Postgame breakdown

Just got back from the Wiz lockeroom. Antawn Jamison said he is "fine" after leaving the game with a mild left ankle sprain at the end of the first quarter. He was going for a loose ball in the corner when he turned his foot on the leg of a photographer sitting on the baseline. "Dude looked at me like I did something to him!" Jamison joked. "I should've pulled a Dennis Rodman."

Andray Blatche also rolled ankle in the first half but returned and finished with 14 points on 5 of 8 shooting with four rebounds and three blocks. For the most part, I thought he played a solid game. He was matched up against Ben Wallace for a chunk of it and had some nice plays: a post-up and move where he whirled around Wallace, drew the defense and dropped a nifty little pass to a cutting Oleksiy Pecherov, who drew a foul. Later, Blatche squared Big Ben up on the baseline and when Ben showed reluctance to step out, Blatche knocked down the 15-foot J. He also had a couple of really nice blocks and I liked seeing him suck it up and play after rolling his ankle. That's always good sign.

Dom McGuire had six blocks including one when he came over and swatted away a Kirk Hinrich layup attempt. He got another when vet Andres Nocioni drove right and tried to lose him with a pump fake. It didn't work as D-Mac stayed down and then swatted the ball away when Nocioni rose up to shoot. The kid has excellent defensive instincts and he's physically solid. There were a couple of plays when Nocioni tried to punk him out of position but Dom wasn't having it. He pushed back.

Nick Young (16 points on 5 of 10 shooting) had some good moments and some bad ones. He split a couple of double teams (as mentioned in my previous post) to get his own shot but could have had a few more buckets had he finished in the open floor or at the rim. He's raw but talented and learning. Mostly, I like the kid's attitude. There's a bit of care-free Cali boy in him and I think that's a good thing. He gets a little down on himself when he messes up but doesn't lose confidence.

Now, for the ugly part. The shooting was woeful (32.3 percent for the game and 0-14 from long range) the ball movement, cutting and screening was too often sloppy, late or nonexistent and the result was 21 turnovers against a typical Scott Skiles defense.

Arenas was 1 of 5 and finished with eight points and one assist. He hasn't shot well so far in the presason but didn't sound worried about it when I talked to him after the game. "Naw, I'm shooting well in practice and the pregame so the shot feels good. I'm just trying to go out here and get a rhythm in these games. I got my wind now so I'm just going out there and moving, moving well with and without the ball."

Eddie Jordan said his young guys learned some valuable lesson against a good, disciplined team tonight: "For our young guys tonight, it was not a good matchup. However, they did get a lot of good learning experience from it. They got to learn from a playoff team what has to be done to get into that class. If it had been fight, however, they would have called it."

The offense was particularly stagnant in the third quarter when the Wiz were outscored 36-20. Donell Taylor struggled to get the team into its sets, Pesh had three of his five turnovers the Bulls got whatever shot they wanted by moving the ball around the perimeter or by driving and kicking to the open man. It was a clinic, basically, but not unexpected considering that the Wiz mostly had kids going against vets like Hinrich, Wallace, Luol Deng, Nocioni and even Joe Smith.

Oh, and I cabbed by the place where the Chicago Bears play football and no, it hasn't been renamed "Adrian Peterson field." (Had to sneak that in there for my Chicago boy Aston). I'm outta here......

By Ivan Carter |  October 16, 2007; 11:33 PM ET
Previous: Tender ankles | Next: Remembering Zalgiris

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Blatche is already better than Kwame Brown ever was for us.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | October 17, 2007 12:53 AM

Hey for anyone who has DirectTV the game was on channel 640 (Chicago's Comcast Sports). If you missed it, they are replaying it at 3am if you wanna stay up, or got Tivo.

I was impressed by Blatche. He looks big out there, and looked surprisingly big next to Joaquin Noah. Had one eye catching one-handed tomohawk slam after the whistle had already blown. Looks really good defensively, all around played very well really. He's got a ton of talent, and his talent is rare at center, he's going to be difficult for teams to match up with. At times he looked like the best player on the floor, and that was going against the likes of Ben Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, Joe Smith, Luol Deng, and Noah.

Nick Young had his best game, and played well. At the end he was running alittle point even. Shot looked good, and looked good on D. McGuire was very good but his shot was off. He is a vicious defender, and a guy who can impact the game on D. I watch him and I think KMart and Artest.

Pecherov was good, made some impressive moves to the hoop, handles surpringly well, and has a sweet stroke. Rebounds well too and plays aggressively. Mason did nothing to impress me, and Taylor is just pretty terrible really. I'm starting to feel what Ray was saying about the concern at SG. Seeing how well Jarvis and La Bomba are playing makes it even more annoyingly noticable. Stevenson is not an impressive starter. Mason is not an impressive backup/3pt shooter off the bench. Hopefully can improve quickly.

Hall looks like Caron out there. There were a couple plays he made, and a couple shots where I was like is that Caron, no it's Hall. I don't think Massenburg played.

Posted by: Darnell | October 17, 2007 1:08 AM

Just by reading Darnell's comments, you'd think Les BouleS won this preseason game, but instead, they lost by 21 pts.

Man, it sounds like AB's got a ton of talent, upside, passing ability, and of course court awareness. If I was EJ, I'd sit AJ and have him come off the bench for AB. Let AB play the 4!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 17, 2007 1:19 AM

It sounds like Blatche is coming along very nicely. Maybe we have a most improved candidate on our hands this season.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 17, 2007 1:21 AM

McGuire was getting eaten alive by Nocioni at one point but he is still obviously a baller. AB needs major minutes and should be the first off the bench. Nick Young was really impressive. It appears he can get his leaning jumper off at any time and it was going in last night. I'll shut up with the JCN talk. If NY keeps improving, he'll be a far better player because he can penetrate a little bit. Donnell shouldn't mke the team. He's regressed since last year. Mason is not a PG but he's better that Taylor because he can a least shoot and he's an ok ballhandler. Pech is a weapon on the pick and post play because he'll kill you if you give him room to shoot the 3. He's also willing to crash the boards and looks pretty decent out there. He should get consistent minutes as well. Based on the way Gil is playing, it appears he's going to try to but into more of a team concept and actually play the role of distributor first, shoot second. Not sure how this'll work out but we'll see. It could be that our other guys are good because opponents pay so much attention to Gil. On a side note, Jarvis Hayes made some comments in Detriot that he preferred being there because the Pistons were a 'team' while the Wiz was all about 'me'. This from a guy whose jumper was featured on 'America's Most Wanted' because it's been lost for 2 years. Show some class, Jarvis. The Wiz carried him and paid him for a few unproductive years and gave him chance after chance to EARN a starting spot. You'd think he'd be grateful. Can't wait to play them so we can watch his signature "take two dribbles to a spot with your head down and shoot" move miss YET AGAIN.

Posted by: mark | October 17, 2007 7:38 AM

I have been reading this blog quite regularly for some weeks and as a displaced Bullets fan, it makes me feel like I am home at some bar with the boys pretending to be GM. I live in the UK now and see the Wiz maybe twice a year.

I am encouraged by the talk of Blatche's progress and can't wait to see Macguire play. What I do not understand is the quick trigger most of the comments place on AJ's future. Since his leadership hit the team, they have been producing. He is the guy who tells Gilbert to come back down to earth. He is the one who calls player meetings to work on the big man soap opera of recent years. His value to the team is so much more than what you see in a given game, but when you see him dropping floaters on any defender in the league, what is not to love of his value on the court? Reduce his role and you reduce the power he has to sway team mates. You could replace the talent, but never the leadership. To trade him for equal court value may be easy but we would never get his worth off the court.

Posted by: yankeevicar | October 17, 2007 7:59 AM

Gil is done here, book-it. Gil will never be the player that he was until he leaves Washington...and he WILL leave.

Damn Ernie Grunfeld for overpaying to keep his mediocre friend DS, & not having a legit 3rd-string PG under development. Next year we will have the 32yo AD running the show with no back-up to speak of.

Had we signed JCN and Aaron Miles, and let DS walk, we could have managed w/o Gil short-term.

Posted by: Wizzy | October 17, 2007 8:03 AM

Wizzy, is the glass half empty?

I too caught the game on Direct TV channel 640 but not until it was too late - 4th qtr. Was it me or were the Comcast Chicago announcers horrible? NOw Buckhantz and Chenier are homers as well but these guys were second rate.

Someone mentioned yesterday that Blatche should start with AJ coming off the bench. While that is intriguing, I don't think EJ would go for that especially since Blatch hasn't proven himself in this league yet.

Posted by: Juan DC | October 17, 2007 8:27 AM

Kobe Bryant trade scenario's from ESPN. I would do this trade in a heartbeat if I was the Wizards. ESPN has the Wiz as the #1 contender behind the Bulls:

1. Washington Wizards

Could the Wizards get both MJ and Bryant in the same decade?

The Wizards' package: Gilbert Arenas, Nick Young, Darius Songaila and a first-round draft pick.
(View the deal in our Trade Machine.)

The Wizards would immediately become Eastern Conference contenders. And with Arenas expected to opt out of his contract next summer, the Wizards would remove the risk that he bolts for another destination ... while getting Bryant right now.

For the Lakers, Arenas would return home to add some sizzle to the roster, and Young, another local product, is an athletic 2-guard who would eventually take Bryant's spot in the lineup.

----------------

Man the Wizards would be awesome. We all know you can't win an nba championship with a PG who scores 30ppg (Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis etc...). The Wizards would have a starting lineup of Antonio Daniels, Kobe, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Brandon Haywood with a deep bench. Andray Blatche and Dominic McGuire are going to be beasts this year off the bench...DO THIS DEAL WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 8:30 AM

Um, no, don't do that deal, Wizards!!!!! Keep Arenas right here.

Ivan, we would all be interested to know some knowledgeable predictions about playing time for Blatche and DMac. Is Blatche looking at 20-25 minutes a night or more like 15 minutes when the season starts? Is DMac looking at something closer to 10 or 15?

Posted by: sfam | October 17, 2007 8:43 AM

Taylor is here until a decent point guard gets cut. its a little late in his tenure with this team to be over dribbling and making so many turnovers.

Posted by: Monte | October 17, 2007 8:49 AM

Good question, sfam. My fear is that EJ will do like he always does and give 40 minutes a game to the starters. One one hand it's understandable because coaches have to win for job security and they want their best on the floor. On the other hand, player development suffers. AB did not just learn how to play this year just as Ben and Rasheed Wallace didn't suddenly become all stars after leaving us. They had it in them but their growth was slowed by coaches who refuse to play young guys and let them play through mistakes. I contend that had AB been given some mop up minutes over the last couple years, he'd be ahead of where he is right now. Personally, while I admire Songaila's hustle, there's no way he sees the court before AB, Pech or McGuire. Those 3 guys are bigs with much more upside and need playing time to get better. Of course, in the clutch minutes of a tight game, we all know Darius will be out there before any of them. When will we learn?

Posted by: mark | October 17, 2007 9:04 AM

also...as much as I like Gil, that deal is a steal for us. Kobe for Nick (rookie unknown), Arenas (great player who relies on quickness coming off cartilage damage knee surgery), Songaila (2nd tier undersized big man) and a pick (late first) ? I'd rather we roll with the team we have but it LA approached me with that deal, I take it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't pursue it, though.

Posted by: mark | October 17, 2007 9:09 AM

no, don't do the trade! We'd get Kobe's max salary (you KNOW Gilbert ain't getting Kobe money) and all of his drama - and no guarantee that he hasn't already peaked, and heading downhill, and we'd lose Nick Young - we drafted him for a reason, right? and Darius, and we'd end up as another one of those double-team-the-superstar teams that make the playoffs and exit in the first round - we already do that, we don't need to take on more money to do so - not to mention the loss of our draft pick? Trades like that are for fantasy basketball, not for real life. I hope.

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 17, 2007 9:15 AM

Mark ... did you forget that AB was given the starting duties when AJ got hurt last year. He performed will, but then he got injured and was not available for the rest of the season. I think he was played a little during the playoffs ( but I don't remember ).

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 17, 2007 9:54 AM

Are you guys kidding me? You know Kobe Bryant is one of the best players of all time (like him or not). I mean he can score more and more efficiently than Gil and plays D! DS and NY, who the F*&^ cares about those guys, we are talking about Kobe Bryant. And he is 28, he has at least 4 more years of dominance in him. For the Wiz that would essentially be trading Gil for Kobe, and we would dominate. Win the East no question. There is no way the Lakers would give up Kobe for anything less than Gil, Caron and some throwins/draft picks, and then the Wiz are not better. But if we get Kobe and keep Caron, AJ, and Blatche, Look out east, look out celtics, look out NBA the wiz are legit. But dont get your hopes up the lakers would be trading Kobe of 65 cents on the dollar and I highly doubt they would make the same mistake once after getting burned by the Heat trade

Posted by: Ben | October 17, 2007 10:00 AM

If Ernie traded Gil for Kobe and Caron for Kwame, he would officially be the greatest GM of all time, and no one from LA would ever talk to the Washington again

Posted by: Ben | October 17, 2007 10:01 AM

Well the deal couldn't be done until Dec. 15 (you can't trade a player you just acquire, in this case Nick Young until then). Not only that is there any guarantee that Kobe wouldn't opt out after 2009. Look we may lose Gilbert after this season but do we want to give up Nick Young and Songaila for the opportunity to have the same thing happen after 09. I don't think so.

And Wizzy, I am not sure Gilbert will leave, but you are dead on about choosing DS over Navarro and possibly Miles. And it seems that the big reason was to placate Gilbert and that my biggest problem with that whole thing.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 17, 2007 10:03 AM

Ivan,
First and foremost, your updates are great. I would love for someone in the media to ask Deshawn about how is "you cant see me" hand gesture move has been copied throughout the sports world. In the LSU/Florida game a couple of weeks ago, every time an LSU player scored they were doing it. Granted Arenas is hilarious and deserves the bulk of the coverage,I think Deshawn merits some more coverage because hes pretty entertaining too.

Posted by: Matt | October 17, 2007 10:11 AM

"On a side note, Jarvis Hayes made some comments in Detriot that he preferred being there because the Pistons were a 'team' while the Wiz was all about 'me'. This from a guy whose jumper was featured on 'America's Most Wanted' because it's been lost for 2 years."

Oh SNAP!

You sure it wasn't on a milk carton too? ;)

Posted by: iceberg | October 17, 2007 10:40 AM

"McGuire was getting eaten alive by Nocioni at one point but he is still obviously a baller. Nick Young was really impressive."

That's funny because I thought just the opposite. :) DMac blocked several shots while I thought Young was out of control on several drives.

I think DMac is a solid as Doc said back when they drafted him. I'm a believer now. :)

Overall, I think when the season starts the "kids" aren't going to see much action. It is pretty clear that after watching the game Chicago's bench is better then the Wiz's, my take it's just experience is all.

I think Songaila is going to have good and bad nights depending on how the refs call games. He's very physical, something we didn't see last year due to injury. It's going to be one night were he puts up 10 points and others he picks up 4 fouls a couple minute span. We'll see.

"DO THIS DEAL WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's just a dumb fantasy trade and stop trying to incite an argument. :P

"This from a guy whose jumper was featured on 'America's Most Wanted' because it's been lost for 2 years."

That's why his name has been "Arvis" for the last few years. The guy laid enough bricks to build another Great Wall of China. If he did say that he's got a lot of nerve considering the Wiz did everything in thier power for him to succeed when he should have been at the very least buried deep on the bench. Big talk coming form a bench warmer. They did nothing but support that guy. What a loser.

"Win the East no question."

Then how come he hasn't been able to win the West or a championship with out his buddy Shaq that he ran out of town? That's a silly exaggeration.

Kobe is a cancer and is one of the most selfish players in any sport. Just say "no" to Kobe. Please stop with this fantasy BS stuff, I'll take Arenas anyday over Kobe.

"And it seems that the big reason was to placate Gilbert and that my biggest problem with that whole thing."

Agreed George. I think the Navarro thing is going to come back and haunt the Wiz down the road, I really do.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 17, 2007 11:00 AM

One last thing...

I would like to see Pesh play more minutes at center this season. That guy can rebound the heck out of a ball and get to the line. He takes up a lot of space.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 17, 2007 11:03 AM

I don't care how old Kobe is he has been in the league for a long time 11yrs thats alot of wear and tear on a body regardless of age.Plus we run the princeton thats a big change when you've run the triangle your whole life,our O doesn't fit Kobe and like posted before kobe is a headcase.It's not a good trade for us

Posted by: JWC | October 17, 2007 11:12 AM

Why does anyone think yet another spot up scorer who can't play defense would be a plus for the Zards?

Hello, JCN would be a turnstile on the perimeter. Just like Gil and AJ. We'd need to score 110 a night just to keep up.

Mr. 50 plays defense. That's what this team needs from it starting 2 guard (there is plenty of guys ready willing and able to hoist up shot after shot in).

Posted by: efence | October 17, 2007 11:30 AM

I'll take Gilby over Kobe any day. I secretly love him.

Posted by: DC MAN88 | October 17, 2007 11:49 AM

McGuire looked great on defense. He was not hitting his shots, but he had 6 rebounds and was credited with 5 blocks - I counted more like 6 or 7 blocks, but he was only credited with 5.

And is it me, or does Chicago seem to get away with more reach-ins than other teams. Looked like every time down the floor in the 3rd quarter, a Chicago player was reaching in deflecting the ball; leaving a Wizard player behind looking at the Ref.

And Juan DC, you're right! The CSN Chicago announcers suck! I think we're just spoiled because we have Buckhantz and Chenier.

Taylor is a bust... After 2 years and 3 training camps, you'd think he would get a clue. The offense simply stalls when he is in the game.

I sure hope that we see the same line on a consistent basis from Blatche. 27 minutes, 14 points on 5 of 8 shooting, 1 Assist, 3 Blocks, 4 Rebounds. Every game I've watched so far, he has looked like the best player on the floor.

The next two games are critical for Pecherov and Young. From what I've seen, I think McGuire has impressed Eddie Jordan enough to garner some minutes in his rotation; but Pecherov and Young may be scratching for mop-up playing time. Expecially Young. I'm not one of those that wants to declare him a bust, but he is making typical rookie mistakes - and you know Eddie will not want to play him. Pecherov needs to settle down and get into the flow of the offense. Seems like every time he touches the ball, he shoots. He would be better if he would just play defense, rebound and let the offensive opportunities come to him naturally. Sweet stroke though.

Posted by: Rook | October 17, 2007 11:55 AM

SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPP about trades, jesus christ. We are going to do well this year, very well. And you want to a trade a superstar in Gil, your nuts, this whole damn offense was put together for HIM.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | October 17, 2007 12:05 PM

"Ray - I agree. Kobe is a cancer. I don't care if he is the best player in the league, Ernie G should just say NO!"

Well, since there's no chance of the Lakers offering to trade Kobe for Arenas, there won't be anything for him to say NO to.

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 12:06 PM

Really enjoy the updates Ivan since I haven't had a chance to see a game yet.....

I definitely think Arenas needs to stay here - I don't think Kobe would mesh well in D.C. Arenas is a better fite for this team.

Posted by: sports fan | October 17, 2007 12:15 PM

While it's an intriguing possibility, I can't really think that a Kobe deal to Washington is a real possibility.

Big question to me would be what would Kobe think of the deal, Can't imagine that Grunfeld would pull the trigger until he was A: Convinced that there no way possible that Arenas would ever sign here.
B: Had a commitment from Kobe that we could get him signed long term.

I'm not as convinced as Wizzy that Arenas is out of here, it looks like me unless there was a sign and trade involved Gilbert would leave something like 20-30m on the table to just sign somewhere else.
I'm not even sure that there's too many teams with alot of cap money available next summer.

A Kobe deal would be interesting to think about but I'd be surprised if it would ever happen. The ESPN guys must sit around and dream some of this stuff up themslves.

Their Football guys do seem like do actually talk to guys and get some inside info. In basketball it seems that they talk more to agents that are just trying to start rumors.

Last night's Chicago game was a classic example of a preseason game where two coaches were out to accomplish different goals. Eddie seemed to want to give alot of minutes to his Young guys and even when the Vets were in the concentration was again on D in the first half.

Skiles gave his starters alot of minutes and they seemed to have the peddle to the metal like they were really trying to make a statement.

I continue to be impressed with our young guys, even though they were outmanned playing against Chicago's starters in the third quarter they were still doing some good things.

They got some exposure on the court to what a playoff caliber team looks like. The score ended up ugly, but it was a learning experience for the young guys.

Posted by: GM | October 17, 2007 12:17 PM

Watching that game was cool but since it was on Chicago's version of Comcast, every highlight was a Bull highlight. Where's the replay of McGuire spiking Hinrich's shot attempt out of bounds? Also, I bet teams are glad that Noah didn't come out last year. he seems like a bigger version of Sideshow Bob Varejao. I'd have shot myself if I was the GM that took him first. I agree, Burg with a U. There will not be a trade so we may as well forget about it. Even with a good player like Kobe, there'd be a transition period and it could take a year or so. We're better off with our own superstar. With our depth, if we have no ijuries this year and our coach cooperates, I see no reason why we can't win upwards of 50-55 games. people keep talking about Boston but are their big 3 REALLy that much better than ours? I'd say it's within 10 points and a few rebounds difference. The questions is: Can their 4-10 players hold our 4-10's jocks? HeII NO ! Once 'experts' like Hollinger (who called Gabe Pruitt and Nick Young this years 2 biggest bust probables based on his statistics) see what they can do, they'll eat their words.
One last thing...It seems like teams and players that commit to playing defense get a reputation for playing tough D and get away with holding and reaching more than others. Once we show a commitment to it, we'll get some Chicago, San Antonio, Detroit no calls, as well hopefully.

Posted by: mark | October 17, 2007 12:23 PM

keep in mind Kobe has the only active no trade clause in his contract.So unless he says yes to a trade it can't happen

Posted by: jwc | October 17, 2007 12:25 PM

Seems like the team has committed to throwing Haywood a bone on offense every once in a while this year. I think that'll keep his head in the game and keep him interested on defense. We're running some post up plays for him and at least he's getting a decent shot off even if it doesn't always go in. Just glad I don't have to see any 'Brenda' comments...at least for now.

Posted by: mark | October 17, 2007 12:27 PM

Involving Haywood in the offense is fine as long as they only give him the ball in places where he can really do something with it. Whenever he tries to post up 1o feet from the basket and back his way in or face up and put the ball on the floor, bad things happen. That's not his game .

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 12:38 PM

Kalorama - I watched the game again this morning, paying closer attention to some details. The first play of the Chicago game is a perfect example of what you were talking about. They got Haywood the ball in the low block, he wheeled into the lane for a short jump hook.

Later, is another perfect example when on two consecutive possessions, he got the ball too far away, and both times resulted in turn overs. Once a steal when he tried to dribble closer, the other was a travel.

As long makes one dribble, or a quick move, he is fine. When he's further away and has to create a shot is when he gets in trouble.

I was also watching closely to see why he was only able to get 2 rebounds in 20 minutes. I think it's because he is trying to help too much on defense. It takes him out of position for defensive rebounds. Both Tyrus Thomas and Ben Wallace had offensive rebounds when Haywood went to cover up. He's just not quick enough to flash out at the guard at the free throw line and get back in position for a defensive rebound.

Posted by: Rook | October 17, 2007 1:22 PM

Geez, with this Kobe news, you'd think that Michael Lee would have posted something by now. The one thing I thought I could rely on this world ....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 1:25 PM

Yeah -
Death, Taxes,
Michael Lee lovin Kobe and,
DCboy lovin Gil

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 1:31 PM

Jerry Buss would have to be insane to trade Kobe for him (or anybody else, for that matter, in my opinion). Gil's an awesomely great offensive player, but Kobe's the best perimeter scorer in the game AND the best defender at the 2--as he showed in the tournament of the Americas, he can totally take over the game on D sometimes. Kobe may be an expletive deleted as a human being, but his unhappiness with the Lakers over their failure to build a team around him is justified. (I mean, passing on Jason Kidd because they weren't willing to give up Andrew Bynum? That's even dopier than Caron-for-Kwame.)

I'm glad Blatche, Nick1 and Pech had good games last night, but that third quarter performance is worrisome. After the mostly good defensive performances so far in the preseason (particularly against Cleveland), they became totally discombobulated on D. I didn't see the game, but I was following the gamecast on ESPN and it looked like they weren't closing out on perimeter shooters at all. You can't do that to Chicago, even when Ben Gordon is out. I hope Randy A. gives them some grief at practice about that.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 17, 2007 1:40 PM

That had to have been an imposter filling in for DCMan - too much space between the C&M. DC could care less about Arenas..

who only wants to lite up the court when the press is in full rength..otherwise..he bails.

Hope you DC folks can milk it a bit while he's here..otherwise..he's planning a huge and swift exit.

Posted by: sportstalk 980 | October 17, 2007 1:45 PM

Forget Kobe's no trade clause and the luxury tax. Imagine the following 4 team trade:

Lakers trade Kobe to Wizards
Wizards trade Nick Young, Antonio Daniels, and draft picks to Lakers
Wizards trade Jamison to Jazz
Jazz trade Kirilenko to Suns
Suns trade Marion to Lakers

Check it in the trade machine:

Marion, AD, Young, and #1s is better than anything the Lakers can get straight up with Chicago. This is assuming Paxson will not trade BOTH Gordon and Deng, which I don't think he'd do.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 1:54 PM

Kobe for Gil and others makes the most sense of any trade possibily out there. From a laker pt of view, there is nobody the team will get who will came as close to matching the individual star quality as gilbert. From a wiz point of view, gil is opting out and who knows what he'll do. Plus, the wiz will only go so far with gil. With kobe, they are easily the favorites in the east.

Posted by: wizfan | October 17, 2007 2:11 PM

Why do people propose trades that will never happen. I just don't get it. I apologize for coming off as condescending but I see it all the time. Even so-called professional analysts create trades that make no sense.

The ESPN Insider Gil, Nick, and Songaila for Kobe trade?! I mean, seriously, first off, Kobe most likely wouldn't want to be here. It's obvious that he would push for a tarde to a contender...Chicago, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio. If he were traded here to DC he simply would not have enough depth around him compared to those other cities. And on top of all that, the Wiz run the Princeton. Does this analyst really think Kobe can lead the Wiz to a trophy when his entire professional career has been spent running the triangle?

Bleh.

Posted by: David | October 17, 2007 2:21 PM

*trade

Posted by: David | October 17, 2007 2:22 PM

Rook,

I did not watch last night's game (not on my cable), but I have watched Haywood for 6 yrs. I fully agree with you.

Posted by: Sagaliba | October 17, 2007 2:35 PM

It's hard not to think of Hollinger's evaluation of Young every time he touches the ball. There is no way that guy sees meaningfull court time for a contender like the Wiz who rarely blows anyone out.

I don't mind EG's thinking. Why not gamble with a mid 1st pick? How many of those picks actually pan out? With Young, he's either a superstar in 2 years or out of the league. The preseason is the last we'll see of him for a while.

Posted by: Cballer | October 17, 2007 3:01 PM

I'll just throw this out there to see what people think:

Let's say the Wizards could trade Gil and parts for Kobe, and that as a result, the Wizards would win 5 to 7 more games a year. Let's also say that with Gil, the Wizards would lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs, but with Kobe they would lose in the 3rd round.

Even if I knew all that going in, I'd still rather keep Gilbert. It might be hard to articulate why, but the main reason is that I don't just root for the uniform, I root for the guys in the uniform. Maybe this is an outdated notion, but one reason I root for the hometown team is because these guys live in our town, and some, Gilbert especially, have become important to our town even off the court. They are our guys. Gilbert is our guy and nobody else's, and I'm not willing to ditch him because a better model might be available. Love the one you're with, and all that.

On the flip side, I root for the Redskins a little bit, but could never really pull for Deion Sanders and all the other fantasy players Snyder pulled in a few years ago. Those guys weren't ours; they were just here for a job and an overly generous paycheck.

If all I cared about was performance, I would be a New England Patriot, San Antonio Spur and, as of the last two weeks, Colorado Rockies fan. How obnoxious would that be?

Posted by: Sean | October 17, 2007 3:08 PM

This was in Mondays paper..

Jazz's Kirilenko for Suns' Marion would benefit all involved.

Appears this trade will take place.

Posted by: Sam | October 17, 2007 3:10 PM

Nice post about Jamison, Yankeevicar--spot on. Hopefully you'll use the p2p.de site to see a lot more Wizards game this season.

I also agree with the commenter who said that realistically, Arenas is the only superstar the Lakers can get for Bryant who has the potential to replace him. Considering Arenas' age, intelligence, and popularity online (there's a great blog article somewhere about his soaring trade value as the result of his blogging--I'm not kidding), I think this is true. Everyone already knows the Wizards are going to offer him the max--which means they'll match any other offers. So it's basically up to Arenas to decide whether or not he wants to stay and for Bryant to decide whether or not he wants to come to DC. I can't imagine he would--but if he did, I also can't imagine not pulling the trigger on that trade.

Also agree with the commenter (Mark?) who said that if the Wizards ever get serious about D they'll stop getting the pitty-pat calls on reach-ins. The Bulls have always had a free pass on that, though, due to their old-school rep for defense. Which was pretty much an excuse for their terrible offense back in the 60s. But hey, the teams in the major markets have always had a little extra boost from the league.

Posted by: KTV | October 17, 2007 3:25 PM

MOST players just don't fit in with every given team. Not everybody stars everywhere they go. They have to find their niche. Look at Penny when he left Orlando and went to Phoenix. McDyess when he left Denver was never the same. K-Mart after Jersey. Eddie Jones after LA. I could go on and on. Even some on a lesser level...has Tyronn Lue done anything of consequence since leaving the bench in LA for starter minutes in DC and Orlando? We've had our share of trade busts...Ike Austin, Kevin Duckworth, Mitch Richmond, Granted, injuries have affected some players production.

Posted by: G$ | October 17, 2007 3:43 PM

It's not that I'm pretending that Gil is anywhere near as good as Kobe - its that Kobe couldn't work alongside Shaq - in his prime - even after three rings. Shaq! One of the most likeable pros there is. Even if Kobe stays in his prime for the next seven years, AND does not opt out, AND is able to do more with the Wizards than he did with the Lakers - can you guarantee that he won't be undermining his coach and his team the moment things go wrong? Demanding his teammates get traded away? If Phil Jax couldn't control him, do you think the Wiz can?

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 17, 2007 3:47 PM

"It's not that I'm pretending that Gil is anywhere near as good as Kobe - its that Kobe couldn't work alongside Shaq - in his prime - even after three rings."

But that observation glosses over the more salient fact that the two of them worked just fine together while they were winning three rings. They were teammates for 8 years. That's a long time. Sometimes people just get tired of each other and relationships sour.

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 3:57 PM

Good point, kalorama. But look how they turned out. Shaq went to Miami, fit in (yes, the big money contract helped) and won a championship - and even in Miami's hard times, Shaq has not been a source of strife. Whereas Kobe ... yeah. it's not just success. There are other teams that aren't as good as LA, that have healthier locker rooms ...

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 17, 2007 4:00 PM

KOBE WILL NOT WORK IN OUR SYSTEM.Why get a 29(going on 33 in ball years)for someone who hasn't even hit his prime yet.Truth be it we are only a post man away from being there.If Blatches development continues we are only a year or two away now.why mess everything up.Kobe changes the whole team and players around him.The only way I bring kobe in is if by some way avoiding caps and wants,we trade veermenko and picks for him and that sure as hell won't work.Not to mention Kobe would deny anything to do with coming here

Posted by: jwc | October 17, 2007 4:22 PM

On the point about teams that play tough defense. I once heard Pat Riley in an interview say that every game was a test of wills between a tough minded defensive coach and the referees.

He said that no ref will blow the whistle every trip down the court. The test of wills for a coach is to not to allow your players to back off when early fouls get called. That if you establish how you are going to play the game no NBA ref will foul out your stars in the first half.

He said that was why he often refused to send Ewing or later Mourning to the bench with first half foul trouble and let them play.

His teams in NY were always some of the toughest defensive teams around. I'd say it's worked very well for him over the years.

Having Ayers on the bench and with Jordan now established as a head coach we may be in a position to play tougher defense and get refs to let our guys play. Having established players and a coach that's been to the All Star Game makes a difference. It shouldn't, but it does.

It's nice to have a team that gets a call now and then instead of getting walked on all the time.

Posted by: GM | October 17, 2007 4:33 PM

"Shaq went to Miami, fit in (yes, the big money contract helped) and won a championship - and even in Miami's hard times, Shaq has not been a source of strife. Whereas Kobe ... yeah. it's not just success. There are other teams that aren't as good as LA, that have healthier locker rooms ..."

It's a lot easier for a dominant big man to carry a team to a title than it is for a top wingman. That's always been true (MJ notwithstanding). And it's even easier when you've got a perennial All-Star as your #2 guy. Who's Kobe have?

And it's hardly a shock there's some discontent in the Lakers locker room. That's what happens when a team with big expectations falls short of its goals. As for Miami's locker room ... from were I'm sitting, last season's first round exit was the first time in his Heat tenure that Miami really faced any "hard times."

I'm certainly no Kobe fan, and his attitude can be tough to take, but no GM in his right mind would turn down the chance to get Kobe on his team. The Wiz, however, will never get that chance.

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 4:34 PM

For a co-pilot, Kobe had ... the chance to keep playing with a healthy Shaq. Once he turned him down, who could he possibly want? Or which dominant big man would have gotten along well with Kobe?

I hear you. If I were a GM, I would be tempted too. So I'm glad that we won't get that chance ... Even apart from Kobe's issues, I don't believe in teams that put their hopes, and their salary caps in the hopes of a single superstar. They're good for the highlight reels, and do well in the regular season, and get taken out in the playoff. Now if Kobe vowed good behaviour AND took a salary cut ...

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 17, 2007 4:49 PM

if your tempted to take Kobe hell we should get Artest to wiz+Kobe=the end of the wiz KOBE IS AND ALWAYS BE A LOCKER ROOM DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just pray this senerio never plays into a factor

Posted by: THE TRUTH!!!!!!! | October 17, 2007 4:56 PM

Translation for those of you who speak English:

If you are tempted to take the Kobe for Arenas trade, then hell, we should get Artest too. Artest + Kobe = The end of the Wiz

Kobe is, and always will be, a locker room disease!

I just pray this scenario never comes to pass.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 5:13 PM

From a locker room standpoint, Kobe's no different fron MJ. Do you think MJ would have stood for a teammate who plainly didn't care about staying in shape and improving a dreadful weakness that could be exploited at the end of games? Not a chance, MJ would have killed Shaq, we'd have heard a lot of the same sniping.

The big problem with a Gil/Kobe trade is that it leaves Kobe in the same position as he's in now: Alpha Dog among mutts. Granted, he'd have an easier road to the Finals in the East.

Posted by: Locker Room Cancer | October 17, 2007 5:31 PM

"o you suppose that Kobe's inability to get along with Shaq may have had something to do with the way they went out in their last Finals?

Fat, lazy Shaq, no willing to put in the time or the effort to maintain himself can't handle the long playoff grind. Hyper competitive Kobe realizes that nothing he does will change Shaq so he's got to get away from him?",/i>

In a nutshell.

It seems to be a popular sport to paint Kobe as the bad guy in the split, but there was plenty of blame and bad feeling to go around. Shaq demanded to be traded and said, in no uncertain terms, that if he wasn't then he was out of there as soon as his contract was up. How, exactly, is that Kobe's fault?

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 6:02 PM

"Do you suppose that Kobe's inability to get along with Shaq may have had something to do with the way they went out in their last Finals?

"Fat, lazy Shaq, no willing to put in the time or the effort to maintain himself can't handle the long playoff grind. Hyper competitive Kobe realizes that nothing he does will change Shaq so he's got to get away from him?"

In a nutshell.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 6:03 PM

Somewhere, reading all of these Kobe posts, Michael Lee is smiling....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 6:48 PM

"...but Pecherov and Young may be scratching for mop-up playing time."

I dunno about Pesh because he may be starting before the end of the season me thinks. Your gonna hear me yell alot for that guy as our next startung center. He takes up space and his hands are like a ball magnet for those rebounds. He also gets to the line a lot.

Haywood better perform, Pesh looks like he's the read deal to me.

"I'm not as convinced as Wizzy that Arenas is out of here...."

GM, the wheels would really have to come off the wagon for me to think Gil is going anywhere. You're 100% right, he's not going to pass up that extra year of money to start over somewhere else.

"I'm certainly no Kobe fan, and his attitude can be tough to take, but no GM in his right mind would turn down the chance to get Kobe on his team."

"How, exactly, is that Kobe's fault?"

"Shaq went to Miami, fit in (yes, the big money contract helped) and won a championship - and even in Miami's hard times, Shaq has not been a source of strife."

Good point Gonzo. :)

And yes, I've personally witnessed(no pun) those other players get those calls for many moons. Even as HORRID as the Chicago announcers were, they clearly shared these same sentiments about Arenas. They gushed over him the entire time he was on the floor. Any team in the NBA would give thier right thumb for Gilbert and here are many of you trying to trade him away.

You guys are nuts, I'd take him ANY day over spoiled brat Kobe and I think if you asked a lot of GM's they would say the same thing. You can build a team around Gilbert, it's pretty clear that you can't with Kobe.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 17, 2007 7:13 PM

Translation for those of you who speak English:

Kobe is, and always will be, a locker room disease!

I just pray this scenario never comes to pass.

Sorry mister no name translator I didn't say Artest and kobe.Just kobe =end of wiz artest just fits the head case build.Stick to mowing lawns

Posted by: THE TRUTH | October 17, 2007 8:00 PM

LOL. Sorry, the lack of punctuation, numerous spelling errors and errors in grammar in your post made it almost impossible to decipher.

I'm still not quite sure what your point was.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2007 9:07 PM

"You said it right there Kalo, his "attitude." Again if Kobe is one of the best players ever how come he hasn't won anything since Shaq left yet old, decrepid Shaq has won a title?"

Because Kobe plays in a tough division, in the toughest conference, on a team that doesn't have enough talent, while Shaq plays in one of the weakest divisions of a weak conferences with a perennial all-star and possible future HoFer as his running mate. "Attitude" has jack all to do with it.

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 9:18 PM

I agree with you 100%, Ray, as far as taking Gilbert over Kobe.

Posted by: Tim | October 17, 2007 9:22 PM

Ray, you may be right about Pech. He may be needed, especially if Haywood starts pouting again and starts "tanking" games (as Arenas put it).

I really like the big lineup Eddie has used from time to time this preseason with Haywood, Blatche and Pecherov in at the same time.

I just think Pech needs more time. He's definitely ahead of Young in development; probably because he played overseas last year against pretty good competition. He seems to be pretty good on defense, and I've been pleasantly surprised at his aggressiveness on the boards - but right now, it looks like he's rushing things on the offensive end.

His shoot-first attitude is not what we need from the Center position. Perhaps he's just trying to make an impression on Eddie Jordan. Like I said earlier, if he just sticks to playing decent defense, rebounding and letting he offense come to him naturally; he'll be a lot better. On the other hand, maybe Eddie has told him to shoot. I don't know.

Next televised game, keep an eye on him and see if he is shooting in the flow of the offense, or just shooting whenever he gets the ball.

Posted by: Rook | October 17, 2007 9:26 PM

""How, exactly, is that Kobe's fault?"

I wouldn't trust wikipedia if it told me the sky was blue. Not that it matters, because nothing in that piece disputes my central point.

The facts are still the facts. Did Kobe want Shaq gone? Sure. But Shaq and Phil BOTH wanted Kobe gone. Shaq and Kobe both hated each other. One of them had to go. Jerry Buss chose Kobe. Shaq demanded a trade. Buss traded him (and got screwed in the process). If the Lakers thought Shaq was more valuable, then Shaq would still be a Laker. It's wildly disingenuous to call Kobe out for trying to get rid of Shaq when Shaq was trying to do the same thing to Kobe. Lines were drawn on both sides. They're both equally to blame for what happened.

Despite his "biggest little kid in the world" act, Shaq has just as much ego as Kobe. He's just a little smarter about stage managing it.

Posted by: kalorama | October 17, 2007 9:29 PM

I'm still not quite sure what your point was.

Posted by: | October 17, 2007 09:07 PM

My bad Ms.teacher(period) If you can't get my point you don't know sh*t about hoops(Period) hope that helps you

Posted by: the truth | October 17, 2007 9:46 PM

p.s you still didn't have the balls to put a name to your post(period) And you obviously are only reading my posts(period)Cuase everyone else seems to do the same(period)You must be slow I AM SORRY!

Posted by: the truth | October 17, 2007 9:52 PM

SORRY! (CAUSE) FIGURED YOU WOULDN'T GET THAT

Posted by: THE TRUTH | October 17, 2007 9:53 PM

Amen Kalorama on the Kobe-Shaq thing. Don't forget Shaq berating Buss about getting paid during a preseason game and his famous declaration "I got hurt on company, I will get well on company time." Shaq's delaying of toe surgery had an impact on the Kobe-Shaq relationship and the team being in the right spot to win four straight titles. (like not having to play San Antonio in round 2 for instance).
If you are Buss do you keep old and getting older Shaq at $30 mill. per (which he would've gotten because his contract was grandfathered in under the CBA) or keep the still young, entering his prime Kobe at much less. Any of us would've done 1 or 2 things. Told everybody to work it out or trade Shaq.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 17, 2007 10:22 PM

"I wouldn't trust wikipedia if it told me the sky was blue."

'The light from the sky is a result of diffuse sky radiation which results in a light blue color being perceived by the human eye.'

"Because Kobe plays in a tough division..."

That doesn't cut it, he's one of the best ever so he should be able to win right? Oh that's right, he can't win in the west so now he wants traded. Silly me.

Kobe is going to go to another team and still not be able to win a championship because of his attitude.

Kobe is the T.O. of basketball.

"Any of us would've done 1 or 2 things. Told everybody to work it out or trade Shaq."

Buss *should* have told them both that they were staying and to shut it, but if I remember correctly Shaq had issues with the GM also because the GM favored Kobe.

And NO Keith, I would have traded Kobe and signed Shaq to an extension. Shaq is clearly the better of the two players, the Lakers chose wrong and now they are paying for that choice.

Again, Shaq won a championship AFTER he left the Lakers yet people continue to belittle him. I guess I just don't understand that....unless your name is Mike Lee. ;);)

This "trade Gilbert for Kobe" thing on here is just rediculous to me. People should have more respect for Gil then that, especially after all of the losing seasons here.

Send Kobe's sorry butt to Chicago and tear that team up in process, I could honestly care less. If you are Chicago why would you trade Deng and Gordon for Kobe? Personally I hope they do it then they really will be a jump shooting team.

Good for the Wiz.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 17, 2007 11:31 PM

Oops!

I mean George not Keith. :)

Sorry man!

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 17, 2007 11:32 PM

Remember something else, the Lakers were the team that traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown.

How smart can they really be? ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 18, 2007 12:12 AM

No problem, Ray. But Shaq won a title because of three things. Dwayne Wade, Flip Saunders and the imploding Mavericks. He didn't carry them to the title, Wade did. And that is why I would have chosen Kobe. He can still be an anchor for a title team.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 18, 2007 1:03 AM

"Shaq is clearly the better of the two players, the Lakers chose wrong and now they are paying for that choice."

Exactly my point. It was the Lakers choice. Kobe didn't unilaterally banish O'Neal. Buss and Kupchak wanted him gone too. So blaming Kobe for everything is simply scapegoating.

"Also if I remember correctly Shaq and the Heat had to beat a Western Conference team in a series to win a championship right? They didn't just play the east and win it."

Oh please. You're to smart to actually believe that, and I hope you're smart enough to realize i wouldn't fall for it. You have to win the conference before you can win a title. The year the Heat won there was only one other meaningful contending team in the entire East was Detroit. The last few years, the Lakers had to contend with The Spurs, the Suns, the Mavs, and the Rockets yearly, along with occasional resurgences from the Nuggets, Jazz, and the Clippers.

"That doesn't cut it, he's one of the best ever so he should be able to win right?"

Wrong. Garnett is one of the best ever, and he has a great attitude. How many rings does he have? Nash is one of the best ever, and a great guy. What's his ring count? Ray Allen's a nice guy. He won anything lately?

Conversely, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan were know as mean, arrogant, combative SOBs who pushed, prodded, and openly mocked less talented teammates in practice and sometimes got into fistfights with them. Yet they've got 11 rings between them.

Championships are won on talent. The Lakers, even with Kobe, simply don't have enough. It's just that simple.

Posted by: kalorama | October 18, 2007 1:50 AM

"Last year when Gilbert got that call against Golden State at the buzzer it only reminded me of all the times other team's stars have came to Washington and beat us at the buzzer with a call (or no call).

Posted by: GM | October 17, 2007 04:33 PM "

That's sad, especially when refs are calling games based on personal bets.

Also, I don't recall too many "stars" coming in here and beating Les BouleS at the buzzer, unless you call people like Troy Murphy or Pat Garrity or Zaza P. stars. And, these were money shots, not free throws with no time on the clock.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2007 2:50 AM

Kobe and Shaq have stopped feuding. Why are we?

Posted by: Washington Ball | October 18, 2007 3:30 AM

Ernie is too smart to trade Gil for Kobe. His philosophy is clearly to build a team - and build team chemistry. Case in point: keeping DS this off-season. Kobe is the Anti-Team. But all this talk is really moot, because, even if Ernie got a wild hair going, NO WAY my man Abe Pollin would sign up to bringin Kobe to the Wiz. I'm betting Ernie had to really do some talking to convince Abe to resign Blatche after his arrest this summer.

Posted by: reispace | October 18, 2007 8:21 AM

Posted by: JWC | October 18, 2007 11:47 AM

Posted by: GM | October 18, 2007 1:52 PM

"He didn't carry them to the title, Wade did."

Umm, no. Wade would not have been able to do it without Shaq and I would also say that works the other way around as well.

You guys seem to think because someone doesn't score 30 points a game anymore they are useless. Shaq plays DEFENSE also. Duh!

Honestly, do you all really think if Shaq goes down that year the Heat win a title?

Com'on George.

If Kobe is so great, then he should just stay out in LA and win this year. Oh that's right he can't because of ALL of the excuses everyone has given on here. That's bull doo-doo.

I'll take Gilbert Arenas, thanks. He's done more for DC then Kobe Bryant has ever done but apparently people seem to forget that.

Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves and if he leaves after the season the same people are going to be crying for him to stay.

Kalo we're talking about Kobe not Garnett, and my point is if he's so great to make the Wiz and instant contender then he should be able to do the same out in LA which he has not been able to do. He ran Shaq out of town, now it's someone elses fault. Nothing is ever Kobe's fault according to Kobe. Kobe knew he would always be #2 behind Shaq and he couldn't handle it. Last year he threw his own team mates under the bus on that video but people seem to forget that also. Why? He scores 30 a game(and takes a zillion shots).

Kobe made his own bed now he wants out, he openly lobbied for Shaq to be gone that's why they called it a "feud." Total crybaby, it's not like he went "Oh geeze, Shaq's a great guy and my best buddy ever! I hope we're BFF! Please stay Shaq!"

And yes Shaq had his share of the blame, I'm not stupid. And since you brought it up Garnett didn't go out like that, he kept his mouth shut. Just because McHale could play ball doesn't make him a good GM and eveyone knows that. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges.

"How about the time Barkley threw Juwan Howard out of bounds, grabbed the inbounds pass and drove to the other end of the floor to drop it in at the buzzer...."

Yeah, I was watching that game. It was awesome, lol!

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 18, 2007 3:44 PM

why do they still have Donell on the team.
He looks like Kermet the Frog running on the court. His jump shot is off as well...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2007 4:19 PM

Yes, the Wizards do get more calls than they used to, and it's not just about buzzer beaters either.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when Patrick Ewing was in his heyday and the Bullets were generally awful.

Ewing could ram his shoulder into a Bullet defender and go up for a shot. This should have been an offensive foul but it harldy ever was called that way - the defender was called for the foul. Ewing could do about whatever he wanted.

I never have like this kind of officiating. It should be more evenhanded whether its a good team or bad team, star or not a star, but this is the way its apparently done.

Posted by: Tim | October 18, 2007 5:01 PM

Does anyone take the Wizards seriously - Wizards preview on CBS Sprotsline.

The best and worst case scenarios at the end of the article say it pretty well:

Posted by: Tim | October 18, 2007 5:25 PM

"DC, how about Steve Francis,Mo williams,David West,Mo Pete,Paul Pierce. Maybe not league stars(except Pierce) but major players on those teams.All heartbreaking buzzer beaters.

Posted by: JWC | October 18, 2007 11:47 AM "

Yes, and all of them were pretty funny buzzer beaters, but I don't think any of them got phantom fouled with no time on the clock.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 19, 2007 3:34 AM

Mo Pete with the shot....

Bucky's Response: NOT POSSIBLE, NOT POSSIBLE, NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

Priceless.....