The deal with the Navarro deal (kind of)

(quick note: this is an update on a post I put up a little while ago. I have fresh info on McGuire)

I know it's killing folks to not know the specifics on the Navarro to Memphis trade yet and believe me, I'd love to come in here and lay it all out but I'm more concerned with being accurate than being first at this point.
Here's what I can tell you based on discussions I had with folks today:

-There is no case in which the Wiz would lose the pick altogether and no matter what happens, it is "very unlikely" that the pick would be anything worse than a late first rounder. In other words, I guess there is a chance it could wind up being a second rounder but that would not be likely.

-The pick will likely be in next year's draft but I can't tell you whether it's top-19 protected, lottery-protected or top-10 protected in that first year.

-To clarify the Mike Hall signing which took place last month: Mike signed the qualifying offer but does not have a guaranteed contract so he'll have to make the team during training camp.

- I reported last week that the team and Dominic McGuire had come to terms but McGuire won't actually sign the contract until early next week. As I reported, it's a three-year deal and the Wiz will hold a team option on the third year. McGuire' rookie cap number is around $450,000. My best feel for the team's salary cap situation is that Ernie has around $3.5 million left under the luxury tax (I have not been able to get a specific figure on what McGuire would get that first year). I know he'd like to bring Calvin Booth back and he's spoken with Roger Mason about returning as well.

-I've heard of no recent discussions about any deals that would trade Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood.

By Ivan Carter |  August 7, 2007; 6:58 PM ET
Previous: Navarro update | Next: Waiting on the word

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

first? I'm becoming a blog dweeb.

Posted by: reispace | August 7, 2007 7:16 PM

Can someone please explain to me why you guys are so happy over being first to post? It's sooo silly and juvenile....and no, I am not jealous.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2007 7:25 PM

11th!

Posted by: terpin it | August 7, 2007 7:26 PM

4th!

Posted by: Hugh Gerection | August 7, 2007 7:27 PM

How on earth could it possibly be a second rounder!!!???? Has there ever been a trade in the history of the NBA where a first round pick changed into a second round pick?

Ivan you have to be more careful when you throw stuff like this out there, like when you suggested Boston wouldn't be letting go of Al Jefferson in the Garnett deal. There might be a 2% chance of this stuff happening, but it's going to dominate discussion on the message board.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | August 7, 2007 7:31 PM

So can you at least confirm that the earlier reported deal for Navarro is *not* the final deal? That would reassure me somewhat. 'Cause that deal sucks monkey ... um.. armpits.

Posted by: Zonker | August 7, 2007 7:31 PM

I like Booth, I hope they bring him back.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 7, 2007 7:35 PM

This has become a bizarre offseason. I expected at least 1 of Thomas or Haywood traded (or both) because the issues of having both of them was VERY obvious.

I expected us to sign JCN or trade his rights - he's been traded... wait, no he hasn't... now he has, but we don't know what we're getting in return?

I expected us to re-sign Blatche, and as of yet we haven't cuz he got in trouble; and we signed Dom... but wait, now we haven't?!

What the hell is going on here?!

Posted by: Sam | August 7, 2007 7:35 PM

Yo, juandixonformvp, I never suggested that the C's wouldn't add Jefferson in a deal for Garnett.

Posted by: Ivan | August 7, 2007 7:41 PM

1) Well I believe the trade involving Navarro works out for the Wizards either way. 1) The Wiz don't need a swingman considering they have Antonio Daniels, Nick Young and Deshawn Stevenson and keeping him he'd get no playing time. 2) A Mid 1st rounder is way better than the 2nd rounder they used to draft him, so end the end its a plus.

2) Next, trade Haywood.

3) According to reports Blatche is innocent, give him a second chance.

4) Somehow, someway package a deal a get Jermaine O'Neal.

Posted by: E-Wells | August 7, 2007 7:59 PM

thanks for the updates. Ivan. I'm always checking the blog.

Posted by: ladelleacklesfan | August 7, 2007 8:00 PM

If Blatche is innocent it's because a) the prosecutor had pity on him and dropped the charges or b) they threw his case out on a technicality.

Given his high profile it would be highly unlikely for a prosecutor interested in making a name for himself to just throw the case out, unless the case is so bad he'd be made a fool of.

If the conversation went down the way it did in the police report then Blatche is downright guilty but might get off...

Posted by: Zonker | August 7, 2007 8:04 PM

Posted by: anon | August 7, 2007 07:25 PM

I'm 46, and I completely agree. I just couldn't resist.

Posted by: reispace | August 7, 2007 8:07 PM

ivan, ivenever posted before, but always read your blogs. This is what ive been wanting to hear. even tho its very little and not good news. Please try to find more info on haywood or etan.
thanks

Posted by: evanC | August 7, 2007 8:09 PM

Booth is key; we must sign him...he doesn't pull hair or ride the peace train.

Posted by: oddjob | August 7, 2007 8:41 PM

Posted by: Zonker | August 7, 2007 08:04 PM

Zonker,

If the conversation went down the way the police report says it looks pretty much like entrapment and as such Blatche is innocent. GRANTED he still comes off looking immature, stupid, foolish etc... but as far as actually breaking any laws dubious.

Posted by: Dante | August 7, 2007 8:58 PM

Ivan,

Not sure if you've been reading the comments lately, but it seems like some juvenile minds have decided to try to ruin one of the truly great NBA blogs on the internet.

Obviously, there are only a few posters that are unsigned (anonymous), or that include personal attacks and inappropriate comments, but those few can certainly detract from the enjoyment of this blog.

Some have suggested that things will return to "normal" once school starts again in the fall.... but I'm not so sure.

Is there nothing that the Post can do to require registration, and enforce the rules?

Posted by: Rook | August 7, 2007 9:01 PM

Question: To what extent could the NBA brass (commissioner et al) placed undue pressure on the Wizards & Grizzlies to hammer out a deal given the NBA's initiative to broaded its US product amongst international markets (ie: Europe). The chance for the NBA to have arguably Europe's best home-grown product still playing in Europe to join the Association could lead one to wonder what role (if any) the league may have played in influencing this deal & getting Navarro in an NBA uniform. Esp. given this appeared a one-time-only window of opportunity to get him. What do you think. Is this reaching or a possibility?

Posted by: WizzFan | August 7, 2007 9:09 PM

Ivan -

Any chance the Wiz will play AB at the 5? Seems to me with Caron, Jamision, Songalia, and OP there might not be a lot of minutes at the 4.

Posted by: hoopsonly | August 7, 2007 9:12 PM

Can everyone please leave the legal arguments for another blog..but one final comment..Entrapment would be if an undercover officer knocked on AB's door and said she was having A 2 for 1 sale in a van parked outside or if an undercover officer through a party and invited AB knowing that AB had such a history .. AB was in Thomas Circle talking to a woman on the street corner..he was not LURED there..that is not entrapment.. please back to basketball!!

Posted by: lawdog | August 7, 2007 9:24 PM

I could see OP at the 5 and AB at the 4 in some scenarios. Caron mostly at the 3 I think AB could get a lot of minutes from several positions if he really wants it.

Posted by: Tim | August 7, 2007 9:25 PM

Posted by: Wizzy | August 7, 2007 9:27 PM

Booth is more a true center and Etan does get injured for parts of every year. Plus Booth is a stable, veteran presence. I don't mind having him on the roster.

Posted by: Tim | August 7, 2007 9:31 PM

I think AB's perimeter game is overrated. He has decent handles for a guy who is not supposed to have handles (like a center), but if he is on the perimeter expected to have a'wing' game, he seems very limited. I think at the 5 he could be effective in creating some mismatches of the dribble and he has already proven to be a better weakside defender then both Haywood and Etan...going in to camp at the 3 and 4, I think he is behind Caron, Jamison, Darius, Pech and Dominic.. I don't see very many consistent minutes

Posted by: hoopsonly | August 7, 2007 9:36 PM

I agree with Tim.. Booth is very effective, I think he should be playing in front of Haywood and Etan ...better shooter, passer, and screen setter than both of those guys combined

Posted by: hoopsonly | August 7, 2007 9:38 PM

Top-19 Protected? Let's hope that's not the case. Ivan, what happens if we do not get the pick for this upcoming draft? What kind of protections would be placed on it for the 2009 draft?

Posted by: Emmet | August 7, 2007 9:41 PM

AB just needs to work on his game and take it seriously, particularly work on his outside shot. If he can add this to his ball handling skills and inside game, you could have a pretty darn good player. Remember he is only 20, going on 21, years old.

Posted by: Tim | August 7, 2007 9:42 PM

Well, considered that an article I read stated that Blatche was not soliciting it was his friend, Blatche was coming back from meeting his family or friends. He was innocent. It had nothing to do with pity, or false statements

Posted by: E-Wells | August 7, 2007 9:53 PM

You are right hoopsonly, as it stands right now, AB will probably have a problem getting minutes.

Posted by: Tim | August 7, 2007 9:55 PM

"Why waste a roster spot on Booth when you have Blatche and Opech who need minutes.
Posted by: Wizzy "

5 more fouls to use on Shaq.
At 6'11", 250 lbs, he's a true center.
Veteran presence on and off the court.
Decent 12-15ft shot.
Good shot blocker.
Good attitude.
Career 75% FT shooter (good at the end of a game)
Cheap.

He obviously has downsides as well:
He's slow.
Not very athletic.
Has difficulty guarding quick, athletic, mobile guys (but who doesn't?).

On this team, he will only play 6-8 Minutes a game - and during that time, he won't hurt the team. I would rather they sign Booth than Ruffin.

Posted by: Rook | August 7, 2007 10:12 PM

Well, Andray does need to work on his Outside game. He has good post moves, a decent mid-range jumper, good defense, handles, defense and versatilty and rebounding. As far as minutes go, he may not have as much of a problem as one might think. Blatche has had multiple game expirence including starting and some playoff expirience, as well as flashes of the posibilites he has. He can play 3, 4 and possibly 5 if switching to a fast paced offence which gives him more chances to earn minutes. He will be behind Caron and Antawn but Pecherov and McGuire are rookies and unless or until either one of them prove they are more effective than Blatche, it will be Blatche's minutes to lose.

Posted by: E-Wells | August 7, 2007 10:17 PM

you guys need girlfriends

Posted by: pooper | August 7, 2007 10:30 PM

Posted by: Essex | August 7, 2007 10:38 PM

lol @ pooper

I mean AB might get off on a technicality, but let's not be stupid -- AB was cruisin' to buy tail, no doubt about it. Just 'cause he'll get off doesn't mean he's not really guilty... OJ Simpson was "innocent" too...

Posted by: Zonker | August 7, 2007 10:44 PM

The poet plays hard. Yes. He is also two inches shorter than Haywood and is not as much of a defensive presence. Haywood is a more productive player than Etan, who is a fine backup center.

Posted by: Zonker | August 7, 2007 10:50 PM

Any criminal lawyers blogging here? If so can you give us the definitive answer on entrapment? If not can the rest of you armchair lawyers move off the topic of what constitutes entrapment?

Posted by: Prazak | August 7, 2007 10:55 PM

I'm not a criminal lawyer, but Wikipedia has a pretty good description of entrapment:

"..defendant must demonstrate that the police induced an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime."

I'd say that Blatche needs a good lawyer.

Posted by: Rook | August 7, 2007 11:15 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

DC IS THE OFFICAL HOME OF BARRY BONDS'S RECORD BREAKING HOME RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: billy | August 8, 2007 12:04 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

DC IS THE OFFICAL HOME OF BARRY BONDS'S RECORD BREAKING HOME RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: billy | August 8, 2007 12:04 AM

My bad. I meant that DC's own Nationals are the offical team to give up Bonds' 756th career home run.

Congrats Mike Bascik!

Posted by: Billy | August 8, 2007 12:17 AM

Can the Wiz please stop making decisions to fatten pockets and start making decisions to win playoff games? Whether its starting seasons on the weekends to rake in the family-fan dough, signing former subpar Maryland/Gtown players to sell tickets, or loading the bench with cheap "talent". I understand this is a business, but when you've got a Big 3 like Gil, Caron, and Jamison and one goes down, there needs to be someone else there to step it up besides the 3's remainder. It definitely won't be Pesh, Hayes, Mason, McGuire, Stevenson, Young, Darius or Booth. And don't even get me started on the "bigs". Usually when you've got a Big 3, the Bush League center will excel. But not "I Should Have Been a Dukie" Haywood and "Let's Write Poetry" Thomas. Then there's AB...another Kwame nightmare. Blame it on their ages, but if you get capped in the DC Metro area, and its not in DC itself, then we've got a major problem on our hands. I'm glad they put the lock on drafting out of highschool because now Abe and Ernie can clean out the Terrapins' and Hoyas' bench for future Wizard role players. I will pay the luxury tax..please make some moves for PF/C talent!

Posted by: Iwillpayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 12:18 AM

Oh what a surprise. Bonds breaks the record in DC of all places. Go Washington sports!!! Now all we need is for Jason Campbell to break his throwing arm in the pointless pre-season games and its a triple whammy!...I understand that I'm being bitter, but its just year after year of disappointment speaking.

Posted by: Iwillpayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 12:28 AM

Bonds DID NOT break the record in DC - the game was played in SF. And it was expected he would break the record during their home stretch....no biggie.

Posted by: Lisa | August 8, 2007 12:31 AM

this is really sad day. not for DC but for sports in general. Bud Selig has to be real disappointed to hear about such a traversy that has occured tonight. I will keep you posted more on the Navarro deal and my feeling towards Bonds' 756th home run.

Posted by: real Ivan | August 8, 2007 1:42 AM

Did I also mention that my sources told me that Navarro not only wanted to play on the same team with Gasol but also wanted to play in the same bed with Gasol too. He also said that it was a fantasy come true.

Again I'll keep you update with more details.

Posted by: real Ivan | August 8, 2007 2:16 AM

I only hope the Wiz didn't get snookered into committing to the JCN trade, only to have the Grizz (with the league office's assistance?) lower the compensation offer. It sure sounds like it may not be as high a 1st rounder as we originally heard.

Posted by: Jamie | August 8, 2007 2:22 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm, Ivan. It sounds like JCN really wants to be a team "playa."

Posted by: Jamie | August 8, 2007 2:24 AM

Not funny.

Posted by: Zonker | August 8, 2007 7:39 AM

"you guys need girlfriends"

I agree with pooper

Posted by: tammy | August 8, 2007 8:15 AM

Great post essex. Etan is so much better than Brenda...don't care how much taller brenda is. Etan rebounds and plays more D then Brenda ever will

"Why does everyone hate on The Poet so much? Sure he is limited and overpaid, but he plays his ASS off when he is in there. I was at the Phone Booth for Game 3 against the Cavs and The Poet was a man on the glass, and he set screens like he meant it. While he will never average double figures in scoring, he adds a certain "junk-yard dog" mentality to a finesse team. Like it or not The Poet is integral to the Wizards' success. Now Brenda on the other hand..."

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 8:17 AM

what happened to blatche isn't entrapment. He was there with his boy soliciting sex. He wasn't going to wait while his boy was doing his thing. He wasn't going to sit in the car. It wasn't entrapment. before you go saying its entrapment how about you actually read about what entrapment actually means. Bunch of fake lawyers go get a girlfriend like pooper said

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 8:19 AM

I just heard we are close to sending Brendan and draft picks to the sonics for Wilcox. Working hard as soon as I find out more I will get back to you guys.

Posted by: ivan | August 8, 2007 8:21 AM

Interesting. We'll be eagerly waiting for details on that one. I wonder if the pick we'll be getting from Memphis would be involved?

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 8, 2007 8:36 AM

Wow, some people really do confuse activity with productivity. Just check the on/off numbers between Etan and Brendan and notice just who the most effective player for the Wizards is. Effective basketball isn't about flying elbows while going after uncontested rebounds.

Here's one site where you can go to get started in dissecting the numbers...

You can adore your "Junk Yard Dog" all you want, the Bullets in the 80's were chock full of them. But personally, I prefer seeing the Wizards actually win games.

Posted by: Mike | August 8, 2007 8:59 AM

Hold it, is this the real Ivan reporting? It's spelled "ivan." I doubt anything is happening in seattle at 5:21 am.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 8, 2007 9:05 AM

The deal is real and it could be done by the end of the day. I will get back to you shortly with more info about wilcox.

Posted by: The real Ivan | August 8, 2007 9:13 AM

why are y'all alway trying to send aj to some were eles we need aj, we will be a better team if we had a hard working c'5 but with this taem we can go a long way . so when you want to send some one away thank about the late 80' and 90' . E G and EJ had done a good job

Posted by: boom | August 8, 2007 9:15 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 9:24 AM

"I've been in a car riding around and talked to girls plenty of times. Asking a woman for sex isn't illegal. If the woman mentioned money first, it's entrapment. Period."

anon you are wrong go look up entrapment.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 9:26 AM

I'll tell you what I hated scoop just like all you guys but the blog is boring without him. He at least brings debate and nonstop posting.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 9:27 AM

If Grunfeld can bring Wilcox here, that would be monumental, assuming Wilcox keeps doing what he did last year. I guess AJ would move to the bench. I hope they don't try Wilcox at center.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 8, 2007 9:34 AM

Let me take that back. I seriously doubt if even the "real Ivan" is really Ivan.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 8, 2007 9:37 AM

wilcox would definitely play the 5 if we brought him here. Then we would keep the same 1-4. No way that rumor is true though.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 9:37 AM

Brendan is a better player than Wilcox.

Posted by: Zonker | August 8, 2007 9:39 AM

don't buy it. anyone can sign on as ivan, or the real ivan, or whatever. and even if true, i'd bet that haywood and etan give better defensive effort than wilcox, who is still trying to make a name for himself through offense.

Posted by: steve colter | August 8, 2007 9:46 AM

Don't fall for the fake trade BS. If its real they'll get a story up on it.

One way the pick goes from protected first to a second in the 08 draft is if Ernie negotiated that provision into the deal. he could have the choice to take Memphis' second rounder or two, should the pick be protected.

For example, they fall hard and end up with one of the worst 5 records. Ernie can then choose whether to wait on the pick or take their second which would be pick 33, 34 or 35ish. He chooses between immediate help, the 08 pick, or waiting for a better return.

Posted by: Stringer | August 8, 2007 9:50 AM

Awvee "don't tell me to get on the sidewalk" Storey got a gig in Milwaukee...

Posted by: G$ | August 8, 2007 9:51 AM

"Brendan is a better player than Wilcox"

Zonker should be banned from every watching basketball again. Thats all you need to say about that statement.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:12 AM

ever

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:13 AM

Brenda is one of the worst players in the league. Wilcox is a up and coming player. Zonkers has gone Zonkers if he thinks haywood is better. I don't even think Brenda is better then Etan

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:19 AM

Fellas, no more posting as Ivan. That's the cardinal sin in message boards. I appreciate when he really comments in response to us, and using his name to make stupid man-love jokes will only discourage him from really posting.

Posted by: Sam | August 8, 2007 10:21 AM

I don't get you MD/Wizards faithful. You cry like we gave away Kobe when we let DIXON go. Then when another MD player could possibly come along a much better NBA player then Juan you say you don't want him and BTH is better. This whole site is crazy. I bet ivan is embarrased by every single one of you.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:21 AM

sam is gay

Posted by: Ivan | August 8, 2007 10:23 AM

I wish scoop would come back today. He makes the blog interesting and gets everyone fired up.

Posted by: mark | August 8, 2007 10:25 AM

Care to sign in and say that, mr. bravepants?

Anyway Chris Wilcox makes $2 million more so it would be stupid to trade for someone whose statistical contribution is essentially the same (Chris contribution on offensive is about equal to Wood's contribution on defense, and their PER's aren't all that different (14.8 for Haywood vs. 15.8 for Wilcox). Furthermore we don't need another lousy defender on this team.

Posted by: Zonker | August 8, 2007 10:28 AM

I just read we were trading gilbert and draft picks for duncan

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:29 AM

Is a fake name really going to make a difference zonkers???

The comments you made about Brenda and Wilcox are Zonkers. Are you going to track me down if i gave you a name?

Mr Bravepants thats pretty nice rip

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:31 AM

Brenda doesnt contribute on Defense unless you call moving out of the way and getting dunked on contributing

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:33 AM

Paying $2 million extra per season for a 1 pt difference in PER, that's stupid. I'd rather be Zonkers than stupid.

Posted by: Zonker | August 8, 2007 10:33 AM

The Wizards really need to try hard to get Jermaine O'Neal. His presence would mean a strong chance to get to at least the conference finals.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 8, 2007 10:34 AM

Sign in so I can make fun of you, Mr. Bravepants. Do you know anything about basketball? How old are you?

Posted by: Zonker | August 8, 2007 10:34 AM

Mr. Bravepants thats pretty elementary. You guys are to caught up in numbers. you sound like John Hollinger with all that per garbage. John hollinger is probably the worst NBA analyst on ESPN. Watch the games don't go by numbers.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:36 AM

I would like to know how old you are calling someone MR. Bravepants. Sounds like you are about as old as my nephew b/c thats something she would say. I no more about basketball than you will ever know zonkers. I already saw ur knowledge Brenda better than Wilcox is one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life. watch the games dont hide behind numbers

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:40 AM

and if you want to go by numbers Brenda averages 6 and 6. Wilcox averages 13.5 and 7.7. Defense is a wash b/c neither of them play it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:45 AM

For those of you, like me, who are hoping that Donell Taylor returns this season, some good news:

"Former Kansas University point guard Aaron Miles will travel overseas to play basketball again this season.

Miles, who averaged 10.2 points and 3.7 assists for Pau, France, in the Euroleague last season, has signed a one-year deal with Cajasol Sevilla in Spain's top professional league."

Posted by: Sean | August 8, 2007 10:52 AM

oh man sean thats a life saver don't know what the wiz would do without Donnell Taylor. It dosn't matter which one is on the team neither player will barely ever see the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:57 AM

that no talent roger mason jr. better not be back..he is the worst shooting specialist i have ever seen. Great shooting %'s for being a shooting specialist.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:00 AM

everyone on the site start listening to the junkies on 106.7 from 6-10 monday-friday. Best show on radio hands down.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:03 AM

I won't get on the shooting specialist kick but I think Mason's percentages could have been higher with less erratic minutes. I don't see how having him around as a 12th man is a bad idea (besides Miles is off the table now anyway). He seems to fit in well with the guys.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:10 AM

we should trade haywood to portland for Joel Pryzbilla a center is a defensive minded one who can defend in the post and block shots averaged around 2 blocks in his carear

Posted by: domo | August 8, 2007 11:12 AM

Posted by: domo | August 8, 2007 11:12 AM

Posted by: domo | August 8, 2007 11:12 AM

hey boys i love me some d***k

Posted by: dick | August 8, 2007 11:17 AM

The imposter poster is back, guys. Ignoring him worked last time. Any subsequent posts today in my name are not mine so pls don't take offense if (when) you see idiocy in the name of mark. Also, this is the last post using 'real mark' because I'm sure he'll try that, too.

Posted by: real mark | August 8, 2007 11:18 AM

Domo, That's a trade I was looking for early this season. Prz will get no time because of Oden and his salary matches up well with Haywood or Etan for a trade. He's a big guy who blocks shots. I'd say it was worth a try. He seems more active than BTH.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:22 AM

Can we really obtain Mr. J O'Neal's services? If that is any possibility we need to make it happen we have a nice group of talented players, however, I still don't see that down low presence that all championship teams have. Maybe we could trade both etan and brendan and DMac or Nick Young. What do you all out there think? This is the year for the Wizards; we have to make that big push!

Posted by: fansince'86 | August 8, 2007 11:30 AM

The Bulls never had a big that scored a lot of points down low and the Pistons never really did, either. Laimbeer was a outside shooter and Sheed shoots 3's. We can win without an inside threat as long as we play a little D and stay healthy. The point of having a big is because he draws a dbl team and frees up open outside shooters. Well, we have three all star caliber players that could all demand a dbl team. We can work outside in instead of inside out. The outside threat should free up the bigs. Caron seems to get BTH a dunk whenever he drives. Larry Hughes did the same for BTH.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:40 AM

a trade for j. o'neal would definetly have to include jamison's expiring contract.

jamison + n young + 2 future draft picks for j. o'neal seems like market price considering what the C's paid for garnett.

problem is it would push us up against the luxury tax this year and probably over it next year after gil is resigned (and forget about using next year's MLE). i seriously doubt current ownership would sign off on such a deal. is a shame though

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 11:53 AM

I now this is difficult to comprehend. But Mark is a pretty popular name. im pretty sure more than one person in the DC area has the name MARK. My name is mark so i post under mark

Posted by: mark | August 8, 2007 12:03 PM

i'd give up jamison, young, and our 2008 pick plus the pick we get from the grizzlies in a heartbeat for oneal and i'm not a huge oneal fan. that would give us the inside/outside that everyone seems to want. plus we still have a bench with McGuire, Pech, Songaila, and Daniels

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:08 PM

I see zonkers ran away with his tail btw his legs. Can't believe you asked me how old i was when you were calling me Mr. Bravepants. Thats not very nice Mr. meanyface. WOW is all I can say

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:11 PM

Don't confuse O'Neal with Garnett. O'Neal will never be the player Garnett is or was.

I would have preferred Miles on our bench. he wasn't going to get guaranteed money here though. He's playing in a better professional league than he did last year. Maybe next year...

Posted by: Stringer | August 8, 2007 12:12 PM

We have to resign Booth, he is by far the best center on our team and he should be our starter over BH or Etan. We need to package a deal to get rid of those 2 and keep Calvin. He is way more valuable if Eddie would PLAY him ever.

Posted by: Josh | August 8, 2007 12:12 PM

Booth is to old and slow to play starter minutes every night. I hate brenda and etan as well but booth can't carry the load night in and night out.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:15 PM

After the other day when someone was hijacking names, it's probably better for everyone to post anon. That way it can't get too personal. It's not difficult to comprehend at all. I 'now' you can understand how someone could confuse you for the hijacker.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:15 PM

i think most wiz fans would do that deal and if it's true indiana wanted to send j o'neal to LA for odom & bynum, i think indiana would seriously consider a jamison/young/pick(s) offer from the wiz. i just don't think abe would ok it unless there's some way EG could move BTH or Etan for an expiring contract that we haven't heard about

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:18 PM

Joel Przybilla has been a pro for 7 years and this is what he did in 2006/07:
PPG 2.0 RPG 3.90 APG 0.3 BPG 1.6

Why don't we just trade Portland Calvin Booth for Prz and keep BH and ET. Booth and Prz put up about the same #s.

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 12:18 PM

you are making funny of me because of a typo that is pretty elementary. im sure all of you spell everything correct all the time. This is my 1st time on the site. Sorry don't "now" about the hijacker....Wow this will be my last visit here as well

Posted by: mark | August 8, 2007 12:19 PM

It would have made more sense to trade AJ, Navarro and a pick for JO'N. That would suck to have to now give up young, right after we give away Navarro for a low seeded 1st round pick.

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 12:23 PM

those deals aren't nearly as good as bynum and odom

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:24 PM

We slept on Zach Randolph, Garnett, Rashard Lewis, and even (ahem) Darko. I say keep Gil and Caron and everyone else can go for J O'Neal. Maybe even just sign PJ Brown; he's better than Poet and Brenda. Oh, nevermind Jahidi White is available and I hear Charles Oakley wants to come back. Shoot, we may even get our hands on Vin Baker. Those are more Wiz type moves. Sarcasm is like a second language to me....

Posted by: iwillpayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 12:27 PM

If this is true. Why can't we sent Etan?

I like Brendan's game a lot better than Etan. Etan kills me with that spin move of his..

Posted by: WHY? | August 8, 2007 12:29 PM

true - it isn't quite as good as odom and bynum but it is close. also the lakers supposedly refused that deal and wanted to include kwame instead of odom (i'm sure we can all imagine the pacers hesitance) so it would seem the market price for an o'neal trade is apparently lower than odom + bynum

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:32 PM

It seems everyone has a different opinion when it comes to etan and brenda. I prefer Etan

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:34 PM

Pryzbilla is an overpaid, injury-prone stiff (but, as far as i know, he doesn't punch out teammates). Wilcox is raw skill wise but is still better than Haywood in every way. But it doesn't matter because there's no good reason the Sonics would trade a good, young, athletic big for an older, slower, lesser one, no matter how many incentives the Wiz threw in (because looking at what they have to offer, they don't have much in the way of incentives).

Posted by: kalorama | August 8, 2007 12:34 PM

Pryzbilla is better than mcgloire and you all wanted him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:37 PM

Magloire and Pryzbilla both suck.

Posted by: kalorama | August 8, 2007 12:39 PM

yes they do both suck. 85-90% of the centers in the league suck

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:40 PM

I talk ish about the Wiz out of love. I'm just sick of changing up the bench every year with straight scrubs and expecting results. We just need a decent PF. The Big 3 takes attention away from the low post, so a decent PF and a C who doesn't have to share minutes would be ideal. By the way, if anyone thinks Booth can carry a team to the playoffs, then they are dreaming. Its like watching Frankenstein trying to ball.

Posted by: ipayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 12:44 PM

All I can say is that I'm done with Brenda. Yeah he's 7 ft, but he just doesn't try all of the time. Don't be seduced by his height and potential Wiz fans. Brenda sets half-ass screens, he doesn't rebound unless the ball bounces right to him, and is a passive defender. The only thing he does better than Etan is score. He is not talented enough to half-ass it and still have an impact. The problem is that Brenda thinks he is. Etan on the other hand, tries hard every minute he's out on the floor (because he knows that's the only way he'll get any burn), but his effort does not always mask his lack of talent. With that said, Etan doesn't "take anything off the table." He is only a liability when he is asked to score (see 2007 Playoffs, Games 1-4). All things being equal, if Brenda and Etan both give 100%, then Brenda is the superior player. Problem is, Brenda rarely gives 100%.

Posted by: Essex | August 8, 2007 12:45 PM

I would halft to say bill tell a long story walton is the worse analyst in the nba. worse analyst in sports would halft to be the grey haired guy larry from hbo boxing

Posted by: Tony | August 8, 2007 12:48 PM

Etan seems to play with more energy than Haywood, but I hate it when Etan has those easy dunks go bouncing off the rim. That might happen to your guard every blue moon, but that should NEVER happen to your starting center.

We've needed a double/double big guy for years and we still need a double/double big guy. When is someone going to get us a big guy who can nearly average double/double figures.

Come on EG!!! Make it happen!!! I'm not waiting another year!!! I'm outa here!!! DAMMIT!!!

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 12:50 PM

I'll second that Bill Walton is the worst NBA analyst out there. He tries to get all sentimental during the games and it just sounds contrived and dumb. And I disagree with about 85% of what he says and it seems the other analysts are rolling their eyes just the same.

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 12:54 PM

I love Bill walton...He is funny as hell and doesn't even try

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:59 PM

Lengthy artice on the Wiz 3 spot: http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22986.shtml

Sure to cause controversy around here.

Posted by: Prazak | August 8, 2007 12:59 PM

Walton is bad, but he grew on as a form of entertainment. He's not nearly as bad as the dudes from Comcast Sportsnet who cover Wiz games. And not nearly as bad as Isaiah Thomas a few years ago. I'm surprised he can dribble and run at the same time...If you lock Booth, Thomas, and Haywood in a room with no lights and only one is allowed to leave alive, who wins? Thats our starting center, then.

Posted by: ipayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 1:00 PM

i dont know what ur talking about but Bill Walton is the greatest there ever was and ever will be. Perhaps u dont remember the time he said Robert Horry was one of the top defenders of all time...brilliant! no one had ever said that before! And when that ball headed ugly annoying dude said that Horry probably wasnt even one of the top five defenders on the court at the time....Bill responded with the infallible argument of well "would you or would u not want him on ur team" response...awesome!

Posted by: BigCarter | August 8, 2007 1:01 PM

Buckhans and shenier are amazing.....DAGGER!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 1:02 PM

Blatche gets a B-?!? He can't even solicit sex properly.

Posted by: ipayluxurytaxes | August 8, 2007 1:03 PM

Walton is the greatest!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2007 1:03 PM

I'm with you Rook. If they bring ugly - non shooting specialist -Roger Mason Jr back I'll vomit too! Thats a friend of a friend EJ deal. He ain't improved in 6 + yrs??? Why are we wasting time? If he could perform - he and the rest of that sorry bench should have done it in the playoffs. He nor any of the rest of that sad bunch stepped up to help Jamison. Why do we have to waste time with 2nd rnd rejects an scrubs nobody wants?

What happened to Miles?

Posted by: Wiz Fan1 | August 8, 2007 1:13 PM

DAGGER!!

heh heh heh!!!

I think Chenier is really polite the way he lets his sidekick ride with that expression. It's so goofy it's become a freakin staple to their routine. DAGGER!!! :)

It's such a freakin stiff white boy expression you have to love it. Reminds me of that ole Sat Night Live skit "White Boy Rap".

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 1:23 PM

I gotta stand up for Phil and Buck. Those are my boys right there. Great energy, great enthusiasm for every game, great chemistry. Half of the national broadcast teams out there should have all that going for them.

I used to really REALLY hate Walton, but that was mostly due to his endless shilling for Shaq back when Shaq was still alive (all national commentators are guilty of this, but he was the worst). Now I've softened on him, but I wouldn't mistake him for a "good" color commentator. I just get a kick out of his weirdness and endless references to Dylan songs.

Posted by: Jake H. | August 8, 2007 1:25 PM

Yeah I always liked Phil and Buck. Their coverage is great and I think the "DAGGER!!" line is hilarious.

That's one of the few things I miss from being in DC, seeing those knuckleheads call the games. I used to get a little pissed at them during the Wes Unseld GM days when they'd always be the eternal optimists during the Mitch Richmond days. I just wanted to hear one of those guys say "these guys suck donkey ass!" and then launch a bunch of insults at Abe, but you can't blame them for not biting the hand that feeds.

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 1:32 PM

DAGGER!!!!

Posted by: Steve B. | August 8, 2007 1:33 PM

DAGGER!!!!

Posted by: Steve B. | August 8, 2007 1:33 PM

UNN,BEE,LEE,VAA,BULL!!!!! we're Debating Bill Walton.

Posted by: GM | August 8, 2007 1:34 PM

"Ivan called me up and told me a bunch of little haters had my name in their mouth around here. Don't make me freestyle and dig you punks a ditch.

DAGGER!!!!

P.S.: Watch for my debut hip-hop album, "Droppin Daggaz" from Les Boulez Records, due out October 31. Phil is my hype man. "

Heh heh heh!!! Gotta love it!!

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 1:37 PM

I don't like listening to Phil and Buck. They are "homers" and I can never get the truth told about what the team needs or is lacking during games. That "dagger" is really getting on my nervous, big time.

You can tell Phil "holds back" on his comments sometimes. They travel with the Wiz and are probably paid by them, so guess what you do the math. What I really liked were the two guys calling the summer league games for the Wiz. They were very informative and knowledgable.

Lastly, the best "pound for pound" color analyst is Hubie Brown, hands down. Man do you learn about the game when he is doing the game. The second guy would be Phil Collins and then Kenny Smith.......

Bill Walton is a JOKE. How could a guy "play the game" but sound like an idiot calling the game. Come Onnnnnnnnnn!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever | August 8, 2007 1:39 PM

I hear ya, GM, but at least it's more relevant than discussing the elements of entrapment as a legal defense to solicitation...

Posted by: Prazak | August 8, 2007 1:40 PM

Lately, I've been losing a couple of IQ points whenever I read the posts here.

Posted by: Sean | August 8, 2007 1:41 PM

It's hard to get a scoop around here. Maybe the Post should get a few more Discussion sessions with Steve Buckhands/Phil Chenier/Wizards Beat guys/EG/EJ/GA/etc.. so we can interrogate them for gossip.

EG must operate like Dick Cheney. We're going to have to bug his office to find out what he's up to.

Posted by: DCW | August 8, 2007 1:48 PM

The hoopsworld article was asinine as usual.

Highlights: posting up Caron more would open lanes for Gil to drive. Right since if the defenders were clogging the paint to stop Caron down low then Gil could--what-- crowd surf on top of them?

Plus he's got the footslow 6'11" Dray as a 6'9" [by his yardstick] small forward. Dray's role was reduced last year to the same role as the rest of the Bigs: fight for rebounds, defend, make your own offense off putbacks and boards.

And surprise surprise Dray started to do well (especially when playing in the frontcourt next to the other long jumpshooting Big: CBooth).

Dray doesn't shoot quite as well as he imagines he does. Yet. But he can hit an open jumper, pass well, handle nice for a Big.

As a SF he's a liability, has no post-moves yet to actually use his size advantage and he's too slow to keep up with the athletic wings and swingmen.

But as a center he can be a positive mismatch. His ability to hit a J if wide open means the opponent has to leave the paint (AND HEY: open lanes for Gil to drive through).

Dray is nearly six-foot-twelve (der...). He's a Big. He's too quick for most centers, but long/active enough to give them some hassle if he guards 'em close. He's jsut got to get used to the fact that he's as big as he is, and maybe eat a sandwich or somethin'...

And, uh, stop sniffin after prosties.

Damn shame we couldn't have signed him already and sent him to Pete Newells Big Man camp with Pesh and DMac the damager.

But you know, it's in Vegas. Public relations wise it's a bad idea. Pubic relations wise as well.

Posted by: doclink | August 8, 2007 1:58 PM

Posted by: domo | August 8, 2007 3:34 PM

If pryzbilla was a starter here over Haywood or Etan he would produce more he will probably average 5.0 points per 8.0 rebounds per and 2.0 blocks per game which is better than what etan and haywood have brung to us which is nothing.

Posted by: domo | August 8, 2007 3:34 PM

I agree whith u Domo becuase pryzbilla only shoots the ball like four times a game but that is all we need from him.If u guys watch portland games he shut down every low post monster u can think of and he can block shots i remember a game where he blocked 7 shots which was nice to see.HE even shut down Yoa Ming the only reasons his numbers dont look good is becuase portland dont think he brings enough to the offensive end but he will be perfect here.

Posted by: agent zero | August 8, 2007 3:43 PM

Waz up im from portland and ya are talking bout my man Joel pryzbilla so i would trade him only if it is for haywood u heard me.If Joel is a starter for the Wizards he will do big things he is very underated he is probably better than haywood but i think he needs a change of scenary come down to D.C even though Portland is way better so hit me up and im out.

Posted by: Get Down Or u Stay Down | August 8, 2007 4:28 PM

Aside from being a stiff, Pryzbilla is always hurt. He's been in the league 7 years and only played 70 or more games twice.

Posted by: kalorama | August 8, 2007 4:30 PM

How are you guys doing I know you guys are looking at me seeing that this is my first time ever blogging on the comment section but i just got a update.I am hearing that the wizards are looking at sign and trade deals which will involve ''Brendan Haywood'' for Spurs Melvin Ely.I will post all furter details later for the real blog.

Posted by: ''Ivan Carter'' Wizards Post Beater | August 8, 2007 4:37 PM

I think the wizards should sign Bill Walton

Posted by: TONY | August 8, 2007 6:26 PM

I cannot stand reading that guy from HoopsWorld. Easily one of the worst people writing about the Wizards on the net.

Posted by: Pradamaster | August 8, 2007 7:22 PM

The Wizards need to do something about there centers becuase they both suck even though i like etan better.I am trying to figure out why people wants to keep Bendan Haywood but, after he demanded a trade people wanted him gone.But people wants to trade Etan Thomas becuase of his contract which I would rather keep.I have Question for u fans.

Would u like to trade a 6'9 center that has a big contract?
OR
A 7'0 center who does not even want to play for the team?

Posted by: Domo | August 8, 2007 7:42 PM

Domo,agree with 100% i like Etan better and i would rather have a 6'9 center with a big contract

Posted by: Fred | August 8, 2007 7:50 PM

uhhhhh which way did he go??? which way did he go??

Posted by: duh | August 8, 2007 9:26 PM

etan can actually have big impacts on games if he plays 25-30 minutes. last year he started off great, and towards the end of the season, he and antonio daniels had great chemistry as daniels kept dishing out assists to him for wide open dunks. if thomas is on the bench, it will give AD someone he can count on to pass to. that said, the wizards need a center to start games, and brenda isn't it. the wiz need to trade for jermaine o'neal, because it is much easier to replace jamison than to replace a center. for instance, the wizards have Opec, Blatche, Songaila, Booth(if they sign him), and maybe even Mcguire.

Posted by: DTEEB | August 8, 2007 9:56 PM

Trade Atawn Jamison for Jermaine O'Neal. The salaries work out just fine and the Wiz need to get bigger.

Posted by: Dan | August 9, 2007 7:01 AM

potato

Posted by: random | August 9, 2007 10:40 AM

is this a chat line or a blog? there is alot of BS comments on here! where is the beef... i need info! i could care less about trades to other teams...... what are the wizards doing? is the trade for wilcox or ely true?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2007 11:49 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 9, 2007 11:50 PM

The Wiz look pretty decent - for now - if the chips fall in place, hopefully. The Wiz needed a "rugged" center to advance in the playoffs, but it didn't matter anyway last season because of injuries to Gil and Caron, but for next season(s). The combo centers of Heywood and Thomas was inadequate - one was rugged but not a center (Thomas), the other was a center but not rugged enough (Heywood), according to Jordan. It got on Jordan's nerves, so he punished Heywood. By now he (Jordan)knows better, with Grunfeld calling the shots anyway, that he's going to have to live with Heywood, not all Jordan wants but not all that bad. When the chips fall Thomas will land on his feet with teams that could use his toughness and hard play - like the Celts, Nets or Lakers. Wiz don't need Thomas anymore, not just because of his salary, but Darius, Pesh and McGuire are in. But the Wiz need a center, "rugged enough" or not. Wiz are not crazy enough to give away Heywood, but that's what they were attempting to do with Thomas with Navarro as the bait. Ernie's no fool.

Posted by: rcoop | August 10, 2007 2:15 AM

Hey, if Haywood and Thomas are back to duke it out again this year, it'll only serve as yet another "excuse" why the Wiz have dredged the bottom off the NBA pool for, what, 26 years or so...but who's counting? Everyone on earth has known that they need a dominant (rugged) big to play with the real teams (Dallas, Houston, Cleveland, Suns, Spurs, etc) This is not 2007 discussion, this has been the discussion since, well, longer than I can remember -the Manute Bol era, maybe?
When/if the Wiz management ever really care to win, for real, it will be evident when a solid big shows up in a Wiz jersey. I just hope it happens in my lifetime and while there is some sort of talent around them. No one dimensional offense has won a title...the outside game has to accompany some form of inside presence. Jordan couldn't have won those rings without Pippen and friends, Kobe can't win without Shaq, Mr. Wonderful Labron James couldn't win with toolboxes like Verajao (sp?) and Ilgauskas...they have to be rounded and until Ernie G. figures that out, he'll always be close but not quite come playoff time!

Wake up people...

Somebody turn Abe upside down and shake some money out of his tight, old, moth-infested pockets so that this franchise can flourish again! PLEASE!

Posted by: The Cowboy | August 14, 2007 11:40 PM