Wiz finish SL on two game win streak

The summer Wiz won again this afternoon, capping the LVSL with a 79-67 win over Milwaukee. Oleksiy Pecherov was held out with a mild left ankle sprain, an injury he suffered during Saturday night's win over Cleveland. Dominic McGuire led the way tonight with 18 points on five of 12 shooting, Mike Hall added 17 points and six rebounds and Nick Young scored 11 points on four of nine shooting.

The team got better as the week went along and it showed in the final results on Saturday and Sunday. Pecherov was shaky in the first two games but busted out with that 26-point, 14-rebound game against Detroit on Friday and played well again on Saturday. McGuire was consistent all week. He generally played under control, showed that he can defend multiple positions, made good decisions and had no problem getting to the basket when he put the ball on the deck. He's got a chance to be a player.

Young showed that he can score - he averaged 14.8 points in five games - but is obviously adjusting to the pace of the NBA game, as evidenced by 16 turnovers. The good news is that the kid has no problem getting his shot off. Still, he tends to fade away unnecessarily on his jumper and that affects his body balance on the release.

Another bright spot was the all-around solid play of PG Aaron Miles. He ran the team well all week, didn't turn the ball over and got the ball to the right people in the right places. Aaron is never going to be a big scorer - he wasn't at Kansas when I covered him some as a young reporter for the KC Star - but he has an NBA handle and seems to understand what he can and cannot do. I wouldn't be surprised if he earns an invitation to camp. Eddie mentioned him tonight when breaking the week down.

Eddie was generally pleased at how the young guys carried themselves all week.

"I thought they handled it pretty well," Jordan said. "I thought they really tried to run what we wanted them to run. I thought Wes (Unseld Jr.) was good - he got on them a few times and they responded very well - and now it's just a matter of getting to training camp and playing against the big boys. We'll see what happens."

When I get back to DC tomorrow (taking the red eye back tonight), my boys will ask me for a take on the week and I must admit that I have to be cautious. I learned that it can be a mistake to place too much emphasis on what one sees in summer league last year when Andray Blatche played so well only to struggle badly during the preseason. That said, I have a feeling that Pecherov and McGuire can help this team right away. Miles is intriguing, especially when you consider that the Wiz haven't had a true PG on that roster since Steve Blake left town. (I consider AD more of a combo guard)

As for Young, I get the feeling that he'll have nights when he makes folks jump out of their (expensive) seats at Verizon Center with some spectacular stuff and there will be other nights when he'll have you guys throwing the remote control at the television before ripping off critical posts to my blog (you know who you are bernardking) in the wee hours of the night. In time, I see him harnessing that athletic ability and becoming a real scorer in this league (sort of like Gilbert had to do as a young, often out-of-control player coming out of Arizona.)

-No news updates on Andray Blatche or Juan Carlos Navarro today. Memphis and Miami are among the teams that have shown interest in JNC but so far, Ernie hasn't received an offer to his liking.

By Ivan Carter  |  July 15, 2007; 7:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz win!
Next: Checking in

Comments

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

second

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad Lee Humphrey didn't get any PT to show what kind of range he has. Doesn't make any sense not to let the dude get some run.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 15, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Watching the 4th quarter now, and I've officially fallen in love with Dominic Mcguire.

What kind of lineup would he fit in for the wizards? I'm imagining:

1-Gil
2-Caron
3-D-Mac
4-Jamison
5-Haywood

Posted by: Andy S | July 15, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I think DMac can handle better than Caron, switch em..

DMac at the 2, Caron at 3

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

A possibly bigger question is who's coming off the bench and what order?

D-Song
Opech
AD
DS
Nick
Miles?
Ruff
Booth
Etan
Humphrey?
Pinnock?
Hall?
Visser (only if Etan gets traded)

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 15, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

What happens if nobody makes an offer for Navarro that is acceptable to the Wizards? If the Wizards themselves can't afford to bring him over, do they still retain his rights for next year??

Posted by: larry roberts | July 15, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

What an awesome blog this is! I almost never sign the comments pages on the Post (overwhelming with all the responses), but I just want you to know I love reading this.

I second Larry Roberts's question: What if we don't find a suitable offer for JCN? Are there any other players we can move to create space for him?

Posted by: Joe the Fan | July 15, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I was watching tonight's taped game, and the announcers were saying that JCN's euro team was asking for 13.5 mil as a buyout. Don't know how accurate this is, but hope it's not true.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 15, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Yea I heard that 13.5mil figure too, I figured they were jsut behind on the enws and hadnt heard about the lowered buyout yet.

Posted by: Andy S | July 15, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I definitely agree that McGuire already looks really to help the second team. I agree with you on Nick Young - he's got flashes of brilliance and then lots of moments where he's out of control. I'm not sure I agree that Pecherov is ready to contribute though. He looks like he might need a bit more coaching on the overall flow of things - maybe give him a half-season of practice first. But wow, he really looked good for those two games. As long as he hits his outside shot, can drive decently to the right, and can rebound, he definitely will get minutes.

Posted by: sfam | July 15, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda hoping that Dmac overtakes Young on the off-the-bench chart.

Watching young reminds me of watching last year's hawks & bobcats. Our games are too important to let immature players learn on the job.

Even though Young may have more upside, he is much more mistake-prone than Dmac. I can't see EJ giving minutes to this guy anytime soon.

Posted by: Cballer | July 15, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We would still keep Navarro's rights..
but he might be upset with the team and wouldn't want to play here next year.
He's waited a long time to play in the NBA...
on the other hand, we've waited a long time for him too..
So he might just go back and play another year for Spain and we can sign him next year.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry about him being upset with us...

This is a business, he negotiated his contract with FC Barcelona and the excessive buyout, he knew that would mean he wasn't going to the NBA for a while. He can't expect us to jump through hoops and change all of our strategies the instant he changes his mind.

So, has he been waiting a long time to play in the NBA? More like he has been making the NBA wait for him. He is too smart to get upset with the team that holds his rights on this issue. Just like Ernie is too smart to get upset with him for playing in spain for years. It's a business. JCN doesn't have a posse in his ear talk crap about respect and whatnot.

-g

Posted by: greg | July 15, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Uh, what? Suddenly DS-2 is coming off the bench? That's not happening.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

My god the ESPYs are so boring..... But have you seen the Under Armor girls? Good googly-moogly....Boom-Boom-Tap, ladies.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I need help. I haven't had the ability to watch these Summer League games before, so I don't know how they translate to the real world.

From the first game this summer, I've really been liking what Miles has been showing. (Likewise McGuire and Hall but that's another conversation.) When a rookie point guard makes slick passes in traffic to other rookies, are they twice as hard because the games are sloppy and everyone's inexperienced, or are they twice as easy for basically the same reasons?

In my own limited experience, when truly next-level talent appeared on college courts, especially early in the year, their potential assists were often lost because routinely talented people weren't prepared for them. Since most of these guys are supposed to be next-level when they arrive, is Miles mostly good or mostly lucky?

Posted by: Bill Carr | July 15, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, just caught you on ESPN's special about Gilbert, pretty smooth delivery, and the grey turtleneck was a nice touch.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | July 15, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

We need to bring in Hassan Adams...defensive stopper

Posted by: Mo (Cleveland) | July 15, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

any chance we can get Kurt Thomas, and strawberry from phoenix for etan and navarro?

Posted by: wizfanatic | July 15, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

We would need our heads examined to give up Etan and JNC for Strawberry and Navarro. Kurt Thomas has maybe one good year left in his frame. Strawberry might not ever start in the NBA. JNC is going to be Top 5 in the NBA in assists for a very long time...

Posted by: malharden | July 15, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

sure, but why in the hell would the wiz want to do that? you can do better than that, come on.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

JCN+ AD for Mike Conley Jr.

Posted by: Fulvio | July 15, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Alana Beard and Bill Frist for Allen Ray

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

JCN + Manute bol + Unabomber for Gasol

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Barca didn't lower the buyout. Evidently they just reached an agreement on having JCN pay over time instead of a lump sum.

Barca's president has also said that they'd welcome him back if it didn't work out this year.

Posted by: JJ | July 15, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I want to throw a name out there. This veteran player would give the Wizards some much needed defense, big guy with veteran experience and he has roots in this area: Dikembe Mutombo. He's an unrestricted free agent. He would be a great addition to this team. He can rebound and play defense. Two things the Zards lack.

With all the scoring we have already in Gil, Caron and Jamison, we need someone to just play some hard nosed defense and grab boards. I don't see Haywood doing either of these. I say package JCN and Etan in a trade and free up some cash to sign Dikembe.

Posted by: bol | July 16, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

O've heard Mutombo said that he doesn't want to play in Washington on the John Thompson show

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of the amount, nobody forced JCN's hand. He chose Barca and he loves playing there. So if he winds up being there an extra year he would likely recognize the situation was largely his creation.

A lot of top Euro players come over with less hassle.

Posted by: greg | July 16, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

I could see Dmac coming off the bench to spell caron in some situations. The regular season is still a long way off.

Posted by: greg | July 16, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

JCN Top 5 in assists in the NBA for a very long time? Are you nuts? He's a shoot 1st combo guard who's never played a minute in the NBA. Lets not get too crazy w/ the predictions.

Posted by: akmed0 | July 16, 2007 2:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm also a little surprised Lee Humphrey did not get some PT. It would have been interesting to see how well he extends his range to the NBA 3-point line. Did he get any minutes or shots at all?
Everybody seems to have nothing but praise for D-Mac, it would be quite a letdown if he struggles too much during training camp, hopefully that won't happen.

Posted by: low | July 16, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I just wanna say, "Pecherov Stinks!" No apparent reason for it. I just like saying it. Hahaha.

Posted by: Baller4Life | July 16, 2007 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I am encouraged by DMac. I think he will have the most immediate impact because his game is efficient. What I mean is that he can stiil have an impact on the game offensively with limited touches. His defensive effort is already superior to that of AJ and Tough Juice, so I think DMac will get the most run out of all of our young players. Can DMac fulfill his immense potential?

As far as Nick Young is concerned, I think anyone who watched these summer league games sees the same thing. A young man who is extremely athletic, can get to the cup, can create his own shot, but is rather inefficent. Too much dribbling, generally poor decision-making, almost no defensive effort. Young is clearly a first round talent but he won't get much run his first year until he improves his efficiency.

Posted by: Essex | July 16, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I second the opinion that we owe JCN nothing, If we can't come up with a deal we like, he has to wait til next year. We waited for him...now he waits for us. At some point this year, a guard will get hurt and his value will go up even more. Nick Young? Dribbles too much and doesn't seem to be able to do anything but shoot. Every time he touches it, it's like there's 10 seconds left on the shot clock and he has to shoot. (even if there's 20 seconds left). Maybe he was told to shoot to get comfortable? Pech is deadly when wide open but I wonder what happens when he's guarded. It was encouraging to see him put the ball on the floor and go to the rim. Every time he did that, he was fouled. McGuire? Good all around player. Won't be the shotblocker he was in college but still pretty good on the defensive end. He appeared a little light in the azz against guys who score in the paint but he'll get stronger. He has a decent handle and sees the floor well. I like teh lineup mentioned earlier with him starting and caron at the 2 but it ain't happening. I wonder if he and Blatche are redundant. Is Blatche strong enough to play the 4? If not, how does he get any minutes since Caron is a young all start at the 3? Pech HAS to play the 4, right? So where does Blatche fit in? Do we consider packaging him in with Etan and JCN? I just don't see how we have minutes for all of these guys that need them. Though I've been a huge fan of Andray since he got here, we may have to decide between him, McGuire, and Pech. It looks to me like Andray might be gone.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Well said Essex, I essentially saw the same thing with DMac and Young. Visser is a big project - not a good finisher and on defense, he's a fouling maniac. He does bring a lot of effort but right now, he's D League material.

Pesh might be able to give some minutes at the 4 or 5 occasionally if he can just remember to play with controlled aggression and intensity. He does have good basketball skills and IQ, just lacks NBA experience and intensity. Hopefully playing with the Wiz vets, he'll have very little pressure and can play smart and freely. Obviously he needs to hit the gym much more as he grows since his upperbody is so underdeveloped right now.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It's clear to me that Ernie believes that the lineup we had last year will win if they stay healthy. Why else would he insist on keeping DS? So what does our depth chart look like (assuming we keep what we have now)? You know Eddie loves veterans. This is what I'm thinking that Eddie will do.
PG-Arenas,Daniels,Miles
SG-Stevenson,Young, Daniels
SF-Butler,McGuire, Young
PF-Jamison,Songaila,Pech,Blatche,McGuire
C- Haywood, Booth, Pech, Songaila

Since Eddie compared McGuire to a young Kenyon Martin, its reasonable to assume that he likes him and he may be higher up on the depth chart. To support my earlier post, do we have room for all of these guys? Depth is good but seriously, how many teams have 10 or 12 man rotations? Probably none! Somebody is gonna ride a lot of pine and the odd man out might be Andray since Pech can play the 5 in spots and McGuire is a good all around player and Eddie will find a way to use him. Do we have too much talent finally?

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Can Young do any worst than Jarvis did off the bench last season...by mid season next year, Young will be the six or seven man off the bench. You can't leave that type of talent on bench.

Posted by: Big Mel | July 16, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Mark, this is no time to give up on Blatche, he's still young and raw. He needs to work hard, develop, and play smartly on the court - in a way he's like Nick Young but at the PF position and it has only been 2 years since he was in HS. Neither Pesh or Blatche is going to play a ton of minutes this year, they will earn from anywhere between 10-25 mins/gm depending on how they "get" it.

Eventually we'll see how the depth will play out, but you never have enough big men and getting rid of a young talent like Blatche because you think you have enough talent at that position is stupid. We had Webber, Howard, and Sheed at one point and decided to ship Sheed thinking we didn't need him and really didn't know what he was capable of...we don't need to make that same mistake again and again.

Also in the playoffs, big men are even more valuable with matchups and injuries being the key to winning a series or not. If you notice every year, the Spurs and Pistons always stock up on extra big men even though it doesn't look like they need it - that's why it always goes under the radar. Neither team has really needed to go deep into that depth, but it's smart strategy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that he's gonna be, but, after watching Nick Young this past week, I think he has some Kobe in him. The only question will be does he have "it" in him to make himself better on defense.

Posted by: C.Bell | July 16, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of Blatche and have always been. I used to get mad last year when Eddie would take him out for missing a defensive rotation. He'd come in, get a couple rebounds, a block, and then get taken out. I like him a lot but I just don't know if Eddie does. I've definitely not given up on him and actually think he's a decent version of Jared Jeffries. Where does he get his minutes, though? I'm a little higher on McGuire right now but that may be because I just watched him play a few games. I hope we keep him but we need to keep him and play him. Based on how many injuries we had last year, Blatche would have been starting in the playoffs had I been the coach.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Love DMAC, Young and Pech, also Miles and Hall would make a fine addition at the end of the bench.
It all does come down to EJ, in whom I do not have the confidence at this point, to keep everyone happy. Remember he is coaching for his life. The message is quite clear, that either he puts it together or EG is ready with the axe.I am afraid again that he will ride the big 3 for all he can get. A lot has been implied by so many turning down the assistant coaching position. Am sure EJ would not still be here if he was not just another adopted son of the owner.
Am more than amused by all the Navarro speculation.
EG spent time in Europe watching him this last year, but somehow the bloggers seem to know more than him.
We have to trust EG's evaluations, even if we do not know what it is. It will all play out in the next few months, and for perhaps the first time since the Bullet glory years, hope springs eternal

Posted by: mricklen | July 16, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Young was kind of disappointing. He put up some questionable shots and disappeared for long stretches.

Whoever said DMac handles the ball better than Caron, you have a good sense of humor. Maybe in a couple of years that will be true, but now? You gotta be kidding. No knock on DMac, who played very impressively.

Miles looked good but I guess the question is whether he can defend at an NBA level.

Posted by: Mitch | July 16, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

McGuire would get his pocket picked often if we tried to make him the starting 2. Even Caron would have to step it up as far as ball handling. I still think it would work, though. Unfortunately, this team is working on a one year deal and not because of Gilbert. I'm confident he'll be back. The thing is, after this year, Jamison may be gone. Without him, our team makeup changes completely. We're more athletic, more defensive minded and no longer undersized at the 4. On the down side, our spacing is different because whoever takes his place may not be a 3 point threat (unless it's Pech) and that means less driving lanes for Gil. The scoring should be more evenly distributed. We should enjoy this year because our 08 Wiz could be a lot different, particularly because we may also have a new coach and a new system.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

After this season, if Blatche improves and shows more veteran smarts and Eddie doesn't give Blatche more run, then Eddie may not even be around seeing as how Ernie has kinda put him on notice.

First off, I love how DMac plays but he's not a replacement for Blatche. He's 6'8" and even fully developed may never be any heavier than 225 or 230 lbs (currently 210 or so). He's got the ideal developing SF game and body. Caron plays the 3 but really is a 'tweener 2/3 with his game, lack of shotblocking ability, and height (6'6 3/4") closer to being a 2 but his rebounding ability, body strength and mass (235 lbs) is more like that of a 3. In time, with good 3 point range and consistency Caron and DMac can both play the 2 and 3 depending on the defensive matchups night in and night out. This can certainly work but at least one of them must develop that consistent 3 pointer or the offense won't have enough spacing for Gil to attack the cup.

DMac will eventually be good enough in a year or two that he'll command starting minutes and DS2 will be coming off the bench. I don't see Young being able to start with his mental game lacking right now for another 3 years but he'll be a handful off the bench scoring in bunches vs. 2nd stringers. We'll cross that bridge when we get there on who will play alongside Caron in the long run.

Blatche is 6'11" and already carries 240 but can put another 10-15 lbs. on without losing his quickness. He's got the best skills and body for being a 4 or even a 5 later on if he puts on a lot more weight. Ideally, he's a 4 with all the offensive skills and developing defensive skills to boot. Aside from Haywood, he's the only 4 or 5 who has the length, athleticism and timing to block shots well. It's still too early, but Pesh doesn't look to be much of a shotblocker but he'll bring other important skills to the table as a high post man.

The point is it's too early to worry about the depth of talent and PT since the talent will rise to the top and will most likely force Eddie's hand in playing him whoever it may be. Competition for PT will make all of those young guys that much better so that the guys that are coming off the bench are going to be weapons off the bench. Kinda like Atlanta's many young forwards like Childress and Marvin Williams can cause havoc off the bench with their skills, length, and effort.

Posted by: Wizzin' By Ya | July 16, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

please don't compare us to the hawks.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Let that sink in a minute -- can't defend summer league talent.

He has no future.

Posted by: Zonker | July 16, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Mark, I think you're just getting ahead of yourself. You list McGuire, Pesh, and Young like they all deserve 20 minutes a game. Its more likely they get closer to 8-10 per with plenty of DNP-CDs along the way.

Young and McGuire will take up some of the minutes that went to Jarvis and Roger Mason last season. Songalia and Blatche will be asked to spell Jamison and Caron more bring their minutes down from the high 30's.

None of them duplicate what Blatche does at 6'11 either. The team is set up to integrate Blatche into a larger role this season and eventually take Jamison's spot when his contract expires.

Posted by: Stringer | July 16, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

another thought we could trade JCN for a 1st Round top 5 or 10 Protected pick then we would be in for Roy Hibbert a good center who is 7′ 3″ this would be great for us....i believe Roy Hibbert could come in and start right away....he would be great he would be a good center maybe 14 ppg 10-11 rpg and 2-3 bpg that would be great for us

08/09 Line-Up

Gilbert Arenas, Antoinio Daniels, Aaron Miles
Nick Young, DeShawn Stevenson,
Caron Butler, Dominic McGuire, Darius Songaila
Antwan Jamison, Blatche/O-Pech
Roy Hibbert, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas

we could even do JCN + 2nd Round Draft Pick for 1st Round Top 5 -10 Proctected

That would leave us with 2 1st Round Draft Picks...we could get a defensive-minded SG

Posted by: Fulvio | July 16, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wizzin, I like your idea. In 2008, this is what I see ...
PG - Gil
SG- Caron
SF- McGuire
PF- Blatche
C- Haywood/Pecherov depending on the matchup

Now THAT gives us good defense and a team that is built to run.
With Young, Songaila, Pech, DS, Jamison coming off the bench, we should have some depth, too. More than likely, Jamison will be here but hopefuly the new coach makes him the 6th man like Dallas did. There's a reason he came off the bench in Dallas. He's a tweener.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Stringer, I don't see Young being ready to contribute any time soon but I just don't see many options at the 2 besides DS on this team. Pech is a veteran at this point albeit a NBA rookie. I would think that he'd be able to give us a solid 15. Blatche has been in the league for few years and on a lot of teams would be starting. I like Blatche taking Jamison's minutes now and bringing Tawn off the bench to gun. Wishful thinking, though. I guess that underscores my earlier point. What are we gonna do with all of this young talent? Develop it so they can play elsewhere? Unless we plan on saying 'Uh Oh' to Jamison after this season, there's not enough minutes to go around. I'm admittedly a homer but I think that Blatche is good enough to start and McGuire is good enough to play 15-20 now. Pech is good enough (make that tall enough) to play 15 now, too. ...especially if we get rid of Etan. Please don't put Booth in the rotation. I'd rather see Pech go 1-5 and get pushed around while getting experience than see Booth doing what he does.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

anon, you missed the point in me comparing the Wiz to the Hawks. The Hawks have a ton of talent but it's all in their forwards but have no guards except Joe Johnson but what they really need is a good point guard as a floor leader.

The point guard's job is to run the team which is easier said than done. Without the vision, skills, patience, knowledge, and experience to play point guard, one will make so many bad decisions especially in crunch time (where there's more pressure than ever) that no matter how talented you are, you can never recover. There is a reason you give the ball to your best playmaker - so he can do the right thing at the right time. If he can score, he will but more than likely he'll create and decide to give it up to the man with the best opportunity to score and the

The Hawks have plenty of them in Johnson, the Josh's, Marvin Williams and now Horford. They have so much young talent but no guard to point them in the right direction. Joe Johnson has some PG skills but not enough to run them full time. If Law can give them that floor leader to go with Johnson, they are going to be a force in the coming years with all their athleticism and talent. Horford is a rookie but his skills and size will easily make him a 15/10 guy and plays great defense at the 4. Shelden Williams can easily get you 10/10 - something the Wiz would love to get in Haywood or Etan but are not. And we haven't even talked about Marvin Williams or Josh Smith, potentially their most talented players but still too young.

Wiz have some depth on the roster, but nowhere near the amount of talent or depth that the Hawks do at the forward spots because Billy King just loves forwards and they've been in the lottery every year for who knows how long.

Posted by: Wizzin' By Ya | July 16, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Mark, I think Young can step in and help us right away. Not just for his shooting because that remains to be seen if he can knock it down with consistency, but for the simple fact that other than Gilbert, he's the only guy on the team that can break down his defender and get to the rim. If you look at what happened in the playoffs against the Cavs, that was our biggest weakness. Deshawn got exposed and as good as Caron is, he doesn't have the extra gear to take his man to the rack. Caron normally forces his man back to free up his perfect mid range jumper. That's why Young had the ball in his hands with the shot clock running down in the SL all the time. Its just a matter of time before he figures it out. I can honestly see him coming off the bench a la Ben Gordon, and having the same impact as Ben.

Posted by: C.Bell | July 16, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The wiz are in a completely different situation than the hawks. We have young talent in Blatch, Pesh, Young, and DMC; but these guys arent going to get the playing time that a team like the hawks could afford to give them. We have enough talent to win now, thats why EJ has such a hard time letting the young guys come in a make mistakes. And while our roster does lack a true point guard, putting the ball in the hoop has never been a problem for this team, defense has.

Posted by: anon. | July 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We have some quality options at the 4 even if Jamison isn't resigned (God forbid) or is the 6th man like many said. For solid minutes (20-25), we could even start Songaila if Blatche isn't quite ready. Songaila is a scrapping rebounder, good passer, and solid range on his J. He doesn't bring shot blocking skills but is extremely reliable and plays with high basketball IQ which would allow Blatche to earn more minutes at the 4 off the bench while Jamison could play the 3 for instant offense.

Posted by: Wizzin' By Ya | July 16, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

mark, that 08 lineup doesn't get us to the playoffs. The loss of Jamison creates a HUGE loss. I agree that he's not great defensively. If he was adequate on D, Jamison would be an every-year all-star, not just an occasional all star.

Blatch is nowhere near occasional-allstar status like Jamison.

That lineup gives us a Big Two, a backup starting at centers, and 2 before-their-prime players. Yikes. I hope we can resign Jamison. Do you think he'll take a pay cut?

Posted by: Cballer | July 16, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

CARON BUTLER IS NOT A 2 GUARD. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU TYPE IT.

Can he play the position for 3 to 6 minute spurts?? Yes. Is he a every day 2 guard.

WHY???

If for extended minutes he was playing the 2, others teams(like Detroit) would press the hell out of us forcing a ton of problems with Caron helping bring the ball up. Trap Gilbert and force him to give it up to Caron, and then the problems being.

Hence why everyone that mention Caron at the 2 guard has zero knowledge of bb with the exception of just throwing player into a game of NBA live.

CARON BUTLER IS NOT A 2 GUARD. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU TYPE IT.

Posted by: pg posse | July 16, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Caron could play 2 guard defensively, he did for most of the year 2 years ago because we had Jeffries (usually guarded by a power forward) who could handle the ball well enough to get it up the court and get the offense started. This is a role Blatche could evolve into. He has the ball handling ability handle the ball against a forward that is not used to pressuring the ball full court, which would keep Caron from being forced to become a ball handler.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

PG Posse, I agree that he is not a natural 2. That's why in an earlier post, I said " Even Caron would have to step it up as far as ball handling." The thing is, in 2007 it's not just the 2 who brings the ball up court. McGuire, Blatche can both handle it well enough to get it across halfcourt. You can't press both Gil AND Caron or you'd be giving up a dunk every time up. With good defenders behind him (Haywood, Blatche) Caron could be a 2 guard defensively. And if you think he's an all star posting up small forwards now, how good will he be posting up 2 guards? Saying "He's not a 2 guard no matter how many times you type it" is the same as saying "Jamison is not a 4 no many how many times you type it." It may be unconventional but it can work.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Regarding JCN's buyout, Miami Herald says will be less than 3 mil according to his agent.

Posted by: sagaliba | July 16, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Jamison, Arenas and Caron carried this team averaging over 35 minutes a game last year. Blatche, when he played, averaged 12. Only a few guys got over the 20 minutes per game, but based on summer league you think McGuire is already in that group? thats getting ahead of ourselves.

I think you're expecting too big a jump for AB. He still lacks the strength to play starter minutes. Love the kids talent and potential, but this is his transition year. He starts to eat into Jamison's minutes now, in preparation for taking over for him the following season.

I like that Pesh has played pro ball before, sure. At the same time, it was the Ukranian League. He can't be considered anything other than a rookie. The jump from that league to the NBA is harder than from D1 basketball IMO. His skills translate well in the long run but we saw how extended minutes wore into his legs in Vegas. In terms of immediate PT Songalia gives us most of what Pesh does, except some size and a little more range. If he isn't strong enough to be a factor inside despite his size he's gonna see lots more pine than time.

These guys not getting time right away is not an indictment of their potential. Its more so an acknowledgment that the transition into the NBA regular season ain't no joke and Eddie doesn't just toss guys out there either.

Posted by: Stringer | July 16, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

CBaller, it's hard to imagine a guy 2 years removed from an all star berth and making 18 mill per year going to the bench without complaining. No way he gets 18 mill in his next contract. I can imagine him getting less than Caron...maybe 6. If Blatche isn't ready to start by next year, he should be cut. Period. Personally, I think he's ready. That's why last year's playoffs made no sense to me. Face it, we had no chance going in. We knew that..the team and fans knew it. Wouldn't it have been a good time to get Blatche some PT and experience? If he could handle the playoffs, no way he'd be nervous during the regular season. He could not possibly have performed worse than some of the guys we had out there. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Looking at my lineup again, we'd have a hard time with starters scoring at times. You're right. I can't see many people keeping up with our 2nd team scoring wise, though. Jamison, Songaila, DS, Young, and Pech could probably have beaten a lot of those Bullets teams that we paid to watch.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Wizzin,

Great post regarding ATL's depth at forward, but I think you mean Billy Knight rather that Philadelphia's Billy King. They're almost the same person, but not quite.

Posted by: GBH | July 16, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

08/09 Line-Up

Gilbert Arenas, Antoinio Daniels, Aaron Miles
Nick Young, DeShawn Stevenson,
Caron Butler, Dominic McGuire, Darius Songaila
Antwan Jamison, Blatche/O-Pech
Roy Hibbert, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas

we could even do JCN + 2nd Round Draft Pick for 1st Round Top 5 -10 Proctected

Posted by: Fulvio | July 16, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

GBH, thanks for the correction. Billy Knight, Billy King, I get them confused all the time. lol

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Antawn average 30 and 9 in the playoffs. Also, didn't the team completely fold with him injured last winter?

Ok so he doesn't play defense. On this team, who does? If we can renegotiate his contract after this season I think we should keep him for another year or two for his veteren presence.

Posted by: Yup | July 16, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Fulvio, Songaila was never a 3 - he's way too slow footed for that. He's AJ's backup more than anything at the 4 and some 5 since Eddie loves smallball.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

AJ did do well in 4 games versus the Cavs. he's a match-up nightmare for them. I'd love to see him brought back for a reasonable figure. I also think he knows that to stay relevant in the NBA he's gonna need to cut back his minutes as he hits 33-34-35.

That 16 mil in expiring salary is gonna loom large at the trading deadline though.

Posted by: JJ | July 16, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Roy Hibbert? Sure, why not. As long as we have room for OJ Mayo too.

Stop dreaming, Hibbert will not be a Wizard.

The comments on this blog keep getting more and more ridiculous. It's almost like a Wizznutz entry, but lacking their subtlety.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Young + JCN for Yi!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz may not have a true pass first PG, but Gil has extraordinary quickness, speed, strength, deep range, slashing ability and enough passing skills that he puts so much onus on the defense to make very difficult choices when he's going hard at you. Even if they do make the right choices, he can still beat them and/or has enough passing skills to make others better. The offense Eddie runs certainly has helped, but there's a reason why Hughes, Caron, Stevenson, Jeffries have had their best seasons by far and most importantly played EFFICIENTLY alongside Gil. Gil DOES make them all better, what he lacks is defense or defensive focus. On most teams without a true point guard to lead them, winning and finishing games can be a problem but on the Wiz, like GS' Baron Davis, Gil USUALLY makes enough smart plays to allow the Wiz to win and he's shown that since he joined the team and even in his 1st two seasons at GS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

JCN + Humphrey + rights to Lee Harvey Oswald for Durant.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The key point is that the Wizards bench should be a lot better. Eddie Jordan will have a lot of options up front, if he chooses to use them. The big key, if the Wizards don't deal Jamison is to cut his minutes back so that he is more effective, esp. on the second night of back-to-backs. And with McGuire, Pecherov added to the mix, the Wizards ought to be able to spell Jamison more often.
Young is perfect for us in the sense that yes, his decisionmaking needs work, but in 3-6 minute spurts he could really change a game with his athleticism and ability to get to the tin and score.
The best thing for the Wizards this year is that there is no way Ruffin or Arvis is going to be on this team. That is a big positive.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 16, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I know what you mean Stringer, but how much time do you want to give guys before we play them? I think Antawn(30 minutes) + Blatche(18) > Antawn(40) + Blatche(8). I really do think that our Big 3 would be MORE effective with more rest. If we really trust Ernie, then we have to trust that after 2 or 3 years, a guy should be able to step in and at least give us some minutes. I'm not one of the old school guys who thinks rookies can't contribute. Is there anyone on this blog that doesn't think that McGuire can give us now what Jarvis did last year? I think Al McGuire or Mark McGuire could give us what Jarvis did last year. There's something about a guy who has first round talent that gets snubbed and falls to the second round... McGuire already said that he's got a chip on his shoulder. I think that he and Big Baby will prove some people wrong. On another note, aren't we all glad we didn't get Sean Williams from BC? He's stinking up the joint in Orlando.

Posted by: mark | July 16, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Good off the bench player Joe Smith signed with the Bulls for 2 years at $10M total. I suppose that's a fair number for his contributions. Good veteran presence and role player.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know what 1st round pikcs Miami has? The article mentions Wizards talking with Miami:

Miami has nothing but possible cap room for us to get. I would not want to do a trade with them. We keep Etan instead of resigning Booth and trade JCN for a high first rounder. Now if another team is wiling to eak Etan then yes a player and pick, but someone who will come and contribute at the center positon in a real way. no deal with Miami.

Posted by: Arm-Chair GM | July 16, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

McGuire could definately play the 2, in the same role Jeffries did his last season here when Caron played the 3 and Jeffries was at sg and defended multiple positions.

Posted by: Darnell | July 16, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Control yourselves. I like McGuire too. the guy has a good game, but he shot is not NBA-ish yet. A little slow and will get blocked. but he can work on that. Same for Young, he can score but he needs to become a more reliable/consistent shooter. honestly, Pecherov did not impress. I guess I have to get used to the new NBA. he seemed to shoot from the same 2 spots. the few drives to the basket will be eaten alive in the NBA.

Posted by: RobGreg | July 16, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

mark, I'm not old school about playing rookies. I'm current-school about expecting them to play consistent productive minutes in a season thats at least twice as long as any they've ever played before.

What teams have been successful playing 3 rookies 15-20 minutes per game? Top rookies in minutes played were Foye, Roy and Rondo (23). All played for teams in the lottery.

On the other hand you have guys like Thebolosha (12), Tyrus Thomas (13), Marcus Williams (16) and Farmar (15) who played on playoff teams. I know there are other reasons, but it re-affirms my thought that adjustments in minutes will come from guys like AB and Songalia taking more of AJ's time while McGuire and Young help out at the wing at closer to 10 per.

the other thing about these kids is staying on the floor (foul trouble/turnovers). Its not something they had to worry about in the summer league. they'll all be over-matched physically more often than not. Who do they guard and can they stay on the floor?

As for your AJ/AB math, thats exactly what I was talking about when I said that AB would "start eating into his minutes now". But there is a big difference between playing more (20) and starting (30+).

I agree they become more effective when allowed to rest more. I'm certain Gilbert's defense would improve if he knew he wasn't going to have to carry the team for 40 minutes per on most nights too.

Posted by: Stringer | July 16, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree with Darnell that McGuire can play some two for us. He seems to be a guy that will give Eddie alot of flexibility with his ability to defend different positions and cause match up problems for other teams. McGuire,Songalia, Pecherov, Young, Blatche, and Daniels if he's back, along with Etan, maybe Hall and Miles give us 14 players if no other moves are made. That would be assuming the same starting five as the start of last season of Haywood, Jamison, Butler, Stevenson and Arenas. Not a bad team except for the center situation.
Assuming no other move is made would it be possible to sign Navarro with the 1.8m vet exception? On the surface the automatic assumtion would be no, but the way things played out with Stevenson I'd say there was an understanding between the Wizards and his agent on what the Min. was that the Wiz would offer if he opted out. They tried to beat the bushes for more, but didn't get it and had to come back to what they knew was on the table all along.
I think that Stevenson knew what that offer would be when he signed the min. deal last year. In effect we've gotten 5 yrs. for about 16m.
Next year, Jamison will have to sign for less if he wants to stay around, yes Gil will be opting out but Ernie already knows what that will cost. Grunfeld should have room to work a similar arrangement with Navarro that was worked with Stevenson. Note to Grunfeld, do not sign contracts and stick in a desk!
Doesn't leave us with the ideal roster, alot of guys lookig for minutes on the perimeter and still the same sorry centers we've had for awhile now. But it could put us in position to look for a trade deadline deal if nothing else comes up before camp.
I still think Grunfeld's got something else brewing to move a couple of guys to create cap space but that will have to wait until the Blatche situation plays out. I really don't think Dallas will offer him the MLE unless it's part of some bigger deal. Other than that there doesn't seem to be alot of rumbling about Blatche. In the end it looks like we'd like to tie him up to a similar contract to 4 yr. 12m that Jamir got from Detroit.

Posted by: GM | July 16, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Miami has little to help us and we have little reason to help them. if I'm Ernie I make no qualms about letting them know that any package from them would have to blow-away Memphis' offer. Navarro would understand the concept of not helping the enemy.

Best case would be getting Haslem and a first rounder for Etan and JCN. I have to believe they'd get something better from Memphis.

Posted by: JJ | July 16, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Miami is not giving up their starting 4 and a 1st for that package. The only thing Miami is going to realistically offer the Wiz is Jason Williams, who has one year, 9 million left, and a 1st for etan and JCN. That would give the Wiz future cap relief but wouldn't benefit them at all this season.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"The moment Lee Humphrey stepped on the floor the opposition attacked him on defense and victimized him.

Let that sink in a minute -- can't defend summer league talent.

He has no future.

Posted by: Zonker | July 16, 2007 10:36 AM"

Maybe, but here are the other 3 point specialists who couldn't play a lick of D, but still had good careers:

Tim Legler
John Paxson
Steve Kerr
Brent Price

As it stands now, there is no 3 point threat off the bench, especially with Jarvis unlikely to return and Nick Young very raw.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 16, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Actually one deal I could see EG making that would benefit the Wiz both down the road and this season is Jason Williams (1 year, just under 9 million) and Zo (1 year, 2.7 million) and a future 1st for Etan, AD, and JCN if Miami wants him that bad. This way we get future cap relief beyond this season and replacement back ups for the guys we are giving up.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

DC mann, it was beyond him being able to defend people. Humphreys couldn't do anything out there. Any time he got the ball the defenders attacked him and forced him to put the ball on the floor, which he struggled with. He is too short at 6'2" and not good enough handling the ball to be effective. The one stat that should concern you with him is that in the entire time he was out there he wasn't able to ATTEMPT a 3 pointer. I was curious about him going into the summer league but he just couldn't cut it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

scratch that, he attempted one in the kings game and missed

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Bummer, but the story might be different if Gilby, Caron, and AJ were on the floor with him. All I remember seeing is Paxson, Kerr, and Legler catching and shooting. That's what Humphrey did for Florida.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 16, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the anonymous post on Miami - Jason Williams would be all we get.

Not a good move.

McGuire 13 13
Young 12 12
Navarro 10 10
daniels 10 10
haywood 10 10

Posted by: Dellis | July 16, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I still that if we play the Big 3 between 35 and 38 minutes a night, and then play the others (Stevenson, JCN, AD, Young, D-Mac, Pecherov, Songalia, the Poet, Haywood, Blatche) anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes a night, that's a pretty freakin good team. We'd have depth for injuries and be able to match up with anyone. I still would like to find a way to pick up Jermaine O'Neal without giving up Tawn, but it's probably not going to happen.

Posted by: Dellis | July 16, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

The one and only move the wiz should do with Miami is JCN for a number one pick. Miami first rounder should be very close to a second rounder, so it shouldn't be a very big deal to them.I think Pat R. really thinks this will be his last chance for a another championship. But they deeply need another point guard behind the injury prone Jason Williams. JNC is best available at this moment in time, so Miami just might bite. Also I really dont want to see Etan abuse Brendan 4 times a year, because he got traded.

Posted by: d square | July 16, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

so Young is raw and therefore questionable, but Humphrey is... also a rookie. Its good to get a close up look at him now so 3 years from now when he has a real shot at the NBA we'll already have a relationship. I'm not against having some shooter around, but these types rarely stick with their first team because they need so much work on the rest of their game. He has 1 NBA level skill. Thats not enough for any type.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 16, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Can you believe that Kevin Mchale, traded for Juwan Howard for 2 years 14 million. He should be fired. Timberwolves is over the luxury tax, therefore he cost them 28 million for 2 years(Juwan Howard).You would have thought he learned something from us. Terrible management. If I was them I would rather have Etan, they dont have not one center on the team,but they traded for Juwan.

Posted by: d square | July 16, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Give Miami some criteria for what we would accept. Let them go find a 3rd team that has a better match than they do. Someone might take JWill off their hands, plus Simien or a chip for a decent player. Either way its their problem not ours. We have other options for Navarro.

Haslem is a stretch. Might be possible if we sweeten the pot. With Zo coming back it closes the door on them potentially "needing" more help behind Shaq. Overall I just don't like doing business with them. JCN has a high "come back to haunt you" factor.

Posted by: Monte | July 16, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Monte-
True. I 1oo% agree with you

Posted by: d square | July 16, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

You know what, I'm glad we re-signed DeShawn.

I know a lot of people are complaining, but look at all the positives:

- he's only 26
- he seems to be on the upside of his career
- he is a good team player

Welcome back homey.

Posted by: k-dub | July 16, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

exactly. 4 years, 15 million and he barely hits 30.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 16, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

If some team wants JCN, I hope that Ernie will hold fast to forcing that team to take Etan's contract as well. If the Wizards are going to trade good young players, then at least whatever team gets them, better get a bad contract to go with it.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 16, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike Hall for Karl Malone

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Sir Valiant Brown and his brother Sir Lancelot Brown for Gilbert Arenas

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Tamir Goodman for Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Verne "mini me" Troyer for Lebron James.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank god Wes Unseld isn't running this thing. He probably would've traded Navarro and Blatche to Miami for Antoine Walker and Gary Payton.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Funny how you downplay EG mistakes. There is no executive in the NBA who has not made a number or clear errors. Note that everyone knows that as currently constructed the Wiz will not win anything. Additionally, the GM disses the coach for asking the star player to play some defense. Yet time and time again we hear, "in Ernie we trust." I have been Bullets/Wiz fan, so please withold your gratuitous arrogance regarding the not knowing what has gone on or not gone on here before. Note that JCN is not a gift, he was Jordan's pick. EG picks have still not panned out yet except for Songaila. AD is one of the worst free agent pickups around. We do not know about AB notwithstanding the fact that some other team wants to through money at him. Also note that EG was about to give LArry hughes all that he wanted. He should not have event thought about giving him more than 15 over 4. I hope this upcoming season is a good one, but it is to early to be blindly trusting in someone who has not won a championship.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 1:16 AM | Report abuse

EG brought in Antawn Jamison.
EG turned Kwame Brown into Caron Butler.
EG drafted Blatche in the 2nd Round.
EG let the Knicks overpay Jeffries and got Stevenson for under 1 million.

Personally, knowing all the terrible moves DC teams have made in the past decade, in EG I cautiously trust. My $0.02

Posted by: No More Gugliottas | July 17, 2007 1:51 AM | Report abuse

"AD is one of the worst free agent pickups around."

Nonsense. He's one of the best backup PGs in the NBA, a guy who runs a team well, moves the ball without turning it over, gets guys involved and rarely makes mistakes. He routinely is atop the league in ATO ratio (a damn good indicator for a PG) and averaged 11 APG in the playoffs, playing with a depleted squad of scrubs (including a starting "SG" who shot 20% from the floor). Did they overpay him? Probably (although he was originally brought in as a possible starter, not a backup). But there are plenty of guys on NBA benches making as much or more and contributing less than Daniels.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

The wizdogs made a calculated mistake in signing DS.The mavs are not the only ones intrested in AB. Don't foreget our arch rivals? The cavs. Remeber they have yet to sign "Andy". If you remeber, the Magic pulled their offer from under darkos feet once they knew they could sign Rashard. So don't be surprise if the cavs do the same. Dray certinally exibits more skill then Andy Kapp.Could you imagine Dray with LeBron in the open court. A young and athletic 6"11 PF who can finish. Stay Tuned to this drma?

Or should we say Houston we have a problem?

Posted by: TheGodfather | July 17, 2007 2:02 AM | Report abuse

"That would be assuming the same starting five as the start of last season of Haywood, Jamison, Butler, Stevenson and Arenas. Not a bad team except for the center situation."
-GM

Yeah, that's why we should start Etan at center instead of Brenda. And give Haywood away for a late second round future pick to some fool of a team.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Godfather wrote, "Could you imagine Dray with LeBron in the open court." Some of you guys are just hilarious. AB doesn't belong in the same building, let alone on the same court, with LJ.

We should only be so lucky that the Cavs would pick up, at an exorbitant price, a stiff like AB.

Posted by: Mitch | July 17, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Can some please give me Blatche's stats from last year? I don't remember them being that impressive. He showed flashes of potential, but so did Kwame Brown. I have yet to see what all the fuss is about with Blatche. You can tell when you have a possible good player. Look at the Magic's Howard. Right out of the gates you saw that raw talent that let's you know you have something special. You saw that same thing out of the Sun's Stoudermire. I do not see that with Blatche. He not agressive enough, and why did he not play in the summer league???? There are a lot of question marks with him. I know that projecting talent is a gamble, however, I would not place a big bet on Blatche.

Posted by: Big Mel | July 17, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Blatche didn't play in the summer league because he is not under contract. he would have been risking his future by playing without a contract. Look around the NBA. Few if any restricted free agents played summer league.

AD is a solid backup PG. But solid backup PGs don't making 6 million dollars are way overpaid. He certainly doesn't produce at that level. He hasn't been able to play the minutes they envisioned when they signed him to this deal either. If he was making 2 or 3 million it'd be a wash.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 17, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Blatche + JCN for Yi!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Blatche + JCN for Yi!

Posted by: | July 17, 2007 09:23 AM

i know that's a joke, but i'd be intrigued at that... ;p

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Why are you comparing Blatche to Amare Stoudamire and Dwight Howard? No one is saying he's a lock for future All NBA or should be given a max deal. The kid basically just came off his rookie year, is only 20 years old, and was clearly the most athletic big man on the team last season. But I guess since he's no Dwight Howard we shouldn't sign him for the mid-level.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

No more Googs, you have one blaring omission on that list:

EG signed GILBERT ARENAS!!!! where would the wiz be as a franchise without him?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Miami is reportedly set to make an offer for Navarro (Post). They could provide cap space with expirings, but I wouldn't want to deal with them unless D. Wright was included, and I'm fairly sure Miami isn't willing to part with him while taking on Etan's contract. Pretty sure they wouldn't offer up Haslem either. They'll probably make some garbage offer for Navarro alone without Etan, or try to replace him with BH. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Riley is so enamored with JCN that he'll offer "the moon."

Posted by: GBH | July 17, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

How about trading JCN and Etan to the Heat for a draft pick, and use the cap room to make a move for Varejao?

Posted by: Bill Baxter | July 17, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Big Mel, wow you're comparing a Top 10 pick in an overall more successful draft with Stoudemire and THE #1 pick in Howard to a late 2nd round pick in Blatche? Jermaine O'Neal didn't show much for 3 years after being selected out of HS by Portland either. Chris Wilcox didn't do much in LA until he got traded to Seattle. Every kid needs some time to grow into their game and body.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

That trade wouldn't be allowed under the CBA. We would have to take back salary in the exchange.. A pick could be included along with players, but I'm certain that Riley is going to start off with some insulting lowball offer. I don't think Varejao will be anywhere near Ernie's plans.

Posted by: GBH | July 17, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Barring some blockbuster trade for a center (Camby, J.O'Neill?)
which seems unlikely, EG figures to make smaller trades just to free up money. Moving Thomas (with JCN for a "servicable" big man with a favorable contract) and then Daniels and Haywood for draft picks would allow them to keep Blatche, avoid the luxury tax and have enough minutes to let the younger players develop slowly.

Unfortunately, the 2 teams in need of a PG are the Cav and Heat, so AD could come back to haunt us if he went to either place. Haywood's memory as a Wiz is the only think that would haunt us once he left.

Posted by: Daydreamer | July 17, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"A servicable big man with a favorable contract" - Daydreamer

Now who is this guy, or is this just a day dream? LOL!

Can you name a center who is making less than 5 mil (Haywood's contract) that is serviceable?"

Posted by: Sagaliba | July 17, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I really don't know enough about the dark arts of the NBA offseason to predict anything, but so far, so good to me. Obviously challenges ahead. I'd love to have stolen Alonzo, or someone ... but centers don't come cheap. But I hope we don't have to live through the Brendan-Etan 2007-8 feud.

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | July 17, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

BillB, we'd have to take salary back because the Heat are over the cap too. I agree that Etan has to go if they want JCN though. As soon as he's included the package gets worse for us though. It becomes about cap space at that point whereas other teams might actually have something we want.

This reminds me of the Yankees trades. Teams have to deal with them because the players want to get paid, but they never give up enough for what they get. I ask the same thing now that I ask then: why accept the deal? Miami better get ready to fork over 2-3 Mil in cash while they're at it.

Posted by: JJ | July 17, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Gonzo,
I don't think we'll be re-living a Brendan Todd Haywood v. Etan Poet Thomas feud... but Haywood v. Edward Jordan: Let's get ready to rumble....

Posted by: CN | July 17, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the feedback, and I guess I knew that the CBA would get in the way. I suspect I'm not alone in not understanding all the ins and outs of the rules regarding (preventing?) trades in the NBA.

Can anyone explain the "trade exception" that the Sonics ended up with after the sign-and-trade involving Rashard Lewis?

Posted by: Bill Baxter | July 17, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

re: Varajeo, I used to think he could be a very good NBA player. A 6'11 athlete who cares more about playing above the charge semi-circle than above the rim just bugs me.

Posted by: Monte | July 17, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Aren't the Cavs over the cap? How in the heck are they going to sign Blatche to an offer sheet?

Posted by: George Templeton | July 17, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Mark I don't know what you watch when you watch the wizards but its clearly not reality. "I've definitely not given up on him and actually think he's a decent version of Jared Jeffries." Jarred Jeffries??Jarred Jeffries? Blatche is better than him now. Jeffries is an overrated D player who has no Offense at all. Jeffries is a joke. Blatche has the potential to be a bigtime player in this league.

Again Mark are you serious? "If Blatche isn't ready to start by next year, he should be cut." Blatche would be going into his junior year in college right now if he went and you want to give up on him. he can clearly rebound, he has a jumper he just needs to mature a little he will be fine. Also all your talk of Mcguire and butler playing the 2 is laughable. No reason to even respond to any of that garbage. Mark you should either quit posting or stop watching the games unless you are going to start paying attention when you do watch.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

George, they probably wouldn't but if they wanted to the MLE is there for them to use.

Orlando had the cap room to sign Lewis without the sign and trade. Lewis wanted more money though. By signing with Seattle he technically gets the benefit of larger annual raises (home team/bird rights raises are 12.5% i think, where Orlando would have been 8 to 10%)

Because Orlando had the cap room Seattle didn't have to take matching salary back. (same with Jason Richardson to Charlotte) Because they didn't, they get a trade exemption.

Posted by: JJ | July 17, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Bill,

My mistake.. It would be allowed under the CBA, but as JJ said, Miami would not be able to absorb an etan-sized cap hit, let alone be able to sign JCN without sending back some salary..

About the trade exception.. From wikipedia:

"Traded Player Exception: If a team trades away players with a higher combined salary than those they acquire in return (we'll call this initial deal "Trade #1"), they receive what is called a Traded Player Exception, also known colloquially as a "Trade Exception". Teams with a trade exception have up to a year in which they can acquire more salary in another trade (Trade #2) than they send away, as long as the gulf in salaries for Trade #2 is less than or equal to the difference in salaries for Trade #1. This circumvents the rule which normally does not allow teams over the salary cap to acquire net additional salary in trades. This exception is particularly useful when teams trade draft picks straight-up for players; since draft picks have no salary value, often the only way to get salaries to match is to use a trade exception, which allows trades to be made despite unbalanced salaries."

If Seattle was willing to use their trade exception to acquire ET and/or AD I'd be all for it.

Posted by: GBH | July 17, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beas13 | July 17, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

All of this talk of the Wiz trading their castoffs for draft picks is a bit pie-in-the-sky. Even if the Wiz could find a team far enough below the cap to take on salary without having to deal any (not sure there are any left after Orlando signed Lewis and the Bobcats signed Wallace) it's not very likely the would covet the Wiz's overpaid backup quality players enough to spend it on them.

Can't see Seattle being interested in Daniels, since they've already got Watson, West, and Ridnour at the point.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brenda Hater | July 17, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Watching summer league has just strengthened my belief that the Wiz need some vet help off the bench. (esp. in the backcourt, if they move Daniels.)

Young has a load of talent, but he's also got some growing pains before he's a consistent shooter or reliable NBA scorer. McQuire looks like a good all-around player, but he's not going to put up a lot of points out of the gate (and may never be anything more than a complementary/opportunistic scorer). They still need someone off the bench who can fill it up while some of the big 3 are getting a rest. Aside from Songaila (who should be a solid performer when he's back at full strength) they don't have anyone coming off the bench who can be counted on the score. That's not going to work on a team that lives and dies by its offense.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama, after you argue that DS is being overpayed you start defending AD's contract. Wow, if only I could make sense of that logic.

Let's see - DS, starting SG, plays D, shoots 46%, makes 4+ million a year

AD, backup guard, plays D, decent veteran player, no outside shot, makes 6 million a year

Which player is overpayed? DS, of course, according to your logic!

EG's two biggest mistakes thus far were overpaying for AD and Etan. Otherwise, he's been nearly flawless unless I am forgetting something?

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"I have a question for Mike, Ivan and all you Wiz supporters: why is Ernie not trading Brenda yet? He clearly doesn't want to stay!"

Three possible reasons:

(A) Ernie likes him, even though Eddie doesn't.

(B) As bad as he is, there aren't any better options available on the market

(C) Nobody else wants him.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama, I agree with you that we are too young off the bench. Unless NY and McGuire somehow mature instantly. We could still keep JCN if Polin would pay the luxury tax, but that ain't going to happen.

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Rob P.

As usual, it helps to actually read a post before responding to it. If you'd done so, you'd see that I did, as a matter of fact, note that Daniels is overpaid. Making your entire response, a waste of yours, mine, and everyone else's time.

I wasn't defending his contract. I was disputing the contention that he was "one of the worst free agent pickups around." He's not even close to that, despite being overpaid. There are guys making about as much (or more) who don't contribute anything at all (Nazr Mohammed and Marcus Banks come to mind). Daniels is overpaid, but he's still been a solid, key contributor to the team's success the last couple of years.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

kalorama thats a great question. Hopefully all the rumors are wrong but looks like he is trying to move Etan. If we move Etan and keep Haywood I will be very disappointed with Ernie.

Posted by: BEAS13 | July 17, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

D. All of the above.

EG likes him bc he is a true center and I think EG thinks EJ does not know how to get the best out of him.

There are never enough big men in the NBA. Now more than ever. Only Portland, SA, Phoenix and Orlando are fine in the big man department now and in the near future.

I think BH is more desirable than Etan bc of their contracts. Supposedly JCN would have already been traded if we wanted to dump BH instead of Etan. Neither of them are going to be on a championship team as a starter.

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Mark why do you keep saying Eddie Jordan will be gone next year? What are you talking about? He just signed an extension before last season. Eddie isn't going anywhere. Once again Mark you have lost your mind.

Posted by: jim | July 17, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama,

I see...you can defend that fact that he was not "one of the worst free agent pickups around" without taking into account his contract?

In fact you do:

"Did they overpay him? Probably (although he was originally brought in as a possible starter, not a backup). But there are plenty of guys on NBA benches making as much or more and contributing less than Daniels.

I'm just saying your bashing of DS situation compared to your defense of AD makes no sense whatsoever. Period. I know how to read and analyze on a much higher level than you do apparently.

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Jim, Mark is correct! EG is not a huge fan of EJ's. Why did he sign his assistants to one year contracts only? There has been a bunch of other anecdotal evidence discussed here and by Ivan.

I guarantee that if this team were to lose in the first round of the playoffs EJ will be fired. No question in my mind.

I contend that he will probably have to win the first round and the second round will have to be extremely competetive (e.g., go yo 6/7 games) or he will be fired.

I don't think it's a secret EJ is under the gun long term contract or not.

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To people wondering why Haywood over Etan: They produce similar numbers but one is a legit 7 footer making $5 mil a year while the other is injury prone, 6'9" making about $7 mil a year. How is this that hard for you people to figure out? 7 footers with reasonable contracts are worth their weight in gold. Kwame and Darko, highly regarded as the two biggest busts in draft history, are BOTH making $7 mil a piece this year based on nothing but height and potential. If they were 6'8" they would be out of the league.

And to Jim: yeah cuz everyone lives out their contracts. Didn't Larry Brown get fired one year into a 5 year $50 mil deal? If EG really had confidence in Jordan than why would he only sign his guys to one year deal? He did that cuz they have a one year shot and if they don't cut it, he won't be wasting a lot of Abe's money on buy outs.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Rob P.

Apparently you can't.

First you claim that I said he wasn't overpaid. When that proves to be an obvious falsehood, you then continue to make up stuff I didn't say and respond to it like I did.

This is me: "Did they overpay him? Probably." "He's not even close to that, despite being overpaid." and "Daniels is overpaid."

So according to you I didn't "tak(e)into account his contract" despite the fact that I said, at least 3 times, that he was overpaid?

Clearly your ability to "analyze on a much higher level " isn't as spiffy as you like to think. You seem to be having trouble on even the low levels.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

EJ isn't going anywhere. What has changed from when we gave him the contract extension. If he is under the gun now he should have been then. You guys are all a bunch of rumor nerds that would believe anything you read. We would have made it to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs last year if it weren't for injuries. EJ has done nothing wrong we just got killed by injuries. Unless the wiz don't make the playoffs EJ will be back next season.

Posted by: Jim | July 17, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

But the Wizards don't have to take 100% matching salaries back. The rule is 125% plus 100K IIRC. So its not like its a wash. Shaving 1-2 million off of the total salary for one season while moving the rest Etan's contract is a huge step for EG. its doable, the question comes back to what he is willing to take back.

Thats the whole point of including Etan with JCN. They get a premier player in his prime from the Spanish league but have to take on some salary for their troubles.

Posted by: JJ | July 17, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Haywood isn't half as good as Etan. Yes haywood's 7 foot and has a better contract but he hates Ej and wants to be traded. Also Etan is clearly better on D. When Etan started at the beginning of the year he was putting up solid numbers before the injury. If we give Etan the minutes he will produce so much more than Haywood ever will. We have given Haywood so many chances. Its time to get rid of him. He is a joke. To whoever is saying 7 footers are worth their weight in gold thats true sometimes but what about jerome james,olowakandi, mark blount, BRENDAN HAYWOOD, Foyle, dalembert. Really if you look around the league every 7 footer besides about 5 of them are way overpaid. Ill take the 6'9 that puts out energy and effort every night over a 7 foot whiny baby who doesnt want to be here.

Posted by: Beas13 | July 17, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"I wasn't defending his contract."

Your clearly defending AD's contract when you defend him bc a contract is a big aspect of a free agent signing, obviously.

Finally, I will just repeat. You can't defend AD's contract and put down the DS signing. Or you can and people will think you make no sese like myself.

Posted by: Rob P | July 17, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Darko and Kwame's situations have little bearing on Haywood's. Darko is 22 and so was Kwame when he signed his deal with LA. Twenty-two is an age when potential is a huge asset. Also, both guys had spent much of their NBA lives up to then on the bench, playing inconsistently, if at all. Haywood is 28 and has started 70% of the games he's played. His "potential" days are well behind him.

"Ill take the 6'9 that puts out energy and effort every night over a 7 foot whiny baby who doesn't want to be here."

Second that.

(Although, in the final analysis, they both suck.)

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Beas13 very good post on haywood

Posted by: jim | July 17, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"You can't defend AD's contract and put down the DS signing."

And saying, three times, that he's overpaid counts as defending his contract? Only in whatever small, square world you live in, son.

"Or you can and people will think you make no sese like myself."

Not much chance of that. No one makes no sese like you my friend.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Smart alec kal-el at it again, folks. More idiots joining dcwoman.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Kal-el." Yeah, that's clever.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Exactly! You're not as idiotic as you sound but you're still Kal-el for that Superman complex.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No one has lept out of the gates and offered Blatche the full MLE. Is it possible that it could still happen? Yes, but it is looking more and more like any big Blatche offer would more and likely lead to a sign and trade. Just can't see any other teams out there that really want to pay more than 10m per year in Salary and Luxury Tax just to have Blatche. So why should we? Ernie will probably be able to sign him to a deal similar to the 12m 4 yr. that Detroit set the market with. Might even give Blatch a player option after three years to let him test the market early.
I really can't see offering a full MLE for 6 yrs. until we see if more of that potential turns into on the court production. I know that GM's have to gamble some but that seems to be going "all in" with a guy that hasn't proven much yet.
There's still alot of time to sort things out with a Navarro trade or signing. If we can't work anything else out if I were Ernie I'd go to Abe and ask to go over the luxury tax so that I could get him over here and then try and be a player at the deadline. Somebody is always in play to move then.
Chicago's deal to Joe Smith was kind of surprising to me. 5m per year for Joe seems like alot. That would seem to take them out of the Gasol race until at least Dec. if you beleive Paxson's pledge to keep his core together.
Gasol ain't staying in Memphis and the other suitors keep dropping by the wayside. Somebody's going to make a play there, I'd still keep my eye on Cuban. Unless he's concentrating on trying to buy the Cubs he's going to get restless before the summer is out. He says he likes his club but they've disappointed him twice now in the playoffs.
If Navarro is the player that he's said to be I can't imagine Ernie has baited his hook with a Spanish Fly and Cuban doesn't have Donnie Nelson all over it.
Cuban not biting on Navarro, but rumored to be offering Blatche a contract just doesn't make alot of sense to me. What would Blatche add to that team? My money tells me something else is going on. Did Ivan's little birdie stop talking?

Posted by: GM | July 17, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't think its a superman complex... more of a "keyboard Lex Luthor".

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

lol yeah...too bad it doesn't fit his screen name like kal-el does..

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Blatche's agent has been driving this from day zero. Remember when teams were preparing to offer him 4 million per? NJ went after Magliore, Cleveland might be a possibility but only if they lose Varajeo, which looks unlikely because no one is spending over the MLE on him now.

Where does that leave his agent? Oh yeah, talking to the Mavericks, because what they need is a raw 6'11 kid who averaged 12 minutes on a team desperate for an inside presence. Not exactly, but they do have the cash to pay Blatche or more importantly make Ernie raise his last offer.

All the noise is coming from the agent. Ernie is handling this fine. Make an offer in the Amir Johnson range and wait.

Posted by: Johnny Boy | July 17, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Hard to take criticism seriously from a guy who's now taken to posting nonsense then immediately following it by agreeing with himself.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"Ernie is handling this fine. Make an offer in the Amir Johnson range and wait."

Agreed. Although it's likely that Blatche and Co. will be looking for more than Johnson, given that Blatche has actually played in meaningful NBA games and produced while Johnson has been strutting his stuff in the D-League.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Umm, Ivan...you alive?

What blogs in Vegas, stays in Vegas eh?? ;)

"The key point is that the Wizards bench should be a lot better."

Actually, I will agree that the best thing with re-signing Stevenson is that the starting 5 from last year will be intact unless they trade Haywood/Etan.

Now EG can concentrate on the bench instead of scrambling to replace a starter. I can see an advantage of that, especially in the east.

Just wish the Wiz had a reliable center.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 18, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

If Blatche cannot get a fat offer from somewhere and if he does not like Wizards' offer, one option he has is to sign the one-year qualifying offer from Wizards and become an unrestricted FA next year.

Posted by: Sagaliba | July 19, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Whoever says Etan is clearly better on D must have only watched a handful of games when Etan was good.

Etan has had his chances ever since he signed that big fat contract. Do you think the team planned on giving him a big contract and let him sit on the bench? No, the fact is, he just could not beat out Haywood (who is not that great himself) until last season, albeit he did not have strain relationship with the coach.

Sure, Haywood is 28, Etan is 29! Now you are telling us Etan has not reached his "potential" yet? "Just give him minutes, and he will be better?" Dream on! Most likely he will go back to the IR and write his poems!

Posted by: Sage | July 19, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse