The latest

Here's what I can tell you about the deal for Juan Carlos Navarro (wish I had more detail but I don't): All pieces have agreed to a deal in principle that would send JCN to Memphis for a conditional first-round pick. JCN will then have to work out the details of his buyout with Barcelona. Now, I don't know whether the pick comes in 2008 or 2009 and I don't know if it will be lottery-protected, top-10 protected etc. I would assume that it is top-10 protected at least.

Once this deal is completed the next order of business will be deciding what to do about Andray Blatche and my guess is that Ernie will still make an offer, Blatche will take it and everything will go forward. Maybe it will be a wake-up call for the kid, who knows? As I wrote late last night, my take is that Andray is not a bad guy and I haven't heard anyone else say he is either. Decision-making is a different story. Not that I was any different when I was 20. The only difference is that I wasn't in the NBA and I wasn't getting ready to land a huge contract that would potentially set me up for life.

Have a good Friday night. I know I'm going to do the same.

By Ivan Carter |  August 3, 2007; 8:57 PM ET
Previous: Navarro deal "close to finished" | Next: Checking in

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

thanks ivan for the news i wish they could of got swift but i no this team will make the moves best for the team

Posted by: brandon | August 3, 2007 9:11 PM

Tanks for the update.

I am kinda disappointed if JCN onlt fetch a "top-10" protected 1st rounded.

Posted by: Sagaliba | August 3, 2007 9:12 PM

Thanks Ivan

Posted by: Darnell | August 3, 2007 9:15 PM

what would you prefer? JCN for garnett?

Posted by: RichBoy | August 3, 2007 9:17 PM

I will not rest for the offseason until Blatche is signed.

I also hope that this is a little wake up call for him.

Posted by: The Real JJ | August 3, 2007 9:17 PM

EG's legacy so far (well, maybe a little forward looking too), in rank order best to worst:
1) CB for Kwame (snicker)
2) Gilbert
3) JCN for a #1
4) AJ for Stack
5) D.Mcguire as a 2nd round pick
6) In his 6th year AB makes allstar team and is playing for $2.5M per year
7) Songalia
8) Letting what's his name go to the Nicks
9) Letting LH go to the Cavs
10) AD
11) Pech
12-19) can't think of any more...help me out.
20) Matching ET's offer sheet

Pretty good legacy, imho.

Posted by: oddjob | August 3, 2007 9:20 PM

Memphis is getting a steal.

Posted by: KK | August 3, 2007 9:25 PM

RichBoy,

Top-3 protected, or a package that would rid off Etan would be better. Did you read the discussions at all?

Posted by: Sagaliba | August 3, 2007 9:32 PM

Ivan,

Being giving you lots of popcorn when the season starts for all the great updates. So Etan wasn't part of the deal?

Posted by: Gareth | August 3, 2007 9:48 PM

Thanks, Ivan, for the update and have a good weekend yourself.

And power 2 the people of MPLS, as Prince would say.

And Andray -- work on the judgment skills! You don't want to be Kwame #2.

Posted by: iceberg | August 3, 2007 10:01 PM

The guy turned an old second round pick that we had already long forgotten about into a future first round pick from a team that went 22-60 last season.

Boy do we have a terrible GM!

Posted by: juandixonformvp | August 3, 2007 10:04 PM

Ivan -

Long time reader first time poster. Do you know whether or not we got rid of Etan?

Posted by: another mike | August 3, 2007 10:21 PM

"Have a good Friday night. I know I'm going to do the same."

Just don't do what Andray did ok Ivan? ;);)

Thanks.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 3, 2007 10:32 PM

Way to go Ernie!

In negotiations you ask for the world and hoep to get exactly what you want. No way in the world was anyone going to take Navarro and Etan and give up an all-star and pick, so what did we get-a first rounder (a possible top-10 lottery protected pick).

The draft next year is expected to be filled with talent and we will have two first rounders either to draft to players or leverage one and one of our existing players for a center or more.

Look forward to hearing more details about this deal and learning about Andray signing his deal with the Wizards.

Posted by: Arm-Chair GM | August 3, 2007 10:42 PM

Well I hope all you people out there pissing and moaning about this blog will shut up now. Good work Ivan on getting most of the details. Hopefully if we roll it over enough it will be unprotected in 09 or 10 and Chris Wallace will have screwed the Grizzlies up enough that it will be worth what the Wizards are giving up.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 3, 2007 10:44 PM

we can use this pick into getting an Al Jefferson...we can offer all our three picks and maybe AD or BH for Al Jefferson...or we can try to get Chris Wilcox or even LaMarcus Aldridge with all of these picks...it neccesarily doesnt have to be one of these players i wouldnt mind Camby or another good player suchs as Emeka...and Roy Hibbert...he will drop that low..there are about 3 center rated better than him and if doesnt drop as i said there are still 3 more to chose from

Posted by: Fulvio | August 3, 2007 10:44 PM

1000) Sign Gilby for a dollar more than any other team out there that can only offer him a 5 year contract.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 3, 2007 10:48 PM

This is a good deal. Navarro would've been superfluous here and we didn't have the cap space in any case- so he wasn't coming here. This is another piece we could use in trades or moving up in the draft and best of all, he's being traded to a Western Conference team that we will never see in the playoffs. This is the best EG could've done under the circumstances.

Posted by: mikem | August 3, 2007 10:56 PM

ok, so we got 11 players under contract, Blatche would be 12.

So who will be the last 3 players to fill out the roster??

I'm thinking Aaron Miles, Roger Mason, and Mike Hall.

What do you all think?

That means goodbye to Calvin Booth, Michael Ruffin, Donnell Taylor, Jarvis Hayes.

Posted by: Darnell | August 3, 2007 11:02 PM

10 days ago I posted here that my sources told me that JCN would wind up in Memphis for a first round pick and the only question was whether it would be lottery-protected or not. One person asked me if I was Ken Beatrice and another said there are "no sources in Rockville." That part is true. But my sources are at the Verizon Center, not in Rockville. Looks like they knew what they were talking about.

Great info. this week, Ivan. Thank you. Have a great weekend. You deserve it!

Posted by: Rockville | August 3, 2007 11:06 PM

Haywood, Etan, Blatche
Jamison, Songaila, Pecherov
Butler, McGuire, Hall
Stevenson, Young, Mason
Arenas, Daniels, Miles

Posted by: Darnell | August 3, 2007 11:09 PM

Booth, Miles and a wing would be my guess.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 11:17 PM

Ok so. ..

1) LoL Ray, back at ya Rook

2) One thing that isn't clear to me - someone made a decision at some point that JCN wasn't going to be a wiz. Admittedly Stevenson was signed before JCN became available, but I can't believe that Ernie didn't know that JCN was coming available when he signed Stevenson (if i recall correctly it wasn't like we had to match an offer). So. . .EJ made a decision early that the value to the Wiz currently of having JCN on the team wasn't higher than the long term value of a pick. So. . .a) JCN isn't the player in EJ's eyes that he has been in Europe; b) EJ is STILL building for long term; or c) (i hope) EJ has something big planned with what he figured we would get for JCN.

A couple of folks have said it, but let's remember that teams don't come out of nowhere in the NBA. Trades may look like they make teams better, but the bottom line is it is a TEAM sport, and the Wiz have a solid core that has been together for a while. We can absorb a good player without changing the chemistry (barring Rodman coming out of retirement). I'm not sure that, say, Orlando can at this point. What I'm saying is that we have a slow build on, and the ESPN etc folks might be blinded by star power, but EJ knows what he is doing - build it slow and steady.

That all being said, I wonder if we could somehow work Al Jefferson away from McHale. He'd be perfect in our system, and you never know with McHale.

btw - looks like Brand is out for the year for the clips - puts that whole team into play.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | August 3, 2007 11:30 PM

Ivan and Michael,

Not normally one for sweet nothings, but thanks very much for the continued supply of the best information available on the Wizards, and the continued patience to put up with the reader's (mine included) occasional lack of patience.

Posted by: DOC | August 3, 2007 11:36 PM

cj, how about d) sign a starter (DS) for less than market value and a bit more than Navarro will make to come off the bench.

He chose continuity and he chose to put the money into the starting 2 instead of a backup 1/2. iow, he had his priorities straight.

Jefferson was the cornerstone of that deal for Minnesota. Besides the picks, he's the only guy they want to keep longterm. Thats why McHale dealt with the Celtics and not the Cavs, Mavs, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 11:39 PM

Wait, so we:
Got a first rounder for him AND kept him away from Miami? win-win. Parlay the first rounder into a vet or a move up in the draft.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 11:42 PM

Charles Jones - I think EG probably got blind-sided by JCN. My speculation is that he had already promised Stephenson (or his agent) last year that if he signed with the Wiz for the minimum, he would do everything he could to give him most of our MLE this year. Remember, we had lost Jeffries, and didn't have a whole lot of money left - and Stephenson was out of options as well.

Timing is everything. EG was already in negotiations with Stephenson when JCN announced the reduced buyout, and his intention to play in the NBA. Remember, up until now, he never made any noises like he wanted to play for the Wiz - and his huge buyout precluded any chance of signing him until his contract ran out.

I think EG even went over to Spain a couple of times; and each time came back and there was no news.

It may be that JCN and/or his agent timed the announcement so that it would be impossible for the Wiz to sign him, making it more probable that he would be traded - possibly to Memphis.

Of course, this is all just speculation.... but the facts certainly fit.

I think EG did a great job getting a 1st round pick for JCN - considering the deadline, and the Wizards Cap situation. It was reported that Miami was only offering a 2nd round pick (or perhaps two 2nd round picks).

Now we have two 1st round picks for next year's draft, and I wouldn't be surprised if EG tries to package them and move up to take Hibbert.

Posted by: Rook | August 3, 2007 11:55 PM

Thanks for all the insight this week, IC. Hope you're enjoying a cold beer or three tonight - you deserve it. Cheers!

Posted by: Mike in SD | August 3, 2007 11:59 PM

If the deal is as Ivan says, not sure how anyone can knock it. For a guy who wasn't playing here and wouldn't have had a huge roll even if he did, the Wiz get a #1. Sweet. It would have been great to unload Etan's contract, but oh well.

As for the final three roster spots, I like Miles to be the third PG and Mason as another long range gunner. I would think (hope) they would use the final spot on a big man, either a rook like Visser or a vet like Ruffin or Booth. Hall had a nice summer league, but the Wiz have an overload of small forwards.

Still like this team a lot and not worrying about the Celts hype; the Wiz are still better than them

Posted by: Ben | August 4, 2007 12:10 AM

I think that Booth will be kept.
Booth is a great defender.
Hall might but I think Miles is on the fence right now.

Posted by: aprius | August 4, 2007 12:43 AM

1001) I come out of the closet.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 12:59 AM

"we can offer all our three picks and maybe AD or BH for Al Jefferson"

Jefferson's good, but he's not three first rounders good. Besides, the Wolves aren't looking to add long-term salary.

Posted by: kalorama | August 4, 2007 1:32 AM

So, ok. who do we keep this yr? Anybody know?

How do we justify keeping any of these guys?

All are mediocre...

Posted by: nite hawk | August 4, 2007 2:02 AM

JNC could have played here, we chose Deshawn over him. I excused signing Stevneson, because I felt that the Wizards had decided that JNC would be more valuable for what we would receive for him in a trade than what he could do for the Wizards. For a team that needs to win now, a lottery-protected pick that we don't get until the Grizz make the playoffs (which could be awhile considering last year's 22-60 record) is not that valuable.
No team made an offer for Stevenson, and we got him last year only because no team would pay him more than 3 mill/yr. That says to me that GMs dont regard him highly.

We had 8-10 teams trying to get Navarro. Teams have tried to acquire his rights from us ever since we drafted him. He led Spain to Olympic gold, has great stats, and Hollinger projects him to have like 17 pts, 5.5 assists, 3 rbds in the NBA in his article titled "Wizards Should Nab Navarro".

Go figure.

PS 2nd Rounder for a 1st rounder, WHOO HOO?!?!?!?!

Posted by: Emmet | August 4, 2007 2:06 AM

im with you all - im not saying signing deshawn was bad - just saying that i think ernie actually knew that jnc would be available and went ahead with ds anyway. that says something about either jnc or how ernie felt he would fit with the team. just saying i don't think that eg got two stepped - i think he knew he was signing deshawn and not signing jnc.

a first round pick is a good deal - no doubt - parleyed a 2nd rounder for a first rounder -

this team is set up to win but is missing a player - i think eg is building a bank account of picks to get that player. at the trade deadline good players come cheap - i don't think anything is imminent, but look what iverson went for last year, eh? nada de nunca.

just looked for wiz over/under wins for 2008 on the season and couldn't find it. i think we will see another bargain this year.

Posted by: charles jones | August 4, 2007 2:20 AM

"Considering only their talent, Navarro is far superior to Stevenson or at least thats how those who know basketball feel about it."

And who would "those" people be? Because most of the scouting reports I've seen on Navarro say he's a 6th man quality player.

Posted by: kalorama | August 4, 2007 2:27 AM

Look, we had to keep DeShawn. He is a legit starting sg. JNC is a guy to bring off the bench, a luxury. If it's a matter of a starter vs a reserve, we gotta sign the guy who's gonna start for us first.

From there, once we drafted NY as a scorer off the bench, JNC became a luxury we simply couldn't afford.

To get a 1st round pick for him was a good move. It is an asset. A tradable commodity. Instead of losing JNC to Spain for nothing, we picked up another asset that we can package in a trade, or keep it and add another future player.

Posted by: Darnell | August 4, 2007 4:11 AM

Testing if anybody can use Ivan's name. This is not Ivan.

Posted by: Ivan | August 4, 2007 6:21 AM

I like Ernie's overall track record, but, I'm so dumbfounded on this, that I can't even type. This is a young proven player, for a protected pick!!! You have to be kidding me!! Has Peter Angelos bought a piece of the Wizards? Maybe Wes has returned?

Posted by: Klapper | August 4, 2007 6:21 AM

Ivan,
Do you ever make comments on the blog? Anybody can use your name to make a comment, so it would be confusing if you ever actually made a comment because I think most of us assume it's just some guy when we see comments in your name. However, I think there's still confusion. For example, Bullets Forever notes that "Ivan mentions in the comments section that it could be top-3 protected instead of just lottery-protected. Let's hope so." Pradamaster is talking about the third comment for the "Navarro deal close to finished" post that "It might be a top-3 protected pick. I'll check into it." The comments posted under the name Ivan.
If you could clarify about whether you post comments and how we know a comment is from you, that would help make sure that comments of some random poster using your name aren't attributed to you.

Peace

Posted by: Ivan? | August 4, 2007 6:31 AM

Just to correct a comment about JCN:

"He led Spain to Olympic gold"

I guess you meant "He led Spain to the FIBA World Championship 2006 gold" where USA was third [not the Olympic one]. They had previously won the Junior World Championship gold in 1999.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 6:40 AM

Its neither denied or confirmed that it'll be a protected or unprotected 1st round pick.

Posted by: Ivan | August 4, 2007 7:25 AM

Protected pick--or protected nick?

Posted by: KTV | August 4, 2007 8:52 AM

Yeah, he's a proven player...IN EUROPE!!! Navarro's hype at this point far exceeds anything he could possibly ever do on the court. You'd think we got rid of the white Iverson.

Again, he is not regarded as a starter in the league by many. Whoever is saying that, please stop. He is regarded as a sixth man AT BEST for a playoff-caliber team. If you're saying otherwise, you are WRONG. He is 6'3", 170. He is not interchangeable with Stevenson on the court.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 4, 2007 9:07 AM

RichBoy,

I've read all of the delusions of grandeur that most of you armchair GMs have come up with...if it could have been done it would, you got a 2nd round pick from 5 years ago and turned it into a 1st rounder...NOBODY wants etan thomas...WE don't want etan thomas...why do you think it's so easy? some of you are so delusional that you've trumped your heads up to thinking that navarro is actually the JNC that ivan was jokingt about, the spanish jordan. WTF? even the next ginobili is rather ambitious, let me ask you this: would you trade a top-three protected pick for ginobili? if you answer yes, there's a reason why you work in aisle 6

Posted by: RichBoy | August 4, 2007 9:24 AM

Baloney, a lot of the people who were on the Navarro bandwagon are on it because of his sterling play in international ball (not because of a couple of YouTube momemnts, give some of the people on this blog a little flippin credit!) and the apparentely minor detail that Navarro was one of the best players in the best leagues in Europe (Spain) and oh yes was Euroleague MVP.
I still maintain that Navarro at the point with Arenas at 2 could've worked, although there would've been major questions on the defensive end of the floor. And lets not forget the real reason why Ernie chose to keep Stevenson and trade Navarro. Gilbert opting out was the number one reason. And since Stevenson and Gilbert are best pals, Ernie made a decision that he believes placates Gilbert and makes it easier for him to resign next summer (we will see).
I still believe that Navarro is a better player and will prove to be an effective point. Stevenson's defensive prowess was overrated and we won't revisit his play after Gilbert and Caron were injured, that dead horse has been beaten enough.
I am glad Ernie held out and didn't get bluffed off a first rounder and depending on the protections that could be a great deal for our team next season (we will see).

Posted by: George Templeton | August 4, 2007 9:26 AM

navarro was like a cd...a second rounder that over time matured into a first rounder...wut an investment...haha

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 9:29 AM

i get the int'l ball success, but again we CANNOT automatically equate this to nba success...it's just like anything else...95% of the players in the nba or that have been in the nba, whether they've succeeded and had great success (haha BORAT) or completely s*cked, were stars in the leagues or levels of play that they were previously in. everyone sees that whole tremendous upside potential like bill simmons talks about, but there's no guarantee...EVERYONE's demo has amazing moves...if i or you or anyone else put a collage of plays together on youtube we would look like worldbeaters, because noone shows footage of incompetence and flaw. i just think EG got what he could have, and although he didn't get rid of etan or haywood or daniels, also didn't get desperate and make a hasty and rushed deal and bring back somebody else's garbage just to get rid of ours

Posted by: RichBoy | August 4, 2007 9:46 AM

Again, not sure why anyone would disagree with the JCN trade. He is known for his offense and like many Euro's, he plays little D. Also, he's had the ball in his hands most of the time and clearly that won't happen with Gil around, so maybe he wouldn't be as effective in that role.

Also, Nick Young was drafted to fill the bench scoring role and DS is the Wiz best defender. Its not always the individual pieces, but how they all fit together. IF JCN had wanted to come over last season, I suspect he is the Wizards 2-guard and not DS, but a bird in the hand...

It would have been great to unload Etan's contract, but either nobody was willing to take it OR the Wiz would have to get less than what they got. Etan's contract may be brutal, but he can still help this year (if he would just stay healthy!) AND they get a number one. So what if its lottery protected; the worst case is they have to wait until the '09 draft to get the pick BUT then it could anything outside the top 3.

Posted by: Ben | August 4, 2007 10:26 AM

Night Hawk said

"was hopin for a new more mature bench same retreads - Hall, Ruffin, Mason, Booth

How do we justify keeping any of these guys?

All are mediocre..."

Dude, these are the 13-15th man spots. The Celts barely have those types of players in 8-10 right now. Most NBA teams play no more than a 9-10 man rotation anyway and NOBODY has anything more than perceived "mediocre" talent in those roles.

What you want there, IMO, is have players who can step in at key spots if needed; that would be PG, a shooter and post defender. Donnell Taylor should he could not run an offense and so far, Miles has looked good (of summer league means little, but he was a strong PG at Kansas).

Mason can stroke the 3 and Booth can step in with little to no warning and play effective defense. Now, I am not sure Booth will even be around as teams like the Celts can offer more PT so maybe Visser is someone to look at. Also, lets not forget Pinnock. He looked good in camp and in the Pan Am games and he has a certain moxie about his game.

Jamison Songalia Pesh
Butler McGuire Blatche
Haywood Thomas Visser
Stevenson Young Mason
Arenas Daniels Miles

Posted by: Ben | August 4, 2007 10:33 AM

Richboy your points are well taken and I was responding more to the comment that "People see a couple YouTubes and hop on the hype bandwagon and all of a sudden they are NBA GMs. I'll side with Ernie on this one." To me that was just ridiculous.
And as I said before I think Ernie did very well with the deal considering that if the Grizz are in the lottery next year then its only top 3 protected in '09 and it is probably unprotected '10.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 4, 2007 10:34 AM

Apparently this is a done deal. Maybe instead of squabbling over it or arguing about how good Navarro really is--which the next year will prove one way or the other--we should try to figure out what Grunfeld's options now are and what his next move(s) should be.

Who could we get for a pair of first-round picks? Who woud we want? Could we dump Etan Thomas and possibly Blatche with them and get O'Neal from Indiana or Camby from Denver? The guys on RealGM seem to think Thomas for Turkuglu is now possible with the lower pick. Would that be a good trade?

Navarro has left the building. Let's move on, too.

Posted by: KTV | August 4, 2007 10:47 AM

KTV,

Excellent points, and agreed -- on to the next topic. The timing of this incident with Blatche couldn't have been worse from EG's point of view, if he was looking to package picks and players in a trade. Blatche is still seen as having big upside, but his trade value is now severely diminished.

As far as Thomas is concerned, it's hard to see any team wanting to take him on. There's no way you'd get O'Neal or Camby for that package -- not even close; especially now with Blatche's troubles. They'd laugh in your face if you offered that.

Posted by: Keithinator | August 4, 2007 11:13 AM

"I think that Booth will be kept.
Booth is a great defender.
Hall might but I think Miles is on the fence right now.

Posted by: aprius | August 4, 2007 12:43 AM "

I also think Booth should be kept, after seeing him play well together with Songaila. He's got good basketball sense.

Posted by: rgz | August 4, 2007 11:19 AM

First of all Memphis has now positioned themselves for major improvement this off season. Gasol, assuming that he doesn't get hurt this summer, will be healthy and happy and more rested than last year. He was tired, hurt(physically and mentally), and had demanded a trade last year.
They've gained Milicic, Conley, Lowry(he was hurt all last year) and now Navarro. So they've added 4 guys that should all be part of their rotation plus made the one move that they could have made to repair relations with their best player.
From their point of view they're heading into the season with a shot at the playoffs, giving up this pick wasn't the stretch that some on this site were thinking. This deal made just plain good sense to them, they've got a guy that likes to play the more uptempo game that they want and they've put a smile back on Gasol's face. You can't discount the fact that those two have played together for years, so they've gained some instant chemistry. They've also retained their shooters to spread the court, so they'll be playing a fan friendly game, which is big for them because they need to create excitment draw in the casual fan. The Czar's style nearly killed NBA basketball in Memphis, they'll jazz things up a little now. The turnstyles will start turning and maybe Heisley can find a buyer and everybody will be happy.
We're in a position now that we've got an extra chip to use in another deal that has wider appeal than Navarro. Almost everybody is looking for future picks in deals so this broadens Grunfeld's flexibility looking for a trade partner.
We can either go with the roster as it is now and hold our chips for next year's draft which has the appearances of being another deep one. Or we could go into the season looking to be a player for a deadline deal since somebody is always retooling for next year. Or Ernie could start to look at the center position now.
I'd agree Brand's injury puts the Clippers' roster in play even more than before. They've got a 37 yr old point in Cassell who is a nice complementry peice for a playoff team, but isn't a fulltime starter at this point of his career. I think he's due about 7m next year which is the last year of his deal. They have no starter at point until Livingston gets healthy, which could be never. They need someone that can run their team and then back up the kid if he ever returns at full strength. They can't go into the year with Cassell as a starter.
Meggette is always unhappy with Dunleavy and wants out, but the owner doesn't want to let him go. But, their owner is said to be very unhappy about paying Kaman's extension which kicks in this year at nearly 10m per yr. Now that they look to be lottery material without Brand, think he won't be tempted to find a taker for Kaman and hope to get a center in next year's draft?
Somebody's always retooling for next year, and it's useally the Clippers. Has been ever since they gave us Elvin Hayes for Jack Marin. Fulvio couldn't even finish this he's already on the trade machine trading away!
Ernie is proceeding down his list, I'd think he'll let Blatche and his agent twist in the wind a little, then he'll sit down and sign him to that five year deal with some clauses to protect the Wizards after he takes the kid to the woodshed.
Miles, Hall and Visser all probably got themselves camp invites based on summer league. Depending on other moves Booth could still be back if he doesn't catch on somewhere else first. The Boston Globe is reporting that the Celtics have an interest in Ruffin and Booth so he could land there. Or, he could be sign and traded to help make a salary match.
Ernie could be wrapping things up, but my guess is he's now going to turn his attention to the five position and take a look if he can move one or two of the contracts that he'd like to purge in the process. Daniels and Etan or Haywood and a number one for Kaman is a possibility, but Fulvio's probably already posted that!

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2007 11:27 AM

Sarunas Jasikevicius did a lot of the same things Navarro did over in Europe. Look at him now. You can't tell me Navarro is THAT much better to warrant this kind of outcry. Give me a break.

Euroleague =/= NBA
Stevenson =/= JCN
Stevenson > JCN

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 4, 2007 11:28 AM

Agree about Booth. Smart player, hard worker, inexpensive, and great insurance. Especially if Thomas sticks to form and gets injured AGAIN, and Brendan turns out to be a team distraction, AGAIN. Always nice to have that Professional (spelled with a capital P) on the bench you can count on.

I think that Miles will stick as well. He needs to have a good training camp.

Posted by: Rook | August 4, 2007 11:32 AM

It was reported they had offers for Haywood. This might be what it takes for Ernie to do one of those deals.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 11:59 AM

George,

My comments weren't so much aimed at you, because from what I've read your comments are rational and thought-provoking. I think there are more or less outliers that make crazy statements on here, and it gets frustrating, a la ivan's angry blog earlier this week. All in all, this is an ESPN-generation, where people take the flashy highlight and social rather than factual commentary and run. Rational thought seems to be a thing of the past, which seems to be fueling criticism of EG for not bringing back an all-star or getting rid of a contract that we all universally feel is bad.

Posted by: RichBoy | August 4, 2007 12:00 PM

"If you think Stevenson's defense was overrated, I'd like to see what you'd say after seeing NBA 2s abuse Navarro. Instead of giving YouTubers credit, how about we give Ernie Grunfeld, an actual NBA GM with a track record, some credit.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 4, 2007 11:28 AM"

When DS was brought on, he was brought on to play defense and called himself a defensive stopper. Nobody was trying to sell JCN as a defensive player in any way shape or form. All we heard from DS last year was "mr. 50; can't feel my face; etc." Never once did anyone hear "I shut my man down like I was supposed to and helped out on D and brought that kind of energy onto the floor."

SJ is a fundamentals kind of a guy who's a fish out of water in the aggressive attacking style that GS runs. Also, the ball is mostly in Baron's hands so SJ has been relegated to a "token white man 3 point shooter" role.

Before anyone criticizes or predicts that JCN will be abused by NBA 2 guards, lets talk about how Gilby has neglected his defensive responsibilities while focusing on getting his shot and his self promotion.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 12:03 PM

Booth is surely not the player he was when he first started his career here. I see him as a guy who takes up some space, plays a little D, but not worth anything that's worthy of much more discussion than that. He's way past his prime.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 12:05 PM

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 4, 2007 12:09 PM

Oh, I'd like to promote my wigga rap CD: "I'm a twerpy, little twerpy".

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 12:21 PM

Jasikevicius is a fish out of water at Golden State for sure. But one thing to remember when people start throwing his name around comparing him to Navarro. Navarro is 27 "Yes" was possibly 27 when he played at Maryland.
The guy is older than his reported age, I heard Gary Williams in an interview one time tell the story about recruiting him. He asked how old he was, because Maryland wouldn't give a scholarship to an old guy. He was then asked through an interupter, "how old is an old guy?"
They then told Gary he was one year younger than his answer.
I followed "Yes" for a longtime, he's closer to 37 than 27. The guy's gotten a lot of mileage out of his talent, but his legs aren't as young as they used to be.
Navarro's problem won't be so much in speed and lateral movement as strength so he and "Yes" aren't comparable."Yes" is stong as an ox, just has never been quick. That's where the Dixon comparison is more realistic. There are going to be some guys that are just going to overpower Navarro. A coach will have to pick his spots with Navarro at the 2, just like Dixon.
But he's smart, and cagey, he'll learn the NBA game and be a valuable peice on the right team. He was worth a first rounder in a trade so Ernie made a good deal. But him and "Yes" are totally different players.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2007 12:40 PM

Keithinator-- agree about not getting ONeal or Camby with that package. Agree that nobody wants Etan, who appears to be pulling a 'Bison Dele' anyway in his personal life (I predict a buyout at the end of a sluggish, 'nagging-injury' plagued year unless Orlando really is dumb enough to take him). But what sort of package might be attractive? We already know that Indiana won't care about Blatche's arrest--look at who they tolerated on their team for years. So--Haywood, Blatche, and two first-round picks? Jamison, Blatche, and the two picks? The Garnett trade shows this sort of package can work. It certainly might be enough for Camby. As for Kaman, I find it hard to take that idea too seriously. I've only seen him play three or four times, but he wasn't impressive. Didn't even look very tall. Or did I miss something?

Posted by: KTV | August 4, 2007 1:18 PM

And BTW--great anecdote, GM. I remember it well. Good thing for the program that the dude always had a baby face.

Posted by: KTV | August 4, 2007 1:21 PM

Don't have an update yet folks. To clarify: it's unknown at this point whether the first-rounder is in the 2008 or 2009 draft and it's also unknown whether it's lottery protected, top-10 protected or top-3 protected. My best educated guess is that it would at least be top 10 protected. I'll let ya'll know more as soon as more info comes in. May not happen today though so stay tuned.

Posted by: The Real Ivan | August 4, 2007 2:23 PM

Too early to tell if this is a great move by EG. I would say it looks more like a pretty good gamble.

Of course, maybe EG turns around and deals the 1st rounder, and the Poet's contract for something else. The would be a very good move.

Posted by: JPT | August 4, 2007 2:24 PM

KTV,

The problem with centers is that there are so few good ones. Does AJ, AB and two #1s get you Jermaine O'Neal? I think it might. You wouldn't have to give up that much to get Camby. I'd take either one right now, although O'Neal's certainly the better player. It really depends on how desperate Indiana is to dump O'Neal. They have a good GM, who's not going to get snookered a la Kupchak or McHale.

Posted by: Keithinator | August 4, 2007 2:45 PM

thanks for the update ivan!

Posted by: Zonker | August 4, 2007 2:52 PM

I knew you weren't going after my comments Rich Boy, I was talking about Wes Mantooth's comments. As it is, I hope the subsequent posters are correct and now with an extra draft choice, maybe another trade to get a really good player is on the horizon. I missed it, but what is Brand's injury.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 4, 2007 2:53 PM

RichBoy,

No, I didn't say it is easy. JCN for a lottery protected pick is a OK (i.e., fair) trade but it is not a great trade for the Wizards. A great trade is NEVER easy.

JCN was a #40 pick in 2002. If you trade a top-half second round of this year for a lower-half of the 1st round 6 yrs from now, no one will term it as a great trade. Heck, you could have "bought" a low 1st round from Phoenix without giving up anything (other than money).

I am sure that Ernie was hoping for more (just read what Ivan has written), I am also sure Ernie did his best. My disappointment is not direct at EG, I am just sorry that Ernie did not succeed (never have I ever said I would have done a better a job than EG).

Posted by: Sagaliba | August 4, 2007 3:07 PM

"Right, but I'm pretty sure JCN won't average 30+/game for us, either. Big difference.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | August 4, 2007 12:09 PM "

Too bad averaging almost 30 points a game during the 1st half of the season meant nothing during the 2nd half and into the playoffs. His game got predictable, defenses adjusted, and then his arm and knee went out. Oh well, lets start the "Coming Out Party, Part Deux" planning for next season at Love.

For point guard position, I'd gladly take someone who focused more on getting teammates involved and creating more assists coupled with a healthy 20 points rather than a gunner who doesn't play any defense. For sure, if JCN got on Les BouleS, much focus would have been on him rather than the media hog Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 3:37 PM

You are just so upset that you can't light a candle to Gilbert...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 3:57 PM

Sagaliba:

I see what you're saying, and I am inclined to agree that EG just did what he could. However, I have no fear that the pick will ever be in the lower half of the first round in the next 2 years. Memphis is garbage. With or without JCN, they'd be hard pressed to get into the playoffs, much less win 35 games with what they're up against in the Western Conference. Either way, this first round pick, in my mind, is an asset for potential trades in the near future.

Posted by: RichBoy | August 4, 2007 5:34 PM

A little off topic here -- but saw this movie "Rescue Dawn" last night, and have to say it was a great flick -- an absolute must see.

What I didn't realize is that Elton Brand, yes, that Elton Brand, was a major backer of this film. Apparently it was his money which carried this film through production. If Brand has problems recovering from the ruptured Achilles, it's at least good to know that he has a legitimate post basketball career. Don't know about the Paris Hilton film that he's got in the pipeline, but "Rescue Dawn" is probably the best flick that I've seen this summer.

Posted by: JPT | August 4, 2007 7:08 PM

we better hope we get another quality big man through trade or in free agency soon or else we will be almost exactly the same team as last year and finish right around (40-45 win) again...seem to never get over the hump every year for the wiz....i though that we could pick up jermain o'neal through trade with jamison+thomas+ 1 first round pick (or maybe two), this is worth it if you want to win now, i think...

Posted by: NV | August 4, 2007 7:15 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 7:39 PM

"The crap that comes out of DC88's mouth is simply astounding. ALL he does is harp and put down Gilbert....even in the d**n offseason! No way would Navarro get more attention than Gilbert.....

You are just so upset that you can't light a candle to Gilbert...

Posted by: | August 4, 2007 03:57 PM "

Sounds like you're the one who's upset. I'm having a heckuva fun time. I'm sure you want to know or do know, more about Gilby's little candle, especially how best to light it up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2007 7:42 PM

I think that the wiz are in an excellent position,with the trading of JCN.Even if it is a top 10 protected pick. I can name at least 10 teams that going to have a worst record than Memphis-(Seattle,Minnesota,Portland,Indiana,Phila.,Atlanta,Sacramento,Clippers,Lakers,
Milwaukee,New Orleans,and Orlando). So we probably will end up with the pick this year and with our own first, gives us 2 picks to get 1 center in this next draft.

Ernie probably feels that we have a solid bench that we could make it to the eastern finals in a few years with in(AD,Young,McNasty,Haywood,Pesh,Songaila). I also probably Ernie feels good with Gil and Caron as our 2 leaders and Deshawn as a starting role player. So the question is what do we need in our last two starting positions.A center and maybe a starting power forward.
I think Blatche has a two year window or he will be traded. But I do think Ernie is hoping for the best with him and he will be our starting power forward after Antawn leaves for the Bobcats. So basicly that is probably why he would like to get rid of Etan, he's not a starting center in this league. Etan will get easier to trade next year or in two years after the pick we get June is ready to start.But you never know a team might get desperate in the middle of the year, and want to do a deal.But we must get the best for us center in this years draft even if we give up 3 first rounders to get him( a defensive mined big man that can rebound, block shots and get score some in the post,Hasheem Thabeet).
Then if Blache dont work out after next year trade him for a veteran and future picks.That gives us our 11 man rotation that just might work.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2007 11:00 PM

above

Posted by: d square | August 4, 2007 11:01 PM

Very interesting post dsquare. What about the possibility of trading Jamison and his expiring deal in mid-year? Where are you on that question?

Posted by: George Templeton | August 4, 2007 11:59 PM

George, the biggest drawback of trading Jamison this season is that we'd have to take back nearly the same amount of salary. Unless we'd get an expiring contract for at least part of his salary Ernie could get caught in a major cash bind next summer when Arenas opts out.
As we are now we're right at the Luxury Tax, and we have about 1.8m of the MLE and the LLE left to use. Jamison's 16m is in it's last year and Arenas is making about 12m, but is opting out. I'm not sure what the max that Arenas can get in the first year but I think it is closer to the 16m that Jamison is making now.
In effect Grunfeld has room to sign Arenas and attempt to resign Jamison at a lessor deal, say 8-10m per year,than he has now and retain our core and have enough room to sign our two first rounders next year.
If we'd go out and use Jamison's contract along with others to get Jermaine O'Neal in a deal that we could fit under the Luxury Tax this year, the problem would be next summer when Arenas opts out. At that point we could be 8-10m over the Luxury Tax and would still need money in up coming years as our young guys come off their rookie deals.
By picking Pechecrov and leaving him overseas last year Ernie bought himself a another year before he comes off his rookie deal. But you only control 2nd rounders 2 years. That's why it's important to get Blatche signed to the 5 yr deal for longterm cap management. Ernie's trying not to have too many contracts to deal with at once. But building a contender while managing the cap and Luxury Tax ain't easy.
A lot of people are saying Boston made a great deal to get Garnett, but their cap vs. Luxury Tax issues will become a nightmare in the coming years. Trust me, Ainge has a short window because of these guys age and the fact that three players put him well over the cap and near the LT level.
By combining contracts to make 4 for one or 5 for 1 deals he's lost cap slots. Without available slots he has no room left to move signing guys to contracts that exceed the cap. He has to fill out his roster with min. deal guys.
If you think our bench looked bad this year, the Celtics will look even worse for years. And they are built around two guys that have been having recurring injury problems and Garnett has more minutes played than any other NBA player at his age.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 8:44 AM

"George, the biggest drawback of trading Jamison this season is that we'd have to take back nearly the same amount of salary."

That's not going to happen, EG trade Jamison I mean. #1 he makes too much money, and #2 why trade for him when you can get him in the summer?

Plus for everyone who dislikes the guy EG LOVES him. That and he put up 50 in a playoff game when the Wiz had no one else to look too.

Jamison can't play a lick of D but he plays a big role for the Wiz.

My only question to everyone now is since Blatche showed he's too immature to be thrown into the spotlight, after Jamison leaves who do you replace him with??

If anything I think Jamison's value just went up...to the Wiz, not for trading.

How devastating will it be if both Jamison and Arenas leave the Wiz Next summer?

It could happen.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 5, 2007 9:33 AM

d-square - I don't think we want Thabeet. From what I've read about him, physically he's a monster, but he's extremely raw.

No, a better idea is to package our picks to move up in the draft and choose Hibbert. A legitimate NBA center. Good rebounder and shot blocker. Not nearly as athletic as Thabeet, but with a much more polished offensive game. Very good with his back to the basket. In other words, a guy that could contribute in his rookie year. Not as much upside, but very little downside.

If he comes out early, Thabeet is a project.

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 10:14 AM

word is we are trying to package our picks for wilcox or aldridge. Ivan is always behind on the scoop.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2007 11:25 AM

Hibbert's biggest upside in the Princeton is those soft hands and his court awareness. He'd do better in our system than some others and on defense he's even longer than Haywood.
Considering his improvement since he arrived at G-town I'm not sure he has reached his peak yet it may still take him a few years to mature into that big frame.
He has a clumsy kind of grace about him that reminds me of Big Gheorge at times. And he really has worked hard to improve, the kind of guy you like to see do well. I'd love to see us get him, but that may take some doing depending on what the protections on Memphis's picks are.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 11:30 AM

Is the Wilcox/Aldridge rumor from the Rockville to Verizon connection? He pegged the Navarro trade well in advance.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 11:34 AM

I love Georgetown players but the thing that scares me about Hibbert is that he will be a little slow in transition, the wiz like to run. He is not athletic, and how many rebounds is he good for. Yea,he easly the best polish offensive center comming out next year.But is that what we need? Do we need Yao Ming or Ben Wallace? Who has the most championships? As a wiz fan I would perfer Wallace. We got Gil,Carron,Young,Pesh are all offensive minded.Also McNasty, AB and Darrius also can score. Now count how many players on team have a defensive mind set. Not even one! Altough Carron, DS, Haywood and McNasty can, but is that there mind set?
I would not mind if our starting center is a offensive liability, who cares if hes good for 6 points a game.I want someone who can block 2 or 3 shoots a game,give me 12+ rebounds a game and has a commanding presents in the post for a big man.Thats why I said Haseem Thabbet,but Im not a GM.If the WIZ brass feel that Hibbert is the best, fine , then get him. My point is just get the best center for us, comming out next year.
Also if this is Antawns last year,because I would not give him more than next years full MLE, AB must be able to score in the post. If he cant then I would trade him and the poet. Our offensive post presents probably has to come from the 4 spot. Is AB cabable? We will see

Posted by: d square | August 5, 2007 11:40 AM

Above-

From D Square- Shut up! ignorant jack a**
Ivan ignore him!

Posted by: d square | August 5, 2007 11:46 AM

Getting Hibbert next year would be an absolute natural for the Wizards, but they still need to shore up at Center this year if they are going to show the level of improvement it will take to keep Gilbert Arenas from jumping ship... And yes, signing Stevenson and hyping Nick Young clearly both seem to have been moves to placate Gilbert. PJ Brown still has some gas left in his tank. Nazr Mohammed might be better suited to the Wizards game than in Detroit. And Etan might feel motivated if EG (who is a fine GM) finds a way to dump Haywood on somebody for a couple of second rounders. Antawn is a keeper, D or no D.

Posted by: khrabb | August 5, 2007 11:47 AM

d Square - don't get me wrong, I think Thabeet has a bigger upside than Hibbert... and I agree with you that we don't need another scorer - but if you read some of the reviews of both prospects(and I'll admit that those can be misleading), most say that Thabeet needs to do a lot of work. One guy said he didn't seem to improve over the summer which shows a lack of work ethic.

Everyone raves about the way Hibbert does his work, his improvement from year to year, and the fact that he's fundamentally sound. I remember when they were saying the same things about Tim Duncan.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think the Wiz need a guy at center that works hard (both on and off the court), has great size, plays good defense, and can contribute right away.

Thabeet could turn out to be a tremendous NBA player - his potential is so high. But we've had guys here with tremendous potential, and poor work habits before.

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 11:51 AM

Camby would be a good fit---salary wise and for his D, rebounding and shot blocking. Not sure we have the assets since Denver is reportedly looking for salary relief. Haywood, Baltche,2 1st rounders and filler might get it done. If AJ is reasonable we might be able to retain him and gilbert with that move. JO will cost us too much in a trade IMO.

Posted by: wizfanatic | August 5, 2007 11:54 AM

The reason that someone would want Jamison during the season is that his contract represents cap room in the summer and that team might be willing to trade a very good (but somewhat overpaid) player to get it. If we are so worried about the luxury tax, I don't see how the Wizards can retain Jamison at all with Gilbert's salary going up and the possibility of picking up Pech and Young in the near term. I just wish Abe wasn't so adverse to going over the damn thing.

Posted by: George Templeton | August 5, 2007 12:01 PM

Posted by: | August 5, 2007 11:25 AM

BS Mr. Anon... wouldn't work salary wise and with the wiz up against the cap... now if it were etan and 2 first rounders....well then that might work

Posted by: Dante | August 5, 2007 12:17 PM

Just hate anon posters that put up supposed "inside" information.

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 12:26 PM

Latest from my sources is that Miami is looking to trade Shaq to Washington for a second round pick in the 2008 draft.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2007 12:26 PM

See? Anyone can post ANYTHING anon....

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 12:28 PM

I can't believe people are whining over a guy whose entire professional career consists of festering in Europe playing with and against pasty white stiffs. He's a worn pair of Wranglers with a Gucci label. The sole reason he's even getting an NBA contract is because Pau Gasol needs somebody to chat with about bullfighting.

I wish people around here would just clam up with all the silly nonsense. They got a first-round pick for essentially nothing. It's like cleaning your sock drawer for the first time in five years, and stumbling over a long-forgotten wad of cash sitting at the bottom. It's found money. For God's sakes, compared to retarded Special Olympics general managers like Kevin McHale and Danny Ferry, Grunfeld is a freakin' Einstein.

Posted by: TomT. | August 5, 2007 12:47 PM

Rook
You win,I do think that if we could get Hibbert that would be best for us. Good offensive game take up space few blocks, few rebounds.But he needs a athletic freak next to him a transition dunk waiting to happen after block shot. Someone who can run, with a defensive mind state,that can play the 4 spot (Devon Hardin from CAL).

Posted by: d square | August 5, 2007 1:07 PM

d-square -

Blatche can certainly fill that role, if he gets his head on straight and adds some muscle.

DMac is certainly athletic enough, just not sure, at 6' 8" that he can defend the really bug pure power forwards. I think he'd be better as a 3, posting up. He's got good moves around the bucket, and he's a finisher.

Pech can run a bit, but I wouldn't exactly call him "athletic", and the same can be said about DSong.

So, not knowing EG's master plan, we've got some good shooters (AJ, Gil, DS, Pech, DSong, Young), and some slashers (Caron AJ), and some post up players (Caron, DSong, DMac). If you add a post up big man, and a lock-down defender at the 4, the team would look eerily similar to the inside-out game of San Antonio.

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 1:38 PM

Even though andray is kinda small (not height, i mean muscle and wieght), doesnt anyone besides me see him being able to take the starting C spot away from brendan/etan?

Posted by: TDAV | August 5, 2007 3:47 PM

I'd caution against the notion that we need a center that has no offensive skills. Remember Motombo at NJ in the Princeton? Not real memorable was it?
Though we don't need a center to put up big offensive numbers, we need one with hands, court vision, and the ability to hit a wide open 10 to 12 footer. Since the Princeton is a movement offense all 5 players have to be able to catch and pass the ball.
Blatche has all the tools to be the 4 that we need and Pecherov could mature into an effective 4/5. And Songalia already gives us the smallball center Eddie so loves. Little by little Haywood and Thomas's playing time in the Princeton will dwindle next season.
Here or not Thomas and Haywood are not that big of a part of next year's plans anyway.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 3:51 PM

GM - I respect your insights.

What is your opinion of drafting Hibbert to fill the 5 spot? He has good hands, but I haven't seen enough of him to tell if he would be good in the Princeton. I know he has good offensive moves and can play with his back to the basket.

Posted by: Rook | August 5, 2007 4:21 PM

Speaking of a serviceable big man, I'm surprised Les BouleS didn't go after Mikki Moore in the offseason. When he played against us last season, he was very active and did good things. I think he may be better than anything we have, especially on a consistent basis, and his dollar numbers weren't out of whack compared to the stiffs we currently have on our team. I think NJ may have taken one of our stiffs instead of having one less guy now.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 4:24 PM

As much as I want Hibbert on this team, it's really a pipe dream. Les BouleS most likely won't be bad enough to make it to the lottery, and Grunfeld would have to give up some good players in order to get up that high. Getting a high draft pick doesn't come often, and it's unlikely we will be in a position to get him. I like Hibbert, and more than held his own against Oden during march madness.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 4:26 PM

AB as center won't work. He's not a back to the basket kind of guy. He's tall and long, and not super thin at 248 lbs, but a guy with his skills would be wasted as a center unless he's playing on a team like the Suns or the Warriors.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 4:30 PM

Rook-
We are in agreeement that the best player that is comming out of this year draft that's best for the Wiz is Hibbert. I feel McNasty is a 3 although and can only help out on the 4 spot.To me Antawn is not going to be around after this year anyway, and he even understand that.Most of the bloggers here feel that the Wiz are short a few pieces (4 & 5 spot).We most likely will fix at least the 5 spot in the up comming draft(so most of you get off the camby stuff).That again leaves the starting 4 spot.
I understand that we must give AB at least 1 year to prove himself after Antawns departure.Because you dont give someone who is not a starter a 5 year contract.But I dont believe in him(I hope that I am wrong)I think once he get his contract that he will not dedicate his self to his game. To many things that arent important in life, he struggles to let go. And I belive these things will harm him in the future because he has a contract.So I dont believe he will be the answer at the starting 4 spot.Devon Hardin and Hibbert can mesh together almost like Pat Ewing and Micheal Gram, in the old Hoya days.
Rook-
Check out some Cal games this year. I think you will easly see what I see. Hardin
will dunk on anybody in the NBA. He would not back down from Shaq either because of his nasty streek.

Posted by: d square | August 5, 2007 4:44 PM

"If we are so worried about the luxury tax, I don't see how the Wizards can retain Jamison ..."

George, you got it 100% right and this is why EG is trying to dump Etan and anyone else who sits the bench making more hten 4 mil a year.

They can't do all of that and stay under the tax without dumping a few people. Next summer is going to be very interesting, I sure hope Gilbert understands the situation.

So do you give Blatche a hefty contract after what happend knowing what next summer beholds???

I kinda wonder if EG is re-thinking things.

Ivan, you got any word on any of this?

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | August 5, 2007 5:27 PM

Trade gossip seems to be pretty tightly guarded. Not enough "loose lips" between all those agents, GMs, and staffs.

I just have this feeling EG is putting something together for some inside presence and it's killing me that we can't get some gossip.

The anon who mentioned wilcox & aldridge, did you pull that out of your ass or is that legit deals being discussed?

It's year 2007 and we can all find out what color panties Britney's wearing (if any) for any day of the week, but we can't find out who Grunfeld's talking to. Something's wrong about that .. :)

Posted by: DCW | August 5, 2007 5:29 PM

I'm wondering if AB's legal troubles are really that big of a problem? I mean they traded Chris Webber for smoking pot and then he becomes one of the biggest players in the West for Sac.

They need to not lose sight of the big picture here. We don't need a perfect saint. We just need someone who can kick some ass on the court.

Posted by: DCW | August 5, 2007 5:33 PM

anon is correct about the rumors of aldridge/wilcox for draft picks and obviously etan or haywood would have to be involved to make salaries work

Posted by: scoop | August 5, 2007 6:40 PM

Hibbert would have went from 8-12 this year if he'd have stayed in the draft according to many projections. How high he'll climb will depend on his and Georgetown's year and what the incoming freshmen do.
There's always someone new on the horizon that's the next big thing, a guy that's just a solid big man may have trouble cracking the top 5 if he doesn't flash Oden's athletic ability. But that may take some doing for the Wizards to deal theirselves up that high to get him if he goes real high.
Remember Pecherov is just 20 and was playing on a gimpy leg at Las Vegas, he could be a five in the Princeton if he can defend and rebound well enough. Ernie might be thinking he can get enough minutes out of Haywood and Etan this year to bring Pecherov along slowly as a 5.
Ernie's still looking for a deal to improve the team, but he's not desperate, he could go into the year with what he has and use the extra chips he's accumulated next offseason.
Grunfeld seems to have a plan in place to construct this team, other than Jamison our core is very young. But I don't agree that Jamison is in his last year here. I think he'll morph into our lead guy off the bench over the next two years to take advantage of his scoring ability.
Mikki Moore was a FA, we didn't have any money for FA's. The Nets weren't interested in a sign and trade with us, and Ernie was to smart enough not to want a 30 something year old that's had one good year in his career.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 6:52 PM

"Remember Pecherov is just 20 and was playing on a gimpy leg at Las Vegas, he could be a five in the Princeton if he can defend and rebound well enough."

My gut tells me that Opech is a "what you see is what you get" type of player. He's a typical euro player that likes to shoot and likes to move, not be inside. Only real euro player that has played the 5 well is divac and Z, but they are soft 5's. I don't think Opech is a passer of their caliber.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 7:04 PM

If Grunfeld gets rid of AB after his first legal infraction, that would be a mistake. How many chances did Rod Strick. get before he got booted out of here? Different management, but same owner.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 7:05 PM

My gut tells me when it's time to go to the bathroom. Apparently what most of us realize is just gas, others regard as instincts of some kind and it ends up getting typed here.
When the rest of us read it, it sounds just like what it is... nothing but hot air.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2007 8:16 PM

GM, you can play with the words and attack me personally all you want. Just make sure you don't get offended or cry about it when you get a dosage in return, as you typically do.

History though, has shown that none of these big men from europe are like what you hope for Opech to be, specifically a 5 that can "defend or play well enough." Too bad DUDE.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2007 8:49 PM

"I don't see how the Wizards can retain Jamison at all with Gilbert's salary going up and the possibility of picking up Pech and Young in the near term."

If Jamison's re-signed, the decrease in his annual salary will be more than the increase in Gilbert's, so the two would balance out. And they won't have to worry about re-signing Young or Pecherov for 4 years, at which point Jamison will likely be gone or on his way out, one way or another.

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 1:00 AM

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 1:03 AM

"Only real euro player that has played the 5 well is divac and Z... "

Arvydas Sabonis would have something to say about that.

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 1:13 AM

Unfortunately for Sabonis, he was well past his prime when he came to the NBA. His rep preceeded him. He's known for what he did in Europe, not the US. All I can recall of him was a young Shaq eating his lunch time and time again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 6, 2007 8:02 AM

Then you need to refresh your memory. The fact that Shaq got the best of him hardly qualifies as evidence he wasn't any good. Sabonis was on of the better Cs in the NBA for the better part of his (brief) NBA career.

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 10:24 AM

Sabonis was good in the NBA, don't get me wrong, but was not as good as he was pre-NBA. Looking at his stats surely wouldn't qualify him anywhere near the best of all time. Average points in the low teens and only once did he average 10 rebs. I'd venture to say Vlade had a better NBA career and Z is on the rise.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 6, 2007 10:48 AM

First, no one said Sabonis was anywhere near the "best of all time." Second, no one is disputing he was better before he came to the NBA (i.e., before all his knee problems). Third, Ilguaskas is hardly on "the rise" at 32 years old (in fact his numbers have fallen 3 years straight). Fourth, Sabonis' career numbers are slightly better than those of Ilgauskas (who has never averaged 10 rebs in a season, has a lower scoring avg. than Sabonis by a couple percentage points, and has shot a lower percentage in all categories). Fifth, no one said Sabonis had a better career than Divac. Sixth, even if any of what you said was actually true (and none of it is), none of it would be at all relevant to the issue at hand.

You said:

"Only real euro player that has played the 5 well is divac and Z..."

That's simply untrue. Sabonis played quite well. For most of his NBA career he was easily a top 10 player at the C position. The fact that he wasn't "the best of all time" or that he was better in Europe when he was younger doesn't change that. For the time that he played in the NBA, he played well.

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 1:09 PM

I think you're nitpicking way too much as usual. Didn't I say "Sabonis was good in the NBA?" If Sabonis' rep didn't preceed him to the NBA, he'd probably be just another forgettable big man euro player.

"Sabonis was on of the better Cs in the NBA for the better part of his (brief) NBA career."

That's not saying much. Besides Ewing, Olajuwon, Shaq, David Robinson, Zo, and Vlade, I can't think of many more memorable C's in the NBA during Sabonis' tenure. There's a sharp drop off after those aforementioned guys, which means it's not saying much to be considered "on of the better Cs in the NBA for the better part of his (brief) NBA career" especially if he wasn't as good as the players I mentioned above. Ok, so he's better than Mel Turpin, Mark Eaton, Kevin Duckworth, Greg Kite, Bill Cartright, Tito Horford, Rik Smits, etc. Big deal.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 6, 2007 1:25 PM

LOL!

Your ability to spin nonsense and dance around the truth knows no bounds.

So Sabonis sucks because he's not as good as a bunch of future (or current) HoFers? But somehow, according to what passes for your logic, that standard doesn't apply to Ilgauskas and Divac, both of whom are well behind Robinson, Ewing, Olajuwon, and Shaq.

Again, it's quite simple.

You said:

"Only real euro player that has played the 5 well is divac and Z...",/I>

And given the unarguable fact that Sabonis' career numbers are actually better than Ilgauskas', that statement is unquestionably false, no matter how many irrelevant comparisons and barely veiled half-truths you try to spin to cover it.

Posted by: kalorama | August 6, 2007 1:48 PM

C'mon, you're doing the spinning now!

"So Sabonis sucks because he's not as good as a bunch of future (or current) HoFers?"

Don't be silly dude. I already told you that Sabonis is a pretty good player, but you're claiming that I said he sucked.

He's surely not better than Vlade, who's retired, and jury is now out on Z who can become better. Get over your hangup with what Sabonis did during the olympics and overseas and you'll see that although he was a good player in the NBA, he surely wasn't better than Vlade and jury still out on Z, who went as far as the NBA championships last year. Something that Sabonis never really sniffed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 6, 2007 2:51 PM

DC Man, Rik Smits ring a bell?

Or are you not going to count him because he went to school in the States?

Point being: You're setting your own qualifiers and twisting them to fit your logic. Not only is the premise faulty (so there's never been innovation in the NBA? Huh? How it was automatically is also how it will be?), but it's also incredibly debatable, if not blatantly false.

Besides, Arvydas was highly underrated. Only once did he have a PER under 20 in his career. His per-game stats don't look as good because he didn't play as many minutes as he should have. Lots of centers got punk'd by Shaq, so that's not a viable defense. His ability to play on the perimeter was invaluable for the Blazers in the late 90s.

Posted by: Pradamaster | August 6, 2007 4:02 PM

Check the list above, I already mentioned Rik Smits.

Pradamaster, you wrote a lot above, but don't make any sense at all. Doesn't change the fact that Rikky would still be behind Vlade. You and others can debate each other to death about who's better between Rikky and Sabonis.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 6, 2007 7:13 PM

Why are we never talking about the elephant in the room: Brenda? How can we keep him and his childish attitude when they produce bad karma and erratic results? Will EG buy him out? Hope so!

Posted by: Stephanie | August 6, 2007 10:46 PM