Thomas Out With Heart Irregularity

The team just released a statement regarding the status of center Etan Thomas, who is not with the team today as training camp opens in Richmond.

It reads: Washington Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld announced today that during a routine team physical, Wizards center Etan Thomas had a cardiac test that revealed an irregularity. Thomas has not been cleared to play, and will have further tests before his status is determined.

I'll update when/if I can acquire more detailed information.

Right now, I'm watching the end of the day's first practice. Apart from Etan, the other players are here and healthy, including Gilbert Arenas who isn't wearing a brace of any kind on his surgically repaired left knee.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 2, 2007; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live from Richmond
Next: How The Wizards Affected The Knicks

Comments

Not an auspicious beginning. Hope Poet's okay.

Posted by: Mitch | October 2, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That's a surprise. Hope Etan is okay. (At the same time, it's just the kind of bad timing drama we've come to expect from the Wiz.)

Posted by: kalorama | October 2, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I read this past weekend that Gilby was touring DC by bike in hopes of strengthening his knee, and stopped by HU to do some sprints with his parachute and was asked to leave. A bit shocking, especially since HU is just up the street from Verizon. I guess Gilby doesn't get love wherever he goes.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Have these guys ever opened a camp without someone not being 100%. I think not.

Well, maybe we get to see how Brendan plays without any competition ... oh my gosh ... get well soon Etan!!!

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 2, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

howd the rooks look?

Posted by: CreditZard | October 2, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

how is MASON JR looking ?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | October 2, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, that's terrible. Get well Etan.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 2, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Dave Johnson will really give you a critical view of what's happening in Richmond. That dude makes the Wizards cheerleaders look like Sean Hannity covering Hillary's campaign.

Posted by: Joe | October 2, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

While I would never wish bad health on a player, and I hope his heart is okay, I must say that the Wizards are unquestionably better off without Etan Thomas on the roster. His left-wing propaganda rants aside, he is a liability on this team. He's a hothead who can't shoot, is undersized in the paint, and, after 6 1/2 seasons with the team, it's time for him to go.

Best of wishes in dealing with the irregular heartbeat though.

Posted by: Barno | October 2, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Its not the best news but it isn't a death sentence either (I know). Thank goodness they caught it.

Posted by: DS | October 2, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Barno, how on earth would the Wizards be better off without Thomas? With him gone, the Wizards will have one center on the roster, Haywood. That will mean a power forward will have to play center, and we saw how well that worked out last season. And the Wizards will probably have to sign someone like Massenburg so they have two centers. (I'm not sure Massenburg is a center, but let's assume he is.) Who do you think is a better player, Etan or Massenburg? Dumb post.

Posted by: Sean | October 2, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Of course, we all hope Etan is OK.

Sure glad Ernie didn't unload Brendan in haste, now, though, huh? A Blatche/Songalia rotation at center doesn't scream Eastern Conference Finals to me.

Posted by: Flip | October 2, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Let's just say Etan can't play because of his medical condition, do we get salary relief in the event his roster spot is cleared? And his salary is guaranteed regardless....a la Grant Hill in Orlando.

Posted by: G$ | October 2, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully all is well with Etan.

Posted by: Shabba | October 2, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

And here I was thinking that Brenda was the one with the heart issues.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 2, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

HA! Bryc3, that was great. And so on point.

And Barno, I don't understand how you think this team is better off without Etan. You know, if Etan were gone, that would only leave Haywood. And that's a terribly frightening prospect. I mean really scary. The guy is a louse. He loafs and moans and generally plays about a foot shorter than he is.

Posted by: Colin | October 2, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz may not be any better without Etan but oddly enough they wouldn't be any better with him either. Isn't Pecherov a 7 footer and maybe Blatche is ready to take on a bigger role. I wouldn't say Etan is better than either of those guys.

Posted by: Mizzo | October 2, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I pray that God Heals you Etan. T

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

To Barno, should anyone reading this Insider feature be commenting on a player's politics? Is it relevent in any way to anything besides your prejudices? Aside from any weaknesses on the court that Etan has, he is an articulate, intelligent young man who has a lot more depth to him than what he does for a living and we all hope he is healthy.

Posted by: arnie | October 2, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

great article about Gilbert Arenas
Check it out!!!

Posted by: dre' | October 2, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Arnie for your post defending Etan. Some times some of these posts get a little "too" personal and it is not that serious. I think he played very well for the Wiz last season when he wasn't hurt and I would never describe him as a hot head. And I truly hope that this is just a little glitch and he gets cleared to play. Get Well soon Etan.

Posted by: Lady Wizz | October 2, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Barno. The team was playing at it's best last year when Etan and Ruffin were both injured.

I know Brendon is not the Center we all want him to be, but the stats will show that the team is better when he's on the floor.

With that said I hope Etan is healthy, but him not playing with the Wizards is not bad new to me.

Posted by: Dre | October 2, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

While wishing Etan well, this is an opportunity for extra minutes....hopefully for Andray & Pech, this also give Brenda an opportunity to put up or shut-up.

Posted by: Wizzy | October 2, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I pray for Etan to be well. He is a wonderful player.

Posted by: IAA, Alexandria | October 2, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I am still for dumping the bum Brendan Weakwood.

Posted by: JD | October 2, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Believe Etan had a contract guarantee & if he can't play due to health reasons the teams insurance picks up the tab; disability insurance. If team gets relief then EG is off to find a center and with roughly 5-8M to play with things could get interesting.

More importantly, you pray for those with health problems and ask for a quick recovery regardless of their career or political leanings.

Get well Etan.

Posted by: Gareth | October 2, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Hope he's ok. But if he isn't...

Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player has retired. For example, James Worthy retired in 1994, two years before his contract ended. He continued to receive his salary for the 1994-95 and 1995-96 seasons, so his salary was included in the Lakers' team salary in those seasons. It is at the team's discretion (or as the result of an agreement between the team and player) whether to continue to pay the player after he has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

G$

To answer your question...

If Etan Thomas is "disabled" and unable to play for the entire year, the Wizards can
use the "Disabled Play Exception. This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season. The exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less.

The 2007-2008 Average Salary is $5.356 million. Etan's 2007-2008 salary is $6.374 million. So, the Wizard's exception would be approximately $2.678 million.

I doubt there are any decent centers out there that would play for half the league minimum.

Let's hope that Etan Thomas' condition is not serious and he is cleared to play this year.

Posted by: Rook | October 2, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope Etan will be ok....

Have any of you heard the speculation/reasoning regarding Tom Thibodeaux's early departure? I heard Mike Wise discussing this on the radio today and think it is in the Post as well.

Thibodeaux was really excited to join the Wiz. The reason he backed out, a friend of Thibodeaux's said, was because the coach was worried he had been brought to Washington to eventually take Jordan's job. He didn't want to be viewed as undermining another coach and his staff, and he felt that that's how it might look if Grunfeld took action during the season to remove Jordan.

A Wizards official, on condition of anonymity, said there was never any such discussion about Thibodeaux's potential role with the team.

Posted by: Lisa | October 2, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm only 6'2" but I'll play for $2.678,000.00. Ka-ching! Anyway, until we know for sure, Etan may be back and playing hard by next week.

He's not a franchise player, but he can dish and absorb some pounding, which is good for us (zards fans and players).

We got what we've paid for, 2 guys who combined give us 12 and 12 for 12mil. I'll bet it takes $12mil for Charlotte to keep Okafor, and we still get an extra 6 fouls. (Hey, I'm looking at the bright side!)

If Dominic can tap us 6 boards in under 20min ala Utah's Paul Milsap who's also 6'8" that's more shots for us. Alright, Mil's got him by 30lbs but I think Dom's got more offensive potential. Every extra 10 minutes for him and Pec can, hopefully, only make us better.

Posted by: Derek | October 2, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully discussion of the ramifications of Etan missing the year or being forced to retire are premature.

Good luck to Etan in the coming days, right now assuring that his health is ok is the most important thing.

I didn't know that Pete Caril was in Camp with the Wizards, heard he was all over Brendan during a drill working on the drop step. Interesting that the Wiz have brought him in to work with our young bigs.

I noticed the one shot of the team all huddled together, Pecherov looked as tall as Haywood, that kid's apparently still growing.

To those wondering why the Wizards signed Massenburg, I guess today we got an answer why Ernie wanted another big in camp. Saw an interview with Tony, with the shaved head and goatee he looked a little like Issic Hayes. If only he could play like Elvin....

Posted by: GM | October 2, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I've been monitoring the Wizards blog. Dave Johnson, the radio voice of the Wizards is giving updates on practice.

I think it's telling that in the first practice of the season, Randy Ayers was running defensive drills for 1 hour 45 minutes of the 2 hour morning practice.

I think that says two things.....
1. Eddie Jordan is really stressing defense this year.

2. It looks like Eddie Jordan is providing Ayers a real shot at helping this team. Some on this blog wondered whether Ayers would be able to do anything, since Eddie didn't hire him.

Let's hope this emphasis on improving the defense sinks in to the players.

Posted by: Rook | October 2, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

IT'S CATCHING ON!!!!!!!!!!!

THE NAME GILBY!!!!!!

Laurel, Md.: Can Gilbert become half as devoted to playing defense as playing offense? To me the Wizards' success depends on the answer to that question.

Ivan Carter: I agree with you 100 percent on the question. However, I have no idea whether Gilby is going to buy into the concept of playing real defense. My guess is that neither does he ar any of those coaches.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Barno, do you paid per stupid post? Everywhere I go on this site you seem to have marked your territory with idiocy.

Posted by: mac | October 2, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"Well, maybe we get to see how Brendan plays without any competition..."

I sure hope Etan gets healthy. The crazy thing is(as I have been told) you can't really do much until something serious happens. It's kinda scary. :(

Saying that I see this as an opportunity for others on the roster and hopefully someone will make the most of it(get a clue Haywood!).

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 2, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"1. Eddie Jordan is really stressing defense this year."

Yeah, he doesn't want fired. :P

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 2, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"The team extended training camp invitations to three players, including former University of Maryland forward-center Tony Massenburg..."

Holy moly!

Massenburg is still around Ivan?

Good grief....

Wow.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 2, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

From Wise's column:

"The reason he backed out, a friend of Thibodeaux's said, was because the coach was worried he had been brought to Washington to eventually take Jordan's job."

That's funny, because we all talked about just this on here. Guess it was true after all.

Sorry I had to catch up everyone. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 2, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ray! 4 straight Posts! Isn't there something in the Ray Rule about that!

Just kidding, welcome back!

Posted by: GM | October 2, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Ray! 4 straight Posts! Isn't there something in the Ray Rule about that!

Just kidding, welcome back!"

Lol, yeah there is actually. :)

Thanks GM. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 2, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I LIKE Etan's left-wing rants, almost as much as I like his left-handed jump hook. Here's hoping that he turns out to be healthy and can get back on the court asap.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 2, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Have you all lost your minds? Based on some of this commentary, many of you have certainly clearly lost your souls. This is a very scary and potentially grave time for Etan and his family. Yes they are real people, not video game characters.

Do we know any details? Was it "just" an an abnormal cardiogram? I believe this simply generally indicates abnormal blood flow was detected in the area of his heart. Did they inject thallium? Were any blockages found?

Posted by: oddjob | October 2, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Hope Etan is ok. We really need him off the bench, especially without Ruffin, he is pretty much the only guy we have who can board, and come in with. aggressiveness and energy. And it's always fun to watch when he starts gettin into it with someone.

Ivan, how are the rooks looking? Interested in how they do against the vets... Young vs Stevenson, McGuire vs Caron, Pesh vs Antawn or Songaila. And what about Blatche, where do they have him playing and how does he look?

Welcome back Ray!

Posted by: Darnell | October 2, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I am so right again. During the end of last season, I typed that there was a rift between EJ and Gilby. Lisa of course, as expected, disputed this and said all was well. Who would have thought that not only was I right, but there was a huge rift between these two!

--------------------------------------------------

"Unbeknownst to many, Gilbert Arenas had a lot of anger stored up against Jordan, whom he felt contributed mightily to his knee injury last season by not starting Arenas in the game in which he was hurt. The more he confided in people about his resentment, it sounded like the recipe for a season gone awry.

When a team's coach and his best player don't have a decent relationship in the NBA, losses, trades and firings usually follow. There was even recent talk that Arenas might publicly go after Jordan on media day.

When I asked Arenas about this in mid-September, though, he backed off. "

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Etan's got heart, there's no denying that. Everyone ought to rally around a man who fights like he has -- for rebounds, yeah, and for respect. And he keeps WORKING on those offensive moves, so I have faith. He can bring it!

And I pray he is well, the basketball player and the man.

I'm excited about this team, and I can't wait for the season to open. When you look at the talent on this team, and their familiarity and complementarianism, you have to be optimistic. The key will be at the outset, making experience pay out of the gate. We can do better than last year, when we had the best record in the East at the All-Star break.

And we have to stay healthy. The Wiz really could reign. I've got my fingers crossed.

Posted by: zinger1 | October 2, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

From Ivan's blog:

Brendan Haywood was there today and addressed several issues including his recent sit down with Eddie Jordan and his relationship/rivalry/boxing history with Etan Thomas. For starters, Brendan said that he never demanded a trade thus refuting a report that came out following the season.

"I never came out and said that I didn't want to be here. There were a lot of articles written but there was never a direct quote from myself or Ernie Grunfeld about what was said in that meeting so, like I said, if you didn't hear it from me, it's not the truth. I'm happy to be here and we'll see what goes on during the season."

On the center competition with Etan: "I feel comfortable about a battle with Etan because I trained all summer and I think I'm ready for it. We'll see what happens when camp is over."

On him and Etan putting the fights behind them: "At the end of the day, we both understand that this is a business and the things that happened last year can't happen this year. Every time you get mad you can't just go fight somebody. That makes us both look like idiots."

More on that: "I told somebody that Ali and Frazier only fought three times so that has to be the end of it for me and Etan. At the end of the day, we both have a mutual respect for each other and we realize that we embarrass ourselves, our team and our families every time we go out there and act silly. You can always talk things out before you fight. Besides, he's a peace activist so he can't do that anyway."

-----------------------------------------------
Well, glad to hear it. If these guys just go out and play basketball and stop fighting each other, that would be huge. I expect that Haywood will even get along better with EJ.

I've been one of his biggest critics, but for the time being at least, I'll try to remember to refer to him as Brendan Haywood. It took a man for him to say what he did, so he deserves that.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Zinger, good point about "making experience pay out of the gate." One edge the Wiz have over some of the other teams is the prior experience playing together. So they need to jump on the other teams before they figure things out.

Like everyone else, I'm hoping for the best for ET. I got concerned when he didn't participate in the informal team scrimmages and he also missed a team event last week. Maybe it had nothing to do with this health issue, but it seemed odd. Anyway, I wish him nothing but the best whatever his playing status is.

Posted by: Mitch | October 3, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I agree with an earlier post. Don't know who said it but I think Etan will be back much sooner than people expect. No one knows how serious this is (other than Etan) so lets all hope for the best. Etan might not be the tallest (or healthiest) but no one on the Wiz played with more determination than him. I'm still trippin' over that game when he shut down Dwight Howard by his damn self! And put up a serious double double (15 and 15) the same night. As far as the whole "starting center" crap goes, I still hold on to the belief that Etan and Brendan should start at the 4 and 5 spot. They both are good interior defenders and would replace one bad defender (Jamison). Plus I think the depth is there that when one of them needs a blow, someone like Pesh or Blatche or Songilia can come in.

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

C.Bell

DCBOY88 is a troll,and you just fed him. Don't feed the troll.

Posted by: Wizzy | October 3, 2007 5:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope that Etan is all right, and can get back to basketball real soon.

Posted by: rgz | October 3, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like seeing the true charchter of a blogger(if there is such a thing) of attacking a man when he is down about his political beliefs.

I'm sure it is Etan fault we not winning the war.

The man earned my respect making it back from the eye socket injury. Get well ET.

Posted by: pg posse | October 3, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"Normally, i never go after another blogger but, DCMan88, can we ease up on Gil for a bit? I don't care about your feelings towards him, I'm sure I hate somebody that you like, but can we at least hold off on him until we get to a Gil-oriented post? Etan's health was the issue of this post but yet all of your comments were geared towards Gil. I'm only saying something cause I don't want a repeat of last year's blogs when we had bloggers at each other's throats. People blogging under others' names, and so on. I got no beef wit U dawg. Just tryna keep the peace.

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 01:43 AM "

I hear you C.Bell, but I'm just posting something that was recently written by Mike Wise about Gilby and EJ. Nobody knew that such a thing was going on at the end of last season, but I had a hint of it, but it was shot down by Lisa. Now, I have proven Lisa wrong yet again.

As much as most of us would like to start the season on a good note, there is a lot of dirty laundry on this team. You can run from it, b/c it affects their play on the court. That's just the reality of the situation, whether people want to "feed into it or not."

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully this is nothing big and he will be cleared to play in a couple of days. If this was found at his regular physical, that means he might not have seen a cardiologist yet to really get a good check on it.

Once the cardiologist is able to take a look with the imagining machine and that other machine they use to check your heart rate, they will then probably have a more definitive answer. Hopefully it might have been something he ate that day or a small heart murmer (which is not harmful).

Etan is a good dude and I never had a problem with him personally. I love his game at "4" spot but not the "5" that's all. Its not his fault if EJ keeps playing him there at the "5". Get well soon Etan.....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | October 3, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Etan is a decent guy and I hope he recovers. Given that, I don't see him as a legit 4 or 5. He's just a scrapper of the bench who does a bit of each position and it should be left at that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

DCDude, as usual, you are off the mark. I never said that there were no problems between Gil and Eddie at the end of the season - because I suspected Gil was angry with him.

Nevertheless, this is not the thread to go on yet another rant about Gil.

Posted by: Lisa | October 3, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The scary witch pops up her ugly head! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I knew you were lurking there somewhere.

"The comments I made were about Gil not attending the games due to his injury - he was injured and that is why he did not spend time at Verizon Center."

I posted a quote when this happened, about EJ saying directly that he had no idea where Gilby was, hadn't heard from him, and when he was pressed by the reporters, said that it was up to management to mandate or not mandate that he show up for games, so there you go.

In case you don't remember, Gilby showed up at the VC on game day, chit chatted with the players, and left before the games started. Only when Ivan pointed out that Caron was there being the head cheerleader although he was out injured, did Gilby get some heat and then he eventually showed up too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I hope EG has Party John's number on his rolodex. Washington Times reports from two sources that Etan's career is probably over. Imagine if AB had to guard Zo, Shaq, Okafor, Dwight Howard, Zaza, Bosh, etc. down low if BTH gets fouls early. Not good.

Massenburg won't be able to keep up with the top players b/c you can only move so fast with a walker in front of you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

See DCMan88, we do agree. lol. I think Etan is a helluva scrapper. I wouldn't give him 25-30 minutes a night but the coaching staff...I repeat, the coaching staff needs to find a way to maximize both Etan and BTH's abilities.

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The funniest/scariest thing I saw all last season were set plays run for Etan. It consisted mainly of him back to the basket, getting the ball, and making a quick turnaround for a shot. Zo would eat it up all the time or he would miss and then grab the board and dunk for his highlight of the game.

Etan's bread and butter should be in a Ben Wallace role. Not have set plays run for him. He should just scrap for boards and putbacks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

DCMan88, Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever read or believe anything the washington times reports. they're republican!

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

This is a great place to post and all but it can do without all of the personal attacks on posters who don't agree with you. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, right or wrong and should not have to be subjected to verbal attacks by some whose viewpoints may be different. After all, isn't this supposed to be a website where Wiz fans can come and share in the victories and commiserate in defeat? Let's be adult about it and post in peace.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that!

C.Bell, how does politics affect sports? Interesting concept though.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know what "5's" are out there on the market to come in and take up space through training camp and preseason? By that time something should be known about Etan. By the way, please don't mention James Lang.

This poor man's Oliver Miller is not the answer and I do not know how he even made the team last year. Can somebody say PETER JOHN RAMOS..........??????????!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | October 3, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

EG might have to get that other Russian on a plane right now. Vermeenko?

Or, Sun Ming Ming will do. I think he tried out for the Lakers last season, and played local ball here earlier this season with one of the local leagues.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I hope DCMoron88 gets a heart condition too.
effing self promoting idiot.

Curse on you.

This should be about Etan not u moron.

Posted by: IHATEDC88 | October 3, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Poor baby. Did I hurt your feelings? If so, go eat some rat poison.

In case you didn't notice, the NBA is a business and Etan will live on even if he has a heart condition and cannot play. EG's got to be thinking about alternatives right now.

Etan is lucky EG signed him to a 40 mil plus contract, so he's set for life (well, at least for 99.9% of the population not not named Gilby).

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

DCMan88, I don't know how it affects sports. All I know is that my dad told me to never believe the Times cause they repubs. And I believe my dad's words more than anyone.

Posted by: C.Bell | October 3, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Did you believe Slick Willy when he said he didn't have "....relations with that woman" even though there was ample evidence left on a dress? :D

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 3, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno actually said Etan Thomas's "politics aside" and yet several of you have a kneejerk reaction and come out swinging at Barno.

Funny how the Left operates these days isn't it? They want to silence all of those that potentially disagree with their beliefs.

They completely ignore the facts Barno laid out. He made a perfectly legitimate case against Etan Thomas being on the Wizards, including:

"he is a liability"
"He's a hothead"
"who can't shoot"
"is undersized in the paint" and,
"6 1/2 seasons with the team" is long enough

All of that is, according to Barno, "aside" from his spreading of political propaganda in the community, which is another issue entirely.

But judging from the angry responses to Barno, some of you simply aren't able to get past the very mention of Etan's politics.

Posted by: Abe | October 3, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

There shouldn't be any need to "get past" it because there was no reason to mention it in the first place. Etan's politics have a grand total of nothing to do with his value as a player, thus if Barno was solely interested in discussing Thomas' bball merit there would have been no reason to mention his politics. He was clearly taking a shot at Etan's supposed leftist leanings as something he found unpalatable. And while it's his right to think whatever he wants about Etan's politics, it has no value being brought up in a discussion about basketball.

And I won't even get started on the not very subtle shot you took with your line about "his spreading of political propaganda in the community."

Stick to bball and leave the personal crap out of it, how about that?

Posted by: kalorama | October 4, 2007 3:23 AM | Report abuse

In the grand scheme of things, his political beliefs should not matter, but owning a franchise is owning a private company, and Abe can have whomever he wants on this team and that at times can be dictated by the person's character and beliefs.

I read somewhere that Etan is a follower of extreme beliefs, including those from Sister Souljah. Here's some more info on what she's into:

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Which is, and remains, irrelevant to whether he's any good as a basketball player. And you'll excuse us if we don't take uncorroborated claims of what you "read somewhere" as the last word on his character.

Posted by: kalorama | October 4, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It is both relevant and irrelevant. I never said it had anything to do with his basketball skills, but many people better than him at their own profession have been released due to their beliefs, by private companies. Do you think the ADL will hire someone who supports Al-Quaida even if they are a great project manager?

Oh yeah, I remember now. This profile of Etan was done in the Post. According to his bio as printed, he's a big follower of Sister Souljah's writings.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 4, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I have read Etan's writings and much if it is simply unabashed ignorance. He is a naive human being and his words can and should be every bit as critiqued as the words of any other famous athlete. He has a responsibility to give back to the community, but not by spreading hatred. His message to young people that "republicans don't like you" is a dangerous message to send.

But, again, I do wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he can continue his career, just elsewhere.

Posted by: Barno | October 5, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: George | November 10, 2007 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Harp on

Posted by: TIGGER | November 28, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

(The) penny drops

Posted by: PRECIOUS | November 28, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

A fish out of water

Posted by: BAILEY | November 30, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hello allany body help me?
http://a-cash.info/pharmacyonline/vigra-substituteonline ">.vigra substitute