Celtics Have Potential . . . To Disappoint

I'm really excited about the official debut of the Boston Celtics' newly assembled Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce tonight at TD Banknorth Garden. The anticipation is like getting ready to tear off the packaging of a new toy on your birthday.

The Big Three, A Big Bust?

I've written it before, but having a relevant team in Boston, New York, Philadelphia or Los Angeles is great for the league and great for business. If one or more of those teams is successful, it helps draw in casual fans and invigorates some loyal fan bases.

You cannot escape the excitement surrounding the Celtics. Nearly every national sports publication put them - or rather Garnett, Allen and Pierce - on their covers and some experts have even picked the Celtics to win the East.

My predictions didn't get in the newspaper but here they are: Detroit over Boston in the Eastern Conference Finals. Phoenix over Dallas in the Western Conference Finals. Phoenix wins the title (I took into consideration that San Antonio has never repeated and doesn't get past the second round in even numbered years, but I picked Phoenix more with my heart than my head).

But anyway, back to the Celtics. My excitement about seeing them against the Wizards is more out of curiosity than anything else. You don't often see two all-stars join the same team in the summer. But Danny Ainge did the unthinkable, by finally getting Garnett out of Minnesota, only after he plucked Allen out of Seattle.

Folks in Boston are already preparing to add another championship to a town that already has the World Series champion Red Sox and the New England Patriots, who look like they'll win the Super Bowl - and go undefeated. The more I think about Celtics, though, the more I think they have a greater potential to disappoint than raise Banner 17.

I have them going to the conference finals, mostly because I've been blinded by the talents of those three players. Also, the last time Garnettt was surrounded by two players this talented (Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell) he won the league's most valuable player award, the Timberwolves won 58 games and came within a Cassell hip injury of going to the NBA Finals.

I've said in radio interviews that Pierce and Allen are more talented, but I often forget that Cassell won two championships in Houston - so he knows how to win - and Sprewell had been to the NBA Finals and once was named first team All-NBA. Pierce and Allen have never been to the NBA Finals or been better than second-team all-NBA. But they are on the tail end of their prime years, while Cassell and Sprewell were already in their mid-30s when they teamed with Garnett.

The problem I see with the Celtics goes beyond the obvious doubts about their inexperienced point guard Rajon Rondo and their lack of depth (because if one of those top three guys gets hurt and has to miss a lot of games, it could get ugly).

My problem with the Celtics, honestly, begins with the Big Three.

I don't think chemistry will be too much of a problem because I've seen the three of them together and they seem to genuinely like each other. Garnett is also an unselfish star who is willing to share and sacrifice his offense to get everyone else involved. He also has known his new teammates for years. He played with Pierce on an AAU team that won a tournament in Las Vegas and was familiar with Allen since their high school days in South Carolina. They have also spent a good amount of time getting to know each other better over the past few months - especially as the Celtics held training camp in Rome and London.

So what's the dilemma? None of them is a proven winner. For all of his Hall of Fame caliber statistics, Garnett has missed the playoffs three years in a row. Allen has been to the playoffs once in the past six seasons and Pierce has been to the playoffs once in the past four seasons. Granted, they had to carry some lowsy supporting casts, but think about it: one statistic that gets overlooked is that as the leaders of their respective teams last season, Garnett, Allen and Pierce won 32, 31 and 24 games.

Keep ya heads up fellas. You haven't played a real game yet.

That may be what motivates them this year, but it also makes you wonder how three players who have missed the playoffs in each of the past two seasons can come together and win a title.

Also, which star will emerge as the true leader? Who will be the alpha dog in this trio? Who will be the guy who is willing to take the shot in the clutch and take the heat if he misses.

It might be cute now that these guys have been doing all of these interviews together, how they've taken all of these pictures with each other and how Garnett has done everything in his power not to slight Pierce, who was the primary building block of this extreme offseason makeover. That's fine and dandy, but somebody has to be the guy.

You can look back at the other Big Threes that won NBA championships in the past 25 years, and there was no question that Larry Bird was the leader of the Celtics; Tim Duncan was the leader of the Spurs. Garnett is the best and most decorated player, so you would assume that he takes that role, but Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor criticized him for not being the sort of dynamic leader who can galvanize his teammates and impose his will on the game. Allen and Pierce don't have those qualities either.

In the preseason, they were unselfish to a fault, but as the season goes on, they will have to step on each other's toes from time to time. It will be interesting to see what happens when they lose three or four in a row and someone has to be the calming influence - or get in somebody else's face. "Kevin's a passionate guy, and Paul's passionate," Allen said, "but they're also stubborn. They're also ornery, and I'm the same way."

We'll see what happens when they have to get ornery with each other. This could really be a legacy-building season for all of them. So far, all that they have done individually is put up big numbers, hit some big shots, make some all-star appearances and do a few commercials. Ray has even starred in a movie.

All three of them have said all of the right things about winning the ring being all that matters, but it's easy to talk about a championship. They've been around long enough to know how hard it is. They finally have help. They are not alone. But they have to learn how to win, as individuals and a unit. Since championship teams are rarely built in the offseason (although Miami came close in 2006), you have to assume that these guys will have to take a few lumps together.

My other concern is with Coach Doc Rivers. Personally, I like Doc. I'm glad that he finally has a talented team to coach for once. He's a great guy to talk to. He can really fill a notebook.

When I talked to him in September, he said that he is happy to finally be in a situation where there are expectations - he doesn't feel pressure, because "pressure is just a word," he said. But Rivers has to prove that he can win in the playoffs. He has yet to lead a team out of the first round, losing three times as coach of the Orlando Magic (including in 2003, when it blew a 3-1 lead against the Pistons) and once with the Celtics, when they were the third seed and lost to the sixth-seeded Indiana Pacers in seven games in 2005.

Once again, Rivers has never led a team this talented before, so he will really get a chance to prove what what kind of coach he is. But since he has never been in this position before - and neither have his players, with the exception of James Posey - it's hard to anoint this team just yet.

Yes, I think they can go far in a wide open East. I just don't see them getting out of the East. And, I'm not saying there is no chance the Celtics win the championship. I just think that the folks in Boston shouldn't start planning that parade in June just yet.

By Michael Lee  |  November 2, 2007; 8:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thoughts on Durant and Denver
Next: Live from Boston

Comments

Doc Rivers is a huge question mark. It's been underreported, but he's been extremely mediocre as a head coach in this league.

Right now the Celtics have great players but no identity or a unique style of play. It will take them at least two seasons for them to contend for a Finals berth.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | November 2, 2007 4:54 AM | Report abuse

If we develop our bench and solidify our rotation, there are very few teams that can match up with us and that includes the Celtics. The Big 3's are closely matched. Our 4-8 are more talented than Boston's. We just have to get them regular minutes. Unfortunately, I think Doc and EJ are even as far as game strategists go. That's not saying a lot because they're both below averege. I'll give EJ the benefit of the doubt because this is the first year he's has real talent on the bench but he needs to show us something. Stop living in the 70's and 80's when rookies deferred to vets and had to wait their turn. I have to think that a rested BIG 3 in the fourth qusrter is better than a tired Boston Big 3 in the 4th. Those few minutes of rest could be the difference between lackluster D and good D. Use the force, Luke. Use the bench, Eddie.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 7:33 AM | Report abuse

In regard to my preference for the Wiz to run and concentrate on Offense, here's why I say what I say...Here are some stats from the Suns game last night to chew on. I'd like to hear what you all think about this. The Suns were outrebounded by Seattle 50-44. The committed more turnovers 19-18. They shot 64% from the FT line. They shot 33% from 3 point range. They won the game ! They won because they took 33 three point shots. Everyone that got into the game attempted at least one three point shot for Phoenix. I watched that game and Seattle was getting high percentage shots early on. They wound up at 41% for the game because they got worn out trying to keep pace. The Suns have guys that spot up on the three point line and the spacing that it creates allows Nash to weave in and out and create for himself and others. People know that if you leave someone open, Nash will find them and they'll jack up a three. That's why their half court offense sometimes looks like everyone else's fast break.

Now, I'm not saying Gil is Nash and will create the same shots that he does. On the other hand, though, Nash will never score like GA. If we chose to go the Suns route and run, who could stop the good athletes we have on this team? GA, Caron, Jamison, Stevenson, Blatche, McGuire, Nick Young ? Stevenson would be more effective. Even Roger Mason with his three point threat would be more effective. AD is a better player running (and falling). We see that every time he gets in the game and pushes the ball. Pech could spot up and shoot threes. The only guy I see losing effectiveness is BTH because he'd get tired. In that offense, though, Songaila could even play center.

Understand that I'm not advocating saying 'uncle' to defense just because I don't like D. I'm saying that THIS TEAM is better suited to running and wearing people down. If we use our bench properly, we should go into 4th quarters with fresh starter legs and a tired opponent. Not even Boston could hang with us.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 7:48 AM | Report abuse

In related news, Jarvis Hayes was 3-9. That's the guy we know and love.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Uh, you think Doc Rivers could have led the Wizards to 3 straight playoff berths? I don't think so.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | November 2, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Uncle. Doc is really bad. EJ is not bad, actually. I just don't like his rotations.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

The same can easily be said about Les BouleS "big 3." Case in point the first game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"In related news, Jarvis Hayes was 3-9. That's the guy we know and love.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 08:00 AM "

Markie Mark,

Check the stats. Jarvis had a decent game.

10 pts, 5 boards, 4 steals, in 27 minutes. A decent outing, and the MOST important thing, they WON!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Two of the best guards in the NBA last night:

Nash, 18 pts, 12 assists, 7 rebs
Deron, 18 pts, 13 assists

As you may well note, AK-47, 1-5 shots, 5 pts, 6 rebs, in 38 minutes. I can't see Utah keeping him at that $$$ for that output! Also, how in the world can Boozer, a PF/C, get 25 shots in a game?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Keep the Celts running. They'll fade faster than your oldest T.

Posted by: joe c | November 2, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Mark, In hockey some guys advocate that you have to throw the puck at the net. In other words, you have to take shots to score. Putting up more shots also creates more deflections which can cause easy slap ins.

The Celtics and Lakers followed this model for years in basketball. Missed shots create offensive rebounds. You pound the boards for putbacks and easy baskets against a scattered defense. Don't give a team time to set their defense and always run.

Running isn't just a 2 on 1, or 3 on 2 break. Look for 5 on 4's get your center down the court and get the rebounding advantage.

I'd really like to see Jordan adopt a substition pattern at the PF and center to mirror the Bird Celtics. Get Blatche off the bench early for Jamison or Haywood depending on the matchup. Rotate the three players often to keep them fresh and pounding the boards and utilize the long arms and quickness that we have.

Pecherov will give us another guy to use in that rotation to keep pounding the boards. Songalia is another tough guy on the boards that really give us a good pick and roll guy on the second unit with Daniels.

But a team can run and play D as well. I really think that we are a little better at D when we pressure the ball and trap and gamble with our guards a little more.

I never predicted 50 wins for this team, 50 could be real tough in the east this year. There might be a whole batch of teams fighting it out at 49-44 games. There might only be a few games difference between homecourt and battling for 7th or 8th seed.

I also never had Indiania marked down as an easy win, O'Brien will get that team playing tough hardnosed Basketball. Coming out of college Dunleavy needed a good dose of humility, and boy has he gotten it. I'd look for him to end up being a productive NBA player now that people aren't pegging him for sure stardom.

I really won't be surprised to see J. O'Neal to LA rumors start up again. I'd agree LA fished the trade waters with Kobe and didn't get any nice bites. That may satisify Kobe that they tried.

Now the two sides might make another try at getting him some help. Of the big names out there O'Neal is the most likely to not hit it off with his new coach. O'Brien doesn't have a rep for cuddling stars. I'd say Larry Bird when had made up his mind to hire him that he knew J. O'Neal's days might be numbered.

Posted by: GM | November 2, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I watched Arvis last night. His shooting was off again. Can't say I was surprised.

I would say that EJ is one of the best offensive coaches in the NBA. He'd be a top assistant on any team. But as a head coach, he's pretty bad, and that's a direct result of two things: poor player rotations and poor grasp of basic defensive competencies. Is he better than Doc, though? I would say yes. I also think he's better than Mike Brown; although, Brown did take his sorry team to the Finals.

Mike, I enjoyed your piece here. You raised some strong points and some things to consider. I'm simply not sold on the Celtics for a few reasons, two of which are obviously their shakey PG situation and their shallow, shallow bench. But also because of their center situation. I see KG having to play a lot of center if Kendrick Perkins doesn't work out down low, and we know that KG has no interest in playing center. How will that affect the team, I wonder?

And I also wonder why the Celtics get so much hype because of their big three players, why they get picked to win the East, why they get so much pub, while the Wizards, with a big three of their own, continue to be overlooked and forgotten and predicted to finish out of the playoff picture.

Posted by: Colin | November 2, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Did you guys see Hays' shot that was blocked by Haslem? I've never seen Haslem gone up that high! He must have seen Hayes and thought he was still wtih the Wizards!

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 2, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Nice post by Mike Lee. I am definitely not on the Celtics bandwagon.

Posted by: Smith | November 2, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how some people here are still on Jarvis's case. The funnier thing is his team won, which matters more than any stat about FG's, FT, blocks, etc.

And, by seeing the box score though, he clearly made a contribution (2-5 from 3 = 40%) not only from points, but also 5 boards, and 4 steals.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

First off, if we receive a trade offer of Kobe for Arenas and Blatche I would jump all over it. I don't think that offer is coming but I would be willing to trade a point guard who doesn't pass, shoots 25 shots a game, makes 40% of them, and lastly never has a thought of defending anyone. Again nice guy and amusing but business is business and there is no way we are not a better team after that trade. Blatche has potential but I don't see the next Kevin Garnett or Magic as some of the posters on here seem to believe.

For tonight, expect a better outing as the Wizards do play to their competition. Hopefully the starters do not play 40 min with the exception of Haywood who I hope gets to play more than 25 min. Looking for Butler to break out tonight.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 2, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Dude, I think you need to get a life. Go like someone else.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 09:06 AM

wow...says the guy that doesnt even like the "les boules" yet is on their nuts and their blog 24/7..."bwwaahahahahaha"

Posted by: jjmat84 | November 2, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe its good for the league if the Commisioner didnt have a stick up his backside

Posted by: Stern_hater | November 2, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Jarvis had a pretty good all-around game, despite his shooting woes (and it's not like anyone else on the Pistons, aside from Prince, was lighting it up). He appears to be a good fit for Detroit.

Posted by: kalorama | November 2, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

GM, I'm thinking exactly that. I'd like to see us get out on the break more. During the Suns game last night, they actually scored on a dunk with 21 seconds left on the shot clock AFTER a made basket. So they got the ball, threw it in, passed downcourt and scored in 3 seconds. Watching the game, it was almost com,ical how Seattle was trying to match the Suns pace. It was almost like they were forced to run with them. I think we have the talent to do the same thing but we're probably even deeper then Phoenix.

Posted by: mark | November 2, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Mark,

That's good idea, but the problem is that the Wizards aren't the Suns. The depth you talk about is all potential right now. After you get past the starting 5, AD and Songaila, everyone else is a question mark.

The bigger issues for the Wizards running a Suns style attack is that they don't have (A) the overall athleticism as a team that the Suns have, (B) the number of shooters the suns have and (C) Steve Nash (or anyone like him).

I agree that they could benefit by opening up the offense more in places and getting more run outs, but they can't push it to the extreme Phoenix does (or anywhere close) because they don't have the tools. They need to find some kind of halfway point. Improve the defense just enough (without trying to move in a direction they aren't really suited for) and maximize what their offensive weapons can do.

Posted by: kalorama | November 2, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Potential to Dissapoint? It's probably the wrong title. The Celtics probably won't win the NBA title this year. But look at what they were last season 2nd worst in the league. Prior to the trades, No really bright future except marginal improvement like the typical bottom of the league team.

The moves they made this summer puts them as a relevant team and a playoff contender. It will be exciting to watch them. How could anyone be dissapointed with that given the past several years with that team? Anyone expecting instant championship is probably a casual fan or not really an knowledgeable reporter for basketball.

There are questions as to how far they can go, but it is nice to see KG have decent teammates for once.

Posted by: Allen | November 2, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Wilbon's peice about a Arenas/Kobe trade today was very interesting. Guess we won't be getting any quotes from the articale cut and pasted here by the resident Arenas hater.

Posted by: GM | November 2, 2007 10:14 AM "

The point Wilbon was making, basketball-wise, was that trading Gilby for Kobe would be a mistake because of the rest of the players that would have to come along to make it attractive to the Lakers, not just a trade of Gilby for Kobe. If it was just a straight up trade, same dollars, one person for another, it'd be a no brainer, but Gilby is nowhere near Kobe's level, so the Lakers would be on the extreme losing end of that deal if it was done.

Gilby, if he loves DC, should quit with the "opt out" BS and just commit to DC, but he won't. So all you die hard fans out there for Gilby, be prepared to be left at the altar.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Michael Lee has the title right because of all the expectations heaped on them. My biggest hope for tonight . . . that we don't see Jamison at 4 and Songaila at 5 down the stretch again. And maybe just maybe we will see some offense-defense substitutions.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 2, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Quotes from Gilbert Arenas after the Indiana loss:

"I never doubt myself,'' he said. "I did it again, but it wasn't enough to bring us to victory.''

"It's not the end of the world. They're a good ballclub.''

Gilbert obviously satisified with the highlight reel 3 pointer at the buzzer. He did it again alright, shot a poor percentage and got eaten alive defensively and failed to be a leader. But the quest for the max money opt out is well positioned with the 34 points and ESPN clip. What else are we supposed to be concerned about?

Also, nice that Gil didn't even bother to hold himself accountable but rather had the nerve to say that Indiana is good ballclub. Right, I guess we should give up all hope for tonight since we are playing a team with players we have actually heard of before.

As far as this team running more and being the east coast Suns....ROFL. You see, the Suns have what's called a point guard. The point guard distributes the ball to other players on the team, thus enabling multiple players to participate in the offense. Yeah....we don't have that.

I love this team and really am just distraught that there is no sign of this team maturing over the past year. That comes down to your coach and the team leader (not captains) who must, by example, demonstrate a commitment to do the hard things which are needed to be an elite team in this league.

At this point I would rather have Miles from summer league running the point than Gil. Uggg....it's all so painful.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 2, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Colin

When I watched the Celtics the other night their center had 10 points before the 1st quarter was over. He is loving it. Just be the recipient of KG's passes and get rebounds. They will be good as long as they are healthy but with no bench and an inexperienced point guard they will make the playoffs but can get beat by the Bulls or Pistons, maybe even the Wiz or Lebron as well. They need more depth and a star PG. With that i give them a better chance at the finals barring injury, so next year may be their best chance.

Posted by: gdavis4 | November 2, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Folks, you need to get over the fact that another former Bullet/Wizard has moved on and PROGRESSED & improved his game. They are actually successful. Its life. There are now losts of them now - all better for having left. Arenas will be gone soon too.

George, I too am hoping things work out for KG and Pierce. Each played on less than D League teams..for years while their skills and confidence evaporated unconsciously. Both are great unselfish players. Not heard of too often now. Everybody wants a shoe deal, Video, Blog and covers of anything in print and looking for the press and media.

Both have been persons of character and quality performance to my knowledge.

RE: Andre Blatche. I hope he gets to guard his hero & mentor again..KG. He did one heck of a job on him last time. It unnerved KG. He couldn't comment.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Strangelove

When Gilbert is gone and the wiz are back to winning 22 games a season will you be happier then? Seems we DC fans are like yankees fans, anything less than championships is failure. Funny thing is the yankees fans are that way because the yankees won three in a row. Why are DC sports fans that way? We have had one professional sports team win championships here since the 91 skins and we pay that team more attention win they loose than when they won the championships. (see DC United). When did we become such demanding fans that we trash the current wizards team? This is the only team in over 20 years that have given us anything to hope and cheer for regarding consistant winning. Now we trash the players and coach. Maybe we can get rid of EJ and hire Jim Lyman back.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang, big game tonight. Here are the questions in no particular order...

1/ Will we adjust to Garnett killing Jamison with Songalia (no, no, no) or with Blatche and MacGuire?

2/ Will Jordan shorten the bench or realize that we played an overtime game and this is their opener?

3/ Will adjustments be made so that they don't drive the lane and dish out to Allen and Pierce all night. (Is Tinsley that much better than Rondo?)

4/ Will they ( meaning Gilbert)come out focused or with deer in headlights due to the ESPN cameras?

5/ Will Gilbert seek to play team ball and include others or will he seek to score 60? (He may need to shift into a scoring 60 mode to win but he should not go into the game with that as a goal.)

I think it will be another close one. Not sure if we can get one up there though. Still think we are a better team than they are. Should be an interesting evening!

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 2, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Anon,
I have followed this team since 1980 and agree that the present issues are a far better problem set than those from the past. This is easily the highest talent level on a Bullets/Wizards team I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

That said, it becomes agonizing to see all of the talent, understand the potential and feel is not going to be realized. I am happy we are a winning team these past few years but I would like to see us advance to the next level. The team gets a pass last year due to injuries but I really expected them to come out with a lot of fire to release that frustration. When I see quotes from Gilbert like those I posted previously I am left with the feeling that I care more than he does. I am looking for the team to develop an attitude where no loss is acceptable.

Do I wish to go back to the Jeff Malone, Kenny Green, Manute Bol & Bugsy days? Hell no...but I also don't want to accept where we are now and don't believe the players should either. I need to believe they are "All in" before I will even discuss "Ready to Rule".

Again, sorry for all of the criticism but it really is because I have an obsession with this team. Take care.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 2, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Strangelove ... this is the perfect place to let out your frustrations. What are blogs for anyway.

I love/hate this team too. Sometimes they make me want to kick out the TV screen or throw something at them at the games ( of course I can't do that or I might loose my seat).

I would like to see more of Blatche tonight. I'm not a Haywood fan, but I was very excited with his play in the first half of the Indiana game. Only thing, he sort of faded away in the second half, which is why he only logged 27 minutes. Haywood had 9 rebounds by halftime. He finished with 11 ( started the 3rd period, and the overtime!).

The wiz were in perfect position to win that game, inspite of the lack of defense in the 2nd half. But poor shooting, poor free throw shooting ( didn't we hire a shooting coach? Has he confused everyone?) and poor judgement on shot selection during overtime doomed the wiz.

Hope they learned from their mistakes in time for tonights game.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 2, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

First, everyone needs to stop the Kobe BS and the JCN BS.Neither will be in a wizards uni this year get the F**k over it for gods sake. Comcentrate on the team at hand. We have a very talented team. And of course no one thinks Blatche is much. Yet he can't buy a damn minute. He is 21 and signed for 5 yrs at less than 3mil. Hell he would be a senior in college this year so for everyone who thinks he's a bust well you know what you can go do. Give the kid a chance. And EJ same to you give the kid a chance. They better use him tonight on KG cause he's the only one we have with any shot at defense on KG. But I'm sure EJ won't. He'll play the 3 for 40+ and thats about it. Help us coaching Gods!!!

Posted by: the truth | November 2, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Strangelove, you mean Mugsy

Posted by: the truth | November 2, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"

Dr. Strangelove

Posted by: | November 2, 2007 01:43 PM "

Winning games is great in the regular season, but if you can't do a darn thing during the playoffs, and have regressed the past 3 seasons, then what? Continue to stick to status quo because you get your jollies form seeing someone score 30 pts even though the team is disjointed and loses anyway?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Allen makes an excellent point..The Detroit Pistons "WON" last nite. Thats all that counts. The fact that Jarvis played descent mins & contributed to that win is sufficient.

Posted by: | November 2, 2007 01:39 PM "

Unfortunately for many, it was I who made this point, and first.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

""It's not the end of the world. They're a good ballclub.''"

Gilby is an idiot. Indiana a "good ballclub?" This was a lottery team last year, and was missing their franchise player, another big man in Troy Murphy, and Jeff Fisher for most of the 4th quarter.

What Gilby should be saying, instead of giving false props to a sorry team, is that his shooting is off and his defense sucks, and that they should have crushed Indy.

Don't make excuses Gilby, or downplay the magnitude of this loss. Indiana is not going to contend for any title this year!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It's clear to me that AJ still has game. Even though he's pricey, he still has trade value. EG needs to get AJ out of here, or EJ needs to get AJ on the 2nd team, because otherwise, AB will not do anything this year. AB needs time on the court, not on the pine!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

GM - This was Wilbon's statement.

"It's an elite group. And each of those players, except McGrady, is untouchable to his current team. Well, just a hair outside that group is Arenas. Okay, not one of those guys is to the box office what Kobe is, but if the Lakers trade Kobe they're simply not going to get anything close to that star appeal."

A)The closest they can get - cuz nobody else of "elite level" is available.

B)Reason being? The Wizards, like Chicago will have to give up too many pertinent players..

Kobe & Caron and very close friends..Wiz would not part w/Caron.

Those are the reasons to say: No Thanks.

It has nothing to do with Kobe not being good nor Arenas being superior. He's "good" not superior not elite at this time.

Arenas will keep up the PR to "MAKE" or propell himself into the "Elite" if possible. And that's the trait that irritates DCMan. GA is obnoxious with it.

Its entertainment not a sport

Posted by: Dr. Psych. | November 2, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

""You're only going to see me twice! Me and my handsome self. I got a fresh cut for the Boston and Indiana fans. Break out the Arenas jerseys. I'm coming to town.""

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Gilby fits in perfectly in DC, just like the politicians here. Can't stand by his statements, while flip flopping and playing to the crowd's sentiments.

All we need him to do is to shut up, and play ball, put wins on the board, and carry Les BouleS deep into the playoffs. No need for any other unnecessary drama, hype, or self promotion.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Dr Strangelove,

I think Gilbert's quote about "them being a good ball club" was said with a bit of sarcasm. You can't tell me that he really didn't want to say there was no way we should have lost to them, especially without O'Neal. Most players don't speak with that kind of bluntness with the camera/mic/reported with note and pad in front of them. Well, maybe Shaq would. As Dennis Green would say, "The Pacers were who we thought they were, and we let em' off the hook."

Posted by: G$ | November 2, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

2cents4wiz,
Thanks, and let the healing begin.

For tonight and every night...Go Wiz!!!!

I hope Blatche gets plenty of minutes as well, particularly since he played Garnet well in their last meeting. Looking for Butler, and Jamison to shoot better and would like to see Haywood play strong throughout. EJ needs to let the starters rest and use our depth to wear down the Celtics starters. Enjoy!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Truth,
thanks for the correction yes...Mugsy from the Bullet's circus days.

G$,
Gosh, I would feel much better if that was sarcasm. I only saw the print and did not see it spoken so there is that potential. Regardless, I think some bluntness would be very healthy for this team. I don't really understand why Gilbert, of all people, would feel restrained from speaking the truth. He seems quite open in blogs and to say that he was sensitive to saying the wrong thing just doesn't sound like the Gilbert I see. Just my take.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 2, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Seems, That 88Man has "Pysch."'ed himself out getting some of that "Stranglove". Somebody call a "DR."!!! The idiot's lost it!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

damnit i dont feel good bout our depth. Mr Burns aka Abe Pollin is evil

Posted by: i | November 2, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I believe Caron is that vocal (in-your-face) player but only on the court and behind the scenes. They do need an enforcer though. Someone to strike fear and who is willing to give the hard foul while standing their ground. Maybe in time, D Mac can be that guy. No one would believe Gilbert if he displayed it right now any way.

Posted by: G$ | November 2, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

This is a Wizard's Blog, right? Why is there more information on Denver, the Celtics, anybody else other than the Wizards? Didn't the Wiz do anything worth mentioning in the past 48 hours?

Posted by: G | November 2, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It is beyond evident that DcCat is deranged and obsessed with Arenas. If someone hates another person they simply state it once and move on - and have nothing more to do with that person. But this DcCat keeps posting over and over and over again about Gilbert - constantly SEARCHING for info to post about him. That is not hatred...that is OBSESSION. Call an emergency room - or better yet a psych ward!

Posted by: Griff | November 2, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"When I said we were going to beat the Celtics on November 2, was that really a prediction? I don't think I wanted to say, 'Hey, we're going to play Boston and we're going to lose!' " he wrote. "Agent Zero is coming in the building. I'm back. I know all you Boston fans are going to want to go to see Kevin Garnett, but y'all are going to see him 41 games."

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL,LOL, Ya gotta laugh!!
Ya Just Gotta Laugh...

Mr. Marketing and Self Promoter!!

He forgot his "TEAMMATES" were coming to town too!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya just gotta laught

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"

Dr Strangelove,

Posted by: G$ | November 2, 2007 03:19 PM "

It's funny how people can note "sarcasm" just by reading a quote even without hearing someone's tone from an actual interview. Let's say it was spoken with sarcasm, then what point was he trying to make? That Les BouleS sucked?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 2, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree Jarvis had a decent game.... and like it was said above "they won." Besides Prince and Mohammad EVERYONE shot under 38%. Give the kid a darn break and wish him well. I didn't recall Jarvis getting any props when he led his team in preseason! Now that's the Jarvis we DON'T know!

What's so funny is Jarvis shot .410% last season and a HEALTHY Gilbert Arenas shot .418%, while taking about 20 more shots than Jarvis. Guess what? Nobody said anything about GIl. Jarvis shot
.361% from 3pt and Gil shot .351 from the 3pt line. HMMMMMMMM it seems like these guys stats are VERY similar. Keep in mind Gil played an average 39 minutes per game; BIG difference.

What's really funny is Jarvis went 8-13 (21pts) against the Wiz' and the Pistons WON!!! GO Jarvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wizwin2night | November 2, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: k-dub | November 2, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching this debacle. Wiz are getting there arses handed to them right now.

Posted by: bigfish | November 2, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz look like absolute crap tonight.

Posted by: bigfish | November 2, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Good job Gil. Please predict a loss next time and maybe we'll pull a win out of it. What an embarrassment.

Posted by: bigfish | November 2, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

When has KG Allen and Pierce ever been on a team that has had a chance to be proven winners? THAT is something to think about don't you think? Kobe has won championships how many will he win with his current team? Think about it. You need to have talent around you to win.

Posted by: Nora | November 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse