PS schedule out, Navarro deal close to done

The news of the day isn't thrilling but here it is: the Wiz released their eight-game preseason schedule. It includes two home games: Oct. 13 against Dallas at the Patriot Center and Oct. 19. against a Lithuanian team (Zulgiris Kaunas) at Verizon Center. The schedule opens Oct. 9 at Cleveland and includes games at Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit and Toronto. The team hasn't set a training camp plan but I would assume that we'll all be back in Richmond at VCU starting on Oct. 2 or so.

The good thing about this schedule is that we're staying in the east unlike two years ago when we (I say: "we" only because I go where the team goes - commercial no less) had a long west coast trip and that didn't do anyone any good heading into a long season. This preseason is going to be more important than most for most for several reasons starting with the fact that Gilbert Arenas is bouncing back from knee surgery while guys like Caron Butler and Darius Songaila will be bouncing back from their own injury-bothered seasons.

Also, the team has two rookies who will have a legitimate chance to earn playing time in Nick Young and Dominic McGuire and barring a trade in the next few weeks, we'll all be following the latest competition at center between Brendan Haywood and Etan Thomas. How would Eddie Jordan react to Haywood being here again this fall? I have no idea but it would be crazy interesting. Following the playoffs I was convinced that there was no way Brendan could be back on this team with Eddie as coach and there are a lot of folks in that building who felt the same way.

Now, I know some folks are dying for a meaningful update on the Juan Carlos Navarro situation and believe me, you are not alone. I just spoke with one of Navarro's reps (Alex Saratsis) and he said something could be officially done as soon as Wednesday (I know, I've written that before. Sorry about that but I can only write what I hear.)

The problem, according to the rep, is that getting the mountain of needed paperwork done between Memphis and FC Barcelona has taken forever, plus, I hear that Euro teams can be notoriously slow when it comes to this kind of thing. I guess lawyers from both teams as well as Navarro's reps and the NBA have had to go over everything and make sure it's clean.

To this point, I still can't realistically guess about Washington's compensation and believe me, I've tried to dig that info up from everywhere. As for the Andray Blatche situation, it's impossible for me to know what exactly Ernie is thinking because he's not talking. My best educated guess is that Ernie is going to sit back and chill for awhile but both sides will come together and get something done. I know this: any leverage Andray and his agent enjoyed is now gone. Teams weren't lining up to sign the kid before the arrest went down and now every other team is just about out of money. In the end, the whole situation may have worked to Ernie's advantage.

By Ivan Carter  |  August 14, 2007; 5:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McGuire signing official
Next: Now it gets interesting

Comments

Gilbert and Caron get injured during the preseason, I called it.

:P

Posted by: Will from Rockville | August 14, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Ivan. I really do wish we had something definitive about the Navarro deal, but I guess I appreciate not knowing it's as bad as we've heard (assuming it really is) for at least another day. :)

Now, if its actually a normal first round deal, that would be terrific!

Posted by: sfam | August 14, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, I agree. AB has lost all his leverage, what little he had to begin with is gone. Now EG has the upper hand and I have a feeling he will milk it. Perhaps a financial blessing in disguise for the Wiz cap situation?
Yall need to stop pressing about the JCN deal. Ivan will eventually give us the scoop. So no need to sweat and guess about it!!!

Posted by: low | August 14, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

About andray that isn't true no one is stalling I hear ernie have been out of town that's d-mac contract is just know getting done I am the real insider listen to me

Posted by: ad | August 14, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

The scoop is ab will sign soon rememebr me ab I am the real insider

Posted by: ad | August 14, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Why did Ernie trade Navarro for a stupid draft pick when we could've had James Posey?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I hope training camp is at VCU. Not sure, but I think they had a couple of open practices last year.

If they do the same thing this year, I'd like to go down and watch.

Posted by: Rook | August 14, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The thing about AB is he definitely has some skills (as we all know). As John "Hot Plate" Williams and Kwame Brown before him, it is quite possible he will never realize his potential. That is not to say we shouldn't try to sign him to perhaps a cheaper contract than first offered.

If he would just follow the example of the stars on the club and work to maximize his skills, the Wiz could go far in the playoffs next year. It is possible they will anyway.

Remember Lebron saying what a tough matchup AB was in the playoffs last year. If he only realized what he is squndering right now.

Posted by: Tim | August 14, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

why the patriot center? will I have to pay extra, of is that covered in my season tickets?

anybody know what the least amount EG could offer AB is...is there a league minimum based his # of years in the league?

Posted by: oddjob | August 14, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I really don't see what point EG will make by sitting around on the AB contract. Even before AB got arrested, EG was going to lowball him anyway compared to the Amir Johnson contract.

He should just pay the man, get the guy into gym with OPech, and move on with life. If AB had the contract signed up long ago, he wouldn't even have driven up to Thomas circle looking for hook#rs. Instead, he'd be like any other NBA player out there and have free loose bo*ty from groupies and/or a professional madam hook him up safely and discreetly.

EG should put an end to this BS. In the end, we don't give a crap about how many whor#s AB picks up, as long as he gets some boards and gets some J's in, and contributes to Les BouleS success, who the f' cares?

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 14, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I was not only speaking about his little, recent peccadillo, but also to his seeming (lack of) work effort and commitment.

Posted by: Tim | August 14, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

"As for the Andray Blatche situation, it's impossible for me to know what exactly Ernie is thinking because he's not talking."

Thanks a bunch for trying to find any info on Blatche Ivan. :)

"How would Eddie Jordan react to Haywood being here again this fall?"

I think we should expect the same thing as last year UNLESS EG put a bug in Jordan's ear. Especially after that playoff loss.

Etan will start, get hurt, and Brendan will be productive. I'm sure it will all play out according to how well the Wiz are doing in the win column.

Now I wouldn't be surprised to see Pech or someone moved to the 5 spot sometimes because we all know how Jordan loves that smallball. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 14, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Oddjob - Minimum salary for a 3rd year player is $798,328.

I assume Blatche is a 3rd year player? Anyone know?

Posted by: Rook | August 14, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Ray - I think Pech would make a pretty good center in the Princeton offense.

Of course, I've only seen him in Summer League play; but he displayed a pretty good shot, and decent court awareness. Not sure he could defend bigger,stronger players down low (Shaq, etc..), but he sure seems to have better footwork on the defensive end than either Haywood or Thomas.

He got shoved around a bit, especially around the boards going for rebounds; so he needs to work on his strength.

Perhaps not this year, but I'll bet by next year he could spend significant minutes at the 5.

Posted by: Rook | August 14, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Ray -

By the way, not sure how you mean "smallball" - Pecherov is 7-ft, 240.

I remember last year Jordan used Songaila (6'9"), Ruffin (6'8"), AND Jamison (6'9') at center at one time or another.

With Ruffin gone, and the addition of Pech, I'm hoping we've seen the last of smallball.

Posted by: Rook | August 14, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Usually when these guys start in the NBA they are too small (need to bulk up). What does management do to make sure they bulk up? These guys make so much money and they get most of the Summer and Fall off on vacation.

Seems like they should be living in the gym during the offseason bulking up. Seems like EJ and EG should demand it from them. Do they get them trainers and schedule long workout sessions for them in the offseason or how does that work?

Posted by: DCW | August 14, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Because Posey would put us into luxury tax, and he stinks. I'll take the pick any day of the week.

Posted by: akmed0 | August 14, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

If I were EJ I'd be a freakin slave driver. I'd have those guys swallowing a glass of egg yolks each morning, running 10 miles, spending 3 hours working out, and at least 3 hours playing basketball - EACH DAY.

By the time the season starts they'd be running circles around and beating the crap out of everyone who covers them. For what they're making I'd settle for nothing but the best out of them.

Posted by: DCW | August 14, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88, I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

nice homer simpson reference!

Posted by: greg | August 15, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

JCN was drafted by Wiz 2002. None of this is mysterious. Its just how they planned for this to go down. Been reading more on NBA International..I am sure of it.

2nd) Ernie G. is waiting for AB's Status on Aug 31. He's been drug testing regularly - so far - weekly.

His attorney(hopefully if smart)will have AB First apologize to the court for behaving immaturely.

Then have him show his "plans to maintain a more healthy lifestyle. Tell the court that the "incident" was a "foolish - one time thing" No other concrete criminal charges. Just a bit of youthful exhuberance on his clients part.
Explain how the entire incident jolted him to gaining a better perspective of his time and current professional status.
Seek courts mercy pertaining to failure to appear ...

after that he's probably good to go.

Wiz did not assist him with an attorney.

Brendan was kept here by Ernie G.

We must remember - Gil & Haywood are the 2 Wizards that primarily communicate with Ernie G.

My guess is - it will be an interesting season.

Posted by: robin | August 15, 2007 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Out of 1,000 media outlets who reported the JCN trade, I think only this blog said it might be a second round pick.

Amazing how one little mention on a blog can cause everyone to think we're getting shafted in the JCN trade.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | August 15, 2007 6:34 AM | Report abuse

It's August and the real shrinks are on vacation, so here are my amateur psych 101 thoughts on the Wizards center conflict.

I have been told that Brendan in private is a pretty quiet and thoughtful guy, but that sometimes this can come across negatively as sullen or downcast.

This is quite a contrast to the image of an aggressive man who gets into serious confrontations with his teammate and rival for playing time.

Remembering the physical changes Brendan went through at the end of his four years at Carolina (he was very soft physically and then suddenly shed weight, added some muscle and became a much more assertive player), I am guessing that he is essentially a passive-aggressive personality.

When you pit a personality like that against a man like Etan Thomas... who is a very outspoken and public person, a classic active-aggressive... you have a recipe for conflict.

As a coach, assuming I have to continue living with both of these men on my team, I think it really would be best (1) if Haywood started (2) if his teammates got him some quick early touches inside, and screened for him to get a few early defensive boards. Once he knows he is in the game and adding value to the team's effort, he will produce (and at his best he can and does produce good numbers).

Thomas's personality is better suited to coming off the bench, when energy is needed. He, D-Song and OP/AB will I think be an interesting frontline when they are in the game at the same time. If Young and AD blend well in the backcourt, this would all add up to the first true "second unit" that the Wiz have had in... like forever....

Posted by: khrabb | August 15, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

"Smallball" didn't work in New Jersey and won't work here.... Yes, Jersey made it to the Finals, but that was a total joke - no Center - no championship!! Who has won the NBA Finals.... San Antonio...Miami... and what do they have that we don't? A legitimate center.. and oh yea...RINGS!

Posted by: Linda | August 15, 2007 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Khrabb, I agree with your analysis totally. I have always thought that Brendan's problem is he wants to contribute and feels he is not getting the touches he wants. And there have been times when he was playing like a man on fire and EJ pulled him out of the game! Go figure. Sometimes EJ's rotations are quite frustrating to watch as a fan so I can imagine how it must feel as a player to have to live through that. As for Etan, I don't think he minds coming off the bench and he can and does add a little fire when needed. Lastly, Brendan needs to respect the fact that EJ is coach, like it or not and give him the respect that is due and quit sitting on the sidelines sulking when he can't get his way. He needs to man up a bit and put his agressiion on the court. Come out every game on fire and when he gets mad at EJ, prove his point by displaying his talents on the floor.

Posted by: Lady Wiz | August 15, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Khrabb, I hope EJ reads your post!

Posted by: browneri | August 15, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Krabb keep the psych babel for a different site. We are talking basketball here. Real surprise a couple women agree with you. ALL WOMEN should be banned from posting on this site!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Khrabb & Lady Wiz. I agree 100% with those analysis. In past posts during the season I have tried to say just about the same thing and I remember the GM giving a very similar analysis. I too hope EJ reads that and puts it to use......

Etan does not have to start to do what he does. As I have said before, Etan is what he is. He will not get any better, because he is maxed out for what he is able to do.

Haywood on the other hand "still" has some more upside to his game if he is allowed to get some minutes to do so. He is not good at coming off of the bench, as Lady Wiz mentioned.

Therefore, it would make since to start him and if he is having a good game, "leave him in" vs. always yanking him to make a point...!!!! EJ please change your approach to this situation, because it is not going anywhere.

Posted by: Bullets Fever | August 15, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

etan better than haywood.........Also bullets fever this is how you spell sense

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Anon -

Eton is better than Haywood. -

THAT is how you properly capitalize a sentence!

Posted by: Rook | August 15, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah , Anon,

There are also these things called Verbs. Those are pretty important in sentences.

Posted by: Rook | August 15, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Sorry everyone,

I just hate anon posters.

Posted by: Rook | August 15, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Khrabb is correct. BTH needs to be involved early to get his mind into the game and he'll produce for us. He'll never be an all star but he's effective. EJ has a quick hook with BTH and needs to understand that this guy is our best option at the 5 and he'll have bad moments. Patience, grasshopper.

Posted by: mark | August 15, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Robin,
What's the deal with GA and EJ? You said Gil (like Haywood) only communicates with Ernie G? I knew Haywood did that, but didn't know Gil was the same.

If that's true that might not be the best of news considering Gil is to be a free agent next year.

Posted by: DCW | August 15, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Who is this AD blogger? It sounds like he may be on to something. I agree with DCman88. Dam those hookers! AB had better be in that gym busting his but and from what I hear he is doing that daily since the arrest. He will get more than Amir Johnson trust me. Ab will sign for at least 4 to 5 years. Ernie will not accept anything less. However I believe AB latest squirmishes with the law will allow ernie to low ball him in the total amount of the deal but AB has no body but himself to blame for that F@*% up. I hope that he has learned his lesson.
Once AB is signed they can ship him, Brenda an AD to Indiana for JO. It sounds like a winner for the bullets.

Posted by: The Godfather | August 15, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

How can the wiz pass up on Navarro? Last time I checked, they could use a spot up shooter since, as someone once said, there is no J in Jarvis.

Posted by: WizFan | August 15, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I hope this season turns out much better, because the East has gotten a little stronger, esp the Southeast Conference(except Miami because Wade is still hurting) It seems this off-season Ernie is acting strange. I wonder if he's on the side of Eddie Jordan or the players, because allowing Brendan to come back can't be any good, not to mention having both Brendan and Etan on the team again?!? As far as Andray goes, he reminds me a lot of Kwame, being lazy, excessive spending and partying. Granted he's a young kid and at that age I did a lot of dumb things to but I never had the money (or potential)he will be getting. I don't see his behavior improving. My suggestion is don't sign him for a yr allow him to go to NBDL and grow up there it will either make of break him. Finally on the rookies, I like Dominic he can become a star in Eddies system. maybe the next Eddie Jones, and the other kid Nick Young, he reminds me of Kerry Kittles with the attitude of Rasheed Wallace..lol... I'll have to keep my eye on him.

Posted by: Robert C. | August 15, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

To The Godfather....
I love that trade proposal right there. Is there any way you could forward that to EG.

Posted by: Gstove | August 15, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

rook this is sports blog. Im not trying to put together sentences or trying to capitalize every word that needs it. Im writing a quick comment not a novel. I'm not a writer im a sports fan. Quit being a douche bag and just take the comment for what it is.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Im sure the pacers are going to accept AB, AD and Brenda for JO. Thats a great deal godfather. They wouldn't take Bynum and kwame which is a better deal than what you are offering and you think they will take that. Maybe that deal with 1 or 2 1st rounders and they might think about it. JO is getting older and is overrated anyways.

Stop with the trades for a big name it isn't going to happen this offseason. If any big moves are going to be made it will be before the trade deadline or next summer.

The moves for this summer are pretty much over for the wiz. I would like to see them pick up Adonal Foyle instead of keeping Booth. Foyle isn't anything special but he is better than booth and more motivation for Etan and Brenda to play better.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

i think the team is gonna be good this year. we were good last year and have only improved. also, all out spoken people on this blog, keep being outspoken. that is what this blog is for. it is sad that little f@gs keep blabing about dumb sh1t. I am sure I will get it for not capitalizing the first word in my sentences. some f@ggot fuc will point it out like it matters

Posted by: roger lodge | August 15, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

the wizards should add Adonal Foyle instead of Booth.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

thank you roger lodge somebody is a sports fan instead of a wanna be writer like everyone else on this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Rodger Lodge - Just FYI.

Posted by anon "Also bullets fever this is how you spell sense"

I don't care a whit if you capitalize, leave out punctuation, misspell words, misuse words, etc.... As long as you get your point across.

What I do mind is some mindless anon poster that has nothing better to do than deride everyone else's posts, and adds nothing of interest.

My gripe was with Anon - who was pointing out someone else's spelling mistake, WHILE making gramatical mistakes in his own posting. Then calling me a douche bag, because I pointed out HIS mistakes.

You, at least, have the guts to post using a name.

I also like the outspoken people on the blog - keeps it interesting.

I especially like GM's posts (insightful), and Kalorama (controversial, but well thought out).

Posted by: Rook | August 15, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I like the JO trade proposal. It's time to mix things up a little more.

Posted by: dcbutler357 | August 15, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

No place for name calling here.

The earlier points about Brendan being passive aggressive and Etan being more Type A... I can see that OK, but I don't necessarily believe that in a professional environment you should capitulate to that behavior.

Frankly being passive aggressive isn't healthy. You don't say, "well, I'm passive aggressive. It's just who I am." Cheap shots in physical skirmishes, snide comments, undercutting others around him verbally. Coaching changes alone won't help Brendan, Brendan has to come to terms with some realities of life.

Two fold here: Where does Brendan fit in the scheme of the Wizards? Being the clear cut starter has always been there for him, but he hasn't made it to the point where anyone would say 'we don't need a better center'. He doesn't like that, so he pouts and gets mean. Where is the idea of competing and getting better? Making the decision a simple one for the coaches. He doesn't get early touches so he doesn't keep his head in the game? He gets pulled so he doesn't keep his focus? That is what you are saying and I think that it won't make this team better for them to capitulate to his behavior, because there will likely be something else too.

Last year Etan said he wanted to compete for a starting role on this team. I say sweet. Compete, see if you can improve your game do what you need to do. And EJ says yeah, take a shot at it... why not? Then Brendan takes it as a personal affront. Thing is, it isn't the NBA is a competitive environment. Every coach in the league wants his bench to feel like they could be a starter, but at the end of the day if they aren't starting they still have to be a professional.

You know at the end of the day the worse thing I think could have happened to Brendan, was being on a team with Kwame Brown. Hyper under achieving passive aggressive victim. That probably helped so many bad habits...

You know people say Phil Jackson is one of the best, and he takes this approach with Kwame where he says, you want to be coddled than you must be a *kitten*... meooow. It's funny, and it's telling too. You can only ask someone to do something so many times before you realize that it will never work, and you have to use other methods to try and motivate them. Maybe we need to wonder if this isn't the issue between BTH and EJ. Maybe EJ got tired of hearing himself talk and tried some other means of trying to motivate Brendan. Maybe that's why people think he 'hates' Brendan. Which I highly doubt.

Posted by: greg | August 15, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys on crack? Blatche, Haywood, and AD for JO. Great idea except Indiana is not smoking the same substances you are.
This trade works only if Blatche turns himself into an allstar in 2-3 yrs. I give that about a 2% chance of happening at this point.

DC Man - why care about AB looking for a $20 BJ? Well, stupid/immature choices are starting to be a pattern of his and these traits don't bode well for him reaching his potential and becoming a real basketball player. I'm sure you don't need a list of players who have gone down this path. He was already paid a few million for his potential. Now it's time for him to mature!!!

For those trying to solve the center dilemma with armchair psychology, I mostly agree with you. Except, what are you supposed to do when BH disappears for 3-5 game stretches even though he is starting and "involved" in the game. He should be a 12/8/2 guy every night, but he just doesn't have that sort of drive. And I disagree that Haywood has not maxed out his talent. He has. He just has not maxed out his effort except on those games played during a full moon.

Posted by: Rob P | August 15, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Rook. Yes sirrrr!!!! I noticed the same thing. Hopefully, I will be able to spell "SENSE" correctly in my next post, being that I should know better wanting to be a sports writer and all.

Posted by: Bullets Fever | August 15, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I like Foyle instead of Booth and, perhaps, even Blatche. Your getting a banging veteran who can rebound. He would provide some grit this team is sorely missing. I don't think Foyle will command too much in the market at this point either.

Sadly, I think Blatche may be just a flash pot, which is what I am sure EG is thinking too about now.

Posted by: Rob P | August 15, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

hello, does anybody pay any attition to what they say on here?
we can't trade AD,AB,BH for JO ever the contracts don't work. if you haven't checked to see if the trade will work don't post it,same with the knucklehead who wants james posey(he's not good enough for caps)please go design a floral pattern you'll have better luck than being in here

Posted by: jcrock | August 15, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

To the poster asking about whether EG was on Jordan's side, he isn't but it's not a matter of that. EG tried to move Etan and couldn't do it. It's just a shame that Pollin won't consider going over the lux tax, because if he would then the Wizards could use Jamison's expiring deal to go after someone like Kirilenko (who could put the Wizards over in the East) and resign Gil next year. I think that is what has hamstrung EG this year is Pollin's worry about the damn lux tax instead of trying to get a team that could be among the elite in the NBA instead of the good/solid.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 15, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Made fun of the spelling b/c that is what the douches on this site do. As for the name once again what are you going to do with my name? How does it possibly make a difference if i post a name. I could change it every time I post. If i wanted to i could post as one of you. The names dont mean anything

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Kirilenko is not putting anybody over in the east...lmao. Maybe if he somehow transformed himself into the player he was 2-3 years ago, but I don't see that happening either. Besides he gets hurt if you sneeze near him.

Posted by: Rob P | August 15, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Seems like every team has blown their wallets up by now. The wizards are actually in a good situation right now. With DS coming back, that puts us a good Six strong with DS, BH, ET, AB, AJ, and OP. I would probably sit and relax on the roster this year, see the young guys mature more. Resign Jamison to a cap friendly deal, max out Gil. Still try to trade one of the big contracts of ET or BH. would of loved to see JCN play here to just see what he had first. If he turns out to be what he is hyped to be, another bad move of the wiz. Grun has a good track record so we will see.

Posted by: D Wall | August 15, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

jcrock, playing armchair GM is stupid in general including using a trade machine. Most people have better things to do with their time than deal in that kind of fantasy. I almost never comment on such, but I did on this latest idea bc it's obviously dumb without a trade machine check and a couple people seconded the idea.

Posted by: Rob P | August 15, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Guys, let's stop criticizing people who post anonymously. It doesn't matter, and they probably do so because they would misspell their names.

Posted by: Sean | August 15, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

i love summertime, but it would be much better with NBA basketball! ne way BRUCE can we afford any free agents out there? how much money do we have under the cap? if signing free agents are not available lets trade songaila, etan, and Antonio! songaila is overpaid and always injured! etan is overpaid and undersized. and antonio is the oldest player on the team and gils contract is up this year so we need a young talented back in up in case he decides to bounce!

Posted by: BRIAN | August 15, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

JO trade would never happen - salary cap issues

Posted by: SXL | August 15, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

JCN to Atlanta for one of their many big men.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 15, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one petrified about entering another season so utterly lacking in post play that we waste another year of our stellar trio, perhaps for the last time if another failure to advance deep in the playoffs causes Agent Zero to fly away to greener pastures? Without an upgrade from Brendan and Etan all other moves seem like shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. People always pointed to Pippen and Jordan being able to win without a star in the middle, but (A) that was Jordan in his prime and (B) the Bulls had 7-footers like Purdue, Cartwright and Wennington who were all a step up from Brendan and Etan. Signing Foyle to a sane contract would give us a serious upgrade, that, combined with a odds-on likelihood that either Andre or Pech will step up, decent enough post play to stop preventing our mighty triumverate from winning. And I'd dangle a first round draft pick for a decent post player in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Spohr-Man | August 15, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The great thing about sports is that you can speculate forever amd opine all you want, but no one really can predict what will happen. It all depends on your outlook.

For example, the "glass half-empty" paradigm is:
1. We do not have an adequate starting center on this squad
2. GA is not a legit. point guard.
3. AJ is not a legit. PF.
4. Our bench is weak and young -- OP, AB, NY and DM will not be ready for significant minutes this year.
5. We cannot or will not play defense.
6. EJ and EG do not really see eye to eye.
7. Abe is unwilling to go over the lux. tax at all.
8. A max contract for GA will hamstring EG's flexibility for many years.
9. GA will bolt for the West Coast and AJ will bolt for Charlotte after this coming season.
10. We will be starting over with a new coach next season.

At the same time, the "glass half full" paradigm is:
1. We are one of the only teams in the NBA with such a strong "Big 3."
2. There are no dominating centers in the Eastern Conference, so our lack of same does not hurt us.
3. We have great team chemistry on and off the court (except for BH and ET).
4. We have a better bench than last year because AB will mature, OP will contribute this season, DS will be playing for a full year rather than a half year, DM will prove to be a second-round steal, NY will provide instant offense off the bench a la Juan Dixon, and AD has the best assist to TO ratio in the league.
5. AB will turn his arrest into positive motivation and have a chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone that he belongs in this league and belongs on the court.
6. GA will continue his annual offensive improvement.
7. Ayers will have a positive impact on our team's defense.
8. A summer off from palying ball will have a positive impact on AJ's health and productivity.
9. The Eastern Conference is still weak overall.
10. The Southeast Division is still weak, esp. with Shaq a year older and D Wade still hurting.

Posted by: Rockville | August 15, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

It's being reported the Univ. Arizona is going to have a new school vs. old school game (Lute Olson Classic), so hopefully Gilby won't blow his knee out trying to show off and prove any points/grudges he may have.

---------------------------------------------

Former UA standouts Gilbert Arenas, Salim Stoudamire, Hassan Adams and Joseph Blair have confirmed intentions to play in Sunday's game. Arizona has been considering pitting 1997 players against those from other years, although rosters have not been released. Only Michael Dickerson and Jason Lee from the 1997 team will definitely not be on hand, although guard Mike Bibby is still uncertain about playing or attending. Ryan Hansen, UA's assistant director of development, and a key organizer of the weekend, said Bibby may attend but not play in the game because of injury concerns. "He's very much a team guy," Hansen said. Phoenix Suns GM Steve Kerr also is scheduled to attend but may not play, organizers said. Arizona Daily Star

-------------------------------------------

Check out this Gilby rant:

Arenas rants
In his whimsical NBA.com blog, Arenas jokingly questioned last month his decision to attend the event.
"I heard that Mike Bibby is hosting a 1997 championship reunion at Arizona and I'm supposedly going to be there," Arenas wrote. "Why am I going to be there? I didn't win a championship. We lost to DUKE! The man I lost to in the (2001) championship (Mike Krzyzewski) is the man who cut me from Team USA. He cut me like Arizona beat Duke and he wanted payback. I think that's the hardest part. I was thinking because they won that he was going to help me on the team, you know, maybe he'd feel sorry for me."

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 15, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

to tell you the truth. I kind of like brenden haywood on this team. I think his defense is decent. I mean, sure, it would be great to have an all-star center. it would be great to have 12 all-stars on the team. but thats not practical. haywood has his weaknesses. However, IN MY OPINION, he would be more effective if eddie jordan gave him more of a chance.(which would lead to more confidence) I think he could be a good role player, blocking shots and pulling rebounds. we don't need a scorer, we have plenty. we just need a defensive minded center. I believe haywood is big enough to anchor our defense. He just needs a coach who can teach him not to be so soft. I write about haywood, because the rest of the team is solid as hell. we just need to play our big center.

Posted by: Roger Lodge | August 15, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's in the best interest of the Wizards to move Etan or Brandon, hopefully the latter, for the sake of team chemistry. We're paying awfully too much for two underachieving big men.

As for the JCN situation, if we get a first-round pick, that's great news! Only if we could swap a second-round for a first-round everytime..

AND WILL FROM ROCKVILLE: WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?

Posted by: Jason from FFX | August 15, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

AND WILL FROM ROCKVILLE: WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?

Posted by: Jason from FFX | August 15, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

this may make some people scratch their heads...... the wizards don't need a big man who can score, we only need a big man that can block shots, rebound, throw down a dunk, and defend the paint! offense is not needed. WHY? the wizards run up and down the court they never slow down unless their using isolation "one on one" GIL" ne way who uses the fast pace offense phoenix. is their big man a beast in the posts or is he just an athletic guy who can catch alleys and put back rebounds. he catches alleys he no tim duncan. AMARE that is. amare is a power foward playing center. the spurs are a slow pace team they need post play. ne way why do think haywood only gets around 5 shots a game? ne way big men on this team are only good for defense. by playing in the post it will change the offense. gil is a runner and a gunner. deshawn is a slasher. caron is iso. antwan plays posts and is a running foward because he actually played small foward or shooting foward in GS! etan fits in well if starting . but the second group is a slow pace offense. AD is a slasher, but nick is iso, dominic is a spot up, songaila post and spot, blatche is catch and shoot. so maybe a center will help but will it hurt us at the same time? u only bring in players who can fit the system! wilcox can help, foyle will bring defense. just remember on offense we are running, on defense we are walking around playing defense to other teams offense! on O' foyle is nothing for us but on D' he will be a star for us!

Posted by: BRIAN | August 15, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Foyle sucks, Brian. I agree that there are not enough shots on this team for a scoring center and we need a guy who dunks, rebounds and blocks shots. Tyson Chandler would put us in the upper realm of this league if he could stay healthy. He's a young Marcus Camby. And just think, it all came down to that workout in 2001 where Kwame outplayed Tyson before the draft. Tyson sure picked a bad day to screw up.

Posted by: mark | August 16, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

hey Rob p your right it is dumb yet ever so fun!It's what makes being a fan interesting.However things r never as simple as they seem.EG is a great gm and has shone so in the past I think he has a master plan and is sticking to it.I along with many other bullet/wizard fans r tired of not being a great team,with the exception of the last few I've been tired of losing since 1980. When it gets that bad evryone is and armchair gm

Posted by: jcrock | August 16, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Brian,

I agree with your overall premise about the Wizards' needs in the middle. I've been saying the same thing for a while now. But Mark is right, Foyle sucks. But then again, so do Brendan and Etan. (The other problem with Foyle is injuries.)

If Grunfeld gets rid of one of Haywood or Thomas, picking up Foyle as filler on a 1-year minimum deal would be a decent no-risk move. But he's not going to come here to be the third string big (4th if Booth sticks around). There are other teams that would actually give him some PT.

As for Wilcox or Chandler ... dare to dream big, I guess.

Posted by: kalorama | August 16, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I hear we signed Donell Taylor to a contract. Does that mean he takes up a roster spot that could have gone to someone with more skills to help the team?

Posted by: Derek | August 16, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

honestly i believe gruns" is happy with the roster, i doubt he will make any moves until february. he probably wants to see how all this works out! i like haywood and i like etan. but we can't keep both. come on eddie we need something new to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BRIAN | August 16, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The Donaghy forum has a good link for Etan and the Robert Parrish's Big Man Camp.: http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23039.shtml

We need to consolidate these forums so we can focus on the Wiz and what everone is doing to prepare.

Glad to see Etan laying a strong foundation for a productive season by studying with the best. It's inspirational to see him, Gil, and others working to improve their game and ability to help the team. Championship teams typically have a large percentage of members working hard and smart during the off season.

Even Brendon can get better if he wants it enough to work at it. They don't have to like each other, but they can earn each others respect. As Gil has proven, staying focused in the off season equals more production. I'm hoping our Bigs can produce a couple extra points and rebounds per person in the post position.

Posted by: Derek | August 16, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

It seems like just last week the experts around here were reporting that Etan was spending the summer sitting on his ass getting fat. Looks pretty fit in that photo, doesn't he?

Posted by: kalorama | August 16, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse