Chat today at 2

We'll be hosting a chat this afternoon at 2 p.m. (look for the chat tab on the front of the web sports page) so feel free to drop in with some questions for myself and Mike Lee. I'm in San Antonio for tonight's Wiz/Spurs game as the Wiz try to make it a two-game sweep in Texas after Monday's big win at Dallas. In my mind, a win either tonight or Friday night at Philly would make this a decent road trip.

Saturday's home game against Toronto starts a stretch of gamers at Verizon Center and that's a welcome thing for all of us. It feels like I've been home only three or four nights since training camp started. That's not the case but these guys have played a ton of road games. I half expect my dog (who looks a lot like Frank Lucas' dog in American Gangster) to bite me when I walk in the door Saturday morning because she won't recognize me....

By Ivan Carter  |  November 28, 2007; 12:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On to San Antonio
Next: Wiz putting up a fight

Comments

Yeah a loss tonight and a win in Philly makes this a successful stretch for me as well. I'm proud of the guys.

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | November 28, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Haywood has to be aggressive this game in order to win... I really want to see if Blatche will pull some tricks to stop Duncan.

Posted by: fire starter | November 28, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, in the future could you please post a link to the chat in these posts saying there's a chat.

Posted by: freedc | November 28, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe c | November 28, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn Stevenson's defensive abilities are a mere rumor, in my view. I couldn't find the Wizards chat under the chat tab. Could someone post a link?

Posted by: George Templeton | November 28, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gus | November 28, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, weakbodied JCN can score. But he couldn't defend your grandmother. And when the Wiz took a #1 for him. Gilbert was apparently mending well. And deShaun defends.

Posted by: joe c | November 28, 2007 01:58 PM "

Gilbert mending well? It takes a knee injury 12-18 months to heal properly. Either EG/Les BouleS doctors are stupid or incompetent, or both.

As I've said before, I'd rather have JCN who's a lethal scorer rather than a poser like DS who can neither defend nor score consistently.

DS defend? DS is supposed to defend the opponent's top guard.

Well, Baron Davis had 33 pts, 15 assists, and 11 rebs, and then JCN had 28 pts., and then JJ Barea had 15 pts in 12 minutes.

Defend that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

My general feeling is that Stevenson is a good defender, but JCN is an even better offensive player. However if you look at the Lenovo stats on NBA.com, Stevenson is a +40 and JCN is a -21. Of course JCN is on a team that isn't as good as the Wiz, but just throwing it out there.

Posted by: Ted | November 28, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Gus, I couldn't find it either.

Posted by: prophet | November 28, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

This probably more for Michael and Ivan, but has DeShawn Stevenson commented on Sean Taylor? I bet it really hit home for DeSharn with that shooting at his house this summer.

Posted by: DOC | November 28, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a crap about JCN. We got CB and AJ and the crew and are doing just fine. He did not come here and is not coming here so let it go already! No matter when you come to this post, it is always the same ole negative crap. I'm OUT! One day I am going to learn to just read Ivans and Micheale Lees articles and move on.

GO WIZ!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Another reason JCN's stats wouldn't translate directly to the Wizards. He'd just be another confused rookie for us.

Posted by: TC | November 28, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

George, Stevenson has guys he struggles against but the he does very well against others. He seems to do well against the big physical twos and struggles with really quick guys.

But at the rate Young is improving in time he'll make Navarro or Stevenson pretty much a moot point.

Tonight's matchup will be really tough for the Wiz but by stealing a win in Dallas our guys will be playing loose. They'll be glad to be getting off the road soon.

A split in these next two will be ok, beat SA tonight and the fire Eddie guys might take a day off.

Posted by: GM | November 28, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

So Ivan mentioned today in the Chat for the 1,200th time

Damn, and I'm one of the guys that first intro'd JCN to this board and bigged up his skills after seeing him destroy the Sixers in an exhibition. Y'all are making jump over the deep end with the incessant revisionist history.

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | November 28, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"88'er two of the guys you mentioned are points, and Stevenson doesn't even gaurd those guys, Daniels does.

Posted by: GM | November 28, 2007 03:31 PM "

DS's job is to guard the best guard on the opponent's side, PG or SG.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Edit above: The choice to trade JCN that is.

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | November 28, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"THE JCN CHOICE WAS THE ONLY LOGICAL ONE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE BY ERNIE GRUNFELD!!!

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | November 28, 2007 03:39 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder how much of JCN's output is a result of his connection with Gasol? They've played together since they were kids.

Posted by: TC | November 28, 2007 03:29 PM "

JCN's relationship to Gasol had absolutely nothing to do with the step back move that froze Mason which resulted in a 25 ft. bomb from downtown. If you can play, you can play.

Here's an excerpt from today's chat and Ivan's assessment on JCN.

----------------------------------------

Cap Hill: Does Grunfeld regret dumping Navarro for practically nothing yet? With Gil out- we can sure use him right about now. I would prefer him over Stevenson if it came down to it.

Ivan Carter: He probably thought twice about it when "LaBomba" was killing the Wizards the other night.

That said, Ernie didn't have enough money to re-sign Stevenson and Blatche, AND pay a first-round draft pick (Nick Young, who would have lost minutes and valuable learning time had Navarro been here) AND remaine under the tax.

He tried to get what he could for Navarro, even went as far as to try and get Memphis to take a package that included Navarro and Etan Thomas, but that didn't happen. Navarro sure can play though. I like his game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

does anybody have a feel for whether Gil will actually be able to play this season. I hear three months, then I hear three months to start practicing - does that mean another month before he goes in a game, or a week or a day? Are we realistically talking late March?

In response to all the Songalia haters out there - keep in mind that a team is made up of components. You can't have all the same components if you want the machine to work. Songalia brings things to the floor that aren't particularly sexy nor obvious unless you know basketball, but they are important and do cover weaknesses in other players. Specifically, he knows how to play help and position defense - key in complementing shot blockers in BH and AB who get out of position blocking shots. He knows how to make nifty passes - key on a team that isn't deep on the guys who get the dimes. He also has a decent old school low post game, key for changing the pace on a team that otherwise often shoots jump shots. Sure he can't jump very well, and his feet are slow, but we have players on the team who can cover these weaknesses (shot blockers and guys with quick hands). Something to think about tonight and look for - especially with the Spurs who will make it very hard for the Wiz to rely on jumpers. . .

Posted by: charles jones | November 28, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"The caveat to this statement is that EG had to sign DS b/c of Gilby's wishes. If he did not sign DS, then there would have been room to sign JCN."

See this is where the facts are getting thrown. Yes, Deshawn and Gil were friends, but they weren't any better friends than Gil and Larry. In fact by every account Larry Hughes was and still is one of Gil's best friends in the league. Friendship don't pay the bills. Ernie kept Deshawn because he wanted a starting caliber 2guard as his starting 2guard. Every "scouting report" had JCN as a really good 6th man at best. Why would you choose him as your starting SG? Especially when he is much smaller and slower and can't guard other teams wings like Deshawn? C'mon man think about it. Yes it would have been great to have both, but I can't say I'm mad at keeping Deshawn over JCN.

Now would I have like to see them use the money to sign Devin Brown and pick up another veteran maybe even JCN? Yes but thats another argument. Player of player as far as our team is concerned give me Deshawn.

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | November 28, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Charles Jones, It's always nice to read a comment from someone that actually watches and understands the game.

Posted by: GM | November 28, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Owl,

All I read initially was that Gilby said he wasn't going to get involved in personnel decisions. When it was time to decide on DS, Gilby came out and said he wanted DS on the team. EG rewarded DS with a 14 mil contract for doing nothing during the playoffs. Try to figure that out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Charles,

It takes 12-18 months to fully heal and recover from knee surgery. After 3 months, I guarantee that we won't be hearing silly stories about Gilby running around town with parachutes or biking around town without a helmet anymore.

Given all that, I'd venture to say that Gilby is going to give it a try right before the playoffs, but he won't be fully healed until next season at best.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Spurs have been on a losing slide of late as Dallas and Phoenix. So Wiz very may get a win. Pop doesn't press his team so much at start of season - just in case no one noticed the last couple of years. He lets them cruise..watches to make sure they're fundamentally sound etc but doesn't stress over every win or loss. Its been written about quite a bit. He keeps them March minded for spring..then he tightens the reigns.

Things should go pretty easy.

How amazingly sad about Taylor.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't know why Abe needs any of these guys that he pays all of this big money when he could just replace the whole organization with the 88'er.

Posted by: GM | November 28, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

It takes 12-18 months to fully heal and recover from knee surgery.
Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 04:07 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I've had several knee surgeries.

Actually, length of recovery depends on the KIND of knee surgery.

Major knee reconstruction, like I had, may take 18-months to 2-years to fully heal. I had the "unhappy triad", ACL, MCL and torn meniscus, along with a broken patella.

Torn ligaments (ACL or MCL) may take 12-18 months to fully heal.

Minor torn meniscus surgury can take as little as 2-3 months to heal.

I'm not sure, but I think Arenas had a minor procedure to remove the torn portion of the meniscus, and not the more significant surgery of a meniscus repair.

Posted by: Rook | November 28, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Rook, I think the first surgery was a repair because it was a lateral tear. The second tear was of the medial meniscus and that's where they usually do the partial removal. Although I don't know whether this was the case with Gil in the second surgery.

Also, 88 wrote, "Eat your heart out EG.

JCN is #1 of top ten rookies so far:..."

You'd expect JCN to have a head-start over the other guys since he's had many years of pro experience. He's not really a "rookie" any more than Ichiro was when he came to play in Seattle.

Posted by: Mitch | November 28, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mitch | November 28, 2007 06:24 PM

If it is a medial meniscus tear, that is one of the minor surgeries I talked about. Walking soon after the surgery. Normal activity (walking, bending, etc) after a couple of weeks, starting rehab in 1-2 months, and resume all normal activities, including sports in 2-4 months.

Posted by: Rook | November 28, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Charles Jones,

Very true about Songalia and you left out something else folks should notice...On offense he sets lots of picks. Not just to create pick and rolls but to create open shots for others. One of the keys to creating mismatches is wise picks and he really excels at this. By the way, this was one of the unnoticed intangibles that Ruffin did that many failed recognize.

By the way, Spurs lost their last game didn't they? They don't usually have losing streaks so I don't expect much of a contest tonight unfortunately.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 28, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Right.

Posted by: Mitch | November 28, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to Rook's last post.

Posted by: Mitch | November 28, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"88'er's doing medical opinions on the side while he's signing a new FA or making a new blockbuster trade every day.

Posted by: GM | November 28, 2007 05:10 PM "

Abe should hire GM. Then Abe would seem younger b/c he'd be hanging out with older farts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 28, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

".....By the way, this was one of the unnoticed intangibles that Ruffin did that many failed recognize.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 28, 2007 06:52 PM "

No defense of Ruffin. Ever

Posted by: TROB | November 28, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Man does the JCN stuff get old. JCN wanted to play with his buddy Gasol, not alongside Gil. And the Wiz didn't need another small ball-hogging guard. Do we have to revisit the history of JCN's agent's maneuvering and Barcelona's connivance, on every other thread on this board?

And who cares if he's a top ten rookie according to ESPN? So was Jarvis Hayes, and that was in the class that included LeBron, Melo, DWayde, Bosh, and a few others. So what? JCN, JCN, BFD.

Posted by: Prazak | November 28, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Big-ass slurping tonight. "My sw-sweet G-Gilbee!"

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

#1 overated player in the world JUAN CARLOS NAVARRO. The people on here are jokes you would take and already bad defensive team and make it worse for 5-10 extra pts a game. get a life and a brain. Plus Juan god navarro(that should be his name the way everyone talks about him on here) gives up 10 easy buckets a game. So now your in the negative. All I can say is THANK GOD HE DIDN'T COME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we could've signed him I bet his buyout clause would've been hiked back up so we couldn't buy him out. Get over it and get on with your lives people. I'd have rather kept Devin Harris.

Posted by: jwc | November 28, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse