Oh No, Not G.O.

Greg Oden is out for the season. What a blow to the Blazers and Rip City. I've got to make some calls, but this is terrible. I'll come back later with more.

By Michael Lee  |  September 13, 2007; 2:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Booth Bounces
Next: Down Goes Oden

Comments

OMG! I so called it. I said they should have drafted KD. Oden actually has one leg that's about 1.5 inches shorter than the other, and he looked really sluggish during march madness. I hope he comes back, but wouldn't be surprised if he never lives up to his potential. He's just a big guy who's got physical problems.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 13, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 13, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Sucks for them! Go Wiz!

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | September 13, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Way to predict a season-ending knee injury, DC Man 88.

Posted by: tp | September 13, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

What I predicted was that he has health issues. He's been hurt a long time, I think since his playing days at OSU.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 13, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like they'll be think in the middle.

I know a certain team round these parts that could definitely dump one of its Centers:

Option A) Cap Relief

Option B) Baby Relief

Any chance our men in the front office try to contact Portland to gauge interest in Etan or Baby Todd?

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 13, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

My early prediction is that Greg Oden will be out of the league by 2012. First of all, knee injury problems have been known to derail careers, some guys like Stoudamire bounce back, others like Kenyon Martin do not. Plus, Greg Oden since college has proved already to be an injury prone player, who on top of that has trouble staying in shape. Oden hasn't been in shape at all with Portland, his summer league performances and the fact that LaMarcus Aldridge has been completely dominating him has shown this. Not only that, but even in college, Oden was getting in foul trouble because he was not in shape. So, now he has a knee injury, how will he ever get in shape? If Oden is in the league getting more than 8mpg in 5 years, I'd be shocked.

I said from day one, the Blazers should have selected Kevin Durant with their first pick. First of all, they already had young, productive frontcourt bodies, in LaMarcus Aldridge and Zach Randolph. Not that Oden was the "wrong" pick, it just wasn't the ideal pick, it was a safe pick and supposed to be the low-risk pick. Blazers dealt away their only good player, at least they'll get the first pick next year...

Posted by: Jason | September 13, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

DAGGER!

Posted by: Buckhantz | September 13, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I believe Oden will be fine when he recovers, meanwhile the Blazers are likley to wind up with ANOTHER good draft choice. The Wiz still need help inside. Could Shawn Kemp merit a look?

Posted by: khrabb | September 13, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

definitely, Grunfeld should me on the horn trying to move one of our 5's to Portland.

Posted by: G$ | September 13, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

ok people saying he had injury problems during his entire OSU career, that was 1 year!!! look, I am not saying your wrong but a better argument would to say he has been hurt since high school. also, he wasn't out of shape, he was injured during summer league (which is another thing you could point to as example that he is injury prone). He had problems with his throat where he couldn't breathe, so thats why it seemed like he was out of shape. I am not against the Oden argument, just do it right. It's unfortunate what is happening to him because he has the tools to be a franchise center. There may be a Portland curse on the centers they draft having injury problems (Walton, Bowie, and now Oden).

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

aah tough cookies, anyways GO WIZ!

Posted by: DjB | September 13, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't feel too bad for Greg, he's got a guaranteed contract and he's six months from being eligible for social security.

Posted by: Doh! | September 13, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"If Oden is in the league getting more than 8mpg in 5 years, I'd be shocked." This is ridiculous, even for the comments section on this blog...

Posted by: kwamesnani | September 13, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

damn this is sad - seems like he's a good dude to root for, would have been fun to have a throw-back type center in the league. i'm hoping he makes a full recovery as soon as he can.

Posted by: steve colter | September 13, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"OMG! I'm so exicted! just how are we going to turn this thread into a new way to bash Gilby? the 88 thing will find a way! remember I called it! i'm so smart OMG!

Posted by: | September 13, 2007 05:05 PM "

Gilby is a suckee suckee ball hog!

There, you win! You called it!

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 13, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | September 13, 2007 04:14 PM

Yeah, Walton had terrible foot injuries, but he was healthy enough to win a championship in Portland and then later another in Boston. I see Oden recovering. He's very young, and the young heal faster.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2007 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Load him up with HGH and he'll heal super fast. My gut tells me a lot of NBA players do this to recover from their injuries. NBA drug testing isn't as tough as NFL.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 15, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse