James & Redd Look Good Together

LAS VEGAS - The biggest "What if" scenarios that have been discussed during the FIBA Americas Championships involve Kobe Bryant finally playing for Mike Krzyzewski (the coach he would've played for had he gone to college at Duke and the one he requested for the Los Angeles Lakers' job in 2004) and Bryant teamming up with Jason Kidd. Remember, the Lakers' refusal to sacrifice Andrew Bynum in order to get Kidd at the trade deadline in February sparked Bryant's Laker-bashing rant to fans in front of a Southern California shopping center this summer.

But there is another "What if" pairing that would've possibly been much more impactful in the NBA championship picture and is being completely overlooked here: LeBron James and Michael Redd are finally on the same team.

James has been the best playmaker not named Jason Kidd for the United States and Redd has been dropping three-pointers like they were layups. Both players admit that the thought has crossed their minds about what could've been had Redd opted for joining the Cleveland Cavaliers instead of staying in Milwaukee as a free agent in the summer of 2005.

"No doubt about it," Redd said. "You can't avoid that. Obviously, I think it would've been special, but it's no regrets at the same time."

"Oh, always," James said. "Especially when you've got a deadly shooter like that. Anytime he catches the ball, it's going in - 90 percent of the time."

James is exaggerating a bit. Redd is only shooting 51.6 percent (16 of 31) from beyond the three-point line in the first four games.

Around the time Redd made an underhand lob and James practically looked down at the rim before dunking against the Virgin Islands on Thursday, it became obvious that these guys would've been great together.

"I think we would've won some games," Redd said with a laugh on Sunday.

And, after Cleveland's disgusting four-game sweep in the NBA Finals that bored basketball fans and sportswriters alike, it's a shame they never did join forces.

Redd was the first player Cleveland pursued in free agency that summer - it wasn't Larry Hughes, no matter how the Cavaliers have tried to spin it since. But the Cavs couldn't offer any more than a five-year, $70 million contract, the maximum that a team is allowed to pay a free agent from another team.

Redd, a native of Columbus and former star at Ohio State, mulled over returning home, but he couldn't resist the lure of a six-year, $91 million deal to remain in Milwaukee - or the opportunity to lead his own team rather than being a sidekick. "I made that decision I made for me and family," Redd said.

You cannot blame Redd for securing his financial situation for life - and then some - but had he joined forces with James, it would've have changed the directions of two franchises. James and Redd would've made Cleveland comparable to some of the power teams out West. And, Hughes might've been forced to stick around in Washington (Even if Milwaukee decided to throw big money his way, Hughes probably would've taken a pass to stay with the Wizards).

I know Redd missed most of the second half of the season with a knee injury, but you have to assume he would've come back to join a contending Cavaliers team instead of a lousy Bucks squad. Thhe Cavaliers would've been a legitimate challenger to the San Antonio Spurs last summer with those two.

I'm not saying that the Cavaliers would've won, but the series would've gone at least six games, since Bruce Bowen would've had to stop James's penetration and Redd on the perimeter. "You have to guard him. You have to guard me," Redd said.

It's no secret that the Cavaliers needed a shooter more than it needed Hughes. As much as I like Hughes, he doesn't fit in Cleveland. His game overlaps with James, and he is neither a pure point guard or spot-up shooter. With Redd in Cleveland, James wouldn't have to carry the Cavs by his lonesome and he wouldn't have to rely on a sidekick named "Boobie."

"Everything worked out," James said. "He has a team to himself and I have a team to myself and we're going to do our best to make them better."

I remember talking to a couple of sportswriters about how mad I was that Redd wasn't in Cleveland, so that I could see an entertaining NBA Finals. I mentioned how the NBA's salary structure leaves the league with too many one-man shows and franchises forced to sell on star to its fan base. It puts so much pressure on the star to produce and leads to frustrating trade demands (Bryant, Vince Carter, Baron Davis) or teams holding on to stars so long that they can only get 50 cents on the dollar (Kevin Garnett).

Now that Boston has brought Garnett and Ray Allen to Boston to join Paul Pierce, the list of lone rangers includes Bryant, James, Redd, Jermaine O'Neal and Joe Johnson. After watching Redd and James in Vegas, it would've been nice to see how good they would've been on an NBA team."You never know what will happen in the future," Redd said.

By Michael Lee  |  August 27, 2007; 1:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time to "Vacate"
Next: More From Vegas

Comments

I agree....Hughes looks awful in Cleveland but he made a wise choice in going there instead of staying with the Wiz.
USA looked great again last night. Having a real point guard on the team (Jason Kidd) makes them function much better.

Posted by: low | August 27, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know when Venezuela plays next? I'd like to see what is going on with Vasquez, without the iron thumb of GW slowing his game. He is going to be just a sophmore next year at MD, right?

Posted by: oddjob | August 27, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Mike, do you really think turnovers should be included in the glory for a quadruple double?

". . .Side note: Maryland sophomore Greivis Vasquez helped Venezuela avoid an early exit and helped his team advance into the second round by nearly recording a quadruple double in a 100-90 win over the Virgin Islands. Vasquez final line: 18 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds and nine. . .turnovers."

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

A good question to debate on is Michael Redd. Clearly, he's capitalizing on his talents and the opportunity on the team. The role he's playing though, is a role which Gilby relishes. Catch and shoot, and just plain score. Given all that, who's the better guy and better guy for that team? Redd or Gilby?

Redd is a bit older, but more solid at 6-6. Gilby may be a bit quicker.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

DCMANN,

gilby needs the ball in his hands to score...redd is a spot up shooter. GIl is clearly the better player but redd is better for team USA without a doubt. Remember Gil got cut from the team? he doesnt fit in there. The need real point guards and real shooters and Gil is neither he is just a scorer so he didn't fit in.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Anon, completely agree with one nitpick. Gilbert is a "real shooter" too. He is just not the same spot up type shooter that Redd is. Then again with the game on the line who would you rather have on the court to create and make the game winner. I think that's an easy answer.

Posted by: Rob P | August 27, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I think you will see Gary Williams loosen the reins on Vasquez more next year. With guards like Vasquez and Hayes the Terrapins will have a chance no matter what they've got in the frontcourt.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 27, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Larry Hughes lowers his head in shame. Daniel Gibson keeps on laughing.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 27, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Larry Hughes lowers his head in shame. Daniel Gibson keeps on laughing.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 27, 2007 11:45 AM "

Larry's got about 65 more mil in the bank though; 10 more mil than if he had stayed with Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: George Templeton | August 27, 2007 11:17 AM "

I'm more excited about the big man that's coming next year. This year, they have Gist and Gist last year had hands of stone, and no offensive moves or consistent J.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

No matter what the topic is or who the topic is about, how does it always come back to Gilber? Gil can't catch a break on this blog! Too funny!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is nice going Team USA! Emphasis on TEAM, everyone is helping each other out.

Posted by: rgz | August 27, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree, they are playing great TEAM ball. I caught a litte of two games and I was impressed with their over all play. So I agree, GO TEAM USA!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Michael. I had semi-forgotten the potential James-Redd pairing, but it's looking better in hypothetical hindsight all the time.

You can't really blame Redd for taking the extra dough, but I bet he wished he chose differently when his tankalicious Bucks came up #6 on lotto night.

By the same token, in their heart of hearts, the Bucks probably wish they weren't on the hook for $91 mil for him. He's a franchise guy and a fantastic player, but that kind of money should be reserved for top-5 players that guarantee you some level of success. In a perfect world, Redd is the #2 option on a title contender.

Posted by: Jake H. | August 27, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Well this team USA forum is tailor made for making Redd look good. Of course he can flat out shoot, but its more obvious on this team because there is NOBODY an opposing team can slack off on. So Redd is able to get great open looks, looks in motion, and even nice wide lanes to drive in. I'm not so sure this would be like what we'd see him and Lebron do with the Cav's when they would be the clear 1 - 2 for opponents to key in on.

That said, this team looks a TON better than team USA did the last go around. Much better defensively, and when Kidd is running things, such great motion on offense. I notice a big drop off in movement on offense when Billups comes in. And having more pure shooters like Redd helps the whole game plan out. But what's REALLY doing it for this team is how good the perimater (on and off ball) defense is, its really messing with people. And (yikes) I have to say its Kobe showing the way on defense. And Kidd making it happen on offense.

If this team goes into the Olympics intact, I like our odds.

Posted by: cwb3 | August 27, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This blog often comes back to Gilbert because there is mainly one poster who refuses to be objective about him.

They cannot see the many positives in his game and makeup, along only some negatives.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hughes maybe making more money in Cleveland, but I doubt if he is any happier. He does not fit in well there as has already been mentioned.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't beleive Hughes is happy there either. I saw a interview on Comcast with him and he did say that he missed the DC area and tries to get back often. He signed a huge contract and got a lot of money and I know people don't believe this, but somtimes there are more important things than a lot of money. Money is good but it does not always make one happy.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I've still got a soft spot in my heart for Hughes and was definitely sorry to see him go. (Can you imagine Gil and Larry in the backcourt with Caron and 'Tawn at the forwards? No one would be able to match our 'small ball'.)

While the $ was better for Larry in Cleveland, let's remember that one of the main reasons he went there was because of the city's proximity to that heart clinic for his brother. So, folks should take a step back and keep in mind that is isn't always about the payoff when it comes to these athlete's decisions.

Posted by: Eric | August 27, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

And while we're on the subject of Cavs front office failing, let us not forget about a Mr. C. Boozer. Sure, he stabbed Gund in the back (and it wouldn't have been an issue if any GM had been smart enough to have taken him in the first round instead of after the likes of Dajuan Wagner (CLE) or Curtis Borchard ). But in the what if game, what if Cleveland had managed to get Redd to go along with James and Boozer. Think they could have given the Spurs a series?

Posted by: C Boozer | August 27, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, there are many, if not all, posters who aren't objective on him, meaning few on middle ground. Most on this website are far on one side, while I consider myself more towards the middle ground. I didn't start railing at Gilby until he switched courses from his "rebel" mode to his "coming out party" mode.

Remind yourselves, I haven't made anything up about Gilby. I only write about what he spews out of his mouth, and the actions that he takes. Many of these things are swept under the rug by the apologists, so I may come across as a radical anti-Gilby only because I remind people who choose to forget or turn a blind eye.

I don't expect any of these players to be perfect, but when you are blatantly hypocritical (not just imperfect) like Gilby, then you smack at the face of your own integrity and bad luck story that you're trying to sell, and I'll call you out on it every time.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Give Hughes credit for securing a good future for himself and family!

Boozer dogged Cleveland more than anyone. they did not even have to allow him to go unrestricted.

Posted by: RobGreg | August 27, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure what you mean by hypocritical, but there is something I have wanted to post about Gilbert for a while.

I think the Wiz would be a better team if Gilbert would be a more efficient player (and maybe he will get there). Last year his shooting percentage was 41.8 percent, the lowest of any top 20 scorer and probably the lowest of any all star.

Since he is playing the PG position he should be looking to set up his teammates more. He should shoot in the mid 40's percentage wise (maybe 25 points/game) and improve his assists from 6 to 8 per game.

I think Gilbert will probably always be a shooting PG, but Jason Kidd and, of course, Steve Nash shoot far less, but have a good deal more affect on an NBA game.

Posted by: Tim | August 27, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

No DC Man88, you say stupid stuff about Arenas all of the time. Like when you said he wasn't an elite player, despite being a repeat all star (starter this year), the third highest point scorer in the league, a guy capable of dropping 60 and 50 point games and the seemingly consensus "hardest player to guard off the dribble" in the league (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=ScoutingArenas)).

His defensive work is not world class, though the same could be said about LeBron, Nash and other "elite" players. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys at that position who can bring what he brings to the table, and in a world of 6 billion, I'd say that is pretty elite.

So enough of the "keeping it real" crap. A couple other people said it perfect. You're ruining this blog with your stupidity.

Posted by: JE | August 27, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Tim, I guess you are new to following Les BouleS. A blatant example of hypocrisy is Arenas saying 1.5 years ago that he wouldn't financially strap a team like what AI or KG did by asking for so much money. He said those teams couldn't afford other top free agents b/c of them.

Then right before last season ended, he said he was going to opt out and become a max player after all because he needed to feed his kids. It dawned upon him after he hurt his knee. So, instead of sticking with his current 90mil(?) guaranteed contract, he's going to opt out and feed his kids with 115 mil, hopefully, instead.

Anybody out there would probably do the same, and I would not fault them, but I sure as heck wouldn't feed the fans with a holier than thou "i'm not going to be like AI or KG" and then go right ahead and do it.

Here are some other choice quotes from Gilby the hero:

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

"Arenas said Jordan spent too much time on defense during a slump. Jordan came back at him, questioning Arenas's leadership. At a time when both organizations could have taken a stand against one or more marquee players for words that straddled the insubordination line, nary a peep was heard from upstairs. Running the risk of alienating LeBron James or Gilbert Arenas seemed too great for management to get involved."

"Jordan said he has not spoken with his all-star guard since the night of the injury and has not requested that Arenas attend practices or games.

Butler, who has been out since injuring his hand on April 1, has attended practices and sat on the bench at home games, including yesterday's, when he enthusiastically supported his teammates throughout.

"Gil is Gil," Jordan said. "He's very, very different. There's nothing that we are making mandatory for him unless our front office, you know, has a different idea for him. I know how Gil is. We all know how Gil is. So, there's nothing mandatory for me.""

Not exactly what you expect out of a "franchise player."

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JE | August 27, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I think management should go first class in how it treats its players.

I think Gil was wrong about his criticism of the coach on defense, which the Wiz should try to improve. I agree with you that Gil so far is not a leader in the classical sense.

But every player in the league has plusses and minuses and I still think the cup is more than half full with Gilbert. I see a player who has a lot of ability, and still works hard and improves every year. And he wants to win.

There have been so many Bullets/Wiz players in the past who did not have this: ability and desire. Do you remember John "Hot Plate" Williams, a Bullets player with a good deal of ability, who basically ate himself out of the NBA.

For right now the Wiz won't be in the playoffs without a healthy Gil (and Caron and AJ).

Posted by: Tim | August 27, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"Jordan clashed with coaches and punched out two of his teammates. Kobe ran off Phil Jackson once, is arguably responsible for Shaq's departure, oh and allegedly raped someone. These issues far eclipse someone complaining about how extra effort one place is affecting performance in another. What I expect out of franchise players (Jordan, Kobe) is production and of late, Arenas has delivered in spades.

Posted by: JE | August 27, 2007 06:41 PM "

Why do idiots bring up topics that have no relevance to Les BouleS or Gilby? Who gives a sh!t what Jordan did, what Kobe did, or what Shaq did? Absolutely no relevance to the topic whatsoever.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"I don't see Gil as hypocritical because he changed his mind about how much money he wants."

It's one thing to change your mind, but when you gave a "holier than thou" response where you condemn your fellow players like AI and KG and saying "you're not going to be like them," but then turnaround and do the exact same, that's the definition of a hypocrite. Nevermind, of all things, borrowing a phrase from Sprewell and saying you're doing it b/c you have to feed your kids. Not only is it ridiculous, it's a joke.

"As far as criticizing management about how it treats its players with facilities, hotels, planes, etc, that criticism has been leveled at Abe Pollin for years going back at least to Howard and Webber. MJ did not like that when he was here and tried to address some of it."

I guess you don't have a problem with a "franchise player" justifying that in order for a franchise to convince their players to win a championship, that they have to treat them like champions? Funny, I thought that's what their salaries were for. I guess to you, salaries are bonuses, while perks and high tech gadgets in the locker room are the real reasons players feel obligated to give it their all on the court. I guess it's too much to ask a "franchise player" who's making 13 mil a year to watch his diet.

"He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day."

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The relevance lies in the fact that you attack Arenas' franchise status on the basis of character flaws. By showing that other franchise players have worse character problems, the argument that Gilbert can't be franchise because of his character is in itself flawed. Also, anyone who thinks a business doesn't use facilities and accouterments to lure the best talent, is just not thinking straight. And by the way, the whole Les BouleS think is incredibly gay. Call them the Bullets if you want, Wizards, Wiz, DC, Washington, but seriously using an incorrect FRENCH nickname for your team is whack.

So far, the arguments you have made to bring into question Gilbert's franchise status are non-related to his ability and on court production. Frankly, I'll take a guy who is a little goofy to a rapist and a guy who hits teammates where character is concerned.

Posted by: JE | August 27, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I called Gilby out on his hypocrisy. I couldn't care less about MJ, Shaq, and what Kobe did. Whether I do or don't, I've never come out and said that they were angels compared to Gilby, so that throws your argument out the window where it belongs.

Les BouleS will be doing Les BouleS franchise a disservice by signing Gilby to a max contract for Les BouleS. Curse of Les BouleS happened last season and many seasons before that, and could happen.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

i think somebody has reached his word limit.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't really know what constitutes a franchise player. The question comes down to semantics.

But I'd summarize Gil's status with the team as follows: with him and the current group of players the Wiz are a mediocre, first or maximum second round playoff team. Without him, they're in the lottery.

I guess most people would call that a "franchise player," but in the grand scheme of things I don't see why the title is so important.

Posted by: Mitch | August 27, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Gilbert works hard, is committed to improving and desires to win shows he is trying to win a championship. That is also true for Caron and AJ and probably for most of the rest of team as far as I can tell.

EG seems to be doing the best he can to put the best team on the floor.

So I don't really see your argument.

Posted by: Tim | August 27, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Mitch, I find it laughable that a franchise would even consider someone a franchise player who openly says, as Ivan reported, "does not want to be a leader and wants nothing to do with leadership."

Also, I think if Gilby were not on this team, if the team was stayed healthy, there's no reason why the team couldn't make it to the playoffs....especially if he were traded to another team for someone else of the same caliber or a decent setup point guard like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or even Raymond Felton.

Surely, having Gilby makes the team more competitive, but if you saw the end of last season, where a Gilby "led" team couldn't win a game without at least both Caron and AJ in the game too, that shows that he can't carry the team. It was just another rag tag offense game after another.

A franchise player carries his team on his back, and makes everyone better, like J.Kidd, Lebron, and Nash. Or, a franchise player is tops in both defense and offense, like Kobe. A franchise player doesn't go on a west coast road trip against sub.500 non lottery teams and comes back 1-4 b/c Caron didn't play.

The title of franchise player is not as important as getting paid like a franchise player. That's why Gilby wants nothing to do with leadership, but expects a max contract.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"The fact that Gilbert works hard, is committed to improving and desires to win shows he is trying to win a championship.

So I don't really see your argument.

Posted by: Tim | August 27, 2007 09:40 PM "

Apparently you didn't, and for that matter, you didn't get Gilby's point either.

""We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' ""

I guess paying a salary isn't everything. I suggest you go to work and tell your boss that salary/benefits is not enough. He/she's got to feed you, buy you high tech gadgets, and do all that extra stuff before you would even consider giving 100%. Just paying your salary and benefits isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 27, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

To me Gilbert, Caron, AJ and most of the rest want to be champions.

Posted by: Tim | August 27, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

And my argument that Arenas is elite because he performs at an elite level is still very much IN the window.

Posted by: JE | August 28, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Nice Interesting Post Micheal,
James and Redd on the same team could have made for an interesting pairing. But another spin on the "what if" would be a Arenas and Redd pairing.
Other than Jamison, Arenas has played most of his career without being paired with a knock em down three point threat. And in Jamison's case he only became a real outside threat once he has paired with Arenas for the second time in his career here in Washington. Back when Jamison came into the league the book on him was:"power forward's game in a small forward's body, a classic tweener, can he shooot well enough to switch to the three?"
But pairing Arenas in a backcourt with Redd would give the Wizards a backcourt with two deadly shooters, with a guy like Redd to run with Arenas's assist numbers could easily jump by a couple of assists per game. Having Jamison and Redd to dump the ball to on his drives to the hoop would create all kinds of problems for the opposition.
But I'm still an "old school" guy like Ray, I'd spend that money in a second on big instead of on another guy to give us a monster backcourt. I still think that we're a compentent five away from a really good team here, so that's the real world course to this team's improvement. The development of Pecherov and Blatche are going to be the keys to this years team's fortunes.
Maybe by next year we can begin to see the pairing of Arenas with Young if the kid learns to play a little NBA defense and masters the Princeton. Two to three years from now we could have a monster backcourt if that kid harnesses that vast talent that he flashes. He's got "Redd like" size, with a nice jumper to go with his quick first step. He'll be a guy that can get his own shot in this league once he learns the NBA game.
And best of all,like almost all of Grunfeld draftees he's a "Gym Rat". Ernie has always picked guys that love to play and work on their game all year long. Pecherov, McGuire, Blatche, and Young apparently all have been working hard at the games all summer.
The one thing that the, "is he a franchise player?" debate has ignored that can't be disputed is that Gilbert Arenas is a bonafide undisputed "Gym Rat". He leads by being on the court and working out everyday, often all day and late at night too. I Don't think anyone anywhere can dispute that fact. When your best player works that hard at getting better it rubs off, and Ernie's assembling a group of guys that are going to follow their leader to the gym.
Micheal's post about Micheal Redd brings to mind an important point about all of the best of the best in this league going back to the alltime greats. The guys that become great work at honing their game year round and are never content to have gotten their payday or rest on their laurels.
And Micheal Jordan ushered in the era when guys work at honing their bodies year round to get into incrediable basketball condition. Guys like Jordan and Barkley remade themselves with offseason weight training and conditioning to take their games to new heights.
Micheal Redd was a shooting guard that couldn't shoot when he came into the league. Someone pointed out here a couple of weeks ago that the question on Arenas when he got here was his offensive game. He's worked hard and improved every year that he's been in the league.
People lead in all different ways, I kind of like a guy that's not going to get out worked by the competition. This is going to be a fun year, it's fashionable for the experts to doubt us. And I think that's just how this group of guys that Ernie is putting together like it.

Posted by: GM | August 28, 2007 3:06 AM | Report abuse

"* Notice I could give a crap about what you think about how I use "Les BouleS" in my comments. If it bothers you, too bad."
Posted by: Dc woMan88 (aka Clewiston88 /CluelessOne).

DC woMan88 is so bitter toward Gil because:
1) Unrequited love. Gil rejected his advances.
2) He's so goofy looking that no one will respect him. Want proof? See his profile photo:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 4:56 AM | Report abuse

DC WoMan/88 is just a straight up Gil hater and no matter what you say to prove him/her wrong, he/she will hate Gilbert and use this post to rip him. I have been reading these posts for quite some time and if you go back and read them, pretty much every topic that has been brought up, he/she will find a way to bring Gil into the conversation so that he can put him down. I say to say, it is not even worth trying to stats that proves Gil's worth to the Wizards. And so what if Gil is a little quirky, when Katrina went down, he was one of the first to arrive at the arena with items he brought out of is pocket money. Is Arenas perfect? No, but are any of the other athletes. Is he a leader yet? No, but he will and his teammates will be the first to tell you that he is not the vocal get in your face type of guy. What he does do is give the Wiz all that he has and provides leadership and committment in how he prepares for his position by training hard every day hours on end.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 8:09 AM | Report abuse

"I disagree when people say that athletes who want to win championships shouldn't take max deals at the risk of hamstringing their teams. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't seek their market value in compensation, is making a foolish mistake. Anyone who takes more money from their company is making it harder for their company to money, but that doesn't mean its hypocritical that they want their company to be as successful as possible.

Posted by: JE | August 28, 2007 12:30 AM "

You missed the point once again. The hypocrisy isn't in him changing his mind. The hypocrisy is in Gilby calling out his fellow NBA players and saying he won't be like them b/c they hurt their teams, but then go out and do the very same thing and then use an excuse from Sprewell's book that he has to feed his kids. That's the hypocrisy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I love Agent 0. He just better be work harder on the Defensive end. Like they say....DEFENSE wins championships...sprinkle in offense, coaching, chemistry and a little favor from the Lord (which nonbelievers refer to as Luck) Can't we all get along?

Posted by: G$ | August 28, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute...is that who DC Man88 is? Is he Clewiston from ESPN? That's insane.

Posted by: RichBoy | August 28, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

So, Gilbert is not supposed to get his worth like other players? Now, supposed he did say next year that he wanted to say some cap space to get other players to help the team win? I bet you DC WoMan/88 would still have something to say. I admit I love Gilbert to death and I will also say that there are things he can improve upon, but damn, I have never seen a person who shows as much hate for someone then this DC WoMan/88. What ever Gil did to you, boy it's got you all twisted mentally cause you can't seem to get past it. Let it go man/woman.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Never, b/c Gilby the clown provides ample amount of ammo each time he opens up his mouth and utters another silly thing. Tell your boy Gilby to keep his mouth shut, focus on the team game, and all will be well. Otherwise girl, you'll have another season of heartache hearing from me.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

the stars are lining up for Gilbert to have another very big year. He will add defense to his game this year. He has already said so, for the first time. Caron is going to keep blowing up too. Just wish we had somebody waiting in the wings to step up his game too...and we don't. Stil a year or two away. Eddie will get his young big man, but not this year, maybe next. Which could be too late for Eddie.

Posted by: oddjob | August 28, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

DMac is a hungry cat and I expect him to be in the running for rookie of the year. It all depends on whether EJ will give him any PT.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yea, I agree. DMac is smarting a little from draft day and is going to explode to show what he can do. My man definitely has game and I hope EJ don't have him riding the pine. I too think he will be in the running for rookie of the year if he gets to play some good minutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

If Les BouleS want to trash the Princeton Offense idea and do a run and gun uptempo offense, it'd be interesting to have Gilby, Nick Young, DMac, and AB on the court together.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

That is one of the things he has apparently changed his mind about: calling out his fellow players.

I also got the impression that Gil changed his view once he injured his knee. It was like he realized that a few serious injuries and his career could be shortened, so why not get the money while he can.

From all the discussion, though, I think the bigger picture is this, most of us don't agree with the way you seem to focus on several seemingly little negative items, but don't see the positive things that could give you a more balanced point of view.

Gilbert's constant year round hard work and improvement from year to year suggest to most of us that he is a worthy NBA player who wants to win a championship. Yet you focus on a few items quoted in newspaper and ignore everything else. (You know newspapers don't always get the story exactly right anyway.)

I think we are getting to the point where we are going to have to just agree to disagree and move on.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to admit that he's a pretty good individual player, but no one is willing to agree that this guy is a nut, and even though he's a nut, it still does not excuse you from being responsible for your words or actions.

It wasn't long ago that he said his dream shoe commercial is for people to jump from the nosebleeds and hurt themselves to get his jersey, but a little girl eventually gets his jersey and then gets clotheslined by a kid in a wheelchair, whereby then the quote "nothing is impossible" shows up for Adidas. If that's not sick, then I don't know what is, but people here seem to be OK with that.

Be reminded, that I would have no ammo to go on if we didn't get constant, fresh ammo from this dude Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

DCMan's got a point: Gil is a nutcase, and a bit of a hypocrite. But the other people on this board have their points, too. The guys is one of the best one-on-one offensive players in the league. He is one of the hardest working players in the league. He is generous to the public. And who among us isn't a bit of a hyprocrite and, at age 24, a nutcase much of the time?

DCMan, I'm not one of your haters out there. I think you have plenty of good comments on this board. I know you have fun firing away at sacred cows, and by nature so do I. But can't people on a fan site be enthusiastic, even a bit blind, about the team's best players, without you getting in their face so quickly and vociferously, with the predictable point-counterpoint-name-calling that follows?

Posted by: Prazak | August 28, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"I gotta say, I've been reading DC Man's rants for a long time, and I've never had the feeling he's a Gil hater or a Wiz hater. He's even said some moderately positive things about both. What seems to bring out the negativity in him is when people are too unabashedly Gil loving. Then you see him start talking trash about Gil and the Wiz just to p*ss people off."

This is so true in a nutshell, and given all that, it's been just so easy for me to tear down their god, their star, their hope, and their dream. Gilby is a guy that if you give him a dagger (microphone), he'll stab himself in the face, but people will laugh, b/c he's a nut.

Les BouleS as a team is so much bigger than just Gilby. Caron is equally important if not more, as he's shown this team couldn't win without him last season. So, Gilby lovers and star struck fans, spread the love to the other players. Your god is but a mere mortal. Deal with it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

dcman is a f@g...i think he jerks off in his spare time...what kind of loser hates a team so much and is always on that teams blog writing about them...that person needs to get a life, there is no one hypocritical than dcman...u said gil is not a leader because he doesnt make anyone better...r u a blind f@g now...AJ and Caron went to their first allstar games playing with him, he made larry look like an allstar, something even LBJ could not do...honestly who is your team dcman...do u have one...and y dont u go over there and post on their blog...your like a blog thug...talk all this smack over the computer...but we know u wouldnt say anything in person...cause if u had balls like that u wouldnt be so pressed to be on this blog...u girl

Posted by: jason | August 28, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Jason, I hope you feel better after your venting. Me? I couldn't care less what you have to say, or what you think about me. More power to ya!

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

haha...obviously i know u dont care...u dont care at all...thats y u make it ur life purpose to talk crap about a team u dont like....rigghhhttttt...and u say u "dont care"....hahaha...at least u have a sense of humour

Posted by: jason | August 28, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jason | August 28, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

DCMan, I was tryin' to do my bit for peace love and understanding, there, but you don't seem interested. P*ssing people off is a personal sport for you. Why spread conflict and anger in this world? Isn't there enough of it already?

I'm not saying Gilby is god, but can't you bring yourself to admit he's one of the best one-on-one offensive players in the league? Or that he's one of the hardest working players in the league? Or that he's generous? Your refusal to acknowledge any of Gilbert's strengths is just as glaring as some fans' refusal to acknowledge his weaknesses.

You and those who can't resist the urge to get into a p*ssing match with you make this blog such a drag to read sometimes. Any chance you all could tone it down a few notches?

Posted by: Prazak | August 28, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

What is laughable is that DCwhatever is calling Gil a NUT! Who do you all think is a NUT??? DCWhatever is the NUTCASE.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing to me is the fact that DC Man 88 thinks he's tearing down a "god" (not sure where he got the idea that a player we like is a god), but he doesn't consider that 9 in 10 people think he's out of his mind. He thinks it's easy to tear someone down, but people don't see what he says as breaking Gilbert, but rather a largely irrational smear campaign. So keep tooting your own horn DC Man, I'm glad "it's just been so easy" for you to paint yourself as a retard on the internet.

Posted by: JE | August 28, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Is it OK to interrupt the rants for a little basketball?

I had season tickets to the Clyde/Bradley/Reed/DeBusschere Knicks and I saw the first Dream Team, BUT the basketball being played by this year's group in LV every night is the best team basketball I have ever seen. Great defense, selfless offense, fine shooting, team depth, all-out effort.

Good for the USA!

Posted by: joe c | August 28, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Amen, joe c, and Carmelo is a player who just keeps getting better. And Coach K might be the best international hoops coach Team USA ever had.

Posted by: Prazak | August 28, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

GET OFF GILBERTS NUTTS FAGS.......LEBRON IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Everyone (myself included) needs to totally ignore DCMan...don't even read his posts - we pretty much know they are just full of Gil hate...or Abe Pollin hate. He loves the attention he gets so if we just don't read and don't respond he will not get any benefit from his hallucinating posts - and hopefully will get frustrated and disappear.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"someone who didnt care wouldnt be on a wizards fan blog hatin hard on gilbert like he is ur baby's daddy...if u really didnt care u would find somethin better to do than hatin like its ur job...hahaha

Posted by: jason | August 28, 2007 05:45 PM "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

gayson, obviously you failed reading comprehension last year in grade school. I said "I couldn't care less what you have to say..." Idiot!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Please Prazak, I don't have to do anything I don't want to do on this blog. I do what I do. If you don't like it, that's just going to be tough.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

GM, I liked what you said in an earlier post about Pech, McQuire, Blatche and Young working hard on their games all summer and that Ernie likes to draft players that are Gym Rats.

I like our guys working hard and being committed to improving. It surprises me you put Blatche in this group. I did not see where he improved a lot this past year. But I assume you have accurate information.

Posted by: Tim | August 28, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Michael! Enjoying Vegas?

Michael Redd would have "secured his financial position for life" by signing with the Cavs, too--AND he would have gotten to play with LeBron James. Sometimes money and pride should take a backseat to winning championships. Does anyone really think that a team can win a title with Michael Redd (as good as he is) as the number-one option?

Posted by: Russ Bengtson | August 28, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Just saw PTI. Charles Oakley said he will come back and will take the first call and negotiate terms and go with that team. Too bad Les BouleS already have a full roster.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 28, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Andray!
You watching me START against USA? I'm getting major minutes, some baskets and boards, and the BEST VIEW of many, many spectacular dunks!
Let's go hit a club and find some 'tang to celebrate!

Posted by: P J Ramos | August 29, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Who was complaining about the guy going for the quadruple-double with turnovers?

I'm trying for a triple-double and have made it easy in FDOs (the "facially dunked on" column)...

Michael and Ivan - let them know the Wiz gave up on way too soon!

Posted by: P J Ramos | August 29, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

GOOD GRIEF YOU GUYS!!!

WHO COULD GIVE A RATS BEHIND ABOUT THE WIZARDS? ITS TIME TO FOCUS ON THE REDSKINS!

SO..HOYLE GOT THAT LOSER TAPSCOTT ANOTHER JOB? ANOTHER FRIENDS & FAMILY HOOK UP LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL HE'S JUST A VAGABON DRIFTER...DOESN'T MAKE ANY TEAM,THING OR BODY BETTER...SHOW & TELL ALL TALK
THEY NEED TO PUT OUT SOME REAL MONEY FOR REAL TALENT - OR THE WIZARDS WILL JUST REMAIN MEDIOCRE AT BEST.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 1:42 AM | Report abuse

I wish we had kept Hughes. He was my favorite player back to the MJ days, and his bolting still hurts me as a fan. If we had kept him, then made that Kwame for Caron trade, man would we have a nice team.

Still I like what we got this year. Alot of folks are puttin the Celtics in the Finals. But honestly, I'd take our Big 3 over there's any day. And our bench is a heck of alot better.

I too am looking forward to see what DMac does. He's going to be very good, and I think it's gonna be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup by the end of the season.

We gotta come up with a nickname for our big 3 rookies (Young, McGuire and Pecherov). We can have the "Big 3" and the "Rising 3"!!

Posted by: Darnell | August 29, 2007 2:01 AM | Report abuse

WOAH!cleveland cavaliers organization wont regret if they sing michael "silky" redd... woah it would be a great great duo!!!LBJ&MR!!!GOGOGO!!!I HOPE CAVS WILL SIGN MICHAEL REDD(MR)!...ÜÜÜ

Posted by: PATRICK CAÑETE | August 29, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

James and Redd makes a good combination..actually, when i play NBA live 2007 season, i traded hughes for redd and it work! my team got stronger and much better...let's hope that they play together...

Posted by: jaycee teruel | August 29, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

GO TRADE MR FOR HUGHES SO THAT JAMES WILL NOT ANNYMORE TIRED OF SCORING

Posted by: JAMES | August 29, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

JoeC and Prazak, I think you might be getting a little carried away with your praise of the USA team. Certainly they have played well, but most of the teams at this tournament don't have their best players and of course the US isn't even facing the best European teams.
As for your assertion about Mike K's coaching skills I offer this retort
September 1, 2006: Greece 101, USA 95

Posted by: George Templeton | August 29, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

YounGun,McG and Pesch

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Tim, Blatche was a workout regular all summer from what I've heard. He was keeping himself in prime condition if anyone called that wanted to take a look at him in restricted FA. As far as I know I never saw where anyone worked him out.
I've read a couple of places that he's apparently been really diligent since his little encounter with a bust that went bust on him. I think it's been reported before that some of the vets had been busting on him about working harder last season, I guess he figures he's given plenty of ammo already and better get to work.
He wouldn't be the first kid that it took a couple of years to figure out that he couldn't just come to the league and cruise on talent. I'm old enough to remember Jermaine O'Neal and the rep he had at Portland of just not working very hard and it eventually kicked in for him. Maybe this summer and not getting one restricted FA offer will kick some sense into Blatche.
Teams in this league are not going to just throw around alot of FA money at young guys without them knowing they have some work ethic. Blatche may not be one of thoose guys that is a natural Gym Rat, in fact nobody really is. Some where along the way guys pick it up from a coach, a mentor or another player.
That's why I want to have my team leader having the rep of being a guy that works his tail off. That's where things went wrong in the Webber/Howard era, we brought in a solid NBA vet to lead the team at point that had a rep as of having the poorest workout, diet, sleep and game prep habits of anyone in the league. But Stickland could come straight to the game after a hard night's dancing and drinking, eat a hotdog on the bench and play a solid game at the point if he kept the hotdog down.
An ok guy to add as a quirky peice to a solid playoff group. Kind of like Rodman with the Bulls, he's really not going to get in the head of alot of vets that know how to conduct themselves. But Stickland wasn't a team leader and things fell to Webber and company long before they were mature enough to handle it. I'm sure Webber as a grizzled vet, wishes that he'd have had a solid vet that was a real pro to lead them back then.
That's where I think Jamison has been a real key to this Wizard's resurgence the last couple of years. Along with Caron and Arenas he's established a locker room where hard work is really valued. That's where I'd agree with Darnell, I really like our big three when I compare them to our competition. Both on the court and off the court I think we've got some real winners.

Posted by: GM | August 29, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

THE OPEC CARTEL!

Posted by: GM | August 29, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 29, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Really nothing small about having you players coming in over the summer on their own time and working out and working on their games TOGETHER. That's where team chemistry starts, with a group of guys that are willing to put in time to build it.
Stevenson lives and sleeps(apparently through almost anything) in Orlando, his coming to town and running with Gilbert in some summer league games takes some commitment on his part. And it appears to be a commitment toward building court awareness and chemistry with his backcourt running mate.
A coach can try and forge team chemistry in camp, but it goes alot further if you've got vets leading the team during the off season and guys are working on their games. It's fine that Jamison is home and resting up the legs because he's got some miles on them. We want him back with a bounce in his step, not worn down from a summer of playing for team USA. But there's a group of young guys that are here and working almost everyday at getting better, and that's the first step to forging this year's team chemistry.
Reasons for the unstable rotation last season lie with the coach, and having a team with a razor thin margin for error because of lack of talent at the end of the bench. Blatche with another year's experience, a healthy Songalia, Young, McGuire and Pecherov will make a huge difference at the start of the season. And remember Stevenson was new here last year as a starter.
Along with which ever of Thomas and Haywood that aren't starting and Daniels it appears the Jordan will be able to go 12 deep to find players for his rotation. And the last three roster spots will be filled with players that can make a contribution. Look at last summer's roster, past the 7th or 8th guy the Wizard's were peicing things together.
The core is all back and a group of young talent that's reportedly been working out all summer is coming on to help. I don't know another thing that Grunfeld could have done to improve team chemistry this summer.He was willing to sacrafice the chance to add a talented scorer in Navarro in order to keep Stevenson, a move that seems to be all about maintaining the core and building chemistry instead of changing things up.
Nothing little about any of that except the small minded view of this team and it's best player on the part of some.

Posted by: GM | August 29, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

GM, I am glad to hear AB is working hard even if it is mainly inspired by his little problem this summer. Maybe he will soon get that he should work almost year round and maximize his significant potential.

I agree with you about Jamison. After what we saw on and off the court this year, he is more important to the currently constructed Wizards than I realized. He is a leader and still apparently an offensive force whether Gil and Caron are on the court or not.

Posted by: Tim | August 29, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

It was not too long ago that the Bullets/Wizards used to blow up the team every other year. I remember there were quite a few nights when they would lose simply because they had not played together as much as the other team.

Now the Wizards are often the team that will win because they now better how to play with each other. And you're right, GM, it should be better with Stevenson retruning in the SG position this year.

Posted by: Tim | August 29, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

George, I gotta agree that this isn't the class of international basketball. But I still think this team is playing better than any team since the Dream Team -- and international basketball was decidedly less competitive in those days, too.

As for Coach K, yes he lost that game to Greece, but my comment still stands: Coach K might be the best international hoops coach Team USA ever had. It certainly wasn't Larry Brown. The only other coach with comparable international hoops savvy, in my view, was Bob Knight and the 1984 team.

Posted by: Prazak | August 29, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

All I have to say is I'm a Washingtonian, raised/born.... and I think Gilbert is the best thing for Washington, DC....Go Agent Zero, we Washingtonians love you!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Prazak, I think you have to reserve a judgement like that for something like the World Championships or the Olympics. But yes this team is playing well.
I wonder why, given his experience with int'l basketball, someone like D'Antoni isn't coaching the U.S. team.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 29, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad Opech and AB weren't sent to Pete Newell's big man camp, and for that matter, both Etan and BTH.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 29, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Coach K has shown consistantly that given elite talent he can mold it into a top notch team. And he's turned Duke into the kind of school that always gets the elite talent.
Ask the poor Duke football Coach or any of their other sport's coaches who uses all of the academic exceptions for their sport. Coach K is a proven winner and if you can find a Duke game that Dukie Vitale isn't fawning over him like a school girl I can watch him without wanting to hurl.
But as a Maryland fan since Lefty lifted us out of the cellar it really tests me trying to cheer on a Coach K team. Doesn't help that Labron and Kobe are there with him.
I can respect them and acknowledge their talent, but as a Wizards/Terps fan I can't help it. It's just plain hard to get worked up and root for some of these guys. Kind of hard to jump up and down and holler USA, USA, when these guys are thumping the likes of Mexico.

Posted by: GM | August 29, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Pecherov and McGuire went to the Las Vegas Big Man Camp and Etan attended another big man that was reported on this site and was praised by "The Cheif" for his work.
Not sure what Haywood's been doing besides flying coach, but even that indicates that he's been coming to town to get some work in.
Anything else you can think off to complain about? Maybe you should take Ivan's lead and vacate for awhile, might come back refreshed and even come up with a new line of critisism. Could even read a couple of books, kick back and relax and take yourself a little less seriously. Your typed laugh is looking a little strianed lately.
Give the crusade a month off, the Redskins open their season soon and maybe they'll give you fresh meat. If they win more than they lose you can still come back here and bust on the Wizards in plenty of time for the season.

Posted by: GM | August 29, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lee,
Excellent article. Always insightful, and enlightening. At the FAMUAN you were a diamond in the ruff, and now you have finally gotten your chance to shine. Keep it up. Looking forward to your television show.

Posted by: JD | August 29, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody fart?

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 29, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Sarcasm from GM!

I tried to show DCMan a little understanding, then tried to reason with him in the hope he might respond like a grownup. It's no use, GM. If a boy wants to fart in public there's not much to do but try to ignore his stench.

Posted by: Prazak | August 29, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | August 29, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wizards have the greatest shooting coach in the world!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Billy | August 29, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

"These little workouts and being a "gym rat" is great for individual development, but one of Les BouleS problem last season was lack of chemistry and part of the reason for that was an unstable rotation. If chemistry is not improved, then players will resort back to the "workout" and "gym rat" mentality and that means more one on one ball."
Posted by: DC woMan88 | August 29, 2007 11:04 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"Sarcasm from GM!

Posted by: Prazak | August 29, 2007 10:01 PM "

Prazak, save your poor attempt at altruism. It's neither wanted, nor requested.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

"GM, please do not send HIM to the Skins blog - HORRORS! At least they will eat him alive though.

Posted by: Lisa | August 29, 2007 10:46 PM "

Puhleaze, as if I give a sh!t about the Redskins blog. You're wasting your time trying to be secretive.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

"Actually, you're a fine one to complain about other people's problems with chemistry. That's your problem: chemistry, except with you DC woMan88 / Clewiston88/ ClueLessOne, it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. That, along with your anger towards Gil for rejecting your advances.

Posted by: | August 29, 2007 11:45 PM "

Yeah, you're the one to talk about a chemical imbalance. I think you need some chemicals so that you can get off your idiot association between me and other bloggers on other websites. Pure stupidity.

If I'm bold enough to say the things I say, then I'm bold enough to stick to one name on any blog. Piece of stinkin' garbage...that be you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

DCMan, Altruism doesn't need to be wanted or requested. That's what makes it altruism. And that's not what I was trying. I didn't think you were such a bad guy and felt you often got a bad rap on this board. I was wrong. It turns out you are childish and mean-spirited after all.

Posted by: Prazak | August 30, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

So what if I'm considered childish and mean spirited by you? Do you think I really care?

I think you wasted too much time with your psycho analysis. People on this board can't seem to be able to stick to talking about basketball and basketball players, which is the purpose of this blog. I think you need to focus your energies on that. A piece of free advice from me.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

LOL!!!LOL!!! OMG!!! You guys are HILLARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess there's nothing else to talk about so things degenerate to this with everybody being an in house "EXPERT"
"KNOW-IT-ALL" "ANALYST." Fat chance.

We won't know if any of these teams are woth a "breath in a windstorm until "NEXT SPRING" Wiz starts out like gangbusters then fumble & bumble around towards the end of the year. Last yr was the worse let down and primarily because as the blogger "GM" stated: LACK OF TALENT AT THE END OF THE BENCH!!!!"

If the Wiz don't invest in some focused talented back-up(bench) players which might I add along the calibre of the guy "Scola" in Mike's article. Apparently, he's giving LB & USA fits. Thats the kind of guy you want coming off your bench. Hungry, desperate, determined...
The opposing side "dreads" that guy's presence on the floor. Who knows what we got til next spring. DCmann88 has not, will not and isn't thinking of changing - so get the message & move on with your discussions if they have a point.

PS
Who in their right mind is hoping Charles Oakley comes to the Wiz??? An old broken down cow!!! Get championship minded...
get "Stallions!!! not the old grey mare!!

Posted by: Jazz | August 30, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Jazz, is that why you are now an "expert"?

That is part of what this blog is about: to speculate and try to figure out what the Wizards are or will be.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Prazak | August 30, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

WOW.....I like all this talk we talking sports here and how bout redd and the king teaming up will be nice but i heard cleveland its thinking not to sign big deals with verajao and sasha and gonna try to go out and get gilbert next year to go along with james and that will really go hard on wizard fans but the east needs to go back to their glory days and in washington its not gonna happen....Watch my words the nba gonna and needs to build aroung lebron to make a sky roking marketing team and ratings back like it use to on the Michal Jordan times it will be fun to watch a James Gilbert duo o my God

Posted by: 1SPORTSFAN | August 30, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that will go hard on wizards fan hahahahahaha gilbert in cleveland..........

Posted by: 1SPORTSFAN | August 30, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Gilbert ends up in Cleveland mark my words............

Posted by: 1sportsfan | August 30, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah That lebron and gilbert will make the east stump on any team out in the West........

Posted by: Witness | August 30, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that deal will bring exitment to the nba the nba needs a deal like this to happend...It will make the nba better....

Posted by: The#1GM | August 30, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

That gilbert and lebron can play together in Cleveland.................

Posted by: IGOTADREAM | August 30, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

WOW lebron and gilbert i love the way that sounds i think its perfect cause they both got different styles of skills that will make any 1 defence team frezze in the perimeter and in the low post o my GOD

Posted by: GOCAVS | August 30, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the NBA and the east needs this deal to go down Gilbert and the number one exiting player right now king james will kill the east and the WESt in line to get kill just like any team in the EAST,,......

Posted by: THEGAME | August 30, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Gilbert and lebron the Quimistry there its huge it will be the best Duo by far in the nba right now with gooden in the PF it will be way better than the boston 3 by far

Posted by: COACH | August 30, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah cleveland in the verge of pulling a huge deal and they have to do it they by the way lebron want a ring or u can say a few to go along in his hall of fame book when its all close and done......Yeah lets make the deal happend nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posted by: OMG | August 30, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think you care, DCMan. And I don't care that you don't care. And I don't consider any effort at understanding a waste of time, even with a 19-year-old who likes to shoot his mouth off.

Posted by: Prazak | August 30, 2007 04:33 PM "

If you didn't care that I don't care, why bother initiating this with me? I guess it's easy to relate to a 19 year old like me when you're a 19 year old yourself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I did care, DCboy. I don't anymore.

Posted by: Prazak | August 30, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations girl.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 30, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Cleveland fans can "What If" all they want. They had the opportunity to draft the college player of the year and a true point guard in Jameer Nelson. Instead they drafted Luke Jackson (who?) Now as a result of some other dumb moves, they don't have anything to deal with. Until they get a guard, nothing else is going to make any difference. LeBron will get his points, and they will continue to come up short when they need that bucket to win or go home.

Posted by: Hllywd | September 3, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

jkqpbgryc azbnfgvrk jmrd eymr btiz vzgetxuqh fdscoyl

Posted by: pguotba aufvgxd | September 19, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

jkqpbgryc azbnfgvrk jmrd eymr btiz vzgetxuqh fdscoyl

Posted by: pguotba aufvgxd | September 19, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

ncpqovie qczet jeaigymr cseym gmsdyoi ygpt meawosvuq http://www.bznykpqh.evnzski.com

Posted by: zjxsgfcn kcdpiznv | September 19, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

http://allinfo.iifree.net >consolidation corporation loan student Balance of trade - The

Posted by: PEPPER | November 20, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

http://allinfo.iifree.net >cash advance resource Nasty, brutish and short

Posted by: WINSTON | November 20, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

szgmbiqa gsmxvwo fdkcsp onzhwiaqj rmdftn mjcl zmvuxi

Posted by: wnueibqsc nlutajgq | January 16, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

jvxqk cfrmyq obzipjnv ackw paebu xetzpamkb wvmoc http://www.xiqnw.qfzlevjp.com

Posted by: qvltp kfezui | January 16, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse