Arenas: "I'm out three months"

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas underwent surgery today to repair a partial tear in his left meniscus and the injury is expected to keep him out at least three months. Arenas originally tore the meniscus in the knee last April 3 and had surgery a few days later. The re-injury happened during Friday night's game at Minnesota but Arenas does not remember if it took place on a specfic play.

"Everything just started hurting after the game," Arenas said. "The pain came out of nowhere."

A statement from the doctor who perfomed the surgery: "I repaired a partial tear of Gilbert's left medial meniscus," said Dr. Marc Connell, the team physician. "In addition, he had a non-weight bearing articular surface defect in the trochlea treated by microfracture. We are optimistic that he will be able to return to action in three months."

Arenas, who has missed the last two games, underwent an MRI in Washington today. He told me that he won't be able to do any basketball related activity for at least three weeks and could be cleared to return to practice in three months.

"It's a downer because I really thought I was getting back," Arenas said. "It's a big setback but I guess I'll start all over again."

-Center Brendan Haywood will not play tonight against Charlotte (left ankle sprain). He said he may go Friday night against Golden State but just couldn't push off it well enough to go today.

By Ivan Carter |  November 21, 2007; 5:02 PM ET
Previous: Chat today at 2 p.m. | Next: Without Arenas, Wiz keep winning

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Horrors! There goes the season :(

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 5:18 PM

Wow.

Posted by: farstriker | November 21, 2007 5:23 PM

See what happens when you get put on the cover of a video game

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 5:23 PM

AAACCKK!! noooooooooooooooooooooo :(

in other news, dc man88 pops open a bottle of Korbel

Posted by: vtplp2g | November 21, 2007 5:23 PM

Is this a bad joke?

Posted by: Bart | November 21, 2007 5:24 PM

Amazing. I just finished posting that we have depth and that is good because injuries will happen and then I turn on tv and see Ivan's breaking news. This is devastating. We pleaded about the heavy minutes he was getting and I wonder if this was partially the cause. Apparently this was horrible decision-making by doctors and coaches.
How will they react tonight to this shocking news? We'll see.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 21, 2007 5:25 PM

That is ashamed for Gil in his opt out year. However, perhaps this will show Grunfeld that he needs to get a real point guard and move Gil to the wing. Have someone like Andre Miller who can really run a team and not hoist it up 25 times a game and have your team hover around .500 as a result.

Posted by: Frank | November 21, 2007 5:25 PM

Crushing. That's all I can say. I can't see this team treading water for that long without him. This really hurts. I'm borderline speechless right now.

Posted by: Aaron (DC) | November 21, 2007 5:27 PM

Oh well, it will make us a better team in the long run, as long as we can stay in the hunt until he returns

Posted by: Big Daddy | November 21, 2007 5:28 PM

Trade time: G. Arenas & E. Thomas for K. Bryant.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 5:30 PM

washington post live on comcast sportsnet is talking about gil right now... great stuff

Posted by: wapo fan | November 21, 2007 5:31 PM

wow.
three months ...

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | November 21, 2007 5:32 PM

IVAN, the way i saw gil last nite on the bench, and i was like 10 ft away, i wouldnt be surprised if he gets on his blog in an hour and writes that he is just joking about this whole thing. ivan, please make sure that this is true, and not gilbert pulling a prank on the world, cuz u know gil would do that, but it is not funny at all.

Posted by: RG | November 21, 2007 5:32 PM

Hallelujah!!!!!

As I've suspected.

I said all along last season that when Gilby said he wanted financial security, it counters the reason why why he decided to opt out. From there, I said he's not getting any security from opting out, but instead, he's assuming an extreme amount of risk because he could get hurt this year (blow out his knee) and not be the player he was early last season. Well, well, it came true.

Given all that, I think he's out for the year/season. There's no way he can come back from this injury, and surgery, and be an instant impact.

Does anyone know of a situation where a player's career/health was in jeopardy and their team decided to sign them to a long term max deal anyway? If so, please let me know where this precedence was set.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 5:33 PM

Will Gil still opt out at the end of the year now?
I don't want to hear anything about him coming back in 3 months. He had surgery in early April, and seven months later it wasn't fully healed and he reinjured it. How will it be ready in 3 months this time? I don't want to see him on the court until April the earliest, or perhaps October.

Posted by: Red | November 21, 2007 5:34 PM

Red - he already opted out of his last year.

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 5:35 PM

Crap. Will he still opt out after 2 season ending injuries? I'm saying that b/c 3 months and change of healing + plus rehab tog et back into NBA shape will more than likely keep him out the whole season. He wont get a max contract now if he opts out. Here's to hoping NY and AB fulfill some potential during this stretch.

Posted by: Andy | November 21, 2007 5:35 PM

WHO CARES... THE TEAM WILL BE BETTER OFF NOW. HISTORY SHOWS YOU CANT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH A SHOOT FIRST PASS SECOND PG WANNABE.THE BIG QUESTION FOR ME IS WHO REPLACES AGENT 00??? EARL BOYKINS??? TRADE FOR A PG OUT OF HOUSTON. RAFER ALSTON, MIKE JAMES OR STEVE FRANCIS.

Posted by: John Stockton | November 21, 2007 5:37 PM

To the last poster:
Are you a wiz fan?
Hover around .500??!!! wtf the wiz were atop the east when arenas was playing like an mvp canidate and the injury bug struck bad
Hopefully butler, jamison daniels and the young bucks will hold the fort....i loved the ball movement last night...so hopefully arenas comes back to a team that is moving the ball well, that has young guys beaming with confidence, and that has shown surprising depth...we def got the leadership skills in butler, ad, and jamison and no one can deny our increased athleticism. Harvey Grant sounds like an idiot on this washington post live show im watching as i write blah blah arenas has played his last game as a wizard, blah blah blah the wizards playoffs hopes are doomed...give me a break give the team a flippin chance before you down it...yet another sorry excuse for a an nba analyst keep your heads up GGGGGGG Wizunit

Posted by: Delasoulos | November 21, 2007 5:37 PM

this is going to mean a lot more playing time for nick young, and so far it looks like he may be able to handle it.

Posted by: patrickhenry | November 21, 2007 5:37 PM

Rook -- No he didn't. He indicated he would opt out at the end of this season.

Posted by: Red | November 21, 2007 5:40 PM

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 5:41 PM

So the second meniscus tear is supposed to heal up in only 3 months, when the first didn't heal with 4+ (April to August). Hmm, sounds like wishful thinking.

I also thought how gleeful dcman would be at the news, but tough break for the team.

Time to earn your money now for everyone left. Maybe there's some good down the road, but only if Gilbert ever comes back full strength. Definitely a shame to see him rush back, hopefully the 2nd time goes smoother.

Posted by: Brandon in PA | November 21, 2007 5:41 PM

Gilbert was an All Star so we will definitely miss him. But we have to remember, we have two other All Stars in Jamison and Butler. Plus with the new kids Blatche and Young playing well and being mentored the right way by Antonio Daniels, this team has more potential with Arenas hurt.. Sad to say that but Arenas was and will always remain a double edged sword.

Posted by: TC | November 21, 2007 5:43 PM

Someone on realgm suggested this, and I think it's correct -- Mason will have to be cut, and a PG signed.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 5:43 PM

The team will learn to be a team not a one man show without GA. No big loss.

Posted by: dissier | November 21, 2007 5:45 PM

Wow, bad news for Wiz fans. All the best to Gilbert, hope the surgery is successful and he comes back pain free and better then ever.

I'm sure EG is on the horn right now looking for another PG.

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 5:48 PM

Steve Francis!!!!!?????!?!?!?!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 5:50 PM

DC Man,

It's time for you to be banned, forever. To cheer a serious knee injury is beyond slimy and classless. You have lost all my respect, and will never regain it. Not that it bothers you.

You're scum. Go away. No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, wants you here anymore. You just cast the straw that broke the camel's back.

You. Are. Filth. Goodbye.

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 5:55 PM

This news really bites, but not nearly as much as the pathological haters who are jumping at the chance to trash GA. If the other guys can hang tough and stay in contention, he'll be back just in time for the run to the playoffs. We do still have two 20 ppg scorers and another guy, AB, who looks as if he's ready to break out.

Posted by: John Brisker | November 21, 2007 5:59 PM

Wizards have played a couple great games already without him.

Posted by: Archie | November 21, 2007 5:59 PM

There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

Posted by: Dorothy | November 21, 2007 6:01 PM

There goes my fantasy season. Get well soon, Mr. Arenas.

Posted by: N. Cheese | November 21, 2007 6:04 PM

Hallelujah!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 05:33 PM

You are a truly twisted person !!

Rook

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 6:07 PM

Who did the first surgery, and who did the second surgery? Please let us know, this is important to know, thanks.

Posted by: Wei | November 21, 2007 6:08 PM

Couldn't have said it any better, Keithinator. A true Wiz fan would be hurt by this news. Anyone celebrating it isn't a fan.
The upside is that we STILL have enough talent to get into the playoffs. We have 2 all stars and a lot of young talent as well as veterans. AB will definitely get the minutes now and with NY getting time there's no telling how good we can be by March or so. By the time he comes back, it may be enough to put us over the top. I'm not sure if AD can start and play an entire season but we may actually have to go over the cap now to get Donnell back. Mason and AD are not enough at the PG position.
We'll be fine. I'll change my projection from 55 to 45 wins but that'll be enough to get us the 5th seed.

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 6:09 PM

Please God, help Gil get better quick and make DC Man88 go away forever!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 6:10 PM

Terrible news indeed. Now the Wiz are really in trouble. Very shallow bench, even worse than last year. Eight man deep wont get you far in this league, you only play 8 men in playoffs and not in the regular season. So is Abe going to open his pocket now and sign a free agent. This is still a loong season another injury or 2 and EJ or Etan will have to suit up.

Posted by: Dave, | November 21, 2007 6:11 PM

Playoffs?!!??? Playoffs?!???!

Posted by: Jim More | November 21, 2007 6:12 PM

I don't even follow basketball but GA was the one person that interested me in the NBA. As a knee problem guy myself, I just hope he heals well, regardless of the basketball implications. I had my surgery before Mr. Arenas was born and my knee still isn't the same. I hope he does better. Riding the bike will definitely help.

Posted by: Jerry Parshall | November 21, 2007 6:13 PM

Damn sham if it's true. Get well Gilbert- but take it slow for your own sake- regardless of contracts.

However the loss the pieces are still there for a very competitive season. AB and BH are going to be doing a lot of damage with AD at the point. And AJ and CB are all stars...

Posted by: dcperspective | November 21, 2007 6:17 PM

He was quoted in the paper as saying that he needed to max out starter minutes in order to get that first win under our belt. I thought it was asinine then and definitely looks ridiculous now.
If this reinjury is not related to the increased workload, I will be the first to say I was wrong and apologize here to EJ. Til then, I'm a little bitter. If we say this coming, he should have seen it coming.

On another note, this year has been a lucky one for us. Best case scenario is that GA comes back with fresh string legs in March/April and pushes an already capable team into the playoffs on a roll.

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 6:18 PM

Mark,

I agree that we still have enough talent. I just hope Dray keeps improving, because that could be the key.

Here's what needs to happen. I think Eddie should start Haywood (5), Blatche (4), Tawn (3), Caron (2) and AD (1). That gives us scoring and defense. Sign a Boykins-type player or trade for someone like Andre Miller to shore up what will be a thinner bench. Hope that Young and McGuire grow up quick. Hope that Pech can also give meaningful minutes after his return. Hope that AD's ready for the grind; he's played somewhat sparingly the last couple seasons, but he ain't young.

I'd stay away from Donnel Taylor at all costs. Dude has the worst PG instincts I've ever seen. Ever. Not even close.

After this sinks in, we'll see how our boys do. They've done well without Gil so far; now they'll all need to do better.

Gil, you're in my prayers.

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 6:20 PM

holy crap....that sucks. Like, royally.

Posted by: yonas | November 21, 2007 6:20 PM

The TEAM plays better without Gil...although Philly is an awful team, we moved the ball well, and everyone takes shots, as opposed to waiting to see what Gil does, and then taking what's left.

So if Gil has a horrible night, normally we are done...this will make us a stronger deeper team overall.

Posted by: GR | November 21, 2007 6:21 PM

It has seemed like Gilbert's knee has not been right since the start of training camp. Some suggested then he should have been deactivated until he was really in shape to play, even if that had been a month or two. They were right. It would appear he is out for the season. The Wiz should find another point guard and shuffle the deck a bit. I hope Arenas can ome back healthy next year. The team may find a different chemistry without him in the meantime. All is not lost.

Posted by: jimbo43 | November 21, 2007 6:23 PM

do i dare say it? Curse of Les Boulez stikes again........

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 6:24 PM

Look at the bright side....we may miss the playoffs, win the first pick in the lottery and land O.J. Mayo!

Posted by: Moody | November 21, 2007 6:25 PM

oh the curse o' les Boulez....will it ever stop?! Looks like we might get GA at a discount price next year......unless he starts living at KFC like my man John "Hotplate" Williams:P

Posted by: chris | November 21, 2007 6:26 PM

Another meniscus in his left knee...that is tough. Will probably lose some of his explosiveness after this one. Mentally, he is probably done for the year. So he may not get max money, afterall. This may provide an oppty for AJ to have another allstar year...perhaps making him a little more difficult for the Wiz to sign next year. Unfortunately the rookie is not ready to play major NBA minutes...he can shoot but can not play a lick of defense. I'm afraid this is a .500 team without GA.

Posted by: oddjob | November 21, 2007 6:27 PM

If only one Anthony M. Kornheiser would write a column on this. I think it's right up his alley (for about 20+ years).

Posted by: YaakovMar | November 21, 2007 6:27 PM

Unbelievable! The whole medical staff on the team needs to be fired! He should have not played until he was 100 percent. And good job, Eddie, playing him 40+ minutes early in the season! There goes the Wizards season!

Posted by: Doug | November 21, 2007 6:29 PM

Haywood is out tonight as well.....and Chris Miller and Ronny Thompson are doing a postgame show - which means this one will be a loss.

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 6:29 PM

Who knew John Stockton was an idiot? Point of fact, there hasn't been a team with a pass first PG to win the NBA title since the last time Magic won with the Lakers. And if you think that Rafer Alston, Earl Boykins or Mike James aren't shoot first PG, I question whether or not you've actually watched an NBA game in the last five years.

Posted by: Aaron (DC) | November 21, 2007 6:29 PM

Posted by: Aaron (DC) | November 21, 2007 6:29 PM

He has BLOGGERS KNEE!
(EYE roll)

Posted by: caphcky | November 21, 2007 6:31 PM

DCMan, to answer your question, yes, Orlando have Grant Hill a max deal when he was on cruthces with a destroyed ankle.

Other than that, you are an a-hole for saying that Gil is hurt. Thats sick.

Posted by: Roman | November 21, 2007 6:34 PM

Easy to criticize the decision to play Gilbert 40 minutes a game after hearing this news, but I wasn't the only one on the alarm bell from the start of the season.

Really guys, who in their right mind would play an self-admittedly immature guy for 40 minutes a game so soon after surgery? The coach was acting again like desparate Eddie. Shameful.

I can already hear the excuses....it wasn't his fault, etc.

BTW, Blatche would have played about 3 minutes in the second half last night if Haywood didn't twist his ankle.

Good grief. Maybe they should play across the street at the Shakespeare Theatre.

Posted by: Izman | November 21, 2007 6:34 PM

Wei, Spprtsnet just reported the same doctor who performed Gil's first surgery performed this one as well.

Only 9 players dressing tonight...

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 6:36 PM

Stay away from OJ Mayo...talk about over hyped.

Give me Beasley, or Love.

For now it's time to sit back and watch what the young guys can do.

Posted by: Brandon in PA | November 21, 2007 6:36 PM

This is horrible news. And God, DCMan88 is such an ass. What a hater.

Posted by: Andy | November 21, 2007 6:37 PM

Abe is going to have to bite the cap tax bullet. Either trade for Steve Francis, who is on the bench in Houston, or sign Earl Bokins. Donnell Taylor is not the answer.

Get well Gilbert.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 21, 2007 6:37 PM

Gil and Deshawn for Kobe!

Posted by: jim | November 21, 2007 6:40 PM

The moral of this story...never be on the cover of anything! First there was the NFL Madden Curse.....now it has been extended to the NBA.

Get well soon Gil!

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 6:41 PM

BF#1, Taylor is not the answer but neither is Francis and Boykins! Do you even watch the NBA? The WNBA teams don't count...

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 6:41 PM

Last year after GA went down we lossed a ton of games (we did lose CB too, but Arenas injury hurt us more). Arenas probably wont play for the rest of the season, and next year, at least with the Wizards, is questionable. At least maybe his stock will go down because of this injury. I predict we barely get into the playoffs, but have an early exit like last year.

Posted by: jack | November 21, 2007 6:41 PM

I think I read that James Andrews did the surgery the first time. He's the best in the biz if so.
Keithinator, I think with the shallow depth at C, EJ wont start Blatche alongside BTH in case of an injury. We might have to wind up seeing the dreaded small ball with Songaila at center. That lineup you mention is a good one but we probably will go with DS starting and leave AB as the first guy off the bench. This at least guarantees that McGuire gets minutes and Pech as well when he comes back. We'll suffer some losses early on but should jell by spring

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 6:42 PM

The only thing I can say about this is that the younger players should get the playing time to develop faster than they would have. Maybe this can be a blessing in disguise.

It will be interesting to see how the Wizards will respond to the news tonight against presumable better competition than the last two games.

I am not really expecting Gil to be back this year. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong.

Posted by: Tim | November 21, 2007 6:43 PM

Dear Gilbert, I feel sad that you are not playing for the next few months. I will always think about the great things you did for the team and how happy you were when you were playing. I will miss you a lot. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: Jared | November 21, 2007 6:51 PM

"88idiot says "Hallelujah"? Not surprising considering 88 is a first class A** hole!

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 05:41 PM "

Hallelujah, and Lisa is a first class rimjobmaster. The Les BouleS players know.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 6:52 PM

aaaaackkkkk. This stinks, Godspeed Gil, you will prevail at the end of the day.

Meantime, IF management thinks this season is worth trying to save, then our 08 first round pick plus the famous Memphis pick to Philly for Andre Miller MIGHT do the job.

Alternatively in the high risk, high gain department, Steve Francis is undoubtedly obtainable and MAYBE playing in his backyard would be the home cooking he needs to resurrect his career. The Wizards offense is geared to a shoot first point guard, so this is not all that crazy a thought. It would probably only require the Memphis draft pick to bring Steve home.

For the "Young" guys, though, this could be a semi-blessing, I agree.

Posted by: khrabb | November 21, 2007 6:53 PM

"Even though Gil has his quirks he's a unique guy and a true personality in a sporting world full of buttoned-down types. I really feel for the dude.

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 05:48 PM "

Yeah, and so was Ted Kaczynski.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 6:54 PM

Oh well we can forget the playoffs!!! that's for sure....

Posted by: Sean | November 21, 2007 6:57 PM

Seeing the word "microfracture" in that surgeon's quote scares me. I'm not sure if there are varying degrees of microfracture surgery, but that's a very iffy injury to come back from (moreso than a blown ACL even). Just look at Amare and others who've had the procedure. I'm crossing my fingers that Gil will be strong and ready to go next season.

Posted by: Jamie | November 21, 2007 6:57 PM

Oh, lord; poor Gilbert! That's just awful. He really needs to rehab fully this time and make good and sure he's 100%; the team really does need him. Sigh...

Posted by: geauxwiz7281 | November 21, 2007 6:57 PM

Gilbert is fun to watch but he looses as many games as he wins because he doesnt play D and he tends to be a ball hog. I hope they are able to trade him before the end of the year so they c an get something for him. Frankly, I think this will be a better team in the long run without him. They really need a new PG and a stud big man. (Then again everyone needs a stud big man.) BH is playing solid right now but they need someone behind him.

Posted by: Dan | November 21, 2007 6:58 PM

"DC Man,

You. Are. Filth. Goodbye.

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 05:55 PM "

Keithavibrator. Go sc#w yourself. I said "Hallelujah" as a revelation that my prediction came true. I did not say I relished the fact that he got hurt, and I even said:

"I just hope Gilby rests up, gets stronger, and comes back with a team mentality. Gilby is a self centered nut, but he's human, so I don't expect him to be perfect, although I do expect him to own up to his words and respect the team and his coach. In any regard, I'm sure the team will be fine while he is out."

So, don't throw a hissy fit and stop bawling your eyes out. The team will march onward and forward.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 6:58 PM

"You are a truly twisted person !!

Rook

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 06:07 PM "

You are way too sensitive. Get over your love fest with Gilby. Pro athaletes get injured. Get over it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 6:59 PM

"I can't help but wonder how much those first 5 games at 40+ minute a game hurt him. I'm not a dr. but I suspect that if we'd eased him into it, he'd still be playing. It's been discussed on this blog already before the injury but it needs to be emphasized. EJ bears a huge part of the responsibility. I don't care if GA told him he wanted to play. The coach should look out for the future of the team and should have consulted with the doctors to make the right decision for the team....particularly for the franchise player. I think the fact that he's on a 1 year deal and feels pressure to win now led him to make a STUPID decision.

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 06:18 PM "

True, but Gilby was better off resting up the summer, not balling at Barry Farms, running with a stupid parachute, or biking around town. It's funny how people here have forgot all those much ballyhooed summer activities of Gilby that served no benefit to his knee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 7:02 PM

Sad to hear. Poor Gil.

Posted by: hcosta | November 21, 2007 7:02 PM

One of two things happened on the last surgery: Either he didn't hold up his end of the responsibility in rehab and didn't rehab it properly, OR they screwed up. I've had this surgery, and it shouldn't come back this soon. Somebody screwed up.

Posted by: masmvm | November 21, 2007 7:03 PM

where the heck is the game. have comcast in arlington. what channel is csn+

Posted by: gidge | November 21, 2007 7:04 PM

Check out Gil's blog..

Posted by: hcosta | November 21, 2007 7:06 PM

ok. channel 77.

Posted by: gidge | November 21, 2007 7:07 PM

Mason, who is listed as a point guard on Yahoo! (not saying he is, just how he is listed) probably has a guaranteed contract. The Wiz may need to wait for 10-day contract time, then get a pro-rated point to stay under the luxury tax.

Posted by: lrmc623 | November 21, 2007 7:11 PM

I am really sorry to hear about Gilbert Arenas gettting hurt again. Gilbert, please rest and heal well. I am sure everyone on this forum wishes you good health, just as we also want Etan to recover fully.

And to everyone who likes to condescend with that curse of les boules crap, it's really old and stale. The team is the Wizards whether you like it or not.

Posted by: rgz | November 21, 2007 7:11 PM

I just pee'd in my pants!!! This is terrible news. Oh, Dear Lord save our season!!!

Posted by: CEO | November 21, 2007 7:12 PM

Alright, I want to see DMac start to get significant minutes now and Young continue to develop.

It is too bad Pesh is not around right now. Our front line is getting a little thin also.

And we know AB will continue to get minutes and hopefully continue his development into a pretty good NBA player.

This is what I am rooting for. If they continue to win as many or more than they lose, this will be icing on the cake.

Posted by: Tim | November 21, 2007 7:13 PM

Where is the game? Reston, VA comcast????

Posted by: RS | November 21, 2007 7:17 PM

"One of two things happened on the last surgery: Either he didn't hold up his end of the responsibility in rehab and didn't rehab it properly, OR they screwed up."

Or neither of those things happened and he simply re-injured it.

Obviously this is a crushing blow for the Wiz. I have no doubt Daniels will be able to step up and handle the starting role reasonably well. The question is: Who backs him up? There's no one else on the roster who can even pretend to be a PG (as we saw in the Sixers game when Daniels went out and the team struggled to get the ball across the halfcourt line).

Decent backup PGs are tough to come by (exactly because of the possibility of situations like these).

The problem for Grunfeld now is that they don't have any money to pursue anyone on the FA market (even if there was someone worth pursuing). Boykins is on the market, but he's not really a PG, he's a midget streak shooter. If he's the best they can do and can be had for cheap, so be it. But I wouldn't invest any significant money into him.

They'll have a tough time trading for anyone of consequence, considering what they would likely be willing to offer. Stevenson could be expendable, but he's overpaid for what he brings and isn't likely to fetch a decent PG. And they likely aren't going to want to take on a player with a long-term deal (even if they could make a deal for one) because it would impact their ability to resign Arenas should he still decide to opt out.

Grunfeld's got his work cut out for him.

Posted by: kalorama | November 21, 2007 7:19 PM

Posted by: | November 21, 2007 06:41 PM

Whoever you are, I don't think you watch the NBA. These are suggestions for a 2nd or 3rd string point guard, not a starter.

If starter quality guards were "out there" at this time of the year, something is wrong or somebody just missed them.

What are your suggestions? Are you going to the D league to find somebody? You cannot go to Europe because those guys are locked up in contracts.

Bokins is a pure scorer who is a nice change of pace guard. He is lighting fast and has a very reliable jumper. He is not in the league because he got some bad advice and opted out of his contract that was paying him 3 million a year.

That was a dumb move because he did not realize people still are hung up on his size and they did not want to pay him that type of money for a short guy.

As for Frances, the dude can still score and he was quoted once after a game he played against Gilbert; that he would thrive in a offense like the one EJ runs.

So please don't question if I watch the NBA, because it is pretty obvious you are the one who does not know what you are talking about by writing that dumb post. The WNBA starts in the summer, don't forget to purchase your league pass.........! Oops I forgot, you are already a lifetime member, my bad I forgot. Enjoy the league youngin......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 21, 2007 7:20 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if JCN could handle the point....

Posted by: Jamie | November 21, 2007 7:24 PM

Sounds like Domi.Nick need to cowboy up and take up the slack.

Posted by: DB | November 21, 2007 7:25 PM

Wow.

Happy Thanksgiving Wizards Fans!

I hope he will be ok. I hate to hear that word "microfracture".

Posted by: Darnell | November 21, 2007 7:27 PM

Blame arenas injury on the coach and staff. Arenas Played heavy minutes too soon. Anyway, look at the bright side, we get a chance to draft Hibbert from Georgetown Then come back swinging next year.

Posted by: DeMj | November 21, 2007 7:29 PM

Mark,

Dr. James Andrews (from Birmingham, AL) did not perform Gil's surgeries. It was some local dude.

Posted by: Lisa | November 21, 2007 7:44 PM

The Sum of All Fears! The Full Catastrophe! Ok, serenity now, serenity now... We will soon know much about this team. As for the puppies some of us have been clamoring to play, the time is now. If we keep playing the right way, my sense is that we will endure this blow.

In the words of JFK.."Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

What have we, if we have no hope.

Posted by: Janitor | November 21, 2007 7:45 PM

44, 40, 39, 43, 37, 39, 36, 38

Those are not the minutes you should be giving your star player as he's recovering from knee surgery.

Eddie finally seems to realize we're a better team with the big lineup out there, but his usage of Gil is inexcusable.

Posted by: Tenzing Norgay | November 21, 2007 7:48 PM

Hey, they got in a hole early at 0-5, and after this stretch of winnable games the schedule gets brutal. EJ had no choice but to milk as many minutes as posible out of the Big 3.

Posted by: Jamie | November 21, 2007 7:53 PM

To those who think the Wizards are better off without a near-MVP guard, I really don't have much to say except, "Watch the Wizards for the next few months..." Truly, this is too silly an argument to take seriously. Aside from the fact that he wins close games, the guy flat out fills the stat sheet. No he's not a traditional PG, but gimme a break.

Regarding the insane minutes Gil has been playing, I think we ALL (including Wizards Mgt) are thinkin at this point that it was a bad idea. Gilbert shouldn't have been playing more than 20 minutes a game. While we might have supposed that should be obvious, I'm sure Gil was pressuring everyone to give him more minutes. Baaaaaad idea. Now we'll be paying for it.

I just hope we can hover around .500 or so till Gil gets back, and then hopefully go for the 7th or 8th spot. But realistically, perhaps its better for Gil to just take the rest of the season off. We won't be winning a Championship this year - lets hope Gil is full-speed next year so perhaps we can.

Posted by: sfam | November 21, 2007 8:05 PM

And again - regarding Gil's impact on the team, look at Caron Butler prior to and after his time on the Wizards. Look at Larry Hughes with the Wizards and now on Cleveland. I could go on, but to suggest Gil makes everyone around him play worse simply isn't supported by the facts.

Posted by: sfam | November 21, 2007 8:09 PM

"You are a truly twisted person !!

Rook

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 06:07 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 06:59 PM

I don't love, or hate Gilbert Arenas..

But I do think if you cheer when another human being gets hurt, you deserve to be called scum !

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 8:16 PM

Here is part of an AP article on Gil's knee surgery:

"I'm just going to sit in my sorrows again. I have three months to (be) back positive again, but right now, it's hard," Arenas said in a posting on his blog Wednesday. "I need to start thinking about longevity in my career instead of just this injury right now. Every great player has missed at least one year."

Team physician Dr. Marc Connell repaired a partial tear of the meniscus and performed microfracture surgery on a non-weight bearing bone on the side of his knee.

"It's not as bad as the injury in April, but it's tough," wrote Arenas, who will begin rehabilitation next week.

*************

Here is the link to the full article:

Posted by: Tim | November 21, 2007 8:24 PM

"I don't love, or hate Gilbert Arenas..

Posted by: Rook | November 21, 2007 08:16 PM "

When did I cheer for his injury, you piece of garbage? I said Hallelujah with regard to the fact that I was right. Maybe if I said "Eureka!" instead, then your panties wouldn't be as bunched up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 8:40 PM

Damn!

Posted by: G$ | November 21, 2007 8:58 PM

This stinks, but Keithinator your prescription at 6:20 p.m. That and the things we have been talking about when they won the last few games, moving the ball and getting everyone involved.
The growing pains with D-Mac, Pech and NY will be tough, but we have enough savvy vets to survive it and when the rooks get going, the Wizards maybe able to get on a real roll without Gilbert.
What we have seen is that with AD running offense the other two links in the Big 3 can certainly be productive.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 21, 2007 9:03 PM

This is a real shame, both for Agent Zero and for the Wizards. Let's hope they can hang on until February!

Posted by: Bill | November 21, 2007 9:07 PM

The Wiz will be all right! They'll make the playoffs, and will be back to full strength by then. I'm assuming Gilby will be back and in fine shape by mid-April.

In the meantime, the Wiz are better than the team that played the Cavs in the playoffs. Butler and Jamison are playing great. AD is a good pg. Blatche is going to be a better player than almost anyone projected. Haywood is playing better. Songaila is healthy and playing well. Nick Young will contribute; Mason and McGuire will help -- all three will be better in April. DeShawn -- I like him but the jury's still out -- if he shoots, say, 40%, I'll take it.

EG will need to get some help but I have confidence he will. This team hustles and works well together. (I think Randy Ayres brings something as a defensive coach, btw.) They will be in striking distance when Arenas returns. It's going to make for an interesting season. Go Wiz!

Posted by: 7snider7 | November 21, 2007 9:24 PM

OK, Gils out. It happens to every team. The players go back and forth. Amare, Wade, Kidd, Carter, etc. And it takes a while to get back. I agree with DCMan that Gilbert's activities over the summer seems like a strange rehabilitation and I have talked with my spouse about this ( who is, by the way, a physical therapist ). While the long minutes played in each game are questionable, that's usually the medical staff ( trainer ) and players call.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 21, 2007 9:44 PM

This is bad news for Gilbert and for the team, for sure. But there may also be a silver lining. One, the team will have to pull together and continue playing as a team without Gilbert. They've done that the past few games and it's been impressive to watch. The ball has moved better, players have been playing unselfish, and I can't help but read the slightest hint of implied digs from Brendan, Caron, even Eddie toward Gilbert when they go on about how the team is finally playing as a team and not just throwing up junk shots.

Second, Eddie is going to have to rely on the rookies more, and Nick Young's game is going to bettter as a result come playoff time. Izman was right when he noted that if it hadn't been for Brendan's ankle injury Blatche wouldn't have gotten all those minutes and been that much of a beast. The same was true for Nick last night and maybe now he'll have more playing time to develop his game at this level.

As much as everyone is all over DCMan again -- and he does say things to bring it on -- he may have been right about Gil's overdoing it on the rehab regime. And lots of people on this board were right about all those minutes Eddie was playing Gil. I know Gil wanted it, but the coach has to know when to tell a 25-year-old kid he isn't indestructible.

I still think the Wiz make the playoffs, and with Gil coming back after six months (the doctors were "optimistic" that it would be three...) he might be adding his strength to a much improved team. Let's all take a deep breath.

Posted by: Prazak | November 21, 2007 9:49 PM

We are dead

Posted by: Kevin | November 21, 2007 9:50 PM

For those of you who think Blatche got the minutes because Brendan got hurt, did you see the game!!!. Blatche was and Brendan was in the game at the same time when Brendan got hurt ( in the 4th quarter ). And since you think he got all those minutes because Brendan was hurt, he got 29 minutes in that game. He got 26 in the previous game ( ... oh wait, 29 is more than 26 ... my bad).

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 21, 2007 9:56 PM

Man, they need another PG, is Brian Chase still available?

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 21, 2007 10:03 PM

WTF did EJ call that timeout! Ridiculous.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 21, 2007 10:03 PM

It sucks, but I can't say I am surprised - Eddie with the punishing minutes, Gil probably not knowing what a knee injury means, and the way he has been playing. . .

Hopefully he can get healthy and contribute this year.

On the plus side, great effort and win against a pretty sneaky good Charlotte team. Good passing and ball movement, and hard defense at the point make a difference.

On the down side, Eddie needs to figure out a new end of the quarter, half, game play. It sucked when Gil did it, and is not improved by having Butler or AD do it. It's super weak, and we will lose games b/c of it.

Also, our backcourt is very thin now. I'm not sure that AD can carry the minutes, DeShawn is basically a journeyman, and Nick, while encouraging, is a rookie. Mason doesn't count. Big potential problem.

Also, what's the deal with Pecherov - we will need him if Brendan's gonna have chronic issues.

A final note - winning record for the first time this season baby. Some good news today, along with Caron becoming a monster.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | November 21, 2007 10:04 PM

Unfortunate news about Gilbert, wish him a full and speedy recovery. That said I think if everyone can detach a little emotionally it will be interesting to see how this team fares in his absence. Personally, I am optimistic that Daniels can thrive being the distributor to our numerous other scorers. Tonight was another testament to this as Daniels had 14pts, 8rbs, 6 ass.
Gilbert is the dominant personality but this year it has been clear that Butler is the heart of the team. I think the team is starting to take on his character, they seem tougher, more focused.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 21, 2007 10:05 PM

Only 3/5 of our starting line up available. The end of a back to back on the road against a team with a winning record in overtime.

Impressive and Resourceful! Like Neo, they're starting to believe.

Posted by: Janitor | November 21, 2007 10:07 PM

Ivan,

I am SO upset at the Wizards organization right now. Gilbert Arenas is yet another example of how they mistreat a players recovery after a serious injury. Mark Price, Hot Plate Willaims(yes I know, he liked to eat), Bernard King, Robert Pack, Pervis Ellison, Chris Webber, Tim Legler, Mitch Richmond, Rip Hamilton, and even as recent as MJ, Jerry Stackhouse, and Jarvis Hayes have all missed significant time in a Bullets/Wiz uniform and some were never the same player again.

There's actually more then this but I think you get the point.

Tell Mr. Pollin he really needs to ask himself if he's getting the right advice from his doctors. Even Jason Kidd told Gilbert to get a second opinion. Com'on now Jason Kidd?? Last time I checked he was a Nets player and he shows more concern then the team he plays for.

This is really disheartening. How can they keep screwing up like this??? This is the best player that the organization has had in over 20 years and they screw him up. If you want to write and article you do it one this one. You write in BIG PRINT how this organization keeps finding ways to screw themselves up.

Look, I'm not an athlete but as a kid I played LOTS of street ball and I have had THREE knee surgeries. Swelling just doesn't "appear" out of nowhere, even I have enough sense to get something checked if something isn't right. Not the Wizards they just tell thier players "Everything is ok, go out and play" and they screw themselves up even more.

This is utterly rediculous. The 2007-2008 season is going to be very difficult to watch, and if Gilbert comes back in three months after having "micro-fracture surgey" I'll be a monkies uncle. There's no way. As I write this the Wiz are BARELY beating a team who has two of thier young stars out for the season in Charlotte. This is Charlotte, NOT Boston, NOT Orlando...not even Detroit.

There's good players in Washington, but none of them are Gilbert Arenas.

The organization has once again found a way to let all Wizards fans down again and the result very well could be Gilbert Arenas in a different uniform next season. Jamison could could be gone also. I feel like it's April all over again. :(

And of all things that a$$ John Hollinger from ESPN is going to be right. How lame is that?

If you don't write about this I guarantee Michael Wilbon will.

This is SO utterly rediculous.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | November 21, 2007 10:10 PM

My story (as if anyone cared):
I had a meniscus tear, ACL reconstruction and microfracture done on my left knee within a span of about 5 years. My knee still hurt after all that (plus rehab) so I decided to have an ACI procedure performed at age 41. It's kind of like a cartilage implant. They take cartilage out of your shin, grow it in a dish in a lab and implant it into the lesion in your knee where the cartilage has worn down. You don't hear about active players having this done because the recovery time is 2 years.
It's the kind of thing guys do after they retire in order to be able to walk without pain. Even though I'm nowhere near the athlete that GA is, 2 years later I can almost dunk the ball again.
My point:
With all of the resources available to GA for his rehab, I have no doubt he'll be able to continue his career and be as good as new. Even if his game changes a bit, he'll be able to compensate (remember Bernard and MJ) because he's a great shooter. Every player that has microfracture says that it's the second year after it that you feel like new again. I would expect to see a good GA in 08 but the real GA in 09. Pushing him to come back this year is probably not a good idea.

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 10:18 PM

silver lining...maybe he won't expect a max contract next year because of the injury. The odds of re-signing him just went way up in our favor since no one will offer him a ton of money coming off 2 knee surgeries. We'll get a fully healthy, long-term GA. We just need to make sure he doesn't play again until next October.

Posted by: mark | November 21, 2007 10:21 PM

They've won three straight playing,believe it or not,team ball.Arenas is a terrific talent but he is indeed a shoot-first,pass-later point guard,which is not what the position is about.What did Denver do last year after trading for Allen Iverson?They picked up Steve Blake,a pass-first,shoot-later point guard,one who helps open the offense because his teammates know there's a chance they'll get the ball.A couple of years back the Wizards were swept by Miami in the playoffs.They made a nice comeback in the final game,though,when Gilbert fouled out and they had to move the ball and get the open shot.It is a team game,and that's how teams win down the stretch.

Posted by: seang | November 21, 2007 10:24 PM

Mark, if its trully about a 3 month recovery ... the wiz will probably activate him for the playoffs, much like Phoenix did with Amare.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 21, 2007 10:26 PM

as bad as it sucks that gilbert will be out 3 months, after watching a really solid win in charlotte tonight, it's worth putting it out there that this team will be in solid playoff contention when he gets back to the lineup. in the spirit gilbert's message that it's worth enjoying the ride (not just the end result), soak up tonight's team victory against the very average but inspired bobcats. caron's showing he can pick up the slack (read: he was pretty sick), blatche very good (yet again), and daniels did a really decent job of running the team. i don't want to think about what happens if AD gets injured, so i won't, but you have to give the team credit where it's due, especially in light of some sh*tty hometown referees.

Posted by: popeyejones | November 21, 2007 10:39 PM

that's mean we can sign him cheaper!! :)...well, we just need to rebuild and trade him for a low post player

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 10:42 PM

Posted by: kalorama | November 21, 2007 10:44 PM

man, i'm sure we re gonna signed earl boykins soon as a backup guard behind daniels

Posted by: Anonymous | November 21, 2007 10:52 PM

Kal - you are right - teams will make a run at him, but frankly if he misses the majority of this season with a knee injury, I'm not sure that any team would step up to give him the max. Keep in mind that not many teams have the money to do that to start with, and of those teams, where would Gil want to go?

The problem of course is that given the Wiz' history, they are likely to low ball him, which means that he may be motivated to take less than the max just b/c the wiz didn't give him proper value (particularly b/c he got injured on his watch).

I am somewhat optimistic still about the season, but end of the day, this team needs Gil to make the a big run.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | November 21, 2007 10:54 PM

It only takes one, Charles.

Posted by: kalorama | November 21, 2007 11:01 PM

Wilbon said something interesting in his article today, that's got me thinking.

By the end of last season, more than a few players around the league thought Butler was the Wizards' best player and would say so.

It would impossible to disagree that he's been their best player this year. I've always thought that a team tends to take on the personality of its best player. And although Caron doesn't have Gil's overall talent (not many players do), he's tougher, in my opinion, and plays with more seriousness. He really gets after it on defense, too. He's not a me-first player, the way Gil can be, and studies the floor more when he gets the ball, not always looking immediately to shoot. If the Wiz start playing like that, which I think they have, they'll be all right until Gil gets back.

Also, with AD running the show, ball distribution will continue to be better. The box score showed just 15 assists tonight, but it sure felt like more to me.

This doesn't mean the Wiz will be better without Gil; not by a long shot. You just don't replace one of the game's 5 best scorers, a guy whose offense opens up everything on the floor for other players. But I don't think it means the season's over, either; I think they'll make the playoffs (barring any more injuries, the return of Haywood and Pech, and a decent PG pickup), and could even do some damage there, especially if Gil can contribute even a little by that point.

Andray had another very good game, I thought. Didn't score as much as last night, but still had 12 pts. and 13 boards, but the most impressive statistic were his five blocks. The kid's gonna be good, folks. Real good. No doubt in my mind, as long as he keeps working. That's the key.

The Wiz beat a good team on the road, having absorbed a stomach punch mentally with the loss of Gil; and having Haywood out hurt a *lot*, I thought. Not because of his scoring, but his defense. When he was out, Songaila played center, and the middle was wide open; that's when Wallace and Felton did most of their damage on drives to the hoop.

And they overcame a tremendous amount of adversity, both physical (down to nine players) and mental to win, when no one would've blamed them for folding. I couldn't be prouder of my boys tonight.

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 11:03 PM

With the emergence of Haywood and Blatche, this team is still talented enough to go over .500 - especially in the east. But the margin of error is now razor-thin. Forget about competing with Boston, SA, Phoenix, etc. Still, playoffs is doable with two all-stars, and plenty of other talent - only to be crushed by Boston...

As far as Gil coming back in 3 months - I for one need much more medical info. 'Microfracture surgery' is new to me. Doesn't sound good, though. Who gets back first - Etan, or Gil?

Plus, if he never fully recovers this season, I just can't see him opting out of his last year. For what purpose? Unless he has an understanding with EG that he'll get a max contract. However, if Jamison makes all-star this year as a result of increased role/points, the scenario of him making significantly less next year may go out the window.

You have to be good AND lucky. Still Les Boulez, I'm afraid...

Posted by: reispace | November 21, 2007 11:05 PM

True, but this is a second knee injury, to the same knee. And to a player who counts on his quickness to an enormous extent. One injury to a knee is a freak occurrence; two injuries to the same knee might be a trend. No one's going to throw anywhere near max money at Gil now. Whether that helps or hurts the Wiz, I don't know; Gil is absolutely impossible to read.

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 11:06 PM

Teams take big gambles on players to win all the time, much bigger ones than signing a young three time All-Star coming off relatively minor knee surgery. Some team may or may not offer him the max, but there's no credible reason to summarily rule out that anyone will offer him the max, either in a straight up signing or a potential S&T.

Posted by: kalorama | November 21, 2007 11:21 PM

This is horrible.

One of the major bright spots for the Wiz has been Grunfeld. Name a bad move the guy has made for the Wiz. If anyone can find a point guard, he can. Now let's see if Jordan will play Young and Blatche. I think Blatche is an amazing talent who can explode as a bona fide star if he is given the playing time.

With Caron and Antwan's leadership, the Wizards will make the playoffs.

Posted by: Greg | November 21, 2007 11:24 PM

What Ray said.

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 11:24 PM

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 05:48 PM "

Yeah, and so was Ted Kaczynski.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 06:54 PM

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 11:28 PM

Any news on how/if we can get Boykins? Etan's injury exception???

Posted by: RS | November 21, 2007 11:32 PM

We need a backup PG, boys and girls. Roger Mason is a shooting guard, not a PG. And no, DT is definitely not the answer, nor is Stevie Francis. I'm not sure what's available but will leave that up to EG.

By the way, despite a great performance by Caron, if our guys continue to play at this level we will be absolutely crushed by the better teams.

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 11:34 PM

Posted by: Keithinator | November 21, 2007 11:48 PM

All of you who only thought the Wiz played defense and passed the ball better was when Gil wasn't playing sure have short memories. That 2nd Indiana game, Gil and the gang played the best defense throughout the game in EJ's tenure and the ball was passed around very well too, Gil ending up with 11 assists. It was an overall team effort to maximize their team efficiency, offensively and defensively - it didn't just start after Gil went down.

They are playing harder and trying to play better with team execution since they don't have that singular player that can break down a defense almost any time he wants, anymore.

Elite athletes that are great basketball players don't just grow on trees. They're also so good, sometimes they try to do everything on their own, especially when they're young and immature. Offensively, Gil is very much our own version of Baron Davis, hopefully less injury prone. They both have unbelievable quickness and speed to go along with size and strength for a point guard. Add incredible shooting range (especially Gil) and you have a headache on your hands as a defense. Who on the Wizards besides Gil have that many advantages over their positional counterparts? Closest guys are Caron and Blatche.

Caron is strong and pretty quick, but not really that fast compared to many guys his position or size. He can shoot the midrange shot well but his range is quite limited. Overall a very diverse and super solid player that will be consistent, but doesn't have enough advantages, talent, and skills to be an alpha dog.

Blatche has sublime skills to go along with great size. If he had major drive and personality for it, he potentially could be an alpha dog but right now is too green.

Posted by: Takin' a Wiz | November 22, 2007 12:09 AM

DC WorthlessAss88 is the scum of the earth.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 22, 2007 1:11 AM

"Even though Gil has his quirks he's a unique guy and a true personality

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 05:48 PM "

Yeah, and so was Ted Kaczynski.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 06:54 PM

DC Scum 88, you are the lowest piece of filth on planet earth.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 22, 2007 1:26 AM

"

DC WorthlessAss88 is the scum of the earth.

Posted by: | November 22, 2007 01:11 AM

"Even though Gil has his quirks he's a unique guy and a true personality

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 05:48 PM "

Yeah, and so was Ted Kaczynski.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 21, 2007 06:54 PM

DC Scum 88, you are the lowest piece of filth on planet earth.

Posted by: | November 22, 2007 01:26 AM "

I'm right down there with you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Call me whatever you want, but it won't bring back your precious Gilby anytime soon.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 22, 2007 1:45 AM

"The current cast of Wiz w/o Gil playing great team ball can be very good and competitive against good and even very good teams. But against the top teams, you need an ace or two up your sleeve to compete, since all other top teams have one or two of their own. Think about all the great teams and their top players, at least one bring something so good others around league are distant seconds. Typically, it's 1. Size, 2. Speed, 3. Skills, 4. Athleticism, 5. Jumping, 6. Scoring, 7. Passing, etc... any combinations of the above.

Posted by: Takin' a Wiz | November 22, 2007 12:09 AM "

My Les BouleS did a heckuva job tonight against a game Charlotte Bobcats, especially since we were missing our big man, BTH.

Just in case you haven't noticed, we do have two aces, Caron and AJ, with AB coming on strong.

And, to no one's surprise, DS resorted back to his mediocre self.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 22, 2007 1:52 AM

"Uh, there's every reason to believe that. Do you really think teams aren't going to be gun-shy about blowing all their cap room on a guy who misses almost all of a season to a knee injury, when it's the same knee that knocked him out before? Absolutely, positively no way."

Sorry, but no. It may be that there won't be as many suitors as there would have been otherwise, but the idea that every team in the NBA will turn their backs is not very likely.

If it was an ACL tear or a major bone break, maybe. But this is a relatively minor thing. Also, it's not like he's going to be out the entire season. If he comes back on schedule in three months and plays well down the stretch and in the playoffs, the knee won't be a significant issue at all.

Injuries are simply part of an athlete's life and, in the overall scheme, this one (assuming it turns out not to be any more serious than reported) likely isn't a big enough deterrent to completely sink his market value.

Posted by: kalorama | November 22, 2007 2:02 AM

Les NBA is a business. You don't pay someone max money based on their highlight reel from 2 seasons ago. Any NBA team out there would be dumb to offer max money, even if Gilby was healthy, and now with the injury and uncertainty on top of that?

Wishful thinking at best.

As I said before, there are few to none examples out there of a player who got max money coming off two injuries in a row to the same knee.

And, many report that it takes 12 months to 18 months for someone to fully recover from a knee injury/surgery. That would take Gilby into next season's playoffs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 22, 2007 2:38 AM

"If Kaczynski could play PG, I'd sign him up. But then, I heard he has a tendency to "mail it in."

Posted by: Mitch | November 21, 2007 11:28 PM "

Good one!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 22, 2007 2:50 AM

"He'll still opt out and teams will still makes runs to sign him to a big deal. On the continuum of knee injuries an athlete can suffer, a torn meniscus is not in the career-threatening category.

Posted by: kalorama | November 21, 2007 10:44 PM "

In case you didn't read, Gilby not only had his meniscus repaired, but also microfracture surgery. That takes a LONG time to heal, and it's very iffy if the player will return at their previous level.

Both Kenyon Martin and Amare Stoudamire had this surgery, and they were gone for a long time. In fact, Amare came back too soon, and had to go back.

Gilby went out in April, came back in Nov, and still had problems. That's 5-6 months. You add 6 months from today and that's easily into May. I don't see Gilby coming back this season, and if he does, definitely not at full strength.

I wonder when we'll see Gilby running around town with his parachute and biking around town. Maybe he'll combine the two and bike with his parachute on, like a hot rodder.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 22, 2007 2:56 AM

I can't help but think -- at what point is the Wizards organization blamed for this? When is criticism directed at the team doctors? Gil blamed Jordan at the end of last season. We all remember the Jarvis Hayes situation. Now Gil is operated on the same knee for the same thing a second time? What are the ramifications here?

Posted by: Jim | November 22, 2007 7:38 AM

"On the continuum of knee injuries an athlete can suffer, a torn meniscus is not in the career-threatening category."

True. It's the trochlear defect that I worry about. It's a lesion on his cartilage where the cartilage has worn away from the bone on the trochlea (groove in the femur where the patella sits). It's the same issue I had and it explains why Chris Webber can't jump any more. Oden also was found to have a lesion. The size of the lesion is what determines how successful microfracture will be. Let's hope it's a small lesion (

Posted by: mark | November 22, 2007 7:59 AM

Get better soon Gilbert, but take time to recover. (Yes, they played him way too many minutes - they should have waited until he was 100percent, or have/get better medical advisors)??

Posted by: Anonymous | November 22, 2007 11:31 AM

For the folks who missed the game last night, next time check the other Comcast channels. I have Dish, so I checked from 424 (which had the Caps game) up, found it on 452. The ALT Comcast channel will normally not be broadcasting anything until game time.

Posted by: rgz | November 22, 2007 12:15 PM

Gil's injury will decide the fate of the Wizards for the next five years. We he recover fully? Will we give him long-term max only to see his injuries become chronic and have him tear down the franchise/destroy cap flexibility like Allan Houston did in NY? Will our team gel better without him and will the Wiz move on? Will Gil finally stop being so immature now that his career is in jeopardy, become less of a ball hog, play better defense and finally assume responsibility as a leader? In other words, could he even be a BETTER, more complete player after this injury?

Personally, I love Gil. As a long-suffering fan, he, more than anyone, made the team playoff caliber and fun to watch again. But I've always wondered, despite his scoring heroics, whether the team could ever be a championship team with him. Teams that respect the salary cap, as the Wiz do, can only afford to give the Max to a single player, and signing him to a long-term deal would make him OUR GUY. If you compare him to other championship leaders over the years, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, The Dream, etc, who fill up more stats than just score - who lead, rebound, assist, make other players better, accept a team concept - he falls well short. This injury is do or die for the Wiz and for Gil. Let's pray for the best outcome for both.

Posted by: Moe | November 23, 2007 2:50 PM

Personally, I love Gil. As a long-suffering fan, he, more than anyone, made the team playoff caliber and fun to watch again. But I've always wondered, despite his scoring heroics, whether the team could ever be a championship team with him. Teams that respect the salary cap, as the Wiz do, can only afford to give the Max to a single player, and signing him to a long-term deal would make him OUR GUY. If you compare him to other championship leaders over the years, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, The Dream, etc, who fill up more stats than just score - who lead, rebound, assist, make other players better, accept a team concept - he falls short. This injury is do or die for the Wiz and for Gil. Let's pray for the best outcome for both.

Posted by: glaytham | November 23, 2007 2:51 PM

I'm not a Wizards fan but a student of the game. Any impartial observer can check the FACTS, which are: Eddie Jordan has a losing record (by a LOT)and therefore, is a loser and Gil Arenas has never, ever won anything. Think with your head people.

Posted by: Fred | November 23, 2007 3:15 PM