The Decline In Great NBA Nicknames

I've been meaning to write about this for a few days, but I've been caught up with too much New York Knicks stuff lately. This is a silly thought, but one I still want want to share. When I was in Boston last weekend, Celtics Coach Doc Rivers said he wanted someone to come up with a better title for Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce because the only "Big Three" he can think of was Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.

One writer later suggested the "Terrific Trio," which Rivers seemed okay with, but is really quite lame. Garnett decided to come up with another moniker, but it stinks, too. "The Three-headed Monster," he said.

My friend and colleague Marc Spears with the Boston Globe came up with a name that I think is a winner - The GAP Band. Spears thought of it right after media day concluded and when he mentioned it to me and ESPN's Chris Broussard, I was mad that I didn't think of it.

The GAP is short for Garnett, Allen and Pierce. And if it catches on, it should help the old funk/soul band get some love - especially if the TD Banknorth Garden starts playing "Oops Upside Your Head" after a Garnett dunk, "You Dropped A Bomb on Me" after an Allen 3-pointer or "Outstanding" after a Pierce fadeaway jumper.

But Rivers' complaint about using "The Big Three" got me thinking about the decline of sports nicknames - especially for NBA players and teams.

Back in the 80s and 90s, we had stars named Dr. J (Julius Erving), Magic (Earvin Johnson), Air (Michael Jordan), Clyde the Glyde (Drexler), The Human Highlight Film (Dominique Wilkins), Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon), The Admiral (David Robinson), Penny (Anfernee Hardaway) and Muggsy (Tyrone Bogues). Now we have no creativity whatsoever when it comes to naming our stars.

Kobe Bryant is Kobe. Tracy McGrady is T-Mac. Dwyane Wade is D-Wade. Carmelo Anthony is Melo. How lazy is that?

Allen Iverson has gone from a great nickname, The Answer, to just his initials, A.I. Kevin Garnett was once known as the Kid, but now that he is a full-grown 31-year-old man, he's simply known as KG.

LeBron James is supposedly nicknamed King, but nobody goes up to him and asks, "Hey, King, on that last shot. . ." He's LeBron. (Plus, the best nickname on his team belongs to Daniel "Boobie" Gibson).

Vince Carter was once known as Half Man/Half Amazing before he became Half Man/Half A Season; and Air Canada before he pouted out of Toronto. Now he's just VC.

Shaquille O'Neal has come up with his share of names - Diesel, Big Aristotle, Chamberneezy - over the years, but none are better than Shaq.

The best nicknames in the game today belong to Agent Zero (Gilbert Arenas), The Matrix (Shawn Marion). Boom Dizzle (Baron Davis) is picking up steam, but there isn't much else out there.

Remember when the Lakers were known as "Showtime?" The Pistons were known as "The Bad Boys." I mean, the San Antonio Spurs are the closest thing to a dynasty in the current NBA, but what do we call them?

The Spurs.

You could blame it on the Spurs (and Tim "Big Fundamental?" Duncan) being boring, but the Phoenix Suns are the most exciting team in the league and they don't have a nickname, either.

The Pistons have consistently been one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference the past five years, but all we've done is recycle the old name and called them, "Bad Boys II," even though this team plays nothing like that squad, and certainly doesn't have players with such nicknames as Zeke, The Microwave, Spiderman and Worm.

I'm just hoping that "The GAP Band" sticks - unless somebody comes up with something better - because it's sort of reminiscent of the Golden State Warriors in the late 80s, early 90s with "Run TMC," which featured Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin.

There have been several high scoring trios in recent years, but Milwaukee (Allen, Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell), Minnesota (Cassell, Garnett and Latrell Sprewell), Phoenix (Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash), New Jersey (Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson) and Washington (Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler) have all simply been called the Big Three.

When I covered the Wizards' scoring trio of Arenas, Jamison and Larry Hughes, I wanted to refer to them as "60 Cent" - as in, you can guarantee they'll score 60 points a night. I even suggested to the Wizards PR staff that they should make 60 Cent coins with their pictures on it and distribute them to the fans. A few guys on the team liked the name, but I knew that it would never see the light of day in the Washington Post, so I didn't bother.

The Wizards have the most eccentric player in the league in Arenas, who has been called a number of names (Captain Quick, The Wizard of Odd). Butler has a great nickname, "Tuff Juice." Jamison doesn't have or need a nickname, but the league's highest scoring trio from last season has to be known by something other than "The Big Three," right?

Any suggestions?

By Michael Lee  |  October 4, 2007; 2:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Day 3 in Richmond
Next: Friday update

Comments

"Agent Zero" does not apply anymore. He's moved on from his hard luck story after his coming out party and his soon to be "max contract."

How about Agent Weirdo?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm... nothing comes to mind (yet) for the three, but some of the Wiz nicknames are at least interesting (Agent Zero, Tuff Juice, etc.)

Maybe a call to Darryl Dawkins is in order?

Posted by: iceberg | October 4, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Gilby the goober.

Gilby & Deshawn: The Dynamic Divas

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

How about calling the team "The Wizars" ? We wiz on opponents but have no D.

Posted by: mark | October 4, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Celtics = "Three overpaid guys with no bench support"

Handing out coins to fans could turn ugly - although DC fans are not as stupid as Philly fans.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Can someone at the Post get rid of that stupid Mercury advertisement on this blog?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The GAP Band ... hmmm ... doesn't really strike fear in my heart.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 4, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

vince carter still has 'Vinsanity' IIRC

Posted by: hmmmmm | October 4, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This story is my polite way of saying that no great nickname has ever been created by a bunch of sportswriters hanging around on media day. You can't try to come up with a nickname. It just has to happen.

(Plus, given how bad the Celtics were last year and how Ainge is gambling on old stars, it's more of a stopGAP.)

Posted by: Sean | October 4, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The Gil, AJ, Butler Trio Nickname suggestions:

* 3-The-Easy-Way

* The Swagger Jackers

* Triple Swag

* Full Service (they always fill the bucket up)

* Killer J.A.B.

* Posse Nouveau

Posted by: k-dub | October 4, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"A few years ago some guy on ESPN kept referring to David Robinson as "DRob." Robinson has one of the great nicknames (The Admiral, of course), and this clown thinks he's clever calling him DRob."

Why is "the admiral" such a great or even creative nickname when he graduated from the Naval Academy as an ensign and probably retired as a Lt?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, if the Boston trio picks up the nickname "GAP" ... the Wizards can have the "Bust a Gap."

That was pun-tastic.

Posted by: James | October 4, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

JAB.

Posted by: Bill Carr | October 4, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The Admiral, in my opinion, is the 2nd best bball nickname of all time. First is MJ - two simple letters and everyone in the world knows who you're talking about... and the third is Shawn "The Reignman" Kemp

Posted by: David | October 4, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fire starter | October 4, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert "DC Man88's Daddy" Arenas

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

BIG THREE= Earth (Jamison), Wind (Arenas), and Fire (Caron). THINK ABOUT IT. Jamison is grounded and knows hes on a contender, Arenas is quick as hell, and Caron heats up everything with his various attributes for scoring

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | October 4, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"captain quirk"? "agent of odd"???

no one calls Gilbert that, and whoever did should be shot.

"Agent Zero" is just fine. And Jamison's nickname is "Jams" by the way.

Posted by: al | October 4, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

How is Willie Deane doing ?

Boilermaker fan in DC

Posted by: Ryan Moss | October 4, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're handing out nicknames; DC Woman88 is my favorite

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

You're on the right track here. Nicknames should be like names for thoroughbreds. No duplicates!

Posted by: prophet | October 4, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I say we call Gil, Tawn and Caron not the Big 3, but "DC3"...I think DC3 sounds good and rolls off of the tongue.

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | October 4, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Marv Brooks, the former Bullets/Cap Centre announcer, still alive? He would create some good nicknames.

"Kevin Geeeevey from K.P!!!!!!!!!" (very old memories).

Posted by: Shotgun | October 4, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I like triple swag - but t-swag is better.

Earth Wind and Fire is sweet also.

But as we all know it has to be wizars until they show us the d otherwise.

Lot of good pieces on this team;-)

Posted by: dcperspective | October 4, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Earth, Wind and Fire. But I think it's a little far-fetched.

Posted by: Bart | October 4, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Continuing with the theme of band names, a certain Wizard has a natural nickname awaiting him when/if he ever breaks into the big time: Cheap Trick.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Hate to laugh, but you have to admit Cheap Trick is pretty funny!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Cheap Trick has me laughing. But why wait until he makes it big? No time like the present. Maybe this blog can get that rolling.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

For Our Trio:

1. The Administration (With Gilbert as the self-proclaimed "Black President")

2. Agent Zero and The Revolution (Again, the political reference, and plus, they revolutionized DC basketball)

3. The Noise (Can you hear us, NBA? Don't sleep on us)

4. The Three Poisons (Pick your poison, we'll beat you with any of them)

5. The Assasins (Agent Zero, CB3, and No. 4)

6. The Trilogy

7. 60-Plus (Basically, the same as Michael's, I know).

8. The Biggest Three (Just, to stick it to the other Big Threes who don't score as much)

9. The Capital Killers

Ok, so those are just off of the top of my head so some of them might suck. But hey, at least I didn't give in to the temptation to seriously suggest "Gilbert's Grapes" which would have been HILARIOUS.

Posted by: Washington Ball | October 4, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

"Michael, if you think about it, we got some good nicknames for the Wiz: The Poet, 50 Cents, and my favorite "Brenda"."

Posted by: fire starter | October 4, 2007 04:46 PM

I actually think "Brenda" is not a good nickname. Not because I'm a huge Haywood fan, but I think it comes off as pretty childish and misogynistic.

To be clear, I'm not saying you or anyone else on here is actually a misogynist, but I think the nickname itself shouldn't catch on because it comes off that way. I think we can think of something better.

Posted by: Ian | October 4, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"Three Dawg Night"

you know it!!!!

Posted by: Krak | October 4, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I LIKE BRENDA SOFTWOOD

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

How about LaBrenda Haywood? Yea, that sounds better.

Posted by: k-dub | October 4, 2007 11:05 PM | Report abuse

How about warming up the "hypocrichi?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Yea..maybe DC should focus on changing the TEAM name and jerseys rather than nicknames . I've hated the "Wizards" name ever since it replaced the Bullets. I remember years ago when the voting took place... I think I voted for the DC Express.

But hey, at least we're not the sea dogs!

Posted by: David | October 4, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Blatche said. "Now, I'm starting to work out more, running, getting in the weight room. It's my third year in the league, so I either have to grow up or be the same player I've been...

Actually you could also be worse than you 've already been!!!!!

Posted by: Trump | October 4, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a bit long and may not fit on a tee shirt, but how about: "The Only Three Guys On the Team Who Know When And How Much They're Going to Play."

Posted by: Mitch | October 4, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I actually posted about this same topic on the washingtonwizards.com blog a year ago or so, and then I suggested "Earth, Wind, and Fire", which someone else brought up here. But you got the players with the wrong elements... It's Caron who is Earth, cause he is tough and rock solid. Antawn is the Wind, with his soft floaters and gracefulness. Gil of course is Fire, the hibachi blazin hot! It's really pretty good, they could market that. It's the 3 elements that are conjured by great powerful Wizards in their scorcery! And it goes with "the old funk/soul band" theme!

Dave, I'm with you bro, I never liked the Wizards name too much and still wish they kept the Bullets, and I REALLY dislike the colors even more! I wish they would go back to Red White and Blue like the Caps did. Maybe the Caps will sell alot of jerseys and the Wizards will be like "ah-ha! Maybe we should do that?!" I also remember the voting contest, and I submitted the name The Washington Glory.

Posted by: Darnell | October 5, 2007 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert "DC Man88's Daddy" Arenas

I like that one. Owned.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Great post, Darnell.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

As long as we're handing out nicknames; DC Woman88 is my favorite

.............

Good one. Or how about DC Racist 88?

Or DC T-Munch88?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

DC Troll88

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I heard that DC Boy88's mother makes him show all the posts in response to his posts here every day. If he is disrespected, she is quite harsh.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Sky Walker
Wizard
E
Hot Plate

Posted by: dc | October 5, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Good work guys/gals. Thanks for the love and attention!

How about Gilby's religion be renamed "hypocritology?" And all you guys can follow as hypocritologists!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

88 er's Obsession! and 14 other guys...

Posted by: GM | October 5, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

It's difficult and maybe too artificial-sounding to really have a good name for a trio. It's hard to sum up three different guys in a one name. GAP Band 'works' but for most us is too reminiscent of Gap commercials, I think. I'd stick with individual nicknames. (Smush is an interesting one..)

Posted by: Andrew | October 5, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I really dig the " Earth, Wind, & Fire" I totally agree with Darnell's post.

Can't you just see a giant poster right outside the Verizon center with Gilbert, Antawn, and Caron on it standing right next each other with the name Earth, Wind, & Fire right below them?

I wonder if they have to get permission to use that name if it did stick?

