Ugly end to preseason

Does the way a team end the preseason matter? I guess we'll all find out Wednesday night when the Wizards open the regular season in Indianapolis because they got smashed tonight by a Toronto Raptors team that was playing on back-to-back nights but still managed to play with more purpose, energy and cohesion than the Wiz at both ends.

The players are happy to be done with the preseason and weren't freaking out about the beatdown they got afterward but their body language during the game suggested that it bothered them. It simply wasn't a good night.

I spoke with Gilbert Arenas, who rested tonight, after the game and he said that he's right where he wants to be physically going into the opener but will spend some extra time shooting and doing skill work over the weekend and on Monday.

Those of you who were able to find the game know that the Wiz were outplayed in every way. They missed open shots (Caron and Antawn were a combined 3 of 17), they were outrebounded 28-15 in the first half and the Raptors basically got any shot they wanted with slick ball movement and decisive drives to the basket - the more I see of Jose Calderon, the more I like him.

For the record, the Raptors beat Chicago by 10 the other night, blasted Cleveland 111-78 on Thursday night and smacked the Wiz tonight. That's going to be a good, deep team though I would be a little bit concerned about Chris Bosh and that sore knee. He wasn't moving real well out there tonight. Andrea Bargnani on the other hand, is bigger and stronger and appears to be coming along nicely. He's more athletic than I thought he was. It's hard to believe but folks were talking about firing Sam Mitchell at this time last year. Now, we could be talking about one of the top teams in the East.

On the positive side, DeShawn Stevenson had his best game of the preseason (12 points on 5 of 7 shooting) and Nick Young had his moments once again. Oleksiy Pecherov, who missed the last two games with a thigh bruise, played but missed all six of his shots with three rebounds in just under 17 minutes.

Folks, about the best thing I can say about this one is: nobody got hurt. It's been a long week with stops in Atlanta, Detroit and here so I'm looking forward to getting on that bird and coming home in the morning. The team is off tomorrow but will practice Sunday.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 26, 2007; 9:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas out, Pesh to play tonight in Toronto
Next: Monday update

Comments

If their body language suggests they didn't like getting hammered tonight, I'll take that as a good sign. At least they weren't acting like they just wanted to mail it in.

That said, Toronto does strike me as a team that's deep and good in all the right spots, and somewhat troubling for Washington to match up with.

I'm SO glad the preseason is over and no one got injured. The Wiz are probably so anxious to get under way they're about to turn on each other -- much like some of us in this blog. (Look how we've been reading into just about every scrap of info the last couple of months!)

Now it's all for real. Bring it on.

Posted by: iceberg | October 26, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, nice pre-season reporting. Now it's for real, bring on the regular season!

Have you heard back from Etan yet Ivan?

Posted by: Juan DC | October 26, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, A trade of Jamison for J.Kidd works in the trade machine. If we got Kidd would Kobe want to come here for Arenas and filler to play w/Kidd and Butler? Throw Blatche at the 4 and Haywood at center and it looks pretty good. Your thoughts!

Posted by: Eric, Ellerslie,MD | October 26, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

If you bring Kobe here, I will stop watching the Wizards and start rooting for I don't know, maybe the Bulls whom I like a little better than bratty Bryant. Sorry, but having a great basketball team is more than just winning games, it's about a winning team too.

Posted by: rgz | October 26, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

why do you keep talking about crazy trades that will never happen? Geez......

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

We cannot laugh this off and Kool-Aide it off, they looked bad!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is that at the start of the season, I don't want to hear any excuses, nor do I want to see any blowouts like this, nor do I want to hear BS about working out the kinks. Time for excuses has come and gone.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 26, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

"Folks, about the best thing I can say about this one is: nobody got hurt."

Lol, good!

I was expecting to see something like "Jamison rolls knee, out for season."

Thank God.

Two things:

1) The pre-season sucks.

2) The Wiz just don't match up with Toronto very well.

As I said a few weeks back a lot of teams in the East got much better, Toronto being one of them.

Bring on the season! :)

The next game is for real.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 26, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

So much for our improved defense!! I just don't understand what our fundamental flaw is defensively because guys talk a good game but don't follow through. We shoot jumper after jumper and the opponent either gets a layup or a wide open shot because the guards can't stop penetration, the defense collapses and ultimately we fail to close-out on perimeter guys. I think we all better face the fact that the Wiz will continue to be a team that will have to rely on decent shooting on offense to have any shot of winning. When our shots are off, we lose - plain and simple.

Posted by: Firuz | October 26, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Fundamental flaw is lack of leadership. Who are the player leaders on this team and how many of them actually play good, tough D, and motivate their teammates to do this? Who are your physical players on this team?

It's one thing coming from an authority figure like a coach whom they can tune out b/c they have guaranteed contracts, but a different thing coming from your star player(s) if he leads by example, and doesn't mind getting into people's faces because he has credibility based on doing it himself. This is not just a knock on Gilby, but AJ also.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 26, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert for Larry Craig. It works in the trade machine and Larry Craig has a wide stance, so he can definitely play some D.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 26, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88,

You nailed it. Our best player is focused on one aspect of the game on the court and shows his immaturity by doing things such as playing online poker at halftime (as reported last season). Our second best player, AJ, can't get in anybody's face because he's worse than Gil defensively. If Caron could exert more control over the locker room maybe we'd stand a chance. I don't think Caron is a guy who anybody wants to tick off. I hate to say it but maybe we've got too many "nice guys".

Posted by: Firuz | October 27, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

The Detroit outcome concerned me, and so does this one. They look like mid-season Wizards, no defense, not mental toughness. It's disconcerting to be sure. Not sure how this team is going to come out on Wednesday.

Posted by: Colin | October 27, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | October 26, 2007 11:55 PM

A trade of Jamison for J.Kidd works in the trade machine.

Posted by: Eric, Ellerslie,MD | October 26, 2007 10:27 PM

While we're all talking about idiotic and completely stupid trade scenarios; how about Arenas for Kwame Brown and Jordan Farmar (Lakers).... It works in the Trade Machine!!

LOL

Posted by: Rook | October 27, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

After the last two games the only thing I can say is HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: THE TRUTH | October 27, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

How about Gilby for Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Who the F is Larry Craig??!!

It's interesting to me that article about Hayes. The way Ivan talks about how good Hayes has played this preseason, then ends the article on Deshawn's poor play. Is he implying he thinks the Wizards should of kept Hayes instead of Stevenson? So far it looks like that might be the case.

Do Eddie's comments mean he is considering going with Young as the starter? Stevenson just is not impressive. He is strong and athletic, but he is not smooth. He has no fluidity. He is kindof stiff and uncoordinated. And he seems to have small hands cause everytime he makes a move to the basket the ball slips out of his hands. He can't slam with one hand it seems either. His handle he loses control if he tries to penetrate. I think even Mason is probably better. He can hit the 3, can handle pretty well, and plays good D. I'd probably start him at this point. But starting Young now, he might not be ready, but it could be a good move if it means he'll be better at the end of the season.

It stink this game was not televised! What is the deal?! Last season Comcast had every preseason game. This year only like 2 of them I think? Why? What's the problem!? Why aren't they showing the games!!!

Posted by: Darnell | October 27, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It's funny how some Les BouleS fans seem to be getting buyer's remorse with DS and his lack of production to date. I personally think he's a bust. That's why nobody besides Les BouleS seriously considered him as a free agent for their team during the summer. That's why Orlando gave him a cursory offer two years ago. That's why I was all against signing him over the summer. What did DS do during the playoffs that garnered such a reward? Nothing.

I'm betting that EG didn't sign DS just to please Gilby, because EG has got to be smarter than that. I'm probably wrong though.

I'm glad to see Jarvis is doing well. All last season, I was on this blog telling people to cut the dude some slack because he's coming off a broken kneecap twice, fell hard on the court, and never really had time to get into the flow of the offense because EJ was yank happy, and Jarvis never really got many touches to begin with. Nobody agreed. I hope Jarvis gets some good shots against Les BouleS this season, including some backbreakkkker game winners.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 1:13 AM | Report abuse

What a good fan you are.

Posted by: Gus | October 27, 2007 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Darnell, Eddie sent a message to Stevenson in a radio interview,publically, that he needs to "step it up" bring his game"
His 22% shooting was not indicative of a starters position especially with Nick Young shooting 44%. I'm sure his "buddy" Gilbert told him to "try to play tonite."
So, he did but its not guarantee he'll play everynite.

LOL, LOL,LOL Same old song.different season and Gilbert can't give out enough interviews...We have the most PR'd point guard in the business...always looking for a camera..but his team is losing..
Something is wrong here.

Ok go ahead make excuses..but the writing is on the wall...

Posted by: WAPO reader | October 27, 2007 2:23 AM | Report abuse

That said, I think the Wiz will be just fine. As Ray said, let the real games begin.

Posted by: khrabb | October 27, 2007 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Why is Anderson Varejao still out there? (I don't see him listed on NBA.com as a player, and I know I read about a week ago that he was still unsigned.) With the exemption for Etan, couldn't they go out and get him to a 1 year deal, like they did with DeShawn for far under what he miscalculated the market to be. I know it puts them over the luxury tax threshold, but that doesn't come due until later in the season. Get Verrajo, then be an acrive player at the deadline to get under the cap, unless it appears that you can compete for a championship.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 27, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

here we go!

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | October 27, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Toronto has a good deep team, which is why they did well in the pre-season, when the end of their bench could easily beat the end of any opponent's bench... and they will do well in the real season when they can keep throwing fresh combinations at you.

Posted by: khrabb | October 27, 2007 05:51 AM "

Helps not to be shorthanded it seems...

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

""I hope Jarvis gets some good shots against Les BouleS this season, including some backbreakkkker game winners."

What a good fan you are.

Posted by: Gus | October 27, 2007 02:20 AM "

Jarvis was a good guy. Never any trouble from him, never any controversy. But, was discarded like a used condom while they instead spent money on someone like DS who can't step up unless the game is totally meaningless.

What is DS know for besides hitting an open J once in awhile when the team is fully healthy. He drew more attention to himself than he deserved. No other team out there wanted him, but EG paid him anyway.

They gave up on Jarvis too soon, and I hope the team/management lives to regret it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | October 27, 2007 07:38 AM

Varejao wants $10 Million a year. He's not going to sign for $3 Million with the Wizards.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 27, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, because four years really isn't enough time to give a player a fair chance.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 27, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, I'd say the pre-season was a success because I was looking for two things:
1) status of the 4 young guys and 2) improved focus and execution of defense.

The oppposition averaged 91 points a game. For the Wiz, that's miraculous!

And the young guys averaged over 20 minutes a game and showed great promise.

When normalized to 40 minutes per game,
Blatche averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Over 40 minutes, Young averaged 18.6 points and 5 rebounds a game.

Over 40, OP averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds per game.

Over 40, McGuire averaged over 7 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks.

While it's only pre-season, the "second five" played as well as the starting five. Going into the season, I would hope EG could use his influence for the team to:

1) keep the emphasis on defense and
2) better balance the minutes to be better prepared when the inevitable injuries occur and to further develop the young guys.

I'm ambivalent about this (no excuse) year given the previous family feuds, but I'm excited about next year (if the young guys get the necessary experience this year).

Posted by: Izman | October 27, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

re. Jarvis Hayes, apparently some folks on here wanted him to stay. Without comparing him to anyone, Jarvis spent 4 good years worth of 1st round draft pick Wizards money. If he was not ready to play for the Wizards, they would not keep him and they did not. Period. Time for management to move on to other prospects and possibilities. All of a sudden he now has more confidence in his play, all of a sudden he's now penetrating. Well, he has learned his lesson hasn't he? If he wants to stay a Piston, he has to step up his game, something he was not able to do here.

Posted by: rgz | October 27, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Anon,

In regards to Varejao, he's holding out for a $50 million, 5-year contract.

I think everyone on this board will agree that he's nowhere near being worth that kind of money.

Posted by: David | October 27, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I liked Jarvis too, seemed like a good guy, but he just didn't pan out here. Now after a couple of preseason games people are saying the Wiz should have signed him to start at the 2? Are you kidding? If Ernie had done that can you imagine the howls on this board: Arvis this, Arvis that? The Wiz gave him four years trying to make their 1st round pick work out. Time to move on, not to throw good money after bad.

Everyone's down on DW now too after a couple of preseason games. The guy gave us 50% from the field last year and reasonably good perimeter defense. That's about what we need from the 2 spot and Ernie locked him down at a good price. Sure, take away Gil and Caron and DS has a problem creating shots for himself. Take away two starting All Stars from any team and you'll find that the rest of the starters have a tougher time scoring.

Only the regular season will tell.

Posted by: Prazak | October 27, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree I saw what I wanted to see this preaseason. I think overall the team defense looks better. And I think the bench (which was also a weakness last year) has looked much better. I like what I've seen from the rooks. I really like this group. I think it's great to have these guys all coming in together, all about the same age and all have good but varying experience for young players. Blatche, who came straight from high school, missed most of his first year, then rode the bench last season. Got some good experience though when the starters were hurt and in the playoffs. McGuire and Young who both had nice college experience, and Pecherov has played a couple seasons professionally overseas. It's kind of like when the Dodgers brought up Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey all together from the minors, and they became their infield for the next 10 years. They all seem to play well which each other. I like the idea of having a 1st unit of vets, with that 2nd unit of rooks, with the two groups really establishing a continuity among themselves. At every spot you got the vet with their understudy apprentice. Haywood with Blatche, Jamison with Pesh, Caron with McGuire, Stevenson with Young. I like this 2nd unit of young but talented players. They will be fun to watch throughout the year as they gain experience and improve their play and chemistry. And I like having the young guys on that second unit lead by the vet Antonio Daniels, who is the consumate professional, is very good running the team and distributing with out turning it over. He makes good decisions, and gets to the line, and the young players (especially Nick Young) can learn alot playing along side him, as well as Songaila, who also plays a smart and physical style. But that is what I wanted to see this preseason, and I'd say I do like what I've seen as far as the defense, the play of the bench, and the integration and improvement of the young guys.

Posted by: Darnell | October 27, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

And those areas should continue to improve throughout the season! This will be an interesting and fun season to watch. I am so glad the season is finally here!!!!

Posted by: Darnell | October 27, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how people try to equate Jarvis' time here and his lack of production while conveniently forgetting the fact that he broke his kneecap twice and was out a lot. It's a miracle he's even back at full strength and is doing well.

I guess MJ was lucky that Chicago didn't give up on him his first years when he had his broken foot. Or Zo got a chance with Miami after his kidney replacement.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"I agree I saw what I wanted to see this preaseason. I think overall the team defense looks better. And I think the bench (which was also a weakness last year) has looked much better. I like what I've seen from the rooks.

Posted by: Darnell | October 27, 2007 11:45 AM "

I'm convinced also, especially after last night's game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh stop with the Arvis comparisons to MJ and Zo. Those guys flashed a hell of a lot more before they were hurt than Arvis did.
He had two years after his kneecap injury and he got plenty of time in a lot of games last year (granted at the wrong spot, PF) but he wasn't ever going to do it with the Wizards. Maybe he will for the Pistons and if he does, then fine. I would much rather have had Navarro than Arvis or DeShawn. Lets hope consistent PT with the first team will get DeShawn back on track, I am just glad that Eddie Jordan is willing to go to Nick Young if DeShawn doesn't start playing better.

Posted by: George Templeton | October 27, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 - did you take your meds today?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 27, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah George, you're right. Not exactly right to compare an All-star player like Zo (even before he had his kidney Transplant), and Jordan, the Best Player ever to play the game, with Jarvis Hayes...

Don't get me wrong, I like Jarvis just fine, but he's never going to be an All Star. He may be a servicable NBA player, but that was only going to happen if he left Washington.

Posted by: Rook | October 27, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Jarvis Hayes is injury prone belongs in the "con" column, not the "pro."

Posted by: Smith | October 27, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

just because I am sick of the JCN is God on here try these numbers out. In the preseason he avg 11pts 1.7asst 2.5to 41% from the field and 44% from 3, on 24 min and playing against 2nd teamers and foregin teams of guys who can't make the NBA. should I also mention he's fighting for playing time in MEM. I just can't beleive people actually wanted him on this team as a starter.Not to mention his stats in spain are not all that great. yeah, this is why EG makes decisions and not you guys, he wouldn't even get playing time here behind all our guards. All he is is and undersized 2 he doesn't see the floor good enough to be a point and at the 2 he will get destroyed be avg 2's in this league. Thank GOD EG didn't keep this waste.

Posted by: Bullet | October 27, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Anybody that really knows anything about basketball could see all of Jarvis Hayes at his best and worst the other night when we played Detroit.

At 6'8" and about 245lbs Jarvis got ate alive when he tried to matchup aginst Jamison. If you have DVR or Tivo, play back the spin moves Jamison put on him. By the way he posted up Young, but did you see Young blow by him?

Most of Jarvis's 21 points were put up against reserves, what he is is a solid rotation guy. A guy with limitations, but is a good enough pro that a good coach can get solid production from him off the bench, only if he picks his spots to get him favorable matchups.

Much of his problem last year stemmed from the Wizards early season injuries at power forward. With both Ruffin and Songalia out early in the year, and Blatche needing a dose of tough love on the bench, Jarvis got heavy early season time as a backup at the 4.

Given that we brought in Young at the 2 and TMac at the 3, bringing back Jarvis would have only taken playing time from two youngsters. And defensively Stevenson can handle more guards as a starter then Jarvis, did I mention Young blowing by him?
He can't handle quick guys at all, period.

Like Izman and Darnell, I see taken as a whole there's alot of positives from this preseason. The first unit in particular when they've played together have looked good on D. Eddie has seemed to get a look at some different combinations that I think we'll see down the line. And I do like how the young players have looked.

After a shaky start Mason has looked fine as a backup at both guard spots and Songalia and Daniels will give the second unit two solid vets. Blatche seems ready to explode this year and might be a budding star in this league.

And we got through the preseason with everyone rested and healthy. I'm still thinking upper 40's in wins, I'm not quite sure what to make off the competition in the east yet.

There's some real chemistry experiments going on with some of these teams, might take 20-25 games to see what some of these teams really are. It's time play some games for real and see how it all comes out.

Posted by: GM | October 27, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Not to put too fine a point on it Bullet, but it is after all, only pre-season. You can't say that JCN is a good player OR a bust until he's actually played in some meaningful games.

After all, Gilbert only averaged 10.6 pts 2.6 assists 2.4 to on 29% from the field and 18% from 3, in 23 min per game.

Posted by: Rook | October 27, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

And NO , I'm NOT comparing Arenas to JCN!! Just saying that 6 or 7 pre-season games are not the best time to make a reasonable evaluation of a player.

Posted by: Rook | October 27, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"Comparing Jarvis's career to MJ or Zo, wow! Take the tin foil off your head, and take your prescribed Meds.

Posted by: GM | October 27, 2007 06:04 PM "

GM's got reading comprehension problems. Nobody's comparing Jarvis to MJ or Zo, but what is being compared is that both dudes had injury problems and teams stuck by them and they prospered, so hopefully Jarvis will prosper also in Detroit.

Saying Jarvis looked silly because both AJ and Young blew by him with moves means almost nothing because both AJ and Young don't play any defense either.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

ESPN has a rookie preseason rating. Of interest:
1. Al Thornton
5. Aaron Gray
8. Juan Carlos Navarro
9. Pecherov
17. Dominic McGuire
20. Nick Young

Posted by: Wind Rider | October 27, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

"Who the F is Larry Craig"

Is this not DC?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 27, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Guys...It is the preseason...Why are some of you so down on DS before the season begins? I thought a new season brought optimism for fans, maybe It's just me...
Remember DS's role, Playing decent D, Making some open shots, and finishing on the break on occasion. He is a complimentary player, a role that I feel he filled quite well last year. Sure he struggled without Gil and Caron, but he is not a go-to player. He resigned for a fairly low salary, and has good chemistry with Gil. Also, it might be nice to have some continuity in the back court for once. Before everyone ships DS out of town, do you think you might give him maybe 1/2 of a regular season? Or even 20 games? I mean damn, he shot nearly 50% from the field last year.

And the comments about us regretting letting Jarvis go and hoping he burns the Wiz....Are you kidding me? Did you watch him play for the last FOUR years. Sure he might come around in Detroit but he had a fair shot in Washington and did not live up to his duty, mainly making open shots, especially as a top-ten pick. Hopefully you'll be man enough to stand by all your outlandish statements if they prove to be false...Since you are so willing to go against a team you claim to be a fan of.

I thought this was a wizards board...Are some of you even fans, or do you have nothing better to do then be pessimistic and negative. I don't speak for everyone but I would rather not read some of that garbage on here, and focus on Wizards B-Ball. Ivan and Mike write insightful articles and the best you can do is spew negativity.

Sorry, but I read this blog as often as possible and get irritated when many genuine fans can't have a good discussion because certain people always have something negative to say. I for one don't think it belongs here. Start your own blog if you need to be heard constantly, but man it's getting annoying.

Barring any catastrophic injuries I am predicting a 47-35 record, 1# in SE Division, and #4 in the conference, with Blatche maturing and helping the team get over the proverbial hump to getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Anyone else have a prediction? Go Wiz

Posted by: DT | October 27, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

""Who the F is Larry Craig"

Is this not DC?

Posted by: | October 27, 2007 09:00 PM "

You are f'n paranoid!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the spread today in the Post by Mike Wise yet again about Gilby that rehashes the same story about the origin of Agent Zero? It must have been another slow news quarter at the Post.

Again, the tired "Zero" moniker needs to be retired because that sob story has come and gone. Mike Wise and his corny cynic-wannabe narrative style needs to be retired along with "Agent Zero."

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 27, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

DT, My prediction has been in the upper 40's for wins. I'd agree Blatche could be blooming into a young star with a breakout season.

Where we finish in the east could have alot to do with some of the chemistry experiments other GM's have going on.

Ricky Davis as a number three option in Miami's offense? He's never been happy without the ball in his hands, can he change his M.O. to be part of a playoff team?

Who's playing point in Boston? Can their big three that is older and been less healthy then ours in recent years stay healthy? Can they develop any depth to keep those guys from playing 40+ minutes a game?

Cleveland has got some real problems right now, can they get all of their guys signed and happy? How long will the holdouts go on? And LeBron has now played two striaght summers, will the wear and tear start to catchup with him?

Chicago looks to be for real, I thought they overpaid for Joe Smith but it could end up being a good move for them. I think he'll give them more then PJ did last year.

The Raptors have to get Bosh healthy to be a factor, and I just don't know what to think about Orlando's big move. That's one I'm really going to reserve judgement until I see them play awhile.

New Jersey's big three are a year older and Jason Kidd played with team USA this summer and I'm wondering if wear and tear will be a factor with him as well. And I don't think their new center is going to fit in with them at all.

The Knicks, they got away with Curry at center because Lee did all the dirty work. Now they've brought in Randolph to play PF and forced one of the few guys that doesn't need the ball in his hands to produce to the second unit.

Somebody's ego is going to have to take a backseat for that team to work. Portland couldn't keep Zack out of the strip clubs, I'm just wondering how many more night spots are in NY City and the surrounding area than in Portland?

I'm thinking at least 10 to 1 or maybe way more, and if he gets bored Atlantic City is just a few hours away. Talk about a kid in a candy store, I'm betting Zack doesn't make it through the year without a brush with the law.

My reading comprehension is just fine, 88' er compared the Wizards giving up on Jarvis Hayes to the Bulls sticking with MJ after he broke his foot or the Heat giving Zo a shot at a comeback. Zo had been an Allstar many, many times before his illness.

Jordan was young but productive before his injury and came back and was even better afterward. In Jarvis's two non-injury years he's played hard, but has never gotten good enough to be a regular starter after 4 seasons.

Detroit had no competition and signed him to a Vet's Min. deal. I've said earlier that I felt they could have gotten a bargain, especially since Stuckey got hurt.
But if Chicago had released Jordan I'd have thought there would have been a few suitors.

And NJ did sign Zo to a big free agent deal after the Kidney transplant, so history and NBA GM's put their money where their mouth is and proved how stupid that comparison was.

Making comparisons like that and things like the sign Ming Ming tirade the other day make me really start to wonder. We constantly here about Arenas doing anything to get attention.

But isn't that what 88'er does here all day every day, if it makes a wit of sense or not?

Posted by: GM | October 27, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

DT, I wish I could agree with your prediction of a 47-35 record. My own prediction is 35-47, with EJ probably gone by mid-season. I really hate to say it, but this is shaping up as a disastrous season.

The core is exactly the same, and the bench has been weakened through the replacement of veterans by rookies and the unexpected absence of ET.

I like these rookies but they are still rookies and the absence of ET, Booth, Ruffin and even Arvis will be felt.

Even making the playoffs will require: Gilbert's knee not to be a continuing problem; the rookies to make faster progress than one usually expects from rookies; and AB to show more than he ever has before. All of these are doubtful propositions in my mind, and if even one of them doesn't pan out we're in trouble.

Also, an injury to C-But or AJ would put us in deep doo-doo, and I'm not sure the team could withstand an injury to B-Hay or AD either. This team has no margin for error. Heck, we hardly have enough guys to put out on the practice court.

I really hope I'm proven wrong, but this could be a really long season.

Posted by: Mitch | October 27, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

"The core is exactly the same, and the bench has been weakened through the replacement of veterans by rookies and the unexpected absence of ET"

The bench is stronger now than it has been in years. Those veterans who've been replaced were 10-12th man caliber players who were filling 7-9th man roles. The young players are more talented, more athletic, and play with more energy. It may take a while for them to learn the ropes, but they have potential to all be good and effective. The potential bus had long since left the likes of Ruffin and Booth behind.

Jarvis was the only one who still had any possibility of being a solid regular contributer, but it was pretty clear that his confidence was gone and he needed to go somewhere else to get it back.

Posted by: kalorama | October 27, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait till the games begin to count. Pre-season scores mean very, very little fellows so ignore them. Barring major injury I predict 49-54 wins, third seed in the east behind Detroit and Chicago. We have continuity among our starters, which is highly underrated. Our bench has more talent and depth. The big questions are...

1/ Can Ayres get them to get seroius about defense

2/ Can Jordan get a good rotation that makes sense on the court and creates harmony in the locker room.

3/ Can we establish the mental toughness to put away bad teams, whether on the road or at home, rather than play down to the competition and have stupid losses.

What has me most excited about the team is Blatche, MacGuire, Pecherov and Songalia, in that order. Based on the pre-seasen games that I saw, we have much more firepower than we had as last season began. I see no reason to think that we won't have a better bench.

To me the only way this team wins less than 40 is with serious injury. There is just too much talent on the team. I can;t beleive the so-called experts overlooking us as they are doing. When we beat the Celtics next week will they start taking us seriously? We shall see!

Let the season begin!

Posted by: BmoreRev | October 28, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Mitch although I'm a bit more optimistic. I don't see Gilby doing more than he did last season first half. If anything, he might regress due to his knee but also the emergence of other exciting dudes on this team. There is so much more to Les BouleS than Gilby.

AB rebounds, gets the block, makes moves, plays above the rim, and most importantly, always looks for the extra pass or the setup. Now that's exciting.

DMac is playing aggressive on D and also a good finisher, so that's good too. Same for CBut.

AJ is very boring. If he's not jacking long J's, he's making confusing dipsy doo layups. It's sad when your team captain has to sit on the bench during close games in the 4th quarter. Anybody ever get a quote on him about playing D?

As I've said many times before, I don't want to hear BS if Les BouleS don't hit the blocks running. I don't want to hear about Gilby's bum knee that happened about 1/2 year ago. I don't want to hear about how they are still learning the princeton offense. I don't want to hear about them still working on chemistry.

Les BouleS seemed to be emerging right before Chicago was emerging, and since then, Chicago has gotten so much better. So has Boston, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Toronto.

Anyone who doubts Cleveland is a fool. 84 games haven't even been played yet, and some jokers are saying they are in trouble. Lebron wear and tear? What about Gilby wear and tear with his knee, clavicle, shoulder, and abdominal muscle? Gilby relies more on quickness by beating his man off the dribble, while Lebron can both pass, and elevate to get his shot off. Lebron is just too smart of a basketball player so he can fall back on that.

Last I checked, they won the eastern conference and swept badly, some team that escapes my mind right now (bwahahah!!).

As Lebron said last season "I make my free throws." Can't say the same for others.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I am going to watch Jarvis Hayes very closely.I have to see if his ability flourishes in Detroit like Rick Hamilton,
Ben Wallace, Rashid. Its something when players leave- get to that fresh soil and envrionment - it just kicks them into high gear. I want to see if Jarvis is real.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone who doubts Cleveland is a fool. 84 games haven't even been played yet, and some jokers are saying they are in trouble."

DC MAN88,

I truly dont understand how you can say that. You said it yourself that Eastern teams have gotten better - Chicago, Boston, Charlotte... - and yet, what has Cleveland done? Without LeBron the Cavs are a lottery team. They've added NOTHING to their squad this past offseason and have essentially lost Varejao and Pavlovic with their contract issues. I would definitely say that with a stronger East, and with the Bulls and Pistons in their division, they are very much headed for trouble.

Your statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: David | October 28, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"DC MAN88,

Your statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: David | October 28, 2007 12:48 AM "

So, with Lebron James, Daniel Gibson, Eric Snow, Damon Jones, Big Z, and Larry Hughes, do you think Cleveland is not going to make the playoffs? What do the fools out there mean by saying Cleveland has "got some real problems?" The Cavs are now lottery bound because they're missing Varejao?

Also, why are you saying "without Lebron" they are a lottery team. Did Lebron suddenly blow his knee out? Did he get shot? Last I checked, he's still playing and healthy. Yeah, in some joker's mind, Lebron is an old man at 22 having played basketball all day all summer long, day and night. Whatever.

What is the state of Les BouleS without one of the "big 3?" What happened last season during the infamous west coast trip? What happened during last year's playoffs? What happened during the 2nd half of the season after the meaningless all star game?

If you're a diehard Les BouleS fan, you are dumb if you're wasting time saying other teams are in trouble when there's so much up in the air with your own d@mn team, Les BouleS. The curse can return.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 2:56 AM | Report abuse

"Oh stop with the Arvis comparisons to MJ and Zo."

Get'em George! ;)

"Why are some of you so down on DS before the season begins?"

A lot of it has to do with the JNC thing, and also because Stevenson is a very average player who thinks he's the "you know what." Plus I *think* one thing thing that is rubbing everyone the wrong way is that he is still a Wizard because of Gilbert. Not that anyone is upset with Gilbert but being good friends with your superstar player should not be the reason you're still on a team.

"DT, My prediction has been in the upper 40's for wins."

Agreed. This team will not win 50+ games until some of those kids on the bench get some experience. The one thing that was apparent in preseason was that other teams have more exerienced units off the bench then the Wiz do.

I say 45-47 wins and 4th/5th in the east, but with stronger bench play.

I also want to mention here that John Hollinger of ESPN is a crack-head. He watches a couple Wiz games and thinks he knows the team. I hope he loses all of his hair...oh wait. ;)

"Ricky Davis as a number three option in Miami's offense?"

I'm telling you that guy is a "Wizard Killer," he always seem to light the Wiz up. Great trade for Miami. :(

One note about JNC and watching him play some in preseason: he doesn't play a lick of defense. There were times he seemed "lost" out there and the guy he was guarding got easy looks at the rim. As much as anyone else here I would have liked to see him in Wiz uni, but I am having second thoughts on that...at least right now.

"Our bench has more talent and depth."

Absolutely Rev, but not experience. I'm hoping as the season goes on that they get it in a hurry for the playoffs. I see the starters logging heavy minutes once again.

Now if the injury bug hits this team in April again, I think the wheels are gonna fall off the wagon and we might be looking at a new coach next year. Either way I think Jordan has a VERY short leash this year.

Jordan was STILL trying to figure out his rotations during preseason and that has me very worried. We'll see.

As Rev says, it's preseason. Geeze preseason sucks.

God please let them stay healthy. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | October 28, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see many of the preseason games, but from what Ivan wrote, it seems Pecherov's decision making is still suspect and may have trouble getting much PT this year. Otherwise, the bench seems solid - some on the second unit have even established their own chemistry. What a difference from last year. Blatche will be a monster this year. Nick Young is beginning to intrigue me. Early in the preseason, it seemed he was destined to ride the bench the whole year. But he seems to be a very quick learner. He might find a niche as the season goes on to help the second unit with a scoring punch. It's a very solid second unit, but they may still lack a scoring punch without Young.

Posted by: reispace | October 28, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

DC Man88

"Gilby does what he does, and that is shoot J's, drive to the hole and shoot Ft's. Nothing exciting about that."

Need I go on? DC Boy is an idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah right - nothing exciting about 4 game winning shots at the buzzer... Nothing exciting about a dozen or so shots from near mid-court to end a quarter...Nothing exciting about being only one of three players in NBA history to score 50 points twice within three games...

Need I go on? DC Boy is an idiot.

Posted by: | October 28, 2007 09:12 AM"

Let me humor you and say this. Four game winning shots comes at 1 sec left on a 48 minute game clock (2.5 hour game). One sec left before the half and a few half time shots.

So what's going on the rest of the games? A lot of jacking up of long range bombs, a lot of free throws, but very little team chemistry, passing, setups for slams or easy buckets, tough D, etc.

You can have your boring games with an exciting 1 sec bomb smattered throughout the season, I'll take instead, better consistent play and beautiful setups and dishes from real guards and game managers like Nash, JKidd, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, etc.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Everyone, please don't forget that 'BWAHAHA' also known as 'DCMAN88' is an idiot. He's probably a pimply faced kid on this blog who always take contrary views to rile folks up. The fact that he always types 'BWAHAHA' (in Japanese video games, the characters laugh like this) is indicative of his level of maturity. Most of his points make no sense and are obviously anti-Wiz. Treat him as you would a cold sore...ignore him and hope he goes away

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

By the way, this is coming from someone other than the above poster who called 'BWAHAHA' an idiot. There are many here who feel this way.

Posted by: different anon | October 28, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Besides Cleveland could always sign Ming Ming to replace Varejo and trade a first rounder to Detroit for Jarvis Hayes and they will have totally retooled! Maybe they could hire 88'er to show Ferry the ropes and get them over the top.

Any of us could sit here and predict disaster for any NBA team if their best players get hurt. The Wizards managed to sqeeze in the playoffs last year with their two Allstar players done for the year.

Last year's Wizards team wasn't without flaws, but injuries grounded their season. Not an Allstar appearence or a bithday party.

If the injury bug strikes, this year's team could be in trouble too. But I do like this team's direction and there appears to be an upside. Ernie's still building this team, and given good health we could be looking at much more solid team come April.

"Ricky Davis has always been a Wizards killer" So has just about everybody who's every put on a Heat Jersey. The mental hurdle of playing the Heat will be one this team needs to tackle.

I'm not sure how Davis will mesh with other guys that need the ball in their hands to be productive. But the real keys for them are Shaq's health, and if he can get interested, and D Wade's health.

Bringing in Ricky Davis could be an addmission that Wade's going to be awhile yet. But if Shaq could roll back father time a few years, you could put 5 rec league guys out there with him and he could win half the games himself.

But trust me, father time is a relentless bastard, every year it's going to get tougher to get the deisel fired up. So I think it gets harder and harder to see the Heat at the top of the division like they once were.

Detroit and Chicago both look tough, as things look right now, LeBron is going to have to carry Cleveland on his back against to deep veteran playoff teams in the central.

Posted by: GM | October 28, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I would like to be optimistic but given how the East appears to be shaping up, it looks like Wiz will finish right around 500 and be fighting for one of the last 2-3 playoff spots.
I also see this as the last year for this group. AJ will get over-paid by someone and Gilbert is as good as gone---maybe to Miami which just freed up cap space. EJ will be fired and Jeff Van Gundy brought in for D to matter.

Posted by: wizfanatic | October 28, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

For the correct definition of bwahaha check this out.. It pretty much gives a description of 'DCMAN88'.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | October 28, 2007 10:00 AM

LOL. Thanks Anon! You've got DC 88er pegged for sure!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked there were still only 82 games in an NBA season.
You'd think the league expert would know that. But maybe he thinks they play two extra games on leap year.What a spaz!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Ivan (if you ever actually read his thing) and assorted others, enjoy the season. I'm still reasonably sure I will. I'd hoped, expected blog nonsense aside, that this might be a venue for learning a bit more about a team I began to prize while giving my new daughter her 1 AM feedings back in 1972. Rarely, that's been true, and I'm grateful for that.

After a few days in the hospital at the end of the preseason of what _could_ be an exciting season, though, I'd been looking for more. I'd hoped some folks might have seen games that most couldn't, and that the regular basketball folks -- you know who you are -- might check in with good thoughts about what Ivan had reported earlier.

I'd of course expected the usual collection of ignorable Gilby references and bwahas (and I promise you I won't be concerned about the spelling of the word). I'd even expected and was glad not to find personal attacks, etc, which The Post clearly makes no actual effort to control, despite warnings.

Where I gave up, though, was when anon1 or anonx or whomever tripped out for an _outside reference_ on correct bwah usage, and then either congratulated him/herself in the reply or elicited an actual reply from another anaonymous source.

Too confusing for an old guy, folks.

I started reading Sports before the rest of the paper during the Nixon debacle: easy to tell the good guys from the bad, etc. I've kept it up for forty years, and have needed it more than ever recently. In the same time, I've been close to the new technology, and have occasionally seen it as means to better communication.

I'm brought up cold by the following, though:

"An indication of the twattiness of the user can be discerned . . ."

Silly. Silly. Silly. Enjoy the season.

Posted by: Bill Carr | October 28, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Everyone, please don't forget that the anonymous jerkoffs on this blog are idiots and cowards, afraid to stand by their words with a name. They're probably pimply faced kids on this blog who always take contrary views to rile folks up. The fact that they always type nonbasketball related comments is indicative of their level of maturity as they whine about other people's maturity. Most of their points make no sense and are obviously anti-reality. Treat them as you would a cold sore...ignore them and hope they go away

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"But you know 88'ers right, you really shouldn't bet against LeBron. Guess he learned that one the hard way!

Posted by: GM | October 28, 2007 09:59 AM "

I never bet against Lebron. You did, as you said Cleveland "has some real problems now."

You should know about bad tradeoffs/bets, Like Lefty's indecent proposal for courtside tickets for a barn rendezvous with your yer missus. I think you got the better "end" of that bargain (pun intended) rather than Lefty.

Posted by: DC Man8 | October 28, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Last time I checked there were still only 82 games in an NBA season.

Posted by: | October 28, 2007 02:36 PM "

Whooopee! This mistake is way worse than Gilby's missed 3 consecutive free throws against Cleveland! For sure.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW. Like it or not:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, DCpunk, like you're really standing up and posting under your own name. You're just as anonymous as anyone else in this blog. Why don't you tell us your real name, big brave tough guy, and I'll bet there will be a few people whose wives or children you have insulted on this board who would like to pay you a visit.

Posted by: zinger2 | October 28, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Zing-a-ling, you are a little b#tch. People on this blog who can't stand being insulted, should instead, not insult others either. It's a two way street, just like your @nus.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I still can't get over Anderson V. seeking $10 mill. a year. What's the dude been smoking? If he's worth that much, then Duncan must be worth the combined GDP of the Big Eight (and I'm not referring to a football conference:)))

Posted by: Mitch | October 28, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Mitch,

The crazy thing about Varejao is that no other team wants him yet he's STILL holding out for that ridiculous contract.

Posted by: David | October 28, 2007 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan or Mike,

I doubt you guys read all these comments especially with all the negativity that the DC Kid writes, but is there any chance you could get some video of Nick Young and his dunks in practice? I read a piece in the post in which you wrote that Young might have a chance of getting into this years dunk contest.

Appreciate it

Posted by: David | October 28, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I'm the kid while Dorky David is writing about some stupid dunk contest that won't happen until February of next year. Yeah, this event convinced me of its legitimacy after Nate Robinson took almost 10 attempts before he got his dunk in. Get real dork.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 28, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, cuz using a snazzy name like DCMAN lets everybody know exactly who you are.

Face it, there's little difference between posting as an anon and posting as DCMAN. The only difference is that the anon posters aren't nearly as annoying.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 28, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

David Nobleza

When you're finished pretending you're a tough guy behind that computer feel free to get at me

Can't wait for your witty response!

Posted by: David | October 28, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Guess I struck a nerve there, DCpunk, and looks like you're a homophobe in addition to being the racist you've shown yourself to be in the past.

I'm not going to lower myself into your little childish sandbox by hurling expletives back at you. All I said is that you like to make a big deal about anonymous posters being less honest than you, when of course DC Man88 isn't your name either. You're a real big man insulting people's wives and children under a pseudonym.

Posted by: zinger2 | October 28, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The reality is that the preseason means little to vets, but a lot to rooks and other young players looking to make a team or crack a rotation. That's why it's hard to tell how good the starters will be from preseason. It's human nature to coast some when the games don't count.

The Wiz' bench is going to be much better than last years', I believe. Blatche alone is going to see to that. The difference in play will be large.

And with Blatche backing up Haywood, and Brendan getting enough minutes to be effective (defensively), we'll see better play from the 5, which will also make a big difference.

Gilby's in a contract year. He'll be better than ever. He might even try on D.

For those thinking Jarvis is going to have some kind of bounce-back season (or his first good season), I think you're wrong. We'll see the same kind of season he had last year: terrible shooting, a total lack of desire (or skill) to get to the basket, matador defense. The boy, nice as he is, just can't play. Trust your eyes, and what you've seen from him over the years.

Predictions: Nick Young will be the starting SG by February.

Wiz give up about 101 pts./game.

Ayers will eventually impress on players to guard shooters on perimeter, because Haywood/Blatche will effectively guard the middle/rim.

Wiz score about 105 pts./game.

Wiz win division, make it to Eastern Conference finals, where they lose to Detroit.

Wiz record: 51-31.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 28, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

David, it's not Wizards practice, but it's something.

I'm seriously tired of commenting here, because DC Man, while sometimes intriguing, is the epitome of a troll. If you're tired too, you might as well come over to Bullets Forever. I promise we're more friendly there.

Not to mention I can ban really annoying people if they keep pissing readers off, unlike the Post.

Posted by: Pradamaster | October 28, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

What is that picture of Arenas on the Post's Wizards page?? He's wearing a Red White and Blue Wizards uniform. Is that their new uniform!? Wow I hope so, it really looks great! Maybe it's the alternate uniform for this season, replacing those terrible gold ones? Man I hope so!!

Posted by: Darnell | October 28, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Pradamaster,

Appreciate the link to the dunk video. If Nick gets enough playing time before the all-star break he certainly looks like he coulf find his way into the dunk competetion. Even so, I'm hoping Rudy Gay gets an invite...he's a monster with his dunks.

And I agree with you, I too am getting tired posting here. It's a shame that the Post fails to regulate the comments section here. I'll head on over to Bullets Forever too, it looks like a pretty good forum. I'll still post on here though...I truly believe Ivan and Mike work too hard just to let some ignorant child spoil their work.

Oh, and Darnell, the jersey on the WaPo site is actually just last season's Vegas All-star jersey.

Posted by: David | October 29, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

DT take a hike. Go create your own blog.

Can't stand the heat - get outta the kitchen.

Got some nerve telling others what "NOT" to comment on or complain about" and you yourself spent half a page "COMPLAINING!!!"

Its just lively discussion with the usual from DCMan..Its obvious you can't handle it so peddle your "complaints" elsewhere.
We have enough of our own...

Posted by: BJ | October 29, 2007 1:51 AM | Report abuse

i have seen DCMan's ID and it says...

McLovin!

Posted by: greg | October 29, 2007 3:04 AM | Report abuse

52-7. The Wizards season can't start soon enough !

Posted by: mark | October 29, 2007 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Darnell, I think that's last years all-star team jersey

Posted by: Anonymous | October 29, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Keithinator, I'd agree with your assessment of the Wizards. I just have trouble predicting over 50 wins, well, because they're the Wizards.

Frankly sometimes I wish we'd just go back to the old Bullets name and just erase the whole Howard/Webber era when so much promise just went up in smoke.

Nick Young, with that 6'11 3/4" wingspan and huge hands is going to be a finisher around the rim. It would be fun to see a Wizard in the dunk contest. We haven't had alot of high flyers here over the years.

John "hot plate" Williams before he tore up a knee looked like he could be one. Ben Wallace when he was a youngster on our bench used to throw down a few. And Darwin Ham used to rock the rim from time to time.

Albert King was about two knee surgeries past being a serious dunker when he was here. And Moses Malone was just in plain too sour assed of a mode to dunk when he was here.

My nod to the All time best Bullets/Wizards dunkermaster would still have to go to Gus Johnson. Johnson was only about 6'6" but was a powerful man with huge hops before he chewed up his knees.

Back when Gus played, when a guy blew out a knee they opened the thing up, late in his career his knees looked like he had zippers all over them. But boy could throw the ball down.

He's the first guy the I can remember breaking a backboard in a game, and he didn't do it by hanging 350lbs on the rim.
Sometimes when he threw one down it seemed like he shook the whole Baltimore Civic Center.

I've often wondered if Gus's unfortunate bouts with addiction, that in the end took him, didn't stem from playing with pain through much of his career. Apparently they'd shoot his knees full of novacaine so he could bear to play later in his career. Makes me cringe just typing it.

But the guy was one of my alltime favorite NBA players and could really fly a decade before David Thompson and the Doctor started making calls.

Any other suggestions for the alltime greatest Wizards/Bullets dunker?

The rest of you guys, please just try and ignore DC Man88's Vulgar outbursts. I pretty much try to, I guess it's really wrong of me to remind him of his loss. But he keeps bringing up Gil's three missed free throws so the painful memory is always right there ready to boil over.

Posted by: GM | October 29, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, Micheal...what's this story from Sam Smith about Gil for Kobe? Please say its nothing!

Posted by: DC | October 29, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Chicago Tribune makes up so many bogus NBA trade rumors that don't even involve the Bulls its silly.

Posted by: RJ | October 29, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, ignore Etan's rebuttal, it's crap.

Posted by: Zonker | October 29, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Prediction.

The Wiz regress this year, Eddie Jordan gets fired, and Gilbert leaves.

* Gil will be Jarvis-like, and won't get himself together until he leaves DC. Everything is pyschological with Gil

Posted by: Charlie | October 29, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The Tribune seems to want to involve the Wizards in a deal everytime it seems like the Bulls are talking trade with somebody.

Last year they wanted to connect us with Zack Randolph when it was rumored to be going to Chicago before the NY deal.

Guess they're afraid that the Bulls are really considering a 4 for 1 for Kobe like ESPN is reporting. And speaking of people that sit around and make up trades, ESPN has had quite a history of reporting trade rumors that everyone ends up denying.

Since Jackson was quoted in an articale the other day questioning Kobe's commitment, would think the Lakers are getting serious about testing the waters to see if they can find any takers.

Some question if Kobe would approve a 4 for 1 deal even if the Bulls and Lakers agreed to it since he'd be afraid of being right back in the same boat he's in with the Lakers.

The Lakers are going to comand so much for Kobe he'd probably be stuck on another terrible team. I'm surprised the Knicks name hasn't come up in the Kobe rumors so far.

To pay him 22-23m a team would almost have to be willing to go into luxury cap territory to acquire him and put a playoff team around him. And the Knicks are going to be there for years anyway.

Posted by: GM | October 29, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charlie | October 29, 2007 11:41 AM

I don't see that happening, but without question everything revolves around Gil's performance. Much as I hate to admit it, DC88 has a point that the Wiz troubles last year began just prior to the injuries. If memory serves, Gil had trouble re-adjusting to the 'old' ball. It is *possible* that the 'new' ball was partially responsible for Gil's - and a few others' - performance just prior to the all-star break. Which ball are they using this year - new or old?

Posted by: reispace | October 29, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Pradamaster, can you keep people from using anonymous or posting under someone else's name over on Bullets Forever? That's been an issue here, as well. BTW, Darvin Ham has got to be the best dunker to come thru here. Hot Plate !!??? Even at his smallest he didn't exactly play above the rim.

Posted by: mark | October 29, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Etan's response to Ivan's response to Etan's criticism of Ivan and others:

Ivan, I would tell you to apologize to Etan if I could find anything in your articles that would warrant it. But how could a writer reporting on an NBA athlete's heart problems NOT reference other players' heart troubles, especially in the context of mentioning that the NBA instituted greater health screening to try to prevent such incidents?

Etan's point seems to be that Ivan's article upset his family. That might be true. But it seems Etan's family didn't read the articles carefully, and does Etan really think that Ivan needs to word his articles so that they do not upset a particular family? "Etan Thomas held out of training camp due to mild allergies?"

Posted by: Sean | October 29, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"* Not having a legit 3rd PG will be Ernie's biggest mistake, bigger than the botched DS signing.",/i>

The way people talk around here, you'd think having three PGs was the key to the NBA kingdom. How many NBA teams actually have 3 "legit" PGs? For that matter, how many have two? Many teams may have 3 PGs, but on the vast majority of them the third one is a scrub of a practice player whom the coaches pray never has to see real game action. If who fills the 3rd PG slot is "Ernie's biggest mistake" then he's having a hell of a good year.

Posted by: kalorama | October 29, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Harsh words from Etan. We seem to have a thin-skinned contest going on here. Etan - you refused to release medical details for weeks. Did you expect reporters to simply wait around and report nothing? Ivan would have been eaten alive on this blog unless he fed us something. Just accept he did the best he could under the circumstances. I can imagine the anguish your family went through, but don't lay it all on the media, or Ivan.

Ivan - do yourself a favor; don't respond publicly.

Posted by: reispace | October 29, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting that in the past couple years, whenever Etan and Haywood got into it, most fans blamed Haywood for the problems.
This Etan-Ivan thing has been pretty revealing, and changed my view of some things.

Posted by: Joe | October 29, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Etan's spat with Ivan has nothing to do with Thomas and Haywood. Their conflict arose out of Haywood's anger/jealousy over Jordan favoring Etan in the lineup. Thomas had really no reason to instigate a conflict with Haywood, since he already had the upper hand.

Posted by: kalorama | October 29, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to know how to respond to insane statements like this.

Jarvis-like? Let's see, he's a three-time all-star, and was a well-deserved all-star starter last year. He's one of the top 5 scorers in the NBA. He doesn't have a flaw offensively (I'm talking about scoring, not assists. He's fantastic going to the hoop and finishing, is terrific from the free-throw line, has great range and is the best in the league currently at buzzer-beating and game-winning shots). He's at the top of his game now.

Yeah, I can really see the parallels between Gil and Jarvis. How could I have been so blind?

Kalorama covered this. Why is everyone so concerned about 12th-13th men? Those players have almost no impact on a team.

Posted by: Keithinator | October 29, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Mark....yes. You just have to register.

Posted by: Pradamaster | October 29, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I liked how Etan complained that the Post headline "Thomas has heart ailment, irregularity could threaten career" was unfounded and irresponsible, while Antawn Jamison was quoted in that article as saying that Thomas's career was threatened ("It's tough to not know if you are going to play the game of basketball again.")

When will Etan be issuing an Open Letter to Antawn Jamison?

Posted by: David | October 29, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That jersey has a Wizard emblem on it though.

Posted by: Darnell | October 29, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Any true blue Wiz fans out there anymore? I thought this was where they congregated but based on the comments on this post, you guys seem to take great pleasure in dogging my boys out. I once heard that a blog is a place where people go to talk bad about those who are trying to do something with their lives. And from the looks of this blog, what a true statement that was. It did not use to be like that here and it was a pleasure to read some of the posts on here but now it has gotten quite vicious I am out outta here and won't be back. I am going to find a blog somewhere out there where there are fans who appreciates their home team.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 29, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm also getting tired of this blog, not because of dcman88 but all the contradicting posts. Everyone seems to be against DS yet the only thing you have on him truely is preseason. The playoffs yes he was terrible but he was asked to be Caron in the playoffs and Caron he is not. Then everyone wants JCN instead yet if you look at numbers Navarro had 2 decent games in the preseason the rest flat out SUCKED. Worse than DS games. then everyone will say " you can't use preseason games to determind how he'll play" isn't that exactly what everyone is doing with DS. DS put up great numbers during last season but the bigotry continues. The same goes with Jarvis he has done NOTHING. Just like Navarro. And by the way JCN is not a PG and never will be. He is a Juan Dixon wannabe. Dixon could atleast play the passing lanes. Also when the free agent period was going on EG said if we can't resign DS we would go after Devin Brown. why. Because even he is better than JCN. Give it up get over it JCN would not have in any way help this team. He would have hurt this team. And for everyone who will doubt this Yes I have seen him play many many times. He isn't a team player, he's a how much can I score player and thats it. He has no other game, no D he doesn't see the floor I don't even know if he realizes he has teammates. I myself am not a DS fan. But the people on here make me feel bad for him. The man comes out has a great season and everyone is against him until better is available give the man some slack.

Posted by: we need D | October 29, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I am a DS fan too and he will prove all of the haters wrong in the regular season.

Who cares if he got his job because he's Gilbert friend - that's how most Americans get GOOD jobs, anyway!!!!

Posted by: sam | October 29, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

DCMANN88 needs to get some new hobbies. Where is the kobe talk????? If this franchise wants to ever win a championship they need to trade gil for kobe.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 29, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Some positives I take from the offseason/preseason:

1. The Draft - getting our SG of the future and a scorer off the bench now with the 1st pick: Nick Young. Adding a versatile athletic defender with the 2nd pick: Dominic McGuire.

2. Defense - Bringing in Coach Ayers, improving the defensive schemes, philosophy, and team defense.

3. Retaining Andray Blatche - moving him to Center, and moving him up in the rotation as Haywood's primary backup.

4. Retaining DeShawn Stevenson - keeping our entire starting lineup together.

5. Improving our bench / building for the future - going with a youth movement of promising young players with upside (Blatche, Pecherov, McGuire, Young) inplace of the solid and steady Vets (Ruffin, Booth, Hayes).

6. Haywood - after it seemed he would not return after last season, he came in to camp in great shape and with a positive attitude. He has played well in the preseason and said all the right things as he enters the season entrenched as the starter.

7. Health - All our guys overcame their injuries (Arenas, Butler), and came in to camp in excellent condition. No one was wore out playing on the national team (Jamison). Songaila played for his country and got some good pt after missing most of last season. With the exception of Etan Thomas recovering from his heart surgery. Hopefully he will be able to return and provide an added spark to our bench down the stretch.

Posted by: Darnell | October 29, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Charlie, Just can't see Gil having a terrible year when he's planning to opt out. This year he has to prove that last year's injury will not lower his level of play.

If Gil would come out and have a poor year, the Wizards or another team wouldn't be willing to max him out. Can't see him leaving here on a subpar year, if he would have a down year it wouldn't be shocking to see him not opt out.

Reispace, I'd agree the ball change in season bothered Gil, he was one of the few guys that got the new ball early and worked with it. Alot of the guys that complained about the new ball admitted they were sent one and never worked out with it prior to camp. Haven't heard a thing about any plans to change the ball again.

Mark, big problem with Darvin as a dunker was the rest of his game didn't get him on the court to get alot of chances. That was kind of my point, you got to go back a long way to find a regular that really could throw the ball down.

I've been a Bullets/Wizards fan for 42 years, I enjoy posting here and talking about the Wizards. For those that get discouraged with all of the negative stuff. About 80% comes from one computor using a variety of different names or posting under other poster's names.

Posted by: GM | October 29, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah you're right Sam. Thats why so many people go to college, trade schools and work in jobs obtaining some type of training. They don't have a "friend" to get them a job. How ignorant are you?

You're clueless!!!!!!

Posted by: DJ | October 29, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: zinger2 | October 28, 2007 10:48 PM "

Zing-a-ling. Up yours and your wife's/mother's.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 31, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse