Suns, NBA Champs?

Gilbert Arenas, coverboy of EA Sports NBA Live '08, was already a little upset that he only got a 91 rating on the game, but he might be a little ticked that the video game's simulation for the 2007-08 NBA season has the Wizards again failing to get out of the first round. Yes, the simulation had the Wizards finishing the season 46-36, winning the Southeast Division and the third seed in the Eastern Conference. But it also has the Wiz kids losing to the sixth seeded Miami Heat in seven games.

According to the simulation released by EA Sports, the Phoenix Suns will win the NBA championship by defeating the Boston Celtics in seven games. Steve Nash will supposedly win the NBA Finals MVP after averaging 20 points and 11.7 assists. I'd love to see that in June, but I'm not quite so sure.

NBA Live has Dwyane Wade winning the regular season MVP (I wonder if it took into account that Wade might miss the first month - at least - of the season recovering from knee and shoulder injuries), Ben Wallace winning defensive player of the year (um, are Marcus Camby, Tyson Chandler and Bruce Bowen still around?), Kevin Durant winning rookie of the year (no argument here) and Minnesota's Randy Foye winning most improved award (I'd go with his teammate Al Jefferson or Toronto's Andrea Bargnani or Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge).

How accurate have NBA Live's predictions been in the past? Not very. In the previous two seasons it has been wrong about the NBA champion (San Antonio in 2006 and Dallas in 2007) and the regular season MVP (Allen Iverson - huh? - in 2006 and Kevin Garnett - what? - in 2007), among others. The simulation has been right, though, when it comes to the Eastern Conference representative in the Finals, picking Miami and Cleveland the past two seasons. Does this mean that you should put your money on Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce? Not really. It's just an interesting note.

What team do you see winning it all?

By Michael Lee |  October 19, 2007; 1:44 PM ET
Previous: Crunching the numbers | Next: Gilbert, Antawn out

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

first!!!

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 19, 2007 1:53 PM

Why would Gilby be upset with a 91 rating, being a one dimensional player that he is? What has Gilby done with regard to success in the playoffs, carrying his team, and all that nice stuff? If they give Gilby a 99 rating, what would they give Nash, 199?

It is funny though that the coverboy of the game is just a B+ player.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 19, 2007 1:56 PM

2nd, too. San Antonio will win it all again. Beating wiz or detroit.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 19, 2007 1:56 PM

What team do you see winning it all?

YOUR ... WASHINGTON ... WIZARDS ...

Posted by: Crabhands | October 19, 2007 2:01 PM

"Yes, the simulation had the Wizards finishing the season 46-36, winning the Southeast Division and the third seed in the Eastern Conference."

That's about right, I don't see them winning 50+ games like everyone else on here. And until they show they can beat Miami consitently, they could very well lose to them if they were to face them in the playoffs.

San Antonio is the best team in the NBA, and if you look on back blogs I picked them last year. Crazy how everyone is picking the Suns and Dallas yet AGAIN and not San Antonio.

Oh that's right and Kobe will win the NBA Championship all by himself. :P

As much as people don't want to admit this, Boston's "big 3" is better then the Wiz's "big 3" so they could come out of the East very easily IFFF they stay healthy. I don't think it will be Cleveland this year.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 19, 2007 2:03 PM

I don't play video games, so I'm not really concerned. Back to real basketball - Zalgiris is coming to town with 3 veteran American players, at least one of whom played in the NBA, one of them once the second most prolific scorer in the Euroleague. All of them over 30 yrs? Does anyone have other info?

Posted by: rgz | October 19, 2007 2:24 PM

I really wish people would stop riding Shaq's junk. He's DONE and has been for a while. He hasn't played defense since he left LA and is no longer the dominant offensive player he used to be. No way the Heat can even take us to 7 games unless the refs give Wade the travel calls they were giving him before his injury. I've not seen a good player travel that much since Hakeem and his 'Dream Shake' (where he'd switch pivot feet or lift the pivot foot to jump off the other foot). Haslem is a marginal player who gets wide open looks because teams are still afraid of Shaq. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are Tracy Murray and Brent Price minus the shooting accuracy. Shaq doesn't even require a dbl team. Brendan Haywood can play him one on one these days. Sure Shaq might be 7-12 but we can live with that. 46-36 is ridiculous. If we stay healthy, we'll win at least 50.

Posted by: mark | October 19, 2007 2:26 PM

Ray, I don't think you can accurately compare 3 vs. 3 considering there are 5 starters and usually teams go 8 or 9 deep in terms of minutes. I think the real question is who has the better 4-9 if you compare Boston vs. Washington. get rid of the big 3 and tell me which of these squads you like better.
Stephenson, Haywood, Daniels, Blatche, Pech, McGuire vs. Rondo, Big Baby, Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen, Eddie House. I'd bet my house on the Wiz. The big 3 might (might) be better for Boston but the depth and bench is a landslide for the Wiz. Plus their big 3 ages are 30, 31, and 32. Ours is 25, 27, and 31. The odds are in favor of their guys not lasting the year simply because of age.

Posted by: mark | October 19, 2007 2:36 PM

..not to mention the fact that I drink the wizards Kool-Aid every year

Posted by: mark | October 19, 2007 2:38 PM

Did the simulation have crooked refs fixing the games like in real life?

Posted by: Tom | October 19, 2007 2:39 PM

After the Gil/Kobe trade, NBA Live '08 would have the Wizards in the NBA Finals. And, Washington's Big 3 would no longer take second place to Boston's Big 3. Plus, the Wiz would still be deeper.

Tell me I'm crazy here. Gil, Nick, and Songaila/DeShawn for Kobe. Make it happen!

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 2:41 PM

Hey Michael, can we get a short write up about how this rumor of a Kobe for Gil trade will never happen. I'm a huge Arenas fan and this is driving me crazy!

By the way, Wiz=08 champs.

Posted by: Adam | October 19, 2007 2:49 PM

Why do you want Kobe to come to DC! Kobe isn't thinking about the Nation's Capital.
He would be a fool to move to DC and play after Gilbert.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2007 2:51 PM

Let me just say, I love Gilbert, too! But after this season, he's gone. I just don't think he will be around next year.

Also, I think this team has a great chance to go all the way this year. But only because the East is so weak.

I still think the trade would make us better. As the article said, we go from "fun" to "contender" instantly.

Anon, why would Kobe be a fool to come to DC? He could one-up MJ by making it work and turning the Wiz into a championship team. (Yes, I'm delusional.) There's some pride at stake.

It might never happen, but LA just might be crazy enough to take that bait. Gilbert has star power (blogger extraordinaire) and could be the next big superstar. Or not. LA might take that gamble to get right of a cancer.

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 2:58 PM

*rid of the cancer

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 3:04 PM

Where is Gil going to go, GKC? Who has enough cap room for him?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2007 3:10 PM

I don't have a good answer for you, Anon. It's just a gut feel. He's a West Coast kid. That's his style.

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 3:22 PM

As for who will win it all, it's not like the Mavericks are a ridiculous pick. I think they probably learned from last year and are ready to step up. San Antonio is right there, as well. No big news there.

I think Chicago comes out of the East, though the Wiz have as good a shot as anyone if they stay healthy and they get good production from the young front line. (If...if...if...)

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 3:27 PM

"I think there will probably be plenty of teams who might reach for a potential superstar-to-be who is the fourth highest scorer in the NBA."

Reach with what? Their mid-level exception?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2007 3:31 PM

NBA 2K8 > NBA Live 08

Posted by: Zzzzzzzzzzzz | October 19, 2007 3:37 PM

Anon, I hope you work for the Wiz 'cause you seem have to analyzed this already and are convinced that Gil won't leave. Well, if that is so, why is Gil so adamant about opting out? It's not because he won't get legitimate offers from other teams, is it?

I hope I don't sound facetious. I don't mean to. I just don't think it's that much of a stretch to think that one of the other 29 teams will make a run at Zero.

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 3:45 PM

By the way, Anon. I hope you're right. If Gil can't really leave, then you clearly don't make a trade unless it's a steal on the level of Caron-for-Kwame.

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 3:48 PM

Gilbert shouldn't feel so bad, all of the ratings in that game seem a little low. They have Caron at a 78 overall(What???!!!). 91 actually seems right on the money for Gilbert.

Posted by: CurtisLee | October 19, 2007 4:13 PM

"..not to mention the fact that I drink the wizards Kool-Aid every year."

Mark I'm a fan and have been all of my life. God knows I've rooted for some horrible teams here(as went to see those teams)which is why believe it or not I am enjoying the team we have now. :)

The reality is they Wizards did not take the steps they needed to last year, and *should* take this year. They looked like they turned the corner last winter but injuries stopped them from doing so and they never recovered. Beating Miami and going a couple rounds into the playoffs should be high on the Wizards list for this season. You just can't overlook Miami with old, fat, Shaq or not.

If we are comparing benches or even 4 through 9 on the pecking order, then I think Chicago has the Wiz beat. The talent is there, just not the experience. The other night showed that. Boston is going to be good, thier big 3 is pretty good and thre's no denying that.

Still can't forget Detriot even though it appears the Wiz have thier number. And there's so many up and coming teams in the east.

I would love to see the Wiz win it all this year, but I realistically think it's next year or the year after that they make a serious run.

Either way I'm excited for the season to start and will watch every Wiz game that I possibly can win or lose.

"We'll see," and that's what I'm sticking to. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 19, 2007 4:25 PM

If the west coast was so alluring for Gil, he would have chosen the Clippers instead of the wiz the last go round. He came here for the money. We could offer 1/2 mil more than the clippers could ... plain and simple. When he opts out at the end of the year, no one can offer the money that the wiz can offer. He wants the money. Its how they view respect in the NBA.

Also, Gil spends most of his summers here ... not in LA. He likes it here. I think he'll stay. Just show him the money.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 19, 2007 5:17 PM

91 is an A- DCMan...I don't know what school you went to...

Posted by: JE | October 19, 2007 6:08 PM

"Where is Gil going to go, GKC? Who has enough cap room for him?"

New York

Posted by: KTV | October 19, 2007 6:37 PM

Does Kobe's option to opt out in 09 not bother your GKC. Is Nick Young + Nick, and Darius Songaila or DeShawn Stevenson really worth only one more year from Kobe. Do you really believe he will love D.C. so much that he won't opt out. Lets get real. There is no reason to do this deal. And because Gilbert is going to want as much $$ as possible it will have to be a sign and trade if Gilbert wants to leave.
And where does anyone get the idea that the Knicks (!) will have cap room next summer. What contracts do they have expiring this summer?

Posted by: George Templeton | October 19, 2007 7:23 PM

Bothers me a little, but Better Kobe in 09 than Gil in 08. Kobe might like playing second fiddle in this town to the politicians. (Though this is a basketball-crazy town.) He's part of the show in LA. Like I said, change of scenery. Plus, if they are successful, why wouldn't he stay? That would prove his doubters wrong that he can't win without Shaq.

Yes, it would be worth Nick Young and DeShawn/Darius. IMHO.

Posted by: GKC | October 19, 2007 8:46 PM

Man, I would be shocked if Taylor made the team! The way he plays PG is dribble, dribble, dribble, then take a jump shot. The ball never left his hands!

Posted by: Sagaliba | October 19, 2007 9:12 PM

"91 is an A- DCMan...I don't know what school you went to...

Posted by: JE | October 19, 2007 06:08 PM "

Sorry, I didn't go to UDC, University for Dumb Children. The score 91 doesn't translate to an A-. An A- is 94.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 19, 2007 9:58 PM

It's been explained a number of times why Arenas isn't leaving DC next off season. Seriously, just scroll down the blog a ways and you'll find Ivan Carter reporting on it. And if that doesn't satisfy you, try going to Arenas blog and check out the post there (some time in June or July). People keep talking about him opting out in the offseason, but he's only doing that to get a Max level contract which Grunfeld has stated already that the Wizards intend on giving him.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 20, 2007 2:10 AM

"Grunfeld has stated already that the Wizards intend on giving him.

Posted by: | October 20, 2007 02:10 AM "

Go ask Larry Hughes what he thinks about EG and his promises.

Gilby's value will be determined by what he does this season. If it's another season of one dimensional inconsistency coupled with strange outbursts and a one and done preseason or injury, EG would be a fool to give him max money.

The core of this team seems very strong and rising. Why spend a chunk of the money on a one dimensional me-first player? Not smart.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 20, 2007 9:36 AM

The Wizards won't make it past the first round. Someone please tell me why I should believe otherwise. They did NOTHING in the off season to bolster their roster. NOTHING. Resigning Stevenson and Blatche, whatever!

Posted by: pdxskinsfan | October 22, 2007 2:54 AM

I actually think the Wiz will do much better this year. No. They did not do anything to improve themselves in off season greatly BUT!! MacGuire IS improvement!! Blatche is "maturing!!" thats improvement!! Brendan is going to "do his thing" since Etan is out..no doubt, I like Song, Pech & Daniels. But!!!I would NOT have kept Mason -instead kept JCN as backup pt guard Stevenson is just so-so but that was a Gil request..so he's here. Can't do nothin about it.

It ain't the dream team but it can be productive. The other teams are lookin kinda raggedy as it is at least to me.

For the Finals..San Antonio..unless Dallas has figured something out or Mark Cuban can share some of his dancce steps from
"Dancing with the Stars" with his players.

Posted by: Bill | October 22, 2007 5:47 PM