My top 3 nickname of all time is:

Chocolate Thunder
The Reign Man
Ice Man

Posted by: Kit | October 5, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Alternative names for the BIG THREE!

The Metro Boys
DC Three
The Main Attraction
FIOS (the play in the verizon center)
I also like earth, wind, and fire too!
The Black Caucus

Posted by: Tony | October 5, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Earth, Wind, and Fire sounds grrreat!

Would Gilby then be Wind, since he's full of hot air?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Darnell,

sorry I bogarted your post from last year. You're right though, I like your comparison better. even though I know jamison would love to be back here if Gil resigns with us. I love Jamison, everyone wants to trade him but he is amazing most of the time. That pistons game last year when he hit a 3 from the corner to seal the deal in December, thats was awesome.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | October 5, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

1. The Tribe Called Best!
2. Three The Hard Way
3. The Bermuda Triangle

Posted by: Raphael Sadik | October 5, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

GM = Gilby's Momma

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Why don't we let those 3 celtics actually play a game together before crowning them the best team in the East and giving them some stupid nickname. I find it ridiculous how all of the national media is picking Boston to be so great and picking the Wizards to finish 7th, 8th or 9th in the conference behind teams such as Orlando(adding Rashard Lewis but subtracting Grant Hill and Darko makes them better how???), New York(HA), Nets(maybe but I think Wiz are better), the Bucks(HA) and Toronto(they will be hard pressed to duplicate what they did last year)

Everyone is so quick to forget how good we were until the injuries happened. Other than Jamison, none of our main players have ever had consistent injury problems so I'm not sure where the doubt comes from.

Oh well, I guess it is better to fly under the radar and then come out killin teams

Posted by: Brian | October 5, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

You got to go with either the three dragons because they play in ChinaTown, or FUNKADELIC
Fun= Gilbert
Ka (Ca)= Caron
Delic because Antawn always (deli)vers

Posted by: ErleD | October 5, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

DC3 works for me as it can translate when one leaves and another guy steps into the group, or if its only for a game.

"Regime Change"
"3-D" Same basis as the E-W-F
"Triple Threat District"
"CAJ Life" pronounced cage.

If Blatche merits inclusion: "ABBA" (Arenas, Blatche, Butler and Antwan)
it so stupid, i love it.

Posted by: Monte | October 5, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

In honor of Chinatown, where the Verizon Center is located, and is fast diminishing, how about Pork Fried Rice?

Pork => Caron (b/c his game is Phat)
Fried => Gilby (b/c his stroke can get hot)
Rice => AJ (b/c if you get him steamed, he'll take you out to the woodshed...ask Gilby if you don't believe)

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

For the Wizards, how about:

The Department of Offense

Posted by: Eric | October 5, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas = Raphael Nadal wannabe

Why is he wearing those clam digger/capri sweat pants? He looks like a girl.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

How can you forget about the greatest nickname going right now, AK-47?

Posted by: JD | October 5, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

AK-47? Maybe in the NBA.

Sports in general, the funniest has to be "the dingaling man." He's a boxer.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

TTS

The Three Scrubs???

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

What about AK47. That is a pretty sick nickname.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember Stacy "Elastic Man" Augman?

Posted by: KJD | October 5, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

what do you mean in the article the Wade is known as D-Wade?? he is FLASH. and Kobe is BLACK MAMBA. look it up

Posted by: Pete | October 5, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Um...did everyone forget about "Hibachi"?

Posted by: Mitchell | October 5, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been talking about this topic to my sports buddies for months about the decline of great b-ball nicknames. My faves: Human-Hightlight Film, The Reign Man, The Admiral, The Answer and Sir Charles. I'm also pretty sure Spud wasn't his given name. I like Spud Webb.

The Ultimate Nickname though? Tree Rollins.

Not a Pistons fan but the original Bad Boys had a lot of great nicknames on it.

Kobe is not "Black Mamba" and Dwayne Wade is not "Flash." Nicknames are something people are known as. They are not known as those names though I love "Flash" and I wish it would have taken hold.

GAP Band would be cool if they did incorporate the music.

Posted by: Russ | October 5, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards of Gauze

... owing to their propensity for injury

... I got nothing.

Posted by: Sammy | October 5, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

DC3 or Tribe Called Best...either one works..and the best nickname of all time... The Iceman

Posted by: Russ | October 5, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, when I hear "MJ" I think of Mary Jane from Spiderman... or Magic Johnson... or Michael Jackson...
Anyway, the best one is The Reignman.
End of discussion.

Posted by: Chuck | October 5, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

KG was 'da Kid' at first but some years ago he morphed into 'the Big Ticket'. That's a fine nickname.

As for them 'Zards:

Agent Zero
Tuff Juice -- which is hella better than 'C-Butt'
'Tawn -- sorry, no nickname. The gentleman's got too much class. Hmmn... 'Gentleman Jamison'... The Gentleman.

32cent is alright; I'm partial to: Bulletproof, or 'Proof

(for 'Dray, who seemed to think he was the former after surviving a lungshot but still running round in the wrong place wrong time crowd; but now needs to show us the latter, since he's saying the right things, but has yet to produce in-season, on-court).

Dominator --McGuire, defensive beast in training.

Pesh, or Opec

DS-9

--distinct from--

DS2 -- aka No-face, Mr Fifty/Mr 19%-in-the-playoffs , or 'Mr. I can smell my breath'

AntDan --Daniels, who despite looking tiny out there seems to have the proportionate strength and durability of an amazonian army ant.

Big Wood --in those few games a year when he's more pissed at the other team than his own coach --laying a hard foul on LeBron, for instance. Lay the 'Wood on him.

Or when he's sulking: Jablomey. -- As in 'Haywood Jablomey'. Say it out loud...

Big Poet-- get better, dude.

Young'n -- for the dopey grinning rookie. Though his nickname out West was 'Noodles' because of how skinny he is, and his goofy long-arm dribbling style.
---

As for the Team as a whole, or in part:

The Swag. Maybe.

But I'd rather call 'em by the name I wanted for the Bullets after the name change was inevitable:

The Washington Justice.
Running all courts from the Dominion of DC.

Bring down the hammer,
lock you up in the slammer,
no pictures, no camer-(uh)...

('don't watch me: watch TV')
I bring devastation from the town of DC.
The District, Superior.
The East is inferior?
Well we got somethin coming
unleashed like a beast this
team come out running,
outgunning ,the outcome sorta stunning
if you underestimate the team from DC.
Seems like
ten decades of frustration
held in check, subjugation,
decides it's time for vindication
and demands from the nation
full representation
the case made evident
not rage or in violence
it just damn sure cain't be silent
and it won't lie Deceased
This power in the East, born in DC
sez:
'better surrender to Justice
else you won't get no Peace'.

So: The Justice.
The Justice League.
The Big Three: the Triad. The Trbunal. The Trial by Fire...

Instead we get the Wizards, and the 'Jammin Klansman' logo. Damn. A missed opportunity.

The Sorcerous Three? ...doesn't quite work.

Posted by: doclinkin | October 5, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I like Earth, Wind & Fire. But my initial suggestion- giving props to old skool hip hop- was going to be Three Times Dope.

Posted by: Tee76 | October 5, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I like DC3 but how about the

-Tri-state Trio

or the

-BELTWAY BALLERZ

Posted by: Chase | October 5, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Earth, Wind, and Fire sounds grrreat!

Would Gilby then be Wind, since he's full of hot air?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 10:26 AM

DC Racist88, we all know what you're full of.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

If Gil wants max contract, his new name should be Agent 6 Zeros.

Posted by: Tu | October 5, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

"Earth, Wind, and Fire sounds grrreat!

Would Gilby then be Wind, since he's full of hot air?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 5, 2007 10:26 AM

DC Racist88, we all know what you're full of.

Posted by: | October 5, 2007 11:04 PM "

You know what your momma's mouth is full of, nevermind crack smoke. She's got a really bad gag reflex to boot!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 6, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

How about; J B A S H for the starters and DOD for the subs?? Just a thought.

Posted by: Reese88 | October 6, 2007 1:13 AM | Report abuse

1 thing wrong with this article

1)GAP is one letter away from GAY

Posted by: LALmamba | October 6, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

props, doclinkin....hearin' it while I was seeing it. good campaign.

Posted by: HH | October 6, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I like the Beltway Ballerz. How about this one:

Trinity Infinity

Posted by: Dubman6 | October 6, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

who were the chicago bulls called in their highdays of the 90s?

Posted by: sander | October 7, 2007 2:43 AM | Report abuse

how about 'one and done' in honor of the post season?

Posted by: jon | October 7, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Spurs- Showdown

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

AK-47 is a great nickname. I like Agent Zero for Arenas and The Big Ticket for KG, but in general, nicknames have been terrible lately...

Posted by: Jason | October 7, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

yeah nicknames have gotten so lazy, and i blame espn. A certain anchor popularized the first initial last name (T-Mac) deal.

The worst current nickname is sports is LT- ladainian tomlinson. A cheap ripoff....so lazy.

Posted by: croatian sensation | October 7, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

D-Wade = Flash yo!

Posted by: Flash-man | October 8, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

durant and oden need nicknames too! i cant take anymore KD and G-ODE!!

Posted by: Ezra | October 8, 2007 3:00 AM | Report abuse

I really like Washington Ball's idea of:
Agent Zero and The Revolution
as a team nickname.
then we can also have Earth, Wind and Fire as a nickname for the big three.

Posted by: Peter | October 8, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

LOVE IT:

AGENT ZERO AND THE REVOLUTION!!!

It's got Prince, DC politics and Regime Change all in one! Brilliant!!!

I also want to know, what is "FAT LEVER"??? I'm stumped...

Chocolate Thunder is awesome, too!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

we got 3 great guns...how bout we call them triple glock

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big fan of The DC3, personally. Short, easy to say, and sounds good, without being the same old repetitive 'big 3'. I hope the media (and Arenas) starts pushing it. :P

I agree that more players need nicknames... but it seems like, more often than not, they are trying to just rebrand themselves, (ie. kobe, black mamba, etc.), and it just does not catch on.

The one new nickname I heard this summer was Craig Smith as 'Rhino.' Just oddball enough to actually work...

Still there are a number of existing players who do have nicnames. Off the top of my head, here are nicknames that ahve at one point been used (or are still in use) by current players:

The Answer (Iverson)
The Big Ticket (Garnett)
The Truth (Pierce)
Starbury (Marbury)
Nasty (Nash, back when he was in Dallas, as in Dirty, Nasty and Filthy)
Jet (Jason Terry, who ripped off Kenny Smith)
AK47 (Kirilenko)
Diesel/Aristotle/MDE (Shaq)
Vinsanity (Carter)
CP3 (Chris Paul... though it's just initials + #)
Tractor (Robert Traylor)
The Glove (Gary Payton)
Agent Zero / Hibachi (Arenas)
Big Fundamental (Duncan)
Matrix (Marion)
Sam-I-Am (Cassell)

Any other -current- nicknames that people can think of, which don't just fit the 'initials' or 'first initial plus last name' trend??

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 3:40 AM | Report abuse

The House of Griffindor or Hogwarts like that cupcake wizard Harry Potter.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

My own:

ABJ All Day - cause they drop buckets all day

Favorites:

1. Agent Zero and the Revolution
2. Department of Offense
3. Earth, Wind & Fire

Posted by: sauerness | October 9, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Doclinkin had the best one THE TRIAD.They rule chinatown don't they? Although the only thing chinese in chinatown are the chinese symbols on the american stores.

Posted by: dcpirate1 | October 9, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Rifleman (Chuck Person)
Cadillac (Greg Anderson)
Ninja (Sean Elliott)
Little General (Avery Johnson)
Brick (Frank Brickowski)
Worm (Dennis Rodman)
The Admiral, Five-Oh (David Robinson)
Mad Max (Vernon Maxwell)
Rome (Jerome Kersey)
Coco (Cory Alexander)

And on another note, Jason Terry didn't steal Kenny Smith's nickname. Jason's middle name is Eugene, hence J.E.T.

Posted by: Some Good Spurs | October 11, 2007 5:26 AM | Report abuse

3ballin
lights out
stick and move
the trident
3 deadly sins

Posted by: dan | October 12, 2007 7:53 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards? How about the Firm, Hocus Pocus, Supernatural, or Level 13 (playing off the federal pay grade)?

Baron Davis is called B-Diddy. I guess Avery Johnson could still be called the General. Sir Charles called Pau Gasol Grizzly Adams, which was probably more of an insult but it was good nevertheless. I cannot believe people have forgotten the X-Man, Xavier McDaniel.

I think Amare Stoudamire should be called Red Alert.

Posted by: Jason | October 27, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

how about the element because it combines earth, wind and fire

Posted by: Anonymous | November 8, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of nicknames and enjoyed your article. I think a good nickname for number 11, David Davis of the Celtics should be "Baby Huey!" Not Big Baby!

Posted by: Kenneth Moriarty | December 3, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse