Kobe Bryant Is Not Untouchable

So, the great mystery of the summer has been solved: Kobe Bryant still wants to be traded. His "trade me/don't trade me" demand from the Los Angeles Lakers left many wondering exactly where his head was - and his refusal to address the issue while training with the U.S. Men's National Team didn't help matters much. Bryant showed up for training camp saying only that he is "a soldier" for the Lakers and will do as he is commanded.

It sounded like he had accepted his fate - that he was stuck with the Lakers until 2009, when he can opt of the final two years of a contract that has more than $88 million remaining.

Now, it seems that Bryant may get his wish and become a former Laker sooner than later after team owner Jerry Buss told Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times that Bryant isn't untouchable and that he would consider offers for his superstar guard if the team is struggling by the trade deadline.

"I would certainly listen," Buss said. "At any time, I think you have to do that with anybody. It's just part of the game, to listen to somebody who has a dissatisfied player that you think is going to fit. You can't keep too many loyalties. You've got to look at it as a business. He looks at it the same way I look at it."

Buss added that Bryant made it very clear that he doesn't want to waste his prime years on a team that has no chance at winning a championship. The Lakers received some trade proposals, which Buss declined to specify, but "what was offered was not ever under consideration."

He also said something that showed that the Lakers won't think about moving Bryant until they get completely desperate. "You have to get comparable value when you make a trade," he said. "It's very hard to trade somebody like him because people who have enough material to make it worthwhile are usually contenders and they don't want to make the trade."

Buss said he told Bryant about the offers but said, "I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing."

That's the problem. There is no such thing as a comparable talent for Kobe Bryant. He's the best player in the game and the hottest ticket in the league. You can't replace that. And the up-and-comers LeBron James and Dwyane Wade won't be getting traded any time soon.

Even still, Buss's words can't sit well with the self-proclaimed Black Mamba. He wanted out before, he may want out even more now. Buss, it seems, it just setting up his fans in case the team really has to move Bryant. By sounding the alarms now, people can prepare themselves for the worst, and the organization may not have to deal with as massive a public relations nightmare. If Lakers fans understand that Bryant is forcing their hands, they won't have to deal with the embarassing backlash that followed the Shaquille O'Neal trade - especially after O'Neal went on to win another championship two years later.

Sam Smith wrote an article for MSNBC.com claiming that Knicks should do everything they can to bring Kobe to New York, although I don't see any player on the Knicks that the Lakers would want in return. Kobe is infatuated with the Bulls, but I'm not sure what they could offer without surrendering all of its quality assets.

I know this is big year for the Wizards, with Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison becoming free agents next summer, but it is even more important for the Lakers, who could lose Bryant and Phil Jackson before the start of next season. Jackson has been complaining of poor health lately (although that roster doesn't make him feel much better about the job, either).

By the way, I would advise everyone to check out the latest issue of Esquire magazine. Avoid the fact that Charlize Theron (????) is on the cover as the Sexiest Woman Alive (Are you kidding me?!?) and check out the feature inside on Kobe Bryant. It's a really good read and it breaks down Kobe's desire to be the best in the game. It offers some insight into his relationship with his wife Vanessa and their two girls and there is a really funny exchange describing the photo shoot for the mag, as well. It also mentions how a history of diabetes in his family forced him to change his diet and explains the reason he chose No. 10 for Team USA (it's the number of some his favorite soccer players, including Pele). The story got a bit bland toward the end when Kobe started talking and gave some his drab cliches about being part of a team and winning is all that matters, blah, blah, blah. But overall, it was a good article.

By Michael Lee  |  October 11, 2007; 11:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Etan update
Next: Checking in

Comments

Hey, just because it's fun, I'll throw it out there: Gil and Etan (to make the salaries match) for Kobe. Whaddya think? I bet the Lakers would go for it. Gil's not in Kobe's league, but he's probably the closest thing Mitch would get to comparable value.

You also have to think Gil wouldn't mind going back to the West Coast, and playing for his favorite team in the big city.

If it happened, the Wiz instantly become the favorites in the East. Kobe would be surrounded by more talent than he's had at any time since Shaq left. My big worry would be chemistry, that the Wiz have spent a long time developing.

On the other hand, the Wiz get the best player in the league, a guy who brings it on both ends of the court, and fills that two-guard weakness pretty nicely, eh? Daniels becomes the starting point, which works perfectly because he's such a good facilitator.

I think this has zero chance of happening, but it's fun to consider, ain't it?

Keith

Posted by: Keithinator | October 11, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Sounds a lot like Kobe has become the NBA equivalent of Manny Ramirez. He wants to go to a team that has a better chance to win a title but makes too much money for anyone to take him.

In all seriousness, who in the league could pull together a deal for someone with $88 million left on his contract AND end up creating a team that's a legitimate contender? Unless Kobe is willing to restructure his contract (if that's an option), a straight-up trade would just put him with a team of scrubs where he'd be scoring options No. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. I can't even see a multi-team, multi-player deal.

Posted by: iceberg | October 11, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Michael Lee posting on the blog about Kobe? I didn't see that coming.

Posted by: Joe | October 11, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I will admit Kobe is a phenomenal player - but he's lacks that MJ likability factor.

Posted by: dman | October 11, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

????. Are you kidding me?!?
!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure I would like the Wiz as well if Gilbert was traded for Kobe.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"There is no such thing as a comparable talent for Kobe Bryant. He's the best player in the game and the hottest ticket in the league. You can't replace that. And the up-and-comers LeBron James and Dwyane Wade won't be getting traded any time soon."

And that, in a nutshell, is why Bryant isn't going anywhere.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

I disagree. It happens in the league. Shaq got traded for pennies on the dollar. So did Garnett. It depends on how badly a team wants to trade, the relative competence of the GMs involved, and whether the money can work. If Kupchak decided, for instance, that Gil was the kind of star that he could build around, he might decide it's worth it to get rid of the ongoing migraine that the Kobe saga has become. True, he wouldn't be getting equal value, but that hardly ever happens when a star is traded, whether it's Shaq, Garnett, Barkley, etc...

Posted by: Keithinator | October 11, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

We don't won't Kobe here! Kobe is a butthole and is just disguising it to be more appealing to John Q Public. He is a selfish player who can be quite nasty when things aren't going his way. I'm pretty sure he isn't being too nice when the cameras aren't rolling. I would not trade a person on this team to get him. Also, why is it that so many bloggers on this post want to trade away our team. I also blog on another teams sports page(Wiz my#1 team, my original home team #2) and no one else dogs a team like DC.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I like our team a lot. I think they can go far with what they have right now. I also think, however, that Kobe's the best player in basketball, and we'd go farther with him than with Gil. That being said, I don't think it has much of a chance, if any, of happening.

But as I mentioned in my first post, we wouldn't have to trade our whole team. Only Gil and Etan (Etan for salary-matching purposes). If the Lakers wouldn't go for it, then no deal.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 11, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

gee, ya think Etan might be hard to move right about now?

Posted by: Monte | October 11, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Charlize Theron is absolutely stunning. Shes not fake like most celebrities (implants, surgery). I hope the "are you kidding me", was refering to her amazing beauty.

Posted by: Mike | October 11, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Keithnator, what makes you think Caron will play any better with Kobe than he did in L.A. For that reason alone it is a bad idea. Caron's upward arc would be halted by pairing up with Kobe again.

And Michael Lee, you might not think Charlize Theron is the sexiest woman alive. That is certainly debatable, but it isn't that ridiculous a notion. She's not a hag for heavens sake!

Posted by: George Templeton | October 11, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

You know, Mike. I didn't watch that movie "Monster" something that Charlie Theron was in but I saw her look in that movie. If you have seen that and you look at her now, you HAVE to give her this award. You might be right that she might not be THE sexiest woman alive (Scarlett Johanson, Penelop Cruz, the list goes on), but she is right there on that level.

I can see the Kobe deal done this way: Matrix do a sign and trade deal ALONG with Boris Diaw for Kobe next year. That's the only way it can happen money wise.

Posted by: fire starter | October 11, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

George,

Not that it matters, because the deal will never happen, but I wouldn't worry about Kobe and Caron being able to play together. They didn't have any problem playing together in L.A. And, according to what I've read and heard from both of them in interviews, they got along pretty well as teammates. They worked out and trained together, and even hung out together off court (which was unusual for Kobe as he tended to keep his distance from teammates). Kobe was said to have had a good deal of respect for Butler's toughness and work ethic. And clearly Butler knows how to coexist effectively with a big name, big shot superstar teammate.

But, again, it's a moot point, because Kobe's not coming here.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama,

You're right about the PR problems trading Kobe would pose. The question is whether the Lakers are willing to risk it. Gil, while not on Kobe's level, is a marquee player, and has a larger-than-life personality; in fact, it's not a stretch to say he might be the most personable player in the league, and would fit in well in L.A. I only bring this up because of Buss' recent statements, and the fact that Kobe seems to desperately want out.

George,

Could that happen? Sure. Would it? Not so sure. Yeah, Kobe's a ballhog, but so is Gil. And Kobe plays much better D than Gil, greatly helping the Wiz out, should this scenario unfold (and again, I don't think it will). Kobe wants to play with talent now, and he'd have a heck of a lot more of it in D.C. If you're referring to some kind of personality clash, I didn't follow their brief time together in L.A., so I can't speak to that point.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 11, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Gilby would be the perfect person to ship out to LA, and I think Gilby would love it. He'd be back in his hometown, and he'll probably hope that Laura doesn't follow him out there.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Gil's a great player and a cut up personality. But he's not (at least not yet) a player fans around the country make a point of coming out and paying money to see. The Lakers have gotten more national TV coverage the last couple of years than you'd reasonably expect from a bottom rung playoff team. Why? Because of Kobe. Kobe is probably first or second (Lebron being the other) in that category. That's a big loss to absorb, esp. when they'd already be coming out short on the talent end.

And I think people are reading too much into Buss's statements. Nothing he said indicated either an intention or a desire to trade Kobe. All he said is that he's still willing to listen to offers. Well, that's not saying anything, really. Any good businessman is going to be willing to listen to offers, because that's the only way you'll stumble across one you like. That doesn't mean he's actively pursuing a deal.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

kobe is much better than gil but i would prefer gil because he gives back to the community. the ghetto's in dc, particly the southeast area where im from is dying. i cant see kobe giving back like gil does.

Posted by: i | October 11, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

kalorama, I actually think people in LA would pay to see Gilbert. His jersey sales ranked #8 last year ahead of people like shaq, duncan, tmac, etc. They base these figures on the sales at the NBA store in NYC according to the article I just read. LA could play up the "hometown boy" angle if Gil were to go to LA.. But there's no one who can make up for the loss of Kobe. Most folks pay to see spectacular Sportscenter dunks and Gil only gives you buzzer beaters.

Posted by: mark | October 11, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lee dissed Charlize Theron because he has eyes for only one woman:

Kobe

Posted by: Joe | October 11, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"I actually think people in LA would pay to see Gilbert. His jersey sales ranked #8 last year ahead of people like shaq, duncan, tmac, etc."

Yes, but they still ranked behind Kobe. And fans coming to see LA at home isn't the biggest concern. Largely because of Kobe, the Lakers had one of the best road attendance records in the NBA, higher than a number of teams with better records who went farther in the playoffs. Because of Kobe they got a higher number of national TV appearances than teams with better records who went farther in the playoffs.

Kobe is one of the biggest stars in basketball. Not just the NBA, but in the world. Arenas is popular, but he's nowhere near the same class as Kobe when it comes to drawing fans' attention and separating fans from their money. And when you're running a team whose chances of winning a title anytime soon are slim, you have to milk every avenue of profitability you can.

That's the main reason why the T'Wolves and Sixers waited so long to move Garnett and Iverson, several years after it had become obvious they were never going to win titles with those guys. They knew that the minute those guys were gone, fans would lose what little reason they had to pay any attention at all to their teams.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again Michael for a fantastic article. I haven't kept up with any of this of late - but my guess off the top of my head Kobe might like Phoenix, San Antonio or Chicago.

He seems to prefer teams with great structure - order - teams that seem to have a mindset to win. The little general in Dallas might irritate him...so not sure how that would work. Don't see him in D.C. either. Don't see him in D.C. especially after the way Polin treated Jordan.

Just a note to the person commenting on whether Kobe gives back to the community.
Per Sir Charles, "publicity ain't necessary!

Posted by: Robin | October 11, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Charles Barkley, Jordan, Magic, Garnet & a number of other players said - the majority of them don't make it public - who they're donating and/or giving to. They said so long as we & those receiving know - thats all that matters.
Per Sir Charles, "publicity ain't necessary!

Posted by: Robin | October 11, 2007 03:55 PM "

OMG!!!

And to think, these legends might be even bigger stars if they had thought to maybe throw out their jersey after a game, tell people they're donating $100 for every point made, maybe throw a coming out party bash, demand their shoe company to put up a billboard with their picture, etc. These legends just didn't know how to market themselves!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that Charlize Theron isn't an attractive woman. She's a nice-looking lady, but we're talking about "the sexiest woman alive" here. I don't see it. She wouldn't make my top 20. I know we're all entitled to our opinions, but I can't get with Esquire on that.

Posted by: Michael Lee | October 11, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I lived in DC all my life but i'm a huge kobe fan. If kobe comes to Washington for Gilbert..it would be a dream come true. How would that Wiz, Cavs matchup look now? For those with the kobe is selfish myth, please..don't beat that dead horse..How much more assist does gilbert have over him? Kobe is a proven winner. If he met the cavs with this current squad with rebounding machine Pecherov and Most improved player Blatch, Jamison playing the 4 like he did during the playoffs, I don't see any team beating them in the east..That's my take myfriends.

Posted by: anonymous. | October 11, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I would be much less of a Wiz fan if Kobe came here. I don't care if he made us more competitive and got us closer to a championship.

You have to also feel good about the players you are rooting for. I would much rather root for Gilbert (who has not reached his peak yet) along with the other young and upcoming players that are on this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"The problem with trading Kobe isn't just about talent (and the Lakers will get screwed on that score no matter what they get in return). There's also a marketing/PR problem. Kobe is a marquee player, the kind of player fans in other cities pay to see when he comes to town. Short of LeBron James, there's no other payer in thee league who will have that kind of draw. So if they trade Kobe, not only will they be shorted on talent and be no closer to a title, but they'll also take a hit at the box office."

Kal, i disagree..Kobe has MUCH MUCH more draw than Lebron. Just check Lebron in the finals vs spurs...allegedly, that was the lowest finals draw. If that was kobe in the finals vs Spurs, you better believe it's going to be really high in draw..Kobe by himself owns that spurs team..You know he would torch them for 40+ in that series..Believe me, he would have a higher draw because of his flashy style of play and making impossible shots

Posted by: Q WUOR | October 11, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Mike, I think if they actually got to see her in person...it might effect their opinions. Who knows. I see DCMan88 is back live and in living colors...all of them.
That comments was in response to the comment: "They wouldn't want Kobe here cuz he wouldn't give to the community like Gil." What is that about?

Wasn't aware a player's personal finances or financial giving is what should be a criteria for selecting him for a team?

DC I get your point about self promotion...I hear ya!!! Lets keep it movin..

pardon me for being so slow...been enjoying the football season......
Not just ready for all the drama of wizards basketball just yet...

Appears nothings' changed especially Mike's great articles, thankfully.

I get your point Mike about Charlize.

Posted by: Robin | October 11, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"Avoid the fact that Charlize Theron (????) is on the cover as the Sexiest Woman Alive (Are you kidding me?!?) and check out the feature inside on Kobe Bryant."

As Joe mentioned above, I just KNEW Mike would post something on this beloved Kobe today.

And IMHO Charlize Theron is definately one of the hottest women on the planet. But Mike is in love with Kobe, so he doesn't agree. ;)

I honestly don't get your fascination with the Lakers/Kobe and that's why I give you such a hard time. I'm guessing you're from LA?

"Hey, just because it's fun, I'll throw it out there: Gil and Etan (to make the salaries match) for Kobe."

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 11, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

..."I'd cry because I'd never watch the Wizards until they got rid of him. The Lakers got what they deserved, they kept the wrong guy."

Ray do you really think kobe was the wrong choice? Shaq would have been doubled and tripled team, he's injury-prone and misses 20games on avg, doesn't shoot free throws well, his rebounding and blocks are on the decline, he wouldn't have had a superstar guard to help alleviate the double teams, Plus the lack of perimeter defense would keep him in foul trouble. Do you know what a big man in the WEST with no superstar becomes?? KG. LAKERS WOULD HAVE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 3 STRAIGHT YEARS WITH SHAQ. I THINK KOBE'S SCORING PROWESS AND 5.3 ASSIST WAS THE REASON THEY EVEN MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST 2 YEARS.

What do you think?

Posted by: anonymous. | October 11, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Charlize is pretty hot.

Posted by: disgruntled fan | October 11, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

What Charlize Theron has, is a fierce intelligence. You can see it in her eyes - along with the smoldering, intensely sexual hunger.

That's what separates her from so many bimbettes like Rosario Dawson, Penelope Cruz, Jessica Alba, etc.There's no there there with these girls.

Girls, yes; they're out of their depths in being women.

With Charlize Theron, you get the feeling you could have just as interesting a time post-coitally as before. That's hotness.

Posted by: TK | October 11, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Post-coital smoldering with Charlize could be pretty hot.

Prediction: Deshawn "Mad Bullets" Stevenson never comes close to scoring 20 points again, in a preseason game or any other game, with the Wizards or anyone else.

Posted by: still disgruntled | October 11, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Lakers fan and was so fed up with Shaq being lazy, giving 50%, and being aggressive only in the last 5 minutes of games. In hindsight, Kobe might seem like a pain in the ass, but at the time keeping him over Shaq was a good choice. Shaq would've just stayed lazy and complacent.

Posted by: mike | October 11, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"JCN scored 20-some points in the Grizzlies' last preseason game. When can we start publicly flogging Ernie Grunfeld?"

Posted by: disgruntled fan | October 11, 2007 06:40 PM

When he does it consistantly against NBA teams!

Posted by: Rook | October 11, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Did JCN play any defense? How did the 2's do against him?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Michael Lee | October 11, 2007 04:19 PM "

Mike, how do you define sexiness? If you look at the cover, she's not bada bing, bada boom, but sexiness is not just physical, it's mental also.

Even if you put a greater emphasis on physical aspects, gravity takes a toll after awhile. Go ask GM.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE IGNORE DC MAN88. DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM OR ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. HE IS a racist, RUDE, VULGAR, AND MOST OF HIS POSTS ARE INAPPROPRIATE TO THIS BLOG.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

dcman, you really do seem to sing a one note song...

who would you crush on if 'gilby' left?

Posted by: g | October 12, 2007 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I just want to throw this out there.

Did everyone think going into the off season that we needed to add a 20pt a game scoring guard?

Seems like that is what people were thinking, I mean if we could get about 12 20point scoring players on the team we would be a real threat, especially once the NBA goes to 30 minute quarters.

Posted by: g | October 12, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Just because Penelope Cruz, Rosario Dawson and Jessica Alba are Hispanic does not mean they are not "intelligent actresses"... Cruz, in particular, has worked in a wide range of films, including those of Pedro Almadovar, I believe... And she is WAY hotter than Charlize Theron.

Now for Hispanic basketball players. I watched the Grizzlies - Malaga game from start to finish, and JCN is really a great scorer, 3-balls, floaters you name it. Nor should you question the quality of the opposition, Malaga has former NBA talent like Marcus Haislip and Boniface N'dong... In fact Malaga won the game. One reason they won is that while JCN is a bull of a scorer he is also a total "matador" on defense! That is why he is in Memphis and DS his here. DS cannot carry a team offensively (as shown in the playoffs) but he defends well, and is a very good complementary scorer.

Posted by: khabb | October 12, 2007 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Khabb is right Stevenson is here and Navarro is in Memphis because of defense and chemistry.

I can't see Grunfeld blowing up the team chemistry that he has been building here for Kobe Bryant. Based on age and is own personal game the Lakers made the right pick between their two superstars.

But a superstar is measured by winning and if he makes the players around him elevate their games. Shaq has another title since he left the Lakers, and D Wade appears to be a world beater when Shaq is in the lineup and is healthy and interested.

When Shaq was out last year D. Wade appeared quite ordinary at times. He couldn't carry the Heat on his back without the big guy even before he got hurt.

Arenas has seemed to elevate the games of the guys around him. Hughes, Caron, Jamison, have all raised or restored their games running with Arenas. Guys like Stevenson have had their best year in their career as Arenas's running mate.

Caron didn't bust out playing Kobe and can't really think of one guy that's had a career year playing beside him. He is what he is, and he might be the best player in the World.

But he hasn't proven that he can co-exist with another extremely talented player over time. And rightly or wrongly he got the finger pointed at him for breaking up a dynasty and running off one of the Game's dominate coaches.

Until he finds a way to repair that stigma it will follow him through the rest of his career. The mess he created this summer doesn't make him look any better, or make any team in the league beleive that this is the guy you build your marketing around.

The Buss family deserves a fair share of the credit for this mess themselves. But in the end Kobe and the Busses deserve each other.

Posted by: GM | October 12, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I got to hand it to you kalorama, I had always read that Butler struggled and didn't like playing with Kobe but his numbers that one year were comparable with his excellent rookie year in Miami (although they did spike up when he came here).

02-03 15.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.8 spg 41.6 pct.

04-05 15.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.4 spg, 44.5 pct.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 12, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"dcman, you really do seem to sing a one note song...

who would you crush on if 'gilby' left?

Posted by: g | October 12, 2007 01:03 AM "

I've been following Les BouleS for about 23 years. I've never seen anyone like Gilby who is so annoying and two faced. Star, no star, or whatever.

I want Gilby to stay here, but I could do a lot less with his antics. Just play ball Gilby, and cut the crap out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 12, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Having suffered a nasty fall in my 20's that required back surgery and another surgery years later. Yes, I can tell you that gravity takes a toll on your body, so DC man88 what's your point?

Posted by: GM | October 12, 2007 08:21 AM "

GM, you didn't get my joke and it's fine that you didn't. Move on.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 12, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This is my take on who DCMan88 actually is:

We have Carter & Lee, WAPost,writers ,Buckantz TV analyst/Commentator, Oh Yes, we hired, Mr. "knife in your back/critical enemy no. one - but now drawing a Wiz pay-check"
Ed(Judas Iscariot)Tapscott, Eddie Jordan, "reading Coaching for Dummies!"
as he's doing his on-the-job training"
Abe & Ernie guarding the cash...

BUT then!! We have Mr. DCMan88!!! Blogger/Analyst Extrordinaire!!! His "Handle" if you will! Non other than "Gilbert Arenas"

Without him..he'd have no claim to fame..
He'll win a pulitzer once he compiles all his incredulous comments! He'll stop at nothing..DCMan is like the paparazzi chasing Diana, Hallie, Britney, Denzel and OJ or perhaps "Charize Theron??"
He probably sleeps outside Gil's door, club, gym with his laptop blogging on his every move..waiting to debate with us daring anyone to know any more about Gil than he. Why its almost a "Love Thing" of sorts.
Instead of waiting for Ivan & Michael to write a new article..we should just wait for DCMan88's - "Tuesday's with Gilbert"

Cuz its plain to see...Nobody can spaek one word about Gil without being skewered by the DCMan. Gil's own Charles Oakley(but via laptop)

Go ahead...I dare anyone to so much as "mention Gilbert A. " Something seething will come back immediately.

Just laughing out loud!!!

Posted by: Laughing out loud | October 12, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations. I hope you feel.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!