil) and that's it. if he doesnt'want it then he should just leave. we don't need him anyway. he sucks! i guess he don't know his value...

Posted by: nuntiwat | July 10, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I think EG must see JCN less like Ginobli and more like Carlos Arroyo. If that's true, I could see why he'd prefer DS.

Posted by: Cballer | July 10, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Saw a little bit of the game. Was really impressed with DMac. He was very active, and his nose for the hole surprised me. Wonder what his vertical is.

Saw some of Opech. Wasn't all that impressed, but it's early. He primarily took long J's and looked slow. Didn't do too much boxing out when he was in the hole. Visser was aggressive.

I'm wondering if EG is trying to send a message by not trying to ship out BTH, who's a thorn in EJ's side, but instead, is looking to ship out Etan. I really hope EG leaves the 4 years, 15 mil on the table for DS and gives him a time limit to accept or he'll rescind.

If Memphis wants JCN, I'd gladly send them JCN and Etan for Mike Miller and their 1st round next year or Hakim Warrick.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 10, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me how they were able to watch the game besides live online at nba.com? I have the Directv nba ticket and this game was blacked out in our area. This makes no freakin sense to me since I am able to get all of the other games. Do they expect us to fly to Nevada and help sell out the game so we can watch it locally? I had my TIVO all set and am REALLY disappointed. Are Wiz summer league games on another channel ?

Posted by: Mark | July 10, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Can anybody explain what is going on in DeShawn's mind? Assuming that he is rejecting the current offer, what could he possibly think his best case scenario is when no other teams are interested in him. I pray that Ernie comes to his senses and doesn't pay him a cent more than his market value.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Mark,

The games are on Comcast Sportsnet in the DC area.

Posted by: Sam | July 10, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

The game was taped and televised on Comcast at 8pm. Les BouleS will be on again tomorrow at 6pm. Sixers at 8pm. Finally the Chinese National Team (with Yi) and 10pm.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 10, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

If DS walks and takes a 1 yr/1 mil deal again, who are the other top SG free agents who might be available to the Wiz?

Posted by: piratelout | July 10, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

As potent as the firepower we have already on this team, I'd be content with either JR Pinnock or Humphrey.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 10, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Why does Comcast black out the game on NBA channel if they aren't being televised at the same time? Can they at least fix the video feed? How do they blow a taped delay game. I have been watching games all week long on NBA channel with no problem but have been getting HTS flashbacks trying to watch the Wiz game.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe DS is running the risk of letting the MLE evaporate before his eyes, especially after the money dried up on him last year.

He wants something like 4 years/$18 mill? If that's the case, then EG should focus on signing JCN and just shop DS/Poet.

Posted by: iceberg | July 10, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like the Stevenson's negotiations have hit a wall. Hopefully Ernie's attempts to deal Navarro (unless we get a bonafide low post threat) will do the same.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 10, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Mark, you need to get the sports package with Comcast Sportsnet to view the games on DirecTV. I despise CSN, and I cannot believe how bad this feed is! I'm watching it on TiVo now, and the sound is terrible. I guess I shouldn't complain--at least I'm getting to see some preseason play. Do you think the broadcasting of the summer league is an indication that they'll televise more of the preseason games?

I hope EG doesn't go any higher for DS. He's not worth it and in two years we'll be trying to dump him, too. I do really hope they're not trying to sign him just to appease Gil.

I like Visser. What are the chances we'll keep him around?

I've always been a fan of Jarvis, but I sure hope if he's a Wiz this year he finally gets it together. He was downright painful to watch last year. That game they took him out on a stretcher--man that was tough to watch.

EJ: "That's the league" as his excuse for losing Gil and Caron for the end of the season. What about the fact that he played them 45 minutes a freaking game all season? No, Eddie, that's wear and tear. Dudes are going to get injured playing that much night after night.

THis is the most exciting offseason in the 7 years I've been a Wiz fan. Love it!

