Checking in from Chicago

The game just tipped off and just so you know: Roger Mason is starting at SG (DeShawn Stevenson is getting the night off) and Mike Hall is getting the start at SF (Caron Butler is getting the night off). Gilbert Arenas is on the court doing his thing.

I had a lengthy conversation with Caron Butler before the game (I'm writing about him for tomorrow's paper) and touched on a number of issues ranging from his health (he says he's in the best shape of his life), the team ("people are sleeping on us but let them sleep, we'll see"), Andray Blatche ("the kid is bringing it. He's going to help us) and his goals for the season (he considers himself to be an all-star but is more worried about the team). Check out the article if you get a chance.

I'll check back later with some game detail.

By Ivan Carter |  October 16, 2007; 8:43 PM ET
Previous: On to Chicago | Next: Tender ankles

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

furst!

Posted by: LeBron | October 16, 2007 9:12 PM

whats wrong with Gilbert...

Posted by: blurp | October 16, 2007 9:24 PM

Blatche is down!!!!

Posted by: c.MM | October 16, 2007 9:26 PM

It's the half.

Am I the only one getting these idiot Chicago announcers?

Ivan, go smack them for me would you? They are making fun of Pesh. At least were until he made a few shots and got a couple rebounds. :P

Who told Stacey King he was a good announcer anyway? Makes me REALLY appreciate Phil and Buck.

Things I like: the Wiz are getting to the free-throw line. :)

Things I don't like: the Wiz starters were out-rebounded by the Bulls starters. :(

Ah well it's pre-season. Add me to the list of those who like DMac on here. That guy has a ton of hustle.

- ray

Posted by: Ray | October 16, 2007 9:47 PM

Report is Blatche sprained an ankle but will return, so must not be to bad.

Jamison slightly sprained an ankle also, but will not be back.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 9:49 PM

DMac has at least three blocks so far.

Posted by: Tim | October 16, 2007 9:51 PM

From Tom Mandel's blog post on the first half:

Good run to end the half on a positive note and well within reach.

McGuire, Mason and Pecherov keeping them in the game. Pech having trouble from the field but has 4 rebounds, a block and an assist and is 4-4 from the line. McGuire seems to be really active, with 3 blocks.

Songaila is having another bad game -- 4 fouls, a turnover and only 1 rebound.

Great to see Roger playing well. As neal said the other day, the more minutes he gets the better, as we have to hope he develops or we are in some trouble at the 2.

Andray hasn't played much for some reason.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 10:03 PM

Speaking of Buck and Chenier, that duo is really bad. I make it a point to watch ESPN whenever there's a dual broadcast. Buck is great, but Chenier is really bad. This duo never does any diagraming or explaining of plays (Chenier's analyst role).

I think Chenier tried it once, and wasn't comfortable drawing diagrams, so he quit. Buck is good though, especially with his enthusiasm and his "dagger, backbreaker, not possible...etc." I like his words better than marv albert.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 11:02 PM

Yeah Phil Chenier is pretty bad, but he is such a nice guy, particularly for an x-NBA allstar, that you have to accept him for what he is. He remained positive and loyal for soooo many years when the Bullets/Wiz were sooooo awful. Who really cares about drawing up plays in NBA games...I don't want to see grease pencil on my screen, just show me the live action and replays of key elements of the game. And so what, the color Phil adds wouldn't fill up a junior size crayola box, he is still our guy, we remember his glory days and he is our only link back to the big E and Wes...and until the Wiz start a run of playoff finals for several years running...he is still ok in my book and my heart.

Posted by: oddjob | October 16, 2007 11:34 PM

I read the article on Caron this morning, very nice stuff Ivan.

Oh yea, and beware of the Underoos, I saw you trying to get out of that.

Posted by: LooseCannon | October 17, 2007 10:41 AM