A solid start

It would be foolish to get overly worked up over a preseason game but Wiz fans should feel good about tonight's 81-62 win here in Cleveland. The Cavs shot 30.6 percent (yes, they missed some open looks but the Wiz were active in closing out on shooters, generally closed down the lane and rebounded well) and the 62 points were the second fewest ever allowed by the Wiz in a preseason game.

Andray Blatche showed you folks who watched some of what I was seeing all last week in Richmond. He looks more confident, more energetic and more skilled than at any point during his first two seasons. The game turned when Eddie went to his second unit which consisted of Daniels, Mason, McGuire, Blatche and Songaila ( and later in the second quarter, Pecherov). Daniels and Songaila are uncanny when running that pick-and-roll, McGuire was aggressive but under control at both ends and Pesh was so aggressive, the vets were giving him a hard time in the lockeroom after the game, noting that he attempted 12 shots (he made four of them and missed several wide open looks I saw him make last week at camp).

Daniels: "Pesh was gettin' 'em up boy. 12 shots? Man." Clearly he's not intimidated by NBA competition.

Arenas is working off some rust and some of that burst isn't all the way back yet but he was active with his hands on defense (four steals and number of deflections) and he moved the ball well in ending up with four assists.
Gil: "It was cool. My wind was there and that's what I was really concerned about. I went out there and tried to let it loose, try to get back some of that momentum and see how the game feels again."

Eddie Jordan was pleased with the defense. "We were really active with our hands, we got deflections, created some turnovers and we played with a lot of effort. I was really pleased.

No practice tomorrow but I'll check back in with some more from the notebook.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 9, 2007; 10:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas will start
Next: Thomas to Undergo Aortic Valve Surgery

Comments

great game

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

it was a great game by the wizards but im glad they played areans for 21 minutes and not any longer. i no is preseason and everything but insted of running like they do they play ok everybody is coming back from injury type offense but they played a great game tonight

Posted by: brandon | October 9, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The 2, the 2, the 2...what will we do?

a) When DS is out, slip Gilbert over and give AD more PT at 1.
b) Try AJ at the 2, since he's going to be firing away from there anyway.
c) Tell Memphis we were just kidding.
d) Hire-a-pimp to sit behind the Wizard's bench, packing heat.
e) Bring back Jeff Malone; or better yet Kevin Grevey.
f) Pray.

Posted by: oddjob | October 9, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I came away from that game thinking that Dominic McGuire is the best draft pick the Wiz have made in years--that guy is going to be a beast at both ends. Blatche had some nice moments too, like that offensive rebound that he turned into an and-1. Pecherov needs to develop some post moves and stop shooting threes all the time, but he's a lot better on D and the boards than I had expected. I would have liked to see Nick Young attack the basket more, but his j looks sweet.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 9, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

His shooting not withstanding, I was impressed by Pecherov. He looked a lot quicker and more athletic than he did in summer league. He ran the floor well and moved his feet on defense.

So is anyone still under the delusion that Taylor is a PG?

And the guards really need to stop dumping the ball into Haywood and Massenburg in spots on the floor where they don't have a prayer of doing anything with it. If they have to do anything more than put it on the floor once (at most) and turn and shoot, then just don't give it to them. Asking them to do anything more is a turnover waiting to happen.

Posted by: kalorama | October 9, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear about the hustle on D. It's only preseason, but it's a start.

Posted by: akmed0 | October 9, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan,

When you say that Gilbert is doing well but that not all of the burst is there yet, how worried should we be? I always thought what made him a special player was that explosive first step that let him get a lane to the basket.

If it's not back yet, will it come back? I'm not trying to be negative. I honestly don't know how long something like this really takes...

Posted by: Washington Ball | October 9, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young is such a flop. The man cant create for any teammates, and cant do a thing besides score. No D, cant pass, doesnt rebound, cant step in passing lanes. He cant even crack the top 11 rotation for the pre-season, and he was picked #16 in the 1st round. Oh well, you win some and lose some. At least we got the steal in McGuire in round 2 to make up for it.

Posted by: Roman | October 9, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

The Dominator looked great, Pesh is a strange looking dude but can play, but thanks for the early warning on Nick the Dribbler. Where was he when the defense was handed out?

Posted by: joe c | October 9, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Very impressive first effort.
The defense intensity and system was light years ahead of last year.
Yes the Cavs missed some shots, but they had very few open ones, the Wiz closed down quicker than ever.
Blatche, Pech, Mc and Young, all look like a solid bench along with DS and AD.
See nothing from Massenburg or the rest of the scrubs.
Would rather see the young bigs fighting for time.
BH looked solid, and most importantly enthusiastic and energetic.
I disagree with Ivan on GA's defense, he still backs off his man too much, and thus allows open jumpers too often, and AJ also just does not have the quick feet to close without being out of defensive position.
I can see many times where the 2nd unit, if EJ will alow them, will be more effective the starters.
I think this will all come down to EJ's security in allowing enough time to be spread, or gets into that fighting to hold his job mode, and wears out the "stars".
Best cast we have had since the Bullet era.

Posted by: mricklen | October 9, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Since it is the best cast we have had, then; I suspect EJ will play the 2nd unit much like he did tonight. Do not understand how EJ continually received criticism for not playing what turned out to be a very bad bench. This season is a much better test.

What was curious if not a question mark was Roger Mason. He simply missed his open shots. I see Nick getting PT sooner than we thought if Mason cannot hit his shots...confidence. BH was good for one game. While he has the ability, the main arguement with him has always been staying consistent and energetic over several games, thus; he remains to be seen.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

We're clearly getting mixed messages about Gilby. According to Buckhantz, he said Gilby says he's back 100%, and then Ivan reports here that Gilby is rusty and doesn't have burst yet.

Even before that, we heard how he dominated the Barry Farms league with 50+ points and dunking on 9ft. rims. In this game, he goes 2-12 and looked a step slow. Daniel Gibson had Gilby chasing him around.

Oh well, such is life for the quirkster.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Great first pre-season game...
I was really impressed with McGuire/Blatche/Pecherov/Haywood... and the overall team defense displayed...

If this is any indication of things to come, my expectations need to be re-evaluated. Randy Ayers must be getting through to these players, another great pick-up.

Posted by: Les Bullet | October 10, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Told you people. I built that damn bandwagon from scraps. Nice to see the thing can roll a little bit. The Dominatormobile...

On Gil. Actually I think it could be a positive thing that he can't dominate the games yet. I think this could force anotehr step int he maturation process as he learns better how to set up his teammates and take the shots that the defense gives you. Sounds like he quickly picked up tips and pointers on that front from the old yoda Pete Carill.

Then later, it'll be twice the deadly weapon when he's back 100% as players got to guard on the shot and the pass and the drive.

Posted by: doclinkin | October 10, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I was relieved after watching the game, it looks like our Wiz team will finally play some D this year. I forget the actually tally but I believe we racked up somewhere along 7-8 blocks today.

Haywood did a great job, plus we didn't see any of his 15 foot fadeaways. Dom looks like a BEAST for a rookie. Pech did a pretty good job and its good to know that he plays with heart - did you see his gangly frame trying to guard Drew Gooden?

And Roman, I think its a little too early to call Young a complete flop. It's pretty obvious that he's in 3rd place between the rookies but still, most legit nba players dont truly blossom til around their 3rd-4th year. Some GREAT players blossom even later a la Steve Nash. Hopefully, with some hard work, Young will be able to contribute for our team in the near future.

Go Wiz!

Posted by: David | October 10, 2007 1:14 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE IGNORE DC MAN88. DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM OR ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. HE IS a racist, RUDE, VULGAR, AND MOST OF HIS POSTS ARE INAPPROPRIATE TO THIS BLOG.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Doclinkin

Props to you indeed. In a post earlier this week I had indicated that it had been someone else who had been the one to rave about D-Mac on draft day - and had noted that the optimism seems to have been well founded. Thanks for reminding us that it was you... While it is still early, what is most impressive about D-Mac so far is that he is able to make an impact in a lot of different ways, and doesn't need to have the ball in his hands to do so. As I posted previously, the aspect that he (and Pesh) bring that has been missing from the Wiz the past couple of years is offensive rebounding. I know that this is a huge stretch, but he reminds me a bit if Adrian Dantley (yes, I'm showing my age) in this respect. He just seems to know where to be on the floor and under the basket to make things happen...

Posted by: PK1 | October 10, 2007 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Defense takes a lot out of you. Anyone expecting Gil to average the same amount of points as last year AND play good D is gonna be disappointed. If he gives us 23-24 and solid defense, this team will probably be better. We seem to be deeper than any team in the league with quality players. If we play them all and give the bench consistenet minutes, our starters will be fresh and we should win 50+ games easily. Also, we need to continue to run when possible to take advantage of the deep bench. It'll wear other teams down.

Posted by: mark | October 10, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

So-far it looks like Nick Young will be a slightly improved Jarvis Hayes. Young's game appears to be limited to just shooting and not much else.

I am shocked to see a much a improved BTH, he somehow has developed a few post moves over the Summer.

The tall-ball line-up was sweet.

Posted by: Wizzy | October 10, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Watched the game last night and was very impressed with the 2nd unit. They outplayed Cleveland to the point where Brown reinserted his starters and they still hung with the starters somewhat. I was very impressed with Dominic and I think in time Young Hollywood is going to do well. Dominic seems to be the most ready to contribute between the two. Strong games from Haywood,Blatche, Songalia and Pesh. I also loved that shot by Gil at the end of the 2nd Qtr. After the game Jordan was like "He's backkk" Too funny. As for the poster who said Gil did not get many points, well, neither did Lebron. So there! And Gil also had 4 assists and two steals.

Anyway great start to the preseason. Hopefully they will keep up the defensive intensity next game. Can't wait for the season's opener. I'll be parked right in the phone booth. Oh, I can't forget Daniels, played very solid. I like what I saw. I just hope that it will continue into the season.

Posted by: Lady Wizz | October 10, 2007 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Nice workman like effort last night. The Wizards came out and worked on the things they wanted to do, everyone got their time in and nobody got hurt.

Biggest thing I saw last night that points to success, Randy Ayers sitting in the front row beside Jordan who had his two lead assistants on each side of him. Ayers was calling at assignments to players, taking notes, and coaching during time outs.

And a couple of times I noticed different guys, including Arenas seeking him out at time outs talking about defense. The effort was there on defense, no it wasn't perfect but the guys were working at it.

I wouldn't get overly excited about Cleveland's shooting percentage, ours wasn't good either. Shooting will come as we play more games and guys get their legs and timing.

Massenburg may be in great shape, but last night he looked 40 on the court. He's going to have to show more to make the team. Since he's been training with Etan he could be here as a stand in if Etan and the Wizards are thinking that the heart thing is something he can play with.

Haven't heard much in regard to Etan, the longer he's out the more I'd tend to think it's not going to be good news for him and the Wizards. If he is out for the year, Grunfeld might have to be watching the waiver wire carefully.

Taylor really looks uncomfortable trying to run the team from a set. He just doesn't seem to me like he's a point guard, and I'm not sure he shoots well enough to play at the two.

The rookies and Blatche all looked really good for their first time out and Songalia and Daniels have really seemed to have gotten the pick and roll game going. Lots of hope for an improved bench.

Docklinkin should get some kind of award for calling the McGuire pick, when we got him I wondered if the guy could make the transistion from a big in college to playing alot in the open court in the Pros.

Boy does he look sweet, if depth at the two becomes a problem putting Caron and T Mac out there at the same time could be a solution. McGuire looks to be a guy that is going to force Eddie to find playing time for him.

With Brendan, Blatch and T Mac out there at the same time we are really long up front for a change. I also noticed Blatche and Pecherov got some time together, Ray's got to be loving some of those combo's on the court.

And that wasn't a huge brace on Arenas's knee, first he was using heat to keep it warm when he was going to go back in. Then they iced his knees on the bench when they had pulled him from the game.

Useally most guys ice in the lockerroom, I noticed that several Wizards where iced on the bench once they were done for the night. Another crisis solved...

Posted by: GM | October 10, 2007 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Yippeee!!!!

When did EG trade DMac for TMac?

Oh, BTW, it's clear to me, as I said before, that it's beneficial for les players to play in these preseason games and get coaching in the game, as they did from Ayers yesterday. Only coaching done at the poor man's And1 Tourneys is which corner store's got the best price on chips and soda.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Great defense! Despite the poor competition of "Cavs-lite." Depth will hopefully mean stronger, healthier big 3 in the spring.

Props to you, Doclinkin, for reminding us that the DMac bandwagon started with you. I jumped on real quick after seeing his pre-draft video but you got it started. I couldn't remember who made that first post the day after the draft.

For those worried about the 2 spot I just say stop worrying about offense. We have enough. We just need Stephenson to play tough D and hit a few open jumpers to keep them honest. When he is really cold put Mason in if he can hold his own on D. And I will say it again, during crunch time there is the option of moving Caron to the 2 and Dmac at the 3.

I think with our deeper bench Coach will have to fiddle around with matchups to get the best team on the court till he gets a solid rotation. We should give him a little space here for a few months. We need to see who plays well together, which rookies will hit the wall and become useless. Injuries always pop up that neccesitate adjustment as well. I just hope we never see any Jamison at the 5 again! We have 5 other guys who can fill that role. Looks like small ball with AJ in the hole should be a thing of the past...Hallelujah!!!

Posted by: BmoreRev | October 10, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the game:

- Defense! I *loved* the way the big men consistently stepped out on the pick and roll. They didn't let up on that.

- Busy hands on defense. Lots of blocks, lots of swatting at the ball. Very active.

- I thought Blatche looked like the best player on the court for stretches. Intimidating defense, nice moves around the basket on offense. Got called for traveling a couple of times, but showed great quickness for a guy his size.

- McGuire will be a top sub early in the season. He was outstanding.

- Pech was very aggressive. Not afraid to shoot for a rook. I'd like to see him in the post more, not floating around the perimeter. It'll come for him, though.

- I'm going to scream if one more person buries Nick Young. Take a deep breath and exhale, people. It's going to take some time, but you simply can't project his future yet. Not many rookies look good this early. That's life.

- I liked the big lineup when it was on the floor, i.e. Pech, Blatche, Haywood. Intimidating defensively, and they shut down Cleveland when they were in. Too bad Eddie won't use it come the regular season, when he decides, game after game, that smallball is how you win.

Overall, nice first effort. Now they need to build on it.

Randy Ayers for president.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 10, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Smallball is gone! Tallball is in !

Loved the lineup with Haywood, Blatche and Pecherov in at the same time. And the lineup with Blatche, McGuire and Songalia was real good too.

GM - You said it first (before I could, dang it), but it looks like Ayers is going to be allowed to make a difference. He was coaching during time outs, and yelling instructions during the game.

doclinkin - Props on the DMac thing. When we drafted him, I thought "he's a scrub". Then I saw some good things in the Summer League. Heard some more good things in camp; and yesterday he showed some more. Has there every been a RoY that was a second rounder? (grin)

Last year, we lost so many games because our bench could not be counted on to maintain a lead. Eddie had to fiddle around with the rotations to keep 2 of the big 3 in the lineup all the time.

The second unit that Eddie used in in the 2nd quarter last night (AD, Mason, Blatche, Songaila and McGuire) played solid on offense and were smothering on D. - AD was steady as ever, Blatche is for real, Songaila looks quicker and smoother, and McGuire looks like he's gonna be a monster.

Bodes well for this year to have such a deep bench. Fewer minutes for the starters. We have so many good looking forwards, with different skill sets, that other teams are gonna have match up problems. (Maybe Eddie can learn to make the other teams adjust, instead of trying to match up with what THEY do)

Posted by: Rook | October 10, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

One more thought.

Assuming Haywood plays more minutes than last year, and that McGuire earns time in the rotation, and with the improvement that Blatche has shown; the Wizards could lead the league in blocked shots.

Posted by: Rook | October 10, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The one thing I took from last night's game is that the Wizards bench is MUCH, MUCH, better then Cleveland's

"I also noticed Blatche and Pecherov got some time together, Ray's got to be loving some of those combo's on the court."

Yup, and I'm always in favor of a big lineup which is why something in Ivan's column today has me concerned:

"We're utilizing an offense where we may have three smalls [guards] and two bigs [forwards and centers], so they're pretty much interchangeable." says Jordan.

*sigh*

I would love to see them go "big" at times with thier front court when Caron or Jamison goes to bench for a rest. They have the bodies to do that now, I guess we'll have to wait and see how that is going to develope when the season starts.

My thinking is if they go big when the Big 3 are resting it would be difficult for the other team to make a run while they sit.

"Massenburg may be in great shape, but last night he looked 40 on the court."

Lol, yeah I thought the same thing. :)

"Props to you, Doclinkin, for reminding us that the DMac bandwagon started with you."

Agreed.

Admittedly, I was skeptical on the DMac pick because of the schedule they played but he could be a great find. I'll happily eat crow on that. :)

I just want the season to start and see how this all comes together. As Ivan said, it's just pre-season but I like the bench a lot more this year then last that's for sure.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 10, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I was encouraged by the game, but then I read this from Ivan this morning:

"We're moving more towards calling them big men and not necessarily calling them centers or power forwards," Jordan said. "We're utilizing an offense where we may have three smalls [guards] and two bigs [forwards and centers], so they're pretty much interchangeable. They can all do different things to help us."

Here we go again. Notice Jordan's focus is solely on offense, and he apparently learned nothing last year about what happens when you stick a power forward in at center. Also, that quote is a bunch of bull. Have you ever seen Jordan put a lineup out there for more than a minute that doesn't have a point guard? As a former point guard, he realizes the importance of having a point guard on the floor. He obviously doesn't realize the importance of having a center out there.

On a related note -- Ivan, you made an error in your article. You said, "Songaila, whose ability to rebound, dribble, pass and shoot makes him an ideal big man for Jordan's system...." I'm sure you meant to say, "Jordan's OFFENSIVE system."

Posted by: Henry | October 10, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

We think alike, Ray.

Posted by: Henry | October 10, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Yes Sirrr!!! This team looks like it has the "goods" this season. Very impressed all the way around. EJ even seems a little bit more "flexable" this year now with his lineups.

Donnel Taylor, I like ya bro, but you stunk it up last night. That one spot in the game where there were four possessions in a row DT totally screwed up even with bad shots or poor passing decisions.

On the fifth possession of that bad series for DT, Nick Young got so pissed with DT gunning he came down got a pass and "jacked up" a long "J" without even looking to pass.

EJ then got pissed with NY and quickly yanked him out. EJ later put NY back in at about the 3 minute mark in the 4th quarter.

Now why EJ did not yank out DTaylor I do not know. EJ clearly was sending a message to NY to stay in the flow of the offense. I think NY was feeling the pressure of his boy DMac doing so well in the game.

I am a huge NY fan, and I think he will be something to deal with for opposing teams next year. I think some games down in the D league will help him with his timing and his adjustment to NBA game speed situations.

However, if Mason (who I like also) keeps missing those "j's" that he is known for hitting, NY can then look forward to some nice minutes off of the pine playing the backup two guard and learning on the job.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | October 10, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"We think alike, Ray."

Eek! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 10, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

roman, Nick Y. is the fifth option at guard of course he wont crack the rotation yet, mellow out

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | October 10, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts during summer league were that Nick Young, celebrating like he just won the national championship after every dunk, was talented but rather immature. It's going to take this guy a while, but the talent is there.
Good thing we've got Jarvis and JCN to man the backup 2 spot in the interim. Oh wait.
If Mason can't hold the backup SG position down, as someone noted above I think that will mean Gilbert will see some time there, and maybe Caron and McGuire can play there too.

Posted by: Sean | October 10, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Good game, but Pecherov needs to learn that he cannot take more shots than Gil on this team! :)

AB played well, shows that he is ready to contribute this season. Etan's injury well help AB get his steady minutes. Haywood played well too, 8 rebounds 3 blocks, that's what we need from him.

McGuire is the most ready to contribute this season among the rookies, he can come off bench and provide energetic boost, especially on the defense end with his shot blocking ability.

Taylor is a disappointment. I thought he would show that being with the team for the 3rd year, he knows how to run Eddie's offensive and secures the 3rd PG position. Instead he came down court and jacked up shots (1 of 4), or dribbled the ball out of bound. He only made one good play by lobbing an ally-oops to McGuire (yes, ally-oops is back with the Wizards now). Mason did not play well either, missed all the shots. But Mason has the guaranteed contract, so Taylor is in more danger of being cut.

Posted by: Sagaliba | October 10, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Watching the game with my son last night, after Taylor had been in a few minutes, I asked him "So, do you think Eddie will cut Donnell tonight or tomorrow?" Hard to believe he hasn't learned anything in his time here.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 10, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Great to see the Wizards back on the court.

hurry up October 31!

Posted by: Andrew | October 10, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"WHO'S NEXT?!?!?!"

Les BoueleS looked good last night, moreso the second team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Ernie messed up big-time by not locking up Aaron Miles out of summer league, Brian Chase is with Miami, and now we are stuck with DT by default - we have no 3rd PG.

Ernie shouldn't waste anymore time and cut DT after pre-season. There are plenty of guys in the D-League/overseas who can be a developing 3rd PG for us.

Posted by: Wiz_on_U | October 10, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I see now why Harvey Grant was fired. Blatche's physical development is almost nonexistent.

Running these big men versus second line centers isn't a big gamble. Sending them into the game versus first team centers when Haywood gets in foul trouble will be. Thats reason enough to have Massenburg available.

First preseason game, I saw help defense. it looked weird to see from the Zards. Its a start.

Posted by: Monte | October 10, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Blatche, Songaila, OPec, Haywood, Arenas, Butler, Jamison, DMac, and AD. Hell of a rotation, and I'm not including Stevenson and NiYo because Stevensons a bum and NiYos still got to learn the ropes. It doesnt matter though b/c our solid rotations strong enough to win the East!

Posted by: Emmet | October 10, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Wiz_on_U, Ernie was dancing the line to get Blatche and Stevenson resigned and still sqeeze under the Luxury Tax Threshold.

I'd agree either Chase or Miles would have been a better option than Taylor. But Miles got more money in Europe then we were going to pay for a third point and Chase supposedly got a partial quarentee at Miami.

There might be someone that gets cut loose that's a better play making option than Taylor. I'd agree with everyone else he looked terrible in the role last night.

I've never been very high on him as a point but then Greg said he looked good in the scrimage, and I was hopeful that he'd worked on his point play.

He's a very atheltic guy, but he doesn't really shoot well enough to be useful off the bench as a spot up shooter and he's not steady enough as a point.He's also not a shut down defender that can come in and smoother a guy.

Just not seeing where he really fits in here, we may cut him and he'd go spend some time in D-League and somebody will pick-up a Gem. But he doesn't seem to be growing and developing here. And he really doesn't fit in a role that we have for him.

Don't think we could make his salary fit, but my guy Jaun Dixon would look good running with that second unit if Mason couldn't cut it. Toronto had him playing #3 point the other night against Boston running with the scrubs. Bet Jaun would can those open looks when he got them.

Posted by: GM | October 10, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that some of the wonderful things Dominic McGuire showed in Summer League are starting to translate. Do you think we will see more experimenting with the "tall ball" lineup and if it works we might even see it in the regular season.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 10, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Nick Young's going to be all right; don't sleep on him. He's just doing the typical thing rookies do: try too hard, dribble too much, shoot too quickly -- in other words, he's trying to force the game instead of letting it come to him. (Just like in Vegas, when he kept dribbling himself into double-teams.)

Even with the issues at the 2, the team's deep enough where he can get the hang of things.

Wonder how the "tall-ball" lineup 2nd unit and additional D will do Sat. night vs. Dallas at George Mason. I can't go, but anybody here going to check it out in person?

Posted by: iceberg | October 10, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

GM,

Given the choice, I would probably give Miles a guaranteed contract than to Mason.

Granted, NY is not ready yet, but he would still need PT to develop. So once you pencil him in for some backup SG time, not much PT remains for that slot. Besides, I think Gil and AD can be on the court together in some plays, Gil can score and let AD run the offense. And just in case if one of them goes down we would still has someone to run the offense. Forgot to mention in my earlier post, AD played well last night too.

Posted by: Sagaliba | October 10, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

i tink EG is better drafting 2nd rounders(blatche and DMac) that 1st rounders

Posted by: k | October 10, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young is dAbUST SAY IT LOUD

Posted by: smattak | October 10, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the game, but it's important to remember that Cleveland was short-handed and looking forward to its trip to China. I enjoyed seeing a consistent approach to (omigod) team defense, but, again, I'm concerned about how hard Cleveland was actually trying. I enjoyed McGuire, and to a lesser extent Blatche, but Pecherov and Young were selfish and disappointing. Washington playing twin- perhaps trip-towers is a really intriguing thought. I'll believe Haywood can play like he did for five games in a row when he plays like that for five games in a row. I'll look forward to seeing Arenas playing a couple of back-to-backs before I breathe any sighs of relief on that score. I was impressed by Daniels and Songaila, who I think would be the keys to the emergence of a "second unit." I was concerned that losing some of the bulk that Eddie used to rely on to (try to) protect the paint might be a problem, but keeping people from getting into the paint seems like a much better idea. If the nice surprises continue past the time it takes for opponents to get film, I think I'll feel pretty secure about my prediction of 49-50. (Somebody's got to explain to me about Massenburg.)

Posted by: Bill Carr | October 10, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What's to explain? He's a warm body to hold down the end of the bench and play spot minutes in case of injury, foul trouble, or garbage time. He won't be in the rotation.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

That may be true about Cleveland being short handed and true it is just one preseason game but I gurantee you that if the Cavs had beat the Wizz, the media would have been all over it! They played well and learned some defensive techniques in camp and it showed during the game. Let's give them a little credit for playing well and lets all hope and pray that they only get better. I still say...........GO WIZARDS!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young is just fine, probably in 3 years he will be the star of the team. All Allan Houston could do was shoot just like many others. When Juan Dixon came into the NBA all he could do was shoot, and he's still in the NBA. The kid is just a few months out of college. GIVE HIM TIME. Eddie doesn't play to many rookies anyway.

Posted by: DMCcALL | October 10, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiz_on_U | October 10, 2007 10:58 AM

You are right on this one Wiz_on_U. Miles had a real "nice" floor game. He clearly outplayed Chase and DT in that summer league this past summer.

I still do not see what the big deal is about Chase's game. He looks like an ordinary point guard to me, nothing more nothing less. I guess Shaq saw something, so who am I to argue.

I really liked DT and I have been pulling for him, but it is clear the dude is a "tweener" and that does not bode well on this team at this time. He can't play the "1" and does not have the "j" for the "2".

He has "quicks" like a dude who use to play with the Bullets back in the day. His name was Wes Matthews. The only difference is Wes Matthews had a "floor game" and a nice looking "j". DT's "j" still looks awful, plus it never goes in.

I wonder if his twin brother has the same ugly looking "j" DT has? Anyway, I have never seen DT look this bad before. I wonder if he is looking at the numbers and realizing he has to do something "big" to stay on the team?

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | October 10, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

GM,

As with you, I am one of the hugest Juan Dixon fans, in fact, he's actually been my favorite nba player of all time. (I guess that's b/c he won that NCAA Championship for us)

But I have to disagree with you on Dixon playing point. On any team, Dixon should solely be used as a spark off the bench. I'm not too sure he could effectively run an NBA team

Posted by: David | October 10, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

How in the world can Juan run the point if he only dribbles with one hand? Shoot first guards do not want to pass, and do not want to play defense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"I'd agree with everyone else he looked terrible in the role last night."

This is why I love this blog, people really understand the game here. I was literally just thinking the same thing as all of you. :)

We'll see how it goes, it was just the first pre-season game.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 10, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

pech seems to be just an average player. He shoot alot and...miss a lot too. i think everytime he got the ball, he always thought about jacking it up everytime, typical european player

Posted by: allen | October 10, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Some of the comments: Mason's poor shooting, so he won't be good off the bench; Pesh shot alot, missed alot, typical European player; NY, all he can do is shoot a little bit, can't pass, rebound.

Let's not be so quick to judge on one preseason game's worth of experience. Remember Pesh and NY are still rookies anyway, and NY did not really get that much time on the court.

Mason could have just had a bad night (although he did look alot like he did last year). Supposedly his shot is better this year - let's see how he looks after several games.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wes Matthews played above the rim at times and was much quicker than DT. Donnell appears out of control. I think he's pressing because we have so many guys ahead of him. He's never seeing the court (except for a premium view from the bench) after Nov 1 anyway so why not shoot ? Also, I'd rather see Pech shoot too much than not shoot enough (Don MacLean). Did anyone else notice that JCN was 8-14 with 5-8 from 3 point land to lead his team in scoring last night. I know it's against foreign competition and it's preseason but....

Posted by: mark | October 10, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"If anything, Les BouleS should have not signed DS and signed Stevie Blake instead."

Blake would have had something to say about that, specifically, he would have said "no."

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Just read a article on cnnsi about Al Horford and came across this quote from an Atlanta asst. coach... "He can really put the ball on the floor," says Bender, who believes Horford's dribbling skills compare favorably with those of Hall of Fame center Wes Unseld."

HUH ?!! Was Wes considered to be a good dribbler? I know he's famous for outlet chest passes but would never have mistaken him for Curly Neal.

Posted by: mark | October 10, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Money talks though. He thought he deserved a big pay day, but didn't get it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

On monte's comment about Harvy Grant being in charge of developing the big men last year,I think the wizards picked the wrong twin for that job.They should have gotten Horace.Haywood looked good last night,but his problem has always been doing it every game.The backups looked strong at every position except the 2.I do not feel that Mason will get the job done. Nick Young will get his PT there.The defensive rotation & ablity to close down the lane looked impresive.Blatche looked like Stodemire jr.last night,but what happens when we play Miami(shaq)or Orlando(Howard)on one of Haywoods off nights?

Posted by: dcpirate1 | October 10, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

funny how everyonr seems to think niyo(nick young I like that nick name)is a bust when he hasn't even play 1 offical game yet.Glad you guys are not our talent evaluators or we would be screwed!!!!!! give him time to adjust to the game.major difference between nba and ncaa but even at this point he is and upgrade from injured list hayes.Course you r the same people who thought we should give up on blatche also.remember u think he is a bust when he drops 20. don't come on here writing how great he is cause your a talent seeing machine arn't you? just ask yourself he'll tell you

Posted by: jcrock | October 10, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree with everyone else he looked terrible in the role last night."

We'll see how it goes, it was just the first pre-season game.

Ray
____________
Are you kidding? Knowledgeable? Oh, I forgot what selfserving comment that was. This blog is like any other, filled with folks who think they can coach or GM better than the folks who are in those jobs. Do not mistake fan enthusiasm for knowledge of the game!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

And considering he was making just over $1 mill/yr last season, a 400% jump is a pretty big payday.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

People need to chill on the conclusions from preseason game one.

Posted by: greg | October 10, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You can reach some conclusions from a game like this, but you can't reach them from looking at the stats or the box score. There were some definite, observable positives and negatives from the way guys played that.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

David you miss understood me. I meant Juan would look good at the two with that second unit if Mason couldn't cut it.

By that I meant running beside Daniels not instead of Daniels. Dixion is good enough at the point to serve as a Combo guy behind Arenas and Daniels but I wouldn't consider him a backup point.

He might even be quick enough to guard some of those pesky mighty mights that always give us trouble. He'd sure be quicker than Mason or Taylor.

What I was meaning about Dixion is that we've lacked a good instant offense guy since he left. He left here hoping to be a starter and it hasn't worked out for him. And now it appears he's kind of buried on the Raptors since they spent so much money on Kapono as a three point shooter.

Teams and players don't do do overs very often, but the Wizards second unit could look good with Dixon on it. I'm smart enough to know it will probably never happen, but I'd love to see him back here with this team.

Put him out on the court with Daniels, Songalia, Blatche and MacGuire and that could be a really dangerous second unit that Dixion's skills would blend in with.

Posted by: GM | October 10, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I have said Nick Young will indeed be a bust, but it isn't because of last night's game. I have thought this way from the start. I watched him in college, and he could get away with pure athleticism there and sort of ball-hogging. He also didnt seem to play too hard, almost too much of the laid-back So Cal persona. Didnt have that inner drive to be great.

What really got me worried was right before draft time, when Hollinger predicted NBA success from college stats. Nick Young, along with his teammate Gabe Pruit, were off the charts bad. It was astounding to see how bad their games translated to the league, and Hollinger said these two could bomb right out.

I know many of you hate Hollinger, but he has a point here. Young doesnt get steals, rebound, or pass very well. He is basically a guy like Francis or Marbury who dribbles himself into holes, and doesnt have good instincts to not get there in the first place, or pass the ball out.

As for the ratings, some of the guys Hollinger has projected over the years to be very good coming out havent done so well. But almost never has a guy who he has projected to flop every done reasonably well. So that is a huge warning sign.

I'm also sick of people saying just give him time, he is only a rookie. I dont buy all that. First off, he has more college experience, and got more playing time than most of the rookies in this class. Not to mention he played in one of the best conferences. It isnt like he was a freshman last year. Look at Rodney Stuckey, taken the pick right B4 Washington. Stuckey played at a tiny school, and played one year less of college ball than Young. Yet, Stuckey has adjusted very good so far, and it is alarming how good the reviews of him have been in Detroit. He is a bona-fide star in the making, and could be a top 5 pick if the draft were re-done today.

Now, it is unfair to compare Young to Stuckey totally, because Stuckey is one of those rare birds who slips through the cracks. I just think it is obvious watching Young in summer league, scrimmage, etc. that he doesnt know how to play the game properly. I dont think he has the mind-set to be great. If it takes so long for a rookie to adjust, then how come the 2nd rounder McGuire is doing so well???? People are just making excuses for Young because they dont want to believe their 1st round pick might not be very good.

Posted by: Roman | October 10, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"He is basically a guy like Francis or Marbury who dribbles himself into holes, and doesnt have good instincts to not get there in the first place, or pass the ball out."

If he turns out to be anywhere near as good as those guys (both of whom I've criticized greatly) at putting the ball in the basket, then he's nowhere near a bust. The problem with Marbury and Francis (aside from their huge egos and lousy attitudes) is that the NBA tried to turn them into playmaking, ballhandling, offense-running PGs, when they simply don't have the mentality for that. If, from day one, they'd been used as light it up scorers and had all the other stuff taken off their plates, they'd have fared a lot better.

If all Young can do is score, then that's what they should milk out of him. He wouldn't be the first NBA guard who made a living off the bench by putting up buckets in bunches. It simply remains to be sen whether he can adapt and adjust to the NBA well enough to do that.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Roman,

give Young a chance. one game with a few minutes of action by an anxious rookie off the bench and you base your theory on the thoughts of some sports writer? i agree he needs some seasoning. heck, so did Scottie Pippen for a few years. just because he was a first round pick doesn't mean he needs to come in and be great right away. the guy was an underclassman like many of today's nba rookies. the talent is there. let's just hope he's coachable and finds his niche. and like a previous poster said, if all he does is comes in and scores points in limited minutes, then he's not actually a bust. time will tell.

Posted by: G$ | October 10, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

It was just one pre-season game, I think it's too soon to declare anything OTHER then the bench players looked really good compared to the guys that were here last year at this time.

"I have said Nick Young will indeed be a bust, but it isn't because of last night's game."

I honestly haven't seen enough of Young's or DMac's game to know either yet. Taylor/Mason are different stories, they are experienced.

IFFFF Young can give some pop off the bench, great! That's all I think they are going to ask of him, not like they are going to ask him to carry the team.

Daniels will probably see more minutes this year anyway(I'm hoping). Again, couldn't be any worse then the guys that were here last year.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 10, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Romans, I think you make good points, and I totally agree that it's silly to make excuses for Young just because he's a rookie. I've been very concerned from what I've seen, just because it seems like he doesn't have the mental makeup to play within a team setting.

I only question the use of the term "bust," because it's hard for the 16th pick in the draft to be a bust. I'm not sure who would have worked better in that spot (Belinelli is just a European version of Young), and even if he turns out to be a 15-minute guy, that's about as well as we could have done there. Realistically, most 16th picks don't do much in the NBA.

But yes, it's time we stop making excuses for him. I worry that he won't figure things out, kind of like a certain someone who got banished to Detroit this offseason.

Posted by: Pradamaster | October 10, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Roman, you stated the case against NY very well. Given the position, a SG who will play limited minutes right now, we should have drafted Marco or Morris Almond, both ready-now players. Nick might very-well be a decent player in the future, but look how many years we wasted on Jarvis.

Anyone notice how Mason was shooting line-drive shots to the basket with zero arch?

Posted by: Wizzy | October 10, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I know it's fun to talk about Nick Young and all now since we're all fans but he's getting ZERO playing time this year so he's a moot point. They'd sooner play Blatche at SG than NY. We all know how EJ doesn't play rookies much. McGuire is an exception because he's tall, he rebounds and he plays defense. EJ will play him. NY is the 10th option on this team so whether he can play or not is kinda irrelevant for this season. That having been said, i don't like his game much either. Hopefully, he'll get better

Posted by: mark | October 10, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

i will say,

Donell did look a lot better in scrimmage.
Mostly because of his athleticism, and hustle on D. He was getting after the ball and I liked what I saw. I still say, this is 1 preseason game. Probably some nerves and pressing on his and NY's part.

We all know that DT hasn't looked really comfortable running the point, and without a better jump shot, it will be hard for him to play the 2. I'm sure the coaches see this too, question is, is there more to it? I don't have a hard time believing that these guys are showing something extra in practice. They are going to need to bring it to the game, but they are still young, and not every player develops at the same rate.

If Donell, NY or Roger can give us some mistake free basketball and play within themselves I think they will be OK for this season.

Posted by: greg | October 10, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 02:20 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young has not played in a regular season game yet.Give the rookie the benefit of the doubt,or would you rather have Jarvis back.Mason did not inspire my confidence with his play in the playoffs last year,or in his time on the court last night.Donnell Taylor may be good one day,but it will not be in a wizards uniform.So before we banish Nick Young to Siberia let's give him a chance to show progess like we do with other draft picks.

Posted by: dcpirate1 | October 10, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Not to get too caught up in the highs and lows of one preseason game, but one positive I will take note of is that AB looks like he will be a player this year and be part of EJ's regular rotation.

Posted by: Tim | October 10, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have Jarvis back than Nick Young, at least in the short run (the next couple years). Hopefully, though, Jordan and Co. will do their usual masterful job developing young players and ... oh, yeah, never mind.

Posted by: Sean | October 10, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"Blake proved his value with the Nuggets. Blake makes the team run and run better.

What did DS prove last year? What did he do during the playoffs? How did DS make anyone better?"

Uh ... what the hell are you talking about? Where, exactly, did I say anything to imply Stevenson was better than Blake? Nowhere? Then what's the point of that little rant? (If you'll recall, I was the one saying they should cut Stevenson loose rather than pay him what he was asking for.)

Who's better was never the issue. Blake left here because he wasn't getting enough PT. He wanted to be a starter and he was not going to be a starter in DC. So yourr idea that "money talks" and the Wiz could have lured him back by offering him Stevenson's deal (which, essentially, is the same deal Portland offered him but with one extra option year tacked on) was never going to happen.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

They re-upped with Blake because he is a true point guard. A pass first/ shoot second player which is why a team like Portland who has (until lost for the season)Oden, Roy and other weapons. Blake probably won't start over Jarret Jack but he will get minutes.....albeit less than he did with Karl in Denver. Regardless, Blake's an upgrade over Taylor but he's not here so let's move on. Some decent backup point to Gil & AD might get cut before the season. Miles should have stuck around.

Posted by: G$ | October 10, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Blake's making about the same annual salary as Stevenson, around $4 mill/year (although Stevenson got a 4 yr. deal and Blake got 3)."

Then why bother bringing DS's name up when comparing salaries?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Etan Thomas will be having heart surgery tomorrow at the Mayo clinic.

Please pray for him.

Posted by: Sixx | October 10, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

There is a leak in his aortic valve.

Posted by: Sixx | October 10, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Where are you getting this information from , Sixx?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's tough news. I hope things turn out okay for him, basketball notwithstanding.

Posted by: kaloram | October 10, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Then why bother bringing DS's name up when comparing salaries?"

Gosh, d'ya think maybe it had something to do with you implying the Wiz could have lured Blake to D.C. with money ("money talks")? Well, the only money they could have offered him was the money they gave Stevenson. And since Blake's deal with Portland actually has a slightly higher annual salary than Stevenson's (albeit with one year less on the contract) they couldn't have paid him the "big payday" you claim he was looking for.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to Sports Talk 980...Steve Buckhantz is co-hosting the show and received a phone call while they were on the air...they also mentioned EG will be available at Verizon Center tomorrow afternoon once the surgery is completed.

Posted by: Sixx | October 10, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"So yourr idea that "money talks" and the Wiz could have lured him back by offering him Stevenson's deal (which, essentially, is the same deal Portland offered him but with one extra option year tacked on) was never going to happen.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 04:40 PM "

Oh yeah, I forgot that you're Nostradamus, and can see into the future.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's the story from the Wizard's home page:

Etan Thomas to Undergo Surgery
October 10, 2007

WIZARDS' THOMAS TO UNDERGO AORTIC VALVE SURGERY

WASHINGTON, DC - Washington Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld announced today that after further evaluation it was determined that center Etan Thomas will require surgery to repair a leak of the aortic valve.

Thomas' surgery will be performed on Thursday, October 11th, and the Wizards will provide an update regarding Thomas' condition following his surgery tomorrow.

Thomas, a six-year veteran, was not cleared to play after a routine physical revealed an abnormality.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 10, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that anybody is declaring Nick Young to be a bust after one exhibition game.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 10, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Etan. You're in my prayers.

I thought the team looked GREAT last night! It was a substantial improvement in defense, that's for sure.

From what I've read, Mason was really good in training camp. Hopefully last night was just nerves or something and he'll improve soon.

Gil was not hitting his shots, but again, it's the first game. Everyone is probably trying to find their groove.

However, I am VERY excited about this season!!! And I hope we beat the Cavs every time this year!!!! I've had enough losing to those scrubs...

Posted by: G Diddy | October 10, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you're Nostradamus, and can see into the future."

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you're Nostradamus, and can see into the future."

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

enough with the negative waves Mariarty

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Chase had a $25,000 guarantee by Miami, the lowest of about 5 guys they guaranteed to come to camp.

Donell was 1 of 1 from 3 point range last night.

I say he stands a chance of making the team. (But not being a rotation player)

When will they start making cuts ?

Posted by: whocares | October 10, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

SONGAILA 07/08 allstar

Posted by: gary | October 10, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

da Bust is getting outclassed by a second round pick. If they tried to trade him right now, they'd be lucky to get a 2nd.

Posted by: smattack | October 10, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Heck, da Bust is getting outclassed by Roger Mason, another second rounder.

Posted by: smattack | October 10, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Do the guards signed for training camp, Deane or Gordon have any point guard skills? Do either show more potential than DTaylor?

Posted by: oddjob | October 10, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I love this post once again the jackasses in here amaze me.one of you actully want jarvis back, hell lets go get camby too so we can have a matching pair of guys who will play a total of 10 mins this year.all the wiz ask for out of niyo is bench points and he will end up giving us that.hell maybe we should trade blatche to cause hes had 3 years with us and hasn't shown and allstar bid yet gosh what a bust he is.as far as experance in the nba niyo has none.not many 16th picks have come out looking like allstars,YOU ALL seem to think young should be a superstar well here's a surprise hes not and may not ever be, all we ask for is bench scoring and in time he will definatly give us that.you call yourself suposed fans but you sound like nothing but haters I hear new orleans is looking for fans go for it!!!

Posted by: jcrock | October 10, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

you guys wouldn't know a bust if a girstuck her tits in your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jwc | October 10, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

"The fact that you think last summer is "thee future" really explains quite a bit about your ass-backwards perspective on how things work.

Posted by: kalorama | October 10, 2007 06:24 PM "

You missed your calling as a palm reader. I'm sure they're quite rosy palms at that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 10, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 1:57 AM | Report abuse

So we were to take the money that we spent on our starting two guard and spend it to get a THIRD point gaurd?

Wasn't that why we didn't sign Navarro? We'd have basically ended up with no one that could defend the two gaurd position. Why not just sign Blake and Navarro and have four point guards and not bother to even carry a two on the roster since some guys are ready to give up on Young already.

Seems to be a complete disconnect here, some of the same people that scream about the Wizards poor defense figure we should just ignore the twos we have to matchup against and move Arenas to shooting guard.

Grunfeld isn't building a fantasy league team here, the Wizards play real games and have to match up defensively with our opponents on the floor. Stevenson is one of the players that plays good fundamental defense, and he's a complimentry player on offense that doesn't need the ball in his hands to produce decent numbers.

I still beleive that Grunfeld is looking at this team's peak being a year or two off. At that point Young may very well be a better player than Navarro with an upside and just coming into his peak years. Navarro will be nearly 30, and we'll see this year if he can defend twos in the NBA or not.

If he can't he'll be a nice role player off the bench, because many don't beleive he's an NBA point either. Young has some freaky athelitic ability, and is a hard worker. There is no one that can promise Young or Navarro will be stars in this league at this point, time will tell on both guys.

But I still like the Young pick, D Mac looks like a steal, and Pecherov has got an NBA game, and remember all of these guys are really young with upsides. For a big, Pecherov is got years to go before he peaks. Hell, the kid's not 21 yet and isn't done growing, so give these guys time.

And remember this is his third year but Blatche is as young as the rest of these guys and is just growing into his game. And Veeremenko is still in Russia and is a little older but will be over to join these guys next year.

There is alot to be excited about if you're a real Wizards fan, I'm not thinking 50 wins or first in the East yet, but if these guys can sustain the kind of defensive effort the showed the other night I might have to raise my expectations.

But the best part is these young guys will keep getting better for the next few years and Ernie has an extra number one coming up in the future to bargain with to bring in a player to fit in with this group.

It's really a shame for Etan about the open Heart surgery. Can't imagine that he'll possibly make it back this season at all and it could very well be a threat to end his career. I know I'll be thinking about him today and hoping for the best.

Posted by: GM | October 11, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"Considering what you probably do with your free hand while you're typing your anti-Gilbert rants, I wouldn't touch your palm if I was wearing three pairs of rubber gloves.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 01:57 AM "

Again, you need to stop pretending you are bizzaro world nostradamus because all you do is make assumptions about past events, and why, in YOUR world, it could not have happened differently, as if you're some kind of expert as you belittle other people.

In contrast, I've made many predictions about the future of the club and most have come true.

Make sure your palms are clean after you get off your little throne, and don't forget to flush.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Predictions like Pops will be in camp with the Wizards, "Remember I called it"!

No one could have predicted the injuries of last year, you tried to say the Wizard's second half struggles were based on Gilbert going to the Allstar Game.

You didn't predict anything, you just got lucky that the injury bug picked last year to strike the Wizards. And at the same time you were ranting about Arenas because you lost your ass on a stupid bet the year before.

I'm not sure that you ever noticed that Jamison and Butler were hurt missed alot of time, and when they did play were banged up for most of the second half. That Songalia missed 41 games and was never fully healthy the entire year, or that Ruffin and Etan missed long stretches with various injuries.

Not to mention that Jarvis was trying to come back and regain his game after a two year layoff from injuries. And that Daniels and yes, Arenas played long stretches not at 100%.

And through it all they still managed to make the playoffs. Teams like the Bucks collapsed and didn't make the playoffs with fewer guys hurt. So maybe give the guys a few props for effort in a difficult year.

But you called it, Arenas going to the Allstar game and throwing a birthday party led to a second half collapse.

You Called it! And We are all a Witness! To you slowly losing your mind...

Now it's time to respond with something vulgar. Maybe call my wife a choice name, or come up with one of your perverse fantasies. Like you did the other day when I wasn't even online.

Posted by: GM | October 11, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Did someone fart or is GM releasing hot air again? Can't tell the difference, but it doesn't matter anyway.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

GM,

Your comments re: JCN are right on. Our weakness is obvious to everyone, and it ain't offense. I didn't like the Stevenson resigning at first, but I've grown to see Ernie's wisdom. Deshawn got a reasonable contract for what he provides, and helps keep the chemistry good. That's an important factor, and one of the reasons Detroit is so good year after year; Dumars understands it, too.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 11, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Keithinator, JCN may well be a productive player in the league. I'm not one that tried to justify the trade by insisting he'd be a bust.

And if he'd have been willing to play for us for what he ended up having to settle for in Memphis he'd have been a much better option off the bench than Mason. But Navarro said all the right things in public but I highly suspect that privately he and his agent made it very clear he didn't want to be here.

The timing of his announcement, right after the draft, the day after Ernie had clearly said he wouldn't be available this year really made me wonder. Grunfeld had been to Spain twice last season but there seemed to be a real disconnect between Navarro, his agent, and the Wizards.

He then rather publicly stated that he was looking for 3 years at 3 million per year. Not big money, but big enough that there was no way Ernie could offer it this year. Several on this site discussed that Ernie could offer a deal similar to what he gave to Stevenson and allow him to opt out for more money next year.

It seems that in the end that's the kind of arrangement he has with Memphis because they couldn't fit a decent salary in for him either. I think he's only got a 1 yr deal for 1m dollars, if he'd have taken that here sure Ernie would have signed him.

I think it was always his dream to play with Gasol, that's why I thought Grunfeld should have explored a Gasol trade. I think the league office was also involved to make the deal happen to put him in Memphis.

The League has another Euro Star over here in a position to do well along side his friend and teammate on the Spanish National Team. Think that won't kick up interest in the Memphis Grizzles in Spain?

Here he'd have been a rotation guy off the bench, I just can't see him and Arenas starting together. We needed to improve our defense and pairing thoose two isn't the answer.

But I'd have loved to had him here as the scoring option with the second unit. But that wasn't ever in the cards, but we might be able to package that pick to help get us a player to get us over the top in the next couple of years.

So in the end it may work out pretty well for us anyway.

Posted by: GM | October 11, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse