On to Chicago

The Wizards are in the windy city getting ready for tomorrow night's game against the Bulls. I would expect that Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels will play after both sat out of last night's win in Philly. Gilbert wasn't going to play and then he changed his mind when the team go to the arena and he changed his mind again right before tip. Antonio tweaked his left ankle during Saturday's win over Dallas but it wasn't serious and he'll likely go tonight. Not sure what Eddie Jordan will do with Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Brendan Haywood after they all played consecutive nights over the weekend.

Quick note: I'll be on Comcast's Washington Post Live tonight at 5 to talk a little Wizards and you can bet that we'll be talking Redskins, Patriots/Cowboys and college football as well. Everyone needs to be talking about Adrian Peterson and what he did to the Bears yesterday. Wow.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 15, 2007; 1:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz win
Next: Checking in from Chicago

Comments

adrian peterson = 55+ pts in my fantasy league!! woohoo! week high b!*ches!! ;-)

Posted by: hmmmmm | October 15, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bmore | October 15, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 15, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

he makes an easy mark,

...basically everyone knows what he is going to say before he says it.

Posted by: greg | October 15, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Off topic comment/questions here.

Not sure if this has been addressed recently as my coverage of all things Wizards has dipped recently. CNNSI linked to this interview in Complex Magazine a couple days ago.

(http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Web-Exclusive/Gilbert-Arenas/Page-3)

In it, Gilbert says his top team choices after he opts out are LA, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. Does this mean DC is really, at best, fifth on his list? This is worrying cuz its hard to imagine none of those teams making him an offer.

Any other reports out there? Hopefully contradicting this one.

Posted by: RossM | October 15, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Gonzo you must be new to these boards. You probably haven't read the terrible things DC Punk88 has written about GM's wife and family, or the insulting things he wrote to Lady Wizz, or the racist things he wrote about the different skills black and white people allegedly bring to the game of basektball. Hang around for awhile and you'll see why the little boy is so widely disrespected even on those rare occasions he has something useful to say.

Posted by: zinger2 | October 15, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Ivan:
You're from Minnesota -- are you going to visit Etan while he's in the hospital to get an interview? Everyone would like to hear from him, and he probably would be glad to see a familiar face.

Posted by: Sean | October 15, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Good story idea... Zinger is on the money, the guy is secretly in love with Arenas, thus; he feels rejected, inadequate, and insecure. We simply receive all his defensiveness...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Everyone needs to be talking about Adrian Peterson and what he did to the Bears yesterday. Wow."

They are and it's silly that so many teams passed on that guy. They guys breaks his shoulder or whatever in college after everyone had him as a unanimous #1 pick a couple years ago and he drops in the draft(aka- like Randy Moss).

Crazy thing is he's on Minnesota so they probably will trade him or something, right Ivan? ;)

A bunch of GM's are really looking stupid right now. That guy is for real.

On a blog note, I think the kids the Wiz have playing looked good last night. I think Hall isn't going to make the team.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 15, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Adrian Peterson was amazing yesterday. But it should also be taken into account that the Vikings have Steve Hutchinson as an O lineman. When Hutchinson was in Seattle, Shaun Alexander ran all over the place too.

Posted by: Lisa | October 15, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"What I wanna know is why people are eternally picking on DC Man. Disagreement is always expected - but man, what did he do?

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 15, 2007 02:20 PM "

Oh man, don't worry about me.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 15, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

God forbid that anyone would root for the hometown star. It's salt in whatever wound DC Man88 carries around with him over Gilbert. You'll see, Gonzo, every thread ends up with DC Man88 trashing Gilbert and anyone who has anything positive to say about Agent Zero. Obsesso-man88.

Posted by: zinger2 | October 15, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"If I wanted to follow the Gilby wannabe-star struck crowd, I'd be a yes boy like everyone else here."

Right...and you're way to cool to be a yes boy. You're a no boy--a gratuitously contrarian troll who posts only for effect--the only thing that matters is that you elicit a response from the peanut gallery. You know it, we know it. The upshot, of course, is that that your posts never contribute to any meaningful discussion, but are intended only to aggravate and offend. Someday I imagine you'll grow out of it, but until then expect to be roundly ignored and ostricized by people who don't find your juvenile acting out to be the least bit entertaining. This is the last post I'll make to or about you. Grow the hell up and quit ruining a perfectly good blog for the hundreds of strangers who come here to read about basketball instead of an ongoing saga about some antisocial douchebag.

Posted by: woof | October 15, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Yesss, and the Gilby apologists come out in force! Great. Someone complained that I post too many anti Gilby posts. The funny thing is one post by me elicits multiple Gilby b#tt sucking posts by the same star struck people over and over. So who's obsessed now?

"The upshot, of course, is that that your posts never contribute to any meaningful discussion, but are intended only to aggravate and offend. Someday I imagine you'll grow out of it, but until then expect to be roundly ignored and ostricized by people who don't find your juvenile acting out to be the least bit entertaining. This is the last post I'll make to or about you. Grow the hell up and quit ruining a perfectly good blog for the hundreds of strangers who come here to read about basketball instead of an ongoing saga about some antisocial douchebag.

Posted by: woof | October 15, 2007 06:27 PM "

And Woofie, what do your posts contribute to? Who the heck are you? Changing your name yet again to some anonymous name? Loser!

What have you said that's meaningful using your real name? The only douchebags are your dad and mom for not aborting you before you became "woof."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 15, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

He just jealous of Gilbert. Let's just leave him be, there is no cure for what he's got.

Posted by: Skeef | October 15, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Skeezie, I'm jealous of your mom's pimp.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 15, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Gonzo,MD. Still wondering??????

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Off topic comment/questions here.

(http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Web-Exclusive/Gilbert-Arenas/Page-3)

Any other reports out there? Hopefully contradicting this one.

Posted by: RossM | October 15, 2007 03:05 PM

did anyone pay attention to this or our you to busy jonein dcman88 if gil has intention of leaving after this year we need to make a move now!!!

Posted by: JWC | October 15, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Gonzo: Do you get it now?

Posted by: John Brisker | October 15, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

JWC:
Interesting. I've got to wonder if they edited the transcript in a way that gives a misleading impression. For one, I can't imagine Gilbert giving such a terse answer to any question. Second, it directly contradicts what he wrote in his own blog back in June, under the headline, "Don't Worry Wizards Fans, I'm Not Going Anywhere." If he wants a six-year max deal, which is what he said back then, he's got to stay in Washington.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 15, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

"Second, it directly contradicts what he wrote in his own blog back in June, under the headline, "Don't Worry Wizards Fans, I'm Not Going Anywhere." If he wants a six-year max deal, which is what he said back then, he's got to stay in Washington.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 15, 2007 09:11 PM "

Brisket boy must be a fool or very naive if this is truly his first time getting his cherry plucked by experiencing a Gilby contradiction, as Brisket boy muses "Second, it directly contradicts what he wrote in his own blog back in June, under the headline...."

Gilby is a living contradiction. He says one thing, does something else, and the butt kissers on this blog continue to smile, slap each other on the back and say what a great guy Gilby is, and continue to love it long time.

I'll say one thing, if Gilby somehow snakes his way into San Antonio, who sure as heck doesn't need anything Gilby has to offer as SA is a team that is the polar opposite of what Gilby is and stands for (ie. selfish teammate), then it will be true. Armageddon cometh soon. Gilby would be their antichrist.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 15, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice WPL plug!

Posted by: chia pet | October 15, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's a question that will make people like GM wet his Depends under garments. When Gilby opts out, will he necessarily take the highest bid? Maybe not:

"C: Could you'd play with Kobe?
Gilbert Arenas: Yeah. Cause mentally I'm strong enough to play with him. I don't think everybody's ready for his mental challenge."

The only way Kobe and Gilby can be on the same team, possibly, is if Gilby willingly accepts less than market value and then gets some sort of Joe Smith-Minn. promise from Jerry Buss.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's Gilby showing that he cares about his community and about kids shooting up each other for their shoes or robbing people or spending their parents hard earned money in the hood to get his shoes:

"C: You ever think of lowering your price point like Marbury's $15 dollars shoes.
Gilbert Arenas: I first thought about it because Shaq does it too, Marbury's are lower than Shaq's, but at the end of the day, if the shoes are $100 bucks...I mean, Jordan's it doesn't matter if shoes are $200 bucks, you're going to buy it. Those kids are not going to wear the [Marbury] shoe to school. They're going to be like "oh those shoes are 15 bucks buddy." You're going buy those shoes because you can play basketball, but fashion wise you're not going to wear a $15 dollar pair of shoes."

I guess that was a funny/quirky way for Gilby to dodge the question, but the fact of the matter is that if Adidas does not make money off his shoes, then Gilby does not make money....kids be damned.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I guess Gilby picked up this lingo from Barry Farms:

"They're going to be like "oh those shoes are 15 bucks buddy."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 15, 2007 02:20 PM

You must be a proctologist.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Robert C | October 16, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

AB's ability would be wasted if he's not part of the offensive scheme, but instead, told to assume a Ben Wallace type of role. The beauty of AB's game is that he can pass and has the Magic Johnson/Chris Webber type of instinct, which none of the starters have now, or possibly ever.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 14, 2007 10:09 PM

If you, as a coaching staff, give these young players an undefined or expansive role from the start, they often try to do too much, make stupid mistakes and play out of control.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"With any young inexperienced player that DOES NOT have a polished and disciplined game like AB, you want to restrict some of his freedom and tell him to concentrate on certain strong fundamentals (rebounding, defense, blocking shots, etc...) so that they fit a certain role and do not try to do too much. Once they start excelling at that initial role, they gain that elusive confidence young players unproven players require, which in turn makes the game that much easier for them to expand their skills and roles for their team.

Posted by: | October 16, 2007 08:16 AM "

I totally agree. Given that, the only way a player will learn is by making mistakes on the court, not just having a coach scream in his ear that he can't do this or that, or risk being yanked.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

" Wizs are playing well, esp the young players. I'm looking foward to how the season start, I believe the Wizards can go undefeated in the month of November, ok maybe I'm a little too excited. I'm writing to see if anyone checked out Jarvis Hayes? He's have a great preseason with the Pistons. I know it's early but if he plays like this he'll win most improved player

Posted by: Robert C | October 16, 2007 08:15 AM "

Steinberg had an interview with Jarvis not long ago, and he said he feels refreshed with Detroit as he sees the contrasts. He said Detroit is all about team, whereas Les BouleS was caught up in individual players. He seems very happy to be there, and good for him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

it would be hard for Jarvis NOT to improve . . . since he's starting from horrible there is no where to go but up.

IOW, he might be "improved" but he's still useless.

Posted by: Clank | October 16, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

As disappointing as some might find it Grunfeld holds all the cards this off season.

For Arenas to go anywhere else and get nearly the money that he can get here he'd have to agree to a sign and trade. Even if he does flat out walk, which is highly doubtful because he'd leave something like 20-30m dollars on the table, we'd have the cap room to work with.

The whole reason he opted out was for financial security, so I doubt that he'd leave big money on the table to play second fiddle elsewhere. And the endorsement money available when you're the second bannana ain't great no matter how many titles you win. Just ask Scottie Pippen.

Combined with Jamison's expiring deal, Grunfeld has a huge amount of flexibility.
And another wild card is Etan's career situation which should be clearer by next summer.

The Wizards have a young improving roster, Grunfeld is building a team around Arenas to feature his talents and win. And he has enough money to pay Gilbert as much or more than anyone else

If he would land in SA, Dallas, or even the Lakers Arenas would be viewed as a guy that just came there to get a ring. Here he'd be viewed as the team leader of a team that's rising up the ladder to compete for a ring. I've got my guess which he'll choose.

I've been a Wizards/Bullets fan since I attended a game in Earl "The Pearl" Monroe's rookie year. I've seen alot of players come and go over the years, but we've not had a point gaurd with these kind of talents since Monroe.

I was a fan of this team long before Arenas got here, and I plan on being one long after he leaves. So what ever happens next summer, I figure Grunfeld will end up with a pretty good team either way.

Since age keeps being brought up here as some kind of insult I'm wondering when did 50 get old? My younger son got married over the weekend, my new duaghter in law's 83 year old great uncle was there from Mexico. He danced the Tango and the Salsa. My dad will be 80 next week and was there having a great time too.

Can't change your age, only how you live and think. Some people are old and stuck in a rut by 25 and pine about high school as "back in the day". Some are still living and enjoying themselves despite the ravages of age to nearly 100.

People that flinge insults around useally don't have anything intelligent to say.
So go ahead DC man88, have at it...

Posted by: GM | October 16, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure why you continue to engage in conversation with DCMan88 on the issue of Gilbert Arenas because all it does is devolve into a war of insults with nothing substantive added to the basketball conversation. If you want to engage DCMan88 do it on non-Gilbert issues, because usually that is when he makes his best, or most interesting points. If he brings the issue back to Gilbert, ignore it for heaven's sake!

Posted by: George Templeton | October 16, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Both Jarvis and Navarro are having very good preseasons.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

When the season starts it will be interesting to see if Arvis can consistently hit his umpshot.

I'm sure the Detroit guys set better picks and move the ball around better than the Wiz do. Haven't they always?

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Why not simply ignore him, it always ends up with his infatuation with Gil.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Back to Detroit for one second, I have always admired how they play and a team and sell themselves to the public that way. Needless to say, I hate the whole "big three" nonsense. It takes away from the team and we all know the big three could not win anything on their own. Selling the team this way feeds into the idea of an allstar squad of individuals and not a team.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the criticism of the Big 3 concept. And, if I recall correctly, that came from the team, not from the media. San Antonio, for example, never touts its Big 3 of Duncan, Parker and Ginobli though it's clear that everything stems from those 3.

Posted by: Joe | October 16, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. EJ is trying to push one concept, while the Wiz marketing is pushing another. If he were not a rookie/young coach he would be able to say to them, stop this BS you are undermining the team." Oh, well!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Whoever came up with the Big 3 name, I agree that it's destructive to the team concept. It will be a sign of team maturity when we stop hearing so much about the "Big 3." Of course, as people have already said, this is where what's good for PR isn't necessarily what's good for the team itself. So they need to forget about the PR and realize we fans want a winner here.

By the way, EJ is neither a "rookie" head coach nor particularly young (sorry, EJ).

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand everyone talked about Boston's Big 3 back in the day, yet it never detracted from their team style of play. DJ and Danny Ainge might not have been part of the Big 3 but there was no doubting the value of their contribution. In some ways DJ was the rock of that team.

Posted by: Prazak | October 16, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see if having a more definded role will help Jarvis. Toward the end of last year when Jordan quit using him as a power forward he started to play a little better as a 2 & 3.

Another year removed from the knee surgery may help him with his jump shot. Time will tell, Detroit could have found a bargain if he can regain his shot.

Some of Navarro's numbers have came against Euro teams which he's very familar with. Offensive production won't be a problem for Navarro, so we'll probably see his stats posted all year long.

Posted by: GM | October 16, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ivan (or anyone else),
Any TV coverage info? Last time I checked the official Wiz site didn't have TV info listed for several of the pre-season games.

Posted by: wisc. ave | October 16, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

George Templeton is a very smart man.

I admire the fact that as much as he's posted on this blog, he's never wasted his time like the rest of us by trading insults.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Any chance you could dig out a response (or give context) to Gil's answer to what city he would want to play for?

Your colleague at sports bog glossed over it. A little more info would ease the worry.

Posted by: CreditZard | October 16, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

As usual, DC Man88 spews puerile, sexually metaphoric insults at anybody who dares say anything remotely positive about Gilbert Arenas. It's a textbook case of what pyschiatrists call reaction formation--i.e., DC Man88 secretly is an obsessive fan of Agent Zero, to the point of having homoerotic fantasies about him. But since that conflicts with DC Man88's narcissistic tendencies and causes him excessive anxiety, he compensates by transforming himself into a conspicuous, voiciferous Arenas hater. He attacks other Wizards fans to alleviate the stress of maintaining his own perverse self-delusion. Eventually, however, the pressure will become too intense to bear, and we'll read in the Post about DC Man88 being arrested for breaking into Arenas' house, wearing nothing a pair of GilZero midhighs, in an attempt to take a nap inside Gil's hyperbaric chamber.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 16, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

DCMAN88 -

I have been reading your posts for a while...here's a basic question...my impression is that you think gibert is
a selfish player who can't get them past
the early rounds...

If your ernie grunfeld...would you trade gibert because of is expiring contract and what would try to get for him?

Posted by: flinstone | October 16, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

And Gilbert can fend for himself. Do you think he or the rest of the guys really care what you, DC, I or anyone else on this board thinks? So take a chill pill.

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

lol, brisker that was funny...

Posted by: greg | October 16, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Back to basketball...If AB starts living up to his potential this year, (say 20-25mpg, 10-6-3 with solid D, I know not probable but wishful thinking), might it be a good idea to bring AJ off the bench ala Manu Ginobili, and start Blatche at the 4? He would light up other teams second stringers and could play nearly the same mpg as now. It also might improve the interior D,if Blatche can provide a presence in the paint. Only problem would be Jamison being OK with it, as his ego might take a hit, although he would obviously be on the court at the end of games, when it really matters. Imagine a second unit with some combination of Pech/Songalia, Jamison, McGuire, Mason/Young and Daniels. Basically the team that played the Cavs in the playoffs last year, with some improvements by getting rid of Jarvis and Ruffin, and adding the rooks. Some serious firepower off the bench. Regardless I think the improved depth, as they could have a solid 10 man rotation, will be the biggest difference since last season. Any comments? Lets get coversation back to the Wiz...

Posted by: DT | October 16, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | October 16, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one living in the past (3 months ago) and hoping we sign JCN? He's doing his thing over up in Memphis. He appears to be one dimensional but that one dimension is pretty good. We could always use a 3 point threat off the bench. Also, Jarvis has looked impressive before. He is what we thought he was. ...done. One last thought...Pech loks pretty aggressive offensively. We need to find some time and shots for him this year. He's a threat.

Posted by: mark | October 16, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Jarvis's biggest problem last season was mental. He'd lost confidence in himself and probably sense that others may have lost confidence in him. The chance to start fresh in a new environment was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

"San Antonio, for example, never touts its Big 3 of Duncan, Parker and Ginobli though it's clear that everything stems from those 3."

Not the same thing. There's no big three in San Antonio. There's a really big one (Duncan) and a much smaller other two (Parker and Ginobili). The three of them are not even close to being equals in terms of impact 9numbers notwithstanding). The situation is a little different in D.C. Although Arenas is the alpha dog, there's not nearly as much space between him and Jamison/Butler ans there is between Duncan and the other two.

Posted by: kalorama | October 16, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

hey Mitch:

I know your time is valuable, so I'm deeply sorry for wasting the 45 seconds that you must have spent reading my previous post. Rest assured that the 97.3 percent of my postings on this blog are on serious matters, such as AB's improvement as a low-block defender and whether Nick Young is going to start attacking the rim at some point instead of setting for perimeter Js in the fashion of post-injury Jarvis Hayes.

regards,
Brisker

Posted by: John Brisker | October 16, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I suggest everyone go look at ESPN's TrueHoop today. There is a link to a story about Gilbert Arenas from the game against Dallas at George Mason. This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Can Ivan or Steinberg confirm this for us?

Posted by: Steven | October 16, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Brisk, AB better do some low-block defending or it could be a long season with Poet out and EJ's 2 security blankets gone-- ie. Booth and Ruffin.

I sometimes think Ernie got rid of Booth, Ruffin and Hayes to absolutely force EJ to give the young guys some PT by depriving him of other options.

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

homework assignment/contest for the young kids that we have bickering here: Why don't you use your free time a little more productively and go track down some Wiz TV coverage info for us geezers on here. The winner gets candy.

Posted by: wisc. ave | October 16, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Brisket Boy again proves that he's nothing but a meat head, namely beef brisket.

The only way I would possibly break into Gilby's house is if I was a movie star and had to save your father from Gilby's supposed dungeon.

Anyone recall Pulp Fiction? I be Bruce Willis. Gilby be the shopkeeper. Your dad be Ving Rhames.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"John Brisker -- how about talking about the Wiz here and saving the amateur psychiatry for your diary or something. All these tit-for-tat posts are tiresome and frankly you guys always want to blame DC but half the time you are instigating it.

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 01:36 PM "

Mitch, I must say, that is a great idea. You hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"The comments about DCMAN88 are freaking hilarious. I heard that he used to email Gil a while back and Gil cut him off at some point and stopped responding. Since then, straight hating. Not sure if it's true or not. Anyway, I've been reading this blog for a while and it's easiest to just ignore posts you don't like and only respond to what interests you.

Posted by: mark | October 16, 2007 02:09 PM "

Mark, I was emailing your mom while she was doing those live internet peep shows until her rates when up because the cost of crack went up too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 16, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Also, he would be an additional scoring threat on the second team, what with Pech and AD/Song doing their thing with the pick-and-roll.

Posted by: iceberg | October 16, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 03:50 PM

Why is everything EJs fault. Ernie brought these guys in, so EJ worked with what he was given. If you don't like the guys, why not just say Ernie should find better talent? And what young guys from last year would you have like to have seen more of. AB was given a chance early in the season, and did nothing ( based on his questionable work habits as mention by Ivan in an ealier post, we can understand why his time dwindled early in the season). Then Jamison was injured, AB filled in very well, but then he too got injured, so what were we left with?

I just find it funny the EJ can do no right, and Ernie can do no wrong with some of you guys.

Since the two of them came in the same year, the wiz have made the playoffs 3 of 4 years ( with a questionable bench that seems much improved this year). The wiz are one of the most exciting teams to watch ( according to media sites ). No they haven't been playing defense, but it seems that they will try to address it this year ... of course they said the same thing last year.

Let's just pass the praise/blame around accordingly if it must be done at all.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 16, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"DT, about AJ going to the bench if Blatche has a breakout year: his last season in Dallas, 2003-04, AJ won Sixth Man of the Year. So I doubt his ego would take a hit if that were to happen."

By his own admission, he didn't like coming off the bench and wanted out of Dallas in the worst way.

Posted by: kalorama | October 16, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

The only other preseason game that will be televised by Comcast is this Friday night's (19 Oct) game.

Then we will have to wait until the season begins at Indiana on 31 Oct.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

2cents, I see your point. I meant it when I said I "sometimes think." I was not asserting it for a fact that Ernie was thinking like that, and I know enough to realize I can't possibly figure out EG's motives. So I wasn't trying to blame EJ for everything. I was simply speculating based on my perception that EG has constructed an awfully young bench for this season (at least pre-Massenburg:) and my other perception that EJ is not wild about giving young guys too much PT.

I don't think that EJ can do no right. And I've questioned a heck of a lot of EG's moves, including not upgrading the bench enough (in my opinion) over this off-season. And what did he get in return for JCN's rights? Bupkis.

On the other hand, I simply can't make head nor tails of EJ's rotations, especially late in games. And I've also seen the post-game commentators and others who know more than I do at a total loss to explain those rotations. Most teams have fairly regular rotations that are somewhat comprehensible, and maybe it would help if EJ would explain his thinking through the media more. Also, I can't understand how a guy is good enough to play 15 or 20 minutes one game and then doesn't play for the next 3 or 4 games at all.

Just the ruminations of a long-time fan who's not calling for anyone's head.

Posted by: Mitch | October 16, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Some could argue that Hayes, Ruffin, Mason and Booth did not contribute too much last year, so what could EJ do - try to construct a second unit with these guys or do it in a different way.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

EJ seems to have something to work with this year and a lot more flexibility in the lineups he can put out there. Maybe we will get to see if EJ can coach this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Jamison will at some point make a great sixth man for this team. If Blatche becomes a consistant beast in and around the lane it could be late this year.

When Jamison went to Dallas he was still a pretty young guy, at this point of his career I think he's concerned about winning and reducing wear and tear on his body. The scoring option with the second unit.

Blatche's progress would be the key, and Jamison would still get alot of run with the starters. But playing more with the second unit might allow Jamison to compress his scoring and get as many points in fewer minutes.

A second unit with Jamison, Songalia, and Daniels at the core would have more firepower then anything the Wiz put on the court last year.

Jamison could remain as a starter and be the first guy off the court and come back on early with the second unit.

Posted by: GM | October 16, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"By the way, did anyone see the nasty picks Songaila has been setting? He cleared the baseline for Blatche in the 4th quarter Sunday against Philly, in a move that looked like something straight out of the Bad Boys/Laimbeer-Mahorn combo of yore.

"Posted by: iceberg | October 16, 2007 04:11 PM"

Yup!
Eddie Jordan was asked if he thought Massenburg was the Wiz most physical player and his reply was though he may not look it, Songaila was the most physical player on the floor.

Posted by: rgz | October 16, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Jamison is only 31 years old. While not a spring chicken, that's still a ways away from the NBA rocking chair. Coming off a season where he averaged 18 and 8 and two years removed from an All-star slot, I doubt he's anywhere near the point where he's starting to think about playing a reduced role off the bench or seeing himself as a backup.

That said, in the (I think, very) unlikely event that Jordan did move him to the bench, Jamison is enough of a leader and a professional that he wouldn't allow his displeasure with the move to become a distraction, but I don't believe for a second that he would be okay with it.

Posted by: kalorama | October 16, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wisc. ave | October 16, 2007 03:55 PM

Yahoo beta TV guide is showing Comcast 429 at 8:30 over Dish Network. I will check Dish sched when I get home.

Posted by: rgz | October 16, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rgz | October 16, 2007 05:56 PM

Oops, Comcast 429 is the Chicago channel, vs. 424 MidAtlantic Comcast channel.

Posted by: rgz | October 16, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"But it should also be taken into account that the Vikings have Steve Hutchinson as an O lineman."

GREAT point Lisa. Very good point indeed! The Redskins should take note but I don't wanna get started on those clowns.

"Since age keeps being brought up here as some kind of insult I'm wondering when did 50 get old?"

Since OLD 50 year old guys named "GM" who watched Earl "The Pearl" Monroe play here blogged with a bunch of guys on Ivan Carter's blog. ;)

I dunno man, it's just a number. I'm almost 38 and I still see that dumb 20 year old kid looking back at me. Just a little less hair. ;)

On a side note I have a hard time believing Arenas is going anywhere. He's gonna get a max deal with an extra year, kinda dumb to leave that on the table.

"Both Jarvis and Navarro are having very good preseasons."

Agreed, but it's just preseason. I am having a hard time watching these games but I wanna know how the kids are doing. I know the vets will be fine. I still think Navarro is gonna come back and hurt the Wiz.

"By the way, did anyone see the nasty picks Songaila has been setting?"

YES, and the Laimbeer is a great comparison.

"Not the same thing. There's no big three in San Antonio."

They also have a guy that can D down anyone.

I think we will know fairly quickly what the Wiz are about. If they stall coming out of the gates like they did last year...well, we may have last years team all over again.

I would love to see them come out strong this year and not look back.

Two more weeks....

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 16, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I see your point 2cents, but just because EG brought in Booth and Ruffin (Hayes was drafted before EG came in) doesn't mean he envisioned the manner that EJ used them.
I think Mitch is correct, I think EG got rid of those three to force EJ to use Blatche and Haywood to the fullest extent that they should be used.
Lets face it things like Jamison at the 5 and Hayes at the 4 last year drove us crazy as well as his overuse of Ruffin. I like EJ and want him to succeed, but to do that he needs to make use of all the tools he has and he didn't do that last year.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 17, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

DC Creep88 is a demented freak. He needs help.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Mitch and George ... I too am a long time wiz fan. I sometimes question Eddies rotations. I didn't like how he would go small (and stay small) last year instead of trying to make the opposition play to our strengths. I didn't understand ABs lack of playing time until I read Ivan's column earlier this summer.

But having been a wiz fan for such a long time ... I can't remember one coach that has been here where I ( and a lot of other folks ) didn't question the rotation. EJ is a major improvement over anyone that's been here in the past decade and a half. So is Ernie. I don't even want to think about the situation before Ernie got here. He has made tremendous progress, with just a couple of stinkers.

I guess I'm just happy with the excitement and expectations of having a decent team year after year. Yes I want them to get better and go farther. I just think the combination that we have at GM and Coach is working, and I don't buy into all of that bull about who's who's guy, and who brought in who. Its working, both guys have made mistakes, but for the most part, this is an exciting team with good players.

I will also bet the farm on Gilbert being here next year. Its all about the money (which seems to equate to respect in the NBA).

Until AB becomes a 15-20 point a night guy, I don't think we will see EJ start him ahead of AJ. I especially wouldn't expect to see that this year, since the wiz obviously want to resign AJ at the end of the year ... so why possibly upset him before you resign him. He seems a little fragile right now ( I do think age is showing because he was an iron man ), so we may see a much more of AB than is currently planned.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 17, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe anyone would actually think
DCMann88 could ever be in any way neutral when it came to Gilbert Arenas. It can't happen. There is something about a self-loving, self - promoting, self-marketing, me first kind of personality that really rubs him the wrong way and to be honest..
I do understand. I'm not fond of obnoxiously absored with self people either but it appears to be what gets him noticed. It can get sickening - to be honest. But I can manage it by turning off the set. BUT DCMan is much more passionate about it. Oh my gosh... don't expect him to write anything rational about Arenas. It ain't happenin.

As someone wrote..he's the Wiz PaParrzzi

Posted by: Airphone JB | October 17, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If I was Les BouleS/Gilby paparazzi, I'd be making money off this, not wasting time bringing Gilby lovers down to earth on this blog.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2007 2:01 AM | Report abuse