Posted by: Lou | July 10, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Pecherov is very UNimpressive. i know it's early, but he doesn't do much for me. Our summer league team is disgusting. Now i know why Visser wasn't drafted....a 7 footer getting his shot blocked repeatedly is pathetic. what a terrible squad, guess my hopes of something good coming out of this have been diminished

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

D-Mac looked good. I see what Ivan meant when he said he looks like a NBA baller.

DeShawn may help us out afterall and refuse to accept the 4yr/15m. then we can go on and sign JCN and move on. DeShawn needs a reality check. Gave up 10M a year ago and now this. Someone has to tell him he's not that good.

I was excited to see Pesh, Young and D-Mac, but summer league is some UGLY ball to watch.

Posted by: TOM | July 10, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

There are a lot of thing Eddie Jordan can be blamed for, but the injuries to Butler and Arenas are not among them. Those were fluke injuries in fluke circumstances (Butler hitting his hand on the backboard on a dunk and breaking it and Jake Voskuhl falling into Arenas' knee).

Posted by: George Templeton | July 10, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Geez....you guys are sooo depressing. Please keep in mind this was the first game of the SUMMER LEAGUE. Sacramento has already played a game or two already.

I've heard Oden and Durant have not done anything either and now Oden is finished with tonsillitis.

GEEZ......

Posted by: Lisa | July 10, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

What's up with Blatche? We haven't heard anything! all we hear is JCN and DS. Is blatche going to be resigned? WE really could use him after seeing pesch.

If blatche turns out to be the player he is capable of being the wizards franchise could be set for years to come! So what is going on with him? Ivan.

Posted by: The GODFATHER | July 10, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Lisa's right. Let's gain some perspective here. It's only summer league. And it's only one game in summer league. Pecherov did disappoint me. He was intimidated, it looked like, and outmuscled. I always questioned those who said OP could play the 5. I never thought he could. He proved today, in one summer league game, I know, that he's not a 5. Young will be fine. I liked the way Visser was playing early, but his poor, boneheaded stretch late in the fourth quarter pretty much ruined any chance the Wiz had of coming back. DM looked nice. I'd prefer to see Aaron Miles as the depth PG than Donnell Taylor.

As for DeShawn, the guy is out of his mind. How do you turn down an offer when no other team is offering you something comparable? Stick at $15 million and let him walk if he demands more. Say, "Oh well, Gilbert. He's gone. Get over it." Sign JCN and get the guys in camp who want to be in camp.

Posted by: Colin | July 10, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I really can't imagine that ANYONE is competing with us for our current offer for DeShawn. I would be far more interested in signing Navarro for part of the MLE and then using the rest for a Mikki Moore type player.

Talk about an over-inflated sense of self-worth. DeShawn totally bombed in the playoffs. 4th options on offense just aren't high dollar positions.

Posted by: sfam | July 10, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

And regarding the play today, Ivan, can you clarify if Pecherov was still significantly bothered by the groin injury? He really looked slow out there. And it would be really nice to see both him and Young hitting their shots, but perhaps we'll see this tomorrow.

Posted by: sfam | July 10, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

please, to the person that said Blatche could be the wiz franchise player, have you ever watched pro ball before? he is NO franchise player no matter how young he is.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

If Stevenson really thinks he can get more money elsewhere, goobye and good luck to him. He clearly didn't learn any lessons from the last time. It's nice that he has a healthy self-esteem, but there has to be a limit.

Posted by: kalorama | July 10, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

If Stevenson really thinks he can get more money elsewhere, goodbye and good luck to him. He clearly didn't learn any lessons from the last time. It's nice that he has a healthy self-esteem, but there has to be a limit.

Posted by: kalorama | July 11, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

DS gave himself the nickname 50 for his shooting percentage. I now think it really more reflects his IQ! Who is advising him? Ernie, give him 48 hours and then shut it down. I would let Arvis, Young and Navarro compete for the starting 2 position.

Summer leagues are sloppy games folks. It is about guys who don't play together coming together trying to impress coaches and scouts. I said on draft night that I had a good feeling about the McGuire clips that were out there and now seeing him I definitely hope he gets some time in the rotation. He has tough D, is athletic, rebounds, doesn't take bad shots, can contribute without the ball. I will say it again...he needs experience but he could easily become our best option at slowing Labron down next spring when it counts.

Posted by: BmoreRev | July 11, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

pech looks like shti, more than he looks like a 4.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

So Navarro is in Vegas?

Its not good when your bigs can't hold their ground in the paint in summer league ball.

Its early but we can put to bed the whole "Young will be starting in a few months" talk while we're taking Pesh's "Dirk-ness" away for now.

There's a lot of talent there, its just not ready, save McGuire. Even for him, its only because he won't be asked to do anything offensively.

Deshawn needs to take the best money and the best fit... before its gone.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 11, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

George,
Yes, the injuries were flukes, but fluke injuries are far more likely to happen when your body is worn down, you're tired, and you're not playing quite as clean and tight as you would normally play. So, while they weren't wear and tear injuries, you won't convince me that the wear and tear their bodies sustained during the season didn't contribute to those injuries happening.

In terms of my life--I carry around my 22 pound 6 month old son day after day after day. It starts to wear on me. Because I'm tired and not quite as agile as I normally am, when my two year old comes barreling at me on her scooter, I don't react to move out of the way as quickly as I normally might. Now, I've got a broken toe from the scooter incident. So while the broken toe wasn't caused by the wear and tear of carrying around my son, it was caused by my slower reaction which was caused the by the wear and tear.

It's just not wise to be playing these guys 45+ minutes a night, night after night. We need a quality bench, that EJ trusts and will PLAY so that our starters can stay fresh.

Posted by: Lou | July 11, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Who is LaBron? Do you mean LeBron?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

And, ditto, Lisa--

This is game 1 of summer league, folks! It's no time to panic.

Posted by: Lou | July 11, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough Lou and EJ should be faulted for not playing Blatche, Daniels and other bench players more. I think the biggest question is not whether the Wizards will have a talented bench (EG will make sure of that), it is whether EJ will have the sense to use it.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 11, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Just to throw this out there - I like Eddie.

Posted by: Geoff | July 11, 2007 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I like eddie too,

sometimes i dislike his rotations, but overall i think he has been really good for this team. Some people should consider that...

Also, I think EG knows how to GM, so I look fwd to seeing how he manages this situation.

Posted by: greg | July 11, 2007 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Four keys for the Wizards to act on, ASAP:

1. Sign Navarro, and plan to KEEP (and play) him, unless some team(s) offer us something worthwhile in the form of a center in exchange for him and a 3-4 player package. If not, a similar package for an '08 first-round pick might be nice.

2. Set a timetable ultimatum for DeShawn and stick to it.

3. Ensure that Jordan gives the "Big 3" more rest this year. That means really pushing the younger/bench guys, starting N-O-W.

4. Focusing on improved defense -- even if it means pulling guys off the floor -- will be the only way to compensate for the lack of a solid big man. It might also help the team's morale...

Posted by: Ntlekt | July 11, 2007 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I hear Deshawn is at an impasse with the Wiz. Demanding 18mil over 4 years. What an idiot! He is going to end up like last year. He is okay but not worth the money he is demanding and his agent needs to tell him so. But, I forgot, the agent gets a cut so I am sure he is pushing him to demand more. I guess he must not have read that JCN is ready to join the Wizards. It will interesting to see how this turns out. I have a feeling we have seen the last of him if he doesn't accept the last offer.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

The reason Ernie will trade Navarro is because he wants to also include Etan in that trade. Ernie should have never signed Etan to such a long term/huge contract. Etan is no more than a B-/C player. With Navarro, some team might be willing to take on that huge Etan contract.

Posted by: Kevin | July 11, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

JCN is 27 years old, therefore he has a shorter future. He is not proven in the NBA. He is probably somewhere between Kwame and an All Star.
Ideally, Ernie could trade JCN, ET, and BH to someone, just to get rid of the contracts and personalities of the 5s, even if the Wiz just got a future second in return.
If this "deadwood" was removed, Agent Zero might think the Wiz is looking to the future, and could resign after seeing what the Wiz acquire next year.

Posted by: lrmc623 | July 11, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I understand the problem of JCN being 27 when DeShawn is 26. I also don't understand who Ernie is planning to play the 5 if Etan is traded and he doesn't get Pau Gasol as part of the deal.

Ivan, you need more in your articles on the various options at the 5, what's going on with Blatche, and whether any other team is bidding on DeShawn.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Playing less minutes doesn't un-break Caron's hand. it doesn't keep the schmoe from rolling up Gilbert either. I say that with full knowledge that Eddie has issues with how PT is dished out. They need better bench support and these kids deserve time, but relating these injuries to PT makes no sense.

The best thing would be for Ernie to pull a Colangelo with Eddie. Sam Mitchell didn't want to play Bargnani. Colangelo told him to play the guy 15-20 per regardless. Call it the anti-Darko method. Blatche needs those consistent minutes.

Posted by: JJ | July 11, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

navarro es un muy buen jugador i creo que puede hacer cosas muy buenas en los wizards!!!
JCN is a good player and I think that can do a good work in wizards!

Posted by: Josep | July 11, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I think Ernie should wave his hand in his face then turn around and wave bye bye to DeShawn.

Pesh looked okay but Visser did play with some aggressiveness. DMac looked like a real pro player, I'm really looking forward to him playing. NY was a little nervous but it was the very first summer league game, it may take a few games for these guys to gel a bit.

Eddie was interviewed during the game and was asked about JCN. He really tiptoed the question and ended up saying I can't comment, that's a GM issue.

Looking forward to the game tonight, hopefully the feed will be better on cSN?

Posted by: Juan DC | July 11, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Bottomline the Wizards signed Etan for too much money and he has a trade kicker in his contract. He is virtually impossible to move. The only way to move his is to put together a package with another valuable asset. As far as Haywood, folks can say what they want, but he is a steal for the amount of money he makes. He is a solid nba center when he gets minutes. His problem is Eddie Jordan. If Eddie Jordan isnt gone by next summer, the Wizards have no shot at re-signing Gil. Then its like the franchise is starting over. The Wiz let Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries walk for nothing. Why not sign and trade those guys or trade them before the contracts are up? Jared wanted out a long time ago. Eddie Jordan is the problem. Yea yea yea he took the team to the playoffs 3 years in a row. A monkey in a suit could have coached the team last year to the playoffs!! Especially as weak as the east was. I look for Eddie Jordan to be gone. Its no secret that Ernie doesnt like him

Posted by: Jsmooth | July 11, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Jsmooth, You mention Jeffries and Hughes like letting them go was a bad thing. Those were 2 of the best moves we've made in a while. I'm with everyone else...Let DS go if he refuses what's on the table. No need to panic at all about summer league, either. The team we had last year wins 50 games if they stay healthy. This year, Eddie needs to start and leave Haywood on the floor and give minutes to Blatche, JCN, and McGuire. I know, i know. It's frustrating to see a whole game go by with Haywood getting 5 rebounds. Understand, though, that he is not the focal point of the team, only the focal point of the defense and he's not bad at that. He IS a deterrent to players coming into the lane. EJ needs to stop trying to punish the guy by taking away minutes because Etan is not a better alternative. I'm anti-Jarvis 100% but a 1 year contract to start at the 2 for the veteran minimum might work as long as he's instructed no never take a shot unless there's less than 2 seconds left on the clock and hell has already frozen over. And that's ONLY if JCN isn't on the team.

Posted by: mark | July 11, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I saw at least half of the game last night, on delayed telecast by Comcast. Our young guys showed a lot of talent. I only wish there were enough spots to take more of them this year. But then, if we did what would Eddie Jordan do with them - bench them and play the starting five 45 minutes every game?

I agree with Lou & George T. - EJ needs to do his job, his whole job. While the coach's main job is to win ball games, he also needs to keep his players healthy, his bench motivated, and his younger guys involved. Otherwise, you get what we got - burned out, injured starters, and bench/support players who are lost in the playoffs because they didn't get enough playing time with everyone else.

Posted by: rgz | July 11, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Etan make 10% of the team cap space and that is too much money?

I think Haywood has infiltrated the Blog. That is my only explanation of all this Etan talks. Etan was not the player last year that pouted and cried like a baby when he was benched last season. He worked harder. But because of some mysterious plus minus figure, (Hell if I played with Gil, Caron and AJ I'm sure I would come out with a nice plus minus as well) we should keep a non-rebound center, when that is all we need from the position????

As far as the first game of summer league haters go, Do you even understand basketball?? You throw a team together in 5 days when NONE (besides Hall and Pinnock) have ever played together before. You fly across the country and the next day play in a game against a team from that time zone that has already played 2 or 3 games. And to top it off that have a serious NBA baller on the team. Oh did I forget to mention that the likely hood of any player from this roster getting major minutes next season is??? We basically talking about the last 3 to 5 spots of the 15 man roster here. This is just a chance to get a look at what the team has to work with in training camp.

As to the crappy feed of last night game. I would place the blame on NBA TV and not Comcast as I am sure that they are getting there feed from them.

Posted by: Pg Posse(Go west Green and Durant) | July 11, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I am definitely in the "let DeShawn walk" camp. Is it possible that Ernie has no intention of signing DeShawn and is only throwing out contract offers in order to satisfy Gilbert and push JCN to sign? I've never gotten the feeling that Ernie is all that enamored with DeShawn as a player. Could this all be for show?

Posted by: Tal | July 11, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd place blame on his agent, and not DeShawn. Rosters are filling up, and MLEs are dissipating quickly. If DS was going to get an offer from another team, that would have happened already. Agent is not thinking clearly.

At this point, Wizards should sign JCN to a reasonable contract, and offer DS whatever's left. DS can now hit open threes, but needs serious work on ballhandling skills. He doesn't have a comfortable dribble, especially with his off hand.

Regarding Etan, I think when the Wiz matched the offer sheet from Milwaukee they were hoping he'd continue to improve in other facets of his game. Oops.

Posted by: Stinkmeister | July 11, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Someone should tell DS that $15 million is an amazing amount of money. It might be chump change by NBA standards, but it is a wonderful bonanza for everyone else. The guy is not a starter on most teams, since most teams want shooting guards who can shoot. The Wiz are one of the few exceptions to that.

Anyway, DS' greed could be a big break for the Wiz. Let him walk if he can. Then sign JCN--who CAN shoot--and get some new guards into the mix. This is a plus.

When DS realizes the great situation he has with the Wiz, he could come back and sign anyway. He would be welcomed here (for the right price) for his tough play, defense, and good teamwork.

Posted by: Ed | July 11, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Sign JCN and let DS walk. The last thing we need to do is ditch what could be the Spanish version of Ginobli without ever even seeing what he can do in the NBA. At the very least he'll be a competent roleplayer--just like DS. At the very best, who knows?

Keep Haywood. Play him. Competent 7' centers are rare in this league. EJ needs to figure out how to make their relationship work, because who are we realisticaly going to replace him with that would be any better?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

PG Posse, I don't think that we like Haywood as much as recognize that Etan is NOT the answer. I've posted this before but take a look at this...

nothing has changed in regard to the weaknesses that he has. The only thing is..on the right team, what he brings to the table is enough to win. All we need is a PF who can really rebound. Haywood dunks anything near the rim, plays decent defense, and grabs the occasional rebound. I'm sure he'd average 7 or 8 if he played a full game. We shouldn't expect anything more from him. Etan has proven that he can't do even that. He's a limited player because of his size. Plus, he's always hurt. I'm no Haywood fan but he's the best we have at the position by far.

Posted by: mark | July 11, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

while we're on the Etan vs. Brendan topic, this profile is interesting, as well.

I've always thought that he should be a 4, not a 5 but his foot speed may not allow for it. Have we ever tried it?

Posted by: mark | July 11, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Some thoughts from the game last night:

- Love McGuire. I think he might be in the regular rotation from day one.
- You can see the talent in Pecherov, but (1) it looks like he has spent a lot of time working out by himself on the court; and (2) the people who thought he would be getting serious minutes this year got a quick lesson.
- Similarly, with Young you see the talent, but you can see he is not going to be assuming the starting SG role anytime soon.
- I had hopes for Aaron Miles, but no.
- Why isn't Donell Taylor playing in summer league? Why isn't Blatche? Diop, Marcus Banks and a bunch of veterans are playing. What is the excuse for our young guys?
- "Juan Carlos Navarro, here is a one-way, first class plane ticket to Dulles. Our limo will pick you up when you arrive."

Posted by: Sean | July 11, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

People look at Thomas height and think he can play PF. he can't. Thomas is a C, not a PF.

As for DeShawn, if he's true he's holding out for $18 mil, Grunfeld should simply stop taking his agent's calls. You can't reason with crazy people.

Posted by: kalorama | July 11, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I really think Ernie is going through all of this trouble to sign Stevenson is to appease Gilbert. Otherwise why are they still haggling with him. Stevenson is not in demand. At some point Ernie should leave a take it or leave it offer to him. Betcha he'll take it. I was looking forward to JCN to see what he good do. We really don't know how this all will play out. We'll have to be patient.

Posted by: DWiz | July 11, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Its Deshawn and his agent. 4/18 would get them the same average as Matt Carroll. Its clear from Carroll being mentioned by WaPo writers a few times, and now the demand matching his, that they see this price point as crucial. I just hope its not for some petty reason like "he played in the D league while I was a #1 pick". thats a "posse reason" as in his agent asys its good money and then someone in his posse convinces him its a slight to his manhood to accept less than Carroll. Can't put much stock in Deshawn's decision making abilities at this point though.

Someone asked about who Ernie might target if Deshawn doens't budge. The answer should be Devin Brown and Ime Udoka. Either could be available for 3 million give or take.

Both are solid defenders, edge Udoka. Ime also shoots better from 3 point range. Brown is more of a glue guy who can do a little of everything. Scored at the same clip as Deshawn for the Hornets.

It was mentioned in the Portland press that Udoka had a 4 years $12 million offer. Blazer GM Pritchard said "he should take it."

of course the obvious counter move is to sign Navarro. Best case scenario would be signing both Navarro and one of Udoka/Brown using the MLE.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 11, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sean, Blatche isn't playing because he is not under contract. Few restricted FA are playing. Detroit is hoping to sign theirs (Amir Johnson) so he can join the team soon.

Can't speak for Donnell other than that he isn't under contract either. Was he asked to play? We don't even know that.

Pesh looked good enough form outside, but if I'm responsible for his development (paging Coach Grant) his jumper is the last thing I'm worried about. He and Blatche need the weight room and work against bigger stronger players more than they need 500 more jumpers.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 11, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"I have no idea what Ernie will do if talks with DeShawn hit a wall (and they might)."

I told you Ivan, you're gonna owe me a steak dinner. ;)

Deshawn never learned his lesson.....11.2 points a game.

Sign Navarro, Ernie, do the right thing.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 11, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"Pech still looks like a 4. So is Blatche. So we must do something about the Etan Haywood situation."

I watched that game and agree 100% with Rev on this.

Pech has HUGE legs but no upper body, he really need to fix that. :P

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 11, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think the unknown talent and ceiling of JCN is our best friend right now. If we let him play in the NBA and find out hes garbage we get nothing. At best he averages mid double figures. Look around thats easy to find in this league. He is worth much more to the wizards as trade bait. Getting rid of Etan's contract and Jamison's 16mil coming off the books allows us to be major players in FA next year.
- Oh yeah this is definily EJ's last year.

Posted by: Outoftownfan | July 11, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

This is our roster next season:

1- Gilbert Arenas
2- DeShawn Stevenson
3- Caron Butler
4- Antawn Jamison
5- Brendan Haywood

Bench (in order of who comes in first)

Antonio Daniels
Darius Songalia
Hakim Warrick (via trade w/ Memphis for Etan, Navarro, and future draft pick)
Andre Blatche
Oleksiy Pecherov
Michael Ruffin
Nick Young
Calvin Booth
Dominic McGuire
Donnell Taylor

This squad will make it to the Eastern Conference Finals and then sign Arenas to a long contract in the 2008 offseason. What happens after that is anybody's guess.

Posted by: Barno | July 11, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Out of Town:

Maybe we can't assume Wiz can sign Gil to the max AND be major FA players next year.

The good ones are locked in before they get to be FA. The others--those who are left--are overpriced and often of advanced age.

The best strategy is to find and develop the young guys. This means taking a chance on Blatch, signing JCN and hoping he will break through and be the equivalent of an expensive FA, and developing Pech.

But yes, by moving AD and Antawn, money is freed up to pay FA.

Posted by: Ed | July 11, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't put too much hope on Antawn being moved. Not only is he not going to be traded, in all likelihood, he'll be re-signed when his current deal is done.

Posted by: kalorama | July 11, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn is playing a game a chicken with a GM that appears to have all of the leverage. I can't believe he would do this again after last year. He is turning down an almost $3 million/year raise for about 15% of what the Wiz are offering(differnce of 15 mil to 18 mil), even though his stats are exactly the same the past two years. That's crazy. If JCN is so excited to get over here, we should sign him and let DS see what he can get elsewhere.

Posted by: CurtisLee | July 11, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

i actually like the idea of signing Devin Brown using the MLE exception. He's pretty much the same player for the hornets just like DS was for the wizards. We can easily signed him for peanuts as opposed to overpaying DS 4 mil a year and run the risk of losing Gilbert and AJ due to salary cap issues. It makes perfect sense. B.T.W., J.C.N has been compared to Juan Dixon by his own best friend, Pau Gasol(As Michael Lee stated yesterday on Washington Post Live).

Posted by: billy | July 11, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If Deshawn leaves, the Wiz can replace his production at a cheaper cost without overpaying someone elsee's FA. Jarvis Hayes or Roger Mason can probably manage to put up 10 points in 30 mpg.

Posted by: kalorama | July 11, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

RE: "Roger Mason can probably manage to put up 10 points in 30 mpg."

You're right, Chuck Mason probably can manage 10 pts a game...IF HE TAKES 30 SHOTS!!!!

Posted by: Barno | July 11, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

we can't just get back warrick and a pick from memphis for etan. the salaries aren't even close.

just read on espn that the mle is about 5.5 mil, and the luxury tax threshold is almost $68 mil. according to hoopshype, our current salary total, including young and pech is just over $60.

so that leaves us 8 mil for a sg and blatche. if we pay almost 5 mil to DS we have only 3 to over blatche. i say we focus on retaining blatche first, and used whatever is left over to sign either ds or jcn, whichever one is willing to take the money.

Posted by: JC | July 11, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If we are re-signing Deshawn to make Arenas happy, then we should get rid of Deshawn, Arenas and Grunfeld. Deshawn is not worth that price/cap space; Arenas, who by his own admission, refuses to be a 'leader', should stop poisoning the team by prima donna meddling in personnel decisions; and Grunfeld should be tossed for wilting before his star and not doing his job, which is to stockpile the best available talent. Truth is, we don't need Arenas, either. I know most will disagree, but do we really want a third of our cap space to go to a small shooting guard pretending to be a point guard, who plays no defense and who refuses/is too self-possessed to be a team leader? If we sign him to a long-term six-year deal, we will be good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to advance far in them, until 2014. While all-star smalls are nice to have, all-star bigs win championships. Who will we afford with $20m per season invested in Arenas and Deshawn? Meanwhile, Ernie, re-sign Blatche, he's the most fluid natural big we have, then Jordan, play him. And give Navarro a look. He'll be cheap to sign, and has potentially all-star quality point guard talent, something DC hasn't had since... ever.

Posted by: glaytham | July 11, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Roger Mason is without a doubt the worst chucker the world has seen since George Costanza. He's not NBA quality; he's not even D-League quality."

Really? Well given that, during the playoffs, he averaged the exact same number of PPG as Stevenson while playing fewer than half as many minutes, taking one-third as many shots, and hitting more than twice the FG% (and more than three times the 3pt%) then what does that say about DeShawn?

Posted by: kalorama | July 11, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse