DeShawn update II

We've been able to obtain a copy of the incident report detailing what went down at DeShawn Stevenson's house in Orlando last night. Here's what is known: according to the report, a man named Curtis Ruff (31) drove himself to the hospital seeking treatment for gunshot wounds to his legs around 4:30 a.m. but would not cooperate with authorities.

According to the report, Stevenson was sleeping when former Orlando Magic player Brandon Hunter and another man arrived at the house with some women. Ruff, who has an extensive criminal record, according to the report, showed up later and the shootout took place.

"There was some sort of dispute or argument," said Orange County Sheriff's office spokesman Jim Solomons. "We know some shots were fired because there's bullet holes, there's blood in the car, we've got at least two vehicles shot up as well bullet holes in the house. Something happened here but nobody is really willing to tell us exactly what happened."

The report filed by Police seems to repute an earlier media report that DeShawn was having some kind of party at the house when the incident took place. According to the incident report, DeShawn lives in a gated community with 24-hour security. According to the report, Ruff was driving a Silver Cadillac SUV when he entered the neighborhood through a front gate at 3:46 a.m. It's not clear from the report how he got past security but one of Stevenson's friends apparently told the guard to let the SUV in because he assumed it belonged to the women who were following.

Once the SUV was near DeShawn's home, according to the report, the man identified as Ruff got out of his vehicle and engaged in an argument with one of the women. Hunter got into an argument with Ruff and then started towards DeShawn's house. That's when Ruff, according to the incident report, emerged from his vehicle and began firing an unknown variety of handgun (the police picked up several spent 9mm Luger shells - wasn't that a gun used by the Germans in WW II?) toward the residence. One of Stevenson's friends said that some of the bullets struck Stevenson's Lexus as well as the car that was driven by Hunter and also hit Stevenson's house. One of Stevenson's boys said that Ruff's car then rode up and down the street two or three times before leaving.

According to the report, Stevenson was asleep in the house and did not see or hear anything until his friend and Hunter ran inside and told him to get down. According to the report, Stevenson's friend and Hunter told police that they did not fire back at Ruff (how' did Ruff wind up getting shot. Did he shoot himself?).

According to the guard on duty, Ruff left the property at approximately 4:03 a.m. Hunter provided a sworn statement but Stevenson's friend refused. Stevenson, Hunter and Stevenson's friend did not wish to press charges.

The Wizards released the following statement from president Ernie Grunfeld: "We are aware of the incident. We have spoken with DeShawn and he is fine and was not harmed. We will monitor the situation as this is a continuing investigation being conducted by authorities in Orlando."

And folks, I know that this is going to get a response from Wiz nation but I've already been reading some of the comments on here and want to remind everyone that we're still gathering facts. It's way to early to pass judgement here let alone start throwing out posts labeling DeShawn and other ball players "thugs" and such. Ease up on that.

That said, I am getting a little bit tired of pouring over police reports and writing about this kind of thing. Man, I can't wait for October to get here so I can write about basketball (hopefully).....

By Ivan Carter  |  August 20, 2007; 11:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roster just about set?
Next: The latest

Comments

perfect. was Dre there?

Posted by: joe c | August 20, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

damn mo, more bad publicity for black athletes. just what we needed. but then again if i went to a party with 6'6 and up NBA players i would be strapped too. cuz im not fighting Shaq....ima pop his big @ss

Posted by: i | August 20, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"Great"

Professional athletes need to start putting up metal detectors at their own houses.

k-dub

Posted by: k-dub | August 20, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It guess it didn't take long before we saw the impact of re-signing DeShawn Stevenson.

Too bad we couldn't have such dead-eye shooting in the playoffs last May.

Posted by: Dat2U (realgm) | August 20, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Where was Awvee Storey when this went down?

Posted by: Joe | August 20, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Update on shooting at DeShawn Stevenson's home in Orange County, FL:

"Curtis Ruff suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was transported to Health Central Hospital for treatment, authorities said."

Posted by: DanPeter | August 20, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I was just about to post the CNN link. If it wasn't Andray, Deshawn would be second in line. Maybe it's harsh because some of these situations and mishaps could happen to anybody, but these knuckleheads need to grow up and realize they have too much to lose.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Wha??

Not surprised it happened in Orlando, because my response was the same as Florida Evans:

Damn, damn, DAMN!

Posted by: iceberg | August 20, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

That's probably why Letoya Luckett dropped him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

That's probably why Letoya Luckett dropped him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well the good news is that no other Wizards were there. The better news would be that Stevenson has nothing to do with it. I hope Curtis Ruff is ok. Wonder who else was at the party?

Posted by: George Templeton | August 20, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DanPeter | August 20, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

When did the Wizards become the Portland Trailblazers?

Posted by: Just Wondering | August 20, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

So did the Wiz actually sign the Navarro trade papers? Can we get a mulligan?

Posted by: Flip | August 20, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am not faulting the party he had at his home, hell I have parties at home as well. My only thing is that these "young" players are going to have to be very,very careful about who they deal with. From women they meet out to their "boys" They really need to know about these people because they have a lot to lose. I am glad he didn't get hurt. I am also not going to put him down or label him. He just had a party that went a little awry. Hopefully next time, he will think twice before bringing someone to his home he doesn't know very well.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If "keeping it real" means going out to sketchy-ass clubs full of gold diggers and gangbangers, maybe some of these dumbass millionaire NBA stars should try faking it as a respectable member of society now and then. Unless, of course, they think it gives them more street cred to get shot/shot at/arrested, in which case, they deserve whatever they've got coming.

I'm a longtime Wiz fan, who has spent a lot of my hard-earned cash on tickets, logoed gear and whatnot, but I'm getting sick of supporting lowlife street thugs, and I sure as hell don't want my kid-on-the way to look up to these hooker-chasing, gun-battling losers (and the game-fixing refs aren't exactly role-model material either). My 10-game package money is going somewhere else this year. These spoiled dips**ts can celebrate the thug life with somebody else's hard-earned cash.

Posted by: woof | August 20, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Zards fan, but all of these incidents are making me less excited to watch the NBA next season...

Posted by: jj | August 20, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Woof, you're a doofus.

Posted by: Sean | August 20, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, to report some "good news," it was reported in yesterday's paper that Gilby rented/sold his house to Nick Young because it became vacated due to the fact that his baby's momma has allowed his two babies to live with him. Don't know if the momma got a pay off to get lost or whether she's living with them too or is renting his pool house out back.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 20, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Well, dishonest Abe rid of the "Bullets" moniker b/c he said at the time that he didn't want the franchise associated with crime/guns, etc. I guess he needs to put his money where his mouth is and punt DS out of town.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 20, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I, WOOF, and DCMANN88 are all very stupid

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

guns are for little babies....use the 2 fists god gave you to fix problems. A lot of people think they are tough b/c they carry a gun but they are all a bunch og b******. A real man fights with his fists.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I thought "real men" walked away from fights.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I, WOOF, and DCMANN88 are all very stupid"

Well...2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Posted by: woof | August 20, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

For crying out loud people! Why does he all of a sudden have to be ghetto? And how do we know that the club he attended was full of gang bangers and gold diggers? The story reads that some guy followed the women, he did not invite this dude to his place. Hell, he is single, met someone and she turned out to have what appears some rough neck friends. These ball players have the right to have a life and do some of what your average person enjoys. Unfortunately for him, EVERYTHING they do or don't do right or wrong get publicized unlike you and I. And now you want to call all of the team "lowlife thugs" When has the Wizards name been known with "thuglife" players as you all call them? Let me just call a spade a spade. Would he or Blatche have been called "thugs" and "lowlifes" if they were white? You all make me sick!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"I am glad he didn't get hurt. I am also not going to put him down or label him. He just had a party that went a little awry. Hopefully next time, he will think twice before bringing someone to his home he doesn't know very well."
- anon

well, I guess my only comment is "a little awry"? Someone got SHOT! Now, I too have had many parties and so have my friends and family. Guess what? As far back as I can remember, not a single shot was fired. In fact, I don't even remember a fist fight. So, to totally absolve him is crazy.

Posted by: Rob P | August 20, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Its nothing but a "G" thing babbbee! Look people only one leg got hit up.I say "take 2 and walk it out".I don't expect anything less out of a NBA house party.

Posted by: the tuna | August 20, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't do the Wizards franchise any good to sweep these issues under the rug. Blatche and now Stevenson have both signed long term contract extensions with the team this summer. How this is handled by Management goes a long way towards determining whether this will happen again. Clear lines should be drawn by fans as well. With so much money at stake, it's a little surprising to see such carelessness amongst our younger players.

Gilbert is clearly the team leader and has the work ethic to back it up. The question is whether he has the gravitas to pull these players aside and remind them what's at stake.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Would he or Blatche have been called "thugs" and "lowlifes" if they were white? You all make me sick!"
- anon (of course)

Who knows maybe they would? If your railing against making assumptions and you make them yourself, well that's just plain hypocritical.

Posted by: Rob P | August 20, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 20, 2007 01:50 PM

No, then they would be called rednecks.

Posted by: Rook | August 20, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

That's because back in the day, at least when and where I partied, guns were not prevalent like they are now. Young people did not carry guns and if they tried to start something, you could at least put them out. Much ado about nothing. I am just glad he was not hurt.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"One idiot at the party. Not DS's fault I'd say. I will watch the Wizards anyway since I love the game. Of all the good that the NBA players do, it only takes one incident like this to make them all seem like a bunch of "hooker-chasing, gun-battling losers" although that is far from being a true reflection of the NBA players."
- anon

Of course not, but the NBA is developing a reputations for some player's conduct and it is not that small of a problem. How many players have had legal problems? AI, Carmelo, Webber, Deshawn, Artest, Stephens, the Trailblazers were nicknamed Jailblazers, Rod Strickland (had what 5 DUIs while he was here), Kobe, Odom, and on and on and on. Don't minimize the problem. The NFL is not anymore and it's a smart preemptive move on their part.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

or white trash or meth heads

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"wow, it aint like deshawn did the shooting. accidents happen. yall need to chill with this crap. just cuz he made a mistake off the court dont change wat hes done and can do on the court. hes still a player on this squad and u guys should show more support."

Posted by: | August 20, 2007 01:13 PM

Wow, were you the shooter? This might be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Accidents happen yeah, but bringing a gun to a party is not. Give me a break.

Posted by: skinsfanindallas | August 20, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

skinsfanindallas, who told u deshawn had a gun. i mean its his house, he prolly has lots of guns in there. im sayin all these people here are starting to judge when they dont even know wat happened. there is more info that hasnt been released, and when there is, then u could really start some critisism, but u still cant take away his ability on the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Woof...much ado about nothing. You say you can take the "thug" out of the streets, but you cannot take the streets out of the "thug" or something like that...ummm...are you so parochial that you do not see the perfect counterexample of that right on the Wizards itself in Caron Butler? And how is DS a "thug" for having someone else shoot? Next time I recommend you think before you post as to not look completely foolish. But I guess I understand. Some people can be such drama-queens. It is just their nature.

Posted by: ArenasMVP4ever | August 20, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Amen. to the last poster. People have read this article and are now labeling him from the ghetto, gang banger and all of that other nonsense. His bonehead move was bringing people to his home without really knowing them. But, I bet he won't do that again! I don't recall in the article that he was the one with the gun either. Young people party. That is what they do. That is what I did at his age. The only difference is I grew up in a time when you did not have to worry about people with guns. That was not the norm like it is now.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Sean, why don't you comment or debate? Calling someone a doofus only makes you look stupid."

Posted by: Rob P | August 20, 2007 01:54 PM

You make a fair point, Rob. I just thought Woof's comments were so full of prejudice, I didn't want to waste the time responding. He doesn't know hardly any of the details, including how many of the participants are black and/or from the ghetto, and he starts painting everyone in sight as being (his terms) ghetto, gangbangers, street thugs, etc. I don't have a lot of patience for that type of thinking, and I guess that was reflected in my short and to the point response.

Posted by: Sean | August 20, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

At this point, it seems as though DS might not have had much to do with this at all.
Aside from being asleep in his house.

Posted by: g | August 20, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If you pick up " women " at 4:30 am , you and they are looking for trouble . Why
didn't they go to their own house ?

Posted by: larry G | August 20, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And in response to Woof, not all NBA players come from the ghetto!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great.

Wonderful start to the season isn't it?

"Not DS's fault I'd say."

Yeah well, DS threw the party if I read the above correctly and he CLEARLY knew at least some of the people involved. You just don't "go to bed" with strangers in your house.

Thug...no.

Big dummy...YES!

If his "friends" carry guns around all of the time, then he might want to think about getting some new friends or it might be him that's shot next time.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 20, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great.

Wonderful start to the season isn't it?

"Not DS's fault I'd say."

Thug...no.

Big dummy...YES!

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 20, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great.

Wonderful start to the season isn't it?

"Not DS's fault I'd say."

Thug...no.

Big dummy...YES!

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 20, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the repeats.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 20, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

you should read the article from orlando, it does into more detail. Seems as though, DS wasn't throwing a party... still early info...

Posted by: g | August 20, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"As was stated in the report, it appears that DeShawn was home sleeping, minding his own business and someone followed his boys home from a night out and that's when something went down. We'll update as information comes in."

Posted by: g | August 20, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, everyone needs to calm down.
Like Ivan said, "It's way to early to pass judgement here let alone start throwing out posts labeling DeShawn and other ball players "thugs" and such. Ease up on that. As was stated in the report, it appears that DeShawn was home sleeping, minding his own business and someone followed his boys home from a night out and that's when something went down. We'll update as information comes in."

At least wait for some better information before you start ragging on DS.

Posted by: chelseaFC | August 20, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Ray, Ivan's latest post said it wasn't party and that DW was asleep when this guy showed up.

I don't know why this has to be about race. I'm sure I'm not the only white boy on this blog to hang out with the occasional sociopath and do some stupid sh*t that could have gotten me killed or arrested. Don't people of all stripes do stupid sh*t? Or is this just a particularly righteous (or self-righteous) blog?

Posted by: Prazak | August 20, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn you ppl are ingnorant and nerds, sh*t. I mean its one thing to be a fan, great, but ya'll just need to DO something else as well. And i wonder how most of ya'll would flip the script if it was say Songalia and not Deshawn?!?!

Posted by: DjB | August 20, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya Prazak! Some of the stupid crap I did while I was young, it was only by grace that I made it through in one piece. And yes, people of all stripes do do some pretty F***ed crap at one point or the other. They just won't admit it :-) As I said before, in the not so distant future, he will think twice about who he hangs out with and who he brings home.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 20, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok. So no every NBA player comes from the getho, but, woof, your point is well taken; unfortunately, you are preaching to the getho and, obviously, they will disagree with you.

Posted by: Ronaldo | August 20, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Ivan our society has glorified judging people before the facts are out, especially in these silly blogs, so unfortunately it's naive to ask the people not to prematurely pass judgement.

Posted by: Deron | August 20, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

It isn't clear what you meant by DeShawn's boys. His children? His friends. Please clarify.

Posted by: KSM | August 20, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"And i wonder how most of ya'll would flip the script if it was say Songalia and not Deshawn?!?! "
-DjB

Ummm...he would be just as stupid. Or if you wanna talk about jumping to conclusions, which is a very valid point, although we are just commenting as facts become available - we're not journalists or a real jury here! - How about the Duke lacrosse players? Nobody jumped to conclusions there did they??? Flip that script!!

Posted by: Rob P | August 20, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

See what I mean? Picking up women in bars is some dangerous s***!

Posted by: AB | August 20, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Deron, you are absolutely right, but, what some of us are thinking or saying is that DS is NOT guilty of the criminal act, but of the failure to realize that he has elevated himself to a different standard and that his social behaviour has to change accordingly - that is, unless he wants to lose it all. I really could care less, but it is sad to see these kids fall into this situations.

Posted by: Ronaldo | August 20, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It was most likely a ruger not a luger

Posted by: Matthew | August 20, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I love how you all tear each other apart over this. Let's just be thankful no one got hurt, and none of the Big 3 were there. This seems so shocking b/c the Wiz are a well behaved team, and in 2 weeks, 2 bad things have happened. We've had a pretty good track record. At least we don't have Zach Randolf or Ruben "Sex Offender" Patterson on our team...everyone just needs to chill. And what's with the racism on these boards? Who cares about race, we're all people who love sports! We're DC dammit!

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | August 20, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I have not been commenting on DS anyway. I have been commenting on bad decisions by today's athletes etc...mainly in general terms in addition to challenging other's comments.

Sean, I'm glad you can cede a point as too many people will never do so(just look at politics these days). I agree Woof went too far, but it was not completely groundless or, unfortunately, far from the norm of what a lot of NBA fans are starting to think. The ref scandal is not good, but I contend that Woof's sentiments spreading to a wider and wider fan base will hurt the league much worse in the long run.

Posted by: Rob P | August 20, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the whole "withhold judgement" thing, I don't know about you all, but shootings at my house at 4:00 am in the morning are fairly rare (I don't live in a gated community, so perhaps this is more normal there). In fact, I don't even have shootings at my house during normal business hours. But then again, I also don't have a posse called "boys" who come home at 4:00 am (I'm assuming the "boys" are not DS's kids).

Bottom line, while it may be a stretch too far to use the gangsta slang here, we can certainly make "some" judgments. It's fair to say we now see some "smoke" around DS. Lets face it folks, NBA players clearly have too much money and too little sense. Perhaps this applies to most professional athletes, I dunno. But the time where we allow our kids to look up to these people as heroes and role models has long since past. Any parent that doesn't clarify this point with their kids deserves the backlash when their local "Vick" does the latest absurdity.

Bottom line, if nothing else, this year pretty much makes certain that athletes make for truly crappy role models. If you pay money to go see them, do it for their basketball skills, not for the quality of the people themselves. While some may be terrific folk, don't ever "expect" it.

Posted by: sfam | August 20, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

With 'Dray and DeShawn now re-signed, we need to bring back the name Washington Bullets!!

Posted by: Darnell | August 21, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the update ivan!
looking forward to october here too.

Posted by: greg | August 21, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has already been said, but why on earth isn't anyone pressing charges? That's ridiculous, and frankly, a little bit suspicious.

What happens if this guy actually hits someone next time?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Nah, these playas arent from Surrey County, they ain't gonna snitch. That's why you don't see any presses being charged.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Nah this ain't Surrey County, these playas ain't snitches. Thats why you dont see any charges being pressed.

Posted by: Me | August 21, 2007 1:55 AM | Report abuse

If DS was asleep (and I am taking what is in the post at face value), why in the hell is someone coming to his house when he is asleep at 4 a.m no less? That part that doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 21, 2007 2:11 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:

2)Why hold up athletes to some standard such as "role models"? They wanted to play basketaball for a living. They are ridiculously good at it, so they get to do it. Where does the part about role models come in? I understand that they're in the public eye, but who are YOU to act like a moral authority just because YOUR job doesn't subject you to constant scrutiny?

3)Putting the issue of race aside (yikes), don't you think that the general attitude displayed by these responses is pretty paternalistic? THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT
YOUR PROPERTY, THEY CAN HANG OUT WITH WHOMEVER THEY WANT AND WHENEVER THEY WANT. THEY PLAY BASKETBALL AND ENTERTAIN, THAT'S IT. If you don't want your freaking kids to look up to them, then give them some other examples to follow.

Posted by: Dagger! | August 21, 2007 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: George Templeton | August 21, 2007 02:11 AM

I have to wonder how much of this story is made up. Ballistics tests of the bullets, etc. will reveal the gun that shot the guy. If it wasn't his gun, then someone has some explaining to do. And then the story would be big.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 3:52 AM | Report abuse

-Dagger

That's true dagger, but the thing is that these people ARE in the spotlight. While they might not desire it, people (especially kids) WILL follow and emulate their behavior. When they become NBA ball players, you better believe that they realize this...i mean, half of them became ballers because they adored a player themselves when they were younger! It's not a matter of what they want to do, but rather they should realize what it is that they should do. Reality is reality...like celebrities, begging for privacy. While I think it's a shame that the average joe gets to peak into their lives from relative obscurity, it's still a fact that it will happen. However, some of these comments are just plain disgusting. Because there was a single incident in DS's home, which we still haven't gotten full disclosure of, all of a sudden we make him a pariah? He's a thug now because somebody got shot? People got angry and overreacted, so now DS is a bad role model? It's not even recurring events (like another guy in DC we all know...).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 4:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey!
Maybe we can hang out together sometime!

J. Williams, Rae C., Sean T., and A. Storey

Posted by: Aprius | August 21, 2007 4:28 AM | Report abuse

"He just had a party that went a little awry"

A little awry is running out of beer. How many parties have you thrown where someone gets shot?

Posted by: Fat Bob | August 21, 2007 5:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey DS, why were there no charges pressed? If I woke up and found bullet holes in my car and the front of my house. And I knew who did it. Why wouldn't I press charges, unless I had something significant to hide.

Posted by: oddjob | August 21, 2007 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Like others have noted above, I am left wondering why DeShawn is not pressing charges. (Hopefully the next time Ivan sees or speaks to him that will be the first question he asks.) I figure there are three possible explanations:

1. DeShawn doesn't have the standing to press charges. If DeShawn wasn't involved, perhaps he can't be the one who presses charges. If his property was hit, I can't imagine he doesn't have standing. But note that the incident report did not say that DeShawn's property was hit; one of DeShawn's friends was the one who said that.

2. Hunter or Millsap (Stevenson's friend) returned fire, and DeShawn is trying to protect them by not pressing charges and causing those facts to be investigated.

3. DeShawn was involved in the incident.

Doesn't look good. I guess the best option is #2, if it is followed by DeShawn telling those two "friends" to get out and stay away.

Posted by: Sean | August 21, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Too much money in professional sports. these thugs don't know how to handle it. These idiots are really turning me away from professional sports.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 7:30 AM | Report abuse

There goes the neighborhood. Who'dda thunk that a house in a gated community with 24 hour security would get shot up like that. You move into a nice house and want security, but you can't be bringing the ghetto with you.

BTW, DS may be innocent in this, but it's the same as AB when he got shot. AB was just minding his own business.

PS. DS is not pressing charges b/c the rule in da hood is "don't be a snitch." I thought Carmelo got that point across a long time ago. This of course, encourages the downward spiral of inner city communities. You don't help the police, but you cry when people get shot up. Either speak up, or get the f' out of the ghetto.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Don't us Les BouleS fans wish for calmer days where a lover's spat was decided with fists instead of guns?

Recall back in the day, when two dudes were fighting over a girl? It was the infamous Rod Strickland vs. Tracy Murray fighting over a Transg#ndered "ladyboy" in a hotel. The next thing you know, at the game, you see Tracy Murray with a black eye, and Rod with gouges/scratches on his shoulder.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Another reason that DS might not want to press charges is because he may not know exactly what happened or who to press charges against. If he was sleeping in his bed until someone came in and told him to get down, the smart thing to do would have been to stay on the floor until the shooting stopped, which means that he would not have seen who was doing the shooting or what precipitated it. Bullets don't care who they hit, and even if the gunfire was aimed elsewhere, DS could easily have been struck if he had tried to look out a window to see what was going on.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 21, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I live in the neighborhood where the shooting took place and Deshawn Stevenson needs to move out today. It's not just HIS house that was shot up, but one of the neighbors who now has a bullet hole under her son's window. Her son that had to start school yesterday with the memory of a shooting. I can't let my kids ride their bikes to school or play at the neighborhood playground because he might let another one of his "boys" in the neighborhood. He was certainly NOT sleeping when all of these people came to his house to party. He owes everyone in this neighborhood an apology, instead he's hiding in his house like a coward.

Posted by: grace | August 21, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

True, but DS needs to step up and can press charges on whomever fired the gun that damaged his car. It's up to him to push the police, and they have a suspect. I think DS is just going to drop the matter, b/c you "don't snitch in da hood."

Don't forget back about 1 year ago, there was a rapper who got shot up while driving around his blue lambo, and he didn't press charges and refused to come to court also. Dude was Cam'ron.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight: DS and his boys refuse to cooperate with the police or press charges against a guy who just engaged in an ATTEMPTED HOMICIDE. Yeah, DS and Co. are obviously pillars of the community--real stand up family values types. I'm sure the rest of Orlando is just thrilled that these geniuses are giving Mr. Ruff a get out of jail free card so that he can happily go about his business of shooting up the place. Maybe he'll get lucky and kill somebody next time. Brilliant.

Yeah...so I'll stand by my earlier post. These guys obviously care more about the code of the street than they do about the best interests of their community. And that, folks, is not only hopelessly stupid, it's fu&^ing GHETTO! What's worse? There are already people posting on this very blog who appear to be looking up to these guys for "not snitching".

Anybody who has lived in DC has been held up at gunpoint or knows someone who has. The last thing the world needs is millionaire role models reinforcing the idea that the thug lifestyle (and that includes protecting shooters) is something to look up to. I'm surely not going to stay up nights worrying about it, but I'm also not going to financially support that kind of crap.

...and to those who just can't wait to throw down the race card, go f&*k yourselves. Seriously. I don't have hate for anyone based on the color of their skin--I'll only judge by content of character, and in my book, protecting thugs who shoot up residential neighborhoods betrays a serious lack of same. If some of you think that somehow means I have a problem with black (or brown, or tan, or whatever) people, I can't help you--the train to stupid already left the station, and you're on it.

Posted by: woof | August 21, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

DS must be one hell of a heavy sleeper if the sound of gunfire in his driveway doesn't wake him up before his boys come into the house to get him...

Posted by: moj | August 21, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

writers and readers...don't kid yourselves! This dude has consistently crossed paths with problematic situations since his high school days. The thing is, these so called nba players seem to think they are above the law and tend to think they are invincible. Look at Jayson Williams, the shooting incident in New Jersey...thought he could cover it up because of who he is...better yet was. deshawn stevenson is no saint by any means. He does things that alot of people just don't know about. Personally, he may have been better off had it been him getting shot in the leg. Those guys think they can screw around with any or any chick. Quiet as kept, they aren't the only black folks making money...some of us do the old fashion legal way and yet we have no reason to go out being obnoxious and rude because of our status. Always remember, where there is smoke, there is fire....just ask Michael Vick!!!

Posted by: cdawg | August 21, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

DS's friend has been arrested FORTY FOUR times by the tender age of 31 (and surely convicted a number of times)!!! Why isn't this person behind bars for the rest of his life?

Posted by: Fat Lady | August 21, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Who are his "boys"? Does he have children out at 4:30am?

Posted by: IkeBoy | August 21, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Oh Gosh Fat Lady. 44 times? I am sure you will be labeled racist for laying out the facts. These posts are so lame.

Posted by: IkeBoy | August 21, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Let's some b-ball.
"Mensah-Bonsu future with Mavs uncertain", if this guy gets released we should definatley jump all over him. At 6-9 he's a little small for center and we have alot of deapth a the 4 so PT could be an issue but dude can jump out of the gym and plays mad above the rim. He is also a standup guy and we could use some good new character in our locker room just about now. Also, he is a homer from GW where he rocked the house night in and night out. I say we pick him up over Booth or Mason any day of the week!
Ivan, put in the good word in Ernie's ear as only you can and get this done for us brother.

Posted by: akaman | August 21, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

If DS and his boys want to live the thug life and feel they must protect the street code (stop snitchin'), then move back to the hood. I empathize with his neighbors who moved to a gated community expecting to be safe and secure, but who now must deal with the brainlessness and lack of civic responsibility of DS and his friends. It's embarassing that people with such low standards and nonexistant civic values represent our city and our team.

For woof, and all those who are frustrated and disillusioned by low character athletes - watch soccer in this country. There are no thugs, no cheaters, and no criminals.

Posted by: ngu | August 21, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"It's not even recurring events (like another guy in DC we all know...). "

DS was charged with statutory rape previously. So, it's not like this guy avoids trouble!

This whole story is fishy in my book.

- DS is "sleeping" yet people are pretty much bringing a party back to his house at 4:00 am? If I am sleeping at 4:00 am and my friends think they are bringing a party back to my house that late, I'm pissed!!!!
- The guy is shot in the leg, but DS's boys nor DS fired at the guy. Guess it's possible he shot himself.
- The whole story is kept secret under the "don't snitch" motto. Wonder why there is rampant crime in inner cities??? Duh!!!

Posted by: Rob P | August 21, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"1)When did having a party become a bad thing? Or, if there was no party, when did having friends become a bad thing?"

It becomes a bad thing when your dumb a$$ so-called friends get your house shot up in the middle of the night like he's living in Southeast somewhere. That means "his friends" truly don't have respect for Deshawn or his property.

What if the neighbor's kid had been shot?

Stevenson needs to stick to hanging out with Arenas and grow up.

Posted by: anon | August 21, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

ngu - yeah I'm sure all soccer players are choir boys! Isn't Maradona constantly in trouble and, at least, used to be a cokehead. Please. Nobody knows much about them bc nobody cares. Plus, particularly overseas, it's downright dangerous to even attend a game.

Posted by: Rob P | August 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

To all you losers out there that are immediately labeling DS as a "thug", "punk", etc. - get a life. Seriously, as if you all know DS on a personal level or something. First off, we don't know all of the facts regarding this incident - whether it was a party at his house or he was asleep when his friends came over. Whatever the situation was, DS clearly did not know the shooter. This sort of thing could happen to anyone - black, white, purple, whatever. Imagine you and your buddies going to a bar and picking up a few females to bring home and one of those females happens to have a crazy ex-boyfriend type that won't leave her alone. Now her problem becomes your problem and he ends up shooting at your car, house, etc. Does that now make you a hoodlum? That has nothing to do with being a "thug" or anything to do with "leaving the ghetto behind." Comments like that are plain ignorant. Same thing can be said for AB's shooting incident. These things can happen to anyone, not just "low-life professional athletes." That could've been Dwight Howard (a deeply religious man who does not go out to clubs and such) coming home from a late-night workout and getting carjacked then shot. Does that make him a "knucklehead"? Dwight Howard has never lived in the ghetto/projects, but I'm sure many of you will be quick to point out that it was somehow his "posse's" fault or something ridiculous along those lines.
The fact is, most of us don't live the lifestlye that these professional athletes have. Regardless of where they go, these guys stand out of a crowd and are constantly targeted by the REAL low-life thugs that want to cause trouble. True, their jewelry and fancy cars are sometimes the source of unwanted attention, but you'd be lying if you told me that you wouldn't have these fancy things if you have professional-athlete money. So this goes back to my point that us "regular folks" don't know what it's like to live like them; therefore, shut up and quit rushing to judgement on some of these people. Indeed, some athletes that get into trouble are truly knuckleheads (Pacman Jones, Lawrence Phillips, Stephen Jackson, etc.), but most are just involved in unfortunate incidents. And when these incidents do occur, they are highly scrutinized by the media and the fans. It's sort of a double standard because, all of a sudden, the haters now have a holier-than-thou outlook on that person.

Comments made by such bloggers as Woof ("Just goes to show--you can take an NBA player out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of an NBA player.") are just dumb, thoughtless, and unwarranted. How do you know he grew up in the ghetto in the first place? Please think before you speak. That just makes you look like a stereotyping, ignorant jack@$$.

Posted by: yeahZERO!!! | August 21, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

yeahZERO, I agree with you about comments like woof's. How are you gonna condemn a man for being asleep in his house when something goes down outside? If you're tired of this kind of stuff and don't want to spend your money on the Wiz anymore or don't want your kids to admire the players, you have a choice. Don't go to games, cut off your NBA Pass, don't buy your kids NBA jerseys or shoes. Encourage your children to watch NASCAR (where the drivers fight on the track), soccer (where fans get trampled every year), baseball (where a guy just went to jail for attacking a pitcher with a bat), football(see Vick), tennis (where players curse out umpires), Hockey (where guys get jail time for bashing guys in the head with a stick), Boxing (where guys occasionally die from brain injuries), Wrestling (where steroid use is rampant and causing deaths). My point is, there are gonna be incidents in ALL sports. Listen to all the facts before you label a guy a thug.

Posted by: mark | August 21, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Professional athletes are paid to be entertainers as well as athletes. We need to start thinking of them much as we do other entertainers instead of elevating them to automatic role model status. Some of them are good role models, some of them are not. We automatically expect those in the public eye to be good role models for our youth. That's a faulty assumption in almost every case.

Of course there are some politicians, musicians, actors, and athletes who are excellent role models, and they should be applauded for the good they do. But, assuming the group as a whole will all act as admirably is always going to result in disappointment.

Accept the NBA for what it is--entertainment--with a cast of characters that are sometimes admirable, sometimes quirky, and sometimes a lesson in what not to do.

Posted by: Linda | August 21, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

to yeahZERO

So tell me: if Dwight Howard's home and property were riddled by bullets at 4am, do you think he might cooperate with police to get the shooter off the street before he killed somebody? From what I know about Dwight Howard, I think he would.

Now consider this quote on the DS incident from the local Sheriff's department: "The investigator is extremely frustrated by the lack of cooperation from all the parties involved in this case."

Still think nobody has basis to suspect DS and his friends have a little ghetto in 'em? Are you under the impression that nice "normal people" routinely stonewall the cops when they're trying to bust someone for attempted murder? I don't give a crap if DS grew up in Beverly Hills--similar to stupid, ghetto is as ghetto does...and in this case, it appears ghetto done did.

There are plenty of "good peoples" in the NBA. Some (like Caron, and to some extent Gil) who apparently grew up on rough streets but take their careers and their celebrity seriously. Then there are others who are all about bling, sketchy clubs, skeezes, posses with guns, "no snitching", warped ideas about "respect", and other low class, ghetto crap. What kind of guy does DS look like to YOU right now?

Whatever..I'm digusted with the whole thing. I'm sure once the seasons start and I can start thinking/reading about actual basketball/football (instead of wondering whether some of my favorite players are in fact low class s*&tbags), I'll have no problems watching some games on TV with my boys (although I'm standing by my decision not to buy a tix package this year, or go to any games period).

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

DS's action, or inaction, to press charges against this man that shot up a neighborhood is telling that he has something to hide. Something to hide would be such things like having an unlicensed firearm which his boys used to fire back at Ruff.

If he doesn't care about the kids and other people who wanted to live in this community because it was deemed safe due to its 24 hr. security and gated nature, then he should move back to the hood. I feel sorry for the parents that worked so hard to provide a safe environment for their kids only to have some idiot's friends draw the bad element into shooting up the neighborhood. They were lucky it was nighttime instead of daytime where kids would be playing in the street.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

putting aside AB and DS making news off the court, doesn't this point to ernie's decisionmaking (character judgments) more than anything? Isn't there a liklihood that these incidents will trouble an otherwise healthy lockerroom next season? also to ernie, I'm still amazed we've got haywood and thomas penciled in at center - who would have thought that 3 months ago?

we've got a make-or-break season coming up and the only basketball news (other than JCN) is about off-the-court incidents, rather than team chemistry, re-upping Gil, an adequate front court not prone to fighting their own teammates etc. . . . this is not a good start to an important season. And this is not a player problem, this is a management problem.

one last point. rank speculation is interesting, but people generally deserve the benefit of the doubt. the only thing we know for sure is that we don't know everything.

Posted by: gman | August 21, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Les BouleS should suspend DS until he decides to cooperate with the POHlice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Fat Lady, To answer your question, because no one presses charges on him! DS probably returned fire himself and maybe even shot his "friend" so why would he want to involve the police. DS has an arsenal inside of his house and I'm sure it's not just because he is a collector. The Wizards need to get rid of this problem, he's not good enough for them to waste their time on. His past speaks for itself and its time to move on and find a better player with stronger character.

Posted by: Jack | August 21, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

A follow-up to gman's post:
After this incident, who would you rather have (the money would be about equal):

Stevenson
or
Navarro and Hayes?

Posted by: Joe | August 21, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I've been reading these blogs and its quiet disappointing to see the labels that are thrown out at our African American athletes. Yet the biggest crimes in the history of man kind have been committed by our Caucasian counterparts. They are the cause of genocide, poverty, slavery, and starvation. They are the reason why countries are in their third world status. They rape countries of their natural resources and remove people from the land of their ancestors.

Who created the term gangster? The 1920s and 30s were roaring with white gangsters. They were the original gangsters, but African Americans are left with the label. They say African Americans are ghetto but yet Whites are the reason why there is a such thing called a ghetto. They place African Americans in inferior schools where opportunities are slim. Children fall prey to their environment w/o a chance to reach their full potential. One can not point finger unless they came up from the same infrastructure of life. White folks flood our streets with drugs yet the war on drugs starts at the bottom while "The Man" on top goes untouched. The Man becomes Congressmen, Republicans, and Democrats in this Rat Race.

Now, my point is not to say all White people are bad. There are many many good White folks in this world that try to right the wrongs of the oppressors, but I cannot sit here and read the propaganda that is instilled in your brains from when you were old enough to store them. African Americans should not be labels as ghetto gangster thug every time an incident happens. I MUST agree there are knuckle head Black people as with any other race.

Please do not refer the "Stop Snitching" label on this subject. A Snitch is defined as, if I rob a bank with you and I get caught then I tell on you. That's snitching and it is a code amongst ALL criminals alike Black or White. Snitching is not if someone shoots me and I tell on them. So do not bring up Camron who is an idiot and a clown to the utmost in this blog. This so-called gangster is by no means relevant in this story or in life.

Before you look on all African American men as Gangsters and Thugs please consider this. Let's say DS was awake in this situation. My "boys" call me and say hey we met some nice looking girls at this party and we're bringing them over. I will wake my butt up and happily say why yes bring them over. I mean what the heck I'm sure straight, single, Caucasian men will agree. My buddies bring the girls over to my place and some uninvited jealous guy follows my buddies to MY house and starts arguing with one of the females. He pulls a gun out and starts shooting. I'm DS and I'm awake, matter of fact I was in front of my house welcoming my new found friends. If I (DS) have a gun I WILL return fire!!! Not because I'm a gangster or thug but to protect my LIFE, my friends life, and my home like any other human MAN would. Now not to say DS had a gun but SO What? What if he did?!?!?!? Matter of fact what if he or his "boys" didn't then what would we have read???

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Where's Suzie O'Malley to spin this into something positive when you need her? Maybe AB can host a singles pimp n' ho night at the phone booth sometime this season. Or, DS can host the "shoot to kill" 3point halftime contest. Prize being a shot up Lex SUV with dub 4's.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't be a snitch or you'll someone will bust a cap in your head!

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

AB, DS, and Gilby are so lucky they aren't playing the college game right now. The Cameron Crazies would be all up in their bidddness so bad that these 3 role models will run home and cry for their mommas.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Ivan/Michael, I sure will be glad when you grace us with a new article. Some of the responses on this post are really quite sad. I will check for new articles later in the week but for now , I can't read anymore of this racially tinged topic.

Posted by: Disgusted by it all | August 21, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I would snitch on anyone in here if I had to, esp. if my career hung in the balance (not to mention if I had to spend time in our lovely prison system). Hell, Vick snitched on himself to salvage what he has left. Unfortunately, Wayne from Bowie, we live in a society where people draw conclusions about African Americans from rap videos and pro athletes. Unless there are some changes there, I don't see things getting any better. These dudes are all adults too so management, etc. can't really tell them what to do. Politicians are all talk and don't really care. People need to rise up and say enough is enough. I drive thru DC all the time and my heart breaks because its just not fair that bad apples ruin it for everyone else, usually for money, appearance, and social status.

Posted by: isnitchoneveryone | August 21, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

A luger?

Dizzamn, who was shooting at him, one of James Bond's enemies?

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 21, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Posted by: Disgusted by it all | August 21, 2007 01:05 PM "

Can't wait until DSong or Opech commits a crime too, b/c we'll be jumping down their throats too. It's not about race my friend.

-------------------------------------------

"Wayne from Bowie, we live in a society where people draw conclusions about African Americans from rap videos and pro athletes.

Posted by: isnitchoneveryone | August 21, 2007 01:19 PM "

It's too bad that these bad apples take pride in representing the wrong things about the world. It's too bad that these people poorly reflect their own people and families. These bad apples deserve all the blame.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

How come no one has commented on the fact that this Ruff loser apparently has the same shooting accuracy as Michael Ruffin.

What would make the coincidence even more compelling is if Ruff's gun flew out of his hand, high into the air, and Brandon Hunter caught it and shot Ruff in the leg (from three point range).

Posted by: Joe | August 21, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

In response to anon's post back to me, SO WHAT if Dwight Howard cooperates with authorities? That's neither here nor there. That is NOT the point I'm trying to make. What I'm trying to say is that the ignorant people will lump all athletes into the category of "thug/hoodlum" once an off-court incident arises - whether it's the athlete's fault or not. And YOU, Mr. Anonymous poster, have just proven my point AGAIN that assumptions are based off of stereotypical ignorance:

"Then there are others who are all about bling, sketchy clubs, skeezes, posses with guns, "no snitching", warped ideas about "respect", and other low class, ghetto crap. What kind of guy does DS look like to YOU right now?"

Unless you, yourself, are at these so-called "sketchy clubs" with "skeezes" and have, in fact, spotted DS at one point in time or another involved in "low class, ghetto crap", you're just another moron with a holier-than-thou attitude. YOU DON'T KNOW HIM more than I know Etan's poetry class teacher.

Often, it's people like you who seem to think these "ghetto" athletes are the cause of the downfall of sports, where in actuality, it's FANS like you who assume they are all one and the same.

Posted by: yeahZERO!!! | August 21, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

WAS DESHAWN REALLY "SLEEPING"?

Well, the Times seems to report it a little different, as does a previous poster, Grace, who claims to live in the neighborhood.

She should have as much beef with the so-called "security".

And remember that Dee-Shawn slept with a 14 year old when he was 21.

C'mon Dood!

I'm just saying, everyone can draw their own conclusions about race, etc.

In any case, there are about a MILLION flags here...that you really can't blame people for drawing their own conclusions when all those involved have left the door wide open.

D-Steve was asleep. Please.

k-dub

Posted by: k-dub | August 21, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I second Ivan's comment. I can't wait to start reading about basketball again. This actually makes me nostalgic for the old days, discussing goofy and unrealistic trade scenarios for JCN.

Posted by: labmonkey | August 21, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's not fog the issue up with outside things. This is about one NBA player with some terrible judgement. And GMan raises the best question, is this sort of thing with DS (and to lesser extent AB's peccadillo) a potential harm to the locker room. That and whether DS might be putting himself in trouble with his lack of cooperation are the key things to worry about here.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 21, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The Rap artist shoud not take ALL the blame. The Big Wigs at the record company should take some of the blame also. Gangster and thug sells. Pimps and hos sell. Thats is what they want to see when you march in their office. Koonery sells!!! Alot of the rappers have a message to tell to their audience but they do not hav ethe creative freedom to do so. The Big Wigs wants commercial success.

What are you going to tell a Young Man that is blessed with the gift to rap and comes from nothing? What are you going to tell him when he is staring down a million dollar contract that takes away all creative freedom? Dont do it? Your voice, our voice is not heard.

As long as White folks are buying these records we will never be heard. The Rap game has been so dumbed down its not even funny. To their fault the industry is now seeing a decrease in profits because everything sounds the same.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Since the wizards team is 85% black, why don't you just stop watching them, since every incident seems to boil down to race in many of your perspectives? As a matter of fact, 85% of their roster hasn't had any trouble. But whats the fun in looking at that angle right? Please stop b#tching about this and move on.

Posted by: Jim | August 21, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Wayne from Bowie sounds like Etan Thomas?

Posted by: cwb3 | August 21, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

yeahZERO!!!--

Dude! I know Stevenson refuses to press charges. I know that as a result, a thug with 44 arrests on his record who just shot up a quiet residential neighborhood at 4am can not be arrested and will continue to roam free. That fact, alone, gives me enough basis to reasonably assume that A)DS does not share my values, B)he operates according to the code of the street and C)he fails to understand basic civil responsibility. I, personally, don't approve of sociopaths who willingly allow thugged out, armed and dangerous criminals to spray bullets in a residential neighborhood and walk away scott free. DS could choose to do something about it, but instead he has chosen "not to snitch". I'm not blindly "assuming" DS is a dirtbag, I'm basing that on FACTS reported in the media. If those facts are wrong, I'll revise my opinon, but based on what I know so far, DS sucks! I sure as hell wouldn't want him living in my neighborhood, because if my neighbor had a chance to ensure that a violent criminal got locked up, but instead showed more allegiance to that criminal than to the community, I'd label him a dirtbag--whether he was black, white or purple! Nice people don't side with violent gangbangers. Period. Have a good day.

Posted by: woof | August 21, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Wake me when there's some actual basketball news to discuss.

Posted by: kalorama | August 21, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I do live in the neighborhood and I do not have a concern with the security guards, because from what I hear, DS called the guards to tell them he was having a party and to let anyone in who gave them his name. Then when the guards started asking for ids he called the gate back and asked why they were hassling his friends. Please, this guy has these kinds of "parties" all the time, and thinks he should be above the law. Security only works when everyone takes responsibility for who they let in to the neighborhood. And if he wasn't awake and using the arsenal he's got in his house to return fire, how did the neighbors house across the street get shot up? It's not about black, white or purple, it's about a guy with no respect for anyone but himself.

Posted by: Grace | August 21, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"And if he wasn't awake and using the arsenal he's got in his house to return fire, how did the neighbors house across the street get shot up? "

Grace, I love that "arsenal" quote. I hope you'll survive it down there and hope the HOA gives DS the royal boot. I just feel sorry for those rent a cops manning the gate with their flashlights when Ruff and his boyz return with their tommy guns, tech-9's, and AK's.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

cwb3, if Etan speaks the truth then so be it. I can't say I have heard the man other than when he is talking about basketball.

Now it is sad that your message is the only response I have. But thanks for reading.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Man, listen to Ivan we dont even know all the facts, we shouldnt be labeling DeShawn until we do know all the facts, hell, its not our right to judge anyone anyway...

Like the article said, Stevenson's friend was the one that let the SUV in, and as far as we know DeShawn WAS in his house sleeping. So obviously he didn't have anything to do with it.

Posted by: Bryan | August 21, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

DC Mann88, nice way to comfort Grace in her serious and sensitive situation.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Wayne, my friend. Sorry, but words won't stop bullets. Actions such as giving DS the royal boot out of the community will. Or, get the HOA to toughen up restrictions on visitors past a certain time.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

DC Mann88, I know words won't stop bullets but at a time like this you should be curtious of what you say tho.

Why is DS at fault for Ruff's actions. Ruff was an intruder. If you were in that situation and someone was shooting at your house with you in it would you defend yourself?

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

DS is at fault for his poor judgment in choosing friends and in putting his neighbor's lives in danger by allowing that element to enter a gated community. His boys don't make the mortgage payment, he does. They don't get into that community without an OK by DS. Guards at the shack wouldn't have let Ruff in without consent from DS and/or DS's reps.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I missed this but who said he approved Ruff to enter the community?

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Grace, glad to know there are wizards fans in orlando, living in million dollar neighborhoods, with nothing better to do than read wizards blogs all day long. The wizards are america's team!!!!

I've got bullets fever.

Posted by: Jim | August 21, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe I missed this but who said he approved Ruff to enter the community?

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 21, 2007 04:45 PM "

According to the report, the guards were supposedly told to let everyone in that said they knew DS. Now, if Ruff was aware enough to tell a guard that he knew DS, which then caused the guard to let him in, then it sounds like there's more to this story then we know right now.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"Now, if Ruff was aware enough to tell a guard that he knew DS, which then caused the guard to let him in, then it sounds like there's more to this story then we know right now."

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Posted by: kalorama | August 21, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"How "aware" did he have to be to (A) Know Stevenson lived there and (B) lie to the guard and say he knew Stevenson, hoping (but hardly knowing) that he'd be let in?

Not everything is a conspiracy."

Well, DS was supposedly home when his boys when trolling for ho's. When they convinced the ho's to follow them home, how would Ruff know that they were going to DS's house if DS was supposedly tucked in bed and counting sheep? How would Ruff know the secret password as the ho's entered the gated community in their own vehicle?

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 21, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Secret password? Uh ... yeah.

DeShawn's boys most likely dropped his name at the club to get free drinks and to impress the chicks that they were tight with an NBA *ahem* "star." Huff could have either (A) overheard them (B) asked the bouncer/bartender/waitress/ about them (C) followed them. He got past the front gate by saying he was (A) there to see Stevenson and/or (B) with the car in front of him that had just rolled through the gate. It also may have helped if the guard was either lazy or not terribly bright.

It ain't exactly an Agatha Christie mystery, buddy.

Posted by: kalorama | August 21, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"DeShawn's boys most likely...."

"Huff could have either ....."

"He got past the front gate by saying he was...." - (I'm sure you were there riding shotgun)

"It also may have helped if....."

And the baseless speculation goes on and on, Kalorama, my dear fried....

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 22, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to beleive that DS would have allowed this dude in his house.
How did that conversation go with Hunter and/or friend and DS. I have these ladies who want to come thru but they want to know if its cool to bring their friend Ruff??? C'mon man!

Ruff seemed like he followed the ladies like a P*** whipped dude and told the gaurds he was with them.

Now maybe the gaurds do not want to take blame but obviously the guy was uninvited or else they would have had this argument in the house.

ALL OF YOU ALL HAVE TO START THINKIN!

But what do I expect from the same people who say lets trade AJ, Nick Young, and a 1st round for a DAMN Jermain O'neal.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 22, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"And the baseless speculation goes on and on"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Classic stuff.

Posted by: kalorama | August 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"This from the guy who's constantly spinning ridiculous conspiracy theories, about everything from Arenas faking an injury to the Wiz throwing games at the end of the season."

This coming from a hypocrite himself...the pot calling the kettle black.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 22, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

To clarify on the police report finding spent 9mm Luger shell casings, that is not a typo. Ammunition classifications don't have a great standardized nomenclature. As a general rule though the "9mm" refers to the metric diameter of the bullet and will oftentimes appear (particularly in the military) as "9x19" with the "19" referring to overall cartridge length. Usually, any name that follows the dimensions refers to the original designer or the original, proprietary firearm for which it was designed. In this case, "Luger" refers to the series of handguns designed by Georg Luger for DWM back in Germany in the early 20th century. So, in part, Ivan is correct. The design origin of the shell casings found outside of Ds home can be traced to Germany and they were used in both Waffen sidearms and submachineguns during WWII. The 9mm Luger chambering became incredibly popular as a result of this use and is the standard NATO pistol cartridge and is, by and large, what you are firing in any handgun chambered for a 9mm bullet. So, while it's possible this guy Ruff was throwing shots from a vintage Luger P08 handgun like he was Ray Fiennes in Schindler's List, it's more likely he was using any other modern day autoloader chambered for 9mm.
Glad to hear D is alright and wasn't directly involved. Go Wiz.

Posted by: Birk | August 23, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Damn Birk you are a thug/gangster a str8 up gangbanger...GO WIZ!!!

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | August 23, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse