Checking in

I'm gettting ready to head to VC to catch practice (we usually get to see the final 15 minutes or so and if we're lucky, catch some scrimmaging). Not sure about Gilbert's status today after he did not practice yesterday. That wasn't a shock to me given that the team played three games in four nights to start the season and face another three-in-four set starting Thursday night at New Jersey.

I did speak to someone close to Gilbert who is familiar with the situation and was told that the knee is structurally fine. It seems that Gilbert is going through the mental process of playing his way back into condition and that makes sense. Every athlete I've been around or covered who was coming off a knee injury went through a similar proces.

Even when they said they felt fine, you just knew that somewhere in the back of their mind, they were fighting their body a little bit. Case in point: Jarvis Hayes (granted, his knee injuries were far more serious than the one suffered by Gilbert). Jarvis swore that he felt great last season but it was obvious that he was playing with a certain amount of hesitation. Now, he's flowing and when I was in Detroit for the preseason he told me that being two years removed from surgery is like night and day.

I'll ask Eddie Jordan about his plans/thoughts on Andray Blatche, who has seen limited action since the opener in Indiana. One factor is obvious: Jordan's plan coming in was to use Andray as a backup center but Brendan Haywood is playing so well, Jordan has kept big BTH on the floor. Perhaps he'll consider playing them together? How would that affect the minutes distributed between Antawn Jamison and Darius Songaila? Jamison is shooting poorly and Songaila had a rough one the other night. Eddie has to figure all of that out AND get his guys to move the ball better so they get better shots AND figure out what roles, if any, the rookies should have. This team needs a good weekend.

Side note: From now on, Adrian Peterson will be known as Purple Jesus. He's Bo Jackson, Sweetness and Forrest Gump all rolled into one. Dude runs like the defense owes him rent money.

By Ivan Carter  |  November 6, 2007; 10:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Back at it
Next: The update

Comments

What Can Gilbert Learn From Chad Johnson?

read more:

Posted by: truthaboutit.net | November 6, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

second

Posted by: suns | November 6, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the crews had already completely broken down the set from the Police concert at the VC last night. Great show!!

Posted by: Prazak | November 6, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Great to hear you'll be asking EJ the questions we've been asking ourselves on this blog. Completely agree that AB should not be taking minutes from BTH. Songaila shouldn't get many minutes once AB is worked steadily into the rotation...unless he's our backup C (which would work). AB needs to get time at PF and AJ could use the rest. McG could then come in at the to spell CB. Just make sure at least one of the Big 3 is always out there with AB or McG to keep the flow going.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

What Can Gilbert Learn From Chad Johnson?

read more:

Posted by: truthaboutit.net | November 6, 2007 10:48 AM

Sam Rubenstein can't read, or reads but doesn't comprehend. Gilbert was not placing himself above Lebron, Wade, etc. His point was that people love to criticize him for being a shoot first point guard, but don't even bother to look at the stats that show other people are getting their touches and their shots. His point is that by playing the way he plays, the others in the team get their chances too.

Posted by: rgz | November 6, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It seems that Eddie has no grasp on his rotation at this point and time. There is no reason that he has to play the Big-3 those many minutes. Andray has not been given a fair shot at playing time; it is like they expect him to come in after sitting for 20 to 40 game minutes and come in and play lights out ball (get real).

If Gil and Twan are not shooting well and Butler is turning the ball over like crazy then give them a spot on the bench for a little while so they can see what's going on.

If Eddie can't get it right then he will be watching someone else coaching the Wiz. I know that Ernie doesn't have a problem pulling the trigger on that.

Posted by: Gee | November 6, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Everything that Gilbert says you have to take with a grain of salt.

But still, that interview looked pretty bad on paper.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The real reason Blatche did not play more minutes is not because of Haywood playing well. It is because EJ prefers to play Jamison and Songiala together at 4 and 5. In other words, Baltche is not the first backup center off the bench as EJ claims. EJ actually prefers to use Songaila as backup center than Blatche. If EJ had used AB as the sole backup for Haywood, his minutes would have been doubled!

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 6, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Ivan. Blatche and BTH together! As long as they can stay out of collective foul trouble, I hope Eddie starts to go to this for longer stretches in the second half of games.

Songaila's a nice player but absolutely needs to be behind Blatche in the rotation for the Wiz to make the next step -- even if it's a shirt-term step back (which I don't think it would be). Blatche should be getting 20-25 mpg. More if he's flowing.

Posted by: Ben | November 6, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It's more and more apparent to me that Eddie does not understand how to use his bench players, prior or current. He seems to not be a good, game time coach with the ability to make adjustments on the fly. He relies too much on his starters and does not properly encourage his bench players with meaningful PT. If you don't get consistent PT or even think you're going to get into the game, particularly as a young player who wants to develop thier skills, how do you expect them to be ready to contribute when you do put them in? I believe Gilbert, Antawn and Caron will be just fine as the season unfolds, but I don't think we'll go far unless our bench players are developed with proper and rather consistent PT.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Sagaliba. Blatche is clearly in the doghouse for some reason. It was clear in the Boston game. He has had good games against Garnett in the past, so why did he play only a handful of minutes? It was like the Ilgauskas-Haywood situation in the playoffs last year? Why does Eddie continually have friction with his big men? Dr. Freud would have a field day with that one.

Posted by: Sean | November 6, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Songalia is just dreadful, probably wouldn't be picked up by any team if the Wizards waived him. The guy can't run, shoots mediocre, and is a terrible defender. I don't think Blatche is all that, but he certainly can't prove anything when he's riding the pine. He's gotta be better than Songalia at least. I do find it interesting that everyone on this board who for so long trashed B-Hay for saying he needed minutes to prove himself are now saying Blatche needs minutes to prove himself. Kind of hypocritical. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see B-Hay finally getting minutes. If only we could get Arenas to pass a few times per game.

Posted by: MikeBHay | November 6, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

off topic: Adrian Peterson reminds me of Eric Dickerson..just not quite as upright.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Everything that Gilbert says you have to take with a grain of salt.

But still, that interview looked pretty bad on paper.

Posted by: | November 6, 2007 11:56 AM "

So what's the point of Gilby saying these things at all? Like I said before, Gilby needs to stop with the self promotion and just play basketball and let his play do the talking. Otherwise, he'll end up like Juwan Howard, form most beloved to most hated and booed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

"Dude runs like the defense owes him rent money.

By Ivan Carter | November 6, 2007; 10:24 AM ET
Previous: Back at it | "

Dude runs like he owes the defense rent money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Songalia is just dreadful, probably wouldn't be picked up by any team if the Wizards waived him."

Wrong. A tough, physical big who can score in the post, hit the mid-range jumper, and has nice passing ability and court vision? He'd be on somebody's roster as soon as the ink on his waiver paperwork was dry.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that Eddie can learn a lot from a successful coach like Jerry Sloan.

Despite being from the DC area, and being a fan of the Bullets, I've always had a thing for the Jazz, particularly during the Stockton-to-Malone era. If any of you can recall, Sloan always stuck to a set rotation. Stockton would always leave with 3 or so minutes left in the 1st. Malone would always take a seat to start the 2nd. Etc, etc. Every player, from the starters to the bench, knew when they would be called to the floor and how many minutes they would play. What did that result in? The starters were fresh in crunch time, and bench players like Donyell Marshall, Shandon Anderson, Howard Eisley, even Adam Keefe had the best seasons of their careers on the Jazz. Seems that in the case of Utah, setting expectations and sticking to them worked to the benefit of Sloan and the players.

I, for one, prefer that to the ad-hoc subbing and decision-making that Eddie's going for.

Posted by: bringbackghitza | November 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So one or the other is going to get slighted every night. So far it has mostly been AB.

Posted by: Tim | November 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Arenas is our Dennis Rodman.
Its like living on a roller coaster.
Thats who Gil Arenas is:

Once you accept that - be prepared to read, see or hear anything. I had to be:

At a special program where he had made a donation - GA asked to speak. Beside all the other things about himself he finished with: "With all the money I've given this city - you guys should consider me for Mayor. You know you all love me" he declared. Nobody laughed. It wasn't considered "quirky" either.
Be prepared for "anything"

Posted by: PRS | November 6, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't realize when you do interviews for articles and stuff and when people read it, especially articles with me, they're ready to nitpick. I didn't know you have to talk in interviews like you're talking to idiots and explain every little detail. I didn't realize that."

Posted by: rgz | November 6, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The Songalia is dreadful comment is ridiculous. He is a very decent player. Sure he has some limitations, but so does Gilbert. I tell you this I would much rather have Songalia taking an open 15 footer than Gilbert.

Otherwise, I have a bad feeling about this season. Without a completely healthy Arenas and no defense to speak of, this team just might be heading for the 33 wins put worth by Hollinger. Second all the criticism of EJ. Just not a top flight coach no matter how much I like him as a person.

Posted by: Rob P | November 6, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>>

Yeah, seems like Eddie is cycling Jamison, Haywood, and Songaila through the 4 and 5 spots. He's currently trying to find minutes for Blatche at small forward behind Butler.

Personally, I'd like to see Blatche down low, but that means you're taking minutes away from from one of those guys. Blatche hasn't really shown any reason to deserve more PT when he's been on the court so far, but then again neither has Songaila. Those guys are supposed to be an advantage for the wiz this year. Hopefully at some point they will be.

Posted by: rotation? | November 6, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, at the start of the season EJ said AD, Songaila and Blatche will be the first 3 off the bench. 3 games in, Baltche's playing time is not even the 8th. He ranked behind Mason and only slightly ahead of Nick Young.

I can understand a team sometimes wants to play "small." But the point of playing small is to have a quicker lineup. Unfortunately, neither AJ nor Songaila is quick. It looks to me EJ is playing "small" just for the sake of preventing any player of his over 6'9" on the court! Songaila may be a better shooter than Blatche, but so far he only had one good shooting game (vs. Boston). Exclduing Boston game, he shot only 3 for 13 in the other two games! It looks to me EJ is quick to pull tall players if they didn't do well, but is much more tolerant even when AJ and Songaila kept on missing shots!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Tim said: "I guess with BH now getting 30 minutes or more a night and AJ still getting around 40, that leaves probably at most 26 backup minutes for AB and Songaila at 4 and 5."

Yes, let's take a look at the math. If Brendan plays 30 minutes, why wouldn't Blatche get the remaining 18? Only a fool would play Jamison 40 minutes a night. Let's cut that to 34 instead, so that gives Songalia 14 minutes. If McGuire doesn't take all the minutes at SF when Caron is on the bench, then give some of those to Blatche, and perhaps let Songalia play a few minutes at center. (Not my favorite move, but whatever.)

That would mean 30 minutes for Haywood, 34 for Jamison, and 38 for Caron, leaving 42 minutes to divide between Blatche, Songalia and McGuire. That's workable, and sensible.

Posted by: Sean | November 6, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

It's sensible if they get the minutes in that order. Of the 42, AB should get 25, Songaila 10, and McGuire 7. Once McGuire is established, switch that up and give him Songaila's minutes. Songails IS tough, smart, and a good passer and decent shooter. We got him for defense and rebounding, though. As is the case with a lot of guys on this roster, he's undersized for his position. This makes him below average as a defender and rebounder. He's maxed out and McGuire is not as good now but has a bigger upside. While you have a good veteran team, develop the youngsters slowly NOW by giving them consistent minutes rather than waiting to bring them along.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As an aside, if you go to the games,you can actually see the real sizes of the players relative to other players. Caron is about 6'5", not 6'7". McGuire is 6'7" tops. Songaila is 6'8" tops. Jamison is 6'7"-6'8". Jameer Nelson looks 5'8" or 5'9" at best.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

""Like I said before" - DCMoron says this incessantly......thinks he is sooo damn smart and knows everything...when he knows NOTHING.

Posted by: | November 6, 2007 12:45 PM "

Don't hate me b/c my predictions came true.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"As is the case with a lot of guys on this roster, he's undersized for his position."

That's true if he's playing C. Not true if he's playing PF.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"From Gilbert's blog today, this sentence will get more criticism than what he actually tries to explain.

Posted by: rgz | November 6, 2007 12:58 PM "

Is this any worse than last year when he was quoted as saying his dream Adidas commercial was him hitting a game winner, him throwing his jersey on the court, and fans jumping from the nosebleeds and crashing onto the court, saying ouch, climbing over each other, and then a little girls grabs his jersey and starts to run away, happy, but then gets clotheslined by a kid in a wheelchair where he then proceeds to say "Nothing is Impossible?"

Well, Gilby told everyone last year that this scenario was his dream commercial. Sick eh?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I guess for me, A.B.'s playing time is a secondary issue right now. I'd want to get the big three in order first - if they were shooting accurately we'd have space to let them sit more and begin to experiment with and grow the seconds. Build up a lead first. As long as we're playing from behind, I'd want the big three in. Bringing in reserves only works if they are proven ...

Trying again - that sounded convoluted. If the big 3 aren't delivering, why not sub in for a spark? Because even in that situation, the big 3 are the best chance of building a lead. It's not like A.B. is ready to win a sixth man award ... he'll get his minutes when we're not trying to frantically catch up.

Not much better ... what do people think?

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | November 6, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

It's clear to me that Blatche at the 4 or 5 needs to be in the rotation with Songalia/Jamison--2 vertically challenged 6'8ish players. Blatche is the best weak side defender/shot blocker we have. It balances out the starters and bench with length and shot blocking when BTH or him are in the game. He's very good passer in the post and has a developing offensive repertoire.

I'm hoping EJ will not be too punitive when he misses an assignment or gets occasionally embarrassed by the likes or Paul Pierce.

Hopefully EJ will see the benefit of giving him 6th/7th man minutes. Two of the three games we lost decisively w/o Blatche, so what would it hurt to play him especially when you need him.

Posted by: The Janitor | November 6, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Songaila is actually small(ish) for a PF, too. He's listed at 6'8", 248 but I'd be willing to bet he's really 6'7 3/4" or so and about 10 pounds lighter. Most of the goodones (with Z Randolph and some others the exception) are a little taller or much heavier relative to their height. In other words, stronger or taller. Songaila is a good sub off the bench for an average team but in terms of talent/potential, he probably should get little time on this team. We have too many other guys that we need to develop.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Just looked it up and AJ measured 6'7" 3/4 at his pre-draft camp. I doubt he's grown since. trying to find some of the the other guys' REAL information and not what's in the guide.

Posted by: mark | November 6, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to assume Songaila isn't as tall as his listed height then you also have to assume that most other players aren't either (a fair assumption, actually). He's hardly a midget or a lightweight at the PF spot (particularly as a backup), and his combination of skills (shooting, passing, post scoring) make him a very useful asset.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

And if you're going to play Scotland Yard with player measurements, then you have to recognize that there is no way in hell Blatche is 248 pounds.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Idiot. Fool. Pond scum.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"I am sure dcman/woman88 is eating this up. He loves anything where Gil is in a negative spot. I have never came across a person who is so consumed with the total destruction of another person. What a sad,pathetic excuse of a person this person is. Who or what ever you are, you need to get a life. This fixation you have is getting quite scary. You sound like a stalker or something worse.

Posted by: | November 6, 2007 03:24 PM "

Duh, I would gladly cheer for Gilby if he wasn't such a blatant self promoting sob story diva.

When he first arrived here to DC, I admired how far he'd come based on his upbringing, but was cautiously optimistic at the same time. Then, he transformed into Madame Butterfly with his coming out party, with his complaint that Adidas didn't have his picture on a building, with crying about EJ making him play D and making him run the princeton, bold claims about trying to be the all star game mvp, his drama with the world basketball team, with him evading court officials sent by his baby's momma, etc. The list goes on and on.

Who else on this team has had such drama? AB pales in comparison to Gilby, and AB's been shot and arrested!

One thing's for sure though, I haven't been brainwashed by Gilby like you have.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not a loser with no self esteem like you, who has to latch on to a superstar wannabe to feel good about yourself and your city. Go for it. I'm just pointing out what you don't see from your rose colored glasses.

One thing's for sure though, I haven't been brainwashed by Gilby like you have."

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 03:55 PM

Hello?

This is such an insane statement. You definitely suffer from self-esteem and are OBSESSED with Arenas. You complain that he needs attention but you need it worse. What's more I'm sure you do not even live in DC (probably far out in the burbs) and have never even been to a Wiz game.

Loser.

Posted by: DCCityDweller | November 6, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The truth wrote it in one of the other blogs perfectly DC is a drama queen.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

and thats the truth

Posted by: the truth | November 6, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

(Songaila is) hardly a midget or a lightweight at the PF spot (particularly as a backup).

Posted by: kalorama
---------------------------------------------

Exactly, let him backup Jamison, but not on the court at the same time with Jamison. At least, that combination should not be part of "the regular rotation." Let AB be the first backup center. We are not asking EJ to change his plan, we are asking EJ to stick to his plan as EJ has stated that AB is Haywood's backup.

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 6, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Arenas talks so much smack in here ...he says he's "stronger and a better shooter" than Isiah Thomas; tells us that LeBron James is not as good as the Cavs make him look; and insinuates that his ability to get other scorers involved puts him above James or Dwyane Wade.

Posted by: Jarvis Hayes | November 6, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"Hello?

Loser.

Posted by: DCCityDweller | November 6, 2007 04:14 PM "

Don't hate me because I'm right. Gilby gives everyone here plenty of ammo to shoot him down.

I read the Gilby article in the SI link above, and it's a joke. It's funny how Gilby is ranting on and on about stats, but never the most important stats, namely wins in the playoffs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Songalia in those sets is not the problem, Jamison is. Songalia is a legit back up 4. At this stage of his career thats what Jamison is too. Putting them out there together in crunch time is not smart. At some point EJ is going to have to bite the bullet and pull Jamison or go offense/defense. he isn't rebounding at the same rate and he's never defended his position well enough to be on the floor in those crucial situations.

Lets not forget the last time this full squad exited the playoffs, it was AJ playing matador to LeIcon on the baseline.

Posted by: Monte | November 6, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"Let AB be the first backup center. We are not asking EJ to change his plan, we are asking EJ to stick to his plan as EJ has stated that AB is Haywood's backup."

Where/when did he state that? I don't recall him making any such statements. What he did say, after Etan went out, is that they would play all the guys they had (Blatche, Pecherov, Songaila) at the C spot and didn't need to bring in anyone else.That was the closest to a "plan" that I've heard of. He never made any outright declarations that Blatche was going to be the primary backup C. And even if he did ... so what? He's not bound by law to do so.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"he isn't rebounding at the same rate and he's never defended his position well enough to be on the floor in those crucial situations."

Through 3 games Jamison is averaging 10.3 rebounds, tied for 18th in the entire league.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

EJ said during training camp that Blatche would be Haywood's back-up. He followed that plan for the first quarter and most of the second half of the Indiana game, but abandoned it after a couple Blatche minutes in the Boston game.

Posted by: Joe | November 6, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Rebounding and scoring have always been Antawn Jamison's strengths. The issues are his problems defending the other team's players before they shoot or pass the ball, and his problems denying his man when his man does not have the ball. One reason why his rebounds might be so high is that he slips his defense early to be in better rebounding position (i.e. he "cheats" to compensate for his relative lack of size as a power forward). All that said, he is a very good player (20/10 speak for themselves)!

Darius Songalia is a very good back-up power forward so long as he can spot up and hit the open jumper in addition to providing positional bulk and rebounding. But he is slow afoot and does not jump very well. If his shot is not dropping, it follows logically that a more mobile player (i.e Blatche or McGuire) should replace him.

I also agree strongly with those who find little logic in having Jamison and Songalia on the court at the same time. That is a recipe for defensive disaster in the middle.

As far as Gilbert goes, the question is how much of his current problems are due to his knee versus whether he just is going through an early season funk as was the case last year. This is a big deal, because without a major, major effort from Gilbert (which means scoring both going to the rim and outside the arc... how many players can open the court for themselves like that?) the Wizards are a pretty ordinary team. If Gilbert comes around, the angst on this blog and in VC will subside a bit... and an edgy Caron Butler will cut down on his turnovers, which are unusually high because he probably feels he is carrying the heavy load now, which is not his job.

Oh, and Nick Young needs the minutes that Roger Mason is now getting. Good God, he is the most exciting draft pick this team has had in years, and he will not learn anything sitting on the bench.

Posted by: khrabb | November 6, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"But he is slow afoot and does not jump very well. If his shot is not dropping, it follows logically that a more mobile player (i.e Blatche or McGuire) should replace him."

More mobile is not a synonym for more effective.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Does DCMan post during the games? What if he IS Arenas? LOL, sounds unlikely but the dude is a self-promoter. Any publicity is good publicity, you know.

Posted by: newposter | November 6, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

DCJerk is definitely not Gil....most likely never played a second of basketball in his life.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Someone made a decent point about Jamison being a backup PF just like Songaila. I wouldn't go as far as to call him (AJ) a backup but he should be playing less. Lets be honest, AJ is the worst defender on the team. Who can AJ defend? Lets take a mediocre team like Atlanta, Josh Smith or Marvin Williams is too aggressive and mobile and Al Horford or Shelden Williams is strong.

Looking at the games, it is clear that the defense breaks down when they have to come and help out on the guy that AJ is supposed to be garding. Point blank AJ is a designated gunner and there is nothing wrong with that but he doesn't deserve max contract money and 40 something minutes per ballgame.

If I am wrong then let me know?

Posted by: Gee | November 6, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama
---------------------------------------------
Others have already answered your "never heard" part. As to "so what" part, Wizards have lost all 3 games, and failed to develop a young player, that's what.

We do not know what kind of an NBA play AB can be developed into, but if he does not play, we never get to find out. For the team's future, it is also very important for Wizards to find out too.

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 6, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Ivan:

"Runs like the defense owes him rent money."

Very funny statement about Adrian Peterson. Funniest quote from any sportswriter other than Bill Simmons

Posted by: Noups | November 6, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Three games at the beginning of the year is hardly enough time to judge whether EJ is developing or not developing his young players, especially when his starting lineup is not yet playing well.

I think EJ will stick with major minutes for the big three until they start playing well together and in rhythm and the Wiz start getting some wins.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

"As to "so what" part, Wizards have lost all 3 games, and failed to develop a young player, that's what."

He hasn't "failed" at anything three games into the season, beyond winning a game. All of this clamoring for Blatche is just the latest manifestation of the bench-riding savior syndrome. Whenever a team is struggling, the fans are always convinced that there's somebody buried on the bench who, if he can just get into the game, would turn things around.

"EJ said during training camp that Blatche would be Haywood's back-up. "

He also said that Songaila and Pecherov would be getting minutes there. Jordan didn't anything that could interpreted as Blatche would definitely be getting the majority of minutes behind Haywood. And even if he did, big whoop. Coaches say one thing and do another at game time all the time.

"As a fan, we like to know what makes EJ changes his mind, and not whether or not EJ breaks any law by changing his mind (that would be silly)."

There's more than enough silliness to go around here.

As a fan, what difference does it make why he changed his mind? Is knowing why going to change the results? As a fan, I couldn't care less why he changed his mind. All I care about is whether the team wins. I don't care who does or doesn't play as long as that goal is accomplished.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I lost a huge bet, my car, and my girlfriend when Gil missed those free throws and the Wizards lost the playoff game. I have hated Gil ever since and have dedicated my pathetic and miserable life to bashing Gil at every opportunity.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 7, 2007 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I am DC woMan88. Hear me roar!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 7, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

However you cut it, Gilby is not meeting expectations yet this year so far. I don't see his knee getting better, and the more people write on this blog using my name, the more I know that I've proven myself correct once again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 7, 2007 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Don't care what anybody says..Gilbert Arenas is a egomaniac nut - pure & simple. This team will not progress very far this year unless he can "use" it to get further publicity. He wants out of DC and makes no bones about it. Put gilbert up against Mcgrady,Nash or Bosh..then lets talk. I am not DCMan and I get sick of seein his nubby teeth grins and that banana of a nose..Then he starts running that idiotic mouth of his and I've had it.

Please quit telling me about what he's done for this team and city..thats int he past.He makes 11 mil a yr plus the $$for promoting his shoes He should "give" he'll get it back on his taxes anyway.

When this team starts to progress with some leadership..if he's at the head of the changes..them I'll applaud him.
For now, I dont see any thought of team from him and he's still fighting w/EJ.

that stuff keeps the team unsettled.

Posted by: Bill | November 7, 2007 1:40 AM | Report abuse

meow.......

Posted by: Anonymous | November 7, 2007 2:25 AM | Report abuse

kalorama,

If ALL you care is whether the team wins, then ALL you need is to check the scoreboard. Why bother post and discuss here? The fact that we are reading Ivan's articles proves that we do care more about whether the team wins, we like to know why and other things behind it as well!

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 7, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I guess watching him get abused by Orlando first hand left its mark. So lets look deeper at the numbers...

He got 16 of his 31 boards against an Indiana team without O'Neal and Murphy. He had 10 versus Boston, (8 after they got their big lead in the second quarter, 4 in the 4th alone). He had 5 boards versus Orlando.

So the average is there... and so is the giant bullseye as a defender. Thus Turkoglu's number in the 4th versus Twan.

Posted by: Monte | November 7, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse