Live from VC

The word from here at the VC is that Gilbert Arenas will play tonight against the Denver Nuggets. The Wiz are going through a shootaround right now on the practice court and Arenas is participating. Also, I hear that the conversation between Jason Kidd and Gilbert at the end of last night's game was about Gilbert's surgically repaired left knee.

Gilbert touched on it in his latest blog entry, saying that Kidd and former Arizona teammate Richard Jefferson strongly suggested that he seek extra opinions on the knee's status and consider limiting his minutes until he gets his legs back underneath him. Both Kidd and Jefferson have had knee troubles in the past. Arenas did not have an MRI today but may have one when the team returns from Sunday's trip to Atlanta, I'm told.

It will be interesting to see how he looks tonight in a back-to-back situation. Also, you have to wonder about how Eddie Jordan is going to use him given the fact that this team seriously needs a win. I'll ask Eddie about that when he speaks at 7 p.m. or so.

By Ivan Carter  |  November 9, 2007; 6:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas update
Next: On to Atlanta

Comments

First!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

fire eddie

Posted by: rfzonadc | November 9, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

David Aldridge reported on wtem 980 that Gilby said JKidd told him to take it easy on the knee, that he shouldn't be playing right after getting his knee drained. DA remarked that players usually take 12-18 months to heal from knee surgery.

As I said earlier, if I were Gilby, I'd definitely get a second opinion on my knee due to lack of confidence in Les BouleS medical staff. Just ask CWebb when he had the separated shoulder.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 9, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Should have traded Gil for Kobe when we had the chance. The season is ruined! Anyone good coming out this year that we can snare with our lottery pick? Ok, I kid because I love. That's the reason why I am a Wizards fan!

Posted by: Larry | November 9, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I wrote about this early last season, that Gilby was taking a huge risk by hedging his bets by opting out so that he can get a max contract.

If and when Gilby gets over his knee situation, he'd better produce like he did the 1st half of last season. If not, there's no way he should get a max contract. Why? For 1/2 of season of dominant play/shooting? I don't think so. I don't think he's a max player even if he were healthy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 9, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

guys....give the wizards a chance.....arenas is having a tough start pecherov is out....young and mcguire arent getting enough playing time.....give them a chance

Posted by: AGENT000 | November 9, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The team doesn't seriously need a win, either tonight or game 1, game 2, game 3, etc. You simply are reflecting EJ's bias, which has done more harm to the team than good.

How about some objectives like emphasizing team defense, moving the ball on offense and getting the young guys some quality time?

Posted by: Izman | November 9, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

....still no reason to worry AJ ????????

Posted by: James | November 9, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

absolutely pathetic. no fight in this team at all.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have some good packing boxes I can borrow?

Posted by: Mrs. Jordan | November 9, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I used to bump for EJ...but I think its time for a change...this team looks completely unprepared

Posted by: scrappy | November 9, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

As a die hard Bullet fan here, I don't know why I am enjoying this beatdown game tonight. Maybe it's because we're going to see Eddie gone by the end of the year and Gil signing for a cheaper contract. AND Jamison signing elsewhere. Ernie need to tell Gilby to shut his hole and let him complete the team. You can't have a GM pleasing it's player (See steveson).

Posted by: DeMj | November 9, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Why is Gil in the game with a knee that needs rest, when they are down by 31, and they have a game on sunday?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Eddie has to go immediately!! The team has stopped responding to him. The 'O' looks outdated. Isn't Larry Brown available?? Van Gundy?? At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the assistants take the helm. I really think they need a new voice.

Posted by: scrappy | November 9, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Utterly pathetic. That 3rd quarter effort was disgraceful. I know it's early in the season, but these fans didn't pay through the nose to watch a bunch of professionals pretend this is the Summer League.

They can at least pretend to have a sense of urgency. Or not. Maybe then we can get a coach who isn't intent on giving Roger Mason heavy minutes.

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

So.....Beasley, Rose, or Mayo?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I know some on here will rightfully say its only five games so don't panic. But when a team is blown out like this team is tonight and it takes them to their WORST start in 41 years, it is time to start considering solutions, maybe even radical ones. This was god-blanking awful and I quit watching and put on Rutgers-Army football so I wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 9, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Alright, now EJ is leaving in Arenas, who is clearly not healthy, in a 4th quarter blowout. This is psychotic behavior. Is anyone paying attention to this? Psychotic.

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

is there a precedent for a team firing coaches mid-year??? if so how did it turn out??

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

EDDIE MUST GO

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

George, more than anything, I hate it when people say' it's only one game or 5 game or 10 games. These boys had all summer to train just like any other team. There's no excuse to why they are playing the way they are. Unfortunately, no matter how bad things will get this year, we will have to wait until the season is over before we see Eddie gone. Pollin will not allow Ernie to make a bold move such as firing Eddie.

Posted by: Demj | November 9, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

This is utterly ridiculous that he is keeping Arenas in. Why not play Blatche and Haywood together? I just don't get it. and where is MacGuire? And Stephenson...he needs to be on the end of the bench.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 9, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope people don't really take satisfaction out of Eddie going, but surely he won't make it through the weekend. I like Jordan and I love Jamison, but I think the team is in quicksand if they stay.

Same as the Skins with Gibbs, Saunders and Cerrato.

Posted by: Kev | November 9, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

does anybody else feel like we signed up for 5 more years of this crap from Stevenson?? another contract year stud.

Posted by: scrappy | November 9, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I've watched the Wiz closely since the Jordan years (and attended 10+ games per year) and will say that the current team simply is not that good. There's no depth or team defense.

Let's be honest with ourselves- the only reason that the team won early last season is that Gil was "on fire". Not hating on them, just calling them as they are. I guarantee that of Eddie, Gil and Antwan, a max of one is remaining after the season (and that one won't be getting a max deal). Can anyone please tell me how this team makes the playoffs? The following list is 7 guaranteed playoff teams (in no particular order):

Celtics
Pistons
Raptors
Bulls
Cavs
Nets
Magic

Not much room for error for the Wiz.

Go Bobcats!

Posted by: Cats_Fan | November 9, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Who's available with, say, the 10th or 12th overall pick next draft?

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Roy Hibbert?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

embarassing!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

absolutely mortifying to be a wizards fan right now... i hope eddie is fired by monday. offensive coach can't produce offense, and has never produced defense. this team needs a different philosophy.

Posted by: se | November 9, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Ben's an optimist...I'm thinking #1 -5 in the draft....0-82??

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I am with you Cats_fan! Miami will take the final 8th spot on your list.

As for drafting Roy Hibert, I don't think he would be the answer. He may be a Brenda version of 2.5. We need someone who has a killer instinct and not afraid to lead the team. Nothing against Gilbert but he's not a leader. Heck, he is not even the captain of this team.

Posted by: DeMj | November 9, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually a pessimist. Would much rather suck hard and get the #1 pick than be mediocre and get the #10.

BTW, I love how the Wizards TV crew is trying to pick out silver linings. Why is everyone in the media around here so easy on this team?

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Because they're likeable guys Ben. Unfortunately, that's not gonna last much longer. We as Bullets fans know what it's like to suck, and I don't think anyone wants that anymore.

Posted by: Kev | November 9, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

FIRE EDDIE JORDAN!!!! Any dumb@$$ that makes andre' gaurd MELO should be fired....WHY would he put our big man to guard their go to guy on offense?!?!?!??! FIRE EDDIE!!!!

Posted by: buckhantzisgod | November 9, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

That was brutal! Don't really understand why Arenas was still in the game when they were down 30. Caron was playing well. Blatche did some good things. Gotta like what we have from our center position.

Nick Young, I don't know about him. He's got a smooth shot. But he just seems to kinda float around out there, he's not very quick. He looks half asleep, his style of play is not exactly what I would call intense.

I want to see McGuire on the floor.

Stevenson is just awful.

I gotta agree with the idea of bringing Jamison off the bench. I'd rather start either Blatche or Songaila. Bring Jamison in off the bench, he can play either forward spot depending on matchups. I just think he is too much of a liability defensively starting at the 4, and it hurts us more then we realize. Plus the bench really needs a reliable scorer that can come in and give us some offensive punch. Bring him in the game with Daniels.

I saw someone suggest an interesting trade idea. If Kobe is going to be moved... Jamison, Young, Pecherov, with 3 1st round picks (2 ours, 1 from Memphis) for Kobe. The deal for the Lakers is to rebuild for the future, they are getting 5 1st round picks (the 3 picks, plus the 2 rookie 1st rounders Young and Pesh). Plus replace Kobe's massive contract with Jamison's expiring deal which allows them to be players in the free agent market this offseason. Wizards have a team that can compete for a championship with a backcourt of Gil and Kobe, still have Caron, Songaila, Blatche, Haywood, Daniels, McGuire, Stevenson. The deal meets the salary guidelines. Kobe has to approve, but I think he'd be intrigued by playing with Gil, him and Caron are friends, same division as Shaq, and a high scoring offense oriented team. I think this is an interesting scenario.

Posted by: Darnell | November 9, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

It was disturbing to me the comment Eddie made after the NJ game saying they hadn't worked on playing against a zone. I mean what? How can you not have worked on that?? Through all of preseason and training camp, practice... I mean what are you doing where you don't work on something like that? Plus they have the entire starting 5 from last year, shouldn't they now what to do vs a zone?! I mean they are acting like it's something they've never seen before! It just makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Darnell | November 9, 2007 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Darnell,

You are absolutely right. We are looking at a core of players who have been together for 3 years. It is mind boggling to me that they need to be coached up when they see a zone. Is that dumb players, rebellious players, or is it coaching? I think EJ gave us the answer himself.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 9, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Gil, Deshaun S,Pecherov, for Kobe anyday.....

Posted by: Nate Dogg | November 9, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with the two above posts.

So you weren't prepared for the zone? Well who's fault is that??? Am I missing something here or is this supposed to be a professional team in the NBA? They should be prepared for every possible scenario that happens on the court, ESPECIALLY something as basic and common as a zone.

This team is so poorly prepared to play basketball right now it's just laughable.

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

i know its painful but please stop asking for McGuire and Young and talking about Missing Pecherov. Its the same postgame talk we used to have for Juan Dixon and Randell Jackson. McGuire and Young and Pech guys wouldnt make the roster, let alone be drafted, by a single NBA playoff team. Young is a consensus bust according to ever non-home-team analyst. They are years from being serious talent. do you guys ever watch other NBA teams? Just eat the pain. we are bad. turn away!!!

Posted by: eveyrone | November 9, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

So much for all the talk about continuity and chemistry giving us an advantage.

Denver looked really good. Glad to see KMart playing, and him with Melo, AI and Camby, they got a nice team. Two really bad blowouts on ESPN vs Nuggets and Celtics. After that performance ESPN might just ban us for the rest of the year.

Posted by: Darnell | November 9, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Kobe is not approving any trade to an o'fer team.
This is Gilbert's team, and he is hurting big time.
Caron is trying to make the all star team again, and is not doing the little things, like passing and running the floor, that
served him so well last year.
EJ is dead meat...where was Haywood in teh 3rd qurater, why were the starters out ther , down 25 in the 4th, with another road game on Sunday.
It seems that Ej wants out and is punishing all in his wake.
Of course like I have said, Pollin will not let one of his "chilluns" go easily...so we will have to settle for EJ, and the braodcast team covering for him.
The network telecast with Van Gundy, were all over the pathetic Wiz, with the exception that VG called EJ a great coach and does not deserve this. Also added was that VG is a very close friend of EJ...the "good ole boys network" at play.
UUUUGHHHHHH!

Posted by: mricklen | November 9, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

While we're at it, has Eddie ever considered sitting Arenas? He's not contributing a whole lot anyways. Time to rest him 10 games or so and let him heal instead of running him out there in 4th quarter blowouts.

Tough to go anywhere as a team when your leadership is this poor I guess. Very frustrating.

Posted by: Ben | November 9, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Why are we so bad this season? Same team as last. Etan didn't make ~that~ much of a difference. Maybe the conference just got better? Or if the big three isn't on, the team is just off?

Posted by: Larry | November 9, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Kobe is not the answer. I don't think any trade will solve the Wiz's problems. In fact I think we have some really nice players but they are young and need time to developer. This team is no different from last year except that Gibert is not healthy and won't be until 2008-09 season. Now the question is, does Arenas really want to come back?

Posted by: DeMj | November 9, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

List of coaching issues that I still see this year:
• Too dependent on offense when trying to match up.
• Not handling Gilbert but just letting him run things as he wishes.
• Never reducing playing time to get his point across to the big 3, but doing it to others.
• Loving small ball and consistently playing Songalia, Jamison, Blatche, and even Arenas (?) out of position.
• Underplaying the gravity of the situation verbally and with his body language while his rotations show that he feels desperate.
• Poor matchups - (like putting Jamison and Blatche in situations where they are doomed to fail)
• Not trusting raw defensive talent (D Mac) while trusting raw offensive talent (Young)

Certainly things like lack of energy and Gils's knee are not coaching. But I don't think we can lean on those few things and give the coach a free pass. He got that last spring. A few more blowouts like tonight, especially at home, and we could see Ernie G pull the plug. It is getting hard to root for us because I am now at the point where I think a coaching change is the best remedy right now. I watch now with little emotion and with very little hope even when we are ahead. If we were losing while developing our talent and they were playing hard and coached well it would be a different situation. But what we see now is downright disgusting.

Our bench players have specific skills that are usable but are not used at their strengths:

Daniels - playmaking and assists, pick and roll, open 10 footers, driving to the lane
Andre - Defense on some centers, great post moves, passing nice touch, runs life a Giselle.
DMac- defense, shot blocking and running the lanes
Songalia- picks, 15-18footers, pick and roll with AD
Young - creativity and shooting
Masons - streaky shooting

Instead we see players asked to do what they are not able to do. I just don't get it folks.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 9, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Its funny to see people requesting that EJ should be fired after 5 gmaes. I was asking for his head before the season started. EJ is a good coach for a young team that needs there coach to take them be there hand. This team is older now and they need a ole school coach to get in there Sh__ you know the rest.

Posted by: Rock Star | November 9, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Now this is called the CURSE of NAVARRO. The WIZ opted to sign-up Stevenson ( who doesn't know how to score ) and let go with the Best Player of Spanish League - Navarro. THIS IS WHAT WE GOT!! The WIZ should have considered the fact that GIL will not be as explosive as he was before. So they should have signed a scoring machine in Navarro's caliber!! It's GOODBYE PLAYOFFS FOR THE WIZ THIS SEASON.

Posted by: Ted | November 9, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

This is a perfect storm, so to speak for the Wiz. There was going to be a lot of pressure on this team before the season started. The assistant coaches were only given a year contract, not an extension like Eddie go. Next, everyone knows that Antwan is a free agent at the end of this year and makes more money than Gilbert and that can't happen in the future. If Antwan goes, then Gilbert opts out. Also, you have Gilbert coming off of a knee operation and he is not 100%. And lastly, every team in the East(Atlanta, Orlando, Boston, NY, etc) improved themsleves but the Wiz stood pat, pretty much. This is possibly the begining of the end of this fun run we have had for the past few years. As a season ticket holder, I will keep supporting them at this point. The season is 82 games long, it is a marathon, not a sprint. I would rather have this now, then in April like last year. I just don't know if they can dig themselves out if it gets too deep. Anyway you look at it, it should be an interesting year.

Posted by: Section 101 | November 10, 2007 1:07 AM | Report abuse

People, People - Kobe isn't interested in coming here. What makes you think he'd come here? Don't change horses mid stream..ride it out..just ride it out.

There are six teams that have yet to win a game. Its not really our business what he Kidd & Jefferson discussesd. We have to trust that the coaching staff knw whats best,

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2007 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's one bright spot. I elected to watch the game on espn rather than comcast (Buck and Chenier), and the play by play and analysis was sooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

Not that Bucky and Chenier are homers, but the quality of the analysis, the replays, and the production was heads and shoulders above.

Van Gundy was not shy about how the players on the team showed no effort in the 3rd quarter. I can't say that any or all of it is EJ's fault. The players gave up b/c they knew they couldn't win. They're using Gilby's knee as an excuse.

How many alley oops did we see against our D? Many. They were jumping all over Les BouleS. How many times did a Nugget player get put on their behind? Few to none. I don't think anyone on this team was going to challenge Kenyon Martin. Even Camby was dropping bombs from the outside like Rasheed.

Many times, the Nuggets ran a stupid play and gave up the ball, but Les BouleS did the exact same thing and ended up turning the ball right back over? Many.

VG commented that it was totally unfair to have AB guard a smaller and quicker Carmello due to AJ and DSong not being good enough. Also commented on how bad the guard play was in dishing off and setting up (i.e. when AD passed of too quickly and caused AB to travel). None of this analysis would have been given on comcast.

Some people on this board keep talking about "it's early, give them time." I think 5 games is enough time, and most of them were eventual blowouts.

BTW, DS laid yet another egg. Can't blame EJ for that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 1:10 AM | Report abuse

We suck! You can look at the Skins and you don't see good coaching. No halftime adjustments, no making the other team adjust to you etc etc.... The Wiz are the same way. Many of us who have been posting for a while have expressed all the negatives of this team and the coaching. I think what you are seeing now is the offensive brilliance of Arenas is not there to cover his and the rest of the team's warts. I know it's a long season, but with his knee being what it is, I think it's going to be a long season.

Posted by: Rob P | November 10, 2007 1:27 AM | Report abuse

DeMj I am with you, I am angry about this terrible start. And while I agree with one of the posters who said that Pollin has trouble letting go of people he likes, Ernie Grunfeld isn't just the GM, he is the president and that means that Pollin trusts him. He gave Grunfeld Susan O'Malley's title and given how Pollin felt about LaSooz that says it all.
The problem is, does Mike O'Koren make a difference or does Randy Ayers make a difference. That might not be enough.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 10, 2007 2:02 AM | Report abuse

I am so depressed right now.

The last few years, when the Wiz were good and fun, were such a blessing to our sports-depraved city.

We have such a good fan base for the Redskins. And even though VC is deadskies we have a good core crew of fans. We deserve more than this.

There isn't even any reason to list all the problems with the Wizards. Who do we want to keep on this team? I think

1. Gilbert
2. Blatche
3. Haywood, for the time being
5. Caron
6. Young (have to give him time)
7. McGuire (have to give him time)

AJ? Should trade now, get picks
AD? Done
DS? Looks like we got screwed for a while on this one
Pecherov? Who knows?
Songaila? Would be a solid 8th man on a good team, doesn't really help us here

Man this sucks. And to think, the monster loaded draft was this past year; who we gonna get that excites you next year? If we get Hibbert I might divorce the Wiz.

Posted by: Andy | November 10, 2007 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Firing the coach is always the easy, throw somebody to the wolves to appease the fans solution. But does anyone think that any of the team's assistant coaches would do any better? Are there any coaches on the market who would be willing to come in after the season started who would do any better?

Not really.

And pointing the finger of blame at Jordan is short-sighted and narrow-minded. It's up to the coaches to make the plan. It's up to the players to execute it. So far, I haven't seem much from the players holding up their end of the bargain either.

Posted by: kalorama | November 10, 2007 2:30 AM | Report abuse

I think a change in the lineup will come before a coaching change. Perhaps Nick Y or even DMac might crack the lineup. I really do not see how EJ goes without
EG in all fairness. Many of these personnel decisions were his, i.e. Desh Stevenson (Has no quickness or explosion since his knee problems.).

Posted by: Skeef | November 10, 2007 2:49 AM | Report abuse

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TIME THAT COMES WHEN THE WIZ ARE OVER .500 AND READY TO START THE PLAYOFFS AND ALL YOU WHINEY LITTLE BABIES THAT ARE TOO FAT AND OVERWEIGHT AND ARE LIVING VICARIOUSLY THROUGH THESE ATHLETES COME CRAWLING BACK ACTING LIKE YOUR THE #1 FAN IN THE WORLD.

BOO-YAH

Posted by: POOPFACE | November 10, 2007 2:59 AM | Report abuse

We need some toughness. Where is toughjuice??????? Knock somebody down....none of the wiz seem angry at all...Just pick up the check and go home.

Posted by: Dmal | November 10, 2007 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Just because we criticize does not mean we aren't real fans. We criticize because we expect the team to at least show some fight....they gave up.

Posted by: Dmal | November 10, 2007 3:04 AM | Report abuse

maybe spend some money on some talent.??

Posted by: Dmal | November 10, 2007 3:06 AM | Report abuse

As Gilbert goes so go the Wizards, and clearly Gilbert is not himself physically.

This is a difficult situation for a team that has had reasonable success in the recent past and reasonable expectations for improvement this year.

There are no quick fixes for this one, folks, only the hope that time will heal Gilbert's still-wounded knee and that in the meantime we can find out what the newer members of the supporting cast can actually do given significant minutes.

This year will start in the 2-12 range but it can still finish around .500 if we don't allow Gilbert's recovery to be slowed by using him too much now.

Posted by: khrabb | November 10, 2007 5:22 AM | Report abuse

I think we may see a lineup change before a coaching change. Problem is that he will probably do something like move Caron to the 2 spot. I am not sure that will solve anything. We need to develop our youth into a solid bench in the next 15 games and I just don't think EJ has enough long patience to ride it out. We are not gonna win a lot of these eraly games anyway.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 10, 2007 6:59 AM | Report abuse

For those that think a coaching change would be insignificant,
The coach establishes the offense. EJ has the supposed Princton offense. Trust me this is not the PO. In Ej'S PO, the guards walk the ball up , weave for a few minutes, and than go one on one. There are no screens, no picks, no give and goes...there is nothing but wasted moments and then pop.
The coach establishes and calls the defensive signals...EJ does not ever change the defensive signals....do we even have a zone?
The match ups and personnel to implement it are called by the coach.
The proper decisions by the coach atributes to the energy and mentality of the team on the floor and the attitude on the bench.
I see none of these attributes on this team, even when they were winning, with Gilbert carrying the baton for coach EJ.
He does not have him now, and he did not have him the end of last season...need I say more?

Posted by: mricklen | November 10, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Another idiotic comment by DC Moron - Gilbert only had a 1/2 season of dominant play.

I guess the past 3 years of being one of the top scorers in the NBA doesn't mean anything. So, your calculation of 3 NBA season is wrapped up in 42 games??

Also, now that the Wiz are clearly struggling due to Gil being hurt, how are the Wiz doing?

Posted by: Wizzz | November 10, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 01:10 AM

DC Mann88 I totally agree. I got a chance to see what someone, who by the way is not paid by the Wizards or Comcast, else's opnion was about the Wizards that is not slighted because of ties to the Wizards or Comcast.

It sounded to me like Van Gundy was able to see right off of the bat what was wrong with our defense. Remember, he learned under Pat Riley and his New York Team played "lights out defense".

Now do I want him here as coach, not really. He plays slow down ball and that is what got him fired in Houston. Now if he is willing to open his offense up a little more I might could work with him.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 10, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Wizzinator,

Yes, Gilby's breakout season was last season, 1st half. Prior to that, he was up and coming, but couldn't do anything but shoot/score. Now he can't do either.

Also, he can't carry the team. Where was Gilby during that west coast road trip last season? How far did Gilby carry Les BouleS into the playoffs the past 3 years?

Gilby hurt or not hurt, this team is still very undermanned and under powered. Also, they still don't play any defense.

If you think when/if Gilby comes back healthy and will be coming back with a superman cape to rescue Les BouleS, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Not really.

Posted by: kalorama | November 10, 2007 02:30 AM

Kalorama - I have been one who has been very critical of EJ's rotation calls during games the past three years. I have also mentioned lack of making adjustments during games and his lack of clock management as far as player's minutes were concerned.

I have also said I thought he was a good coach who had a very nice offensive game plan that brought out the best in players games (i.e. Gilbert, AJ, Larry Hughes & Jarred Jefferies). He never was a good defensive coach, but he hung his hat on outscoring the other team.

Now with Gilbert hurt, and the other two of the big three not doing their thing; comes the problem of finding something else to hang your hat on. Seeing that defense was never that, they are in some serious trouble.

Also, throw in EJ's inablity to sub correctly during games compounds the problem even more. Is it fair to "throw the coach" under the bus all of the time? Nope. But in this case it might we be.

The team clearly "QUITE" on EJ yesterday. Is it his fault totally, heck no. But the bottom line is his team "QUITE" on him at home and on NATIONAL TV. That is as bad as it gets.

Can one of the assistants presently there do anything better? Heck naw again, because they are Eddie's boys. However, there is one dude on that bench who is not one of Eddie's boy who I think we could use as a Bernie Bickerstaff type coach.

That my friend would be Ed Tabscott. He could hold the fort down for a year until we find a young assistant coach from the Spurs, Dallas, or Suns. During that time, evauations can be made on players and then we could wait to see how the Gilbert AJ thing turns out.

Sometimes a change has to made at the top to try to get a pulse back into the players. Is this always right or fair, nope. But something has to be done to righten this ship. It is taking on a ton of water and it is sinking real fast.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 10, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Let's talk about possible solutions.

Since Gilbert isn't himself, he hasn't been able to get the offense going like he used to. Even though Daniels hasn't been playing that well, I would start him, move Gilbert to SG, and move Stevenson to the bench. Daniels will give the team a different rhythm, like he did at the end of last season. You've got to shake things up, and I think that would be the best move.

Then, reduce Songalia's minutes. He is a decent player, but he's not earning the minutes he gets. Give those minutes to Blatche.

If a coaching change is needed, DO NOT hire a current assistant. You hire an assistant to keep some continuity. Why would you want to keep any continuity?!

Posted by: Sean | November 10, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Bullets Fever #1 learn how to spell "quit". It is Q U I T not Q U I T E.

Wow what grade are you in?

Posted by: SkipInVA | November 10, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

And I just read Wise's column-- "Let's be clear: This is not about the coach." What is it with the Post's writers? Has the Sports editor told them never to criticize Eddie Jordan?

So Wise's position is that if your star player is hurt, BUT he's still playing 40 minutes a game and is still pretty effective (averaging about 20 points a game), the team can go 0-82 and the coach is blameless? How about Jim O'Brien, without his best player and his center, beating the Wizards in the opener? He didn't need an excuse.

Very strange.

There was one hilarious moment (to me any way) from last night's game. Just prior to tipoff, Comcast showed a guy sitting behind Jordan nudging Jordan's arm and offering him some Altoids. For what seemed like a half a minute, Jordan kept plucking Altoids out of the container one-by-one, grabbing about 10 of them. I had to wonder who that Altoids guy was. Was he an assistant coach? Imagine his job interview:

Coach: "What will my responsibilities be? Running the team through defensive drills?"

Grunfeld: "No, you'll be monitoring Eddie's halitosis."

Posted by: Sean | November 10, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Ready to Rule? Get the out of here.

Posted by: Stick | November 10, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

You chumps think the Wizards are still going to win 50 and beat Boston???

You people aren't too smart on here.

This organization has to be THE WORST medically advised EVER. Players get hurt but never play again in Washington due to horrible medical advice. And if they do play, they aren't the same.

Add Gilbert Arenas to that list.

Posted by: blog scrubz | November 10, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise is a moron. He's also a New York guy. When the Post first hired him he wrote about nothing but the Yankees and the Knicks at first. His article in today's Post about last night's game made me wonder if he'd actually seen it. More Songaila? Less Blatche? None of it was Eddie Jordan's fault, apparently. From where I was sitting that debacle last night (on home court) was a tale of two coaches. Denver's young players are fired up by Karl and ready to make a difference--JR Smith, for all his many mistakes out there, was a one-man wrecking crew. Karl called time-outs at the right times, made defensive adjustments, and ragged the refs when he thought his guys had been fouled. Jordan's time-outs did nothing, he made no adjustments at either end, and he ragged his young guys instead of the refs.

So when is a coach accountable, Mike? After they go 0-6? 2-20?

There's been a lot of talk on boards about 'who's out there' and who will end up being the next Wizards' coach. The consensus seems to be that Tapscott or Ayers will get the interim job while next year's coach is recruited. Jeff Van Gundy was loudly auditioning for the job in Boston, though he joined in the 'Eddie's great' chorus last night. Mike Fratello has been mentioned, so has Larry Brown, though I highly doubt he'd be interested. A number of assistants on other teams have been mentioned, though I'm personally hoping management has learned its lesson from Jordan and never hires another assistant again. Turns out it's a mindset, not just a job.

Of all the names that have been mentioned only one stands out in my mind: Bill Laimbeer. Critics say they hate him, the guy's Darth Vader, and has no NBA experience. He's won three WNBA titles, which makes him a girls' coach. Well, the team I watched last night played like a bunch of girls. Darth Vader is just what they need.

Posted by: KTV | November 10, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

KTV your the moron. Drank the koolaid just like all the rest, now you are pissed. You should have known better! Both Eddie and EG should go. Ernie for saddling EJ with both GA and AJ and for not seeing they their success in strenches last year was a mirage against bad teams. EJ should go simply for not trusting youth enough

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Wizzinator,

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 08:29 AM

Take your pick...

Posted by: Wizzz | November 10, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with people who have said that the Wiz quit in last night's game. It isn't the personality of the team to quit, never has been going back many years. I will criticize the Wiz all day long for various shortcomings, but this is not a team of quitters.

Posted by: Mitch | November 10, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Bullets Fever #1 learn how to spell "quit". It is Q U I T not Q U I T E.

Wow what grade are you in?

Posted by: SkipInVA | November 10, 2007 09:19 AM

Hey my man. It was a typo. Give a brother a break. Can you comment on the basketball issue instead of looking for grammar errors in a quickly typed post?? Dang...

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 10, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I've seriously seen Pick-up games with more offensive sets run then I saw by the Wizards last night. 5 separate people on the floor doing their own thing. That was pathetic ZERO team chemistry. And I don't even want to start on the defence or how Blatche got school on the boards by Martin and Camby.

Together we stand divided we fall and we are falling like a rock.

Posted by: pg posse | November 10, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Wizz. Despite all of the crticism about GA, this team cannot win without his scoring. And that will not improve until he's healthy. Now, if EJ had played the subs last year, we might have a confident AB to help pick up the lack. Anyway, the main thing we need to do now is rest Gil ( he should never play more than 30 minutes) take our lumps, and get the rookies minutes. By January, if we're lucky, Gil is rounding into better shape, our rooks have experience and we can make a run. What EJ will do is reduce GA's minutes slightly, increase CB and AJ's minutes and still play young guys sparingly. I predict a AJ breakdown in Feb due to heavy minutes.

Posted by: mark | November 10, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Jordan has a three year contract, but the third year is a team option. So he is guaranteed only this season and next.

Start looking.

Posted by: Wei | November 10, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify to Wise, Carter and Lee, we aren't calling for a new coach because of 0-5. That's just the latest demonstration of mediocre coaching.

Jordan has been an ok coach at best. He has not gotten consisent defensive effort from his team. When the shots aren't falling, the Wizards lose, and lose bad.

Sometime this season would be an ideal time from a 3 to 5 year planning perspective to get a new coach in here who the young team and core - Pech, Blatche, Young, Mcguire, Arenas, and Butler - can grow with and get to the next level.

With Eddie only gettng a two year contract (the third year of the the three year contract is a team option) and the assistants getting just one year extensions, Ernie Gruenfeld has been keeping this option open for some time.

Ask yourself this - would any other team in the NBA, aside from one with a cheap owner looking for a temporary fill in coach for a young bottom tier team, hire Eddie Jordan as coach? That was the Wizards situation, but no playoff team would hire this guy. Ask any of your league sources.

Posted by: Wei | November 10, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The biggest problem Wizards face this season is the turnovers. In the past season, Wizards have always averaged less turnovers than their opponents. This season they are turning the ball over 2.4 more times than their opponents. Their offense just does not flow well. Their passes are not crisp and either lazy or miss the target completely.

I wonder when will they have a team meeting and decide to go back to "Wizards' basketball" (borrow the term from "Redskin football"): let's just play offense without worrying about defense! LOL! (Of course this is expressed in a tongue-in-cheek manner.)

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 10, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Gilbert should take Jason Kidd's advice and give his doctor a call. Afterwards Gil should shut it down for about two weeks and see how he feels at that point.

In the meantime, I would like to see EG give Earl Bokins a call. I know he does not play great "D", but the little dude can score with the best of them when he gets hot. We only have AD as our only real "1" and he does not look like he did last year. Our backcourt is in trouble.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 10, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Which west coast trip are you referring to last season - the one where Gil went off and beat Phoenix and poured in 60 against Kobe and the Lakers?? Or was it the buzzer beater against Seattle??

Take your pick...

Posted by: Wizzz | November 10, 2007 10:24 AM "

Actually, it was the ill fated 1-4 west coast road trip where Les BouleS couldn't beat lottery teams and teams missing their stars. It was the one where Caron was out with his back injury. Yeah, Seattle, the one without Ray Allen.

Tue, Mar 20 @ Portland L 98-100
Wed, Mar 21 @ Seattle W 108-106
Fri, Mar 23 @ Golden State L 128-135
Sat, Mar 24 @ LA Clippers L 105-111
Mon, Mar 26 @ Utah L 97-103

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Take your pick...

Posted by: Wizzz | November 10, 2007 10:24 AM "

Actually, it was the ill fated 1-4 west coast road trip where Les BouleS couldn't beat lottery teams and teams missing their stars. That was when they were fighting to hang on to the 7th spot, but ended up in the 8th spot. It was the one where Caron was out with his back injury. Yeah, Seattle, the one without Ray Allen. Portland w/o Zach, GS with Stephen Jackson, LA w/o Cassell and Livingston

Tue, Mar 20 @ Portland L 98-100
Wed, Mar 21 @ Seattle W 108-106
Fri, Mar 23 @ Golden State L 128-135
Sat, Mar 24 @ LA Clippers L 105-111
Mon, Mar 26 @ Utah L 97-103

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It's clear that whether Gilgy is in the game or not, the Wiz lose anyway. So, Gilby might as well take all the time he needs until he's 100% healthy. He is definitely not a max contract player though, and it's good for EG to use as bargaining chip when it comes time to talk money.

Here's a funny thing, but guaranteed thing. Even if Gilby is gone for most of the first half, and if by chance he gets voted to the all star game, it's incredibly likely that he will play anyway. His ego and thirst for the limelight won't allow him not to.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise's article was a joke, I don't know what it is with the Post writers being in bed with Eddie Jordan. 5 more losses boys, I'm praying for it, no way EJ stays around at 0-10.

Posted by: MikeBHay | November 10, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Jordan can only coach the players he has. He has no answers because our squad consists of guys that would not get any minutes on contending teams.

We read here in this space that guys like mcguire, pechnikov, and young were 'really impressing' and 'were ready to step up and contribute'. It's clear that they aren't and that it was a gross miscalculation by the front office. Hard to believe that veteran reporters would continue to chug the kool aid.

Last year, we were lead to believe that this team had what it took to win the east and cruise to 50 wins. The convenient excuse was injuries and we were told to trust continuity above acquiring anyone meaningful. Now we see what that brought us.

Stevenson for 3 more years with his busted jumper, a revolving door of young players that might be ready to help someone by the time they leave here, and an unwillingness to make a big deal that could have vaulted the team to the next level to compete with the elite. Instead, we sat back, refused to go out and spend, and watched all the other teams get better. The window has closed.

Eddie Jordan didn't make the decision to sign Etan Thomas to a HORRIBLE contract and then refuse to sign another player to fill his vacant roster spot. EJ didn't hang up the phone when Minnesota called about KG or decide that children that couldn't get off the bench for any of the competing teams in the league were the answer to our depth issues.

It's sad that I saw this coming and those that are professionally paid to make these decisions and those that cover these decisions seem to be blind sided. You're telling me no one knew Arenas would be slow to get back to his old self after KNEE SURGERY!!! No thanks, we're good with a hobbled play maker, 1 center on the roster who's by all accounts a cancer and gets compliments for playing hard in spurts when you're supposed to play hard all the time, and no impact players off the bench besides a slow role player who's making starter money for the next 4 years despite never averaging 10 and 5 for a season. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Bernard King | November 10, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope the team goes 0-20 and just starts rebuilding now. Eddie is going to get fired. Antawn is going to leave...Gil will to after this pathetic season. So we should try to trade one if not both of them before the trade deadline. Just go young and rebuild like the twolves or portland. Also I hope all of you see that Ernie Grunfeld and Eddie Jordan are both overrated and should both get fired. This team will never win unless we go over the luxury tax b/c ernie is overpaying so many people........going to have to blow up the team and rebuild!!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

That princeton offense can only go so far in the NBA before coaches figure ways to shut it down! And will everyone realize the wizards did nothing in the off-season to improve the team going further into the playoffs than they did in the past. The team is loaded with role players! Where are the PTP's? Arenas has such bad judements when it comes to taking shots in crucial times, he will not pass out of a double team, as witness against the Nets, nor realize, you can make a play without shooting the ball. He is believing that Agent Zero/Hero crap! Fire Ernie and Eddie!

Posted by: OleScholG | November 10, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least one of you has to be happy . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Why anyone would post under the name of Bernard King is beyond me--the guy who played hard only during contract years and dogged it the rest of his career with the Bullets. If you really were Bernard King you'd know that EJ personally championed Thomas, and that Pollin personally signs off on all contracts--when he's not actively dictating the terms of them. You'd also maybe know that Pecherov was injured and hasn't played regularly yet and that Young and McGuire haven't been given enough minutes to support your opinions of them. As for players who aren't wanted by contending teams: aside from the obvious--that Butler is coveted by plenty of them--last time I looked Detroit was a contender and was pretty well stocked with ex-Wizards, including a Jarvis Hayes who's suddenly found his 'J'. The difference couldn't be in the coaching, could it?

Hey, maybe you really are Bernard King, and that's why you're trashing your old teammate Ernie G. Because 'by all accounts' the real Bernard King doesn't have a friend left in the game. Unlike that 'cancer' Haywood who has plenty.

Posted by: KTV | November 10, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: OleScholG | November 10, 2007 03:14 PM "

The point guards on this team, along with the rest, are just not smart enough and not convinced enough to run the Princeton. Clearly JKidd could do it, so EJ needs to scrap the idea that hasn't worked since he's been here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 10, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse